• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
House Habsburg, winter of 1519-1520

DISCLAIMER: My AAR’s will contain some parts of the Wheel of Time novels by Robert Jordan. Be they happenings in the book, things that are likely to happen in one of the next books, or things that likely have happened, or things that could have happened. As such, I would advice anyone who is in the process of reading the series to be aware that I might be giving away some plotlines.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Seventh Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Alps. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.
Born among the snowy peaks and icy dales that made up most of the Alps, the cold wind blew east and north across the numerous passes in the Alps, filled with the organised busyness that were the camps of the Habsburg army. The wind sent a chill down the spine of every man outside.

But the wind blew further still, north and east, slowly losing some of its freezing cold, until it reached Vienna, Seat of the governor of Austria. Georg, on the way to a meeting with his lords, Karl, or Carlos, Ruler of all of House Habsburg, and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, and Ferdinand, who ruled Austria in the name of his brother. They had demanded his secrecy, and thus he was forced to walk the way from his camp to the palace, even so, he hid deep in his cloak, wondering to himself if it was just the secrecy, or that the wind had more of an effect to him than he was willing to admit. Suddenly, the wind seemed to gain strength, and became even colder. Ducking even deeper into his cloak, it seemed the wind settled into him, became part of him, or woke a part of him he had never known.

Chuckling, he continued his way to the palace, eventually reaching it, and entered through a little used backdoor. He made his way to a room that was used only for secretive councils like these, knocked softly, and after a knock on the door from the other side, he waited a few seconds, then slowly entered the room, bowing as he entered, ”my lords”.

“You have received our orders?” Emperor Karl was never a man of formality in those secretive meetings, “Are they secret, are they safe?”
“Certainly, milord,” less formal, but that didn’t mean Georg would not be punished if he did not show proper respect.
“Excellent, although I am afraid there has been a change of plans.”
”A change, milord? “
”Withdraw as many men as you can from the borders, without leaving them too vulnerable, it seems the Turk is up to something,” Ferdinand nodded, a nod of not liking, but agreeing that it was all that could be done.
”I will see to it at once, milord.”
”One more thing, the Turks seem to have an army larger than ever, and will likely outnumber us 6 to 1 or worse.”
”May we shelter safe beneath the Light, in the Creator’s hand” Georg muttered. ”Sorry, what did you say?”
”Nothing, my lord.” Yet, at the same time, he thought to himself - what was that, where did that come from- but he didn’t know, as a matter of fact, he had no idea at all.
” with your, permission, my lords, I will carry out your orders at once,” Bowing, and moving backwards, he reached the door, slowly opened it, looked both ways before stepping out, and made his way out of the palace, and back towards the camp.

That night, sleep wouldn’t come to Georg, and his mind wandered back to the incident of that day, speaking words he would never have used. -My apologies, those words were mine-
Never before Georg had been so fast out of bed, trembling, but his sword was steady in his hand.”Who’s there?” Georg demanded.
-Trickster, gambler, son of battles… Toy... I have been named many names, I had a real name too, but it is of no importance-
”Where are you, why are you here?”
-I was hoping you could tell me the first, to the second, I am here to help you, you have an important role in the Pattern, you have seen many a battle, and will see many more, but I know more battles than you would even believe have been fought-
”Pattern, what pattern?” Georg was almost crying, -what curse of Satan has caught me-
-Don’t ever speak that name, it draws the attention of the Dark One-
-What name? And why do you know what I think? How do you know I have fought many a battle, or that I am important?-
-Shai’tan, thinking it is barely safe, but NEVER speak it out. Your questions, I wouldn’t know, but the Pattern has strange ways to guide people to ensure that the Wheel continues to turn-
-Pattern, Wheel ?-
-What strange Age did I end up in that doesn’t know the Pattern or the Wheel? The Pattern and the Wheel ARE this world. The wheel moves it, make things happen, and everything has its influence on the Pattern-
-Nonsense! The Lord created the world in 6 days, and he sent his Son to save us. But leave me now! I must be rested if I am to save Austria from the vile Turks-
-Turks? What are they like? People that look like animals?-
-They don’t look like animals, no, but they fight like beasts, their army is formidable, their cavalry seldom, if ever, beaten, and there seems to be no end to them-
-I have seen enough battles where superior cavalry was beaten by determined infantry, do not worry. The Light willing, and with my help, you will win this-

”What do you think, my brother, will we be able to stop the Turk?”
”Whether or not we are able, it does not matter, we simply must,” Ferdinand paused, and shivered, ”And then there is the French, ever pushing into Italy, they must be stopped as well. And if that was not enough, the Empire crumbles with the preaching of these heretics, just now that the Empire needs unity the most.”
”The situation is indeed dire, my brother, but I am convinced that the Doge of Venice will help us, and Zygmunt will not stand by idly when the Turk comes”
”I can but hope you are right, and pray for the strength to survive the onslaught that will be upon us soon.”

Austria 1520-1540

DISCLAIMER: My AAR’s will contain some parts of the Wheel of Time novels by Robert Jordan. Be they happenings in the book, things that are likely to happen in one of the next books, or things that likely have happened, or things that could have happened. As such, I would advice anyone who is in the process of reading the series to be aware that I might be giving away some plotlines.

terangreal.gif

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Seventh Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Bosporus. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.
Born among the Turkish camps, bustling with activity, it was a wind that was almost wet with blood, poised to blow northwest into Europe and envelop all of Christianity in doom. The wind howled on the plains of Hungary, striking fear into the hearts of many a Hungarian.

But the wind blew further still, north and west, slowly losing some of its momentum, almost reaching Vienna, Seat of the governor of Austria. Georg, back on his way from a meeting with his lords, Karl, or Carlos, Ruler of all of House Habsburg, and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, and Ferdinand, who ruled Austria in the name of his brother, let his thoughts drift over recent events. Now that the Turk had, as expected, invaded Hungary, events had run as prepared, the moment the first Turkish soldier had set foot on Hungarian soil, an envoy had left Vienna, carrying a simple message in blood-red ink:
“to the Sultan, Suleyman,
die Infidel!
His majesty, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, King of Spain,
Carlos I.”​

Of course, this message meant war, and Georg had left for his command immediately. In the past two years the army had seen a massive increase, mostly cavalry, to be ready for the Turk, training had become more determined then ever, but Georg had trouble having hope.
-Know your enemy, know your terrain, and the battle is almost won.- The thoughts he came to refer to as Trickster kept reminding him of that, but Georg still feared for his sanity, and indeed, for his health in the upcoming war.

Arriving at camp, Georg immediately gave orders to pack, and be ready to march in a day.
“Men, the day has come, the Turk is invading Hungary, it is up to YOU to save Christianity, but the Lord marches with us!”
A loud cheer engulfed the camp. “Death to the Infidel!” “For Bavaria!” “For Austria!” “For Hungary!”
Yet some cheers were remarkably absent, the cheers of the northern territories of the Empire, where the heresy was spreading like a wildfire.

Some 30 days later, the Austrian and Turkish armies met for the first time on the plains of Hungary. Fighting was fierce, and casualties on both sides were high. Georg was observing the battle from a small hill, with a large cavalry force, invisible for the enemy he hoped, waiting behind it.
-Now! Send in the cavalry now!-
Indeed, it seemed to be the best moment to send in the cavalry. Georg motioned the cavalry forward, and into the battle. ”Los, los caba’drin!” Georg shivered, he didn’t know what he had said, but fortunately the motions were enough to send the cavalry forward.
-Forward, Forward the Cavalry! That’s what it means-
-But what IS it?-
-It’s the Old Tongue-
-Old Tongue? I know Latin, and it surely is not Latin-
-Never mind, some things I cannot explain-

-Would you look at that! What a magnificent sight- And indeed it was, the cavalry charge had scattered the Turkish lines, and the Turks were fleeing in disarray, with both cavalry and infantry hot on their heels. Peering in the distance Georg saw one of the Turkish banners go down. -Excellent, most excellent indeed-
-You see, well trained infantry can stand to anyone, but a well timed cavalry charge can change a battle as well-
-It is as you say, now we must make sure the Turks can’t regroup, this war is far from over- These words proved to be prophetic, for in 1528 the war still ravaged Hungary.

-As I feared, the Bohemians were not trained well enough, they didn’t fit in the army, or, most of them didn’t, anyway-
-True, but they increased our numbers, and some of them have proved quite able-
-Bah! All they did is keep back the Turks for a while, but it won’t end the war, we must go to the offensive.-
-An offensive? Are you mad? Surely we cannot hope to mount a successful offensive.-
-Of course we can, the cavalry is swift and well disciplined, we can beat them on their own ground.-

The next few weeks were spent in busy preparation, and the Austrian camps outside Buda from afar looked like anthills. One night, Georg had a very vivid dream, he dreamed of standing in the camp, overlooking the siege of a huge city, surely that was Constantinople, but HE leading a siege against it? Suddenly, he saw a huge Turkish army marching towards the camp he was in, and he knew they would be retreating within hours. The image shifted, and he saw himself, standing, fighting a group of turks, and he knew he was dying, then, there. Suddenly the image shifted again, and he saw not a single soldier anymore, no horses either, but the tents and catapults were there. The light had changed, too, it was light everywhere, but he couldn’t find where it came from. He wondered what had happened when suddenly someone appeared from behind one of the tents. The man wore a dark-hooded cloak, and seemed to be armed with what looked like a spear, yet it looked strange, almost as if someone put a sword on top of a spear.
The man nervously fingered a scarf around his neck, then spoke: ”Hello Georg, you look surprised to see me.”
Georg shivered at the thought that a man he did not seem to know knew him. ”One never knows what the Pattern has in store, here, you must take this ring.” A ring suddenly drifted from the man, to him, and landed about a foot in front of him.
”But why?” -again someone talking of a Pattern, could it be coincidence?-
”Wear this ring when you go to sleep, and we can meet here, but now, I must go, good luck” With those words, the man suddenly disappeared again.
Georg took the ring, and looked at it with a sharp eye, the ring seemed to twist, he couldn’t keep his eye focused on it, except for some unintelligible signs on it, Tai’shar Manetheren, but what it meant, he had no idea.

When Georg woke up, he found himself clutching a ring in his fist, and like in his dream, he had trouble keeping his eyes focused on it, except for the two groups of signs, Tai’shar Manetheren, could they be words? Georg decided to keep the ring in his pocket, and tried to put it out of his head, for today, they would ride into Ottoman occupied land.

Mere months later, Georg was overlooking the siege of Constantinople, as he suddenly saw a large column of Turkish soldiers approach. He immediately tried to arrange an orderly withdrawal, and called for a messenger. Images flashed through his head, he again saw the images as they were so many nights before. As the messenger arrived, he handed him a few letters, one of them heavy with the weight of the strange ring. ”Here, take these to Vienna, the east gate, tell the guards it’s for Anton, and they’ll know what to do. Ride fast, go!”
The messenger saluted ”Yes sir! At once, sir!”

”Move out!” With those words, the siege of Constantinople was at an end. Far in the west, a lonely rider rode fast towards Hungary. The disciplined Austrian cavalry rode calmly to the north, but then, suddenly, Constantinople must have been about two weeks back, had they ridden at full speed, they were attacked in the rear. Georg immediately ordered a stand be made by the rear guard, so that the rest could escape, he himself rode back, as he had seen this moment, almost every night this last week, and he knew that he had to fight for any to survive this.

Bleeding from numerous wounds, Georg sank to his knees, then fell over, and in a last gust of blood from his mouth, he managed to mutter “Lord, let it be enough.”

Last edited:
The treaty of Firenze​

The Holy Roman Emperor hereby proclaims the Republic of St. Mark as the holy and eternal protector of the Duchy of Firenze for the services granted our Throne and Nation. It will be our loyal subjects sole prerogative to appoint ruler, authorities and bailiffs in the province and when such are not available or appointed to enjoy the taxes and benefits of the land for maintaining the one and only faith in this realm.

The treaty of Breslau​

After years of bitter enmity, King Zygmunt the third and Archduke and Emperor Rudolf the second, have put aside their differences, and have united in the face of the combined threat of the Heretics in the north and west and the Heathens in the south and east.
Let the world know that they have agreed on the following matters.

Firstly,
As a sign of good will, Poland will return authority over Breslau and its surroundings, the German lands west of the Oder river, to Austria.​

Secondly,
Austria will accept the authority of the Commonwealth over Ungvár and its surroundings, the mountainious region that is the southern defense of the Polish plain against the Heathens.​

Thirdly,
both Austia and the Commonwealth pledge to fight for the one true religion, Catholicism.​

Fourthly,
seeing the results of enmity, Austria and the Commonwealth both pledge that in the event that an issue rises, everything will be done to preserve the peace between the two nations​

Hereby signed,

Rudolf the second,
Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire,
Archduke of Austria,
King of Bohemia,
King of Hungary.

Zygmunt the third,
King of Poland,
King of Lithuania,
King of Ruthenia,
rightful king of Sweden.

Rumour has it, that a second, secret, treaty was signed on that fateful day aswell, but noone can tell if its true, and if it is, what is in it.

shield_HEI.gif
~ The Holy Roman Empire and Austria ~
shield_HAB.gif

For years and years, enemies on all sides had beset Austria. To the south and west, France had slowly increased its domains and was now attempting to push for a Rhine border, thus threatening the Austrian Vorderlande, and the territories of the Count Palatine of the Rhine.
In the east, the Ottoman Turks still controlled most of Hungary and the Balkans. To the North-east were Austria’s friends, Poland, and to the North were the various independent German states, most notably Brandenburg, who were mostly friendly to Austria, although a controversial treaty had been drafted to gain Louis XIV, king of France, the title of Holy Roman Emperor.

However, things seemed to take a turn for the worse, when it became apparent that the King of Spain, Charles II, would die without a direct heir. This was especially threatening, as it seemed that the grandson of the French king would be the most likely candidate to succeed him. However, Charles had foreseen that this would greatly upset the long-standing balance of power in the world, and thus chose for a Habsburg, Duke Charles, who would ascend the throne as Carlos III.

However, Louis XIV, the king of France, was unwilling to accept this decision, and this lead to the War of Spanish Succession.

shield_SPA.gif
~ The War of Spanish Succession ~
shield_HAB.gif

On November 15th, 1700, Carlos III was consecrated king of Spain, but this would not remain without consequences. Mere months later, in January 1701, French troops were crossing the Pyrenees into Spain, in February, the Netherlands had also engaged in the war on the side of France. After that, one after the other nation chose sides, and a war of gigantic proportions engulfed Europe.

In April, it seemed that everyone who had interests in this had made up his mind. France and the Netherlands were facing the Habsburg coalition of Spain and Austria and their allies, the English, Polish, Bavarians and various minor German duchies. At the same time, the Scandinavian alliance, Sweden and Denmark, sought to take control of trade in Indonesia from the Netherlands.

A brutal war followed, with victories for the various sides following each other quickly, but by 1704 it became apparent that France and the Netherlands would not be able to keep up the struggle. The Scandinavian alliance gained Mallaca from the Netherlands, and France was forced to accept Carlos’ decision regarding the inheritance, but no further lands were exchanged.

Some say that the great victories of Prince Eugene of Savoy against some of the finest French generals, thereby securing the Vorderlande, and even occupying neighbouring French territories, and the routing of the French army in Italy should have lead to some lands being granted to Austria, but in the end, it was deemed sufficient to have France acknowledge Carlos the III’s inheritance.

shield_HAB.gif
~ Austro-Ottoman wars for Hungary ~
shield_HUN.gif

After the War of Spanish Succession, some 120,000 Austrian veterans, under the inspiring leadership of Prinz Eugen, and various other skilled generals, marched east, back to Austria. Back in Austria, their ranks were filled with fresh volunteers from all around the country, and plans were made to liberate Hungary from Turkish oppression.

In July, 1706, Austrian and Imperial troops stood ready along a long front to engage the Turks. Turkish resistance was quickly broken in a series of pitched battles, and many a fortress was taken by storm. In less than two years, every Turkish fortress north of the Danube was either taken, or besieged, by Austrian troops. Various forts south of the Danube were also taken. In September, 1708, the Turks were forced to surrender, and most of Hungary was now free.

A short period of peace followed, but by 1720, Ottoman troops were amassing along the Austrian border. Frantic negotiations followed, even the French king attempted to mediate, but to no avail. In February 1722, after putting down an Ottoman-funded rebellion, Prinz Eugen once again led the Austrian troops over the border, and into Ottoman lands. Only 20 months later, the Austrian armies had routed the Ottoman armies once again, and were even laying siege to Constantinople when word arrived that the Sultan accepted the Austrian demands, and ceded the last of the Hungarian territories to Austria.

shield_HEI.gif
~ The Brandenburg crisis~
shield_PRU.gif

The Emperor is deeply concerned about recent actions taken by the Electorate of Brandenburg, being the full incorporation of Oldenburg, Sachsen and Wurzburg* into their dominion, contrary to the Emperor’s wish. The Emperor would prefer a peaceful solution, but unfortunately the Brandenburger ambassador had been recalled from Vienna at the time**.

Furthermore, the Elector’s claim to the title of King confuses the Emperor greatly, as it is common knowledge that the highest title under the Emperor is prince, and a kingdom within the empire is thus impossible.

* I know that Wurzburg will be released by edit
** Brandenburg was AI at the time

shield_PRU.gif
~ Das Rheingold ~
shield_HAB.gif

~ The Baltic War ~

In the year 1730 A.D. Austria was at peace, however, this peace was not to last, as Sweden still held lands that were rightfully Prussian, and Austria had pledged itself to Prussia’s cause, as Prussia has pledged itself to Austria’s cause.

Prussia had hoped to gain enough momentum to defeat Sweden alone, or with the help of Poland, who had been the victim of Swedish aggression in recent years, aswell. However, this was not to be, and in September, 1732, after all diplomatic attempts to solve the matter had failed, the Archduke ordered his most trusted generals to prepare the troops to support Prussia in it’s rightful strife.

In June, 1734, things seemed to take a turn for the worse, as the cunning Swedes managed to bribe the Poles into accepting peace for only the return of Polotsk to the Commonwealth. However, the Austrian and Prussian spirit remained unscathed and soon their combined forces had reached the objectives set before the war. However, the Swedes continued to refuse the generous peace-terms, and so the war continued…

All in all, it took until late 1738 for the first signatures to be put under the peace treaty, and in January 1739, the final signature was set, and Austria, Prussia and the Netherlands, and their opponents, Denmark and Sweden, were at peace again.

However, peace was unlikely to last, as France soon again began to express their territorial greed, aiming for a Rhine border..

shield_HAB.gif
~ Die Walküre ~
shield_HEI.gif

~ Maria-Theresa becomes Archduchess ~

October was a month of grief, as the great Archduke Karl, the sixth of this name, who had aptly guided his nation through a series of hard conflicts, fell ill, and died. Yet, it was not all grief, as his daughter, Maria-Theresa accepted the title of Archduchess the same month, and her husband, Franz I, was elected Holy Roman Emperor.

All seemed well, as the pragmatic sanction had been ratified by all countries whom it could concern. However, it was discovered that due to the death of Bavaria’s Duke Maximilian II Emanuel, and the succession by his son, Charles Albert, the documents prepared, had remained unsigned, and had disappeared into an archive. Some people immediately jumped to conclusions and claimed that Maria Theresa’s rule was against the law, the situation was quickly corrected, but the stubborn French refused to relent, and stood with their claim that the Vorderlande could not be ruled by the Archduchess, but should be ruled by them..
shield_HAB.gif
~ Siegfried ~
shield_PRU.gif

~ The great generals of this age ~

War seems inevitable, and the Austrian armies are on full alert. Archduchess Maria Theresa has entrusted the defence of the Archduchy to her husband, Franz I, the Emperor. Franz is a wise man, and he has appointed great generals to lead the armies of the Archduchy, and the Empire. These great Generals are, in no particular order, Von Laudon, Sachsen and Von Daun, these are not the only ones, but they are the ones to which overall command will be entrusted. It is also hoped that the Great King of Prussia, Friedrich II, will join his allies in battle leading the proud Prussians to war once more.

These great men shall face infamous French such as Lally, de Saxe and Noailles.

But with God on our side, we surely cannot fail to slay these false "gods" of France..

Last edited:
shield_HAB.gif
~ Habsburg rule in Spain overthrown ~
shield_SPA.gif

It is a sad day to see that rebellious elements in the Spanish Government, no doubt funded directly from Paris, have managed to formally remove their queen from the throne and instead install a French puppet monarch.
Furthermore, it saddens us to see that the French king has turned to such means to fulfill his megalomaniacal ambitions. We trust in God that he shall see the French King, or his descendants be repaid in kind for these low deeds, upsetting the natural order of the world. *

As it seems apparent that only in Austria the Habsburg line is still in power, it is up to Austria to protect the ancestral lands of house Habsburg. **

shield_HAB.gif
~ Bavaria ~
shield_BAY.gif
~ The heritage of Maximilian Joseph of Wittelsbach ~

It is sad to see that a house as honourable and as old as the house of Wittelsbach is on the verge of dying out. Sadly, the Elector Maximilian Joseph has no direct heirs, and it is unlikely that he will yet be rewarded with a son in his old age. ***
Seeing that the house Habsburg of Austria has long been a valuable ally to the house Wittelsbach, and that the house Habsburg also has the most recent claims to Bavarian lands after house Wittelsbach, the Elector has willed that after his death, the lands of the house Wittelsbach will be part of the lands of house Habsburg. ****

shield_HEI.gif
~ Union of the Empire~
shield_PRU.gif
In light of recent events, the Emperor proposes to king Friedrich II a formal declaration, encompassing a full alliance and renewing the treaty of friendship between our two nations.

* Who knows, I may be referring to a gruesome death at the hand of the "people" ;)
** the Cores that would have been granted with the "Bourbon" choice in the Spanish succession. See separate post.
*** Lacking further info, I'm assuming he dies of old age in 1777, and not of a sudden ilness or accident.
**** There's an event for the Bavarian succession war in 1777, and seeing that Bavaria has been a vassal for 80 years, and an ally even longer, it doesn't really make sense to fight for it. Thus, in discussion with Devil, it has been decided that a diploannexation within the HRE by a catholic state will be allowed this time. Furthermore, cores for the provinces will be added to Austria. for cores, see separate post.