• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FinnegansFather

Sergeant
43 Badges
Jan 2, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
With the new game coming out, I decided to go back and play Rome: Gold Edition.

One thing is really puzzling me, though. In the strategy guide put out by Paradox, they spend time advising paying attention to friends and rivals of the ruler, particularly favoring the ruler's friends.

I feel like I am missing something here. I can see why the ruler would do that. And I guess it makes role-playing sense. But why would I, the human gray eminence behind the throne so to speak? I do not see how it benefits Rome for the consul to appoint less qualified friends to important positions.

Positions to please characters, to pull them away from the Populists, sure. But not particularly the friends of the consul.

Those of you who have more experience with the game, am I missing something here?

Friends are more loyal, aka they are less likely to become a nuisance to your Consul. And while the Consul will eventually change, having a big, strong group of friends means that many of your Consuls will be a part of it, and thus be more efficient.
The system is more useful for Monarchies though.

Friends are useful as the (almost) permanently loyal people you can put up anywhere. Put them in a rich province and they'll rarely hurt you. Put them in charge of a huge army and they won't rebel. And they also help

A character with friends also gets some good events in my personal experience with the game. I don't know if it was vanilla or modded, but my Consul got a big chunk of money from his friend when he went bankrupt, and a few feast events as well. I've also seen AI reward friends with high offices more often.

When you take action against someone (for example imprison them or take away their governorship or commands), not just they and their family lose loyalty, but all of their friends as well. Remove a person with too many friends, and you'll have a civil war very fast.

It is generally more noticeable and better-used in monarchies, true.

Now, rivals are what you have to watch out for, because:

- They can and will try to assassinate your characters sometimes. This can result in death of your best generals and rulers.
- Their job performance is affected. If you appoint your rival to a tech position, he
- Their loyalty drops like a rock as long as their rival remains the ruler.
- If you give them armies, they might try to rebel and launch a civil war.
- If you make them governors, they may try to break away from your nation.
- As mentioned, they may have friends. And those friends will also lose loyalty and switch over in civil wars.
- I've personally seen that rivals often indulge in corruption against you, not sure if it was a coincidence.

In republics, the friend/rival system heavily affects politics (even if elections render them irrelevant a few years later). If a party leader is a friend of your consul, that party will gladly support most of your actions in diplomacy and elsewhere...and the usual loyalty bonus. It is opposite when your rival leads a party - they'll oppose your stuff and might lose loyalty.

In monarchies, you have not much to fear. It is easier to keep track of rivals since rulers rarely change. You may get rid of them without too much tyrant penalty.