Friend is unable to play his empire when I host a saved multiplayer game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Multiplayer

MrRavinRaven

Recruit
6 Badges
Jul 21, 2021
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
I am able to play my empire when I load a multiplayer saved game. My friend is unable to choose and play as his empire. When he went to single player with his own save of the game, he was able to play as his empire.

The DLC I have:
- Apocalypse
- Megacorp
- Utopia
- Humanoids
- Plantoids

My friend has no DLC, so I hosted so we could play with the DLC I had. Neither of us had mods, we started the game with fresh installs of Stellaris.

I don't know what more information I can provide that would be helpful except the save file, so here it is.

Attachments

• Game With Tyler Save0001.sav
    1.009,3 KB · Views: 0
Okay, I found the fix, though I think that this happened at all is incredibly stupid.

So, when we chose our empires, we both chose Random for the fun of it. His random Empire generated with Reanimated Armies as one of his civics, but I don't own the Necroids DLC. Or, at least, I didn't. I purchased the Necroids DLC in the hopes that he would be able to choose his empire, and that fixed it. The fact that his empire generated using DLC I DID NOT OWN meant he couldn't reselect his empire until I bought the associated DLC.

So, now I'll have to make a separate bug thread noting the fact that Randomized empires can give you civic traits for DLC you do not own. That's so bad.

Reactions:
Okay, I found the fix, though I think that this happened at all is incredibly stupid.

So, when we chose our empires, we both chose Random for the fun of it. His random Empire generated with Reanimated Armies as one of his civics, but I don't own the Necroids DLC. Or, at least, I didn't. I purchased the Necroids DLC in the hopes that he would be able to choose his empire, and that fixed it. The fact that his empire generated using DLC I DID NOT OWN meant he couldn't reselect his empire until I bought the associated DLC.

So, now I'll have to make a separate bug thread noting the fact that Randomized empires can give you civic traits for DLC you do not own. That's so bad.
Now THAT is an interesting way to strongarm you into buying a DLC! o_O

• 4Haha
Reactions:
wait, is reanimated armies even supposed to be locked to the DLC? wasn't that part of the "free" base update that came with necroids? in which case it would explain why random used it, but not why it bugged and wouldn't let him select till you had the DLC. that part would be the bug if it was a base update.

no wait i was wrong. reanimated armies is a part of the DLC, it just doesn't require BEING a necroid. but that's very weird that it would pop up in random without the DLC then. file it in bug report forum? i can't think of any other civics that appear in random without the required DLC.

So potentially using random Empires can allow you to access DLC content? I wonder if that's also possible in SP and if reanimated armies is the only thing affected by it.
Well in my current game, one of the generated AI uses reanimated armies civic, and I do not own Necroids.

My understanding of the way the DLC works is that all of Stellaris is downloaded to your computer, including the content you do not own, and then when you buy the dlc an authorisation file is downloaded which allows you access to the content you previously did not own.

I'm pretty sure before I bought Megacorps that I saw some Megacorps being generated in my games as well.

Reactions:
Well in my current game, one of the generated AI uses reanimated armies civic, and I do not own Necroids.

My understanding of the way the DLC works is that all of Stellaris is downloaded to your computer, including the content you do not own, and then when you buy the dlc an authorisation file is downloaded which allows you access to the content you previously did not own.

I'm pretty sure before I bought Megacorps that I saw some Megacorps being generated in my games as well.
So you could potentially tag switch and access content you don't own? Seems like a massive oversight.

The AI can use every content in the game (even though I have not seen it build something like juggernauts if you dont own the DLC), a fresh example is that it can use any intel operations on you and on other AI even without Nemesis.