• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Arilou said:
I *like* that. It adds an extra layer of strategy, and more importantly, historical immersion.

But that's not that important: I'm not arguing that Voltaire will be a skill 12 philospher or whatever every time he appears, just wondering if the names or portraits will be used at all.

An entire universe full of generic advisors seem boring to me. Especially as no matter how large your database of names are you'll run out of them sooner or later.
I haven't counted them, but I'd guess that there are at least a few hundred thousand possible advisor names. I supposed that you'll eventually run across some repeats...

The portraits aren't of the specific person, they're a "type" portrait (i.e. the same "artist" portrait is used for all artists).

map accuracy

The AAR is great, I cant wait until it goes on.

But the map really needs more work:
E.g.: Why does the Bremen province not cover the location of Bremen? It also would be nice if the settlement of a Province would be near to its real location. This is only flavor but it would be much more satisfing to discover your ancestors on the map.
Someone really could overwork it 4 an afternoon or so.

This link may help:
http://www.mgh-bibliothek.de/lexikothek/reich2.html

Well, maybe this one wold be more usefull 4 u:
Germany 1547

Well, good work anyway - even with unaccurate maps.

I'm, starting to dread EU3 updates: For each one I get some really good ideas ("OOoh! Better emperor elections! Oooh! Nice shiney new tech trees and government forms!") and some changes that are really sucky. Juxtaposition gives me a bellyache :(

That said, I assume that government-forms are restricted by your DP sliders as well? (Eg. you can't switch to certain government forms without having the DP sliders within an acceptable range, for instance no going all merchant-republic if you're fully aristocratic)

Or?

another map

Well, this one is from the middle of the eu3 timeframe:

I think its right to shape the map by importance: Bremen, Hambug and Lübeck are tiny in real live. Only these Citys have the potential to play a major eu3 role. Historical such citys dominated the surrounding land.

MrT said:
Ooops. :eek:o I must confess that I'm not familiar with Binchois so I was just explaining his existence/effects with the first thing that came to mind.

Neither am I familiar with him, I just looked his name up on wikipedia.
And I also like being a smartass.

freyfahrer said:
Well, this one is from the middle of the eu3 timeframe:

I think its right to shape the map by importance: Bremen, Hambug and Lübeck are tiny in real live. Only these Citys have the potential to play a major eu3 role. Historical such citys dominated the surrounding land.
This is part of the problem in creating the map for EU3 (all Paradox games that cover long time frames). The relative importance of cities changed, the names that regions/cities/etc were called changed, borders fluctuated over very small distances, etc. What's right for one date is often completely wrong for another, so you're pretty much screwed regardless of what you do.

@Barkers: :rofl:

kristoff said:
It's an absurd equal only to Spiff province in Victoria

I know some provinces in Victoria that is the name of cities although they weren't given their names until the 20th century.

I noticed a thing MrT:

I see you divided your research instead of focusing on one field as is normal in EU2?

And, are you at liberty at telling us if there are any important changes in what is sound strategy for different empire types' domestic settings? In EU2 one often had a heavy serfdom strategy for heterogenous empires, is that still a sound strategy or will it give nasty events a la Poland?

Nikolai said:
I noticed a thing MrT:

I see you divided your research instead of focusing on one field as is normal in EU2?
Yep. I commented on that a bit earlier in response to a quesiton (though I was a bit evasive ;)).

And, are you at liberty at telling us if there are any important changes in what is sound strategy for different empire types' domestic settings? In EU2 one often had a heavy serfdom strategy for heterogenous empires, is that still a sound strategy or will it give nasty events a la Poland?
I won't give precise details as they may change a little; but yes, there are some differences. One kinda cool thing is that left and right sides of slider can now have different (independent) effects.

For instance, in the offensive/defensive slider you will get a little perk to your leaders regardless of which you chose. Offensive dives you a stat boost your shock value but going defensive doesn't give a penalty to your shock. If you go defensive you get a perk to leader siege rating but there's no penalty to it if you've gone offensive instead.

There really isn't a "right" or "wrong" DP setting. It all depends on what type of nation you want to build (what you want as your nation's strong points, and what weaknesses you're willing to accept in order to get them).

gosam said:
I noticed that the flag over anhalt is half like saxony - half like brandenburg. What does that mean? Or is it just the historical flag of the country? (I've never played EU2 so please bear with me).
It's the historical flag of Anhault. IIRC it was part of a partition and had liks to both royal houses. It was (and still is) common to mix heralidic elements that related to bloodline.

EDIT: Link to some info.

Just a note to all of you map problem guys, just remember that since the map is 3d you can always mod it yourself (at least thats my understanding of it).

MrT, keep up the good work! This will certainly be an exciting story!

Neat story, sounds a lot like those ancient EU2 AARs I once read, in style and information type ;)

Will Friedrich get his offers accepted, though? :D

Avernite said:
Neat story, sounds a lot like those ancient EU2 AARs I once read, in style and information type ;)

Will Friedrich get his offers accepted, though? :D
One of the first rules I learned when writing AARs is always to leave a "hook" near the end of each instalment to keep the reader interested in finding out what happens in the next. :p

MrT said:
One of the first rules I learned when writing AARs is always to leave a "hook" near the end of each instalment to keep the reader interested in finding out what happens in the next. :p

Yes, especially important considering the fierce competition between AAR vying for the attention of the disinterested readers in the EU3 AAR forum. :p

We're hooked. Now get to writing another chapter for us, AAR slave! :p

This thing brings back fond memories... nboth the MrT writing again, and the first Ars of Betas :)

MrT, I presume you only mean the mods need to edit he first post by johan, surely you can edit your own posts? Or is it due to being locked?

And get your sorry self unto MSN once in a while if you pls :)

V

Neat!

Out of curiosity, what is happening in the rest of Europe? Do AI "random" events get reported?

Really nice AAr you have there MrT, these stuff give me sleepless nights till EU3 gets published. :)

With all of the random parts of gameplay the game will surely get more addictive and you will always get interesting events.

I want to see if Friedrich succeds! :cool:

Great AAR! Can't wait for the game :D

MrT said:
I won't give precise details as they may change a little; but yes, there are some differences. One kinda cool thing is that left and right sides of slider can now have different (independent) effects.

For instance, in the offensive/defensive slider you will get a little perk to your leaders regardless of which you chose. Offensive dives you a stat boost your shock value but going defensive doesn't give a penalty to your shock. If you go defensive you get a perk to leader siege rating but there's no penalty to it if you've gone offensive instead.
Does this mean you don't get any penalties for going one way or another? Then won't it mean that there is no reason NOT to take the slider to the extremes? I mean, if you get no penalty, you'll always aim to set it to either its maximum value or the minimum, and nowhere in between. :confused: