• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
George LeS said:
2 more questions:

1. I couldn't tell from the AAR, but does attrition still work as in EUII? E.g., do moving armies check only at month-end?

2. You kept taking a lot of stab hits, thanks to Austria's aggressions, but I noticed that you never seemed that far down, whereas if it'd happened to me, I'd have been viewing -1 as a godsend. Is stab more volatile in EUIII, or is this just a function of Saxony's homogeneity & small size?

*1 - I think it's nearly the same as in EU2 by the fact that T mentioned that the
AI attacked mostly during the winter when they gained the most attrition and that had to been fixed.

*2 - In the beggining of the AAR Mr.T hired an advisor that gave a huge stab bonus.

Re-reading the AAR (being bored, and with the lack of any new tasty morsels showing up ;) ), in the narration it says "the King of five-province Bohemia, would vote for himself since the cultural differences tended to keep him at the fringes of the rest of the electorate"...
Does this mean that Bohemia not having German culture makes it harder to get/maintain good relation with the the rest of HRE?
I also assume it means that Bohemia has German only as "accepted" culture then? (and I'm not going to argue what it should/should not have ;) )
V.

jankren said:
I do not know if anyone has said this but I think EU3 has unpleasant graphic. In my opinion the graphic of EU2 is nicer to look at.

Yeah, me too. You know. It's like, Zelda 2 on the NES looks way better than the Wind Waker on the Gamecube, but that's just my opinion... :wacko:

Niptium said:
Yeah, me too. You know. It's like, Zelda 2 on the NES looks way better than the Wind Waker on the Gamecube, but that's just my opinion... :wacko:
even though the cel shading was bad, it was better than zelda 2, you have to admit that

rcduggan said:
even though the cel shading was bad, it was better than zelda 2, you have to admit that

Yeah I know. It was sarcasm. I love Wind Waker's graphic engine, loved it - it's the #2 Zelda game just behind A Link to the Past.

That seems to have been fixed in the beta since Massa Tee wrote this piece up !

I also assume it means that Bohemia has German only as "accepted" culture then?
I wouldnt expect german culture to be in one group with bohemian. Although the purely 'cultural' aspect seems pretty similar, czech language belonging to western slavic language group (pretty distant from germanic languages) might be the decisive factor to separate them.
The groups are likely as follows:
[german, dutch]
and
[bohemian/czech, polish, slovak]

And the fact the primary cultures of the germanic electors of HRE and Bohemia being in separate culture groups would then create a negative diplomacy modifier.

A country may have a culture that is not a culture in the same group as accepted culture. We have seen an example of this with Sweden and Finnish.

Who's talking about what may a country have?:confused:
I said that Mr.T likely remarked that Bohemia is being somewhat locked out of the friendly crowd of HRE members because it's primary culture is in different culture group and thus it recieves some negative diplomacy modifier vs those states.

the King of five-province Bohemia, would vote for himself since the cultural differences tended to keep him at the fringes of the rest of the electorate

Not so much a case of negative modifiers and more a case of fewer positive modifiers.

There wasn't THAT much Nationalism at the time. I wonder why it gives negative mods if you have a prov with another culture.

Bunka said:
There wasn't THAT much Nationalism at the time. I wonder why it gives negative mods if you have a prov with another culture.

Actually, nationalism was a big part of the hussite wars, starting taking away votes of non-Czechs in 1403 and giving them to Czechs.

There was no love lost between Czechs and German states at the time, so I do think it should be harder for a Czech ruler to become HRE emperor (unless he cheated like Habsburgs of course :D ). Ahh.. now I know my first EU3 game and a goal! :D

V.

First let me salute the author of the AAR. Quite nicely done!

Now, I have small question that I don't know if it has been asked before...

I notice you play the game with a high level of zoom. For me, it seems the graphics definitely lack quality to play at that zoom level and I feel more confortable playing in a more "distant" view. Why did you choose to play so closely? Is it just a matter of preference? Something to do with the interface functionality?

As I am an old school gamer, I clearly have preferred a detailed 2d map... can you confirm if we can play the game in political map mode with units on it? (can't recall seeing units on political map mode).

Thank you for your time, and again, good job on the AAR. Soon I will be reading your manual/strategy guide! ;)

ubik said:
First let me salute the author of the AAR. Quite nicely done!

Now, I have small question that I don't know if it has been asked before...

I notice you play the game with a high level of zoom. For me, it seems the graphics definitely lack quality to play at that zoom level and I feel more confortable playing in a more "distant" view. Why did you choose to play so closely? Is it just a matter of preference? Something to do with the interface functionality?

As I am an old school gamer, I clearly have preferred a detailed 2d map... can you confirm if we can play the game in political map mode with units on it? (can't recall seeing units on political map mode).

Thank you for your time, and again, good job on the AAR. Soon I will be reading your manual/strategy guide! ;)
Sorry for the slow reply...

I'm glad you enjoyed the AAR. It's always nice to hear. :)

I usually play zoomed out a lot further than my screen shots show, and there's no impact at all on the interface. Also, since I usually use the outliner to select armies and fleets, I don't even need to zoom in for that. I do zoom in for close looks at terrain before moving into battle, or sometimes for other reasons, but it takes me all of half-a-second to do that with my mouse's scroll wheel so it's a non-issue.

The reason I gave most of my screens at close zoom was to focus attention on the area being described in that part of the text. Zooming all the way out I can see the majority of Europe all at once if I like. I also wasn't 100% sure whether Johan would be keen on showing much more of the map than he had already done in the developer diary screens, so by keeping it close I could avoid putting him in the position of having to veto any of them.

You can play in any mapmode you like, at all times. There is no loss of functionality but the province tooltip information varies with the mapmode so that might have some bearing on which ones you use on a regular basis.

MtT,

Thanks for the reply. After seeing the movies in the French site, I am sure all of you deserve the best praise for this game.

One last question, though:

After seeing the above mentioned movies, I got the impression many weird strategical situations were developing: Switzerland a colonial power, Austria totally irrelevant, about just a dozen countries in europe, etc.
From your overall experience with the game engine, do you think on average, a game is expected to run more historically?

I am all against determinism in gamming, but with a game as deep and attached to History as this, it would be a pity if 100 years into the game we had fantasyland (talking about the overall geopolitical ambience, not the characters) instead of some semblance of our common History.

Now, if you cannot answer this question, sorry for asking. :)

The colonial Switzerland was played by a human on easy difficulty level so that pretty much disrupted the situation there. I don't recall ever having seen an AI-controlled Switzerland doing any colonisation, although the situation in Europe late in the game can be somewhat variable in a game started in 1453. There are so many possible variables that can have a butterfly effect that this isn't all that surprising.

Sorry if this is obviuos, but where are these movies you speak of?