• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hildoceras said:
euh, guys... you do realize it is a game, ok ? Just a game, not an historical simulation. Just fun while pushing some buttons. Elaborate buttons but yet, a game, only a game and only fun...

euh, guy... you do realize that for a game to be fun, it shouldn't be unbalanced?

Possibly unbalancing features, I believe, are a genuine concern, especially given the blobs that used to form in EU2. Mind you, I am not saying it is unbalanced, just that the various boni seem to me to be able to unbalance the game.

Quote "MrT, if you are involved in war in the New World, do your regiments also receive reinforcements at the same rate as they would if they fought in Europe?"

I know this was one of the things that annoyed people about Vicky and was just curious if the could be reinforced across oceans.
Good question, as a matter of fact we know very little of the new world, or colonization in general in EU3. If at all possible, the next AAR should include something about it.

I just wondered about AI agressivenss, will HRE states attacked by non HRE states get help from the rest of the HRE? in that case I can see how the Austrian agression might be a good thing as they won't get into BB wars if the AI can calculate the risk of attacking an HRE state. if so the Austrian AI only really have to worry about being the biggest and badest of the HRE states and continue to conquor the Balkans?
if this is correect then this will be the best game ever :D

I want to add my name to the list of those thanking you, Mr T, for a fascinating AAR, & for your patience in answering our many ignorant questions. And Merry Christmas to you, & all at Paradox, & all in this forum.

Well, maybe not all; as Hillaire Belloc said:

May all good fellows who here agree
Drink audit ale in heaven with me.
And may all my enemies go to Hell,
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel.

See you on Boxing Day, now I've got to buy something for my wife.

My question mainly concerns Austria. It seems like it's a potential BWB issue all over again, but at least it wasn't swallowing up the HRE.

Is this common in the game?

Related to Duuk's question:
At what Difficulty/AI Aggressiveness level did you play MrT?
How different is the game at different difficulty levels?

Sorry, if I missed an answer to that somewhere above.

two questions I dont think have been asked (though I admitt i skimmed the middle of this very long thread)

1) if you *are* HRE... you appoint new electors? And how long do you have? I was just thinking it might be a sneaky smart political manuever that if say you were HRE with a very old king to try and delay apointing of a new elector that might not vote for you next time around. And... the votes are for your country right? Assuming say your king dies and his heir takes over smoothly... if 4 out of 7 electors still supported your country when fredrich died.. no reason to think they wouldnt support his of age son right? And nations that dont accept being named an elector... does the game decide if they are kicked out or is that the emperors decision?

and 2) So if i understood your post correctly... if no other HRE nations exist.... you win every single time? lol. So if your the nation no one likes and always excludes from all the HRE games... you can go kill them all and get yourself named emperor by default lol?

OsRavan said:
two questions I dont think have been asked (though I admitt i skimmed the middle of this very long thread)

1) if you *are* HRE... you appoint new electors? And how long do you have? I was just thinking it might be a sneaky smart political manuever that if say you were HRE with a very old king to try and delay apointing of a new elector that might not vote for you next time around. And... the votes are for your country right? Assuming say your king dies and his heir takes over smoothly... if 4 out of 7 electors still supported your country when fredrich died.. no reason to think they wouldnt support his of age son right? And nations that dont accept being named an elector... does the game decide if they are kicked out or is that the emperors decision?
The electors are chosen via an event system. The player cannot directly choose them.

@Ccbasin/Mosheer Rommel: yes, reinforcement happens to colonial armies too. While somewhat unrealistic (though the rates aren't that fast), it's a far more efficient system to use in the game. Consider the extra CPU cycles required for distance/logistics calculations....they're better used elsewhere.

@Suvorov: It will probably be something that will receive ongoing tweaks in any patches, but the balance is surprisingly good at the moment.

@fudd_bopo: within limits, yes

@Boblof: that's the idea, although in general it's only the (AI) Emperor who goes out of his way to try to help the rest of the HRE members against non-members. The electors and other members will be less hostile towards other members (ongoing tweaking happening here too) but somewhat less inclined to help them either.

@Duuk: I haven't run enough tests personally to answer. So far, I've not noticed a major issue with BWBs in the HRE barring something extraordinary happening.

@Fat: I was playing at "normal" levels; and 99.9% of our efforts are to achieve best balance with that. I won't take any time to test other difficulty settings, but the differences are not insubstancial (and yes...those are fully user-modable too).

OsRavan: (1) all handled by a series of dynamic contextual events; (2) yes, except you'd have lost most of the advantages of being the emperor so there's really no point.

MrT said:
in general it's only the (AI) Emperor who goes out of his way to try to help the rest of the HRE members against non-members. The electors and other members will be less hostile towards other members (ongoing tweaking happening here too) but somewhat less inclined to help them either....So far, I've not noticed a major issue with BWBs in the HRE barring something extraordinary happening.

This is excellent news, since IMO the BWB and rapid consolidation of the Empire were the aspects of EU2 most in the way of "suspension of disbelief" (and therefore a satisfying game design with lots of replay potential). Frankly, I've held my breath and reserved judgement ever since I heard about this project but if these aspects of EU2 can be fixed or improved, I'm ready to get out the credit card.

Very nice AAR Mr.T! Keep them coming so this old EU gamer can convince himself to buy his third version of EU. AAR's are a excellent method to demonstrate the game and its mechanics.

My concern with the game has been somewhat mitigated by your AAR, but not entirely. Issues of specific concern to me is how the AI behaves compared to EU2. As a aside however I will say the improvements between 2 and 3 that I have seen via AAR and other screenshots are impressive.

MrT said:
@Ccbasin/Mosheer Rommel: yes, reinforcement happens to colonial armies too. While somewhat unrealistic (though the rates aren't that fast), it's a far more efficient system to use in the game. Consider the extra CPU cycles required for distance/logistics calculations....they're better used elsewhere.

Oh I am not complaining MrT. I was just curious to see if it was handled differently outside of Europe. After all, the conquistadors received a trickle from Spain as they went on.

It's a small point, but what I noticed was that the people at court said "Great Men of the Court" and not "Advisors". I like this. I can picture a ruler with, say, painters or playwrights arriving at his court and being given patronage, but the idea of asking Michaelangelo or Shakespeare as "advisors" about whether or not to invade Serbia seems very weird. Changing this was a nice touch.

SonofWinter said:
Could we have another AAR. I'm not asking for a demo, but something to wet my apettite.

I'd guess we won't see anything until people are back in the Office; which if Sweden is anything like the UK won't be until at least the 2nd...
[My office doesn't open again until the 3rd or 4th I think.]

*nods*

Also we're kinda busy atm...

I'm temporarily stickying this so it remains visible on the forum. Will be unstickied again when public AARs start being written.

2 more questions:

1. I couldn't tell from the AAR, but does attrition still work as in EUII? E.g., do moving armies check only at month-end?

2. You kept taking a lot of stab hits, thanks to Austria's aggressions, but I noticed that you never seemed that far down, whereas if it'd happened to me, I'd have been viewing -1 as a godsend. Is stab more volatile in EUIII, or is this just a function of Saxony's homogeneity & small size?