• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 12: Unternehmen Sturmflut

21st of February 1942 – 12th of August 1942

24th of May 1942, Marinesturmabteilung Field Headquarters on Taiwan
Johann, General Rommel and General Student discuss the invasion of Japan

hoi4_247rkwh.png

General Student: “My Fallschirmjäger have just rounded up the last stragglers on Okinawa. We now possess full control of the island and its infrastructure.”
General Rommel: Sehr gut, mein Herr! My infantry has secured our foothold on Taiwan. But we are still waiting for General von Weich’s Infanteriedivisionen from Iraq.”
Johann: “Perfect. I have been in close communication with Admiral Dönitz in order to collect as much intelligence as possible on the Japanese coastal defenses on Kyushu. In my opinion, lack of intelligence will be the biggest problem we are going to face in this operation. Even from Okinawa, our transport airplanes can barely reach Kyushu. And our other planes, especially the FW 190B or the Ju87G, are unable to fly missions on the Japanese home islands due to their limited range. So no air reconnaissance and no air support.”
General Rommel:Unternehmen Seelöwe also worked, despite the Luftwaffe barely having any air superiority.”
General Student: “I will not send my men into the teeth of Japanese fighter squadrons.”
Johann: “A friend of mine from the Reichsaußenministerium is currently talking to von Falkenhorst in China. We hope they can convince the Chinese to share some intelligence with us. If we are correct in our assumptions, the Japanese industry is starving for resources due to our U-Boote. What remains of the Japanese army on Chinese soil cannot be resupplied, which is why the majority of Japanese airplanes is currently stationed in Korea, covering their retreat. This leaves us with empty skies in Japan, but there is a substantial force on the ground.”
General Rommel: “The Kriegsmarine is still on its way here. Der Führer demands boots on the ground in Japan by the 1st of July. Their arrival will be a close call. So what does Admiral Dönitz say about Admiral Yamamoto and his navy?”
Johann: “Last I’ve heard, all Japanese ports are empty and none of our U-Boote have encountered a single Japanese ship. Our Dutch allies have informed us, that the Japanese Navy is operating along the coast of Vietnam and along the coast of Borneo. Most likely to cover the retreat of their forces there.”
General Student:Also wie ist der Plan?

hoi4_257pkop.png

Johann: “We will strike Kyushu simultaneously with our Fallschirmjäger and our Infanteriedivisionen. The Gebirgsjäger will play a crucial role in the later stages of the Unternehmen. As der Führer demands, there will be boots on the ground on the 1st of July.”

10th of June 1942, Headquarters of the German training mission in China, Chongqing
Kurt meets von Falkenhorst

Kurt: “Thank you for meeting me. I hope you were able to obtain the intelligence e asked for from the Chinese.”
Von Falkenhorst: “It wasn’t easy, but I managed. The Chinese are reluctant to share, they want to defeat the Japanese on their own. But in the end, they had to accept that they do not possess the capabilities for an amphibious invasion of the Japanese home islands.”
Kurt: “Great to hear that. The more information we have, the more likely is our success. Is there anything unusual?”
Von Falkenhorst: “The Japanese have yet to react to the fall of Okinawa and Taiwan. There are only a few divisions on Kyushu. The entirety of the Japanese airforce is currently stationed in Korea, Shanghai or Hong Kong. They will not be able to interfere with any invasion of ours. Thus the skies should be clear. The Japanese Fleet is a wildcard, however. These days, nobody knows where they are. Which is quite feat, considering that this fleet has quite a few carriers.”
Kurt: “Thank you! I will relay your detailed report to the Wehrmacht!”

hoi4_297xk94.png

Von Falkenhorst: “One more thing: The Chinese army has just conquered Bangkok, effectively ending the war in South East Asia. They will now concentrate their remaining forces on the last Japanese pockets along the coast. Die Wehrmacht must strike soon, or the Japanese home islands will be a true fortress.”

2nd of August 1942, Marinesturmabteilung Field Headquarters near Nagasaki
Johann, General Rommel and General Student discuss the next stage

hoi4_267lk4v.png

Johann: “Capturing Nagasaki took us almost one month, although there were only a few Japanese divisions there. I really have to compliment your handling of the supply situation, Herr General Student. Without you, we would have had to abort the invasion.”
General Student:Vielen Dank!
General Rommel: “Great work indeed! In the end, the vague intelligence almost brought failure to the operation. Who would have guessed we would run into some elite divisions preparing to return to China?”
Johann: “Now that we have captured a functioning port, I have contacted the Luftwaffe and they will bring in their Fliegerstaffeln from Okinawa and Taiwan. This should allow us to achieve air superiority and bomb the enemy’s forces. On our advance. There are many chokepoints on the road to Tokyo, and the terrain is heavily favoring the defenders. We will need all the help we can get.”
General Rommel: “Knowing you, you have already come up with a plan.”
Johann: “I have come up with the only plan. As I said, the terrain does not allow us many options.”

hoi4_3262jvv.png

8th of August 1942, Reichsaußenministerium
Gerhard and Reichsaußenminister von Ribbentrop discuss the current political situation

hoi4_31i3k43.png

Gerhard: “How do you think Stalin will react to us formalizing our alliance and clearly positioning it against him?”
Von Ribbentrop: “Well, he brought it upon himself by attacking Poland as soon as they so stupidly decided to leave our alliance. This treaty is now necessary to assure our allies in Eastern Europe that das Reich will protect them if need be.”
Gerhard: “Considering that Stalin is still struggling to defeat the Poles, even after 8 months of war, most of our allies are probably be able to keep the Red Army outside their borders on their own.”
Von Ribbentrop: “They might be indeed, but you cannot win a war of attrition against the Soviet Union. At least not if you are alone. You need allies.”

Author's Note

Subbed. Will you be keeping Britain annexed?
Thank you for subscribing!
Yes, I will keep Britain annexed (or, as I put it in the previous update, occupied).
I need their dockyards to build up the Kriegsmarine.

There you go...

hoi4_237ru34.png

This is the situation in Poland in June 1942.
Until August, the Poles actually managed to retake all the territory west of the Vistula River.

So, the Poles managed to force Russia into a war of attrition.

There you go...

hoi4_237ru34.png

This is the situation in Poland in June 1942.
Until August, the Poles actually managed to retake all the territory west of the Vistula River.

So, the Poles managed to force Russia into a war of attrition.

Was this the result of an unusually strong Poland, or was it just a mere case of a stupid Soviet AI?

A bit of both, I'd say.

Poland has had a lot of te to build up its forces using all its territory, whereas the Soviets didn't even have to fight the Winter War. So this was thir first conflict after th Spanish Civil War.
So no Army Experiene for Comrade Stalin, and no reform focuses either.

Chapter 13: The 4th Partitioning of Poland

13th of August 1942 – 2nd of November 1942

9th of September 1942, Marinesturmabteilung Field Headquarters near Hiroshima
Johann and General Rommel are discussing the Siege of Hiroshima

hoi4_33w6jah.png

General Rommel: “We have encircled the city almost a month ago and yet, we were not even able to breach the suburbs. Wie zur Hölle could it happen that nobody knew of the Japanese heavy tank program? Those damned mathematicians in the decryption group should be given a gun and sent right here. Into the first line to see the mess they have caused!”
Johann:Beruhigen Sie sich, Herr General! The fault is not entirely with the decryption group! This is a general problem. Japan is actually the first theatre of war in which we have encountered enemy tanks in large numbers used in a defensive role. I doubt that our divisions would be able to handle even large amounts of medium tanks if they are deployed like they are by the Japanese.”
General Rommel: “We could already be in Tokyo, instead our forces are bound here. The Chinese just finished driving the Japanese out of their country. I’m worried we soon might have another contender for the Japanese home islands.”
Johann: “I highly doubt that the Chinese will be able to mount any kind of amphibious invasion on Japanese soil. But we will have to wait on new anti-tank guns from Germany. Or suffer massive casualties.”
Genera Rommel: Vielleicht… How many enemy aircraft have we spotted during the last week?”
Johann: “About 5. And they didn't last long. The Luftwaffe is ruling supreme in the sky.”
General Rommel: “Then have the men use our heavy anti-air guns against the Japanese tanks. The 88mm ought to suffice for destroying the tanks.”

canon_88_mm.jpg

Johann:Aber mein Herr, those guns are heavy and cannot be moved easily.”
General Rommel: “I know. Which is why you will get me al roadmaps on Hiroshima you can find. We may have to set up some ambushes.”

4th of October 1941, Reichsaußenministerium
Kurt and Gerhard are working to finalize a deal

Kurt: “Rumor has it that Stalin has lost a million men fighting the Poles. That is insane!”
Gerhard: “Well, intelligence has it that the Red Army has roughly 400 to 800 divisions, so I doubt comrade Stalin is caring.”
Kurt: “But still, Poland would have kept on fighting if we hadn’t intervened.”
Gerhard: “We have intervened to bring the German minority in Posen and Kattowitz underneath the protection of the Reich. Hungary did the same in Slovakia. Due to this, the Russians were able to take the rest. So once more, we have partitioned Poland.”

hoi4_37-kopiebpka4.png

Kurt: “And the Chinese just set up a Korean puppet government in Asia. It almost feels like everyone is bringing the pieces in place for a war against the Soviet Union.”
Gerhard: “With the information we have, we know that the Soviet Union intends to take more land in Eastern Europe. Especially in Romania. Romania is the only country from which the Reich can get oil via land. We both know this means that we will have to defend Romania. No like Poland, which we basically left out to dry.”
Kurt: “You’re right about that. I met Johann the other day. Ha has been recalled to the Reich last week and was reinstated as head of the planning board. There must be something going on.”

2nd of November 1942
A radio announcement

hoi4_392zkg6.png

Radio: “As of this day, soldiers, tanks and airplanes of the Soviet Union have started to carry out attacks against the Reich and its allies. We cannot tolerate such atrocities and are now at war with the communists. The Red Army seems to think that they can act freely in winter due to their previous experiences, but das Reich will show them one thing: German men do not feel the cold. They merely shake in anger because it is not even colder.”

Chapter 14: Unternehmen Winterstille

2nd of November 1942 – 29th of December 1942

2nd of November 1942, Heeresgruppe A Field Headquarters near Posen
Johann and the Planning Staff brief Feldmarschall von Rundstedt and Generals Guderian and von Manstein

hoi4_37msyp1.png

Johann:Meine Herren, this is the plan for our assault on the Soviet Union. Please bear in mind that we had little time planning this assault, but the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht as well as the Luftwaffe and der Führer think it is necessary to attack the Soviets when they least expect it. In winter and just when they decided to attack us. The Unternehmen has been dubbed Winterstille and it will most likely last until Christmas. The task of Heeresgruppe A is a coordinated advance long the entire frontline. The goal of the Infanteriedivisionen here is to protect the flanks of the Panzerarmeen. The infantry advance will continue, independent of the actual operation. General Guderians 1. Panzerarmee will conduct a pincer movement from Ostpreußen south towards Lemberg. For the sake of speed and defensibility of the pincer, crossing the Weichsel river must be avoided at any cost. Since the 1. Panzerarmee will be operating from Ostpreußen, the availability of supply and infrastructure situation will be superior to the area around Krakau. Therefore the 1. Panzerarmee has to conduct a deeper pincer movement. General von Mansteins 2. Panzerarmee will break through the Russian lines near Krakau and pass Lemberg on the north, connecting with General Guderians Panzers in the process. This will make central Poland one giant Kessel with roughly 120-130 Russian divisions in it. General von Manstein will then advance further south east, creating a second Kessel around Lemberg with another 50-70 Russian divisions trapped.”
Feldmarschall von Rundstedt: “What about aircover?”
Johann: “The Luftwaffe has been ordered to focus on what used to be eastern Poland. Our Panzerarmeen will be operating in this area, and we must ensure their breakthrough moves are successful. Our bombers and close air support will thus be deployed there, along with some interceptors. The remaining interceptors will be used to cover the airspace of central Poland. The southern part of the front will receive aircover from our allies.”

hoi4_40ocxfl.png

General von Manstein: “Do we have any intelligence on the Russian troops around Lemberg?”
Johann:Ja, Herr General. The Abwehr and our recon planes were unable to provide detailed information, though. It is likely you will face more armored divisions than on the rest of the front.”
General Guderian: “What about the weather? We’re in the middle of winter and are planning to conduct an offensive operation into Russia.”
Johann: “The weather won’t be an issue. We are prepared for a harsh weather since we had to move our Panzers through the Ardennes during the Frankreichfeldzug in February 1941. Meine Herren, Unternehmen Winterstille is scheduled to commence in two days. The weather will be clear throughout the week and the Luftwaffe has begun to bomb Russian positions as well as numerous bridges along the Weichsel river. We don’t want them to cross the river and escape.”

hoi4_42njzso.png

hoi4_433xb3t.png

hoi4_44wrxym.png

hoi4_45ixxd2.png

hoi4_4670ygf.png

11th of December 1942, 1. Panzerarmee Fieldheadquarters near Brest-Litowsk
General Guderian and Johann discuss the progress of the pincer

General Guderian: “We made good progress throughout the Unternehmen. But I still can’t shake the feeling that we almost failed because of General von Manstein. He didn’t accomplish a breakthrough until my men had already reached Lemberg. And then he had to move north to at least create the Warschau-Kessel. I had to hastily send my men east and basically fulfill his goal of linking up with the Romanians.”
Johann: “As our intelligence indicated, General von Manstein had to face the tougher foe. Nevertheless, your quick reaction and the communication with your colleague allowed us to create two vast Kessel.

hoi4_47w5y0b.png

hoi4_48doyx6.png

General Guderian: “So how many divisions did we catch in total? After all, we also created a few smaller Kessel along the way.”
Johann: “Altogether, we caught about 210 Soviet divisions. Give or take 10.”
General Guderian: “I never thought I’d see the day. The master of planning and supply is unable to come up with an exact number.”
Johann: “There’s a first time for everything, I guess. Anyhow, the Luftwaffe has now shifted its bombing focus on the Kessel. Heeresgruppe A will conduct eliminating the enemy. You and General von Manstein are to limit your support to those attacks. We need your forces ready as strategic reserve in case the enemy is trying to free its men.”

24th of December 1942, Marinesturmabteilung Fieldheadquarters near Osaka
General Rommel and General Student debate their next step

hoi4_51j0lgu.png

General Student: “Looks like Unternehmen Winterstille in Poland has been a resounding success.”
General Rommel: “Well, someone has to deliver positive news. We are still in a stalemate east of Osaka.”
General Student: “The area around Nagoya is completely undefended and Osaka doesn’t have a large port. I think if we are able to break through the Japanese defenses north of Osaka and conduct an airbourne landing near Nagoya, we could be able encircle the Japanese forces in the area and starve them for supplies.”
General Rommel: “The Gebirgsjäger have told me that the area north of Osaka is indeed just weakly defended. Ready your men. As soon as we have a breakthrough there, I want you to attack Nagoya. But not before that. Otherwise we will not be able to supply your Fallschirmjäger properly.”
General Student: “The men have been ready and eager for another jump since we cleared Hiroshima.”
General Rommel: “In that case, prepare for a jump on the 28th. I doubt that it will take the Gebirgsjäger longer than that to clear the breakthrough.”

hoi4_52ycb01.png

The Soviets never knew what hit them.

Really excellent strategy. Too bad the Japanese aren't cooperating like the Russians.

I really enjoyed playing that campaign.

Unfortunately, due to patches and me messing around with some mods, the savegame got corrupted.
I still have some screenshots up until the capitulation of the USSR. So if I find the time, I will post a final update (or maybe 2).

This will be the final conclusion, after all the US are still neutral...

Sad to see this go.:( Was a great aar!

a massive Kessel... and lots of troops captured... it seems you might have a happpy winter after all