• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

R.Graymarch

Major
60 Badges
Jan 26, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
Hello

I just started the game and was looking for a "quick questions" topic but could not find any in the first pages of this forum

So I started, inspired by DanIsStoned Crete tutorial. My goal is to unify Crete. I know that I could have chosen Rome but apparently, republics are a little complicated for a start. Egypt could be a good candidate but it's not as peaceful. So I chose Crete and especially Knossos (no mods)

In my first war, I went without my feud because his loyalty was not at 33. I paid him but apparently it needs time to build up. And when I wait, my allies call me to war so I have less control on what happens. Am I too impatient or unlucky? Edit: I just notice "dominating stance" to get an opinion boost with levies up /Edit

During a reload, I managed to be at war and it was going well, except my ally occupied the province so the only option in the peace deal was to give him the province, which is not something I want. Was I just unlucky? What does it depend on? First on the province (if that's the right name)? Higher troop numbers ?

Also I did not manage to get a general, it was my ruler and I could not change that (even at peace, with levies raised)

Thanks for your help and apologises if it's very basic questions

Last edited:
I tried to continue but I'm in a kind of deadlock. If I attack continental Greece (with my ally Epirus), then Sparta attacks me (bringing Egypt and Macedonia against me). I reload several times, changed the first war but it seems that IA is waiting for the opportunity to attack me. I could do a preventive attack but I fear that Sparta+allies are way too strong.
So improve my economy, build a war chest to get mercs? Conquer on the coast of modern Turkey?
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in one of my earlier post, once you unite Crete you are kind of stuck between blobing juggernauts and the hard part starts... Sparta is allied with both Macedon and Egypt? Not much you can do about that. I:R is kind of an advanced agar.io, you bully weaker countries while avoiding bigger guys. Don't be obstinate and switch to another place to expand into. Without seeing your map, I can't tell, but I'd say western anatolia migth be it if the antigonid imploded.

Reactions:
I did not touch the game until today. I'm very pleased to see one more patch and the possibility to get achievements while playing mods but right now, I'm still in vanilla 2.0.3 and not in ironman. Shall I get the beta 2.0.4 with existing save?

As stated earlier, I want to expand in continental Greece but there are two issues : defensive leagues, and also big players (including Egypt who owns some territories near Athens). So if I want to expand, I looked at Rhodes (same culture group as mine). I tried a war but was beaten. I may try later when I've more traditions, gold or alliance. Anatolian coast seems the way to go indeed. Will see if I can manage it at some point

Reactions:
I really need to come back on this. Still Crete.

I have plans to attack but I notice that every time I'm attacked by a very strong opponent. I imagine that, as in any PDX game, having allies prevent other countries to attack you (depending on the strength ratio)?
I noticed that my ally left me (maybe it's because I did not honore an alliance ^^).
I wanted to get out of the "big players" (Egypte, Macedonia etc) but it seems that I have no other choice than to side with one so that the others don't attack me

Reactions:
With an alliance (Macedonia), it went a little better.
I was dragged in a Macedonian war.
1. Apparently if you don't click on the button on time, you don't join the war so the alliance is broken? No way to automate this?
2. Much later, the war ended but I don't know the outcome and did not get a warning (I think). Is it possible to "tag" a country like in EU4 in order to have pop ups of what happens there ?
3. Sparta attacked me with its allies. After a time (war goal was secured by me) I saw an alert saying that I can ask for a white peace. However we are at +5 reasons and +10 is needed, so apparently, I can but it's not possible. Isn't it weird?

Thanks

Some updates
Thanks to my ally, I crushed Rhodes and took its sea and inland provinces (nothing for my ally, I hope he won't be upset).
Which means that I'm now in Asia (and a regional power). I assigned a governor... the most loyal, not too stupid and not part of biggest families. Not sure if it's the best choice (safest choice?)
Re positions I always put in charge the members of family who need appointements just to calm them.
Same when people become a threat, I bribe them but it's costly in PI

I got some money issues so deleted fort in Rhodes+Anatolia after conquest. I also had over 90 ships so I scrapped 20 among the cheap ones in order to be flat.

I need to check again the culture. Should my policy depend on where population is (Greece vs Asia)? I understand that culture policy is the same for all the empire but maybe consequences are not the same. For exemple I got aegean pops in Greece but also Asia.

Thank you

Some updates
Thanks to my ally, I crushed Rhodes and took its sea and inland provinces (nothing for my ally, I hope he won't be upset).
Which means that I'm now in Asia (and a regional power). I assigned a governor... the most loyal, not too stupid and not part of biggest families. Not sure if it's the best choice (safest choice?)
Re positions I always put in charge the members of family who need appointements just to calm them.
Same when people become a threat, I bribe them but it's costly in PI

I got some money issues so deleted fort in Rhodes+Anatolia after conquest. I also had over 90 ships so I scrapped 20 among the cheap ones in order to be flat.

I need to check again the culture. Should my policy depend on where population is (Greece vs Asia)? I understand that culture policy is the same for all the empire but maybe consequences are not the same. For exemple I got aegean pops in Greece but also Asia.

Thank you
Asia is a very rich region with fantastic trade goods, get enough slaves to produce more than one for the high value ones. Or found cities in them.

When you say cultural policy you mean integration? Up to 4 cultures integrated to citizen make sense if they are very popolous and have a lot of citizens you can keep for their research and trade routes. Integrating more cultures unless you need them for their military traditions is not advisable for the happiness malus. If you are playing with the beta, remember that now integrating up to citizen will not allow nobles. This is alright but you will want to boost noble promotion in the areas of your noble status culture. This can be achieved by founding cities and stacking academies.

Reactions:
Thanks for the advices. I'm now in 510 and got an alliance (Macedon, which cancelled it after a while because I guess it has CB against me, and then Thrace).

I waited for my manpower to recover, built some foundries and then conquered Milet and Halikarnassos. Cybelene was also their ally but it's inland and low POP (of a foreign culture) so not really interested.
On top of continental Greece, I'm interested in the aegean sea (for cultural reasons). For now I sticked to one principal culture as aegean convert to Cretan but in the long run, I wonder if the weight of aegean is enough (and will stay enough in the future) to integrate them

I wondered if I should make subjects of Milet and Halikarnassos rather than conquest but the bonus seemed very low, or took a diplo slot

I have more trade goods but the import/export system is a little obscure to me (I automated export)

I wondered if I should make subjects of Milet and Halikarnassos rather than conquest but the bonus seemed very low, or took a diplo slot
If they are the same culture group as you, you can make them feudatories, not using a diplo slot.

1693084035463.png

I have more trade goods but the import/export system is a little obscure to me (I automated export)
Having many OPM as feudatories, or tribal vassals or tributaries (not using a diplo slot) will help you in the long run with trade. Every OPM will import your goods, giving you the export bonus (1x trade good value). They work similarly as league cities.

1693084184668.png

1693084230054.png

Reactions:
Thank you
I was looking at the wiki page Subject nations but did not find this mention on trade goods for feudatories. Just some manpower which is nice but I figured out I could get more if I owned the place myself. Tributaries seemed better (money) but the fact that they can break the contract without a war worries me (client state take a slot so it's no good for me)
But if it can bring money via trade... Assuming I do that in the future (it also limits the needed war score and the agressive expansion), does it mean I shall cancel my current export in order to have it with them?

When you mention OPM, I imagine that it's not strictly a One Province Minor (Milet and Halikarnassos were 3 territories each)

Thank you
I was looking at the wiki page Subject nations but did not find this mention on trade goods for feudatories. Just some manpower which is nice but I figured out I could get more if I owned the place myself. Tributaries seemed better (money) but the fact that they can break the contract without a war worries me (client state take a slot so it's no good for me)
But if it can bring money via trade... Assuming I do that in the future (it also limits the needed war score and the agressive expansion), does it mean I shall cancel my current export in order to have it with them?

When you mention OPM, I imagine that it's not strictly a One Province Minor (Milet and Halikarnassos were 3 territories each)
Not strictly one province but it is the most efficient.

Every nation has a minimum of importing trade routes, regardless of nobles/citizens, territories and buildings. Thus, with a single territory you have some exports guaranteed.

No need to cancel the exports, the AI will fill the trade routes automatically. At the diplo window, hover over the trade icon and you can see what each nation is importing.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Feudatories are also great behaving as a swarm of gnats versus your opponents. At minimum, a levy from any region, no matter how poorly populated, has 4 subunits, so each feudatory you accrue is 2k more troops. A few extra troops grabbing fort-less provinces, a larger one sieging down a weak fort, and a few more reinforcements in battle...

It won't win a war with an enemy throwing around 20k stacks like they're nothing (e.g., mid-game, successful Diadochi, Rome, or Maurya), but they'll do a lot in early fights against other alliances of small nations and might distract those big enemies while you eke out a white peace.

Reactions:
Thanks for the tips, it helps a lot. If I am successfull and RP in the egean see, I may try to expand in other directions using feudatories.

Cyrenaic seems quite lonely/weak so I'm building a claim. Not sure it's clever to go so close to Egypt but we'll see.

Hello
I'm fighting Cyrenaica. My goal is to take some provinces and get a feudatory. Looking at requirement on the wiki
  1. Not tribal, OK
  2. More than 20 provinces, OK
  3. Cyrenaica has max 10 provinces. It has 26 but I plan to annex 2 for a total of 23 provinces
  4. Same culture group: yes
In the peace deal screen, I can only see Client State or Tributary (feudatory is not listed, even in gray)

Does it mean that for #3, it should be "max 10 provinces" at the start of the war?
Or that I should also siege the small provinces? Or anything else I missed
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello
I'm fighting Cyrenaica. My goal is to take some provinces and get a feudatory. Looking at requirement on the wiki
  1. Not tribal, OK
  2. More than 20 provinces, OK
  3. Cyrenaica has max 10 provinces. It has 26 but I plan to annex 2 for a total of 23 provinces
  4. Same culture group: yes
In the peace deal screen, I can only see Client State or Tributary (feudatory is not listed, even in gray)

Does it mean that for #3, it should be "max 10 provinces" at the start of the war?
Or that I should also siege the small provinces? Or anything else I missed
Thanks
They have 26 and to make them a feud you need to reduce them to 9 and declare one more war to be able to make them a feudatory.

Reactions:
It went well, I did another war and the OPM became feudatory. In Africa, I'm between Carthage and Egypt...

I notice that outside my capital province, I had no trade route setup (I was at "0 out of 3"). Isn't it automated? (I know there is a button close to it but it's the same for Crete and I have a pop up). I assigned them manually

Also, I notice that I cannot select my heir (unless I change the law and I cannot) which is sad but there is nothing I can do

It went well, I did another war and the OPM became feudatory. In Africa, I'm between Carthage and Egypt...

I notice that outside my capital province, I had no trade route setup (I was at "0 out of 3"). Isn't it automated? (I know there is a button close to it but it's the same for Crete and I have a pop up). I assigned them manually

Also, I notice that I cannot select my heir (unless I change the law and I cannot) which is sad but there is nothing I can do
There is a button to automate it, but it doesn't work perfectly

Reactions: