• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Elementary my dear Watson."

Perhaps the most famous lines of Sherlock Holmes. I figure here that Holmes and Watson just don't fully understand what they've just run into.

TheEnlighted1 said:
"Elementary my dear Watson."

Perhaps the most famous lines of Sherlock Holmes. I figure here that Holmes and Watson just don't fully understand what they've just run into.

My #100 post. Sorry, but I didn't read Sherlock Holmes in English, so I was a bit slow to catch on that. Holmes just ran into his new nemesis, Jack the Ripper.

Also for fans of Prof. Moriarty I'm sorry to let him die, but there's just not much to write about him (for me, since I had Mercier in play already). If Morty is present then I could not write too much about Jack since Holmes will then have two mortal enemies.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure that its one of those phrases, like 'beam me up scotty' which Holmes never actually said, but which everyone associates with him nonetheless.

Some announcements: update should come tomorrow with good amounts of screenshots if everything goes right. I'm still doing a bit studying of the history at that time to help me with my writing. Be patient for the update! ;)

By the way here's a question. Is everyone comfortable with the advancement of time in this AAR? This AAR started around three months ago and the time advancement is only going to be around one and a half years after tomorrows update. I like to write a lot of detail of everything so time is advancing relatively slowly.

Oh, and one more thing. If you've anything you wish me to write about please just post your ideas. Feel free to give me your recommendatioins so long as they are relevant, and I'll consider about them when I write. PM me if you wish. Sometimes I can ran out of ideas and it'll be great to have some people providing suggestions of what to write. Hope to hear so from you folks in the near future. :p

Last edited:
@Enewald: Thanks for your suggestion. I'll probably write about it, but only probably. :D For now I have a basic plot thought up to 1900, so try thinking of the time after that for future suggestions. Thanks again.

Here's the update. Again this is subject to minor changes. This post is actually pretty short for now because I plan to put up another follow up for this post which will include the gameplay screenshots and some more contents. The follow up will probably come sometime around tomorrow. I got tangled up with my studies for FINALS (hey, finals worth something like fifty percent of my total grade, so I just have to prepare for them), so I'm sorry to seperate this update into two parts because I'm still trying to edit my screenshots.

.........​

East of Santiago, Cuba, 1898, July 1st

“We have to hold them until the reinforcements arrive! Don’t let them come any closer!” (Spanish)

A Spanish Colonel was yelling orders through the Spanish positions on top of a hill they were holding against advancing U.S. soldiers. Although the Americans easily outnumber them by five to one, the Colonel and his men where holding their enemies off from their positions with their superior Mauser rifles. The Spanish General, General Arsenio Linares, had five thousand troops coming to reinforce the Spanish hilltop position and relief the Colonel’s embattled two thousand men. By holding off the Americans at the strategic point of San Juan Hill, the city of Santiago can be saved from the American Conquestas.

San_Juan_Hill.jpg

The Assault on San Juan Hill​

In the midst of the battle, the Colonel spotted the Americans towing a multibarreled weapon up the hill. He immediately recognized it as a Gatling gun and took aim with his Mauser. A gun crew immediately fell to the ground as the Colonel’s bullet penetrated his head, the Yankee’s blood spilled on the emerald green grass. The Lieutenant then made quick work with the rest of the gun crews.

“Haha, take that, you bastards!” The Colonel taunted at his enemies as he took aim for another target.

“Colonel!” a bloody sergeant suddenly came rushing to the Colonel’s side. “We have news that the reinforcements we’re expecting had been annihilated.”

“What?! How could that be possible? The General had sent us five thousand fresh troops! They can’t just be annihilated!” The Colonel was in total disbelief.

“Colonel! The enemy had just attacked our rear!” A private came out of his breath delievering his message. “Our rear had crumbled, Colonel!”

“What?! When did those Yanks encircled us? Hurry up to your positions. We should hold them with all costs!” The Colonel yelled and took aim with his rifle for another American.

Suddenly a figure leapt into the trench where the Colonel was, briefly blocking out the scorching sun with his figure before slashing the sergeant and the private with the two sabres he was wielding as he landed on the ground.

“Please surrender. Your forces have been totally crushed.” (French) The man said calmly as the sergeant and the private spewed blood, falling to their death place.

“What? Get … get him!” Surprised, the Colonel ordered the other soldiers in the trench at the man, and his men obediently charged at the front and rear of the man, gleaming bayonets mounted on their rifles.

“… as expected …” The man then threw one of his sabres at the Spanish soldiers and drew out a pistol. The sabre strucked the head of a Spanish, instantly killing him. The unkown figure then fired his pistol rapidly, downing more men before he leapt out of the trench, leaving two round objects at the site. The Colonel found out what was left by the man in horror.

“Run! They are Gren … ” The Colonel’s words was brutally interrupted by the blast of the grenades. The trench was then occupied by the dead.

The unkown figure stood up beside the trench and looked into the trench. The soldiers were stained with dirt from the ground and the blood from their own boodies. The man looked at the dead sadly then turned his back at them.

“Alain… what would you think of me if you know that I’m still doing what I’m best at …” The man spoke silently to himself as he prepared to walk away.

“Hahaha! You fool! Facing your back to me. Take this!” (Spanish)

The Spanish Colonel emerged from the trench with a revolver in this hand. A shrapnel from the grenades had struck his right eye and his face was covered with blood. The colonel covered his wounded eye with his left hand while he aimed his gun at his foe with his right.

“ … ” The unkown man looked sadly at the Colonel, and merely pointed at the back of the Colonel with his finger in silence.

“What? Aarrrggghhhh!!!” As the Colonel turned to see what the man was pointing at, a cavalryman from his back charged at him and slashed the throat of the Colonel. The Colonel dropped dead with his eyes still fixed in an stunned stare. The cavalryman then came to the side of the unkown man.

“Hope you don’t mind my terrible French, but did you just let your guard down, Major Rommel?” The man on the horse asked Rommel in a friendly way, but with an awkward, cowboy style French.

“No, Colonel Roosevelt. I was expecting you and your Rough Riders to come at around this time.” Rommel said calmly as he looked up at Roosevelt on Roosevelt’s horse, Little Texas. More Rough Riders were coming on to the top of San Juan Hill and mopping up the rest of the Spanish defenders. It was not long before the men were setting up the Stars and Stripes on the top of the hill.

RoughRiders.jpg

Roosevelt and his Rough Riders​

Last edited:
Enewald said:
Btw, what was the actual reason for Spanish-American war?
Or just nice conquests? :D

The Spanish–American War was an armed military conflict between Spain and the United States that took place between April and August 1898, over the issues of the liberation of Cuba. The war began after American demand for the resolution of the Cuban fight for independence was rejected by Spain. Strong expansionist sentiment in the United States motivated the government to develop a plan for annexation of Spain's remaining overseas territories including Cuba, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and Guam. [7]

The revolution in Havana prompted the United States to send in the warship USS Maine to indicate high national interest. Tension among the American people was raised because of the explosion of the USS Maine, and the yellow journalism newspaper that accused Spanish oppression in its colonies, agitating American public opinion. The war ended after victories for the United States in the Philippine Islands, and Cuba.

On December 1898, the signing of the Treaty of Paris gave the United States control of Cuba, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and Guam.

Is Rommel Wolverine? :D

Enewald said:
Btw, what was the actual reason for Spanish-American war?
Or just nice conquests? :D

The Spamiards sunk the Titanic.

Er... the Maine, I meant :D

Cuba had been in the USA agenda since quite old. Monroe Doctrine, Manifest Destiny and all tha jazz, you know...

@Enewald: I suppose you're asking why the Spanish American War was fought in my game not in RL. Well, the reasons for it was the same in RL. Although this is an alternate history AAR, I suppose that it's not bad to have some historical events in it. ;)

@ColossusCrusher: I'll actually be doing a bit of a character analysis for you all sometime in the future when I finish my finals. So you will get a good view of what kind of a person Rommel is.

OK, here's the follow up update. For those who were expecting my screenshots I'm sorry that I'll have to disappoint you a bit because I decided it is best to reserve most of the ones I have for now for future updates. Sorry about that. Now for the update:

.........​

City of Santiago, Cuba, early July morning, 1898

Rommel sat alone in front of an office desk piled with various documents. There was not much lighting in the room except for the sunlight coming through the windows. It was a typical hot and humid day for the recently conquered city of Santiago. Rommel was busy sorting out the documents in front of him and writing more of them as he look through and analyze the piles of paper he had.

ScreenSave14.jpg

(Greece at around the time of Rommel's arrival)​

ScreenSave19.jpg

(Surprise! Greece declared war at the Ottomans!)​

ScreenSave18.jpg

(Well, an armistice was signed quickly due to the mediation of the Great Powers. Crete was made an autonomous part of the Ottomans Empire but a Greek province all but in name)​

“Major Rommel, do you have some time? I was thinking of having some fine Cuban Coffee with you.” A voice of a cowboy suddenly spoke to Rommel. Rommel looked up from his work and found Roosevelt at his door side.

“Take a seat if you please, but please pardon me for this messy place I have here.” Rommel pointed at an empty seat in front of his desk, which Roosevelt gladly sat upon and put a cup of steaming coffee on Rommel’s desk.

coffee.jpg

(Anything more important than a cup of hot coffee in the morning? :p )​

“The Legion etrangere is certainly as powerful as what I’ve heard from all the legends about it. Your battalion of a thousand men annihilated the Spanish reinforcements of five thousand at San Juan Hill and prevented the Spanish from halting our advance and eventually occupation of Santiago. All at a cost of less than fifty casualties.” Roosevelt said impressively to Rommel before taking a mouthful of coffee from his cup.

“It was not a difficult task once you know the enemy well. I anticipated where their possible route to the hill and used a good quantity of petroleum to my aid. As the Spanish were advancing the soil around them were already drenched with petro, and at the right time I was able to sent the signal for the blaze to be set and the Spanish troops had their front and both flanks instantly ablazed. The Spanish tried to retreat to their rear, but I had the Gatling guns you kindly provided us with and some of our 75mm modèle 1897 ready for action. The rest of it I must say sadly was more of a slaughter than a battle.” Rommel then briefly stopped his work for a sip of Roosevelt's coffee.

Gatling_gun.jpg

A Gatling gun similar to the ones used by Rommel​

Canon_de_75.jpg

Well, here's the famed 75! :cool:

“What a remarkable tactical victory you inflicted on the Spaniards! I must say that you’re an remarkable soldier and tactician.” Roosevelt remarked with admiration.

“I take your compliment with the highest regards, but I must say that I’m more suited to Desert Warfare compared to being in this war we have in the Jungle.”

“Well, Major Rommel, I guess the Spaniards will be suing for peace any time now, am I right?” Roosevelt sat back on his chair and took a large gulp of his coffee.

“Yes, that is a correct assumption, Colonel Roosevelt. The Spanish will probably do so in less than a month.”

“What a fine little war we’ve just fought. Do you mind having a cigar with me? I’ve just obtained some of the finest Cuban Cigars from our folks in Havana.” Roosevelt after saying his words took out a box of cigars with made in Havana, Cuba stamped on it.

Cigar_box.jpg

A box of Cigars​

“I thank you for your offer, Colonel Roosevelt, but I do not smoke. It is bad for your lungs.” Rommel then went back to his work after sipping some more coffee from his cup.

“I can not agree more with you, Major Rommel.” Another voice suddenly said from the door, and Rommel looked up again to find the dominant figure of General Mercier there.

.........​

All right folks, this is the last update before I will be gone for my finals. I'll be gone for two to three weeks. So before I come back I hope people can keep this thread alive and kicking by doing some discussion in here (after all this is in a forum). Do give me suggestions by replying, not just support me in silence. It's really hard for me to feel all the "silent support" here.

For the time being, I've a question for you all. Right now in this AAR I already have quite a lot historical people and I plan to bring in more of them. So the question is do people want some more fictional characters in this AAR? What kind of character should they be like? Please answer this question in detail if you can. Thank you for your help. ;)

Last edited:
Ooh, Rommel likes the Desert...:D

well he was in the foreign legion. i wasnt sure if that was a reference to another rommel or not. great updates still, and a cool battle last update.

Young Hirohito!
A grusian thief!
Pope!
Caliph!
Kaiser!
Rasputin!

Hirohito? Maybe:)
*Russian thief? Probably not due to the fact I have Lenin already :eek:o
Caliph? Not sure for now.
Kaiser? Got it.
Rasputin? Got it.

What I have in mind now is an Italian Maestro, which is not a Sicilian Mafia Boss but a real Maestro of Music. Furthermore I'm thinking of bringing in the main heroine starting next chapter or probably even in the end of this chapter. Her name will be Arietta, which means a short Aria. Thanks for your suggestion anyways.:D

.........​
Not much activity here since I posted my last update.:( Some announcements: the next update will come sometime around next Saturday. Now since I just announced the name of the main heroine, perhaps I can see some more activities here?

Matahari...
Allan Quatermain...
Manfred von Richthofen...
Fantômas...

Grusian Thief = Dugaschewski.

Or Stalin for everyone else. :D
In his early 'political' career.
(terrorism, bank robberies, killings, corruption, etc)

Forgot to mention about this... :eek:o There are more than 10,000 views now! :p Thanks for the support! :D

Matahari...
Allan Quatermain...
Manfred von Richthofen...
Fantômas...

Grusian Thief = Dugaschewski.

Or Stalin for everyone else. :D
In his early 'political' career.
(terrorism, bank robberies, killings, corruption, etc)

Matahari & Allan Quatermain? Perhaps I'll do a combo of the two in the Boer Wars. :D
Manfred von Richthofen? Yes, he will appear. See more below.
Fantômas? Jack the Ripper narrowly beat Fantômas when I was choosing a nemesis for Sherlock Holmes. So no he won't appear.

Stalin? Perhaps ;) (Sorry for treating Grusian as a typo) :eek:o

OK, some more announcements:
I was thinking of making this AAR something bigger than I have ever think of before. I'll be dividing this AAR into multiple parts. Each illustrating a different period of time. Here's the current plan:

Part I (the current one): 1897 ~ the Great War starts, featuring Rommel's father
Part II: the Great War, featuring Rommel? + Manfred?
Part III & IV: 193x ~ the end of WWII, featuring Rommel? + ?
Part V: the Cold War at 2025~ , featuring a Rafale pilot?

The main story line will consist of the five parts listed above. After I finish them perhaps I'll write some side line stories of other characters in the time gap between the main parts.

So from above, the Red Baron and Stalin and other characters I haven't thought of may make appearances in the current part, but will be more prominent in the next part. I may still change my mind about this, because each part will take at least one year for me to complete. According to the plan above, the whole AAR will stretch for a time period of more than a hundred years, making this AAR an epic if you might want to say (total amount of time for me to write: 5~7 years; talk about devotion :p ). Please give suggestions about this. ;)

Last edited:
sounds good to me, if you can manage to keep up the current levels of quality throughout.