• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Troubles in Russia so early... can only spell doom for the Tsardom and the Empire in the near future... or whenever Europe plunges into a massive war against the German Empire. So what if the update was weird, it was very good and very enjoyable at times!

Half There said:

Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed it.

...............​

Here's the update. As usually, it was finished in a rush, so I'll just apologized first for any unclear or awkward content. Here goes the update!! :D

...............​

After the grand ending of the Symphony No. 1 in D minor, Op. 13, the audience was totally bewildered and fascinated. The night’s performance had been a success.

The youn pianist rosed from his seat, and Tchaikovsky went over to him and put his arms around him. He then turned and faced the audience with the pianist, smiling more happily then ever.

“This is Sergei Rachmaninoff, my most gifted student” exclaimed Tchaikovsky proudly. The audience cheered wildly in return.

Sergei_Rachmaninoff2.jpg

Sergei Rachmaninoff​

Moments later, Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky were in the box of the Tsar. The Tsar happily greeted the two.

“It is one of the most excellent performance I’ve ever heard. I heard that you are also the one who composed the Symphony. What a talented man we have here, isn’t it, Maestro Tchaikovsky?”

“Certainly, your highness. I cannot find another man more talented then he is. I myself in his age did not even had half of his musical talent he possess now.” Tchaikovsky seemed ever most delighted with his student.

Rommel eyed Rachmaninoff closely. He was certainly being gripped by nervousness, as two of the most respected people in the world are before him are praising his musical strength.

“I’ve decided!” exclaimed Nicholas II, “You are to be my Royal Pianist serving for my family. When my daughter Olga grows up, you are to personally instruct her.”

“This is … too much for me, you … your highness.” Rachmaninoff almost stammered as he finished his words. He dared not even to look up at the Tsar.

“No, no. It will be the most suitable position for you. If you are worried that it will affect you with your current work I can assure you not to worry about it. You will still be allowed to do your compositions at will and make performances where and when you prefer. However, I’m now leaving my daughter’s future in your hands. You shall not decline my offer, and I believe you will not fail me in making my daughter at least a wonderful performer.” Nicholas II said firmly to Rachmaninoff, holding him with his hands. A silence then followed.

“Ahhh … Monsieur Rachmaninoff seems to need some time to decide, mon Empereur. I say that this matter can be discussed in some other day. Monsieur Rachmaninoff must be tired after tonight’s performance.” General Mercier suddenly spoke to the Tsar in a manner that seemed to make one’s bone shook.

“Why … yes, certainly” said Nicholas II in a rather nervous way. “However I demand that you play again a part of the first movement tonight to my wife and I. This I’ll definitely not allow you to refuse.”

“Yes, your highness …” said Rachmaninoff silently. As he looked up his eyes met Rommel’s. Although the two man came from two different worlds, they seemed to find something they share in common in each other’s eyes.

General Mercier’s room, Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, late in the night

WinterPalace.jpg

The Winter Palace​

“This diplomatic mission we had has been most successful. The Tsar is completely imcompetent to any degree, and can be a great target for exploitation.” General Mercier said amusingly, holding a fine tea cup in his hand.

“Certainly, mon General.” Rommel said in a low voice. Various documents had piled up on the General’s table. On many of the documents the signiature of both the Tsar and Röell were present.

“In the past few days we have been able to secure many secret agreements between our two countries. The Tsar seemed very fond of a southward strategy to extend the Russian influence into the Indian Ocean starting with Afghanistan. This will make sure that the British will have to act cautiously when dealing colonial issues with us.” The general took a sip from his tea cup and continued.

“The Tsar seems to be very fond of you, Major Rommel. Your skills and your unusual charisma seemed to have charmed him especially. Although he doesn’t talk much about you in public, he has been talking about you in private almost everytime we met. He seemed fascinated about you and have the intention to keep you by his side as long as possible.” Mercier suddenly looked at Rommel with a strange smile. Rommel did not respond in any kind.

“In one of our trade agreements, the Tsar had agreed to purchase more of the Fabrique Nationale built Nagant Revolver, since their production lines are still inadequate. Those revolvers really are in high demand in the Russian Army, especially in the higher ranks.”

“… The major who challenged me to a duel days before ... was he sent by you to let me have a chance to impress the Tsar, mon General?” Rommel raised his head and asked.

“Ahhh… your instincts are sharp. So sharp that it sometimes makes me uncomfortable. It is not hard to find a man who is willing to risk his life for what he really wanted here in Russia. The major … Suminov if I remembered correctly, was a broke alcoholic, a nobody to be precise. However, it seemed that he was someone that cared dearly for his mother who was ill with pneumonia. I simply told him that I will make sure his mother gets medical treatments if he will provoke you and win you in a duel in front of the Tsar.”

“You know that it is immposible for him to win me, am I right?”

“Yes, of course. And that’s why he is a fool. A fool that can only be manipulated and die without any purpose that can serve himself.”

“… His mother … do you know anything of her in the present?” Rommel asked quietly.

“No, I’d not care for someone’s dying mother at all” said Mercier in a rather disgusted manner. “She probably died in some wretched hut of hers without anyone by her side.” The General then walk towards the window, and looked at the clear, cloudless night sky.

“The Tsar will be heading to Sevastopol in a few days, and possibly head for Athens when he got there. There seems to be some crisis going up with the Greeks and the Ottomans. You are to follow the Tsar to his destinations, which he will gladly welcome, and receive my instructions from some of our agents already operating there. Understood?”

“ … Yes, mon General.”

Rommel then looked at Mercier as the General walked over to the fireplace and sent a document into the burning fire, letting it gradually being turned into a pile of ashes. The document seemed to bear the name Suminov.

“Will there be a fire that can consume everything with its scorching flames?” Rommel thought silently to himself.

Leon-Degeneration.jpg

Rommel (The man in the image most resembles the Rommel I wanted to portrait in appearance. )​

...............​

Alright, for those who are interested in Music in the late Romantic Age (like me), here's a link for Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no.3 (I can't find his Symphony No.1, sorry). Enjoy!! :p

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no.3

Ra Ra RACHMANINOFF! (Yes, this sounds a bit lame)

BTW, I'll be doing some editing of my previous posts since this update is the end off the current chapter. I'll inform the changes made when I'm done.

Last edited:
Rommel, please.

Kill Mercier, if you don't mind.

the general has a little too much influence over the tsar, i think. and i agree he should die and horribly.

i am wishing you hadnt posted that picture of rommel. i wont be able to read about him without thinking of some weird semi-emo lets-create-a-darkly-good-looking-and-obviously-american-video-game-character-who-looks-hard. thats just my opinion obviously, and its fair enough as he is your created character - he just doesnt look like a french soldier/assassin (or whatever you would class him as) from the late 19th century.

I've selected you to replace me as the holder of the best Character WritAAR of the week award. This is well deserved so congratz, I really like your AAR!

What's the picture from?

its leon kennedy, from resident evil. at least he does know how to fight, i'll give him that.

BritishImperial said:
i am wishing you hadnt posted that picture of rommel. i wont be able to read about him without thinking of some weird semi-emo lets-create-a-darkly-good-looking-and-obviously-american-video-game-character-who-looks-hard. thats just my opinion obviously, and its fair enough as he is your created character - he just doesnt look like a french soldier/assassin (or whatever you would class him as) from the late 19th century.

Sorry about posting the picture. I can't really find someone image of some French soldier/assassin from the 19th century, and I just wanted to let people have an idea of what Rommel look like. If I can I'll try to post a drawing of Rommel (and yes it's me who's going to do the drawing). I'm definitely not the best artist, but I'll definitely try my best to present a good drawing of Rommel.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways. :p

BritishImperial said:
its leon kennedy, from resident evil. at least he does know how to fight, i'll give him that.

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 as Leon for quite a long time now (I beat the whole game at least 3 times already). So Leon really did influence my character design of Rommel. It is safe to say that I modeled Rommel after Leon, but the personality has been completely changed.

Enewald said:
And what has Rommel done with the czar?

Something from the last update: Rommel impressed the Tsar with his combat skills and the charisma he seems to possess naturally. I tried my best to make it clear. Perhaps the Tsar's fondness of Rommel will be more clear to you in my future updates. My plans for now for the next chapter is about Rommel's trip to Greece with the Tsar. Look forward to it!! :cool:

TheEnlighted1 said:
I've selected you to replace me as the holder of the best Character WritAAR of the week award. This is well deserved so congratz, I really like your AAR!

Thanks. I appreciate that. It is a great boost to my morale! :p

Kurt_Steiner said:
Rommel, please.

Kill Mercier, if you don't mind.

Sorry to say this, but Mercier will live for a great length of this AAR. However in the next chapter Mercier will not appear. The wicked old man will reside in the back stage for the moment. ;)

Last edited:
Ok. Well, some strange thing better burst out of Mercier's head and make him look like a Zombie Protoss Dragoon...with a weakness to rocket launchers to the eyes...:D

i didnt mean to cause offence. i realise there arent many photos around from that time period, partiuclarly of people fitting your needs :D

ColossusCrusher said:
Ok. Well, some strange thing better burst out of Mercier's head and make him look like a Zombie Protoss Dragoon...with a weakness to rocket launchers to the eyes...:D

Haha, you don't mean this, don't you?

saddler.jpg

I'll say this is rather a badass spider form. However, Mercier will not turn into a giant killing monster or anything of the same kind. Sorry about that. :p

BritishImperial said:
i didnt mean to cause offence. i realise there arent many photos around from that time period, partiuclarly of people fitting your needs

For sure I know you mean no offence. But I am really going to do a drawing of Rommel (because I wanted do, not because of anything else). I'm not the best drawer but I hope you can look forward to it! :D

Last edited:
The thing also is that when you imagesearch that name a rather different chap pops up. :p

Aww, that would be awesome. :(
What name do you search Trekaddict?

well, you put in rommel, and some german bloke pops up...

All right folks, before I post tonight's update, there are somethings to inform:

First of all, I think I'm mostly done with the re-editing of my previous posts. No contents were removed. I just revised my wording to make the story more easily understandable. However, I suggest reading the last part of my previous post again to better understand the story. That update was really a bit messy before I edited it.

Also, for those who don't know, I set up a table of contents for people to better navaigate to my multiple updates. Use it to your convenience. :D

gaiasabre11 said:
For sure I know you mean "no" offence. But I am really going to do a drawing of Rommel.

BritishImperial, this is just to avoid or clear some misunderstanding (if any exist). I forgot to type in the "no" before the word "offence". I just found out today (so I edited it), and I felt like an idiot :eek:o . I'm terribly sorry for this. You are one of my most supportive readers, and I wish you are not offended by my stupid mistake.

gaiasabre11 said:
BritishImperial, this is just to avoid or clear some misunderstanding (if any exist). I forgot to type in the "no" before the word "offence". I just found out today (so I edited it), and I felt like an idiot :eek:o . I'm terribly sorry for this. You are one of my most supportive readers, and I wish you are not offended by my stupid mistake.

thats alright. i guessed that's what you meant. i wasn't very nice about your picture, anyway, so i'd had sort of understood :D

Here's the update. It's written in a rush again, and it seems that all my updates will be written in a rush from now on. :eek:o

About the update this time, I'm actually not really satisfied with it, so there is a possibility that I'll rewrite a large part of today's update. There will not be any images yet because I'm still treating it as a bit of a draft. I hope you all won't mind looking at it and give me some feedbacks. I really appreciate any comments on my writing. (Updated. Not a draft anymore.)

.........​

Chapter III

Athens, Greece, late April, 1897

“It has been a long day …”thought Rommel quietly.

Rommel loaded a fresh magazine into my Luger, then burst into his designated house. The house was occupied with four men and seemed to be having a meeting. They looked completely surprised when they saw Rommel. Without any hesitation Rommel sliced the closest man’s throat and swiftly emptied his gun on the remaining three men. The men were all dead before they can even react properly.

“AAARRRGGGHHH!!!” an unexpectedly a fifth man burst out from Rommel’s side and knocked Rommel’s knife out of his hand. Rommel then let man have his gun without any serious struggle. Not surprisingly the man pointed the gun at Rommel and pulled the trigger. He immediately found out the gun was empty and threw it aside in a rage, then charged at Rommel with his fists.

“… It’s no use …” said Rommel calmly.

With a skillful maneuver, Rommel grabbed hold of the man’s head with both of his hand and twisted it to the side violently. The man let out a choking sound as his neck was broken, and collapsed to the floor motionless.

“Impressive, as usual. However it seems that you need not rest for now. Your guard is a little down, Major Rommel.” A man standing by the door of the now emptied house said quietly to Rommel.

“Yes, it seems so. Even I cannot carry to much of these missions each night, Adjudant.” Rommel looked tiredly at his subordinate.

Athens, Greece, a few weeks ago

In one of the newest battleship of the Imperial Russian Navy, Rostislav, Tsar Nicholas II arrived at the port of Athens. It was the first state visit made by the Tsar to another foreign country since he became Tsar. However, the Queen of Greece, Olga Constantinovna of Russia, was Nicholas II’s aunt, and she and her husband George I of the Hellenes welcomed the Tsar warmly admist a cheering crowd.

Rostislav_battleship.jpg

The Rostislav

“If it was not for General Mercier I’ll definitely not be making this visit” said Nicholas II to Rommel by his side in a whisper as they arrived in Athens. “It seems that I have no way to refuse what he asked me to do. Is the General always so dominating?” asked Nicholas II in a curious tone.

“Yes, mon Empereur, he is.” said Rommel silently.

The Tsar along with Rommel was brought to the newly completed Greek Royal Palace, a splendid piece of architect in every sense. The Tsar was to stay there during the his whole visit.

grp1.jpg

The Greek Royal Palace​

“Nicholas!” exclaimed Queen Olga to Nicholas II, “when I last saw you you were still a child. Now look at you. The Tsar of Russia, ruler of more then one hundred million subjects and the greatest empire in the world!” Queen Olga was happier than ever to able to see his nephew, and talked excitedly as they all enter the royal palace.

King_Gerorge_and_Queen_Olga_of_Gree.jpg

The Greek Royal Couple​

“Ahhh, by the way, there are two men beside you that doesn’t seem to be your servant or anything like that. Who are they?” Queen Olga suddenly asked.

“Oh, these two men are geniuses in their respective fields. This man we have here is Sergei Rachmaninoff, a most talented composer and certainly an unmatchable pianist in the world.” Nicholas II spoke proudly of Rachmaninoff, who now looked embarrassed.

“The other man we have is Major Rommel of the French Foreign Legion. He is a most gallant man who saved my life during an assassination attempt, and possess unbeatable combat skills. I cannot even stand a full minute against him when he was teaching me fencing on board the Rostislav.” Tsar II looked at Rommel and smiled most pleasantly.

“Ahhh, you are a master of fencing!” exclaimed Queen Olga to Rommel. “What a perfect timing you’ve just arrived. We are having a small fencing tournament between some junior army officers just starting now in our garden! It will be most wonderful if you can participate.” The queen looked most excitedly at Rommel.

“Yes, I shall participate, if it will please you” said Rommel in a low tone.

...​

After a while, Rommel scored the final point needed to defeat his last opponent. Rommel won the tournament with great ease. There was even no sign of sweating on him.

“Ahhh, Major Rommel is certainly unbeatable! He even beat Lieutanant Adelphos, who had never lost to anyone before.” Queen Olga exclaimed more excited than ever, and apparently took a similar liking of Rommel as Tsar Nicholas II.

“I’d like to know more about you, Major Rommel. We can certainly talk a whole lot of you when we listen to Monsieur Rachmaninoff playing the piano.” While Speaking, Queen Olga gradually moved for the Royal Palace, everyone else seemed to be following the queen to the interior of the Palace.

“Wait! I demand a rematch! This time we will not use these useless fencing swords, but real sabres!” Rommel’s last opponent, the man named Adelphos shouted from behind the crowd, and threw his face mask at Rommel. Rommel caught the mask and gave Adelphos a terrifying glare.

“Adelphos, don’t act like that because you lost your first match. Are you not aware that you are being extremely rude in front of my guest, the Tsar of Russia?” Queen Olga said in a slightly disgusted manner.

“Your highness, if it is alright with you, I’ll like to accept a rematch.” Rommel suddenly said calmly beside the Queen.

“What, Major Rommel, you are not going to accept this rude challenge, are you? Furthermore I dislike bloodshed, so I will not allow a real sword fight in front of me.” Queen Olga said in a surprised tone, probably not expecting Rommel to accept the challenge.

“Very well, then I’ll use the scabbard of the lieutanant’s sabre. No bloodshed will happen, I can promise that to you, your highness.” Rommel said ever more calmly.

“This I’ll have to see!” exclaimed Nicholas II. “You certainly have a lot of confidence, Major Rommel. Please then let the match begin.” Nicholas II said enthusiastic.

“Nicholas, why you really like to see these matches. Alright, Major Rommel, but be quick as possible. I’d really love to listen to Rommel speaking about himself.”

...​

“This time I’ll certainly let you pay for my humiliation. You can not win against me with a mere scabbard, you overconfident fool!” taunted Lieutanant Adelphos, while he skim across the length of his sabre with his fingers.

“…”

“The rules of this match is simple, the first one to disarm his opponent wins.” Queen Olga’s butler said from the side. “If both are ready, then let the match … begin!”

“Yeearrggghhh!!!” roared Adelphos, waving his sabre madly. He swung his weapon at Rommel wildly again and again, but only sliced through air as Rommel dodged every attack.

“… useless attacks.”

Suddenly Rommel swung the scabbard and hit the back of the lieutanant’s head with great force. The lieutanant immediately dropped to his knees, and some of his saliva came out of his mouth.

“This shall be it … ” said Rommel, and he started to walk away.

“Why … you …” Lieutanant Adelphos clutches a handful of sand with his empty hand, and mercilessly threw it at Rommel’s eyes. “Take this! You Bastard!!” shouted Adelphos as he swung his sabre once again at Rommel.

“I said before, it’s useless.” Rommel calmly said as he caught Adelphos’ sabre holding hand, and crushed the bones of Adelphos’ hand. Rommel then landed his fist on the lieutenant’s nose, breaking it and at the same time sending the lieutenant flying to a few metres away.

“Your hand can not properly hold a sword or a gun anymore. You are just not fit to do so.” Rommel said coldly, and left the lieutenant panting and groaning on the ground.

“The winner, clearly is Major Rommel!” remarked the butler.

“Oh, Major Rommel, I was so worried when that good for nothing lieutenant tried to blind you with the sand. Why didn’t it effect you?” asked Queen Olga worriedly.

“I was in the Sahara before, where sand storms are just as common as meals. A little sand cannot affect me at all.” Rommel said calmly, and threw the scabbard he was holding at the lieutenant. The lieutenant cried loudly in pain when he was hit.

“The Sahara! It seems like that you’ve a lot about you to tell me. Please let’s get in. We have been out here for an awfully long time.”

...​

As the everyone sits around the piano with Rachmaninoff playing, Rommel told his experience he had as a Legionnaire. Everyone seemed fascinated, whether it is by Rachmaninoff’s music or Rommel’s tales.

After dinner, Rommel spoke calmly to Queen Olga with Tsar Nicholas II beside her.

“Your highness, it has been wonderful of you to play host to me. However, I dohave some operations assigned by my superior. I’m afraid I’ll have to leave right now.”

“What?” exclaimed the Queen, “This cannot be. You delighted me more than anyone else I have ever met before. I cannot just let you leave” said the Queen sternly, obviously displeased.

“I’m afraid I must leave, but if you let the guards of the gates know of me, I’ll be able to return in the morning to this place. My superior did order me to stay with you, mon Empereur, so do not worry that I'll not return.”

“Major Rommel, it is General Mercier who assigned you your operations, am I right? The General certainly does know how to make someone labour.” remarked Nicholas II, a bit displeased as his aunt.

“Yes, mon Empereur. I’ll be leaving now. Bonne nuit.”

...​

As Rommel left the palace, he took out a piece of paper with some neatly typed messages. Rommel searched through the lines and found the line he was looking for …

“Adjudant Alain Kemal, French Foreign Legion, Near East Operative”

...​

Last edited: