• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jack The Ripper... I wonder what Mary Kelly or Liz Chapman would say -if they could- about this...

For some reason I missed this when you first started. I'm glad I discovered it...very nice AAR, I'll be following.

it certainly does. i dont think i like this erwin rommel very much, but he's better than that psycho leading the french.

To answer some previous questions, yes, the Rommel I'm writing about is indeed the Fox's father, Erwin Rommel Sr..

BritishImperial said:
i dont think i like this erwin rommel very much, but he's better than that psycho leading the french.

Erwin Rommel Sr. in my story had a different past than in the real world. He was a knight (like his son) before, but for some reasons (unknown for now) he lost his lady and then the lord he served. Rommel, being charged with many crimes (his past will be fully revealed to explain how and why this happened, but later in the story) and left only with military and fighting skills, has no choice to become a mercenary and find another lord (in this case Mercier) to serve. In my story he is now nothing more than a fighting machine that takes orders, but you may think about this question for now: how will Rommel react and change if he meets his son Erwin Rommel Jr.? :confused:

Last edited:
New update! However next week I'll have some midterms to worry about, so I can not gurantee the any updates will be up or not next week.

..........................................​

“Jack…the Ripper?”

“Yes, Mr. Rommel, you may not have heard of me, since I have not appeared on the headlines for quite a long time. I know quite about you, though, Mr. Rommel, or should I refer to you by your other name, Mort Blanche (White Death)?”

“Mort…Blanche…” I repeated these words slowly to myself.

“Yes, Mr. Blanche, if you don’t mind, I know that you have been known by this name ever since your service in Africa. Your unpublicized operations in Algeria are particularly impressive, wiping out whole villages to get rid of resistance forces… However, the one part of your past that most interests me, is…”

“What is it of my past…” I asked coldly.

Jack looked into my eyes and let out a very uncomfortable, eerie smile.

“You are a murderer, just like me.”

Without warning, I fired two shots at Jack’s forehead. However, the burly man beside Jack stood out and took the shots on his forearm. The shots punctured two holes in the man’s greatcoat, revealing the shining slanted steel plate armor beneath, approximately one inch thick. The bullets had clearly been stopped dead.

“Ah, such wonderful eyes you have there.” Jack said, gazing into my now red hot eyes. “But you definitely don’t want to enrage Brutus, do you?” He said in an uncomfortable tone, smiling.

The towering man named Brutus looked at me with his piercing and almost blood red eyes through his mask without a word.

“You can consider Brutus as my henchman, if you wish. He only follows my command, as I’m the one that brought him up to a man. Do you know why he wears a mask?”
Jack reach out to Brutus’ face and took off the bottom half of Brutus’ two-piece mask. Where I expect to see a mouth was filled by void; the man’s lower jaw was missing completely.

“Brutus was once in the circus as an orphan, however the people in charge of the circus didn’t like him because he didn’t smile a lot and was a bad child. So they devised a way to get rid of in the most “economical” way, which involves a hungry lion not fed for days. The lion of course went straight for Brutus throat when Brutus was tricked into its cage, but got Brutus’ head instead. Brutus fortunately had a long knife with him at the time, and luckily struck the lion’s eye and killed it with a skillful cut to the neck. However, the lion ripped of his lower jaws before it died. I discovered him dying of the wounds inflicted by the lion, and took care of him since he was such an interesting boy. I heard his story from rumors spread around the circus, isn’t it a real tragedy of life? Hahaha……” Jack chuckled, as if telling a fairytale. Brutus by his side did not make any sound as his master laughed, but merely took back the bottom piece of his mask and put it back onto his face.

“Enough of the introduction. We have more matters to take care of.” General Mercier suddenly stood up from his chair and said. “Black Jack, for now you will take over Rommel’s mission of crushing existing resistance in this colony, with the code name Noir (Black). You have my full authorization to use any method you like. Just make sure the local population does not decrease by too much that we will have a shortage of laborers”

“Yes, mon Generale…” Jack said with a slight bow, grinning slightly in an uncomfortable sense. “Till we meet again then… Mr. Blanche…”

With that Jack and Brutus disappeared into the darkness, leaving no trace that they had been here. I stared at the void where they disappeared.

General Mercier then turned to me “Major Rommel, you should accompany me as my aide before another mission is assigned to you. Now please come with me.”

...​

I followed the General out of the palace, and we rode to an open field in the outskirts of the city. We arrived at a well lit, busy site that seemed cleared only recently. Suddenly, a large rumbling sound of an engine began to become ever more noticeable from above.

“What is this…” I asked, looking at the sky above with awe. A massive shadow cast over the site we were on.

Above us a massive floating vessel, more than two hundred meters in length, gradually descends to the brightly lit field around us. People scrambling around us screaming orders back and forth. It seems that they are preparing for the landing of the vessel.

“An Impressive air vessel, isn’t she?” General Mercier said beside me. “She is named La Republique. Ever since La France in the 1880s we did not have a breakthrough in this field of technology. Fortunately a few years ago we started to have Monsieur Zeppelin aiding us. Although he complained a lot when we move him to Saigon to have him work secretly on this magnificent vessel, I’d say that he is a man that cares for his family a lot…”

“Mon Generale, we are ready for boarding.” A soldier ran over to us and reported.

“Good. Tell the men we are about to board.”

“This is certainly something at least a generation ahead of our time…” I said quietly, watching the behemoth before me.

“Yes, she certainly is. With La Republique’s top speed of one hundred kilometers per hour and range of ten thousand kilometers, we shall be able to arrive in St. Petersburg in a few days.” Mercier said, smiling proudly.

“St. Petersburg… Are we on for a diplomatic meeting with the Russians?” I asked, surprised with the destination.

With a mysterious smile, the general said, “Let’s say that we have a Symphony Concert to hear first, shall we?”

...........................................​

Here's the picture of La France:

Krebs-Renard_LA-FRANCE_1884.jpg

However La Republique will more resemble the Graf Zeppelin:

ZeppelinLZ127a.jpg

Originally I didn't plan to add La Republique into the story. However I realized that at the end of march 1897 something important (to me) occured in St. Petersburg. Therefore I decided to take the story to there (the next update will reveal what exactly is the important event). Sea travel will be to slow so I used the Airship as the method of travel for Mercier and Rommel.

Mercier2.jpg

General Mercier​

By the way to do some character analysis for Mercier, I will say that the Mercier I want to portrait will be someone that is the combination of the following two.

2002788790391016373_fs.jpg

Phillippe Petain​

obrien-1.jpg

O'Brien (of Orwell's novel 1984)​

General Mercier will certainly be someone that one will have to be aware of...

Last edited:
A Rommel, a Zeppelin... This Germanized France is really... surprising.

Creepy...

Some annoucements:
First of all, I have a midterm exam on Wednesday, so there will not be an update on that day.
Second of all, I have another midterm on Friday, and yet another one on next Monday (yes, it sucks for me). So, there is a possibility (only a possibility) that there will be no update this week. I'll still try my best to squeeze out an update.

Kurt_Steiner said:
A Rommel, a Zeppelin... This Germanized France is really... surprising.

If you think that I'm going to write about a Germanized France then I'll have to say you're wrong. I did not intend to make France Germanized (at least not too much), and I hope I can change your view of this AAR as the story goes on.

By the way, I use 1897 as the starting year not only because it is a fun year to start with, but an interesting year to start writing. You may expect a lot of historical and/or fictional people from all over the world (so not just Rommel) to appear in the story as this AAR progresses. In this AAR, France is the center stage of the world, so just wait until all the actors start gathering...

Last edited:
gaiasabre11 said:
If you think that I'm going to write about a Germanized France then I'll have to say you're wrong. I did not intend to make France Germanized (at least not too much), and I hope I can change your view of this AAR as the story goes on.

I knew it, but two Germans in France surprised me. I know that there is no a Teutonic furor going down in Versailles, but I couldn't find a better term.

gaiasabre11: ...next week I'll have some midterms to worry about..

school grades stay with you forever. updates get buried with time. go for the grades ! ! ::nods::

gaiasabre11:
...Sea travel will be to slow so I used the Airship as the method of travel for Mercier and Rommel.

splendid ! ! :)

gaiasabre11:
...General Mercier will certainly be someone that one will have to be aware of...

not to mention someone to beware of ? ? :D

excellent update ! !
:cool:

Alright, I'm back from the suffering of multiple midterms. The next update is around half done, and will be posted by Wednesday. I think I can then regularly post updates until next Wednesday. I have more midterms next week (which really sucks), so by then the updating may have to stop again temporarily. Thank you everyone who had supported this AAR, and I wish that all of you will have a great reading experience in the following updates.

Here's a info leak about the "Symphony Concert" I mentioned last time. The Symphony Rommel and Mercier are about to hear is composed by the following man:

Sergei_Rachmaninoff.jpg

He is a great Russian Composer of the late 19th and early 20th century. (Someone that I literally worship) Try looking up wiki if you want to know who is he before I reveal his name.

Over 5000 views!! This AAR finally reached this mark! Thanking everyone who has been following this AAR, and here’s the long awaited update.

...................................​

CHAPTER II

March 27, 1897, Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg

The_Mariinsky_Theatre.jpg

Rommel sat uneasily, constantly adjusting his position in his seat. It was just too comfortable. He was more used to the roughness of gravel than the coziness of the leather seat.

“The Mariinsky Theatre is certainly a splendid place for a performance, isn’t it?” asked General Mercier, sitting by his side.

Rommel looked around the interior of the grand opera house. It was ever so grand … a world never seen before by him, especially with the Tsar of Russia sitting just in front of him. All the grandeur … just seemed too distant and unfamiliar for him to understand.

“I would find myself more suitable in waiting at the door” said Rommel.

“No, stay. Take it as an order, if you wish.” answered Mercier.

“ … … … ”

The stage curtains then rose, and an old gentleman who seemed to be the conductor gradually came to the middle of the stage. Rommel searched his memory, and remembered the name Tchaikovsky. The famed composer and conductor gradually readied the symphony members.

Tschaikowski.jpg

Tchaikovsky​

However, the pianist who was going to play did not appear until the very last moment. He was a young, slim man who seemed to be in his twenties. He looked quite nervous and uneasy as he walk across the stage, but as he sat down before the piano, he suddenly looked serious and had the appearance of a well seasoned pianist. There was chattering everywhere about who the pianist was and why the famous Tchaikovsky was to be the conductor of this concert by an unnamed composer. Rommel simply waited silently as the concert began...

Mid-March, 1897, La Republique, above the Russian Plains

The rustling of the wind outside the cabin reminded Rommel of the Sahara. There was a saying: “Nothing can live in the desert … except snakes, scorpions, and the Legionnaires.” Rommel always wondered about whether the saying is true. Perhaps it was when the blood of the enemy, and of their family, was spilled on the ever moving sands of the desert, with a empty blazing town behind him, did Rommel realizes the truthfulness of the saying.

The Russian Plains beneath him was beautiful seem from above. Everything seemed so small when one is at level with the clouds that once seem unreachable. After gazing awhile through the large cabin window, Rommel went back and buried himself in his mathematics problems. His father was a mathematician, and now searching for proofs and the perfect algorithm to solve difficult mathematics problems became Rommel’s only pastime.

“I see that you are busying yourself, Major Rommel.” General Mercier came from another cabin and said beside Rommel. The interior of La Republique was spacious enough to contain over seventy-five passengers and crews along with various cabins for living and compartments for many other purposes. Rommel often busied himself in the General’s private study room, which the General allowed him access to. Although the room was decorated with multiple paintings and artifacts of high artistic values, Rommel felt unaccustomed with the General’s tastes, and only used the room because it offered a splendid view of the different worlds La Republique crossed from above.
“Yes, mon General. I’m finished with analyzing the data you passed to me, and do not wish to make myself idle while I await your coming. ”

“Efficient as always, Major Rommel. Now would you please gather up your analysis and reported them one after another to me? ” The General then sat on luxurious chair behind his mahogany office table.

“Yes, mon General." said Rommel obediently. "First of all, we have this report from the colonial department in Africa.” said Rommel, putting a file of paper on the desk. The top of the file had an image attached.

event1-3.jpg

“The British are already upset with our ambition in Africa, and they certainly will not tolerate our annexation of Siam.”

“Yes, however, they are already making their own moves in Africa, specifically in Sudan.” The General took out a piece of paper too had an image attached.

ScreenSave9.jpg

“Certainly. They are trying to realize their dream of extending their sphere of influence from Cairo to Cape Town unopposed. This kind of North to South route of expansionism clashes with our ambition of stretching our sphere of influence west to east of the continent.” Rommel then let out a small cough, and cleared his throat to continue.

“For now, we cannot match the British in a colonial conflict. Although we do have a superior army, their navy is better organized, more experienced, and not to mention, far larger than our own. Their power through naval projection is far greater than ours, and certainly overseas warfare with them is not a choice. I’m sure that the British is also aware of their superiority, thus they are very likely to intervene for Siam sake. Even if they are fine with the destruction of the Siamese state, they will certainly demand some of our conquests, such as a strip of land that will give a land connection from Burma to the Malay Peninsula. ”

“Good. Your analysis is clear and straightforward as usual. You can now see we are now heading for St. Petersburg, right?” Mercier said almost amusingly.

“Yes. The British goal of colonial expansions is mainly to secure their “crown jewel” India, which is obvious when examining their other overseas acquisitions, Egypt and South Africa, both guarding the routes toward India. If we can apply pressure on India through another ally, it is possible that the British will let us take Siam without any demands.” Rommel then cleared his throat before continuing.

ScreenSave11.jpg

Afghanistan​

“The ally will certainly be Russia. The Russians have always wished to have access to open seas other than through the Straights of Bosporus. In the past decades they have been advancing in Central Asia, and they are now bordering Afghanistan, which now acts as a Buffer State between Russia and British India. We should certainly ask the Russians when we meet them to pressure the British over Afghanistan, therefore making the British felt pressured from two sides and force them to accept the situation as it is now. They cannot be strong everywhere and guarantee all their interest around the globe. However, I’m afraid we still have to make some concessions elsewhere. Although we caught the British by surprise in the lightning conquest of Siam, they too made progress in Sudan. Even though we have some forces near the borders of Sudan mobilizing to realize our dream of West to East domination of the continent, we will probably meet the British conquest force in Fashoda, where they will have a better equipped, not to mention a larger force ready for action. We too cannot be strong everywhere, so Sudan might just have to go to the British.”

ScreenSave10.jpg

French Forces​

ScreenSave12.jpg

British Forces​

“Very good. However, you seem to leave out the possibility of Germany intervening for Britain. ”

“I did not forget about the that. As for the Reich, it is very unlikely that she can make any difference in colonial matters for now. Her colonial armies are small and irrelevant, and her navy is even smaller compared to ours. Even if the Reich were to wage a war on the European Continent, it will certainly be against public, not to mention international opinion for starting a conflict for a small colonial dispute. Furthermore, the Reich seems to have another theatre to flex her muscles, namely the Balkans. Although the Reich has a large German majority, she does have a large Slavic population. For some time now nationalists from the Balkans, notably Serbia, have called for national awareness in many of the Reich’s Balkan Provinces, creating much unrests. It seems that the Reich’s current main goal dealing with external issues is to bring the Balkans into her sphere of influence, either by establishing satellite states or by direct annexation. If the Reich does get the Balkans, it may serve as a launch board for future aggressions in the Near East. We may have to be aware of that.” Rommel finished by passing down another file with an image attached.

Balkan1.jpg

The Balkans​

“Excellent, you have just reported what I was planning for some time. Aside from being one of my finest subordinates, you can certainly be a successful administrator in one of the Republic’s departments or even a ministry.” Mercier smiled with satisfaction.

“I thank you for your compliment. However, I do worry about something.”

“What is it?” The general let out a smile. “Do not hide it from me.”

“I always thought that mon General dislike publicity. However, in this diplomatic mission we do not even have a prominent minister or the like with us. I don’t suppose that mon General wishes to meet the Tsar yourself? ”

“Of course not. And in fact we have the Foreign minister, Joan Röell with us.”

The General rang a little bell, and a man was brought in to the study room. The man almost stumbled on the floor when he was released from the grasp of the men bringing him in. Although there seemed to be no injuries on the man, he was pale white, panting and gasping for air.

“Good day, Monsieur Röell, I presume that you’re willing to cooperate now, are you?” General Mercier asked in a polite tone.

“Ne…Never. You…you scoundrel! ” Röell said angrily, gasping as he said.

“Oh, what a pity.” Mercier looked rather disappointed. “Then I suggest you take some more water.”

“No… NO!! Don’t give me any more water!” Röell suddenly turned whiter then before, with his eyes full of fear. “I beg you! Don’t give me any more water! I’ll do anything! Please, don’t!” Röell then went on his knees, begging.

“I’m afraid it’s too late to beg. I shall meet you again once you have learned to be obedient.” After Mercier finished, the men that brought Röell in came back and drag the pleading and shrieking Röell to an unknown compartment of the airship.

“Fear of water… did mon General use that torture method again?” Rommel asked in a low tone.

“Yes, the water method of torture. It is rather one of the simplest yet most effective ways of making someone suffer. It only requires a water pump and tube, plus some water reserves. Hold the tube into the victim’s mouth and just start pumping water in without stopping. The victim will literally drown again and again if the method is repeated, with some breathing space for the victim to recover, of course. Pretty useful method isn’t it, especially if you want to ensure that the victim does not have any physical injuries. ” The General then took a sip of fine tea.

“Monsieur Röell has to meet the Tsar, we wouldn’t want him to have a terrible appearance, is that correct?” Mercier said with his usually charming smile.

“As you say so, mon General.” Rommel said silently.

……………………………….​

All right, something to mention. Tchaikovsky is actually not a conductor but only a composer in real life, and in fact he died in 1893, four years earlier than the time of this AAR. I brought him in because I think that this will make the story more interesting. Oh, and just to make everything clear, the Symphony about to make its premier is not by Tchaikovsky but by someone very influenced by Tchaikovsky.

By the way I did this update rather in a hurry, so there might be something strange with it. Please point out places where you feel unusual, thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Now you mention it... a general, torturing a Minister... isn't Mercier going too a bit out of his office?

the general is not a very nice man, i think its safe to say.

if we are to see war with britain, i cant wait.

The predecessor to waterboarding...methinks Mercier is not a nice person...

Kurt_Steiner said:
Now you mention it... a general, torturing a Minister... isn't Mercier going too a bit out of his office?

You can think of Mercier as someone more than a General, someone that is actually in charge of the nation. The Chef of the Republic is probably a more suitable title for Mercier now.

BritishImperial said:
if we are to see war with britain, i cant wait.?

Hmmmm...... Britain will certainly be one of the Republic's enemy (at least that's what I have in mind). However, I have a question for you. If the Republic were to have an open conflict with Britain, which Great Power will Mercier certainly try to have as an ally (aside from Russia, if you're thinking this as an answer) to defeat the British?

.....................​

Sorry, folks. Yesterday's update was posted in a rush, so today I edited it a bit. No contents were removed. I just added something more about Rommel's report (along with an extra image).

Another update will be up by Saturday, please wait patiently for it! :cool:

Last edited:
gaiasabre11: ...Tchaikovsky .. died in 1893, four years earlier than the time of this AAR.

that is the beauty of writing: you can change history, and no one can complain ! ! :D

well, OK, they can complain at their own peril ! ! ;)

splendid updates ! ! :cool: