• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Wookiee

Inactive
87 Badges
Nov 29, 2004
  • Magicka 2
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • IPO Investor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
france_banner.png

1399_10_14_worldmap_political.png
1399_10_14_worldmap_france.png

A map of Europe and a map of our possessions (the dark blue-colored provinces in the second map are my vassals).

Hello and welcome to my second ever After Action Report (yes, second, I have an old abandoned Vicky AAR skeleton in my virtual closet :eek:o ). I will be playing France using the default settings with no mods installed. Plain old (ehr, new) In Nomine. My goals are to have fun and maybe, just maybe, dominate the world. Hope you enjoy :)

Chapters
Charles VI 'the Mad' (1399-1409)
I, II, III, IV, V, VI

Philippe VII (1409-1414)
VII, VIII

Charles VII (1414- )
IX, X, XI

Chapter I - An overview

1399setup_france.jpg

Our tale begins in the year of 1399. The Hundred Years' War, started in 1337 by two royal houses for control of the French throne. The HYW has seen a relatively quiet period since 1389 when a truce was signed. Only a few weeks ago, Richard II of England was succeeded by his cousin Henry IV following trouble in Ireland near the border with Scotland.

1399setup_court.jpg

In France, Charles VI 'the Mad' rules the country, albeit with great difficulty. At one time, he could not remember he was the King or who his wife was, and fled in horror from the castle. On the whole though, he is a capable administrator and diplomat. Despite panic attacks due to his mental illness, he is a capable military leader. The Court consists of Jean Charlier de Gerson, a Theologian, and Pierre d'Ailly, a Natural Scientist.

1399setup_economy.jpg

Our balanced economy. Our monthly income is the 2nd highest in the world.

1399setup_army.jpg

Our only military unit, Armée Royale, the Royal Army.

1399setup_leaders.jpg

Our only General, Jean II Le Meingre. Not bad, but not excellent.
1399setup_iledefrancecot.gif

The capital, Île-de-France, and its Center of Trade. We have four merchants in this CoT, and one in Antwerpen.

Last edited:
france_banner.png

Chapter II - A slow start

1399_10_14_cores.jpg

This here's France, and my rightful claims. My vassals control most of my core provinces, England and Burgundy hold the rest. But that will soon change, mwahahaha.

1399_10_14_income.jpg

Our income is second to... I was about to say none, but the monstrous GH blob is up there hogging the first place. I'm pretty sure they won't be able to hold onto that position for long... As you can see, our Trade Efficiency is mediocre and our Production Efficiency is utter shite. This is because we're decentralised (+3).

1399_10_14_slidermove.jpg

My first move is moving the slider towards centralisation, thus increasing our PE by 3%, our taxes by 3%. As a result, we also get a lower max war exhaustion (note to self: avoid long, costly wars) and reduced spy efficiency as well as spy defence.

1399_10_14_highjudge.jpg

For now I can only appoint one new advisor to the court, so I pick the best. That guy is going to come in handy in long, costly wars of expansion because he essentially negates 3% war exhaustion or nationalism :D

1399_10_14_charles_leader.jpg

Charles VI 'the Mad' is made a general. His stats are similar to our other General, Jean II Le Meingre, only Charles has 1 manuever instead of 3.

1399_10_14_recruitment.jpg

Next, I send one merchant to the CoT in Île-de-France and 3 to Antwerpen, where we already have a merchant in place. This leaves me with 166 ducats left to spend. 9 regiments won't be enough to subdue anyone, so I decide to recruit more cavalry and infantry. 5 cavalry and 8 infantry regiments are to be raised as soon as possible.

That's it for tonight. Join me next time, when I actually get something done :eek:

Last edited:
Pretty poor start storywise to be honest The Wookiee. I like the title though.

Qorten said:
Nice start, keep writing.
Thank you. You should have the 3rd chapter tomorrow evening.

Magic Man said:
Pretty poor start storywise to be honest The Wookiee. I like the title though.
I didn't plan to write a story, but to be honest I kind of rushed this first bit of my AAR. The next update will definitely feature more text.

Last edited:
The Wookiee said:
Thank you. You should have the 3rd chapter tomorrow evening.

I didn't plan to write a story, but to be honest I kind of rushed this first bit of my AAR. The next update will definately feature more text.

I prefer mostly gameplay and screen shots, so I'm greatly enjoying it so far. On top of that, France is my favorite nation to play in EU.

Excellent! A gameplay AAR of my favorite nation in EU3!

Looks good Wookie. Will follow.

Yup, another gameplay IN AAR to read while I really should be doing some work... ;)

I still cant get over the farking gorgeous colors! :eek:

The Wookiee said:
I didn't plan to write a story, but to be honest I kind of rushed this first bit of my AAR. The next update will definitely feature more text.
No! Please make this a gameplay AAR, so that I can learn IN before I buy it!

france_banner.png

Chapter III - Getting something done

EU3_2.jpg
EU3_4.jpg

First thing to pop up is our very first mission. This mission is great, because it means I don't suffer from the decentralisation penalty for diplo-annexing my vassal!

EU3_5.jpg

But I'll have to wait :(

EU3_3.jpg
EU3_6.jpg

French diplomats hard at work. A military alliance is formed in November, and a royal marriage arranged in January.

EU3_14.jpg

In the first months of the 15th century, England declares war on Connacht. Brittany answers the call to arms and joins the war against England and Portugal.

EU3_21.jpg

Meanwhile, the French economy is in the crapper. Having quadrupled the size of our army, we're forced to scrape the bottoms of the gold coffers to make it through to the year's end.

EU3_23.jpg
EU3_26.jpg

In October Navarra is forced to sign a humilating peace treaty with Aragon. They are is reduced to a mere duchy. I only wish I'd have guaranteed their independence from the get-go :( At the same time, Connacht is also reduced to a Duchy and made an English vassal.

EU3_35.jpg
EU3_40.jpg

French diplomats are dispatched to all corners of the world. Royal Marriages are arranged with Scotland and Castille. Gifts are sent to Lorraine, who in April 1401 gracefully accepts our offer to become a french vassal. In August, an alliance is formed with Castille, wich will come in handy in future wars against England and Aragon.

- continued in the next post -

Last edited:
france_banner.png

Chapter III - Getting something done (continued)

EU3_46.jpg
EU3_49.jpg

November 1401. With english troops busy elsewhere, Cosmopolitaine Patriots under the leadership of Joachim de Chevigny rise up in the province of Saintogne. Should they succeed, the province will defect to me and the rebel troops will be incorporated into the french army :D The siege is finally successful in May 1402. Joachim and his rebels decide to move against the English and Portugese troops currently besieging the capital of Brittany, Vendêe.

EU3_51.jpg
EU3_50.jpg

Days later, merchants come complaining. On behalf of the french aristocracy, I respectfully tell them to f*ck off. Savoy finally agrees to a royal marrage. Took me five attempts and two gifts. I intend to make them my vassal, mwahaha.

EU3_59.jpg
EU3_63.jpg

In September, things take a turn for the worse. England defeats the rebels in Vendêe and follow them back to Saintogne. They crush the rebellion once and for all, and lay siege to the province. When a rebel-controlled province is being besieged, it cannot defect :( But, this means Brittany can regain control of its capital. This opens up interesting possibilities, because Aragon is allied to Brittany. With Castille at my side, a war against Aragon, Brittany, Sicily and Navarra would surely be won easily. But October 27th our only General Jean II Le Meingre passes away, leaving us only with a madman in charge of our armed forces.

EU3_60.jpg
EU3_61.jpg

Our stability increases to +2, giving us more merchants. I make use of this to expand my trade in the very rich Center of Trade in Antwerpen, increasing our presence there to 4 merchants. Savoy enters an alliance with us. Relations are now at +180, a mere gift away from becoming my vassal.

EU3_64.jpg
EU3_65.jpg

In November 1402, an opportunity presents itself. Brittany has taken back its capital, and as far as I can see, none of its provinces are under siege. This is a golden opportunity to strike! November 3rd, 1402, word reached Brittany and Aragon that France & Castille had declared war on them. Ruh-roh.

EU3_68.jpg
EU3_67.jpg

I issue marching orders. 12 regiments under the command of Charles himself will lead the attack on Aragon, while 18 regiments divded into two armies will invade Brittany and then split up, to besiege all of their provinces at once. This will prevent Brittany from resisting my invasion, and will also cockblock the English. The timing is perfect. Brittany has been struggling to keep the English at bay, while Aragon has been struggling with a war against half the italian peninsula.

- continued in the next post -

Last edited:
france_banner.png

Chapter III - Getting something done (continued)

Only joking! This is the end of Chapter 3. Join me next time when I struggle to defeat two crippled nations, with the help of my powerful ally Castille.

Comments time!

Wombats O' War, spl, germanpeon: Thank you, glad you like it. I prefer mostly gameplay and screenshots AARs too :) France is an old favorite of mine. I once played France from EU2 to Victoria, it was great fun.

comagoosie, stnylan: Thank you :)

robou: The english are going down, trust me ;)

Rysz: I know the feeling :p

Ahura Mazda: Hope you like this third chapter. It has a bit more text, but is still mostly gameplay- and screenshots-oriented.

Last edited:
Lets hope the English arn't playing any tricks in Brittany. Apart from that, it looks to be a most profitable war. I see you are happy with the new revolt system for IN :)