• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shiggs

Slum Lord
34 Badges
May 29, 2007
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Version: Napoleons Ambition 2.1 (Chapters 1-10) and 2.2 (Chapters 11-?)
Faction: Hamburg
Settings: Everything on normal. Nothing free, 50 years for exploration.
House Rules: No cheating.
Goals: Become the dominant trading empire in Europe. Unite Germany and perhaps beyond.

222px-coat_of_arms_of_hamburg.png

Last edited:
Chapter 1: From Humble Beginnings

120px-flag_of_hamburg.png

The year is 1453, Doge Der Senate cautiously leads the tiny one province faction of Hamburg forward. They have been a Merchant Republic for some time now... This gives them tremendous benefits in the trading world, but has some negatives also.

- They get a 25% reduction of cost for sending out merchants! This is great news indeed.

- On the other hand, they cannot form Royal Marriages and they have less military capabilities than their neighbors. This is not good. They must find allies quickly.

- Not to mention, I've heard rumors they only generate a whopping 2.2 ducats a month. This is not nearly enough, surely they are doomed!!!

EU3_1.png

Checking the local advisor pool, Der Senate was disappointed to see that only an Artist was available for hire, and a faction so small as Hamburg would just be wasting ducats on such a hire. Undeterred, he sends out couriers to Luneburg and Bremen and hopes for the best.

EU3_2.png

Grave news indeed.... Well what about Denmark... they would be a fantastic ally.

EU3_3.png

Hmmm... Things are not looking well..... wait. Whats this? The leftover advisors from the latin tech group are looking for work in Hamburg!?!?

JUN1454.png

Ah this is fantastic... This is almost unheard of! Excellent news for the floundering nation of Hamburg. Still even with all of these traders, Hamburg cannot properly protect its borders.... Latin Knights must be recruited with haste!

Only through a shrewd practice of diplomacy does Hamburg avoid early war. Giving military access to all of its close neighbors so they are less likely to do so, and will take a big stability hit, if they declare war anyways.

(1 year later....)

Arch Bishop Otto III has offered Hamburg an alliance.... and yes they shall take it, because nobody else would ally with them... What a cruel world.

EU3_4.png

Last edited:
(Chapter 1 continued)

While building some, very loose at best alliances, Hamburg has also managed to establish merchants in a few Centers of Trade (CoT), finished the training of Latin Knights, built up a small economy, and forged some new ideas on how the nation will continue forward..

EU3_7.png

APR1455.png

You can hear the cheers from Hamburgians for miles..... they have also just achieved the maximum stability level (giving them 3 merchants per year), joined the Hanseatic League, and have continued to expand their trading empire. *applause*

EU3_8.png

Next, to the surprise of everyone, Brandenburg makes a proclamation guaranteeing Hamburgs' independence.

OCT1457.png

This is excellent news for the court of Hamburg. Hamburgians no longer live in fear from the murderous Burdungy or Denmark..... Well.... at least not as much. These alliances tempt Doge Der Senate into a more ambitious approach to trade, continuing their investments in trade tech, and using every available ducat to dispatch merchants.

(some time later...)

It seems Hamburgs "no nonsense" diplomacy is starting to pay off. Luneburg and Mecklenburg have offered them an alliance . Moral throughout the community is rising and the citizens of Hamburg rejoice.

SEPT1459.png

Also due to growing threats around the realm, Doge Der Senate has continued to order the training of more regiments of Latin Knights, further securing their borders and quelling doubt that this tiny one province faction can survive.

EU3_17.png

Next, Der Senate gets news that the nations serfs have been properly exploited, furthering the nations wealth.

EU3_18.png

SEPT1460.png

EU3_20.png

And then as his first vision for Hamburg is nearing fulfillment (create a great trading nation), Doge Der Senate finally passed at a ripe old age, leaving behind a growing faction, well organized and confident from his grand leadership.

APR1463.png

A young lad by the name of Erwin Backer has risen to the throne; he and the nation of Hamburg have truly been blessed.​

Last edited:
I am going to like this aar, I always love German or Europeon aars.

Looks good! The first faction I ever tried was Hamburg and I did not find it easy. Good luck.

Chapter 2: The Audacity of Erwin Backer

Chapter 2: The Audacity of Erwin Backer

Erwin Backer was from a humble background, yet he rose to power ever so quickly through shrewd diplomacy and unmatched negotiating skills.... Earning the trust of the aforementioned Doge Der Senate, he was appointed Councilor of the Treasury, at an unheard of age of 15. After years of service, as the Doge was nearing old age, he appointed Erwin Backer Heir Apparent, to transfer power to him, once the beloved Doge was gone.

This background gave him great abilities on the worldly stage. Charismatic and diligent, the world would soon hear of young Erwin Backer. But... within one month of leadership, Doge Erwin Backer has done the unthinkable.....

He reforms the government type to a Feudal Monarchy, proclaiming himself and his descendants the rightful rulers of Hamburg. Through his help, after all, the country had been thriving with trade and advancing technologies. He also quickly establishes royal marriages with several rival factions.

EU3_21.png

As King Erwin Backer's next administrative edict, he ordered the firing of Gutierre de Guzman, under suspicion of spying. In his stead, he appointed Siegmund Vieregg as an Artist for the court of Hamburg. This will help quell the non-conformist while he secures power over his feudal subjects.

EU3_22.png

JAN1464.png

King Erwin has continued prosperity and trade growth for the nation greatly... He has also forged many strong bonds with our neighbors and the magnum opus of this is our new guaranteed survival, from Austria.

EU3_25.png

Then almost as quickly as he rose, he dies suspiciously quiet in the night, decades premature, leaving his country vulnerable and in question.

EU3_26.png

Konrad I, Erwin's nephew arises to the throne, ready and enthusiastic to take on his new responsibilities. He and Hamburg have truly been blessed

Last edited:
Chapter 3: A Burgeoning Nation

Chapter 3: A Burgeoning Nation

Konrad has inherited a developing nation, growing richer and more powerful year by year. He as it turns out, is destined to bring Hamburg to a new level of greatness. Not a mere farce of a nation forever more. His skills in all area's have been fine tuned by a myriad of councilors and advisors, as well as invaluable knowledge passed on from his uncle Erwin.

Through a carefully developed plan, King Konrad has begun administering ruthless diplomacy tactics, both bribing and insulting many factions. His hidden agendas are not yet known, but his tactics will soon prove extravagant. His first official edict as King, is to announce his new vassal, Luneburg.

EU3_27.png

His next move was to utilize the technology the previous regime had provided him with, and ordered the construction of a workshop in Hamburg.

EU3_31.png

King Konrad also had the pleasure of seeing former Doge Der Senate's idea completely realized, and the country absolutely flourishing compared to that of Der Senates days as Doge. Hamburg now has all available markets packed with our merchants, excluding Alexandria, which is not worth the trouble.

JAN1472.png

EU3_32.png

After admiring his empire and continuing ongoing negotiations with rival factions, Konrad receives some dreadful news from his spies.....

"After being fired and accused of treason, the treasonous Gutierre de Guzman had defected to Bremen and was giving them inside information of our realm, eventually leading to the poisoning and death of King Erwin."

Konrad is very displeased upon learning this, but he doesn't want to blow his spies' cover. He also realizes that declaring war outright on a nation with guarantees and other alliances would be suicide. He sends a couple insults, and ends the Hamburg/Bremen alliance that had lasted nearly 25 years. Upon doing so, his spies cover has been broken. This method of diplomacy looks like a complete disaster.

EU3_33.png

Then in a somewhat strange maneuver he offers Bremen a loan and they graciously accept.

EU3_34.png

Shorty after, King Konrad is interrupted with horrible news. "Hughes de Coligny, the Minister of Trading, has been assassinated". Konrad is irate, and feels like something must be done. Then.... another massive insult to Hamburg.

EU3_39.png

EU3_36.png

"That is it!!! Bremen can no longer be tolerated, no matter whom their allies may be. This is war!"

EU3_38.png

In a pit of rage, King Konrad declares war on the Bremen/Munster alliance and his allies quickly follow suit. Unfortunately, Brandenburg and Austria were both guaranteeing their independence... Hamburg, Mecklenburg and Luneburg are now at war with them and their allies now as well.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: A Burgeoning Nation (continued)

Oh..... my........

What a ballsy move that was....

Undeterred, King Konrad joins his main army and marches on Bremen.

EU3_40.png

Shortly thereafter, Hamburgs armies are victorious and demand the complete annexation of Bremen, and they accept. King Konrad quickly realizes that he is over matched in his new enemies of Austria and Brandenburg. Estimated allied forces are 16,000, and estimated enemy forces are 45,000+. Konrad takes a loan and hires nearly 10,000 mercenary forces.

EU3_41.png

It appears it was not nearly enough. King Konrad is scrambling for couriers, prepared for the worst, offering white peace deals and even tribute, but to no avail. He realizes that Munster has assumed leadership in the war, and focuses on them. His mercenaries have been routed, and his army forced to flee into Munster whom he is now sieging, trying to make something out of an assumed loss.

Konrad quickly realizes if this doesn't end soon, Hamburg could be annihilated. He negotiates peace with Brandenburg; Mecklenburg will cede Mecklenburg. Oh well, this doesn't concern Konrad or Hamburg much. Mecklenburg's armies are still standing, helping Hamburg thwart the Austrian alliance. Then the sieges become extraordinarily intense, blockading from both land and sea, with another amphibious assault. This must end now.

EU3_42.png

After many futile attempts at peace, the Hamburgian Alliance has made peace with Austria.... Hamburg will cease to have a vassal deal with Luneburg and pay Austria 50 ducats.

Well, that wasn't all that bad. Now, King Konrad can focus on Munster and hopefully resolve this without much damage.

EU3_43.png

After a very exciting set of battles and sieges, Hamburg remains, nearly unscathed, and with a new vassal. Whew, that was close..!

EU3_5.png

Last edited:
Chapter 3: A Burgeoning Nation (continued)

(Some years later...)

King Konrad has learned from his mistakes, and is confident what doesn't kill Hamburg will make it stronger. He has changed his diplomacy tactics slightly, being a little more conservative, yet concise. Soon it pays off.

EU3_6.png

EU3_27.png

Then Hamburg gets a proposition asking to ally with the Teutonic Order, King Konrad accepts, and is content that Hamburg is safe again.

EU3_11.png

Soon after Konrad hears news that a Army Reformer by the name of Jeremias Engel has arrived in Hamburg, searching for work. He graciously invites him in for tea, and hires him.

EU3_12.png

Konrad was very pleased with the way the last few years have went. Just when he was thinking this was too good to be true, he was pinched and awoke from this bliss.

EU3_16.png

This is dreadful news indeed. "There is no way Hamburg can fight a direct land war with Burgundy and Lorraine.... that would be suicide". Still a bit in shock from the last war, Konrad declines the invitation for doom, and leaves Munster at the will of Burgundy.....

Literally days after this tragic occurrence, Hamburgs court is once again reminded of how truly blessed they have been. England wants us as an ally.

EU3_14.png

Hamburg now has 2 vassals and 2 non-vassal allies, in Mecklenburg, Luneburg, Teutonic Order, and England. This is not a bad start for tiny Hamburg.

A few months later, after leading a long and successful campaign, King Konrad I, is dead. It has been announced that his son, Friedrich has assumed the throne.

EU3_19.png

Last edited:
thanks

t0m, mad general, Capibara, germanpeon, and Mannisks - thanks for checking in... without other people out there, I definitely would not be doing this, although it is fun.

germanpeon - actually my first try at Eu3 was with Hamburg also.... I failed miserably... that was long ago...hopefully I'll do better this time, I certainly have had a better start than last time.

Mannisks - I would assume so... I don't really know... I'm from Indiana, USA, and don't speak a lick of German.

Last edited:
Very nice progress! Youve certainly set yourself up nicely for the future with your vassals.

Shiggs said:
Mannisks - I would assume so... I don't really know... I'm from Indiana, USA, and don't speak a lick of German.
Oh, I see. I don't know too much German myself, but I think "Der Senate" means "the senate" in German.

Nice AAR btw, Hamburg is an interesting faction.

Great aar, in my Austrian game going on nnow almost every german state is allied withm eachoter! I am about to invade poland with russia and it is 1600.Any way stop them from allying

Very enjoyable AAR :cool:

Der Senat would be the senate, I think. I'm only 15 and live in Finland but I'm sure it must be so.

The tittle is actually odd but it is easily understood. ;)

I already want to read the next chapter :rofl:

germanpeon, Mannisks, mad general, and Enewald, thanks for the encouraging words... I'll try to continue with Friedrich's legacy soon.

About the title.... As I understand it, "Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg" means "Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg." I'm not completely sure though... I couldn't think of anything else catchy and relevant so I just used that.

I think it would be even catchier to remove the 'und'. Or it could be "Freie und hansisch stadt Hamburg" which I think, and according to my wörterlexikon, would translate to "Free and hanseatic city Hamburg". But it's still missing a genitive, there, isn't it? Bahg, where are all the Germans when you need them? Lurking in the Deutsches Forum, reading 100% correctly written German AARs?