• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thifiell

Sergeant
41 Badges
Jul 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi
I have played my old game with recently bought DLC ideria but it was incredible luggy. SO I thought ok, old games do not work, created a new game with Spanish guy, and I saw almost the same lugs! quite impossible to play, freezes every 10-15 seconds during 2-3 seconds.

VUmzq32.gif
to the Tech Support subforum.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log
I did a clean reinstall. A bit better but still freezes as hell :(

Here is a video of my feezes after reinstall:

What are your specs
INTEL Core i5-9600K @ 4,6 GHz (6 Kerne/6 Threads)
Arbeitsspeicher: 32GB DDR4 RAM
Grafikkarte(n): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 OC
SSD: 500GB SSD
HDD: 3TB HDD

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    4,8 KB · Views: 0
  • setup.log
    1,7 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    673 bytes · Views: 0
And here some files from the folder before deleting and reinstalling CK3 (error file has much more info)

And DX Diag file

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    4,8 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    869 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    2,8 MB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    95,1 KB · Views: 0
Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, refresh rate 60.

Is that any better?

Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, refresh rate 60.

Is that any better?
No, nothing has changed. Lugging right from the start menu.

That is odd. In Task Manager - Performance do you see CPU, GPU or memory maxing out?

Please attach new copies of those text and log files, thanks.

Suddenly the problem is gone. It is weird, because yesterday after reinstall I had issues, but maybe during night patch was installed or something, but now all works smoothly! Very weird thing...
All is working incredibly perfect, no freezes or lugs. I think your developpers did something because nothing has changed from my side.

Last edited:
Also the game is starting very long, like 2-3 minutes. CPU 100%!
That's normal.

Suddenly the problem is gone. It is weird, because yesterday after reinstall I had issues, but maybe during night patch was installed or something, but now all works smoothly! Very weird thing...
All is working incredibly perfect, no freezes or lugs. I think your developpers did something because nothing has changed from my side.
Nothing was changed overnight here. I have seen problems like that when Windows was downloading or installing a massive update, have you seen anything like that happen?

I don't know then!

Lugs again have appeared... This time game stars very fast and have lugs.
So I restarted computer, this time game starts very slowly, you said it is normal, then no lugs again. Seems the game accumulates something that creates lugs with time. I think it is fine, just wanted to inform you. I will write if something will be really serious like on video.

Last edited:
Hello, did you fix your problem or still not? I'm asking because I am facing probably the same problems :-(
Playing late game, I rule half of the known world, but approximately a week ago my game started to lag/freeze = first it runs normally, but after some time, it completely freezes and after e.g. 1 minute, it continuos playing as nothing happened. Then it happens again in few minutes. Plus the game starts to be a bit slower/laggy in general. Then I get into the point where the game freezes again and it takes e.g. 4 minutes before it goes again. Btw. meanwhile it is frozen/autopaused, I can scroll on map, check characters, anything, but the actions and decisions I make, or pop up ingame messages will appear always after the freeze ends. Then games become quite unplayable = 5 minutes playing, 4 minutes of freeze, over and over.

Before a week ago, I didn't have these problems at all. Even in past, I already ruled whole CK3 world and there were no lags, no freeze, everything running great on highest details. I also played Iberian Struggle in other previous game recently and I didn't have these problems (but I didn't control half of known world yet).

I tried install new graphic card drivers, reinstall CK3 + follow all the steps written above in this topic by AndrewT. Then I also changed game graphic to medium. In WIN10 I see that my memory is on 80% when I play CK3 (all other programs closed).

This is my PC setup, but as I told you: a week ago, maximally 2 weeks ago, these lags didn't exist :-(

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM 8,00 GB
Radeon RX 570 Series
WIN10

Thank you for any tips.

Playing late game, I rule half of the known world
If you check the Bug Reports forum I think you'll see other reports of this in that circumstance, I suspect the game simply cannot cope with empires that large.

Please add your details to any thread you find on that, or start your own new one if you wish.

Sorry for that problem!