• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well this is a tragedy and a half. How do the UN Zones work? Are they any different from regular countries? Is it possible to lead a new power to conquer the world under Jimmy Carter's benevolent reign?

Good update!

A bit sad you didn't include in game 'El Qamisli' in Kurdistan (corresponding to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rojava) though.
I'm quite sure the dev put that province on the map for that purpose!

I guess Kurds were unable to defend it in that universe? But they have captured Mosul on the other side, so it's kinda mixed situation that probably depends mostly on military luck.

It would be also hilarious if Jimmy Carter would really go for world conquest with that UN entity as suggested by Duke of Awesome. :D

Wow this is some prime AAR right here. I am left wondering what happened to Putin in Georgia, as well I am curious about the Islamic insurgency's in Chechnya, the situation in Western China, Djibouti/Eritrea/Ethiopia, Azerbaijan/Georgia and finally what Islamists in Africa think about all this.

To: Bill1993: I like the NOD comparison! One of the reasons I find IRL ISIS so interesting to observe is how similar they are to videogame, book, or movie villains. Its like you couldn't write an enemy more evil than they are, which is crazy when you think about it.

To: Ticket Cookie: You could probably consider that border between ISL and Kurdistan not to be permanent, more like a contested region, with cross border raids by ISL and guerrilla attacks by Kurdish partisans or something like that. I wouldn't expect either ISL or Kurdistan to just settle with their current boundaries, as I have ideas as to what they will be doing while the rest of the world is busy waging WW3.

To: Socdemparty: Yup, I put Khaled al Assad from CoD4 into ISL's files. I have put all sorts of little easter eggs for other countries in this scenario, and he is not the only CoD character that I put in!

To: Duke of Awesome: Basically the UN administered territories are regions that are under direct United Nations control, with an administration approved by the UN that acts effectively as its own government, with alot of the same authority as an actual country (minus the ultimate forms of state authority like the ability to declare war on another country though). The idea comes from real life situations in which the UN was given authority over some countries, like Cambodia from 1992-1993. The vast majority of the administration would be done by international personnel, with an army and security forces made up of UN peacekeepers, while the lower level civil services may be undertaken by a mix of international and local personnel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territories_governed_by_the_United_Nations

To: Asalto: Maybe I can make that into a spinoff or something? Call it "World War 4: Jimmy's Revenge!", and have the first target of his wrath be the Iranian rump state so he can get back at them for that whole hostage crisis thing. :D

To: baboushreturns: You will see very soon how the Georgian conflict went. As for the other conflicts you mentioned, at this point in TTL, the War on Terror will basically fizzle out. Some of those conflicts, like the ones in East Africa may still continue, but with far less intensity than they have IRL. With many source countries for money and weapons having been wiped from the picture and the conflicts that drove those insurgencies largely settled many of those regions would greatly quiet down. Afghanistan in this scenario has become much more secure with the Taliban's support from sources in Pakistan gone, and thus by 2008 the Taliban is pretty much extinct. Same goes for the Uighur separatists in China, as well as the Chechen separatist movement which won't fair well with supporters in the Middle East either dead or scattered to the winds, not to mention that as you will see, their Russian opponents are about to get quite a ways stronger....ISL though is the main exception to all that however, and they won't be entirely out of the picture in the future.

To: everyone: Thanks for your comments!

The Long Road to World War: Part 6
The nuclear devastation of the Middle East would have a huge variety of repercussions in many parts of the globe. First, the devastation and enormous ecological, humanitarian, and economic impacts of yet another nuclear war forced the world's last nuclear weapons states to scrap their remaining stockpiles of weapons, even as geopolitical tensions in other areas rose in the lead up to the beginning of World War 3 in 2014. Russia and the United States destroyed their few remaining arsenals, with even the most hawkish figures being convinced to get rid of them by witnessing the chaos that such evil weapons had brought to the world. China quickly followed suit, and even North Korea, arguably the international community's greatest pariah state, was forced to get rid of its atomic program and prototype weapons due to immense Russian and Chinese pressure. A future UN resolution even outlawed the possession of nuclear weaponry, giving all states the authority to invade and disarm any country that dared try to develop them if there was enough evidence of an active nuclear weapons program. The last known nuclear weapon was deactivated in March 2009, and the world at least could celebrate the end of nuclear warfare.
daily_issue_image_2010_10_26_nw_20101025_1015.jpg

The last of Russia's nuclear missiles being dismantled, China, the United States, and even North Korea followed through with treaties signed after the 2008 War in the Middle East to ban all the world's remaining nuclear weapons

The world didn't have much time for celebrating the banning of all nuclear weapons though, as many states had a much more pressing concern to deal with: an enormous economic depression, brought about by the immense spike of oil prices which combined with problems in the world financial sector brought many of the world's industrialized economies to the brink of ruin. To various degree's, nearly every country on earth was affected, with the hardest hit areas being Europe, China, and the United States. In Europe, the enormous cost of oil combined with government austerity measures to try and control the depression ruined the lives of millions of people, and damaged nearly every economy in Europe, with the hardest hit being Europe's southern states like Greece, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. This resulted not only in a great rise of anti-EU sentiment (which would be exploited later by the Russian's when WW3 broke out to various effects) but also in major cutbacks in military spending, even amongst some of Europe's strongest countries.
d0c0c7444c344fc69ced334326f2df1c_18.jpg

Demonstrations in many parts of Europe took place in response to what seemed to be a muddled EU response to the economic panic caused by the financial and oil crises

The United States was hit very hard by the economic depression, but unlike Europe was able to handle it to much greater effect. The crash of Wall Street and enormous oil prices forced the Bush and after November 2008 the Obama administrations to step up US government intervention in the economy on an unprecedented scale not seen since Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal of the 1930's. The US government stepped in to help prop up the American industrial sector and small businesses, and managed to save some of the big Wall Street corporations while also severely punishing major corporate figures who were found to be liable for the non-oil related aspects of the economic crisis. What seemed like a purge of corrupt elements of Wall Street followed as major demands were made of the financial sector to end high risk activities, which in the end allowed some of the biggest financial names in the American economy to begin to recover by the time war broke out several years later.
640px_NYSE127.jpg

By the time that World War 3 had broken out, the US economy, although wounded, had been recovering steadily, including in its manufacturing and financial sectors

To tackle the oil crisis that had resulted from the destruction of the Middle East's oil export capacity, the United States turned to its own domestic oil production and that of its allies for relief. The US government invested extremely into increasing American oil production, as well as importing oil from non-Middle East sources like Canada, Mexico, Nigeria, and others, efforts that soon began to pay off. In places like West Texas or North Dakota, oil companies (many of which with generous government investments) greatly expanded oil production infrastructure with new wells and extraction methods, while pipelines to Canada couldn't be built fast enough. Despite some environmental protests, notably from President Obama's new Secretary of Agriculture Vincent Harling, American oil production continued and by the time WW3 had broken out the US was almost completely energy independent, something that greatly softened the impact of the 2008 economic depression and even put the country on track to its pre-2008 economic growth rates by 2020, before the outbreak of war put such projections on hold indefinitely.
MK_CN366_NEWCRU_G_20140624180906.jpg

Bakken_oil_fields.jpg

New sources of oil imports as well as an accelerated boom in domestic US production helped the US economy in its recovery, and stabilized the situation for many millions of Americans who were hurting deeply due to enormous oil prices.

Although Europe was hit hard and the US was staggered, the most strongly impacted country in the 2008 economic crisis was China. Chinese government intervention into the economy was not enough to straighten out the country's shaky economic foundations, as the shock of extreme oil prices burst an already rapidly growing real estate bubble which was compounded with a sharp drop of exports due to the retraction of the European and American markets. Hundreds of Thousands of Chinese workers suddenly found themselves with worthless homes, high food prices, and no jobs as China's economy went into a tailspin. By October of 2008, conditions had gotten so bad that the country looked ripe for revolution, with many predicting the final end of Communist Party rule.
Protesters_march_in_anti_008.jpg

Demonstrations in China over its crashing economy drove the ruling Communist Party into a panic, and eventually resulted in the "Palace Coup" that removed the old leaders from power.

Instead, what happened was a major change in the top leadership of the Communist Party. With conditions on the streets getting extremely hard to control, an internal revolution took place within the party, as the older generations of leadership were overthrown by elements of the military and the CPC's younger, more technocratic membership. The leaders of the old order were arrested or fled into exile, and a new Chinese regime took power, with top members of the military at its head and the new generation of CPC technocrats taking control of most areas of the government. This change of leadership was enough to get most of the protests to settle down, while the remainder were put down by a mix of co-opting protest leaders into the new regime and military suppression for ones who did not comply. The new Chinese regime had managed to stabilize the country and its economy, and secure its grip on power, but the threat of revolution always hung over the heads of China's new leadership due to lots of promises of changes. This new government's sense of insecurity would ultimately be one of the major catalysts to the outbreak of war in the years to come...
par_IVLS.jpg

Tanks begin moving onto the streets, the start of the military's deployment to aid overstretched police forces in containing the protests
new_chinese_leaders.png

China's new President and Premier after the old CPC leadership was removed from power, the Military took control of both portfolio's as well as the defense ministry and foreign affairs, while the younger technocrats were given administration over internal matters.
Chang_TV_Speech.png

The new Premier, Chang Wei (a former Admiral in the People's Liberation Army's Navy) announcing the temporary imposition of Martial Law which successfully stamped out the last protests.

Finally, as with all things economic, there were major winners in the 2008 crash. With the Middle East gone as the world's prime oil producer, any country that could export oil became extremely rich. Norway, Canada, Venezuela, Angola, Nigeria, Libya, and most importantly, Russia, suddenly became the globe's new energy powerhouses. Russia especially benefited from the new order in the oil market, as it found itself the prime exporter of oil not only to Europe, but to a desperate China which badly needed new sources of oil. With the price high and most of the market to itself, Russia's economy took off on an unprecedented scale, by the time WW3 broke out Russia's standard of living was starting to match that of countries like France or Germany, something that quickly began to be translated into geopolitical and military power not seen since the days of the old Soviet Union. Russia soon became a superpower again, a force to be reckoned with on the world stage thanks to trillions of dollars worth of oil revenues.
Moscow_city.jpg

Moscow's new Financial District, a symbol of the country's rise as the world's main energy supplier and its new found superpower status.

After the new rise of Russia and the new regime in China helped change the balance of world power, developments in both countries and in their immediate neighborhoods would set the world on a crash course to a devastating new war, which would eventually test the strength of the United States in a way it had never before seen in its history.

Well, that took a long time to write, although I am not sure if I am happy enough with it. I may edit this later if I feel like I left out something really important.

Reactions:
It looks like most of major players like USA, China and Russia have managed to wind trough the worst and did actually even improve things in some way. China with help of brute force when the Mandate of Heaven passed on, Russia flourishes with high oil prices while Obama is actually doing pretty good job in USA. As for Europe, we kinda seem to be lost as always...and when austerity measures are imposed, you can always know the end is near.

At first i want to say its great AAR and my best wishes to author
2nd-last time im have played MDS mod 2 years ago.Whats wrong with North Korean industry?Is that mod mechanic or what?Its a huge

Brilliant narrative! Have certainly enjoyed the read my good man! I can now see why this itself would end up leading to a joint Russian/Chinese invasion of America considering the world is now nuclear free. When it comes to Europe, I suspect with the overflow of immigrants fleeing destitute areas like the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent, this along with a major depression I could see lead to a mass vote for national conservative parties in Europe, all under the guiding hand of Russia of course. Hence Farage and the puppet state of the UK. :D

Look forward to reading more!

Moscow looks like Vegas or Dubai,still why would Russia go to war with the USA?Wars are usually fought for money or resources and Russia has plentu of both in peace.A war
could be disruptive.

Moscow looks like Vegas or Dubai,still why would Russia go to war with the USA?Wars are usually fought for money or resources and Russia has plentu of both in peace.A war
could be disruptive.

Presumably Russia wants to keep US oil from knocking them off this pedestal they have climbed on.

Great aar! Subbed!

isl_cabinet.png

ISL's top leadership by March of 2015, led by its mysterious leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who has surrounded himself with similar jihadists as well as old members of the Syrian and Iraqi Baath Parties, which help the terror group in administration of its current lands.

Oh holy crap, this is getting great and hilarious! The GLA is here! I noticed also earlier that Shin Fai is part of the Pacific Occupation Forces. And isn't that Xaio Ri from the cancelled Generals 2? You really should just make their names back to their Generals ones, Dr Thrax as Armaments Minister, rofl

(also, Kaiser, Kane is the ultimate good guy, and you know it. Kane lives in death!)

(hey, don't I remember you from Derelict Studios?)

Last edited:
(hey, don't I remember you from Derelict Studios?)

Blitzkrieg: TFH fans, unite! Loved the Axis Campaign n the latest version, especially the first mission! :D
Shame the Allies didn't get as many missions... :(

Kaiser_Mobius: got a lot of love for this AAR! Very enjoyable!
I really wonder how Hungary got Transylvania and Ruthenia back, but not Southern Slovakia. Can't wait for the Europe update!

Yes! DS will return one day! We will return from the darkness EALA cast us in!

I knew Feursturm, the guy who co-did the giant apocalyptic Democracy's Last Stand AAR from there before I even played Pdox games. Go figure. God was that depressing and inspiring to read.

AR2 will return, AR2 must return

Now I'm curious about what happened to the Russian left. Nemtsov etc.

Making an educated guess I'd say sistematic defamation, followed by media blackout and then eventually Siberia when WW3 starded

To: Ericafaq: That North Korean industry isn't technically theirs..... :D

To: Ksim3000: That could possibly be a factor. I imagine that there are a lot of people from Pakistan, India, and the Middle East living abroad by now.

To: Bill1993: Who says it was the Russian's that start the war....

To:Baboushreturns: probably nothing good...

To: IconofEvil: Hehe, I am afraid that having names like "Dr.Thrax, Prince Kassad, or General Deathstrike" is kinda way too cheesy for my taste. I just went into a random word generator and made them some random Arabic names. And yes, that is Xiao Ri from the cancelled Generals 2, I stumbled upon him while looking for fictional Chinese personalities I could utilize for the AAR, since I don't really want to use alot of RL figures. (I hadn't even heard of any characters for that game before I started looking around, I found quite a few that you will see making some cameo's in this AAR). And for those who do not know, Chang Wei is the villain from the story mode of Battlefield 4, figured he would fit quite nicely in this role!

And Derelict Studios, it has been many years since I was there. ;) The world is indeed a small place, and it appears the Internet can be an even smaller one! Welcome aboard.

to: Nemesszilli: You shall see, Hungary gets some very preferential treatment from their new Russian friends after the dust in Europe settles, as well as several other European states!

To: Everybody: Thanks for the comments!

Beijing, Peoples Republic of China, March 2009
Xiao Ri, the new General Secretary of the Communist Party, General of the Peoples Liberation Army, and the 7th President of the Peoples Republic of China, stood alongside the runway of Beijing Capital International airport. He was waiting patiently, alongside his group of fellow ministers, officials, advisers, and the ceremonial honour guard of the PLA, for his very special guest to arrive. Xiao was eager to meet his counterpart, and reach an agreement that he believed would usher in a new era of prosperity and strength for not only his country but for all those around it...whether they liked it or not. He was still somewhat unsure whether or not his honoured guest would accept what he was about to propose, but as that line in that famous old American movie goes, he would "Make an offer he cannot refuse"

"My Chairman", said one of Xiao's aides, "I can see his plane coming in for landing now." "Thank you, make sure that the band is ready to begin playing the anthems as soon as our guest sets foot on the red carpet. I want this to go off without any hitch." "Yes my Chairman" Xiao's aide stated as he bowed and stepped aside. After several moments, the plane touched down and taxied into place. The steps were wheeled to the door and his guest disembarked.
131184839_4201n.jpg

Right on que, the anthems of both nations began to play one after the other, as several greeting ladies approached with flowers and gifts to welcome Russian President Vladimir Putin to China. President's Putin and Xiao greeted each other at the end of the red carpet, and shook hands. "Vladimir, it is my utmost pleasure to welcome you to the Peoples Republic of China!" "My thanks for your invitation Xiao, I am very pleased to find that your great country is still doing so well, despite all that...unpleasantness." Xiao had kind of wished that Putin had not mentioned what it had taken for him to ascend to the top ranks of China's political hierarchy, he still feared for his image within the party and the country's people due to the circumstances, despite all the success his new government had in squashing the protest movements, he still couldn't shake that feeling that he was not the legitimate head of the country. Still, he had to maintain his composure. "Whats done is done, I can't dwell on the past, my only concern is for the well being of my people now and into the future, and I believe that with your help we can achieve that and more. But that we can discuss later this evening, I believe we have some public appearances to make!" Xiao and Putin walked with their respective entourages towards the awaiting motorcade, adorned with Chinese and Russian flags, to continue the itinerary of the event.

Several Hours Later, at the Zhongnanhai compound, Beijing
640px_Xinhua_Gate.jpg

"Vladimir, I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my country so far?" Xiao asked. The formalities and public relations parts of the visit had ended, and now the Chinese and Russian president's were alone in the ornately decorated meeting room of the compound, where China's leaders had for years discussed the most sensitive of topics in secret with their equivalents from around the world. Years ago, Chairman Mao and US President Nixon had met in this very room, and helped to finalize an agreement that changed China and the world forever, formalizing relations with the Americans, tilting the worlds' balance of power in the Cold War, and setting the stage for China's later economic triumph, which had only really slowed down after the Great Middle East War had finally ended. Now, Xiao was hoping to forge a new agreement, with a different President, one which would change the world in a far greater way than Mao's meeting with Nixon ever had.

"Of course Xiao! the hospitality and friendliness of your people never ceases to amaze me. It has been fantastic to finally get out of Moscow for a bit, I feel like I have been stuck dealing with matters in the Kremlin forever, especially ever since the Arabs and Iranians decided to incinerate each other, while we had that nasty little spat with Georgia." Xiao had almost forgotten about that conflict, then again, Russia's invasion and occupation of all of Georgia had pretty much flown over the heads of most of the international community, not only because it had ended so fast, but because so many of the world's eyes were glued on the images on their televisions and internet sites of the mushroom clouds rising over the ruins of the Middle East.
2746704480_37a1fd8119.jpg

While the Middle East reduced itself to atomic rubble, a Georgian artillery bombardment and invasion of the small breakaway republic of South Ossetia resulted in a brief Russian-Georgian war, the Russian Army responded highly rapidly, thanks to advancements in Russia's logistical capacity due to funds freed up from the much reduced nuclear weapons force. Within days Georgia's Army was on the run and hounded by Russian aircraft and ground forces.

"Yes Vladimir, I imagine that must not have been pleasant, then again, I imagine you must have been very happy at the end of it with how your army performed in that war. I guess the American's had truly done you a favour by helping you demolish all those expensive nuclear weapons." "indeed, our defense budget saved so much money in the years since 2002 that we were able to funnel it towards the well being of our regular armed forces, how else could we have managed to overrun all of Georgia in only a week? I still laugh at that picture from the Battle of Tbilisi, of our VDV troops posing with that mad President of theirs, he talked so tough for the cameras, but turned out to be so puny. I don't miss him." Putin chuckled at the end of that thought.
occupied_georgia.png

Georgia's Army quickly fell apart under the repeated hammerblows of the Russian Airforce and elite VDV and Spetznaz airmobile units, the spearhead of the Russian force that invaded and occupied Georgia. Tbilisi was very quickly occupied and the country surrendered. Today, Abkhazia and South Ossetia are integrated into the Russian Federation, while the rest of Georgia is formally still under military occupation.

"I remember that picture too, if only my own army had something like that to show to the people, maybe my government would be as popular as yours became! Oh! Before I forget, my congratulations on your recent success with the Kazakhs and Belarussians, I am still amazed they both came running back into Russia's borders so quickly, but I guess the temptation of all of that huge oil money was just too much to ignore." "It wasn't so easy Xiao", Putin responded with humility, "it took quite alot of convincing, but offering their people all those social benefits, infrastructure projects, and giving Lukashenko and Nazarbayev enough treats to keep them on board was tough. It was hard to replace Lavrov with Lukashenko as my foreign minister, I really liked working with him, but I hear he is quite happy on that new Dacha he built in Sochi with his severance pay." "indeed it must have been difficult" Xiao responded, "but myself and my government were pleased that it worked out, a strong Russia is in our interest as well as yours, and that is the main topic I want to discuss with you today."
Eurasian_Economic_Union_Treaty.jpg

Presidents Vladimir Putin (Russia), Alexander Lukashenko (Belarus), and Nursultan Nazarbayev (Kazakhstan) at the signing of the Eurasian Union State Treaty in December, 2008. Russia's rapidly growing economy attracted both Belarus and Kazakhstan into seeking much closer links with Russia. Russia managed to offer enough to both governments to bring them on board for full Federal union with Russia.
lukashenko_and_nazarbayev.png

The former presidents of Belarus and Kazakhstan were given very high ranking positions in Russia's government after the treaty.

Eurasian_Union.jpg

Russia's new borders after the signing of the Eurasian Union State Treaty. Despite loud protests from the West, Russia's new expansion was grudgingly accepted.

"Please, go on." Putin responded. "Vladimir, how long do you believe it will all last?" Xiao began. "When all the oil money dries up, when the people start thinking about such petty things like voting or free speech, what will happen to us then? This happened already to your own country, the Soviet Union, so mighty, so powerful, couldn't survive the encirclement of the West or the prodding from within that eventually brought it down, and put your country into the dark ages for a decade." Putin looked genuinely shaken by that memory Xiao thought, as he was sure many from his country were. "This almost happened to us just a few months ago, before myself and my friends in the bureaucracy and the military took over and set things right. We were right at the edge of anarchy, of a fate where China would be reduced to a broken little puppet of an American empire, run by those people in Taiwan and elsewhere who couldn't get back here fast enough to try and topple our benevolent government to the applause of the west. I will NOT let that happen to my country again, as I am sure you will not let happen to Russia ever again."

"So what is your point", Putin replied. "My point, Vladimir, is that in order for both of our countries to survive, we need to join forces. We need to deeply formalize our ties, like the Americans and Europeans did with their NATO alliance. Alone, we can be beaten. Alone, China cannot fight its internal enemies or our foreign enemies with what we have now. Alone, Russia cannot for long withstand the pressures of the Americans and the West. You may have Europe by its manhood with your oil supplies, but soon the Americans will replace you, and after that, Europe and America will turn on you and destroy you, just like they did with the Soviet Union. They will ring your country with military forces, they will fund those rabble-rousers within your borders, and make your country implode again, and I doubt Russia can survive anything like the collapse of the Soviet Union a second time...." Putin was still watching, and still listening.

"But together, we can combine our strengths, and become a power unlike anything the world has ever seen. We will build an axis, which runs through Moscow and Beijing, around which Asia, Europe, the Atlantic, and the Pacific will revolve not for decades but for centuries to come. Russia's wealth, its technology, its allies, and its espionage and military strength, in conjunction with China's industry, manpower, our own allies and military might, would be a combination not even the American's could stop! Together, we will bring prosperity to our peoples, we will break the American's and the West's hold on the world's economies and governments, and rise to create our own place in the sun!"

"I like it" Putin responded. Xiao was instantly pleased. "Then do I have your agreement my friend?" Xiao held out his hand. "Yes. Yes you do. Let our two great countries build a new world, together." Putin and Xiao shook hands. The deal was done.

"Splendid! I will work on bringing China's allies into the fold. Than Shwe and Kim Jong Il I am told should both be very receptive of the idea! We may need your help with Vietnam however, I want to make it clear to them that a new friendship between our two countries is far more important than some puny islands."

"Then you can expect that help very soon. My government will contact Vietnam's and arrange a conference. Armenia, Mongolia, and the rest of the CSTO should be receptive, although the Ukrainians will be a big problem with all those strikes they are having....I do however think Turkey's new regime will like the idea, as they are looking for new friends after they broke from NATO, I still can't believe they went that far but I guess they are pretty mad with them for what happened in the Middle East. I think we can offer them a much more reliable ally than the west could!"
ergenekon_regime.png

The Ergenekon Regime of Turkey, a Junta of military commanders who believed that it was a mistake for Turkey's government to side with the west, having resulted in the destruction of most of the Middle East, a flood of Arab and Iranian refugees into Turkey, and had brought the independence of Kurdistan, which claimed parts of Turkey as its own national territory. The Ergenekon overthrew the government in a military coup shortly after the Great Middle East War ended, and began to seek new friends which it later found in the form of the new Shanghai Pact Alliance.

"Very well Vladimir. Xiao stated very happily. Together, we shall change the world forever!"
new_shanghai_pact.png

The New Shanghai Cooperation Organization, at the time of its recreation as a formal Military, Intelligence, and Economic alliance at the end of March, 2009. Initial members: China, Russia, Mongolia, North Korea, Myanmar, Armenia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan, with more to follow in the build up to World War 3.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Shanghai Pact setup is pretty ballanced and plausible, I also like that you added Lukashenko and Nazarbayev to those posts in Russian cabinet, it suits them really nicely. Lukashenko with his cunning foreign policy and personal ambitions is great choice for foreign minister while Nazarbayev has a lot of experience with running important oil exporting industry like Kazakhstan plus what is happening to Russia due to oil boom in your universe reminds me on what was done with Astana. Russia and China covering their backs is also good strategy, plus Russia can be great factor of stability in Asian sphere so smaller allies like Vietnam and DPRK won't flee away in fear of full Chinese dominance (and such PRC would probably still prefer to share some influence with Moscow than face things like Vietnam landing in US sphere).

I guess for you better downgrade Chinese industry.Because in a default MDS,Super Chinese industry and manpower resourses means deadly end for any enemy.I know,same situation like with a reall Chinese pep republic,but in a game...

Like the new update! However my own qualms is having Lukashenko as foreign minister. I am not saying he would not make a good foreign minister, on the contrary he would. The only issue is I would expect Lukashenko to have a far more prestigious position in the Russian cabinet, such as the post of Prime Minister in return for Belarus being annexed into a 'Greater Russia'. In OTL, there has been talks that Lukashenko would essentially become Prime Minister in such an event and also the fact that he has a very strong following in Russia to boot so even the Russian people would expect it.

Otherwise, enjoyed the update and I would like to add a few things:

1) I think Europe will very quickly do a deal with Russia peacefully rather then risk out right conflict. Due to the Ukrainian crisis, there has been a strong European demand for improving relations with Russia, taking them on board as a potential ally and kicking out the Americans. Not so much in Britain but moreso on the continent, particularly in Greece and France.

I think the overall situation would be as follows: "We'll help you remove your unwanted immigrants, rebuild your economies and help your nations come back onto the national stage in return for an alliance." Europeans would probably accept such an offer if America cannot provide anything to offer as a counterweight.

2) If America starts to falter in its Pacific defence capabilities, I could see an alliance between Japan and South Korea forming with a quick military buildup taking place in order to deter any potential Shanghai Pact aggression. I don't think nuclear weapons would be on the agenda but definitely mass conventional warfare. Also if Vietnam feels threatened, they could also side with South Korea and Japan.

Its not just the islands that concern Vietnam but also the memory of the Chinese invasion in the 1970s. Between Vietnam and China, there never was any socialist brotherhood like there was with China and North Korea.

3) If there are no nuclear weapons in TTL, then expect Ukraine to get steamrolled by the Russian bear. Period.

4) I could see South America having an economic boom at some point too. With Middle East oil supplies coming to a stand still and if nations feel weary of trading with Russia or China, this itself could lead to Brazil, Argentina and elsewhere having the largest economic boom not seen in a long, long time. Expect alot of immigrants too in order to help fuel these industries.

5) Australia, Canada and New Zealand. I expect not all Europeans would be too comfortable with an alliance with Russia. The vast majority? I think so. But like in Kaiser Reich, I suspect you'd get your exiles, particularly of the elitist and upper class stock that would have to flee somewhere. What perfect countries then these three? :D Talk about KR reborn. :D

Anyway really enjoying your AAR. One of the best modern AARs I've read in a long, long time. Keep up the good work!