• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Women in an airplane? We all know how that's going to end ;). Srsly though, good update.

"Does this pilot suit make me look fat?" :D

This is absolutely amazing!

A couple quibbles with China, though.

Zhang Xueliang should not be Chief of the Army as he was most certainly the power behind Pu Yi in Manchuria in this timeline. (he was the warlord commanding Manchurian forces until the Japanese kicked him out after Mukden incident in OTL)

Madame Chiang is a little bit too calculating. She and the empress should have more in common. (Madame Chiang lived in the United States from 1907 to 1917 and spoke perfect English with a Georgian accent.)  

A democratic Japan should not support any moves towards Sinkiang or Tibet. They are not Han territories and should be granted eventual independence. (Xinjiang literally means "new frontier" in Chinese. The west doesn't care about them because they're muslim and their charismatic religious leader died in a "plane crash" on his way to Beijing in 1960.)

Also, Tibet invaded Sichuan in 1930 to reassert control over the Eastern half of Kham, this area was inhabited by Tibetans but hadn't been under Lhasa's authority since the 17th century. The Tibetan army was forced to withdraw when their attempts to expand north into Qinghai encountered resistance and they were defeated by the Ma warlords. The point being that the Tibetans weren't above a little expansionism of their own.

What about the Japanese extraterritorial concessions in China?

I assume those have been returned, but is Japan pushing the British and the Americans to do likewise. (This is one of Chiang Kai Shek's unsung accomplishments, he was able to get the US and the UK to rip up all the unequal treaties with the exception of Hong Kong in 1944.)

I say all these things with the full knowledge that I am completely clueless when discussing Japanese history.

As far as Zhang Xueliang goes, I was just basing that off of the cabinet that the Nationalists currently have in-game. I hadn't realized that it was the same guy who would've been in charge of Manchuria behind the scenes. D'oh!

Chiang was already at war with Tibet when the alliance was made, and both it and Xinjiang are concessions Japan has had to make. If it's all take and no give on Japan's part, I don't see Chiang co-operating at all. So sacrificing Tibet and Xinjiang for a unified China was a deal the Empress was willing to make. So long as Chiang doesn't DoW Mongolia too - meaning triggering a war with Comrade Stalin - it's acceptable.

Yoriko also isn't pushing the Americans or Brits too hard about returning Chinese territories. Japan has kept Taiwan, so it's in no position to push others to do what it hasn't. Besides, the Brits have agreed on a sort of mutual 'hands off' policy with Japan in terms of Asian possessions.

Hope that helps clear those bits up, and that you keep reading!

Special supplement, I suppose

FRWTS.jpg

The Special Combat Squadron: An Overview

On September 14, 1938, Empress Yoriko of Japan issued an official decree announcing the formation of the Imperial Japanese Air Force's first Special Combat Squadron. This would be the first all-female pilot squadron in the world, and one of the few female combat units in the history of modern warfare at that point. Controversial to say the least, the Empress was heavilly criticized once the order was issued. However, the Special Combat Squadron was allowed to form all the same. Allies within the military, specifically the IJAF, allowed the Empress' will to be done. Unlike the regular Air Force and military, these women pilots would all be volunteers.

The first official member of the Special Combat Squadron was Pilot Recruit(later Lieutenant) Ookami Yuki. After being sworn in by the Empress herself, Recruit Ookami set out to recruit other women for this unique unit. Some of the more notable additions are shown here.

SCS1.jpg

Kuroda Hiroko - A fellow female aviator at the same airfield Ookami had flown out of, Kuroda was regarded by Ookami as a friendly rival. While dubious about the Special Combat Squadron initially, Kuroda agreed to join a week after being asked. Her personality was mostly a match for Ookami's, though she was rumored to have less a sense of humor than the Pilot Recruit. Kuroda impressed IJAF observers with her natural talent to bond with whatever aircraft she was put into the cockpit of, though something of a short temper prevented her from becoming a candidate for squadron leader. In addition, rumors of her father being a German dogged the pilot throughout her combat training.

SCS2.jpg

Sumida Hoshiko - One of the more surprising initial recruits for the squadron, Sumida was formerly the personal aide to Empress Yoriko herself. While she'd had no previous flying experience herself, Sumida claimed the opportunity was, "a unique chance to serve the Empress in a different way, and to get out and see the world". After requesting permission from Yoriko to enlist, Sumida argued several times the merits of the idea before the Empress relented, allowing her trusted aide to join the IJAF.

HazelYingLee.jpg

Hazel Ying Lee - The only foreigner in the Special Combat Squadron's initial recruitment class. Born in Portland, Oregon in 1912, Lee had her first ride on an aircraft in 1932 and fell in love with flying. She quickly became a pilot, and travelled to China, hoping to enlist in the Nationalist air force to assist in unification efforts there as well as to help fight off a possible Soviet intervention. After being denied on the grounds that she was a woman, Lee took up a job as a civillian pilot in Canton until 1938. Word of Lee reached Japan, and IJAF representatives approached the Chinese-American pilot, offering her the chance to join the Special Combat Squadron. Lee accepted, and became the first American to join the Japanese Imperial Armed Forces.

nishizawa.jpg

Nishizawa Hiroyoshi - One of two certified male combat pilots assigned to assist in the training of the new Special Combat Squadron, Nishizawa was described as 'coldly reserved and taciturn'. He enlisted in the Imperial Navy's pilot training program, and displayed a natural talent early on. Having graduated from his training class in March 1938, Nishizawa was assigned his training role on a 'temporary' basis. Should war break out, Nishizawa was to be returned to active duty aboard the carrier IJN Soryu.

sakai2.jpg

Sakai Saburo - The other male pilot assigned to train the female pilots in combat aviation, and originally also an IJN aviator. In actuality, Sakai began his career as a petty officer aboard the IJN Haruno, a battleship. Selected for pilot training in 1936, he transferred to the IJAF and qualified as a combat pilot in 1938, seing limited action over Canton during the joint Nationalist Chinese/Japanese invasion of the Guangxi Clique. Credited with downing one of Guangxi's few fighters, Sakai was given a promotion, and also reassigned to his new post upon acceptance of a request from Empress Yoriko herself.

While the squadron would ultimately fly the American designed P-40 fighter (produced in Japan under liscense as the Kyushu Ki-40 Auxilliary Fighter), the new recruits would first train on something simpler. Rather than a modern fighter, they would, like any male recruit, train on the Tachikawa Ki-9 trainer.

300px-Tachikawa_Ki-9.jpg

The Special Combat Squadron's first aircraft: the Tachikawa Ki-9 trainer.

Fighters are more glamorous than bombers, for sure.

FRWTS.jpg

Chapter Six, Part One: Preparing for War

After having arranged the establishment of the Special Combat Squadron, Empress Yoriko knew full well that it would take a while to recruit enough female pilots to fill out the ranks. The male military establishment would have serious doubts about the womens' combat capabilities, and those of the American planes they flew. However, controversy such as that could serve as a smoke screen for other plans.

Even as she'd travelled to recruit Ookami Yuki, Yoriko had come to a conclusion about Japan's unstable relationship with Italy. She'd already acted beligerently through words with the Italian regime. Now, she'd decided, words would no longer suffice. Japan would fight Italy, and the Empire had to be ready to strike beyond its current preparations. This wasn't new, but what was was her decision that Japan should strike first at the outbreak of hostilities. Waiting for the Italians to attack Japanese holdings would not do.

The Empress, therefore, had consulted further with military men and intelligence agents to determine the best place for a first attack. Japan's army was slightly larger than Italy's in total number of divisions, but in the theater the IJA would number about half of that of Italy's army, by the best estimates. One of the IJA's advantages would be its armored divisions, but the initial ground attacks would be in east Africa. Not something that would count as a major blow to the Duce's pride. Liberation of East Africa would be expected.

Japan's biggest asset in the now inevitable conflict would be the Imperial Navy. It outnumbered the Italian Regia Marina, and had more carriers than any other fleet in the world (even the American navy, the intelligence officers thought). Still, the Regia Marina had two battleships and numerous cruisers, enough to cause a major headache for invasion forces aboard transports. As the war progressed, the IJN would have to cover a larger area, which would allow the Italians a chance to ambush a smaller Japanese force with superior numbers. Destruction of the IJN forces piecemeal was a definite possible tactic for the Regia Marina. Furthermore, the Regia Marina was the instrument with which the Duce hoped to establish control of the Mediterrenean. A blow against it would be a blow not only to a potential threat and the Duce's pride. It would also be unexpected.

The naval strike decided, Empress Yoriko had called a meeting with the fleet's rising star and resident carrier tactics expert, Vice Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku. No one else would be present - this plan was to be kept to as few people as possible. It was the surprise element of the attack that Yoriko believed would assist Japan in succeeding. Yamamoto arrived ten minutes early for the meeting, dressed in navy whites. Yoriko, as was usual for military meetings, wore her Supereme Commander's uniform.

070417_CL_YamamotoTN.jpg

Vice Admiral Yamamoto, Japan's best carrier commander and trusted confidant of the Empress.

"Thank you for coming, Vice Admiral," Yoriko smiled after exchanging bows with Yamamoto, "I realize that such a private meeting is unusual, considering the groups present at our other military planning meetings. However, the importance of this meeting's topic demands the utmost secrecy."

"I understand, Your Imperial Majesty," Yamamoto responded, then set the breifcase he'd been carrying with him on top of the unoccupied table in the middle of the room, "It's flattering that you would request to meet with me in private, of all people."

"I asked for you because you are the best at what you do. Or so I've been led to believe," the Empress responded, then asked, "You recieved my communication on this matter?"

"Of course," Yamamoto nodded, then pulled some papers out of his breifcase and set them on the table next to it, "I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. A major naval strike against the Italians would not only limit the effectiveness of their navy to harry us, but also put a major dent in the Duce's armor. The sooner we rule the seas in the theater, the easier the effort becomes for everyone."

"That's good to hear," Yoriko remarked, then asked, "So, what sort of attack would be best suited for this purpose?"

"A strike from carrier-based aircraft on one of their major military ports would be best. Italy does not have carriers of its own, and what surface ships she does have will be sitting ducks, as the Americans say, for our torpedo and dive bombers. If we catch the Italians with a good number of warships in port, we can maximize the damage done to the Regia Marina," Yamamoto answered without hesitation.

"But we cannot risk moving too far north, or else their bombers may be able to respond during our withdrawal," Yoriko ventured, having boned up on aerial strategy of late.

"Exactly," Yamamoto agreed, "We must find a harbor, which might be blocked by a ship that is sunk while attempting to flee from its port. That would help prevent immediate repair on enemy ships struck during the attack. It must also be a harbor in which our torpedo bombers can effectively launch their ordinance. From all our intelligence, one port comes to mind that fits the bill best, though not neccessarily ideally."

"And that would be where, Vice Admiral?" Yoriko asked, trying not to show her building excitement too much.

Yamamoto gave a slight smirk as he produced a photo from his stack of papers, "Taranto harbor. We believe that at least one of their battleships makes port there, and a good number of heavier surface ships as well. A strike against Taranto would give us a good chance of success, and the Italians would not expect a strike there. The harbor is shallow; too shallow, they believe, for torpedos to work there."

"Will that not be a problem in our planning?" Yoriko asked, studying the photograph herself.

"We can perhaps modify our torpedos to work. I'm certain that, given the right planning, we can achieve success," Yamamoto explained, then added, "With your permission, I have a man in mind to work out a detailed attack plan. Captain Genda Minoru, who serves aboard one of the carriers under my command."

minoru_genda.jpg

Captain Genda Minoru, architect of the Japanese surprise attack plan against Taranto harbor.

"If you trust him, Vice Admiral, that is good enough for me. Please remind Captain Genda of the top secret nature of the project, though. We cannot risk our intentions being discovered before the attack is launched," Yoriko consented, then grinned, "And I will see that our intelligence operations in Italy are stepped up, personally. You need only worry about working out the complete plan of this strike, Vice Admiral. If all goes as I hope, Mussolini won't know what hit him until his ships are burning."

She knew the man in charge of Japanese intelligence in Italy had been active already, providing some of the data that Yamamoto had brought to this meeting. Now, that man, a naval attache to the Japanese embassy in Rome, would be even busier. He was a short, middle aged man who wore spectacles with large round lenses, and gave off the air of a bureacrat more than anything. A man who looked like a pencil pusher would not be as likely to be seen as a master spy. Yet now, Lt. Commander Sano Gotaro would be charged with gathering as much intelligence as he could about the Italian port of Taranto, and nearby military instillations as he could.

U1072522E.jpg

Sano Gotaro, head of Japanese intelligence in Italy.

The die had been cast once more. Japan would fight Italy, and she would strike first, suddenly and swiftly.

I've just imagined Benito holding FDR's day of Infamy speech to the Facist grand council. :rofl:

Taranto!

That's bold! And the Italian intelligence must be sleeping.

Taranto!

That's bold! And the Italian intelligence must be sleeping.

What's next? An American Carrier Raid on the Soviet Navy in the Black Sea? :rofl:

For some reason, I see "A League of their Own" written on the Special Combat Squadron.

What's next? An American Carrier Raid on the Soviet Navy in the Black Sea? :rofl:

Perhaps the British will look at the Japanese attack on Taranto and go "Hmm...this gives us an idea." The British then proceed to use the lessons learned about Taranto to conduct an surprise attack on a major Soviet port.

It would be "Taranto leads to Pearl Harbor" flipped completely upside down.

FRWTS.jpg

Chapter Six, Part Two: Last Months of Peace

Three Years. It had been three years since Yoriko had ascended to the throne after Emperor Atsuhito's death. In those three years, Yoriko had guided Japan into a position few thought likely before her return to Japan. Wars had been fought in Manchuria and China, both ending with victory. Now Japan was poised to fight Europeans again, and the result of such a war seemed unclear. Without the aide of old allies like Britain and France, Japan would be fighting almost entirely on its own at first.

Would the Japanese public support the war? She'd gone to more conservative politicians and military figures to shore up support in as many places as she could. Still, the fact that Japan would be striking first against an enemy a world away put public support in doubt. Yoriko also had to worry about gaining Korean support, as the Korean army would have to play a major role in support of the Japanese forces. That was a worry for another day. Major operations wouldn't take place until 1939, so for now the Empire and its allies were at peace.

As she sat in the recording room of a Tokyo radio station, she prepared for her national address. It would be her first on the anniversary of her ascencion, something she planned to make an annual event. She'd abandoned her Supreme Commander uniform for the occasion, electing to don a more traditional kimono. Official photos were to be taken afterwards, so it seemed logical to save time on preparation by being dressed ahead of time.

It would've been her aide's job to indicate when she was to start, but Sumida Hoshiko wasn't working for the Empress in that capacity any longer. She was off training to fly a combat aircraft in the Special Combat Squadron. While Yoriko received updates in the form of letters from Sumida, the Empress had to rely on newer staff to assist her. The new girl, also dressed in a kimono to accompany Yoriko, got the signal from the radio technician and waved to tell the Empress she was on the air.

"Good evening, my beloved Japanese people," Yoriko began evenly, "It is an honor to be addressing you once more on this third anniverssary of my ascencion to the Chrysanthemum Throne. I take pride in being your Empress, and in Japan's accomplisments these past years."

The Empress went on to summarize Japanese accomplishments, then got around to the part of her address dealing with foreign matters, "These times are troubling and dark in many places. The forboding clouds of war are beginning to form over Europe once again, even if the old powers there cannot see them yet. Those who believe that appeasing dictators, I am confident, will find that doing so only further fuels the ambitions of such men."

"Two years ago, the Italian Duce completed a conquest of Ethiopia, and no nation raised so much as a finger to assist the victims of his aggression. Ethiopia's rightfult ruler has been living in assylum in Kyoto since his nation was occupied. Japan has been a vocal opponent of the Italian move, and stands ready to defend its new friends in Mozambique," Yoriko added on, a fierce tone entering her voice, "In Europe, another nation has begun to seize land that should not belong to it. Germany has manipulated votes in Austria to join that nation to her, and recently was allowed to take over part of Czechslovakia she claimed was hers. These moves were met not by the force that might have nipped the flower of German expansionism in the bud, but by appeasing words. No matter what the Nazi government says, Hitler will continue to seek furhter lands that are 'traditionally' German. And if the defenders of democracy and liberty in Europe will not stand up to him, other nations will suffer for it. Other nations, too, will take up the cause if the old guard fails."

Japanese_Army.jpg

The Imperial Japanese Army was lionized in some certain foreign media. This image was taken from an American pro-Japanese poster.

"Japan, Korea and China have formed a bulwark of free nations in Asia, and stability has been returned to the last nation. Together, we can meet any challenge presented to us. In this new and more dangerous world, Japan must be ready to answer the call to arms in defense of liberty, freedom, and self-determination," Yoriko continued, nearing her conclusion, "And I am confident that our nation will answer that call with the determination of the Yamato spirit. Our Rising Sun will be the beacon of the ideals of democracy, its rays shining out to the far corners of the world and spreading hope to all people oppressed by foreign powers. Whether it is by diplomacy or by steel, Japan will do everything in its power to push back the dark night, and secure a brighter future. Thank you, and may Japan and her people prosper for ten thousand years."

With that, the light went off, and Yoriko let out a sigh of relief. Another speech concluded. After all the pictures had been taken, maybe she could get to sleep early. That was probably asking too much, as there was probably some breifing on her desk that simply could not wait. Still, she could hope. Her new aide came into the recording room, and Yoriko smiled despite herself. The girl was a few years younger than the Empress, just a teenager she thought. Moreover, the girl was Chinese, but spoke fluent Japanese. Such an arrangement wouldn't have existed back before Yoriko's ascension to the throne.

The girl was also the subject of Japanese intelligence's probe into China to attempt to locate alternative central authority figures to Chiang. It was believed that the girl's family might be descended from the Ming dynasty, which made her a potential head of state for the future. In order to keep her safe from Chinese forces who were too loyal to Chiang, and to train her in how to rule, Yoriko had decided to take the girl under her wing. She hadn't been told of her potential destiny yet, but that was for the girl's own safety.

While the Empress posed for offficial photographs in a pre-arranged room at the radio station, Japan's military preparations went into full gear. Increasingly more troops were being shipped to Mozambique, in order to organize the army that would strike into Italian east Africa when the time came. Japanese armored units were organized into three 'Senshagun' (Tank Army) forces, under General Asaka and Lieutenant Generals Yamashita and Yamada. Imperial naval forces were shifted to Mozambique as well, and combat training was stepped up.

Meanwhile, the Imperial Air Force's new fighters were being brought into service officially, right off the Mitsubishi and Nakajima production lines. At the same time, Kawasaki aviation obtained three new inline aircraft engines from Great Britain. Some skeptics in the IJAF preferred purely domestic engines, but Kawasaki's engineers saw great potential. The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine was to be dissected, analyzed, and utlimately rebuilt by Kawasaki. More important was the aircraft their designers began to conceive based around it. One that would be further competition for European fighters, especially the German Bf 109. This new concept fighter was the Kawasaki 'Hien', later the Ki-61.

kawasaki_ki61_3v.jpg

British engine power meets Japanese design: the Kawasaki Ki-61, to be powered by a version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.

Finally, the Special Combat Squadron received new trainers in December, these the actual Kyushu Ki-40s they'd be flying in combat. Their trainers thought the fighter clumsy and less likely to be effective than the Ki-39 or K-44. Still, the women were determined to give a good account of themselves, and drilled as hard as (or harder, some said) than any man would have.

p-40e_tachikawa-1.jpg

Ki-40 fighters of the Special Combat Squadron at their training airfield near Hiroshima.

Excellent! And the Empress is keeping her Ace in the hole close to the vest concerning China. I foresee Chinese intelligence trying to discreetly ferret out all they can about Her Imperial Majesty's new aide.

"And I am confident that our nation will answer that call with the determination of the Yamato spirit. Our Rising Sun will be the beacon of the ideals of democracy, its rays shining out to the far corners of the world and spreading hope to all people oppressed by foreign powers. Whether it is by diplomacy or by steel, Japan will do everything in its power to push back the dark night, and secure a brighter future. Thank you, and may Japan and her people prosper for ten thousand years."

Yoriko gave a very nice speech, full of democratic rhetoric. I do wonder why she chose "ten thousand years".

Large update, Part I

FRWTS.jpg

Chapter Six, Part Three: Climb Mount Niitaka

Relations between the Japanese Empire and Italy deteriorated even further after the Empress' November speech. Italian intelligence, busy with false leads (some of which were planted by Japanese agents), failed to catch wind of the daring Japanese plot to attack Taranto harbor. They did manage to identify that a disturbing number of Ethiopian men had found their way into French and British territory in the Horn of Africa, and purportedly took civillian ships to Mozambique.

While the Italians accused Japan of duplicity, and charged that they were preparing a military endeavor against European colonial powers, not only themselves, Japanese preparations were stepped up. A major portion of the Imperial Japanese Navy was rebased to Mozambique, including Vice Admiral Yamamoto's 11. Kaigun. In the secretive plans for the attack on Taranto, this force was referred to as 'Kido Butai'.

The Imperial Japanese Army gathered in nearly full strength in Mozambique as well. Thirty-one Japanese divisions were transported from staging points in southern China and Formosa to southeast Africa. All nine of the IJA's armored divisions were moved there as well. Japan's bomber wings, and all the modern fighters it could assemble, were transported to Mozambique for training in the African environment. Combat training was stepped up as well, and pilots began to study Italian aircraft identification.

B.jpg

Infantry captain Kanzaki Masamune of the 'Sendai' hoheishodan, freshly arrived in Mozambique in January 1939.

Once the huge army was assembled fully, along with five Korean infantry divisions (on 'special combat readiness training'), the date was set for the intiation of hostilities. Kido Butai would sail in February for Taranto harbor, through the Suez canal. Britain was hesitant to allow the Japanese fleet through, but a compromise was reached with American help. The United States, as a neutral nation, convinced the British to allow them to send a screening vessel to keep an eye on the Japanese 'training exercise'. The USN vessel would send regular reports to the Royal Navy, in order to assure that the Japanese would not take action against British holdings.

President Roosevelt had been secretly informed of Japan's intentions to strike a 'severe blow to the Italian navy', and managed to organize US participation in the cover story. Japan, the British were told, was going to engage in a training exercise in the Adriatic, with Greek approval. As Japan's training fleet would have some newer vessels, they wished the size and composition, as well as the destination of the fleet to be kept secret.

Italian intelligence received word of a Japanese fleet sailing past Somalia and Ethiopia, and scrambled to obtain data on the force's mission. Only vague references to the training exercise would be found, and those too late to alter the course of history. Kido Butai reached the eastern Mediterrenean early on July 13, aided further by an out of season storm that hampered any aerial reconnaisance.

As the day neared an end, a message was radioed to the member ships of the Japanese attack force: "Niitaka-san o noboru".

"Climb Mount Niitaka"; the signal that the fleet hadn't been detected in those particular waters, and that the strike was to be carried out as planned.

Part II

FRWTS.jpg

Chapter Seven, Part One: Tora! Tora! Tora!

February 14, 1939 -

Lieutenant Hamasaki Keitaro had trained for months to become an aviator in the Imperial Navy. After completing his extended combat training, he'd been certified as a fighter pilot. Assignment to the carrier IJN Akagi had meant further sweat and toil to become combat ready. Now it was time to see if that training had been enough. Still dark outside, Hamasaki did a last check of his flight suit and equipment, and then hurried over to his Mitsubishi fighter.

zero2.jpg

A6M2 fighters prepare to take off from the deck of the IJN Jingo Kogo for the attack on Taranto Harbor.

Soon, the signal was given and the fighters' engines roared to life. The first fighter taxied into position and then raced down the Akagi's deck. It fell out of view for a moment, during which Hamasaki's gut wrenched just a little. What if the plane crashed into the water instead of ascending? But the A6M2 fighter appeared seconds later, climbing up into the sky. Following him, another fighter, followed by still another made their takeoffs. Hamasaki soon joined them, and as he gained altitude he could see the vast air armada that was forming.

Jap_plane_leaves_Shokaku-Pearl_Harb.jpg

A bomber takes off from the IJN Soryu to attack Taranto.

First fighters, then Aichi dive and Nakajima torpedo bombers from five carriers took to the sky. Alongside the Akagi, the carriers Soryu, Karyu, Jingo Kogo and Hiryu had joined Kido Butai for the attack. Such an aerial force astounded Hamasaki, who had to refocus on the task at hand. The Italians had an airfield near Taranto, at which it was believed several fighter groups were based. While the Mitsubishi A6M2 was believed to be superior to the main Italian fighter, the IJN pilots had to keep their eyes open. It'd be their job to keep the Italians off of the bombers.

B5N.jpg

Nakajima B5N torpedo bombers in formation.

Dawn broke just as the aerial force could make out Taranto harbor in the distance. No Italian fighters raced up to meet them, which relieved Keitaro. An interception force would sow chaos amongst the Japanese aircraft he was supposed to protect. Instead, the IJN aircraft were alone in the calm mediterranean morning. The storm that had protected Kido Butai from detection had subsided somewhat, and the rising sun broke through the clouds. That sunburst was noticed by Keitaro's wingman, who waved to get his attention, then gestured to the display.

"It looks like our flag," Keitaro commented, then grinned. He took the sunburst as a good omen.

In a few minutes, the Italian harbor was in sight, and there was still no Italian resistance. Maybe they hadn't woken up yet. They would soon, Keitaro thought, as the bombers began their attack run. Keitaro flew his fighter in a circling formation above, watching both the attack unfolding and for enemy fighters.

Taranto-1.jpg

A pilot's-eye view of Taranto harbor.

Moments later, the first explosions appeared, eminating from a smaller Italian ship. Almost immediately as that first ship was hit, the Italian anti-aircraft fire began. Streaks of yellow-orange fire shot up from enemy enplacements around the harbor, trying to stab the attacking Japanese. No enemy fighters yet, and another ship went up with a large explosion.

TarantoAttack.jpg

Aichi bombers strike the Italian fleet at Taranto.

"Let's put some holes in those Italian gunners," came the voice of Keitaro's squadron commander, and the fighter wing obeyed without hesitation.

Keitaro dove on one of the positions, gently pulling the trigger for his machine guns. He got close enough to see when one spurt of fire from his guns tore into an Italian AA gun crewman. A fierce smile came across Keitaro's face as he climbed rapidly for another pass at the gun. As he did so, the largest Italian ship present blew apart in a huge orange fireball. From what he could see, the attack was devastating to the Italian fleet's present ships; they were getting ripped apart, and there was nothing the Regia Marina could do about it. How many men were going down with that battleship?

No matter, as his wingman announced, "We've got company! Fighters from the north!"

Keitaro looked to the north and spotted four Italian fighters. They didn't look so much like an interception force than a routine patrol. Keitaro didn't care. This was the first engagement between Japanese and Italian fighters, and he was going to be part of it! What better to write home about to his family (and more importantly, his girlfriend!) than taking down an Italian?

The fighter wing broke off its strafing run to engage the Italian fighters, Keitaro and his wingman selecting the Italian on the far right. They maneuvered into position just above the fighter. What kind of plane was that? After wracking his brain for the answer, it came to him. The long study sessions on known Italian aircraft had focused especially on enemy fighters. This appeared to be a Macchi MC.200, or Saetta, fighter. Whatever its designation, though, it would be in flames soon.

Saetta.jpg

The Macchi MC 200 'Saetta' fighter, four of which were on patrol during the attack on Taranto.

Keitaro dove on the fighter, lining up his fire with the Saetta. He tapped the firing button again, and a burst of machine gun fire ripped through the enemy fighter's canopy. As Keitaro peeled off to climb for another pass, he saw that he must have hit the pilot; the Saetta tumbled out of control and toward the ground below. Another Saetta had evaded Japanese fighters to his left, and was trying to get away. Keitaro's wingman dove on the fighter, fired, but didn't seem to hit.

Grinning savagely again, Keitaro dove on this Italian as well. Just as the Italian was straightening out to make a run, back to his airfield most likely, Keitaro was on his tail. A burst from his machine gun ripped into the fighter's wing, and Keitaro climbed for another dive. His wingman motioned for him to take the next attack, and Keitaro dove his Mitsubishi once more. This time, his burst seemed to hit something vital. Flame burst from the Saetta, and the fighter tumbled towards the ground at an alarming rate.

"All right, boys, that's all the fighters," came the commander's authoritative vioce, "The bombers have finished their attack, let's head home."

The A6M2s turned and headed out to sea, flying over a scene of carnage below. Many ships were burning, as were buildings nearby the military port. Keitaro was transfixed by the burning wreckage, giving off a warm glow and huge plumes of black smoke. And he'd downed not one, but two Italian fighters! Yes, that would be something to write home to Hanako about.

Japanese_attack_on_Pearl_Harbor_Haw.gif

Regia Marina ships burn in the aftermath of the Japanese attack.

As his fighter headed back to the Akagi, he recalled it was some sort of romantic holiday in the west. St. Valentine's Day, he thought he remembered from an article about American culture he'd read. If so, then there was something to joke about in the letter, too. For now, though, he had to concentrate on landing on his carrier.

The Japanese attack on Taranto harbor was a punishing blow to Italian naval strength and morale. Every ship in port was damaged, some sunk outright. Amongst the sunk ships were the cruisers RM Taranto, RM Luigi Cardona, RM Duca d'Aosta, and battleship RM Caio Duilio. Mussolini was outraged that the Japanese, of all people, had succesfully struck with the surprise attack, and called the Empress a traitrous witch.

Simultaneously, Japanese forces landed in Somalia, beginning the Japanese efforts to liberate east Africa. Japanese, Korean, and Free Ethiopian forces would be transported to Somalia over the next two weeks, and soon the offensive would begin. Meanwhile, a tragic event in the western Mediterrenean would end any pretense of American neutrality...