• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
End of Part One

To be Continued ...

How unfortunate. Did you intend for this to happen, or was this by random chance?

I was looking for something to bring the curtain on for part one - and an unwinnable Civil War (literally had every single vassal in all my realms rebelling) seemed the perfect moment!

Don't be sad! All things come to an end, only for new things to be born!

I'm betting upon pure masochism and wanting to make Eu4 more challenging. :p

Haha, well - I definately had a preference for Scotland being separated from the HRE for EUIV. This is why I quietly allowed HRE CA to sink very low.

You sure do have a knack for destroying your player country/family in your AARs, don't you? Another shocking ending on your part!

I guess the MacGirics deserved to be kings, considering they've been trying to capture the Scottish crown for centuries now.

A bit unrelated (alternate linguistic development fascinates me), but I bet the English language in this timeline would still be similar to our own language, just with Spanish/Asturian influence instead of the French/Norman influence. It would produce quite an interesting parallel language. Did the Christians win the Reconquista in this game, by any chance?

Its a fun way for concluding things :p. At least this time the show goes on! And the MacGiric's definitely deserve a crack at the big job after 300 years of clamoring for the throne.

As for the Reconquista, I'll do a roundup of the world at the start of Part Two, but I can confirm that the Christians won in Spain - even establishing a fascinating Christian-Arab Kingdom in Morocco (Mauretania) which goes on to become one of Christendom's major players in the EUIV section.

Very R.R Martinesque :p

Thankyou :p

....well that was unexpected.

Onward and upward!

How will you avoid becoming part of France in EUIV?

France remained split between France and Aquitaine during the CKII portion, so, although strong, is hardly the behemoth we all know and love from vanilla EU.

Nothing left but the original holding of Fife? That's wonderfully poetic, that is.

Glad someone noticed that little touch :).

Serves them right for their avaricious Cymry-oppressing, Empire-grabbing, border-forsaking antics, I say! :D

A shame to see the MacDrostans go, though I'm sure that the MacGirics will prove just as interesting. I do like dynastic changeovers, though. They often make for very interesting periods of history – certainly in terms of keeping a country from simply dominating all of Europe (which the MacD's looked set on doing at some stage, if they hadn't already.)

Looking forward to the travails to come in EUIV! :p

Also, in repsonse to volksmarschall's earlier reply to my thoughts, I don't find it at all odd that you find all reads doth while. I'm certainly not one to discriminate texts based on how accepted they are, or whether they adhere to my existing biases (though this may well be down more to my lack of formal schooling in what actually is widely accepted and so forth.) If anything only reading that which, if you don't necessarily agree with, you find valid, is in my eyes nothing short of a one-way ticket to stubborn narrowmindedness! :D

You should certainly thank the MacGirics for getting us out of Germany! Something you've been demanded since the Scots first arrived :p.

That is what I call an abrupt end.

Haha, I call it dramatic! :p

An unexpected turn of things to say the least! Well I hope that the new, MacGiric dynasty will be more long-lived on the throne of Scotland (even i the MacDrostans where longlived too). Could you also post a short dynastic information about the MacGiric dynasty as a whole before going on to EU4?

The MacDrostans lasted 500 years! It will be tough to beat that :p. Hop the little paragraph in the above update will suffice for MacG background, I can always go into more detail later if you would prefer though :).

Superb ending to the dynasty Tommy4ever. Really loved this 1st part and very much looking forward to the next. Well done that man!

Thanks! Hope you enjoy part two!

Congratulations Tommy for finishing this! You make me disappointed in my inability to ever make it into the eleventh century unless I already start from there! :p

My favourite part of AARs is when you get a significant way into them and a fuller alternate history starts to emerge. Give it a go making it to the 15th century!!

I will post again here with a link, and place one on the first page, when Part Two is up and running. Thank you for everyone who read and commented on the first part of this AAR. Here's to another 600 years!

Head of House MacGiric: 1393-2425

Are you quite sure about that? :p

I have high hopes for the new kings going into Part Two, I must say. It doesn't take much work in the imagination's part to imagine the Scots as a dominant marine, island power, and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how much they can achieve in this regard. Just stay out of Poland! :D

Question for you though Tommy? One of the reasons I prefer CK to EU is the relentless focus on people rather more than politics or events. How are you going to maintain that as the game moves into EUIV?

Question for you though Tommy? One of the reasons I prefer CK to EU is the relentless focus on people rather more than politics or events. How are you going to maintain that as the game moves into EUIV?

I believe he did this quite well with the Egypto-Norse, so I'm sure he'll do just fine with this as well.

Great job with the AAR! Best of luck in EU!

The MacDrostans lasted 500 years! It will be tough to beat that :p. Hop the little paragraph in the above update will suffice for MacG background, I can always go into more detail later if you would prefer though :).

The little paragraph is good enough, will be exiting to see part two in EU4 and the further continuation of the megacampaign.

Weep for House MacDrostan. Still 500 years is not a bad run and let's be honest running the HRE is tough enough on its own, never mind Scotland :D Kind of annoyed my prediction for a child Emperor ruining everything turned out to be a very old Emperor.

And congratulations to the McGirics, proof if proof be needed that persistence pays off. Fantastic stuff and looking forward to Part Two.

What a dramatic change. I'm looking forward to part 2!

What a ride! I was set for Scotland dominating the British Isles and forming GB, but this turned out so much more entertaining. I loved the Fraticelli wars in particular, as well as that poor sod who went from failure to failure only to die in a tournament almost immediately after he finally becomes king.

I think Scotland in the HRE would have been decently entertaining and kind of plausible in the EU4 portion, actually. But I like how you've left it for EU4 nonetheless - Scotland in a strong, but not overwhelmingly powerful position. I eagerly await Part II. :)

Incredibly good. Glad to see Scotland separated from the empire again and with a new dynasty on the throne, should make an interesting continuation. Can't wait for the rest! :D

Reactions:
Just caught up... words cannot express how grateful I am for the rise of Gilbert - nothing says "jumping the shark" for a CKII AAR like the King of Scotland remaining Holy Roman Emperor for too long! I thought the whole "letting the rebels win for once" idea was a nice touch to end teh AAR on, and appreciate the fact you took the trouble to give us an epilogue rather than having the AAR end with an unexplained rebel victory like your Carlist one.

Looking forward to part two. :)