• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm curious whether you plan to manually convert from EUIV>VII>HOI3 or see if the fan-converter for EUIV>VII is ready by then.

The former would be a lot of work, that's for sure.

I must say, King Adam II has quite the dashing beard! :p ;)

Read it, love it, subscribed. Really enjoying the rapid pace of the updates!

Subed. How did you get a CB for lancaster? ask the pope for a claim?

Subbed. Loved your last AAR, and this one is looking to be even more spectacular, albeit slightly less ridiculous. Laude Caledonios!

Sorry, no update just yet - I should be able to write one on either Monday or Tuesday. I've been away on holiday and won't have access to screenshots and notes until then. But thought I'd answer some comments since its been a while since I posted here :).

Ah Brice the Bold. There's just something about alliterative nicknames that make them seem more like people actually thought of that cognomen; Justinian the Gentle and Georgios the Great are my personal favorites. Here's hoping Adam II gets 'the Able' in-game.

A pity that the first Scottish attempts at intrigue and diplomacy on the world stage ended so much worse than the Asturians'. Still, depending on who Adam surrendered to, he might still have a claim to press on his mother's Kingdom.

Yeah, whilst 'the Bold' maybe wasn't the best nickname the game could have given him considering his life's feats (the Old, SURELY!), it does have a nice ring to it. Adam still has a claim to Lotharingia at his ascension.

Aye, Character Designer can only be used at the start. Customization Pack lets you make graphical (Coat of Arms, Hairstyle, Nation Name) changes throughout the entire game though. Really useful for getting rid of those large haircuts that glitch through crowns and such :D

Anyway, it looks like if the Spanish fracture anymore, the Scots will be ready to rush them and throw them out for good. How is it that you always get the most interesting situations in your AARs? Spanish England, Ireland unifying, Joan of Arc. I only ever get mistresses and everything falling apart. -.-

Ah, knew about the haircuts and country names - not about the CoAs. CK2 is kind to me it seems :). Gives me interesting scenarios to write about!

That designer can also be used for roleplay with the hair and growing long beards. ;)

I think it is good to have the spanish in England, as it gives you a legmit Casus Belli (roleplay one) to restore the Brithish Isles under celtic rule.

I usually don't bother with the haircuts unless the game is going REALLY boringly :p. Scottish advances Southwards do indeed make more sense with the Spanish ruling in the English Kingdoms rather than Anglo-Saxons.

Well, that certainly was a long reign. Bride got a lot done – even if long reigns do often stagnate towards the end. Shame about Wales, though Ireland seem to have the right idea. I'm quite glad Adam comes with no attachment to the continent, if I'm honest. It makes focussing on beating back those dastardly Spaniards all the easier. :D

Was impressed to see the Irish unify, kick out the last of the Vikings and then go off to conquer a small overseas Empire! Ireland is relatively strong - capable of fielding an army not all that much smaller than Scotland's at this stage. With long reigns, I often don't want to get involved in big projects as they get past 60 for fear of the King dying in the middle and making the updates less neat and tidy :p. Brice was quite frustrating in this respect! Had Adam managed to win Lotharingia I would probably be involved in constant continental wars, so there are certainly advantages to his defeat.

This statement might have to be edited if a future Scottish monarch reigns for seventy-nine! :D

Naturally though I find the prospect of Spaniards in England to be an affront to all Britons and I hope this new Adam fellow can make their removal a top priority.

I'm gambling that no one beats his record :p. And the Spanish in England seem very unpopular with the readership.

Didn't expect you back in the Aar business so soon, Tommy. I know I wouldn't be if if it was me. Anyway nice stuff so far I've enjoyed reading it and look forward to more. The long lived Brice reminds me of an old game. I was playing a Byz game last year and thought I'd look how the rest of the world was doing, all of Britain was conquered by the possessed king of Scotland, Alexander the great who went on to form the Empire of Britannia. Died aged 98 leaving the empire to his 69 year old surviving celibate son. Things didn't go well after that.

I couldn't keep myself away for long :p. Thanks for the encouragement, I've always hope to one day see one of these ultra long-lived kings who make it past 90. I wonder if there are ever any who reach 100?

I'm curious whether you plan to manually convert from EUIV>VII>HOI3 or see if the fan-converter for EUIV>VII is ready by then.

The former would be a lot of work, that's for sure.

I'm planning to cross these bridges when I come to them. I'll check out the fan made converter for V2 and either look to smooth out any issues myself or go through a more painstaking manual conversion process. As for the conversion to a HoI game - if I'm still going when HoI4 comes out then that game is a possibility, and I'll see what is available at the time. Its likely going to be months and months before I have to worry about all that though.

I must say, King Adam II has quite the dashing beard! :p ;)

Had a look back myself, he certainly does! :p

Read it, love it, subscribed. Really enjoying the rapid pace of the updates!

Thanks! Hope you continue following :).

Yes, push that Anglo-Saxon scum back into the sea!

You mean Spanish-Anglo-Saxon scum ;).

Subed. How did you get a CB for lancaster? ask the pope for a claim?

There's also a (very low) chance that Fabricating Claims gets you a claim on the Duchy rather than the County, IIRC.

IN game it was actually a series of shorter wars - but I squeezed it into one for the story. I had a mixture of claims from vassals and fabricated ones - this led to Lancaster being a bit of a mess with different counties following into the hands of various Scottish lords.

Fascinating combination of the plausible and the odd, what with Scottish Joan, Spanish Kent and Prince Adam running off to Germany. Its that combination in the right amounts that creates great AARs

Thanks! I always try to find that correct balance, glad you think I'm currently on course :).

Subbed. Loved your last AAR, and this one is looking to be even more spectacular, albeit slightly less ridiculous. Laude Caledonios!

Good to see another reader, and hope you continue to enjoy this one. :)

Yeah, whilst 'the Bold' maybe wasn't the best nickname the game could have given him considering his life's feats (the Old, SURELY!), it does have a nice ring to it.
Maybe his nickname is a corruption of 'Brice the Old'? :p
And the Spanish in England seem very unpopular with the readership.
Spanish Armada is the cause, I imagine. That, and it being fairly absurd :p

Why is it absurd? Northern Spain isn't far from southern France and English monarchs inherited loads of land there in history, why not the other way around?

Why is it absurd? Northern Spain isn't far from southern France and English monarchs inherited loads of land there in history, why not the other way around?

Don't you think they'd be more busy fighting off Saracens or something? Invading England doesn't make much strategic sense if you ask me.

Adam II MacDrostan
Lived: 1000-1048
Head of House MacDrostan: 1048
King of Scotland: 1048​

It is one of history’s many ironies that the longest reigning Scottish monarch was followed immediately by the shortest reigning. A great deal had been expected, and hoped for, from Adam II when he succeeded his long lived father – none of those hopes were met. Indeed, Adam ruled for just seven weeks before he was killed during the tournament he had organised as part of the celebrations of his ascension.

The product of a marriage between the King of Scotland and the Queen of Lotharingia, Adam’s breeding was impeccable, yet he quickly set out to make a name for himself in his own right. Travelling to Spain during his youth he fought alongside the Asturians, his father’s erstwhile enemies, against the Moors – taking part in the reconquest of Toledo and building a reputation as a great warrior and diplomat. After his adventures in Iberia, Adam returned to Scotland where he was granted the Duchy of Lancaster – his father encouraging him to settle down. However, when his mother, the Queen of Lotharingia, died he was once against thrust into combat as he travelled to the continent to fight for his right to the Lotharingian crown. Despite his eventual defeat, Adam had strengthened his reputation in Scotland for his bravery and warrior image. In the last years of Brice’s rule the Adam’s role in government in Stirling steadily increased as the nobility increasingly looked to him as a beacon of hope whilst his father’s ability to rule deteriorated.

Shortly after he finally secured a crown of his own when his father died at the age of 83, Adam II organised a grand tournament in celebration of his ascension and as a means of gathering large parts of the nobility together. In an act of machismo designed to flaunt his martial ability and assert his power, Adam made the fateful mistake of choosing to take part in the contest himself. In personal combat with one of the Kingdom’s great champions he was slain – a great claymore splitting his skull open and instantly ending his life.

With that, Scotland’s briefest reign was over, and the Kingdom passed down to Adam’s eldest son, Murdoch.

Maybe his nickname is a corruption of 'Brice the Old'? :p

Spanish Armada is the cause, I imagine. That, and it being fairly absurd :p

This man has the right of it.

Perhaps, and I didn't realise the Armada was still a touchy subject haha :p.

I agree, considering some of the stuff that actually happened in the Middle Ages, I can see it as plausible.

Don't you think they'd be more busy fighting off Saracens or something? Invading England doesn't make much strategic sense if you ask me.

Well, there were no invasions involved here, just inheritance.

It's still something That Must Not Be. Britain shall be Scottish, not Asturian!

Yeah, the Spanish never invaded and made relatively minimal effort to replace the existing nobility. So long as they don't have to constantly fight us Scots, holding England isn't that big of a problem for them. But it does feel a little off :p.

Great stuff so far. Never followed a mega-campaign before.

Consider me subscribed.:)

Hope I can see this through to completion! :)

I didn't even know that Kings could actually take part in their own Tourneys-most unfortunate for such a renowned warrior.

Great update though

Also isn't it accede to the throne (accession)?

Man, what a way to die. Just like poor old Henry II of France! :(

Although I must say, I think Adam II's great legacy is the new dynastic beard of your rulers! These Scots mustn't know of the great invention known as the razor! :p