• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ankios

Major
69 Badges
Apr 2, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Hi everyone,

I must admit something, the game I will tell you about on this thread was not supposed to be an AAR. I just wanted to try once again something I often tried but never succeeded in : in a France game, being able to rebuild the French Empire without having in the mid/end - game several coalitions against me destroying everything I built in 50/60 years.

Eventually, against my own belief that I could not do it, I did it ! And probably lots of people in here did it too but I am proud of what I did :rofl:

In the same time, I thought dozens of time about writing an AAR. As I tried to play this game as historically plausible (in the idea of a successfull second French Empire of course !), I think what I have to say about it could be interesting.

So let's stop talking, you're not interested in those thoughts :D so let's talk history and game :cool:

A Victoria Revolution game, France, 1836 - 1936​

France's Glory ?

Drapeau_Francais.jpg

Settings :

Start : 1836
Difficulty : Very hard
AI : Agressive

Objectives : To recreate the French Empire Napoléon Ist built, while being as much as possible in respect of historical facts.

Important : English is not my first language. When you see some mistakes that I made in the Shakespeare's language, please tell me. I will make the corrections.

Important : the menu is updated regularly. You can find informations on happened or will happen with menu. If you already read all the AAR, you will not be spoiled even if those part are not published for the moment. Things I publish in the menu are only there if the characters spoke about it in the AAR already wrote or are used as a hint to make people come back here to read the AAR later ! If you did not already read the AAR, just begin with the first part and don't read other parts of the menu !

I) The last French King

1) The Benelux War of 1836
2) Louis-Philippe comes back in Benelux - 1837
3) The European situation in 1838
4) Louis-Philippe, a French "bower" in Chief in European Diplomacy
5) France in Magreb
6) France in the middle of the European liberal Revolutions

II) The early second Republic's elections
1) The Congressional election of 1848
2) The Presidential election of 1848 (Never written)

III) The conclusion (the AAR as never been finished)

During the late night of december 31st 1935, the former French Emperor is having a good new year's eve. His family and his closest friends are here with him.

After diner and a lot of wine, the huge family stays "alone". After that kind of day so much asked on by the medias, they wish to have some quiet time together.

However, the grand-son of the former Emperor is not on the same page. The seven years old boy decides to jump on his grand-father's kneels and ask him : "Coucou papy ! Hey why don't you tell me about when you were Emperor ? You always told me you would do it when I'll be a grown up. Hey I'm a big boy now !"

The former Emperor, Napoléon Bonaparte V, smiles and answer :

"Ho yeah ! You're a big boy. And you're right. I shall tell you about when I was Emperor".

"Great papy ! Were you a grand general ? Did you fought Prussians ?" said the boy with a big smile.

"Hey wow kid, don't you prefer me to begin when I actually became emperor ?"

"Yeah ! that must have been great ! A great palace ? Important people papy ? "

"Well, yes, but you know, for me it wasn't that great. It was december 1891. We just finished the 1891 war against Netherlands, and there were real sadness around..."

"A war ? what war are you talking about papy ? tell me please !!!"

Then the grand father began to realise he had to tell way more about France's history for the boy to understand everything.

"Hey, how about we talk not only about me, but also about my parents and grand parents ?

Actually it begins a hundred and fifty years ago. It was the civil war in France. The revolution, you know about the French revolution right ? Good. was very hard, and some began to think that our country could not survive all we had to go through. The year was 1796. Napoleon Bonaparte was a young French officer leading one of our armies in northern Italy. There, he became famous after winning several victories against Italians and Austrians.

A few years later, after lots of similar victories, he saved La France. The French decided through a "referendum" to have him as its Emperor.

Because of Napoléon I, France had some of it's most glorious days ! Unfortunately, the other European countries did not liked the creations France made at that time. And they were angry against Napoléon I.

So they decided to attack France in 1813. Napoleon had built a huge Empire by that time, but he ended defeated in 1814.

What he built and the prestige that France had with Napoléon, lots of French people wanted it back at that time. Our country suffered my boy. It was not good being a little kid during those years. And lots of people wanted a new Emperor to come back to lead France. Even if some of them didn't knew it at that time.

Then we arrive where we want to be. It was the beginning of the years 1836, a century ago ! The whole Europe was worried. There was a war going on between Belgium and the Netherlands. The Prussian Kingdom was interested by those countries, and England and the last king of France were worried of what could happen if the Prussian king decided to be interested in this war.

"It was January 1836, and Europe was worried because of the war in Belgium"​

Last edited:
January - August 1836 : War in Benelux

January - August 1836 : War in Benelux

This post is the first part of I) The last French King

Napoléon V continued :

"You see my boy, by that time, the situation was very tricky in Benelux. The king of Netherland wanted all the territories of benelux under his rule. The Belgians wanted to be independant. Prussia wanted to conquer Belgium and the United Kingdom and the French king wanted peace and no great power in this region. Or at least, the French did not wanted a great power other than France in this region.

In the first days of this war, the newly independant country (since 1830) was on the verge to lose. Netherland's troops had won several battles, and there were no more Belgian troops to stop the Netherlands before they enter into Brussels.

Louis-Philippe, the French King, could not accept the end of Belgium. For several weeks, the (at that time) weak French troops were on the French-Belgian border. In March 1836, the French troops crossed the border to stop the Netherlands armies.

In blue, movements of the French Royal armies. Blue dots are French victories. Black dots are French defeats against Netherlands.1 : Netherlands / 2: territories Prussia wanted to conquer / 3 : Belgium / 4 : Territories Belgium wanted from Netherlands / 5 : Luxembourg, a territory Louis-Philippe wanted to conquer​

However, this war did not go well. Our armies lost several battles like the Belgians. Some Netherlands' troops even enter into the French border and threatened Lille !

The king strategy was to divise it's armies in three groups : North, center and south. North and center never even saw the Netherlands' border ! However, the south group went through Luxembourg, "walked" on Netherlands' troops and even enter into Amsterdam.

But the war was still going very badly for the French. Some even began to think Paris could be invaded by this tiny country !

However the Netherlands' king now in Arnhem did not know France was considering defeat. So when in a desesperate attempt to save his image, Louis-Philippe proposed peace to his foe against Luxembourg the Neterland's king accepted it.

In France, at first, this was considered as great news. However, even if "officially" this war was a victory for France, it was in reality a tragedy. Netherlands won its war against Belgium. In December 1836, those two countries signed a treaty that forced France to come back in this region with its armies in early 1837.

In Blue, French conquest from the 1836 treaty. In green, Netherlands and its conquests. In red, the remaining territories of Belgium.

Last edited:
February - April 1837 : the Franco-Belgian war

This post is the second part of I) The last French King

"One thing is very important to understand, Louis-Philippe did not wanted to be considered as a warmonger. In his opinion, France suffured too much under the first Empire. He wanted to assure peace for our country. However, with Belgium, he had to act. It was clearly not possible for him to let a pro-Prussia country like Netherlands dominating Benelux.

And more. Against their previous promises, and when he was about to sign a treaty (that should have been named Treaty of London) with the United Kingdom to assure Belgium's independance, the UK simply decided to not sign this treaty and walk away from Benelux's problems.

With this situation, Louis-Philippe took the only decision he had left to be sure the rest of Belgium would not pass into pro-Prussia Netherlands' hands : annexing himself the remaining parts of this country.

414px-Louis-Philippe_de_Bourbon.jpg

Louis-Philippe, the last French King

In Februry 3rd 1837, our troops crossed the border one more time. This time however, they fought against the last remaining Belgian's troops. By February 17th, the whole Belgian army was destroyed. And on april 2nd, the remaining parts of this country were annexed."

In green, the Netherlands. In blue, pre-war France. In brown, the remaining parts of Belgium, annexed on April 2nd 1837.

"That is how Brussels became one of the most important cities in France in the XIXth century.

This annexion had international repercutions. First, the almost non-reaction of European leaders was a signal Louis-Philippe will not use. However, it will lead to a feeling of... more freedom to intervene in wars for France. And this have been used by my Grand-Father and my father.

Next to that, Prussia was the only country to react to this annexion. They garanteed Netherlands, and Netherlands claimed a right to rule those parts of Belgium the French King just annexed.

So my boy, it meant that war between France and Netherlands had to happen sooner or later. And Prussia had just said she would go to war side by side with Netherlands.

This difficult situation lasted until 1850.

Last edited:
Very interesting so far, especially the hints of future events (or maybe past events since they happened before 1935). Napoléon V sounds like he has had an adventurous life, if not always a happy one. :)

Very interesting so far, especially the hints of future events (or maybe past events since they happened before 1935). Napoléon V sounds like he has had an adventurous life, if not always a happy one. :)

Thanks for your appreciation RossN ! About Napoléon V, you don't want me to spoil you on his life do you ? ;) But yeah he did quite a lot, and he made some of the most important decisions for France during those hundred years !

And kingmbutu, you're right, French AARs are great, especially in Victoria, where this is not as easy as it is with Europa Universalis !

Last edited:
The European situation in 1838

This post is the 3rd part of I) The last French King
"Hey my boy, I just realized, did you ever studied how Europe was a century ago ?"

"A little Papy ! I think I heard a little about what you told me just before. It is still quite strange to hear people talking about Belgium and Netherlands like that. You know what those names mean to me grand daddy..."

"Yeah I do boy. You certainly can't imagine war when you go with your father in Amsterdam to see your little friend of your age the Netherland's prince !"

"He's so fun... you know last time we visited some parts of Amsterdam. They speak strangely but they are nice people."

"The Empire and our allies are full of different people you know. That's why I want to talk to you a little about Europe at that time. You will understand lots of things."

"In 1838, Europe was the place on earth where all the greatest and powerfullest countries were. You can't imagine how great it was at that time to be a European. But in Europe, things were bad on international politics. You know what international politics means ? Yeap that's it boy, it's relations between countries.

Did you see this map before ? Borders are almost the same as they were in 1815. Differences comes from recent wars in Benelux, independance of Greece (1821, that's a really important date for the Greeks you know... Like 1789 for us), and a little more anarchy in Italy.

Like today, relations were difficult between European countries. Like today, the UK was the strongest country in the world. Their policy was to keep "balance" in Europe. So no country could decide to make expansions after expansions because the UK would have just invaded them and recreated borders like before. Yeah you got it, we don't fear the UK that much today, especially since they lost that important war against Russia you studied last year. But at that time that was the reality.

Next to that, there were three really important countries : Prussia, the Austrian Empire and Russia. Those three were allied for years. In the late XVIII th century, together they annexed Poland, and then defeated - with the UK help - your ancestor Napoleon I in 1814 and 1815.

That was the UK politic in Europe. You don't get it ? Well, their idea of peace was having every great power in Europe with the same strength that other European countries have.

Simplier : the UK wanted France, Prussia, the Austrian Empire and Russia with exactly the same strength.

This was dumb. You know it was not possible seeing history. Lots of war happened, and the UK will has never been respected.

The problem was that even in 1838, even with a king - not an Emperor -, Europe was scared by France. The 1836 and 1837 wars have been seen as a wish to recreate the first Empire. Something we know today is clearly that Louis-Philippe never ever wanted that.

That is why he spent most of the last years of his rule trying to talk to other countries. He didn't try to protect French citizens because other countries told him they were afraid of him ! Can you believe that ?

But you seem tired my boy. I think you had enough for tonight. Yeah I know you're a big boy. But I am tired too. I'm not young like you anymore you know...

Hey, you know what, go to bed, tomorrow we have this lunch with homeless people in center of Paris with your parents, after I will tell you how Louis Philippe dealt with those European countries."

"I already know he was bad Papy"

"Boy, tomorrow you will hear my point of view, and a more complete analysis, not simple as what you just said. Have a good night kid."

Last edited:
Some of the best AARs were based on games never intended to be so :)

good update though this writing is hard to read

Is that better like that ?

Some of the best AARs were based on games never intended to be so :)

That's a really nice thing to say I hope this one will be considered like that in time :)

However I a little wonder why there is not much comments in here... On other AAR's there's always tons of comments right in the beggining... :confused: Am I doing something not right ? :confused:

Louis-Philippe, a French "bower" in Europe Diplomacy

Louis-Philippe, a French "bower" in Chief in European Diplomacy

This post is the 4th part of I) The last French King

"So, where were we yesterday. Ah oui. European politics by Louis-Philippe, our last king.

You do remember all the things I told you yesterday about the European situation right ? Great.

One thing is really important to understand is what the king did, and why he took those decisions. It is not as simple as saying he was bad. He had a vision of France. He wanted some things done the way he saw it right.

History showed us he was wrong on that issue on the long term effect. But at that time, did he really made the wrong calls ?

At that time, you have to remember France had terrible military defeats 23 years before. The whole Europe has been entirely reorganised by countries that hated us. In 1838, our army still clearly didn't match the one we had during the first Empire. And a coalised Europe was way much stronger than France.

Add to all of this that Louis-Philippe was a king of France. Kings have been thrown out by the French people two times in a very short period of time in 1792 and 1814. Both times it droved us to war against a Europe full of Kingdoms. It was not only that those countries feared France. They also didn't clearly believed Louis-Philippe and other kings could perpetuate indefinitely Monarchy in our country. And in a way they were right ! After all, you know that in 1848 Monarchy enfed, and we went back to be an empire in 1851. So European leaders were right, in a way.

So all of this put together explain the incredibly "pro European" policy Louis Philippe put in place.

Let's take a look to an other map I made for you to show you how were things.

The king maybe had some things we disagree with. However, one thing is sure, he cared deeply about France. That is why he took those decisions.

Watch carefully. In 1838, France had some friends, mostly in Italy. And the same time, it was clear that Prussia was a real threat to us. They were willing to conquer parts of France (Alsace-Lorraine region), and wanted to rule over the Benelux, I already told you about that.

In Louis-Philippe's mind, there also two other threats : Russia and the UK.

So his goal was to assure peace for France, because he knew a war against those three countries would have been a lost cause. The two wars in 1836 and 1837 had already lowered the way the UK saw him, and of course relations with Prussia was incredibly bad. Actually, he feared war like no one did at that time.

He spent almost all his time from 1838 to 1840 to rebuild relations with those three countries. On that he partially succeeded. Prussia's king became, not a close friend, but a real one. Russia didn't really care about France, so they accepted to have good relations without too much problem. And the UK, well that was the hard part. You see, English people didn't really had a bad opinion of the king. But they certainly were the one that wanted to block any return of a major French strength in Europe.

What did he gained from this ? Well, I told you, Russia didn't care. However, Prussia finished by not seeing France as a threat anymore. At least it is the common opinion today. And the UK, well, it seems that relations were really better : the UK finally began to just ignore France, because they saw its weak leader as a clear no threat to Europe. He was clearly weak for them. I again read an English newspaper on that last week. There were a private joke in London by that time :

"- Why don't we ask the French king to take an oath as a vassal to our Queen ?
- No can't do. He'd be willing to give up entirely its power. Victoria does not want to rule France."

Because of Louis-Philippe, France ended being seen as a lambda country in Europe. All the other powers saw it with smiles or kind of a friendship. We totally lost the last shred of respect we kept from the 1814 and 1815 defeats. But the king was good with it. Because in his mind, he protected France from war, whatever the cost."

"So, papy, he was bad, like I said yesterday !"

"Yeah, but what I wanted you to do is to look at the fact. Don't judge too easily and too quickly. Look at fact, and then give your opinion."

"I think I understand Papy. When I want to say someone is dumb, I must ask you to explain to me why he is before, right ?"

"It was not really my point boy ! Don't worry I will have new opportunities to re-explain that to you with history of France."

Last edited:
However I a little wonder why there is not much comments in here... On other AAR's there's always tons of comments right in the beggining... :confused: Am I doing something not right ? :confused:
You're doing nothing wrong. In actual fact, far more AARs only have a few comments than those which have a lot.

However, you have so far only 29 posts, and not much of a presence on the forum. The people who get a ton of comments are usually people who have spent some time establishing themselves, by writing several AARs and/or commenting themselves on other peoples work. This sometimes takes a long time.

I will say DON'T be disheartened by a lack of comments. In my first AAR (how I feel like an old man!) I hardly had any comments at all. Indeed, already you have more than I had back then. But keep plugging away, at this AAR and at others, and read and comment in other people's AARs, and the comments will come. Trust me on that :)

A very interesting AAR thus far! Let's see how far you will get... perhaps Napoleon himself will roll over in his grave if you make it past the Urals and Siberia! ;)

And on commenting, never take that to conscience. Most AARs never have more than four or five followers at a time. Plus, a handful of people are 'silent' followers. I know, I've had a lot of first hand experiences. Once your AAR continues to expand, the more people will bounce around and check it out. Keep up the fantastic work!

France in Maghreb

This post is the 5th part of I) The last French King

"Hey, kid, don't say things like that !"

Once again, the young grand-son said bad things about Louis-Philippe.

"I can't imagine you saying that. You know why ? Because the first and primary way to be a great leader is to understand how other people think. This is not what you do here !"

"Sorry Papy..."

"No. There is no sorry papy that I will allow. You wanted to know history, so please listen to what I say ! You will learn far more than in school you know if you keep listening to others.

For example, did you heard in school that Louis-Philippe began to build French territories in Africa ? Of course you do. My policies on that are still in place.

So Louis-Philippe began to build France in Africa. In 1839 and 1840, he conquered Algeria and Tunis.

This was what Maghreb looked like after Louis-Philippe invasions on Algeria and Tunis.

Kid please, I want you to understand that. This is reallyimportant. Why ? What do you mean why ? Just connect this to what I just told you about Louis-Philippe's European diplomacy.

yeah I know, I told you nothing about Africa before. I want you ti figure it out.
"

"hey Papy, was he a jerk in Europe to appear weak in Africa to conquer them easily ?"

Even knowing that private school system was better than a public one, the former Emperor was ashame of the too little things his grand-son knew about Louis-Philippe.

"Historians are not sure about that. Some say he gave the image of a weak king to be able to be free in North Africa. You must realise that at that time, France was economically dependant of other countries. Especially on basic ressources. The Maghreb gave us all the things we needed. to develop our industry.

No kid, you can't say that. At that time it was a great call to conquer those territories. And the kind did it with less than 10.000 troops ! For Algeria and Tunisia ! Can you believe it ?

Yeah, you're right. At that time, Maghreb was far more important to France. Currently, those goods we're extractiong from those territories are cheap. But at that time kid, there were not. So please, understand this. There were real needs the king wanted to adress in 1839 and 1840. I know you don't like him, and I didn't like his ideas back then, at least for what my father told me.

Please try to understand when you have to deal with international politics. There is good and evil you're right. But most of the time, it won't be that simple.

Hey to conclude that episode on Louis-Philippe, do you want to see pictures and painting of this territory ? Yeah I will conclude it now. Why ? Well I will talk to you about invasion of Morocco from 1845 I promise, But beside invading and briging peace to Algeria and Tunis, Louis-Philippe just exploited those territories without concern. You know it was different under the Empire right ? yeah you're right, the first railroad came under my father kid.

Hey what about watching those pictures ?

This one was when I was a kid. I went to Algier, you know the city. Yeah. Really nice place. But That was not my point so please shut up and listen. This was still a Christian church. I never went back there since 1899 so I can't tell you if it is still one, but as this is Louis-Philippe's son himself that inaugurated this former Mosque into a church, you see directly for France one of the good things our last king did.

And this one, yeap, close to Carthage, the former Roman and Phenician city in Tunisia.

I liked those times when I think back to when I was young.

But sorry, I don't want to bore you with a old man thoughts. Let's go back to the next subject : How France was, and how Louis-Philippe saw France. it will be one of the last time we will talk about Louis-Phillipe you know."

Last edited:
A very interesting AAR thus far! Let's see how far you will get... perhaps Napoleon himself will roll over in his grave if you make it past the Urals and Siberia! ;)

And on commenting, never take that to conscience. Most AARs never have more than four or five followers at a time. Plus, a handful of people are 'silent' followers. I know, I've had a lot of first hand experiences. Once your AAR continues to expand, the more people will bounce around and check it out. Keep up the fantastic work!

Thanks Volksmarschall I'll try to keep it up !! the thing is I am also an "silent" follower ! But I am always amazed that so much people are posting... That put pressure on me for my very first AAR ;)

And well I can tell you that Napoleon WILL roll over in his grave in this AAR ! :D But will it for bad ? Or for good ? let's see it in a few (numerous !) posts :D

(A hint about that ? After 1912 !!! :rofl:)

Last edited:
The first logical step in a new Empire

Vive la France. It sounds very interesting. I hope the French will take vengence and recreate a French Europe.

I'll follow this one (Maybe silent :D)

A very well-written AAR, an interesting read so far.:)

You should reestablish your control over England, as they belonged to Guillaume de Normandie, and Germany and Italy, as they belonged to Charlemagne de Aix-le-Chapel. They need to return to Franke!