France declares war over Burgundian inheritance on own overlord

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eruth

Hoi4 Modder
52 Badges
May 27, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Mate.
Mate.
Paradox mate.
This ain't neat.
In my current Savoy run I allied Austria at game start. Austria managed to get a PU over France sometime after Renaissance, and in 1495 they also got the Burgundian inheritance. The imperial incident went with 'Keep our Union with Burgundy'. I assumed this was just Austria getting a free Burgundy since, ya know, they already owned France. Nope.
20210226190004_1.jpg

As you can see, France actually declared war on Austria. You also tell that they were still under the PU when they did it since the French king was only inaugurated earlier this month when the declaration was sent.
This is very closely related to the other problem with this event where a France under English PU will declare over the inheritance without consulting or calling in England. If getting an automatic declaration event to work is so hard, just give France a special CB that either they or their overlord can use. Problem solved.

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Yeah the Burgundian Inheritance has a lot of weird edge cases and bugs.

No doubt they just used the standard Paradox method of testing it once and ignoring all bug reports, and just moved on to the next dlc. For profits!

• 6Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
Yeah the Burgundian Inheritance has a lot of weird edge cases and bugs.

No doubt they just used the standard Paradox method of testing it once and ignoring all bug reports, and just moved on to the next dlc. For profits!
Nah they used the dev clash to balance it
Mate.
Mate.
Paradox mate.
This ain't neat.
In my current Savoy run I allied Austria at game start. Austria managed to get a PU over France sometime after Renaissance, and in 1495 they also got the Burgundian inheritance. The imperial incident went with 'Keep our Union with Burgundy'. I assumed this was just Austria getting a free Burgundy since, ya know, they already owned France. Nope.
View attachment 686561
As you can see, France actually declared war on Austria. You also tell that they were still under the PU when they did it since the French king was only inaugurated earlier this month when the declaration was sent.
This is very closely related to the other problem with this event where a France under English PU will declare over the inheritance without consulting or calling in England. If getting an automatic declaration event to work is so hard, just give France a special CB that either they or their overlord can use. Problem solved.
How did France fall into PU with Austria, French King died young and Austria contested provence inheriting?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I still maintain the new Burgundian Inheritance is broken in so many ways that it actually puts me off playing in Europe.

I wish Paradox would just revert to how it was before or at least modified it a bit.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I wish Paradox would just revert to how it was before or at least modified it a bit.
I don't, because I remember how it was, and you could literally improve the game by just deleting it entirely.

There are some quirky corner cases like the OP that need work, though.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Honestly, in this specific case I don’t see the problem. If France gets screwed by Austria (or any overlord) this hard and they seriously upset the balance between Vienna and Paris, they’d probably launch a revolt. It would definitely require extra flavor and for Austria to retain the union upon victory (not white peace, I personally think the overlord should have to be strong enough to force the rebellion to submit instead of regaining it by default; maybe give them a CB lasting for 30 years if they white peace?) to have it not feel like an overlooked edge case.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Can we abuse this in any meaningful way? Play as France, get ourselves under a PU and re-roll until Austria gets the lowlands and the event pops up for you to declare war on Austria.

What can we do with this information????

Reactions:
Can we abuse this in any meaningful way? Play as France, get ourselves under a PU and re-roll until Austria gets the lowlands and the event pops up for you to declare war on Austria.

What can we do with this information????
This isn't about top strats for pro gamers, this is me asking Paradox to fix a poor design decision they made.

• 2Like
Reactions: