• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
:D Well, this alternate one is proving a little different: Vive la France!
Tsk tsk, did the French suddenly become the dominant culture or language in the world again? Im sure the Commonwealth and US will be gracious enough to give the French war effort a small footnote in their epic histories of how they won the war (with a bit of help from each other and a lot of inadvertent aid from those 'crazy' Italians).
Still, I think it's better than being the butt of military jokes for the next century or so, deserved or not.

Where did those large German stacks that sat forever in front of you go?
I think mainly to the Eastern Front but also some to Italy: a number of pz divs are already showing up there, more could be in transit. Because I’m writing this from the French/Allied perspective I haven’t been peeking. ;)

I think mainly to the Eastern Front but also some to Italy: a number of pz divs are already showing up there, more could be in transit. Because I’m writing this from the French/Allied perspective I haven’t been peeking. ;)
I guessed that but wondered if you always had the partisan-blight.:)

You can peek, since you are only a combat-reporter now. :) But since you already have two massive AARs? "A wise grasshopper...no peek.";)

France is doing so well - after the AAR you must give an overview and tips for playing as France.

I guessed that but wondered if you always had the partisan-blight.:)

You can peek, since you are only a combat-reporter now. :) But since you already have two massive AARs? "A wise grasshopper...no peek.";)
I know, I’d actually thought about doing it a few times, but then there’s always the next episode of this to do, or playing and writing up the other two, or indeed reading and commenting on the fine work of others - like your Bitter Fruit :) Re partisans, no, they’ve only popped up recently, as illustrated. The poor old Poles have risen but suffered the normal fate :(

But mainly, it’s from trying to give the same perspective I had when playing, as if (from the ‘camera’s perspective’), the game was still being played. But I have an idea ...
France is doing so well - after the AAR you must give an overview and tips for playing as France.
Thanks my friend. Perhaps at the end I’ll summarise my thoughts on what I felt worked best. And may do a few flashbacks to key points and show things from the German perspective (something I never looked at while playing or after I finished, so it would be interesting for me too).

But while the memory is a little rusty now, I do recall sitting down “with pen and pencil”, or spreadsheet anyway ;) ) and trying to work out the minimum forts I thought I’d need by May 1940 to extend the Maginot Line west to where I chose my defence. I also tried to work out how many infantry divisions I thought I’d need to be able to hold that line myself, plus armour and mot for counter-attacking expected breakthrough attempts, and enough MTN divisions to be able to hold safely against Italy. The fact that Britain sent a decent EF really helped, but I hadn’t banked on it, though did set an Allied objective early on.

Research and production I’ve illustrated in general, but basically at first it was heavily focused on just the units, forts etc I needed for the initial defence. Not much else, except for a heavy emphasis also on officer training, which I tried to get as high as possible.

Strategically, you can see the plan: basically, not to be sucked into Belgium and use forts to help bolster existing river lines, enough coverage for every front line province and reserves to rotate through when a serious attack is made.

I do recall sitting down “with pen and pencil”, or spreadsheet anyway ;)
I second that reminder. I get used to the keyboard and forget, depending on what Is needed, it is hard to beat the old-fashioned tools for planning the plan.:D

And for playing Hoi3/4 in general. ;)
Well, happy to discuss HOI3, though I by no means consider myself an expert (only really started playing it seriously in 2016). But I have never played HOI4. :confused: Maybe I will one day, but I went back in time to CK2.

The pace of your updates continues to impress me. I think that your lack of detailed data makes this feel as if you're a historian delving into some secondary source far into the future trying to discern what happened in the 1940's in France...
On another note, you also couldn't resist the lure of Carriers and Amphibious assault capabilities, although I have to admit that it still makes more sense for France than for the Soviet Union...
Congrats on the great advances France has made since I last checked in on this AAR.

The pace of your updates continues to impress me. I think that your lack of detailed data makes this feel as if you're a historian delving into some secondary source far into the future trying to discern what happened in the 1940's in France...
On another note, you also couldn't resist the lure of Carriers and Amphibious assault capabilities, although I have to admit that it still makes more sense for France than for the Soviet Union...
Congrats on the great advances France has made since I last checked in on this AAR.
Thanks for the comments: very perceptive, as that is how I have been feeling about it myself :). I guess that has come through in the writing. I think I have now hit on a reasonable formula for the updates, and will keep trying to push them along when I get the chance. But I now need to turn to Talking Turkey again, where I’m playing through the next few weeks. But work and RL are busy at the moment - how dare they get in the way of the AARs! :p

I know the feeling, it's been so long since I've either been a) able to advance my game, or b) able to input the data I have into my database. Super annoying.

I think the tipping point has tipped, Italy is looking perilously close to collapse and the Allies are over the border and into Germany proper. I suppose it is possible that the Soviets collapse (it would be a stupid decision for them to make given the wider war, but when has the HOI3 AI ever pretended to be sensible) but if they can hang on then things are set fair.

There is always the Far East I suppose, but sitting on the defensive behind the South China Seas while Japan exhausts itself running around the Pacific is not a bad plan. The entire theatre is a bit of a side show compared to the threat from Germany.

I think the tipping point has tipped, Italy is looking perilously close to collapse and the Allies are over the border and into Germany proper. I suppose it is possible that the Soviets collapse (it would be a stupid decision for them to make given the wider war, but when has the HOI3 AI ever pretended to be sensible) but if they can hang on then things are set fair.

There is always the Far East I suppose, but sitting on the defensive behind the South China Seas while Japan exhausts itself running around the Pacific is not a bad plan. The entire theatre is a bit of a side show compared to the threat from Germany.
I believe you have the right of there, El Pip. The next episode is in the pipeline and should be out soon. But mini-spoilers, there are twists and turns ;)

Episode 22: 26 October and 4 November 1943
Episode 22: 26 October and 4 November 1943

We start four days after the last report, where the offensive in Belgium had encroached into the Netherlands and Germany, while progress continued to be made in northern and southern Italy.

26 October 1943

For this save point, we’ll take a quick look at a few battles and events. The more comprehensive summary of all active fronts will be done after the 4 November round-up.

We pick up the story after the conclusion of several battles, but none currently in progress on the Western Front. However, a number of major post-battle Allied advances are in progress. We will look at a few of them. First, the battle for Dordrecht observed in the last report has been won, with Allied forces advancing and the German defenders retreating to Gouda.

744AEl.jpg

Münchengladbach was seized and, from there, the German defenders in Köln have now been sent on their way, with a strong Allied column advancing. And yes, that is a division of American paratroopers in Brussels!

W2JS1M.jpg

Allied forces in Trier are advancing to Bonn, where Romanian defenders have been evicted and to Saarbrücken, following successful attacks. Three other French columns to the south that had also participated in that attack are also closing in, including from Saarlouis which had already been seized since 22 October.

7O9AYW.jpg

In Northern Italy, more Axis reinforcements are arriving. They have been attacking Cremona with the 10th Pz Div: while it is tiring, there are more Axis (mainly Italian) units arriving.

jmydJA.jpg

The French progress further south continues though, with an attack in progress on Sassuolo.

RdOica.jpg

And here is a bit of a surprise: a hopeful raid (by one ordinary INF division) has been launched on Naples! Can’t recall the precise thinking on that one now – but the odds aren’t looking good.

XKpiSj.jpg

The slow advance in southern Italy continues, with an attack being pressed on the German forces defending Cosenza.

PszvSK.jpg

The Danish underground fights on. They have diverted quite a few Axis divisions, but are inevitably losing ground. France has requested a US landing to assist them, but it is unlikely to be heeded.

qiY9xN.jpg

In general terms, this is the situation in Western Europe, including surrender progress for France’s two main enemies.

BqiRC6.jpg

4 November 1943

Eight days later, more progress has been made in the fight against Fascism. First, a broad overview of the Western Front. A large segment of the Netherlands has been liberated, including Amsterdam. Solid progress has been made into Germany proper, with the forces on the northern stretch of the Maginot Line joining in.

dUY8Tc.jpg

Many attacks are in progress, so rather than a detailed summary of each, current progress is indicated. There is only one Axis attack occurring – in Kleve – but it is not a large threat. The Allied attacks are proceeding well enough.

ufaTlM.jpg

But we have managed to catch a large French air mission in progress for once, supporting a large ground attack on Landau. We can see the toll air operations is still taking on the French Air Force.

TrICga.jpg

But to the south of Landau, the rest of the Maginot Line remains quiet – though the Siegfried Line is starting to look a bit thin!

1KIxgz.jpg

In north Italy, the Italians joined in the attack on Cremona and have now occupied it – part of a three-province-wide Axis counter-offensive. Their attack on Mantova (Mantua) had just been repelled with heavy losses, but their attack on Modena continues. We will have a closer look at that one, as it is at an interesting stage, but the one on Firenze (taken in the last little while) is too weak to worry about. To the south of the line, the Italians have been broken and their line is wide open – a new mech div is being sent, but the French don’t have enough forces on hand to fully exploit with strength – but they rush forward and take the chance anyway – they would love to seize Rome before it can be properly garrisoned!

gl6rpG.jpg

The Battle of Modena features two exhausted front line divisions and two fresh ones in reserve – it will all depend on whether one or both can reinforce. The Allies have their noses in front, however.

g204TW.jpg

In southern Italy, Cosenza was taken but is being counter-attacked by von Manstein and his 3 Pz Div! Two other Allied divisions have already been forced to retreat and the French 81st Inf Div is reaching the end of its endurance. But if they can hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive (including the French 6th Armd Div), the day may yet be saved. Though yet more Axis reinforcements can be seen arriving from the north to contest this ‘shoestring’ operation. The Germans have been beaten in Rossano, where the Allies advance from Crotone. Nothing more is seen of that raid on Naples.

Lj4h6J.jpg

Sadly, the Danish uprising has almost been defeated. They are simply too far away for the main Allied advance to relieve them.

Ez87pk.jpg

The Germans continue to hold a swathe of Soviet territory, though are not making any more large inroads.

NbT8p3.jpg

Italian surrender progress has not changed, but Germany’s is now over 30%.

BsRS80.jpg

The Far East is the usual tale of woe for the Soviets.

dOOS7z.jpg

And Japan continues to take islands of the US, this time south of Hawaii.

qPdjsv.jpg

No changes in South East Asia, Australia or the South-West Pacific.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It looks so tempting to divert a few units from the German frontier to Italy to take advantage of the stretched Axis forces there - and to hopefully catch everything in the trunk of Italy between two vices.

Funnily enough, I can see and Anglo French Union happening with much greater odds than in OtL, despite neither nation being ruined. They've stood together for years now, fighting and dying over their countries. I can deffinteyl see a strong French and British alliance and union forming here, if not officially then in every other way.

The us however contue to suck at fighting in the Pacific. Maybe they will be the butt monkeys of history jokes for a change?

No, not the Christmas Islands! NOOOOOO!

Have they taken the Land-Down-Under yet? HEHEHe! :D