• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm guessing that in an almost Guadalcanal-style situation, the US Navy has once again put forces ashore and then promptly withdrawn from the fight. Not the best showing, Squids.
Yes, and a MOT division in New Guinea, no less! :confused:o_O

Feels like something almost unthinkable might be in the offing.

Have a good few days away.

It's a tense battle in Lae so I looked into our two generals. Kitajima was apparently the IJA's premier expert on artillery, so is obviously commanding marines. Dahlquist is one of those slightly dodgy US generals who got lots of their own men killed through ineptitude but somehow kept their job. A classic Paradox matchup, but my money is on Kitajima as he didn't bring lorries to the jungle.

It's a tense battle in Lae so I looked into our two generals. Kitajima was apparently the IJA's premier expert on artillery, so is obviously commanding marines. Dahlquist is one of those slightly dodgy US generals who got lots of their own men killed through ineptitude but somehow kept their job. A classic Paradox matchup, but my money is on Kitajima as he didn't bring lorries to the jungle.
Nice research - thanks for adding a frill the AAR itself is pledged not to volunteer itself: the extra content is appreciated. :cool: For some days now, Lae has been the only battle the Allies have been involved in anywhere in the world!

Feels like something almost unthinkable might be in the offing.

Have a good few days away.
The next episode will focus on such plans and positioning.

And thanks: it has already been an enjoyable weekend, visiting my Mum, and we just saw Hugo Weaving last night in the lead role of Brecht’s Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui: a devastating parable about the times we are considering in this period. It was brilliant, funny and horrible! And still relevant, of course, humans being what we are. :(

Then discovered when discussing it afterwards that she was at Bristol University after the war (which I already knew, of course) at the same time as Hugo’s father (which I didn’t). She remembers Hugo’s father very well as the leading light of the student dramatic society! Became a doctor, then came out to Australia, living not too far from her in Sydney. Rang him once (in the early eighties or roundabouts) to say how fondly she recalled his old stage exploits and to say how well she thought young Hugo was doing in his (then) early career! Priceless. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then discovered when discussing it afterwards that she was at Bristol University after the war (which I already knew, of course) at the same time as Hugo’s father (which I didn’t). She remembers Hugo’s father very well as the leading light of the student dramatic society! Became a doctor, then came out to Australia, living not too far from her in Sydney. Rang him once (in the early eighties or roundabouts) to say how fondly she recalled his old stage exploits and to say how well she thought young Hugo was doing in his (then) early career! Priceless. :)
Very nice little story!

I went to school in Bristol (Colstons'), but I have to say I don't have especially fond memories of the place. Despite living only an hour away these days I have managed to avoid stepping foot inside the city for about ten years (a training course for work on the outskirts notwithstanding).

Very nice little story!

I went to school in Bristol (Colstons'), but I have to say I don't have especially fond memories of the place. Despite living only an hour away these days I have managed to avoid stepping foot inside the city for about ten years (a training course for work on the outskirts notwithstanding).
Heh! Mum went to uni there, but was from Pompey. Their shop got bombed by the Germans. She was evacuated for a while (to Salisbury) but was back to see the D-Day build-up and then, the morning of the landings, a suddenly virtually empty port! They knew something was on before the announcements. Some close calls too with the bombings - Portsmouth caught it pretty hard.

The thing I recall her talking about most from ‘Bristow’ is the Scrumpy! :eek:

All this talk is making me wish to be back in England... back to the story!

All this talk is making me wish to be back in England... back to the story!
Well, I’m travelling back home today, so at least I should be able to get the next episode out in the next little while. Though it won’t involve either Bristol or Scrumpy! It should be interesting though, I hope! :)

Episode 37: 21 March 1944
Episode 37: 21 March 1944

We resume four days after the last update, with France’s diplomatic options unchanged. This update will concentrate on the hardening lines in Eastern Europe – the solidifying boundary between Free Democratic Europe (the Allies) and the authoritarian Communist Soviet Union (the Comintern). Allied forces also gather near the Greek border – in order to be able to ‘protect’ them from Soviet aggression, if necessary.

As he sits in his office in the Élysée Palace, de Gaulle is given his usual dispatch box full of reports – he begins to work through them.

Europe

The general summary map of European dispositions. The newly joined or liberated Allied nations are beginning to gather significant forces. They have been directed to concentrate them mainly on the border with the Soviets. The map also contains a symbol in the top left corner, indicating there are still forces on the territory of the Soviet Union that must be withdrawn, which is proving a slow process.

qnVIPz.jpg

Significant German forces are now concentrating in East Prussia, while the Soviet likewise reinforce their border. A French-led taskforce concentrates in reserve, in Konigsberg.

83uHCQ.jpg

The Polish frontier is currently far more porous. Germany and Slovakia have also been given areas to assist with the defence of the border, and most of the Polish forces are actually still German EFs. It looks like this part of the line would need considerable Allied reinforcement to be strong, though the Soviet garrison also remains comparatively light in that sector too,

D4iQmJ.jpg

The Hungarian border is a bit more solid, with a few Hungarian divisions and a fairly strong French-Allied force in place (which was already in the vicinity on VE Day).

zXlhk3.jpg

The tortuous Romanian sector is gradually becoming filled out on both sides but remains spread out and confused. A sizeable Yugoslavian force has also begun to assemble.

USlQop.jpg

The Greek border is now strongly garrisoned, given the majority of the Allied Balkan spearhead was already in the vicinity when Romania and Bulgaria were defeated. Greece must be made safe for democracy (being the home of it, after all)!

SlPCBg.jpg

Asia-Pacific

South East Asia, the Central Pacific and the Soviet Far East front again remain unchanged. But, because it relates to the strategic situation of the Soviets, the current Far East map is included anyway.

A4FJgI.jpg

In Indo-China, the same three Japanese divisions sighted earlier continue to slowly work their way south. "Always three there are. No more, no less."

qkhfRr.jpg

Sadly, the brave but futile defence of Lae is over.

N0GyDo.jpg

The Japanese advance in Eastern Australia is slowing a little and does not seem to have been reinforced, though large areas are now not visible to Allied intelligence. But in New Zealand, the US intervention has made a difference.

NeTitJ.jpg

Melbourne is now solidly defended, though by no means safe. But the Japanese have not approached any closer yet.

U0jgqf.jpg

On the North Island, the Kiwi capital of Wellington has been liberated by the US 6th Marine Div.

Hh7gwT.jpg

Diplomatic Dispatches

As the President gets to the bottom of the dispatch box, he comes to two sealed envelopes marked ‘Top Secret – For the President’s Eyes Only’. He opens the first.

The French Foreign Minister advises that the Soviets are – perhaps not surprisingly – still wildly alarmed at the threat posed to them by Germany. Even if they are now part of the Allies and, as part of the German surrender, all land previously conquered by them was returned and they got to hang onto the Baltic States and those parts of Poland ceded to them under the Nazi-Soviet Pact of 1939. Also, as some French/Allied troops still remain on Soviet territory, under international law a declaration of war on the Soviets as yet remains off the table.

HBKqiT.jpg

A simple cable received from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office at 11am that morning has also been received. Simple, but remarkable.

y57in9.jpg

Comment: Yes, that’s right, without tagging and just acting off their own wonderful AI volition, the British made an offer to Greece to join the Allies, which was accepted. And, just in case my memory failed me, I was able to get this report reproduced (of course no screenshots had been taken during the game and the save was done after Greece had joined the Allies) by just playing the previous save through and waiting for it to pop up.

Once again, the best AI ally I’ve ever had in an HOI3 game had come through at the ideal time, doing exactly what I would have wanted them to do. I was seriously considering an invasion of Greece, especially as the option to attack the Soviets and quickly grab Romania was off the table and taking down Japan for the twelfth victory condition could have been quite a long process. Especially with US quiescence.

The Greek Government is welcomed warmly into the Allies, whom they join as a free and willing partner (without the requirement for a ‘forced merger’ and puppeting into the Warsaw Pact)!

y98VDq.jpg

And here is the new political map of Europe, most of which is now free and democratic under the Allied banner.

wa3o9e.jpg

Having read these documents through carefully, de Gaulle calls a special Cabinet meeting to advise his reaction to this news. He utters one simple phrase:

“La Victoire!”

JhuP7G.jpg

As I’ve found no way to get a screen shot or print screen of the Victory Panel, I resorted to taking a photo of it. That will have to do!

A peace approach is put to the Japanese Embassy in Switzerland: the Allies suggest a truce in place and the start of Allied-Japan peace talks in Geneva. The Soviets are not invited.

Now, a final small frill in what has been a no-frills AAR approach, to mark the end of this story.

₣₣₣₣₣

Soon after he met with his Cabinet, de Gaulle prepares to address a massive crowd that has been gathered in the Champs Élysée, on word from the Government that an historic announcement will be made. The President will let them know that the Second World War is over for them, it having ended in victory for France and her Allies. He starts his address the best way he knows how:

“The war has been won. This is victory. It is the victory of the United Nations and that of France.

While the rays of glory once again lend brilliance to our flags, the country turns its thoughts and affection first of all toward those who died for her and then toward those who in her service struggled and suffered so much. Not one single act of courage or self-sacrifice of her sons and daughters, not one single hardship of her captive men and women, not one single bereavement and sacrifice, not one single tear will have been wasted in vain.

In the national rejoicing and pride, the French people send brotherly greetings to their gallant Allies, who, like themselves and for the same cause, have sustained so many hardships over such a long period, to their heroic armies and to those commanding them, and to all those men and women who, throughout the world, fought, suffered and worked so that the cause of liberty and justice might ultimately prevail.

Honour, eternal honour, to our armies and their leaders. Honour to our nation, which never faltered, even under terrible trials, nor gave in to them. Honour to the United Nations, which mingled their blood, their sorrows and their hopes with ours and who today are triumphant with us.

Long live France!”*

* A lightly edited speech de Gaulle delivered in OTL on the defeat of Germany in 1945.

The United Nations Headquarters would, of course, be built in Paris, the de-facto capital of a new united and democratic Europe. Even if some odious left-overs (one in particular) retained power due to strange peace agreements!

₣₣₣₣₣

Author's Endnote: So, the game ended in a French-led new Democracy World Order on 21 March 1944. Ourah! To very briefly recap:
  • After the halting of the German attack on France in 1940, the main Western Front stayed basically static for most of the next three years.
  • The Soviets and Germany went to war on 3 June 1943.
  • By 11 August, enough German forces had been diverted to the east to embolden the Allies to launch their long awaited strategic counter-offensive.
  • After a tough start, progress accelerated as 1943 wore on.
  • Italy surrendered on 13 January 1944.
  • This opened the floodgates: Germany soon collapsed, with Berlin being taken and Germany surrendering on 9 February 1944, with German-occupied Poland liberated the same day.
  • The Axis minor powers of central Europe and the Balkans then fell in quick succession, all yielding to the fast-moving French-led Allies by 14 March 1944 – except for Romania, which was occupied by the Soviets and divided into Allied and Soviet zones.
  • After a week of post-war manoeuvring, Greece accepted the United Kingdom’s invitation to join the Allies, completing the victory of the Democratic World Order at 11am on 21 March 1944.

And that is it, folks, with the victory target attained, I stopped right there. No Operation Unthinkable. No cynical invasion of Greece required to force them into the Allies. Japan left to its own devices.

One can easily (if superficially) rationalise things away. Perhaps they made a negotiated peace with the Allies, returning any Allied territories seized by them. After all, there was never any Pearl Harbour for the US to avenge in this time line - they hardly participated in the war and simply lost a few small Pacific islands - and their Philippine puppet. Or maybe some concessions were made to the Japanese, who remain on top in their sphere - though would inevitably be overpowered by the triumphant United Nations.

Perhaps they even keep fighting the Soviets - with the West's acquiescence, if not blessing; even participation, to 'liberate' the rest of Poland, Romania, Finland and the Baltic States from the evils of Communism. Or maybe the negotiations were rejected by the Japanese or failed and the Allies would bend their considerable weight on the Japanese to defeat them relatively speedily.

The answers to these questions remain hypothetical. What I can tell you is, after having scratched this itch I had felt since I first played HOI1 and finally actually won as France, I started playing the Turkey game that turned into my first (and still extant) AAR soon after this happy ending. I had sipped from the Holy Grail and found the draught sweet and satisfying.

“La Victoire! Vive la France! Vive les Nations Unies”

Happy to take any questions or comments!

Note: The game automatically includes Expeditionary Forces as part of the brigade roster of the the country they are allocated to. So French strength (certainly) and some others are a distorted by that. For example, Britain would be significantly higher, France lower. But this gives a rough view, anyway.

YCT3R2.jpg

Navy list (not affected in that way).

Ee6wl4.jpg

And Air units.

FiV0d8.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Good for Greece! :D

What a game! It had it all, thrills, coups de théâtre, and desperate races to the finishing line! I suspect Japan would soon be forced into peace negociations, as both the Soviets and the United Allied Nations are now in a position to exert considerable pressure on the Imperial government.

I guess the only thing I'd really love to see is your recreation of a post-war Europe- who gets what spoils and how territories are altered and such. :p

Same here. Be interesting to see what happens!

Yes, that’s right, without tagging and just acting off their own wonderful AI volition, the British made an offer to Greece to join the Allies, which was accepted. And, just in case my memory failed me, I was able to get this report reproduced (of course no screenshots had been taken during the game and the save was done after Greece had joined the Allies) by just playing the previous save through and waiting for it to pop up.

Once again, the best AI ally I’ve ever had in an HOI3 game had come through at the ideal time, doing exactly what I would have wanted them to do. I was seriously considering an invasion of Greece, especially as the option to attack the Soviets and quickly grab Romania was off the table and taking down Japan for the twelfth victory condition could have been quite a long process. Especially with US quiescence.

Not just the best ally in HOI. One of the best I've ever seen on the forum. The only thing that would be better is if they somehow convinced the US not only to join the Allies but invade Japan and Russia from the East whilst you fight from the west. But yeah...at that point, Japan I think would take a deal, knowing that pretty much everyone on the planet was about to come after them. Still, leaving them and Russia to fight for a bit probably would be best. That maybe would be the concession Japan would demand and the Allies would accept. It won't last of course, Japan is far too weak to fend off that alliance for long, especially at sea. But they may be kept alive long enough to make Russia suffer for a bit.

A very good AAR challenge and one with surprising ups and downs no one I think saw coming. Good job.

Victory at last! And with the AI doing its fair share? An oddly fitting end to this AAR that truly captures the spirit of Allied cooperation in this time of trial and tribulation!

I must ask, now, if our esteemed authAAR will be adding a new AAR to his portfolio, now that this one has its happy ending, in order to maintain his own "Rule of Three"? :p

Well done the AI! And considering the British help during the difficult days of '39 and '40 very appropriate British diplomacy carries you over the line now.

Overall a very enjoyable AAR.

Any plans for another AAR or do you plan to focus on the one you are still working on? :D

Victory at last! And with the AI doing its fair share? An oddly fitting end to this AAR that truly captures the spirit of Allied cooperation in this time of trial and tribulation!

I must ask, now, if our esteemed authAAR will be adding a new AAR to his portfolio, now that this one has its happy ending, in order to maintain his own "Rule of Three"? :p

Any plans for another AAR or do you plan to focus on the one you are still working on? :D
Will do a fuller feedback response once a few more have come in, but for now, am planning to power ahead with my other two AARs: this one was a 'holiday project', which I have enjoyed doing but I found it was taking up time from the others (even though it was basic and didn't actually require me to play the game, which was long finished). I do have a project or two in mind, but will wait to see whether I do them at the same time as the other two, or perhaps wait a bit. :)