• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sharkeyyyy

Captain
45 Badges
Dec 5, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Windows 10, running vanilla EUIV on steam. It has run fine in the past. After starting a new campaign and without un-pausing the game stutters. The cloud/sea movement jumps every two seconds.

I currently have EUIV set up using version 1.29.6 for use with the MEIOU&T submod, though the problem persists without any mods.

I recently upgraded my monitor, and I was trying to play with the resolution and refresh rate to see if it helped the issue. I can not change the refresh rate, and can only change the resolution through the launcher. The issue persists.

I have tried using windowed and borderless windowed mode. The issue persists.

DxDiag attached.

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Updated to latest GPU drivers, clean installed latest version of EUIV and ran it on lowest possible settings, no borders/clouds/detail etc. The stuttering still persists.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    77,8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When did the game last run okay for you, and what change or update occurred between then and the first time it had this problem?

Does this also affect CK2?

Please update that nVidia driver:

And your Windows 10 has had no major updates applied for over 2 years. I suggest you run the Updater app and look for a new Win10 version - not an update or patch, a whole new version. Apply that, reboot, run the Updater ... keep doing that until completely up to date. Boring I know but you have quite some catching up to do!

If you still have a problem then please attach a new dxdiag, plus:
Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ in the main game menu
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Reactions:
I've downloaded the latest driver that the Nvidia GeForce Experience Software I have downloaded will let me. The website does not have an option on the drop down list for a GTX 550 Ti, only 500M and 500.

The problem does not appear when playing CKII.

I'll try and update my windows but my internet connection sucks.

Thanks for the help, I hope we can find out what the issue is.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    78,4 KB · Views: 0
  • SpeedFan_Desktop.JPG
    SpeedFan_Desktop.JPG
    51,7 KB · Views: 0
  • SpeedFan_InGame.JPG
    SpeedFan_InGame.JPG
    51,7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Updated my drivers from the link. The problem persists.

I can't change the refresh rate in game, could that be something to do with it ?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    78,3 KB · Views: 0
That depends in what display mode you are running. For windowed mode the game must use the same refreshRate as your Windows desktop.

No chance of applying that updated Windows version I assume?

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Reactions:
I've tried changing the refresh rate on all three window modes and I can't make the refresh rate change. When I swap between 1920x1080 and the resolutions on either side of it in the options the refresh rate selects 25 Hz as standard instead of 60 Hz and when I select apply it forces it to 60 Hz. This happens in all window modes.

I don't have a spare hard drive to back up all of my files to at the moment and my internet connection speed is very bad. Applying the update is the last thing I want to do as I have lost many files in the past to update problems.

I really appreciate your help, I don't know what has caused this.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    259 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    4,7 KB · Views: 0
Those three files all show fullScreen 1920x1080 at 60 hz. Where exactly are you seeing other values, in the launcher or the game?

Reactions:
Those three files all show fullScreen 1920x1080 at 60 hz. Where exactly are you seeing other values, in the launcher or the game?

I load the game, start a campaign, and open the video settings. On that screen I swap between the resolutions with the buttons and when I swap back to 1920x1080 it shows 25 Hz. I hit apply and restart and when I go back into the same menu it shows 1920x1080 with 60 Hz.

According to that system.log both 25hz and 30hz are supported at that resolution. I can't really explain why they won't stick, if you are in fullScreen.

But your thinking is doing that would help you with your visible stuttering issue, is that right?

Reactions:
According to that system.log both 25hz and 30hz are supported at that resolution. I can't really explain why they won't stick, if you are in fullScreen.

But your thinking is doing that would help you with your visible stuttering issue, is that right?

Yes, I thought it was something to do with the frame rate so I was trying to change it, and it wouldn't work.

I have updated my operating system to the latest patch.

The issue still persists.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    78,1 KB · Views: 0
No obvious problem in there. What fps are you seeing?

Reactions:
When the game stutters I can't see a change, I think the FPS program might be freezing alongside the game and so it doesn't show a drop.
I've never seen that ever ... it does not change the tiniest bit? Because if so that seems to mean you are getting 0 fps. Which needless to say is not a known issue with this game! Frankly not sure what to look at from here on that ... I don't often look at this but I see your Bios is 10 years old. How do you feel about looking for and applying an update to that?

Reactions:
I've never seen that ever ... it does not change the tiniest bit? Because if so that seems to mean you are getting 0 fps. Which needless to say is not a known issue with this game! Frankly not sure what to look at from here on that ... I don't often look at this but I see your Bios is 10 years old. How do you feel about looking for and applying an update to that?

Maybe I was reading the FPS counter wrong, I couldn't get it to show up as an overlay on the clip I took.

Yeah I'll try and update the BIOS. Could it be an issue with my hard drive ? If so, how would I check for that ?

Thanks

Hard to see how the hard disk could cause this - of all the possible candidate hardware what makes you mention that? Do you have some other problem with it?

More likely hardware causes would be the GPU, VRam, the PSU, or the cooling system.

Reactions:
Hard to see how the hard disk could cause this - of all the possible candidate hardware what makes you mention that? Do you have some other problem with it?

More likely hardware causes would be the GPU, VRam, the PSU, or the cooling system.

I'm just throwing it out there, no reason. I reverted to v 1.25.1 and it works fine, no lag at all. I'm working my way through the patches to find where the issue starts.

Thanks

Edit: I picked random patches up to and including the latest - no problems now. I can not understand what has changed. I will keep testing it but it all seems fine now.
Thank you for all of your help, you've been great, I really appreciate it !

Last edited: