FPS Issue and the funny solution I'm using to solve it

• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on 12 August 2020 at approximately 3PM CDT (8PM UTC / 10PM CEST), this downtime is currently estimated to last around 1 hour.
  • Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020
Nov 23, 2012
Hello o/

I have been having performance issues with the game client (both original and custom) and tried a lot of ways to fix it. I even formatted my computer and did a clean installation but nothing fixed it. I'm used to playing on high fps and very pick on fps drops and spikes so it made me really unhappy to wonder how can I fix it. The problem is, while I'm playing the game my fps is around 40-50 changing regardless of where I am, what I'm doing or if shadows/antialiasing is enabled.

1- When I doubleclick the game windows to make it full screen my fps drops (when the client window snaps to the top and sides etc) but when I resize it with holding mouse button and arranging the borders its okey

2- When hold *any key* and play like that, I have stable 60fps not even 59 but if I don't do that I always experience performance issues

3- When I use any borderless fullscreener programs such as ShiftWindows I experience the fps drop (just as I explained on 1)

Here is my computer configuration
Mainboard : Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Intel Z68
CPU : Inter Core i5 2500K @ 4400GHz
Ram : 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
GPU : PowerColor Radeon HD 5970 Dual GPU with 2GB Ram 1450/2000 MHz
Monitor : 24" Samsung 1920x1080 resolution
My igpu (onboard) is disabled, so the game is using my GPU. We confirmed that with loftar with me crushing and him checking the log

I'm really looking to some permanent solution to this because I REALLY LOVED the game and have been playing like 10h a day since I started playing a week ago. I would really appreciate if you could me out on this problem. I have also checked that many other people are having the same issue on irc but they are not exactly accustomed to smooth fps as far as I could understand so they dont even feel it untill I told them to check.

Thanks in advanced ^^

unmerged(376826)

General
Demi Moderator
1 Badges
Sep 12, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars
Anything you want the devs attention on should be posted on the forums at salemgame.com.

It's been too many years since I've really dug into how Windows handles graphics processing inside windows. There's been three versions of Windows out since then, and I couldn't tell you what has changed and what hasn't. From my past experience, some performance changes are to be expected with different window modes, though.