• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All these games are lagging like crazy from the start of the game no matter the hardware. I’ve been testing it out today because I’m sick of the map stutter issue. Doesn’t matter. MacBook m1 map stutter, 5600x and 3060 map stutter, 5900hs 3050ti and 120hz laptop panel map stutter. There is absolutely no way the systems that paradox have run this game without stuttering. I’ve tried it on many more systems too, makes no difference. Tried with 3 different monitors too. Some of them make a difference but can not entirely eliminate the stuttering. Lowering all graphics settings helps a little. But I mean why should I have to do that on a 3060.

I also just tried hoi4 for the hell of it. It stutters as well when it didn’t used to.

All these games are lagging like crazy from the start of the game no matter the hardware. I’ve been testing it out today because I’m sick of the map stutter issue. Doesn’t matter. MacBook m1 map stutter, 5600x and 3060 map stutter, 5900hs 3050ti and 120hz laptop panel map stutter. There is absolutely no way the systems that paradox have run this game without stuttering. I’ve tried it on many more systems too, makes no difference. Tried with 3 different monitors too. Some of them make a difference but can not entirely eliminate the stuttering. Lowering all graphics settings helps a little. But I mean why should I have to do that on a 3060.

I also just tried hoi4 for the hell of it. It stutters as well when it didn’t used to.
Well if u r using an apple system for gaming u shouldn’t expect anything else than performance issues. These systems are okay if u want to use some office apps and surfing the internet, for casual pc stuff - not gaming.

but back to the real issues concerning Microsoft users. Obviously paradox destroyed something within the last patches. Lots of people complain about those issues and never had them before. Yes I also recognize the stuttering issues the most in times of religious wars. But again: stuttering was never an issue before and if I install one of the patches before 1.3 there are none at all. Fix it pls. Fast. I got nearly 7k of hours in eu4 for the last years and didn’t play it once in the last weeks because of that annoying stuttering.

Well if u r using an apple system for gaming u shouldn’t expect anything else than performance issues. These systems are okay if u want to use some office apps and surfing the internet, for casual pc stuff - not gaming.

but back to the real issues concerning Microsoft users. Obviously paradox destroyed something within the last patches. Lots of people complain about those issues and never had them before. Yes I also recognize the stuttering issues the most in times of religious wars. But again: stuttering was never an issue before and if I install one of the patches before 1.3 there are none at all. Fix it pls. Fast. I got nearly 7k of hours in eu4 for the last years and didn’t play it once in the last weeks because of that annoying stuttering.
I was using the Mac just to check on the stuttering issue. But the M1 Mac is more than capable of running this game. So to say it can’t be used for gaming is a misrepresentation. In fact while on battery power the M1 MacBook runs the game better than some multi thousand dollar gaming laptops.

As for the stutter it seems to coincide with day ticks. Adjusting a bunch of settings in nvidia control panel helps a bit. The issue is still present unfortunately. I hope they can fix it.

Greetings! i've decided to bump this thread instead of starting a new one, because this sounds like the same problem as i'm experiencing at this moment. (even though the videoclip OP posted seems to be having a harder time).

I'll add some more info assuming we're having the same problem.

- The days are processing really slow for me (2 days in a second-ish). First of the month takes ~5 seconds. This wasn't the case when i've last played about 6 months ago.
- Happens at the start of the game and when loading a saved game. The suggestions above do not make sense to me in this situation.
- My specs are "better" than OP. When i check taskmanager whilst eu4 is/was running, it's using 40% of it's power. Temperatures are OK. If required i can post an DXDIAX log.
- When paused, i have 100+FPS. When i hit spacebar, it drops to 16 right away.
- Loading screen (on startup) seems to take really really long (especially the "loading checksum" part.
- I've done all the steps suggested to OP earlier in the thread. Also, windows updated, drivers updated, etc.

Thanks in advance!

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

Temperatures are OK
What actual temps do you see in CPu and GPU as the game is running?

Thanks for the response AndrewT!

DXDIAG log and all other files attached as requested.

I made a screenshot of the taskbar and a hardware monitor aswell. This screenshot was made right after tabbing out of EU4. Temperatures ~50 degrees.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    120,7 KB · Views: 0
  • temperatures.png
    temperatures.png
    80,3 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    259 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,4 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    246 bytes · Views: 0
  • system.log
    5,1 KB · Views: 0
Very unusual to see the CPUs get so much hotter than the GPU. The highest temp we see in there is 78c, which is just shy of the level I see cause problems like this, 80c. I suggest you treat that as a potential problem, even if not directly the cause of this issue for you.
Clean out all air vents it has (compressed air cans are good for this). Make sure airflow to them is not blocked by anything like walls, books or whatever.
If that doesn't drop the temps enough, you probably have a faulty fan or a heatsink/thermal paste problem. You may need professional help at that point.

And can you edit that settings.txt file and make vsync=no and refreshRate=48, which should make the game run at 48fps not 120 like your Windows desktop. Is that any better?

Thanks Andrew for your reply.

The changed settings changed the speed (as in days/second) a little, but still far from what i was used to.
I'll try and clean the air vents as soon as i get my hands on a compessed air bottle.
But assuming it isn't the airflow/coolpaste/temperature. Are there any otther reasons you could think of that could cause this? Because to me it seems that the CPU isn't getting used to it's full power.

Thanks in advance:)

If it does not improve with lower temperatures let me know here and we'll look into other possibilities.