• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry but i laughed a little at that maya error window. The amount of time lost due to sudden and unexpected fatal errors from maya is outrageous. "Oh whats that. you want me to bevel that edge you just bevelled before and should be easy because the base geometry hasn't changed?" Fatal Error.

That model looks great! Where is it from, or is it your own work?

Hmm, in "path s1" and "target_exe s1" the following should be the directory of the game, right? So C:/whatever/steamapps/common/Stellaris ?

Thanks anyway for the help! '^_^

Edit: Now at least something happens...

I get this error when clicking "export", and after I click "OK", Maya crashes. I tried running Maya as admin but that didn't work.

u49jeN6.png

Exactly same for me when I am trying to export my GTCv Deimos I get fatal error too.

@RFS yeah I know with bewel there is a lot of problems :D At least in Maya 2016 but in MAya 2015 it is not so bad as in Maya 2016. At least this is my experience.

Can someone please explain all of this in greater, more organized detail? I use blender and I've tried following the tutorials but my mind just ends up flushing it all out.... It doesn't help with all these links to different places as reference to information on how to do something and then they present more links on how to do something and I just sit in my chair thinking, "Why the fuck not just copy past the info into this?"
It's a pain to have to go back and forth between all these different pages and not get confused on what is what.
Thanks.

Edit: Actually, a youtube video explaining everything would be much better; who here isn't better at learning from visuals?

Last edited:
Can someone please explain all of this in greater, more organized detail? I use blender and I've tried following the tutorials but my mind just ends up flushing it all out.... It doesn't help with all these links to different places as reference to information on how to do something and then they present more links on how to do something and I just sit in my chair thinking, "Why the fuck not just copy past the info into this?"
It's a pain to have to go back and forth between all these different pages and not get confused on what is what.
Thanks.

Edit: Actually, a youtube video explaining everything would be much better; who here isn't better at learning from visuals?

I'm not the youtuber kind of guy... but i can try to make a tutorial. I don't fully understand what i'm doing and how it affect stuff in game so everything should be taken with a pinch of salt. Where do you want me to start? Instaling the exporter or cut directly to just using it and what you need befor exporting?
Do you need information on how to make an addon for the game or do you already know that.
Also you'll need maya. The exporter is for maya and won't work on anything else so even if you make your models on blender you'll still need to bring them on maya for export. So do you also need a quick basic guide on how to use maya? I'm a 3dsmax user so don't expect a fully detailed tuto on how to use maya i don't know much about this damn thing... I know just enough to be able to put models on the game and use them as they are. Don't expect animation tutorial or stuff like that.

Last edited:
I'm not the youtuber kind of guy... but i can try to make a tutorial. I don't fully understand what i'm doing and how it affect stuff in game so everything should be taken with a pinch of salt. Where do you want me to start? Instaling the exporter or cut directly to just using it and what you need befor exporting?
Do you need information on how to make an addon for the game or do you already know that.
Also you'll need maya. The exporter is for maya and won't work on anything else so even if you make your models on blender you'll still need to bring them on maya for export. So do you also need a quick basic guide on how to use maya? I'm a 3dsmax user so don't expect a fully detailed tuto on how to use maya i don't know much about this damn thing... I know just enough to be able to put models on the game and use them as they are. Don't expect animation tutorial or stuff like that.

I ain't expecting a lot, just something more organized, I understand the game just came out and everyone is scrambling to figure it out, (Honestly I think it's **** that Paradox release tutorials on how to mod everything BESIDES adding ships into the game.) I honestly don't know why they had to make everything so cryptic for beginners.
I think it's best to start off with important details first and add in the minuscule things in between if you can, for example:

Making a PB and J:

Step 1: Get bread
Talk about the different kinds of breads and their health benefits. You're going to want to have two slices.

Step 2: Get Jelly
Suggest different kind of jellies or talk about which ones are best

Step 3: get peanut butter
There a many different kinds even if most people don't know it, Home-made tends to be thicker and grainy even saltier.

Step 4: Get a knife
Can be any size or shape, doesn't matter, use the knife to get a glob of jelly and spread it evenly on one slice of the bread, then take a glob of the peanut butter and do the same on the next slice of bread.

Step 5: Complete it
Take the slice of bread with the peanut butter spread on it and put it on top of the slice of bread with the jelly on it, evenly with the peanut butter facing the jelly, now ou can eat.

Gotta remember, you aren't just talking to people who are experts, you're also talking to people who are idiots at this kind of thing (myself included, Gosh I miss the creation kit for skyrim), So you gotta explain yourself clearly, it helps to explain what a certain word is, like when (I can't remember who) mentioned something about Phongs (mind you I 3D-Model as well) I had no clue what that was and it made it complicated to understand what to do, that's why visuals are better because once I actually got into Maya I knew what a Phong was (sorta, Wish companies gave more attention and credit to Blender and not Cad >_>)

Also the controls are wonky on the program compared to blender, although there are already tutorials on that.
When you finish making the tutorial, you want to start to play the role of an idiot and follow your own tutorial and see if everything comes out right, doing so lets you know of what steps to implement as well, you could also just take notes as to what to do as you do the process, for instance, I don't even know what locators are, although it sounds familiar, although it might seem complicated, when it's on video most of the info is already being expressed as you do the process yourself, so no need to worry.

Honestly I would do this myself, But I'm a Dunce when it comes to learning this stuff without breaking something, metaphorically and literally.

I ain't expecting a lot, just something more organized, I understand the game just came out and everyone is scrambling to figure it out, (Honestly I think it's **** that Paradox release tutorials on how to mod everything BESIDES adding ships into the game.) I honestly don't know why they had to make everything so cryptic for beginners.
I think it's best to start off with important details first and add in the minuscule things in between if you can, for example:

Making a PB and J:

Step 1: Get bread
Talk about the different kinds of breads and their health benefits. You're going to want to have two slices.

Step 2: Get Jelly
Suggest different kind of jellies or talk about which ones are best

Step 3: get peanut butter
There a many different kinds even if most people don't know it, Home-made tends to be thicker and grainy even saltier.

Step 4: Get a knife
Can be any size or shape, doesn't matter, use the knife to get a glob of jelly and spread it evenly on one slice of the bread, then take a glob of the peanut butter and do the same on the next slice of bread.

Step 5: Complete it
Take the slice of bread with the peanut butter spread on it and put it on top of the slice of bread with the jelly on it, evenly with the peanut butter facing the jelly, now ou can eat.

Gotta remember, you aren't just talking to people who are experts, you're also talking to people who are idiots at this kind of thing (myself included, Gosh I miss the creation kit for skyrim), So you gotta explain yourself clearly, it helps to explain what a certain word is, like when (I can't remember who) mentioned something about Phongs (mind you I 3D-Model as well) I had no clue what that was and it made it complicated to understand what to do, that's why visuals are better because once I actually got into Maya I knew what a Phong was (sorta, Wish companies gave more attention and credit to Blender and not Cad >_>)

Also the controls are wonky on the program compared to blender, although there are already tutorials on that.
When you finish making the tutorial, you want to start to play the role of an idiot and follow your own tutorial and see if everything comes out right, doing so lets you know of what steps to implement as well, you could also just take notes as to what to do as you do the process, for instance, I don't even know what locators are, although it sounds familiar, although it might seem complicated, when it's on video most of the info is already being expressed as you do the process yourself, so no need to worry.

Honestly I would do this myself, But I'm a Dunce when it comes to learning this stuff without breaking something, metaphorically and literally.

Don't worry i already did tuto about making models for source by the past. It's just i like to have a grasp on what i'm doing befor making a tuto about it.
I'll try to summarise "quickly" what I know as of right now about making ship into the game.

First is instaling the exporter
which is more tricky than it sound depending of your folder settup.
What i know:
If like a lot of people you have a hard drive/partition reserved for windows and have moved your documents and stuff on another drive/partition know that the installer of the exporter will instal the plugin for maya and its setting file on the system drive anyway ( default C: )
If you are in this case download the installer here: https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/downloads and follow the installation instruction here: http://www.stellariswiki.com/Maya_exporter
Once you did that you have 2 folder to check.
First is C:/windows/users/#yourname#/documents/maya/scripts
It should contain the pdx_exporter_ui.mel needed to run the exporter. You want to move it out of C: and put it to your proper document/maya/scripts folder.
Next folder that the installer instal on C: no mater what is C:/windows/users/#yourname#/documents/paradox interactive/pdxexporter
This folder contain a settings folder which contain clausewitz.txt and texture_exporter.txt
You also want to move all that paradox interactive folder to your proper documents.
Ok now make sure that in your Whatever:/program files/autodesk/mayaWhateverversion/bin/plug_ins you have something called pdx_exporter.mll and eventually pdx_exporter_RD.mll (no idea if this one is needed)
If something is missing the folder that you create during the installation of the exporter should contain all the missing bit (The folder you specified during the instalation).

What i don't know:
If you're a normal person and have everything installed on C: then technically you should be good without touching anything... But then again I have no idea if people with that kind of setup have the same sorts of problems when instaling.

Now is The part of setting up the exporter on maya
yes it's not just file -> export -> stuff.mesh
For that part you can simply follow paradox's guide:
Code:
Run Maya and make the below commands into a shortcut, most easily done by following these instructions:
Go into your plugin manager (At the top menu in Maya navigate trough Windows > Settings/Preferences > Plug-in Manager) and enable the “pdx_exporter.mll” plugin.
If it's not there you need to click Browse and search for it, in the directory where you installed PdxExporterInstall.exe to (default C:/Users/YOUR_USER/pdx_exporter/maya/maya_20xx_sdk_x64 (Don't ask me why it doesn't defaultly installed in /documents/ there)). Make sure you've selected the right exporter according to the version of Autodesk Maya you have installed.
Paste the following in the MEL input area at the bottom of your screen: rehash; source pdx_export_ui.mel; showPdxExport;
// Error: Line 1.33: Cannot find file "pdx_export_ui.mel" for source statement. -> Just add the directory. (e.g. rehash; source "C:/Users/YOUR_USER/Documents/maya/scripts/pdx_export_ui.mel"; showPdxExport;)
Select the entire command string that you've just entered in the MEL field, and while pressing the middle mouse button, you can drag the command string to your shelf (top bar, you will notice when there's a [+] sign at your pointer) in Maya.
Click on "MEL" when it says "Save script to shelf as type:".

Ok and now for the actual modeling and texturing
There's a lot of software that can be used to create DDS textures. I personaly use GIMP with a dds plugin and it work fine.

What i don't know:
The installer is also supposed to instal a dds plugin for photoshop but since i don't use toshop i have no idea what so ever about installing it properly if something is wrong with it.

I'll assume you already know how to make assets (texture and models) and know how chanel maping work. If not then i'm sure you'll find better tuto on youtube about those topics. Chanel maping is a bit tough to understand tho....

Ok moving on to what you need to know for your textures to work properly on the game.
Befor starting to work on the model you want to have your material ready. Materials for stellaris are composed of 3 textures: texturename_diffuse.dds , texturename_specular.dds , texturename_normal.dds
Acording to the wiki textures must be named that way. Something tell me that it is not mandatory but for the sake of simplicity just do what the wiki say.
The wiki (http://www.stellariswiki.com/Maya_exporter) explain what each chanel on each texture does:

Once you have your textures ready it's time to move to the modeling/riging part.
From now on everything is just theory and there's nothing certain.

Step 1: Make or import your model from another editor if like me you are unfamiliar with maya.
For my example i'll take a corvette sized ship because that's probably the easiest ship size you can do and the only ship size i made into the game yet.
Note that the front of the ship must be facing toward the Z axis.

Step 2: Look for something called "hypershade" it should look like a blue ball in the top shelf. You can also find it in windows -> randering editors -> hypershade . For some reason autodesk though it was a good idea to call the material editor like that.
Once this thing is open on the top window in the "materials" tab you should see a couple of a balls called lambert1, particlecloud1, and shaderglow1. Right clic and hold (again.... why....) in that very same window and go to create -> materials -> phong

Once you created your phong clic on it in the window bellow and clic on the little chessboard next to color:

It should have now opened a window called "create render node" with a list of things in it. Clic on "file"
This should add a bunch of stuff in the window where you selected the phong. I recomand you to grab and move them properly to see what you're doing.
Select the newly created "file1" in that window and clic on the folder on the right:

Here you want to find and select your _diffuse.dds you created earlier.

Now select your phong again and repeat this process with the chessboard next to "specular color"
This time instead of your diffuse you want to select your _specular.dds texture (obviously)
Now that you've done that select the phong one last time and clic the chessboard next to map under the bump/normal mapping category.
Thise should create a bunch of stuff including a box that place itself between the file and the phong: Don't panic it's normal just place those box nicely and set file3 to your _normal.dds texture.
It should now look like that:

If things went messy and you unlinked stuff and you're not sure etc don't be efraid to remove what you did (select -> del key) and try again with a fresh new phong.
Now that the material is set you can close the hypershade window and it's time for...

Step 3: Back to the model. on top of the viewport window clic the tiny icon next to the light bulb that look like another chessboard. It should be called "textured" and will turn the viewport into textured mod (so you can see if everything went right when applying the material). Select the model by clicking it. It should now be highlighted with green wireframe. Right clic and hold -> go all the way down to "assign existing material" -> phong1
You should now have a textured model. (the 3d view controls are alt+leftclic&drag for moving around the object and alt+midleclic&drag for panning the view)

Ok so now this thing need bones and locator in order to be used in the game.

Step 4: First we need to have viewport properly set. Look for this icon on the left of the screen:

This should turn the viewport into the classic top/front/side/perspective view. This will help placing the bones, joins and locators but first you also want to turn the top, front and side view in wireframe mod by clicking this icon on top of each viewport:

Step 5: We are now reaching the limits of what i know for sure. so expect a lot of "what i don't know".
Ok so now we need a bone for that thing so on top of the window look for the "rigging" tab and select "create joins"

Now on the top view clic once somewhere in the midle of the ship and right after that select the icon that look like a mouse cursor on the left. That way you go back to select mod and avoid placing more bones (aka joins) by accident.

What i don't know:
I usualy parent the bone to the shape by selecting both the shape and the bone and clicking the "parent contraint" button in the rigging tab. I have no idea if this is necessary... aparently it is not... but i feel it would be weird not to have any form of relationship or rigging between the bone and the shape. I don't even know if doing that is the proper way of riging a shape to a bone.

Step 6: Now On the right of the screen you should have a bunch of information and parameters. If that's not the case clic on this icon in the top right corner of the screen:

On the top of that menu that just poped out you should have something that look like join: joint1 in a text box.
This is the name of the joint. Names are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. We will need to anticipate a bit for the future.
I want you to select joint1's name in that text box and name it:

NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_frame

Obviously replace "nameofyournewrace" by the actual name of the race you plan to do in the game. Keep it simple if possible a single word and if the name of your race/faction/whatever is too long don't hesitate to crop it.
For my example this will be:
gallente_01_corvette_frame

Step 7: The shape also need a name. Select the shape. Now that's where i often get myself fucked. You see... if you created your model directly in maya you should have 2 tabs: pcube1 and pcubeshape1 but since i import stuff in obj i get something:shape and something:shapeshape. The one you want to select is the second tab. The shapeshape one in my case the one that says "mesh:" next to the text box where you set the name.
For my example i will replace the frigate type that only have 1 turret. Again the names are supper important as the game tend to do things automaticaly acording to how you named your stuff.
Name your shape:

NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1

In my case i want to rename the shape: gallente_01_corvette_mid_s1

Step 8: Now the ship need a gun mounting point. To do that we want to go back into the rigging tab and clic the very first icon: "create locator"
This should imediatly create and select a locator in the midle of your ship.
Using the move and rotate tool on the left:

place your locator where you want the turret to apear. Know that by default the turret's barrel will point forward and that the locator is the lowest point of the default turret's model. There no much way to know how the locator is oriented after rotating it tho so try to rotate it only if you really need it. It can take a few try befor placing the turret corectly so once we are done porting the model in the game don't hesitate to come back on the model and try to ajust that.

Step 9: Naming....again. This time naming the locator. Second tab, locator: locatorShape1
You want to rename that acording to the type of gun that will be mounted on the ship. Since our ship is a corvette with only one small gun (corvette_mid_s1) you want to name the locator:

small_gun_01

What i don't know:
Earlier i successfully managed to add engine trails on a shape in game. Problem is once the shape is turned into an actual working ship the trails no longer come out of the locators i set but instead come out from the central joint.
My theory is that the locators for the engine trails unlike the turret hardpoint must be located on the frame which we will talk about later. For now we will just make a single trail coming out of the midle because it would look worst without it anyway.

Step 10: The engine trail locator. Ok so now you want to click once again on the create locator button to create a new locator. This time you don't really need to move it since like i stated befor it won't make any diference in the end. Now again name it. This time you're free on the name you want for the locator. I'll call it "engine1"

Step 11: Now this is something a bit weird and i have no idea what it mean but if you try to run the exporter now you'll have an error saying "joint doesn't have a bind pose". To fix that you want to select the joint and once it is selected type this in the MEL text box at the botom of the screen:

dagPose -bp -save;

This should give you a confirmation "// Result: bindPose1"
Again: no idea what this does and why it is necessary.

Step 12: Ok now everything is in place and name. I want you to save your scene by going into file -> save scene as
Later we will have to do some nasty things. So yeah... save. But now it's time for

Step 13: Exporting. Now if you followed the guides about instaling the exporter and seting it up in maya you should now have somewhere a button to open the pdx exporter menu. I want you to clic that button.
Ok this is where it gets tricky. you see on the botom right of the exporter you have a couple of thing you can sellect:

standard_previewer
hearts_of_iron
terra

Those are presets for the exporter. In our case we want to select terra which i believe (i might be wrong) was the original name of stellaris. The setings for those presets are set in documents/paradox interactive/pdxExporter/settings folder in the clausewitz.txt file. You might want to take a look at it. You don't have to change anything but the output folder for the exported model might be a bit odd so check that file to see where the models will be thrown after exporting. in my case the instaler decided to put my output folder in X:/project/project_terra/game (don't ask why i have no idea... this is my archive drive)
Ok so back on the exporter window under the "terra" preset you have filename and output directory.
The output directory will be right after the path in the clausewitz.txt file so in my case models will be created in X:/project/project_terra/game/output
Now for the filename again it's important. It has to be:

In my case gallente_01_corvette_mid_s1
Ok in general you now want to make sure that "create .gfx and .asset", "export skeleton", and "export mesh" are checked.
And now for the final part you want to reopen the good old hypershade (aka material editor).
Once it is open select your phong by clicking on it and go back to the export window.
Clic the " add "shader" attr. " button.
And finaly clic in the botom right corner of the export window the "export button"
I did it as i was writing it and got an error that i've never seen befor so i'll assume you didn't had this error when pressing the export button....:rolleyes:

This should now have created 3 files in your output folder:
NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.asset
NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.gfx
NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.mesh

So! Now we have our ship mesh. We now need the frame. I still having trouble understanding exactly how this work and what should be on the frame and what should be on the actual ship shape. For our corvette it will be quite simple.

Step huuuh.... step 14! Make sure you SAVED.

Step 15: select the shape and hit the del key then select the engine1 locator and hit the del key and finaly select the turret hardpoint and hit the del key again. Yep you just deleted everything excepted the bone.

Step 16: Save AS A NEW SCENE. This is just in case you accidentaly hit the save button or do the wrong shortcut and overwrite what you saved earlier or... just do it.

Step 17: Now that the model is bare bones (hehe get it?) go to the polygon tab and clic on the icon that look like a cube called "polygon cube":

You probably guessed it... it create a cube.

Step 18: As the lead designer of the game once told us in another thread:
Only objects with a shader assigned to it, with has the "shader attribute", will be exported.
It mean (I think) That whatever model you're trying to export must have a material assigned to it or else it is just ignored just like when you're making model for source. So like the real ship you want to select the cube, right clic and hold, go to assign existing material -> phong1

Step 19: I don't know if there's better way to do that but for now we are going for the simplicity. You see this cube is small and is likely to not show once the ship shape will be applied over it by the game BUT right now it is large enough to still be seen in the ship editor when no "section" is selected. There might be clean way to make the cube invisible or even totaly get rid of it but for now we are just going to resize so small it will be nearly impossible to see ingame. Select the resize tool on the left:

Now clic on the cube if it is not already selected and once you see the "widgets" clic and drag the yellow one in the midle until your cube is really small:

What i don't know:
Since we won't rename the cube i'm not even sure if it ever apear in the game since it doesn't have a proper name like gallente_01_corvette_frame stuff. However since i wasn't paying much atention to names in my first atempt in porting models into the game but they were still apearing when manualy spawned as entity i really have no idea...
At least now you know where the resize button is right? :D

Step 20: It's now time to export the frame. Clic on that exporter button thing. The process is basically the same as for the ship. You just need to change the filename to something like that:

Again in my case it's gallente_01_corvette_frame
Make sure that the phong is properly taken into acount by selecting it in hypershade and clicking the "add 'shader' attr." button in the exporter window.
Ok so everything is set? Hit the export button.

You should now have you output folder filled with 6 files. The 3 files of the ship and the 3 files of the frame.

Next step is the most boring part and the one i'm the least confortable with. The "coding" and addon making where a single typo can fuck your addon up and throw you in hours of code checking to find where the problem is....

Now is time to mod the ship into the game
Ok so in this part we will see how mod works and how much of a flustercuck moding for this game is....
Shoutout to endzeit666 who bascially tought me everything i curently know about making an addon for this game and what file you need to change and stuff.
Keep in mind that everything at this point is experimental even for me.

What i don't know
I curently have no idea if it is possible to make a stand alone "addon" that doesn't just overwrite entire chunk of game files. The mod we will create in a moment WON'T be compatible with any other race mod because of that.

Fine let's get started shale we?
Moding will be done in your documents. You don't want to alter any of the game file like i did when i started moding for the game. Doing so would unable the game to work in multiplayer even if all you did is just creating an new empty folder in the game file.

Ok
Step 1: Go to your documents/paradox interactive/stellaris folder. Inside of it you probably already have a folder called "mod" If that's not the case create it. Inside that mod folder you will find mods you downloaded on the workshop and this is where we want to create our new mod. So for that create a new folder and name it whatever you want. It's your mod.
You also need a .mod file. It should be named like the folder of the mod.
Edit that .mod file with a text editor and bast this in it:
Code:
name="NameOfYourMod"
path="mod/NameOfYourMod"
tags={
    "whatever"
}
supported_version="1.0.0"

Step 2: Inside your new mod folder you just created everything will have to be aranged the same way folders are arranged inside the game starting from steam/steamapps/common/stellaris/ So inside of your mod you want to create 2 folders. First one must be called "common" and the second one "gfx"
Now go into the common folder (Note that, since the folder in the mod are exactly the same as in the game always consider that i'm talking about folder IN THE MOD unless specified otherwise)
Inside that common folder you'll need 2 other folder "graphical_culture" and "species_classes"
Go inside "graphical_culture"
For the sake of simplicity we will just take the original game file and edit it here. So go into your actual game files in steam/steamapps/common/stellaris/common/graphical_culture , copy the text file called "00_graphical_culture.txt" and past it into your own graphical_culture folder (the one in your mod)

Step 3: It is preferable to have something like notepad++ to edit the files tho it is still possible to do it with regular notepad... anyway open the 00_graphical_culture.txt file you just pasted into your mod.
In this file you have each race type and some parameters. I have no idea what so ever of what those parameters are. Ok now you want to copy the entire mammalian block, past it after the first 4 commented lines (The ones that start with #) rename it and add a line "fallback = mammalian_01"
.....or just copy past that after the first 4 commented lines and change the name of the race(use the same you used on maya when exporting the models):
Code:
YourRace_01 = {
    fallback = mammalian_01
    ship_lighting = {
        cam_light_1_dir = { 1.0 0.0 0.5 }
        cam_light_2_dir = { -0.5 0.2 0.0 }
        cam_light_3_dir = { 0.5 -1.0 0.0 }

intensity_near = 1.0
        intensity_far = 1.0
        near_value = 700
        far_value = 4000
        rim_start_near = 0.5
        rim_stop_near = 0.99
        rim_start_far = 0.3
        rim_stop_far = 0.99
        #rim_start_far = 1.5
        #rim_stop_far = 2.0
        ambient_near = 0.1
        ambient_far = 50.0
    }
}

Again in my case my race will be gallente_01
Save.
Ok now that's done....

Step 4: go into /common/species_classes in both the mod and the game files. This time you have to copy 00_species_classes.txt from the game to the mod and start editing the one you just pasted in your mod.
Once again you could copy an entire block and edit it or just copy that and past it after the first few commented lines:
Code:
NameOfTheRace = {
    portraits = {
        "human"
        "mam5"
        "mam13"
        "mam10"
        "mam14"
        "mam4"
        "mam9"
        "mam11"
        "mam6"
        "mam3"   
        "mam12"
        "mam7"
        "mam15"
        "mam2"
        "mam8"
        "mam1"
    }

graphical_culture = NameOfYourRace_01
    move_pop_sound_effect = "moving_pop_confirmation"
}

The first line will be the actual name of you race as displayed when creating a new race in the game however i do believe there's a way to change that manualy afterward since all other race just have stuff like MAM for mammalian or REP for reptilian etc... I don't know how though. I don't know what happen if you add a space in that name so again try to keep it simple with a single word. In my case it's simply "Gallente".
Ok then you have portraits = { "stuff" } This is where you would set custom portraits if you had some i guess but for this tuto we will just keep vanilla portraits since i never tried to mod custom portraits. (if you don't want mamalian just scrolldown and copy the list of portraits from another race it doesn't really matter for the sake of this tuto... Just don't screw everything up ok?)
And then you have graphical_culture = NameYOfYourRace_01
Now as you probably guess you have to replace this by the name you've been using until now. Just keep the _01 at the end. For me it will be gallente_01
Save and it should be done for this file.

Step 5: Go back to the root of the mod and go inside the "gfx" folder. In that "gfx" folder create a "models" folder. In that "models" folder create a "ships" folder. And finaly inside that "ships" folder create a "NameOfYourRace_01" folder. That same name you edited in the 2 txt which for me is "gallente_01"
Ok so now pay atention because this will get real finicky and this is where you are most likely to fail somewhere.
In this "NameOfYourRace_01" folder you want to copy/past the 2 .mesh you exported earlier with maya. "whatever_01_corvette_frame.mesh" and "whatever_01_corvette_mid_s1.mesh". In this same folder greate 2 text file and name them
"_NameOfYourRace_01_ships_entities.asset"
and
"_NameOfYourRace_01_ships_meshes.gfx"
Finaly grab the 3 .dds texture you made at the very begining of the tuto and past them in that same folder
You should now have something like that:

Step 6: Open the .gfx file and past this in it:
Code:
objectTypes = {
    pdxmesh = {
        name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_frame_mesh"
        file = "gfx/models/ships/NameOfYourRace_01/NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_frame.mesh"

scale = 1
        meshsettings = {
            shader = "PdxMeshShip"
        }
    }
    pdxmesh = {
        name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1_mesh"
        file = "gfx/models/ships/NameOfYourRace_01/NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.mesh"
        scale = 1

meshsettings = {
            name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1"
            index = 0
            texture_diffuse = "YourTexture_diffuse.dds"
            texture_normal = "YourTexture_normal.dds"
            texture_specular = "YourTexture_specular.dds"
            shader = "PdxMeshTerra"
        }
    }
}

Here you go! Lots of editing for you! :D
Don't forget to also set you texture near the end of the code.
Oh and if when trying your ship you realize it is too big or too small you can change the scale = 1 parameter to whatever you want without having to go back on maya to resize everything.
Also don't forget to save. It's not because i don't mension it that you shouldn't save...

And finaly (technically)
Step 6: Open the .asset file and past this in it:
Code:
entity = {
    name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_entity"
    pdxmesh = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_frame_mesh"

default_state = "idle"
    state = { name = "idle"     animation = "idle" animation_blend_time = 0.25
        start_event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = "amb_corvette_hum" } }
    }
    state = { name = "moving"    animation = "idle" animation_blend_time = 0.25
    event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = moving_out_corvette } }
    }

scale = 1

}
entity = {
    name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_S1_entity"
    pdxmesh = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1_mesh"

default_state = "idle"
    state = { name = "idle" state_time = 5
        event = { time = 0 node = "NameOfTheEngineTrailLocator1" particle = "avian_01_1_6_exhaust_idle_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
    }
    state = { name = "moving" state_time = 5
        event = { time = 0 node = "NameOfTheEngineTrailLocator" particle = "avian_01_1_7_ship_exhaust_moving_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
    }
}

Here you go more editing. Again change the name of your race for me it's like gallente_01 everywhere. One thing special tho is the "NameOfTheEngineTrailLocator". Remember that thing? We created it earlier when placing locators on the model. I named mine "engine1".

So it is now finaly time to boot up the game. When the launcher of the game is up you should have a tab called "mod" if things whent right you should find your mod there. Clicking on it should highlight it meaning it's activated.
The game will probably told you the mod is not up to date or whatever. It doesn't matter. when the mod is activated just launch the game. Now create a new race. This tuto is not about creating a race but more about porting a ship into the game so since we didn't specified the race a certain list of names and stuff like that it might be unstable or just not return any name when pressing the generate random name button... keep that in mind.
Ok in appearance you should technically have your race in the list on the left. If not then you probably failed somewhere in the graphical_culture or species_class file. Just set everything and finaly ship appearance. Here you should have your new race as well. Since the preview of each ship design is bassed on the science ship and we made a corvette the icon for your race's ship design should be a mammalian science ship. It's because of the "fallback = mammalian_01" line we added in the graphical culture file. It mean that when the game can't find a model for a ship/turret/whatever it will just replace it with a mammalian model. Once everything is done Save that race and launch a new game. Once in game go into the ship designer -> new design -> corvette and then select a section:

TADAH!

Last edited:
Reactions:
It mean (I think) That whatever model you're trying to export must have a material assigned to it or else it is just ignored just like when you're making model for source. So like the real ship you want to select the cube, right clic and hold, go to assign existing material -> phong1

Make sure that the phong is properly taken into acount by selecting it in hypershade and clicking the "add 'shader' attr." button in the exporter window. There's no way to have confirmation if the exporter is considering the phong or not so when in doubt just select the phong and "add 'shader' attr."

When you click for the first time the "add shader attr." button, after selecting a material in hypershade, the tool does exactly what it says: it add a property (or better an attribute) to the material. You can see in in the "Extra attributes" section: it is called "PdxShader" (BTW it's the only "extra attribute" I have).

Here you can check that "PdxMeshShip" is selected (I don't know when other shader should be used , or better I've just hypothesis based on their names)
If you save the scene, the attribute is save too, so you don't have to click "add shader" anymore (doing again doesn't hurt, anyway).

Moreover , you can check if the material is taken into account by the export tools (as long as any surface with that material assigned) just looking for that specific attribute.

About shaders

PdxMeshShip : It works well for ship. Or better: IMHO this (and only this) works for ship. Period.

PdxMeshTerra
: According to the devs, this should works for ship too. I've no successful export using this, but you can try..

Collide
: Every vanilla ship has a "cage", roughly resembling the ship contour, with a material with this shader associated. I added this "cage" , without having any visible effect. (please devs, explain... )

PdxMeshStar
: used for stars, pulsars etc ?

PdxMeshPlanet
, PdxMeshAtmosphere, PdxMeshClouds : probably used for planets

PdxMeshAlphaAdditive
, PdxMeshAlphaBlend : Apha channel it's for transparency. Perhaps they are used for constructors ???

PdxMeshFleetTypeIndicator : I've no idea

PdxMeshTextureAtlas: I've no idea

About shaders

PdxMeshShip : It works well for ship. Or better: IMHO this (and only this) works for ship. Period.

PdxMeshTerra
: According to the devs, this should works for ship too. I've no successful export using this, but you can try..

Collide
: Every vanilla ship has a "cage", roughly resembling the ship contour, with a material with this shader associated. I added this "cage" , without having any visible effect. (please devs, explain... )

PdxMeshStar
: used for stars, pulsars etc ?

PdxMeshPlanet
, PdxMeshAtmosphere, PdxMeshClouds : probably used for planets

PdxMeshAlphaAdditive
, PdxMeshAlphaBlend : Apha channel it's for transparency. Perhaps they are used for constructors ???

PdxMeshFleetTypeIndicator : I've no idea

PdxMeshTextureAtlas: I've no idea

I always had problem with pdxmeshship it give the ship some sort of blue shine. For me pdsmeshterra is the way to go even for ships.
Also thanks for the info about the shader attr thing.

Aaaaaaand it's done! I'm prety sure there's a shitload of typo and stuff despite me trying to pay attention to what i was writing. Keep in mind that i'm not english/american.
Hope this help. Again this is something i'm far from mastering it is still prety much witchcraf to me especialy the rigging part and that weird system of frame stuff. I feel like it's overly complicated for nothing and that it could be simplified a lot just by having informations from the devs or even a way to just unpack the model of the game for reverse engineering.

Aaaaaaand it's done! I'm prety sure there's a shitload of typo and stuff despite me trying to pay attention to what i was writing. Keep in mind that i'm not english/american.
Hope this help. Again this is something i'm far from mastering it is still prety much witchcraf to me especialy the rigging part and that weird system of frame stuff. I feel like it's overly complicated for nothing and that it could be simplified a lot just by having informations from the devs or even a way to just unpack the model of the game for reverse engineering.

I feel the same way, I don't understand why developers just go the route of making a "Creation Kit" similar to Skyrim and such. the modding tool para made is... shit >_>

It's common to say "It's difficult" tasks that actually should be named "I'm not able to do it"
The conversion tool does exactly it's job: convert a maya mesh/texture in a game object: creating the mesh, texturing, adding effects , locators, hardpoints, is up to you.
It took me three days to import an existing mesh. Now about a hours and a half, including scripting, testing the stuff etc.
What takes (to me) an hell of a time is perhaps "to create the correct metal surface/layer for the effect I have in my mind", but this because I suck at photoshopping besides the basic tasks.
Or create an mesh from scratch, or handle animations.
But this as nothing to do with the Paradox tools and it's a my lacking of skills.

Reactions:
It's common to say "It's difficult" tasks that actually should be named "I'm not able to do it"
The conversion tool does exactly it's job: convert a maya mesh/texture in a game object: creating the mesh, texturing, adding effects , locators, hardpoints, is up to you.
It took me three days to import an existing mesh. Now about a hours and a half, including scripting, testing the stuff etc.
What takes (to me) an hell of a time is perhaps "to create the correct metal surface/layer for the effect I have in my mind", but this because I suck at photoshopping besides the basic tasks.
Or create an mesh from scratch, or handle animations.
But this as nothing to do with the Paradox tools and it's a my lacking of skills.

The problem doesn't come from the tool itself. It's the lack of documentation. And even without documentation some tool are still relatively easy to use because you can decompile models and stuff and figure out prety much everything on your own. Here we lack both documentation and ways to revers engineer things from the game. Your "git gud" mentality doesn't apply here.

Don't worry i already did tuto about making models for source by the past. It's just i like to have a grasp on what i'm doing befor making a tuto about it.
I'll try to summarise "quickly" what I know as of right now about making ship into the game.

First is instaling the exporter
which is more tricky than it sound depending of your folder settup.
What i know:
If like a lot of people you have a hard drive/partition reserved for windows and have moved your documents and stuff on another drive/partition know that the installer of the exporter will instal the plugin for maya and its setting file on the system drive anyway ( default C: )
If you are in this case download the installer here: https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/downloads and follow the installation instruction here: http://www.stellariswiki.com/Maya_exporter
Once you did that you have 2 folder to check.
First is C:/windows/users/#yourname#/documents/maya/scripts
It should contain the pdx_exporter_ui.mel needed to run the exporter. You want to move it out of C: and put it to your proper document/maya/scripts folder.
Next folder that the installer instal on C: no mater what is C:/windows/users/#yourname#/documents/paradox interactive/pdxexporter
This folder contain a settings folder which contain clausewitz.txt and texture_exporter.txt
You also want to move all that paradox interactive folder to your proper documents.
Ok now make sure that in your Whatever:/program files/autodesk/mayaWhateverversion/bin/plug_ins you have something called pdx_exporter.mll and eventually pdx_exporter_RD.mll (no idea if this one is needed)
If something is missing the folder that you create during the installation of the exporter should contain all the missing bit (The folder you specified during the instalation).

What i don't know:
If you're a normal person and have everything installed on C: then technically you should be good without touching anything... But then again I have no idea if people with that kind of setup have the same sorts of problems when instaling.

Now is The part of setting up the exporter on maya
yes it's not just file -> export -> stuff.mesh
For that part you can simply follow paradox's guide:
Code:
Run Maya and make the below commands into a shortcut, most easily done by following these instructions:
Go into your plugin manager (At the top menu in Maya navigate trough Windows > Settings/Preferences > Plug-in Manager) and enable the “pdx_exporter.mll” plugin.
If it's not there you need to click Browse and search for it, in the directory where you installed PdxExporterInstall.exe to (default C:/Users/YOUR_USER/pdx_exporter/maya/maya_20xx_sdk_x64 (Don't ask me why it doesn't defaultly installed in /documents/ there)). Make sure you've selected the right exporter according to the version of Autodesk Maya you have installed.
Paste the following in the MEL input area at the bottom of your screen: rehash; source pdx_export_ui.mel; showPdxExport;
// Error: Line 1.33: Cannot find file "pdx_export_ui.mel" for source statement. -> Just add the directory. (e.g. rehash; source "C:/Users/YOUR_USER/Documents/maya/scripts/pdx_export_ui.mel"; showPdxExport;)
Select the entire command string that you've just entered in the MEL field, and while pressing the middle mouse button, you can drag the command string to your shelf (top bar, you will notice when there's a [+] sign at your pointer) in Maya.
Click on "MEL" when it says "Save script to shelf as type:".

Ok and now for the actual modeling and texturing
There's a lot of software that can be used to create DDS textures. I personaly use GIMP with a dds plugin and it work fine.

What i don't know:
The installer is also supposed to instal a dds plugin for photoshop but since i don't use toshop i have no idea what so ever about installing it properly if something is wrong with it.

I'll assume you already know how to make assets (texture and models) and know how chanel maping work. If not then i'm sure you'll find better tuto on youtube about those topics. Chanel maping is a bit tough to understand tho....

Ok moving on to what you need to know for your textures to work properly on the game.
Befor starting to work on the model you want to have your material ready. Materials for stellaris are composed of 3 textures: texturename_diffuse.dds , texturename_specular.dds , texturename_normal.dds
Acording to the wiki textures must be named that way. Something tell me that it is not mandatory but for the sake of simplicity just do what the wiki say.
The wiki (http://www.stellariswiki.com/Maya_exporter) explain what each chanel on each texture does:

Once you have your textures ready it's time to move to the modeling/riging part.
From now on everything is just theory and there's nothing certain.

Step 1: Make or import your model from another editor if like me you are unfamiliar with maya.
For my example i'll take a corvette sized ship because that's probably the easiest ship size you can do and the only ship size i made into the game yet.
Note that the front of the ship must be facing toward the Z axis.

Step 2: Look for something called "hypershade" it should look like a blue ball in the top shelf. You can also find it in windows -> randering editors -> hypershade . For some reason autodesk though it was a good idea to call the material editor like that.
Once this thing is open on the top window in the "materials" tab you should see a couple of a balls called lambert1, particlecloud1, and shaderglow1. Right clic and hold (again.... why....) in that very same window and go to create -> materials -> phong

Once you created your phong clic on it in the window bellow and clic on the little chessboard next to color:

It should have now opened a window called "create render node" with a list of things in it. Clic on "file"
This should add a bunch of stuff in the window where you selected the phong. I recomand you to grab and move them properly to see what you're doing.
Select the newly created "file1" in that window and clic on the folder on the right:

Here you want to find and select your _diffuse.dds you created earlier.

Now select your phong again and repeat this process with the chessboard next to "specular color"
This time instead of your diffuse you want to select your _specular.dds texture (obviously)
Now that you've done that select the phong one last time and clic the chessboard next to map under the bump/normal mapping category.
Thise should create a bunch of stuff including a box that place itself between the file and the phong: Don't panic it's normal just place those box nicely and set file3 to your _normal.dds texture.
It should now look like that:

If things went messy and you unlinked stuff and you're not sure etc don't be efraid to remove what you did (select -> del key) and try again with a fresh new phong.
Now that the material is set you can close the hypershade window and it's time for...

Step 3: Back to the model. on top of the viewport window clic the tiny icon next to the light bulb that look like another chessboard. It should be called "textured" and will turn the viewport into textured mod (so you can see if everything went right when applying the material). Select the model by clicking it. It should now be highlighted with green wireframe. Right clic and hold -> go all the way down to "assign existing material" -> phong1
You should now have a textured model. (the 3d view controls are alt+leftclic&drag for moving around the object and alt+midleclic&drag for panning the view)

Ok so now this thing need bones and locator in order to be used in the game.

Step 4: First we need to have viewport properly set. Look for this icon on the left of the screen:

This should turn the viewport into the classic top/front/side/perspective view. This will help placing the bones, joins and locators but first you also want to turn the top, front and side view in wireframe mod by clicking this icon on top of each viewport:

Step 5: We are now reaching the limits of what i know for sure. so expect a lot of "what i don't know".
Ok so now we need a bone for that thing so on top of the window look for the "rigging" tab and select "create joins"

Now on the top view clic once somewhere in the midle of the ship and right after that select the icon that look like a mouse cursor on the left. That way you go back to select mod and avoid placing more bones (aka joins) by accident.

What i don't know:
I usualy parent the bone to the shape by selecting both the shape and the bone and clicking the "parent contraint" button in the rigging tab. I have no idea if this is necessary... aparently it is not... but i feel it would be weird not to have any form of relationship or rigging between the bone and the shape. I don't even know if doing that is the proper way of riging a shape to a bone.

Step 6: Now On the right of the screen you should have a bunch of information and parameters. If that's not the case clic on this icon in the top right corner of the screen:

On the top of that menu that just poped out you should have something that look like join: joint1 in a text box.
This is the name of the joint. Names are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. We will need to anticipate a bit for the future.
I want you to select joint1's name in that text box and name it:

Obviously replace "nameofyournewrace" by the actual name of the race you plan to do in the game. Keep it simple if possible a single word and if the name of your race/faction/whatever is too long don't hesitate to crop it.
For my example this will be:
gallente_01_corvette_frame

Step 7: The shape also need a name. Select the shape. Now that's where i often get myself fucked. You see... if you created your model directly in maya you should have 2 tabs: pcube1 and pcubeshape1 but since i import stuff in obj i get something:shape and something:shapeshape. The one you want to select is the second tab. The shapeshape one in my case the one that says "mesh:" next to the text box where you set the name.
For my example i will replace the frigate type that only have 1 turret. Again the names are supper important as the game tend to do things automaticaly acording to how you named your stuff.
Name your shape:

In my case i want to rename the shape: gallente_01_corvette_mid_s1

Step 8: Now the ship need a gun mounting point. To do that we want to go back into the rigging tab and clic the very first icon: "create locator"
This should imediatly create and select a locator in the midle of your ship.
Using the move and rotate tool on the left:

place your locator where you want the turret to apear. Know that by default the turret's barrel will point forward and that the locator is the lowest point of the default turret's model. There no much way to know how the locator is oriented after rotating it tho so try to rotate it only if you really need it. It can take a few try befor placing the turret corectly so once we are done porting the model in the game don't hesitate to come back on the model and try to ajust that.

Step 9: Naming....again. This time naming the locator. Second tab, locator: locatorShape1
You want to rename that acording to the type of gun that will be mounted on the ship. Since our ship is a corvette with only one small gun (corvette_mid_s1) you want to name the locator:

small_gun_01

What i don't know:
Earlier i successfully managed to add engine trails on a shape in game. Problem is once the shape is turned into an actual working ship the trails no longer come out of the locators i set but instead come out from the central joint.
My theory is that the locators for the engine trails unlike the turret hardpoint must be located on the frame which we will talk about later. For now we will just make a single trail coming out of the midle because it would look worst without it anyway.

Step 10: The engine trail locator. Ok so now you want to click once again on the create locator button to create a new locator. This time you don't really need to move it since like i stated befor it won't make any diference in the end. Now again name it. This time you're free on the name you want for the locator. I'll call it "engine1"

Step 11: Now this is something a bit weird and i have no idea what it mean but if you try to run the exporter now you'll have an error saying "joint doesn't have a bind pose". To fix that you want to select the joint and once it is selected type this in the MEL text box at the botom of the screen:

dagPose -bp -save;

This should give you a confirmation "// Result: bindPose1"
Again: no idea what this does and why it is necessary.

Step 12: Ok now everything is in place and name. I want you to save your scene by going into file -> save scene as
Later we will have to do some nasty things. So yeah... save. But now it's time for

Step 13: Exporting. Now if you followed the guides about instaling the exporter and seting it up in maya you should now have somewhere a button to open the pdx exporter menu. I want you to clic that button.
Ok this is where it gets tricky. you see on the botom right of the exporter you have a couple of thing you can sellect:

standard_previewer
hearts_of_iron
terra

Those are presets for the exporter. In our case we want to select terra which i believe (i might be wrong) was the original name of stellaris. The setings for those presets are set in documents/paradox interactive/pdxExporter/settings folder in the clausewitz.txt file. You might want to take a look at it. You don't have to change anything but the output folder for the exported model might be a bit odd so check that file to see where the models will be thrown after exporting. in my case the instaler decided to put my output folder in X:/project/project_terra/game (don't ask why i have no idea... this is my archive drive)
Ok so back on the exporter window under the "terra" preset you have filename and output directory.
The output directory will be right after the path in the clausewitz.txt file so in my case models will be created in X:/project/project_terra/game/output
Now for the filename again it's important. It has to be:

In my case gallente_01_corvette_mid_s1
Ok in general you now want to make sure that "create .gfx and .asset", "export skeleton", and "export mesh" are checked.
And now for the final part you want to reopen the good old hypershade (aka material editor).
Once it is open select your phong by clicking on it and go back to the export window.
Clic the " add "shader" attr. " button.
And finaly clic in the botom right corner of the export window the "export button"
I did it as i was writing it and got an error that i've never seen befor so i'll assume you didn't had this error when pressing the export button....:rolleyes:

This should now have created 3 files in your output folder:
NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.asset
NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.gfx
NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.mesh

So! Now we have our ship mesh. We now need the frame. I still having trouble understanding exactly how this work and what should be on the frame and what should be on the actual ship shape. For our corvette it will be quite simple.

Step huuuh.... step 14! Make sure you SAVED.

Step 15: select the shape and hit the del key then select the engine1 locator and hit the del key and finaly select the turret hardpoint and hit the del key again. Yep you just deleted everything excepted the bone.

Step 16: Save AS A NEW SCENE. This is just in case you accidentaly hit the save button or do the wrong shortcut and overwrite what you saved earlier or... just do it.

Step 17: Now that the model is bare bones (hehe get it?) go to the polygon tab and clic on the icon that look like a cube called "polygon cube":

You probably guessed it... it create a cube.

Step 18: As the lead designer of the game once told us in another thread:

Step 19: I don't know if there's better way to do that but for now we are going for the simplicity. You see this cube is small and is likely to not show once the ship shape will be applied over it by the game BUT right now it is large enough to still be seen in the ship editor when no "section" is selected. There might be clean way to make the cube invisible or even totaly get rid of it but for now we are just going to resize so small it will be nearly impossible to see ingame. Select the resize tool on the left:

Now clic on the cube if it is not already selected and once you see the "widgets" clic and drag the yellow one in the midle until your cube is really small:

What i don't know:
Since we won't rename the cube i'm not even sure if it ever apear in the game since it doesn't have a proper name like gallente_01_corvette_frame stuff. However since i wasn't paying much atention to names in my first atempt in porting models into the game but they were still apearing when manualy spawned as entity i really have no idea...
At least now you know where the resize button is right? :D

Step 20: It's now time to export the frame. Clic on that exporter button thing. The process is basically the same as for the ship. You just need to change the filename to something like that:

Again in my case it's gallente_01_corvette_frame
Make sure that the phong is properly taken into acount by selecting it in hypershade and clicking the "add 'shader' attr." button in the exporter window.
Ok so everything is set? Hit the export button.

You should now have you output folder filled with 6 files. The 3 files of the ship and the 3 files of the frame.

Next step is the most boring part and the one i'm the least confortable with. The "coding" and addon making where a single typo can fuck your addon up and throw you in hours of code checking to find where the problem is....

Now is time to mod the ship into the game
Ok so in this part we will see how mod works and how much of a flustercuck moding for this game is....
Shoutout to endzeit666 who bascially tought me everything i curently know about making an addon for this game and what file you need to change and stuff.
Keep in mind that everything at this point is experimental even for me.

What i don't know
I curently have no idea if it is possible to make a stand alone "addon" that doesn't just overwrite entire chunk of game files. The mod we will create in a moment WON'T be compatible with any other race mod because of that.

Fine let's get started shale we?
Moding will be done in your documents. You don't want to alter any of the game file like i did when i started moding for the game. Doing so would unable the game to work in multiplayer even if all you did is just creating an new empty folder in the game file.

Ok
Step 1: Go to your documents/paradox interactive/stellaris folder. Inside of it you probably already have a folder called "mod" If that's not the case create it. Inside that mod folder you will find mods you downloaded on the workshop and this is where we want to create our new mod. So for that create a new folder and name it whatever you want. It's your mod.
You also need a .mod file. It should be named like the folder of the mod.
Edit that .mod file with a text editor and bast this in it:
Code:
name="NameOfYourMod"
path="mod/NameOfYourMod"
tags={
    "whatever"
}
supported_version="1.0.0"

Step 2: Inside your new mod folder you just created everything will have to be aranged the same way folders are arranged inside the game starting from steam/steamapps/common/stellaris/ So inside of your mod you want to create 2 folders. First one must be called "common" and the second one "gfx"
Now go into the common folder (Note that, since the folder in the mod are exactly the same as in the game always consider that i'm talking about folder IN THE MOD unless specified otherwise)
Inside that common folder you'll need 2 other folder "graphical_culture" and "species_classes"
Go inside "graphical_culture"
For the sake of simplicity we will just take the original game file and edit it here. So go into your actual game files in steam/steamapps/common/stellaris/common/graphical_culture , copy the text file called "00_graphical_culture.txt" and past it into your own graphical_culture folder (the one in your mod)

Step 3: It is preferable to have something like notepad++ to edit the files tho it is still possible to do it with regular notepad... anyway open the 00_graphical_culture.txt file you just pasted into your mod.
In this file you have each race type and some parameters. I have no idea what so ever of what those parameters are. Ok now you want to copy the entire mammalian block, past it after the first 4 commented lines (The ones that start with #) rename it and add a line "fallback = mammalian_01"
.....or just copy past that after the first 4 commented lines and change the name of the race(use the same you used on maya when exporting the models):
Code:
YourRace_01 = {
    fallback = mammalian_01
    ship_lighting = {
        cam_light_1_dir = { 1.0 0.0 0.5 }
        cam_light_2_dir = { -0.5 0.2 0.0 }
        cam_light_3_dir = { 0.5 -1.0 0.0 }

intensity_near = 1.0
        intensity_far = 1.0
        near_value = 700
        far_value = 4000
        rim_start_near = 0.5
        rim_stop_near = 0.99
        rim_start_far = 0.3
        rim_stop_far = 0.99
        #rim_start_far = 1.5
        #rim_stop_far = 2.0
        ambient_near = 0.1
        ambient_far = 50.0
    }
}

Again in my case my race will be gallente_01
Save.
Ok now that's done....

Step 4: go into /common/species_classes in both the mod and the game files. This time you have to copy 00_species_classes.txt from the game to the mod and start editing the one you just pasted in your mod.
Once again you could copy an entire block and edit it or just copy that and past it after the first few commented lines:
Code:
NameOfTheRace = {
    portraits = {
        "human"
        "mam5"
        "mam13"
        "mam10"
        "mam14"
        "mam4"
        "mam9"
        "mam11"
        "mam6"
        "mam3"
        "mam12"
        "mam7"
        "mam15"
        "mam2"
        "mam8"
        "mam1"
    }

graphical_culture = NameOfYourRace_01
    move_pop_sound_effect = "moving_pop_confirmation"
}

The first line will be the actual name of you race as displayed when creating a new race in the game however i do believe there's a way to change that manualy afterward since all other race just have stuff like MAM for mammalian or REP for reptilian etc... I don't know how though. I don't know what happen if you add a space in that name so again try to keep it simple with a single word. In my case it's simply "Gallente".
Ok then you have portraits = { "stuff" } This is where you would set custom portraits if you had some i guess but for this tuto we will just keep vanilla portraits since i never tried to mod custom portraits. (if you don't want mamalian just scrolldown and copy the list of portraits from another race it doesn't really matter for the sake of this tuto... Just don't screw everything up ok?)
And then you have graphical_culture = NameYOfYourRace_01
Now as you probably guess you have to replace this by the name you've been using until now. Just keep the _01 at the end. For me it will be gallente_01
Save and it should be done for this file.

Step 5: Go back to the root of the mod and go inside the "gfx" folder. In that "gfx" folder create a "models" folder. In that "models" folder create a "ships" folder. And finaly inside that "ships" folder create a "NameOfYourRace_01" folder. That same name you edited in the 2 txt which for me is "gallente_01"
Ok so now pay atention because this will get real finicky and this is where you are most likely to fail somewhere.
In this "NameOfYourRace_01" folder you want to copy/past the 2 .mesh you exported earlier with maya. "whatever_01_corvette_frame.mesh" and "whatever_01_corvette_mid_s1.mesh". In this same folder greate 2 text file and name them
"_NameOfYourRace_01_ships_entities.asset"
and
"_NameOfYourRace_01_ships_meshes.gfx"
Finaly grab the 3 .dds texture you made at the very begining of the tuto and past them in that same folder
You should now have something like that:

Step 6: Open the .gfx file and past this in it:
Code:
objectTypes = {
    pdxmesh = {
        name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_frame_mesh"
        file = "gfx/models/ships/NameOfYourRace_01/NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_frame.mesh"

scale = 1
        meshsettings = {
            shader = "PdxMeshShip"
        }
    }
    pdxmesh = {
        name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1_mesh"
        file = "gfx/models/ships/NameOfYourRace_01/NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1.mesh"
        scale = 1

meshsettings = {
            name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1"
            index = 0
            texture_diffuse = "YourTexture_diffuse.dds"
            texture_normal = "YourTexture_normal.dds"
            texture_specular = "YourTexture_specular.dds"
            shader = "PdxMeshTerra"
        }
    }
}

Here you go! Lots of editing for you! :D
Don't forget to also set you texture near the end of the code.
Oh and if when trying your ship you realize it is too big or too small you can change the scale = 1 parameter to whatever you want without having to go back on maya to resize everything.
Also don't forget to save. It's not because i don't mension it that you shouldn't save...

And finaly (technically)
Step 6: Open the .asset file and past this in it:
Code:
entity = {
    name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_entity"
    pdxmesh = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_frame_mesh"

default_state = "idle"
        start_event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = "amb_corvette_hum" } }
    }
    }

scale = 1

}
entity = {
    name = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_S1_entity"
    pdxmesh = "NameOfYourRace_01_corvette_mid_s1_mesh"

default_state = "idle"
        event = { time = 0 node = "NameOfTheEngineTrailLocator1" particle = "avian_01_1_6_exhaust_idle_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
    }
        event = { time = 0 node = "NameOfTheEngineTrailLocator" particle = "avian_01_1_7_ship_exhaust_moving_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
    }
}

Here you go more editing. Again change the name of your race for me it's like gallente_01 everywhere. One thing special tho is the "NameOfTheEngineTrailLocator". Remember that thing? We created it earlier when placing locators on the model. I named mine "engine1".

So it is now finaly time to boot up the game. When the launcher of the game is up you should have a tab called "mod" if things whent right you should find your mod there. Clicking on it should highlight it meaning it's activated.
The game will probably told you the mod is not up to date or whatever. It doesn't matter. when the mod is activated just launch the game. Now create a new race. This tuto is not about creating a race but more about porting a ship into the game so since we didn't specified the race a certain list of names and stuff like that it might be unstable or just not return any name when pressing the generate random name button... keep that in mind.
Ok in appearance you should technically have your race in the list on the left. If not then you probably failed somewhere in the graphical_culture or species_class file. Just set everything and finaly ship appearance. Here you should have your new race as well. Since the preview of each ship design is bassed on the science ship and we made a corvette the icon for your race's ship design should be a mammalian science ship. It's because of the "fallback = mammalian_01" line we added in the graphical culture file. It mean that when the game can't find a model for a ship/turret/whatever it will just replace it with a mammalian model. Once everything is done Save that race and launch a new game. Once in game go into the ship designer -> new design -> corvette and then select a section:

TADAH!

o/
Srly dude! its a nice guide and a nice work! Really you help me to understand the composition of this :)

So, when you are importing the eve's model ship, you dont need to called the mesh with this format: "NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1" the name of the mesh its not important. The names of all its extremely important yes, but only to connect the mesh with entities, entities with sizes and sizes with sections. This you can see in the files
"_*.gfx" "_*.asset" "00_ship_sizes.txt" and "corvette.txt"

ej. you have a maulus model, you can called "gallente_01_maulus.mesh" and textures "gallente_maules_diffuse.dds" etc etc so you have to place the names in the "_gallente_01_ships_meshes.gfx" file:

Code:
    pdxmesh = {
        name = "gallente_01_maulus_mesh"                            <- Name of the mesh entity #Go to (1)
        file = "gfx/models/ships/gallente_01_maulus.mesh"      <- Mesh file used for the mesh entity
        scale = 0.01                                                                   <- Scale that will applied to the mesh in the game.

meshsettings = {
            name = "gallente_maulus"                                         <- The name of the mesh in the file.
            index = 0
            texture_diffuse = "gallente_maules_diffuse.dds"       \
            texture_normal = "gallente_maules_normal.dds"       > Textures that will be applied to the mesh in the game.
            texture_specular = "gallente_maules_specular.dds" /
            shader = "PdxMeshShip"                                           <- shader format, i dont know how this work.               
        }
    }

this is the links to set an entity's name to the mesh and textures files.

Now you need made and connect the entity with the ship desing in the "_gallente_01_ships_entities.asset" file:

Code:
entity = {
    name = "gallente_01_CORVETTE_S2_ENTITY"                     <- (2] Link to the ship size "ship_sizes.txt" and "corvette.txt" files
    pdxmesh = "gallente_01_maulus_mesh"                                 <- (1) Link to the mesh file.

default_state = "idle"
        event = { time = 0 node = "engine_small_01" particle = "avian_01_1_6_exhaust_idle_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
        start_event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = "amb_starship_hum" } }

event = { time = 0 node = "light_locator_01" particle = "ship_light_blue_effect" keep_particle = yes trigger_once = yes }

}

event = { time = 0 node = "engine_small_01" particle = "avian_01_1_7_ship_exhaust_moving_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
        event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = moving_out_science } }

event = { time = 0 node = "light_locator_01" particle = "ship_light_red_effect" keep_particle = yes trigger_once = yes }
    }
}

With this connections your "gallente_01_maulus.mest" has take the atributtes from the "stellaris/common/ship_sizes/00_ship_sizes.txt" and "stellaris/common/section_templations/corvette.txt"

Into here you can made multiple sizes with one mesh file. :)

I hope this help to someone xDD

Oh! i forgot. You allways will need a frame to your cuestom model, but you can use an existent frame:

Code:
entity = {
    name = "gallente_01_corvette_frame_entity"
    pdxmesh = "molluscoid_01_corvette_frame_mesh"

default_state = "idle"
    }
    }

scale = 1

}

:)

Fly safe

Last edited:
o/
Srly dude! its a nice guide and a nice work! Really you help me to understand the composition of this :)

So, when you are importing the eve's model ship, you dont need to called the mesh with this format: "NameOfYourNewRace_01_corvette_mid_s1" the name of the mesh its not important. The names of all its extremely important yes, but only to connect the mesh with entities, entities with sizes and sizes with sections. This you can see in the files
"_*.gfx" "_*.asset" "00_ship_sizes.txt" and "corvette.txt"

ej. you have a maulus model, you can called "gallente_01_maulus.mesh" and textures "gallente_maules_diffuse.dds" etc etc so you have to place the names in the "_gallente_01_ships_meshes.gfx" file:

Code:
    pdxmesh = {
        name = "gallente_01_maulus_mesh"                            <- Name of the mesh entity #Go to (1)
        file = "gfx/models/ships/gallente_01_maulus.mesh"      <- Mesh file used for the mesh entity
        scale = 0.01                                                                   <- Scale that will applied to the mesh in the game.

meshsettings = {
            name = "gallente_maulus"                                         <- The name of the mesh in the file.
            index = 0
            texture_diffuse = "gallente_maules_diffuse.dds"       \
            texture_normal = "gallente_maules_normal.dds"       > Textures that will be applied to the mesh in the game.
            texture_specular = "gallente_maules_specular.dds" /
            shader = "PdxMeshShip"                                           <- shader format, i dont know how this work.              
        }
    }

this is the links to set an entity's name to the mesh and textures files.

Now you need made and connect the entity with the ship desing in the "_gallente_01_ships_entities.asset" file:

Code:
entity = {
    name = "gallente_01_CORVETTE_S2_ENTITY"                     <- (2] Link to the ship size "ship_sizes.txt" and "corvette.txt" files
    pdxmesh = "gallente_01_maulus_mesh"                                 <- (1) Link to the mesh file.

default_state = "idle"
        event = { time = 0 node = "engine_small_01" particle = "avian_01_1_6_exhaust_idle_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
        start_event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = "amb_starship_hum" } }

event = { time = 0 node = "light_locator_01" particle = "ship_light_blue_effect" keep_particle = yes trigger_once = yes }

}

event = { time = 0 node = "engine_small_01" particle = "avian_01_1_7_ship_exhaust_moving_particle" trigger_once = yes keep_particle = yes }
        event = { trigger_once = yes sound = { soundeffect = moving_out_science } }

event = { time = 0 node = "light_locator_01" particle = "ship_light_red_effect" keep_particle = yes trigger_once = yes }
    }
}

With this connections your "gallente_01_maulus.mest" has take the atributtes from the "stellaris/common/ship_sizes/00_ship_sizes.txt" and "stellaris/common/section_templations/corvette.txt"

Into here you can made multiple sizes with one mesh file. :)

I hope this help to someone xDD

Oh! i forgot. You allways will need a frame to your cuestom model, but you can use an existent frame:

Code:
entity = {
    name = "gallente_01_corvette_frame_entity"
    pdxmesh = "molluscoid_01_corvette_frame_mesh"

default_state = "idle"
    }
    }

scale = 1

}

:)

Fly safe

Yeah i know you can name stuff your own way but then the game doesn't consider those as vanilla ship size like corvette/destroyer/cruiser/battleship and you'd need to edit much more stuff in order to make them work. I went for the easy path.

Ok so my next struggle is: transparency. Did someone managed to have transparency on texture or if not is it even possible?

And nah it's just a regular frigate called tristan.

Do you know how to make transparent parts now? I think its something about the shader "PdxMeshTerraAlphaBlend" used in tranparent parts for the vanilla ships, but i dont know how to make this shader in maya :s

Thanks to everyone in this thread, and especially Mandrac, I've managed to make my ships appear in game. So thank you all for that!

Could you perhaps share you .dds settings? My ship's a little... bright.

5tvLitD.jpg