• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it matter, as long as you have read these rules, they are the only ones that matter.

That is correct from a provider's point of view. "Whatever, read this all anew and leave if you can't be bothered to accept these new rules". However a lot of legal systems consider changes to an end user license agreement to be non binding if they are communicated in a hard to distinguish manner. Why would you force your end users to flesh out every tiny change, when you could communicate the changes much clearer without real extra effort. To avoid any discussion prudent EULA providers simply communicate changes in a track changes format, to prevent providing ammunition to lawyers defending a lazy end user.

That situation does not exist here, and the rules are not EULA, they are continuing terms of service agreement.
Plus the rules are not some complicated legalese, they are plain logical rules, that everyone could stand to review.

So I will say it bluntly, Paradox owns anything and everything posted here.

The rules state you or Paradox must be the copyright holder to post it here.If you post it here you cede the rights to Paradox.
Out of pure curiosity, and don't get me wrong or anything, I'm not questioning the rule, it's purpose or validity. But I'm wondering, is that actually backed by law? I realize logically that it pretty much has to be, you're a company, you have lawyers in suits with pens and stuff. Serial bidness people. Oh and I also understand that the rule only exists to protect yourself, it's not like you're ruled by a tyrant who aggressively pursue AAR writers to steal their book ideas. But in theory, if you were, you actually could?

So the question is more or less a "Is that really so? Where can I read more about it?"-type of thing.

To your average guy, i.e. me, that sounds absolutely mad. That checking a box and thus signing some random EULA on the internet actually transfers the ownership of your own ideas, your copyrights, to another entity. Perhaps I should read them twice in the future (Twice more than usually). I get that this might be the wrong place for this, and that you might be the wrong person to talk to this about, but I'm curious. Sorry =D

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, obviously we do not pay our lawyers to come on the forum to debate people, and I don't have a degree in international copyright law, so I will not debate the issue either. :)
I will say that you should keep in mind that Most AARs and user mods on the forum are composed of and based on our IP to begin with so it is not like You would be free to go sell it even if you never posted it here.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me, I am sure I can help you out, as I have done for everyone else that had a concern.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for your comments, obviously we do not pay our lawyers to come on the forum to debate people, and I don't have a degree in international copyright law, so I will not debate the issue either. :)
I will say that you should keep in mind that Most AARs and user mods on the forum are composed of and based on our IP to begin with so it is not like You would be free to go sell it even if you never posted it here.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me, I am sure I can help you out, as I have done for everyone else that had a concern.
Oh, wasn't looking for a debate, it was just a curious inquiry into something a bit too deep and specific. I'll write it down on my "Ask a Lawyer" list =D

Bump as it fell victim to the Expire thread bug.

And another bump for visibility.

Updated for visibility.

Updated for visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.