• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bavaria for me, please!

The World in 1756

The World is only 8 years removed from the War of the Austrian Succession that had lasted from 1740 until 1748, in which King Frederick II of Prussia, known as Frederick the Great, had gained the rich province of Silesia from Austria. Empress Maria Theresa of Austria had signed the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle in 1748 only in order to gain time to rebuild her military forces and to forge new alliances, which she did with remarkable success. The political map of Europe had been redrawn in a few years as Austria abandoned its twenty-five year alliance with Britain. During the so‑called Diplomatic Revolution of 1756, the centuries-old enemies of France, Austria, and Russia formed a single alliance against Prussia.

Prussia's only major assistance came from Great Britain, their new found allies, whose ruling dynasty saw its ancestral Hanoverian possession as being threatened by France. In many respects the two powers' forces complemented each other excellently. The British had the largest, most effective navy in the world, while Prussia had the most formidable land force on continental Europe, allowing Great Britain to focus its soldiers towards colonial expeditions. The British hoped that the new series of alliances that had been formed during the Diplomatic Revolution would allow peace to continue, but they in fact brought the World to the brink of war in 1756.

The Austrian army had undergone an overhaul according to the Prussian system. Maria Theresa, whose knowledge of military affairs shamed many of her generals, had pressed relentlessly for reform. Her interest in the welfare of the soldiers had gained her their undivided respect. Austria had suffered several humiliating defeats to Prussia in the previous war, and strongly dissatisfied with the limited help they had received from the British, they now saw France as the only ally who could help them retake Silesia and check Prussia's expansion.

The events in Europe go hand in hand with the heated colonial struggle between the British Empire and French Empire which, as they expanded, met and clashed with one another on two continents. Of particular dispute was control of the Ohio Country which was central to both countries' ambitions of further expansion and development. Since 1754 France and Britain already were fighting a low-level war in North America.

(Mostly shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia).

A note on stats and rules

Some of the stats are a bit mysterious. Let me explain them. Population, economy, and trade are measured in millions of people and British pounds. Income comes from taxes on the economy (usually very low) and taxes on trade (usually very high). Expenses scale with population and with GDP/capita, so rich countries have to, for example, pay their soldiers more. Income denotes the income after all expenses have been paid (administrative costs, military upkeep, etc.). Debt denotes the current debt (or treasury) of the country. Interest of 5% has to be paid on all debt, and the same is collected on all funds in the treasury.

Literacy is measured in percentage points and reduces the cost of everything - smarter people come up with more efficient ways of doing things. In general it is unlikely to pay for itself, but at least it mitigates the costs of education somewhat. Infrastructure is measured on a 5-point scale and effects how much money is collected - the better the infrastructure the more money is collected from taxes, customs, etc.

Army and navy are represented by numbers of men and ships, and a quality that also takes on values from 1-5. Poor quality troops fight worse but are just as expensive as average quality troops. Better quality troops fight better and are also more expensive to maintain.

Next to infrastructure and quality you will see something like (1/5). This represents the progress towards next level of that statistic. How much money is spent to get to the next level depends heavily on how successful the investment is (i.e. random dice rolls) but in general 1% of GDP is a good rule of thumb if you want an estimate.

Any questions? Ask me.

Stats on the front page updated. Hopefully I will finish with most (all?) by tonight.

All stats are up. I am not sure I am satisfied with how Sweden and Poland look, but everyone else should be good. Here is a snapshot of the world:

Countries by income (before expenses):

China: 1,849 million
France: 1,059
Great Britain: 970
Ottomans: 509
Venice: 375
Netherlands: 370
Spain: 366
Russia: 350
Austria: 315
Prussia: 181
Denmark: 150
Poland: 146
Naples: 121
Portugal: 73
Sweden: 53
Bavaria: 32

And here is a list by GDP/capita:

Netherlands: 1,988
Great Britain: 1,305
France: 1,008
Naples: 1,008
Venice: 1,007
Prussia: 984
Bavaria: 984
Denmark: 975
Spain: 922
Portugal: 866
Austria: 812
Sweden: 759
Russia: 645
Poland: 636
China: 600
Ottomans: 580

Let me know if you see any anomalies. The more people help me out the better.

Feel free to START.

If anyone has orders that should be carried out before the first full update send them to me by FRIDAY.

So, what nations are free?

:(

400px-Arms_of_the_Qing_Dynasty.svg.png

The Empire of the Great Qing

The sublime State of the Great Qing, led by His Imperial Majesty, Eternal Holder and Defender of the Mandate of Heaven, and his unending wisdom and careful guidance, shall head into this upcoming year with plans to expand the State in such a way as to further improve the already existent supreme majesty of said State. The recent solidification of noble Qing authority over the previously-upstart regions of Tibet and the Western Regions, along with the desolate steppes of the destroyer-Khan's illegitimate "empire", shall ensure the continued safety and prosperity of His Imperial Majesty's subjects. The maintenance of order and authority in the Southeastern Regions shall be upheld by the word of His Imperial Majesty's tongue, and by the sword and spear should His word be violently ignored. The region of Vietnam shall witness peace, and if the civil war of past decades flares back into conflict, the men of the Great Qing, defenders of His Imperial Majesty and the Mandate of Heaven, shall be sent to deal with such threats that pose a danger to the sublime State and the imperial subjects of His Imperial Majesty.

His Imperial Majesty would also like to note that the disturbance of any and all peace in the region, unless a result of the actions of His Imperial Majesty and the Middle Kingdom itself, shall warrant full attention and action on the part of His Imperial Majesty, the Great Qing Empire, and every subject of the sublime State.

~ His Imperial Majesty the Emperor of the Great Qing Dynasty, Son of Heaven, Lord of Ten Thousand Years, Eternal Holder of the Mandate of Heaven, Ruler of All Under Heaven

645px-Osmanli-nisani.svg.png

Bab-ı Ali, Devlet-i ʿAliyye-yi ʿOsmâniyye

A message from the Sublime Porte

The Sublime Porte, Government of the Devlet-i 'Aiyye-yi ʿOsmâniyye in Kostantiniyye, would like to announce that, in keeping with the times of the Era, would like to enter into friendly talks with the Nations of the World to reconcile the many differences that the Devlet-i 'Aiyye-yi ʿOsmâniyye has with the other nations of the world, and to advance our Diplomatic Relations forward to forge a new path.

For Sultan ‘Osmān-i sālis

Wappen_Preuszligen_zpseeae3574.png

His Royal Majesty, the King of Prussia, Prince-Elector of Brandenburg, Frederick II

Though the darkness clouds the horizon let the world know this. I do not desire any war and I will not start a new one. The Kingdom of Prussia will just defend her territory and integrity. As the defender of protestantism of Germany we will of course not intervene in any conflicts which involve her catholic territories as these are only a matter for the Austrian crown.

The Kingdom of Prussia will though fight a war. A war against swamp and water. We will colonize the Oderbruch and claim new land. Thus we invite colonists from all over Europe and the known world to come here to settle and thrive. We will build a new Prussia, more prosperous and advanced than before.

In the colonial war we wish our friends in Britain the best of luck.

coa_portugal.png

His Royal Majesty, José I of Portugal and the Algarves, wishes to announce that, starting this year, the Kingdom of Portugal will begin a series of much needed reforms in economic, military, and social policy.

- Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal and Prime Minister of Portugal

Last edited:
336px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Infante_Charles_of_Spain_as_King_of_Naples_and_Sicily.svg.png

In the coming years I hope to improve the economy and military of my Kingdoms, while additionally bringing prosperity to my subjects. On the diplomatic front, I seek good relations with all, putting all quarrels in the past and developing friendly and cooperative relationships for the future.

-Charles of Bourbon, King of Naples and Sicily