• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
218px-Flag_of_Spain_%281785-1873_and_1875-1931%29.svg.png

Kingdom of Spain

El Rey De Espana and his Government have to their great displeasure discovered the Moroccan Government's brutal and barbaric suppression of the native Rif Tribesmen in northern Morocco. El Rey's government would as such formally request that Moroccan arms be removed from the Republic of the Rif so that a process to consolidate the peace in the region could be undertaken. Should the Moroccan Government fail to do so, the Spanish Government offers its support to the Riffan People and presents an offer of aid in securing the region.

220px-Firma_de_Gumersindo_de_Azc%C3%A1rate.svg.png

Ok5BiPp.png

From the Desk of His Imperial Majesty
Hongxian
Great Emperor of China, Son of Heaven Lord of Ten Thousand Years

To Dr. Sun Yat-sen

Dr. Sun, I write to you today with a plea, on behalf of all China. Since the breakout of hostilities in 1904, China has been on a downward slope, with the Sons and Daughters of China being slaughtered, by the Manchu, by the Han, by their own brothers and sisters. The civil war that has plagued our Golden Empire for the past five years has shown the true destructive force of war, and how desperately China needs peace. The current situation that we have found ourselves in is one of desperation, one of brutality, and it is a situation I do indeed aim to rectify as soon as possible. The Manchu regime is on the brink of collapse, and with the Mongolian people rising up against their Manchurian oppressors, it is clear that the so called 'Qing Empire' is a relic of a bygone era. In this new era, that of a modern China, the Empire of China is all too willing to lead the Chinese people into modernity, into a prosperous future. However, in order to ensure a modern, prosperous, peaceful China, all of our Golden Empire must be united under one banner. Dr. Sun, I ask of you to join your rebellion and forces with mine and my armies. Together, we can finally end the Manchurian tyranny, and establish a free, prosperous, and modern China that works for all of its peoples. I do not wish to send any more of China's sons to death, and I beg of you, do not force me to send my forces against you, for it will only end in death and destruction for you and your rebellion's environs.

May the Heavens guide you to the correct decision,
128px-Yuan_Shikai_Sign.png

The Death of the Guangxu Emperor and the Ascension of Zaitao: A Narrative of the Events as told by Court Eunuch Yu Konglao

Yu Konglao, a court eunuch who left for India in 1910 upon the conclusion of the war was present at both the death of the Guangxu Emperor, and the arrival of Prince Zhong, better known by his given name of Zaitao, along with his coronation, all of which took place within a week in early June, 1908.

"I was taking a nap when the shelling started up in the evening of June 4, right at its normal time, as it had been that way for a good few days now at that point. His Majesty was out in the gardens walking when I heard a shell land within the palace compound somewhere. I immediately woke up and roused the other eunuchs and some of the cooks in the next room, and we went out to survey the damage. We heard the Emperor call behind us, 'Heavens above, get over here you all!' He sounded shaken but not panicked, as if he had seen something unbelievable, rather than the real fate he met. We turn around and he's covered in dirt and blood, his left arm was hanging by thin strip of muscle, and there were wounds all up and down his body. I believe now, in retrospect, that one of his eyes must have been put out, the blood in his right eye socket was simply too much, I believe, to have been brought by the cut just above the right eyebrow. Regardless, we took him to the Imperial bedchamber and summoned the doctors. The whole way through, the Emperor seemed fearless and aware of his own death, for as we helped him to the bedchamber he kept urging on us to 'call Prince Zhong and bring him here, that poor boy.' and inquired as to whether or not 'the coronation dress has been cleaned, and the crown polished'. We took him to his bed and tied off his wounds as Doctor Wang moved his way across the complex to his room. The Emperor requested to see Consort Zhen and to 'tell my wife not of what's going on'-- he always hated the Empress. Consort Zhen was summoned and broke into hysterics upon seeing the state of the Emperor. By this point, Dr. Wang had arrived and began to treat his wounds, but the Emperor had lost a large volume of his blood and was now in something of an addled, yet mentally clear state. He urged Consort Zhen not to cry and thanked Doctor Wang for treating him. Four more hours passed, and more doctors came and went, but the Emperor's condition continued to worsen. By nine o'clock that night, his consciousness was fading and his wounds' clots failed at some point earlier, a lung was punctured and filling with blood and fluid, and the doctors were considering the complete amputation of his left arm. He embraced all of us eunuchs and his concubines one by one, and then addressed us all, gathered around his bed. 'Loyal subjects, dearest wives, I am running out of time. I see men that are not there and I can hear the gods in high heaven calling me up, my time to go is nearly here. While it seems now that I will not live to see it, I hold out hope that this dreadful time in our history will be overcome, and this Middle Kingdom will rise forward to strength once more. May the Heavens bring down its blessings on all of you. Send my regards to Prince Zhong and Prince Chun, my dearest brothers, tell little Zaitao that I'm sorry for ruining the bedsheets.' We all quietly chuckled at that, and he continued. 'Cover up that window, please, it's too bright.' It was night, but we did it anyways, 'don't weep for me, this danger came with the job, eh? Fight for a new China, my dear friends, struggle against the tyrants and fanatics. Treat little Zaitao well, I've heard that-- oh Heavens above! There it is! There it is. There it is... Time to go. Shangdi, take me.' Those were his last words-- he fell unconscious and his heart stopped beating a minute or two later. He was declared dead at the Westerners' time of 9:23 P.M., and Zaitao appeared at court 3 days later. He was quiet, stoic, bearing all the weight of an entire Empire brought down upon him. We left for Xi'an before we could see the coronation at Luoyang, and we buried the Emperor at Xi'an a few days later. I heard that Prince Zhong behaved as he did when we saw him: steely, quiet, powerful yet incredibly sad. He was always fond of his older brother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
240px-Seal_of_Qing_dynasty.svg.png

Upon the Final Day of the Guangxu Era, in its 34th Year.

Prince Zhong, guided by Heaven and all the Gods and Shangdi on high, now has taken up the Dragon Throne under the auspices of the divine and all the great ancestors of the Empire. And so our new lord ascends to become the Son of Heaven, of the era of Baotian, of which his reign will last ten thousand years, and our Empire will be liberated from the savage barbarians set upon it through his Heavenly might. Long live the Empire, long live the Baotian Emperor! One Golden Empire under Heaven, ruled by the Dragon Throne!
554px-Prince_Zaitao_uniform.jpg

His Majesty the Emperor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The era name "Baotian" is a portmanteau of the phrase "Bǎohù zhě de Tiān"-- "the Protector of Heaven"

Last edited:
3332e65144c05aa410566d4e1b5.jpg

Glory Brave Fighters!

Following the lack of response to earlier poster campaigns. The United Balkan Revolution began combining their posters and written messages, with criers. Men who would take the message and spread it by word of mouth, taking to city squares to spread the word of the revolution. Risking capture and persecution by Ottoman forces to do so.

The past year has seen us drive off the Ottoman Menace time and again! Brothers and Companions may have fallen but for each of our own, three or more of the Sultan's dogs were taken with them. In response the Empire cracks, other peoples of the Balkans and further joining in the banner of Revolution. Albanians and Armenians die alongside our Brothers in fighting the Sultan. It is our duty to not let the sacrifices of our Companions and their's go in vain! These lands we inhabit have been watered with the blood of our own, baptized with fires of revolution. We will take this fire and use it to forge ourselves a new state, one where all men stand equal! Where the oppression and grievances of the past no longer exist and we together plot a path to a perfect future. So rise up Macedonian, Albanian, Serb, Aromanian, Greek and Bulgar. Rise up and throw off not only the yoke of Ottoman Oppression, but throw off the weight of the past. Join together, and fight to forge our utopia!

For Freedom, For Your Families, For A Better Future
For the United Balkan Revolution!

Last edited:
FMLhS9X.png

"The Austro-Hungarian Empire faces the valley of death, as forces within and without seek it's elimination and dissolution. Be it the Chief Imam in Constantinople calling on the Mohammadians to take up arms, the German Kaiser burning a friendship and alliance without provocation, or the rise of discontent within the peasants of Transylvania prompted by a scared King.

However, the Empire will not falter, and will not fall. The Mohammadians will not have their heathenry take root within our borders, the German Kaiser's words only strengthened our resolve, and the ill-guided peasants will soon be shown how their leaders are unfortunate pawns of a greater game.

To which, the joint legislatures and the Imperial Privy Council has agreed to a second Ausgleich. From the crown lands of Croatia, Bosnia, Novi Pazar, Küstenland, Carnolia, and Dalmatia the Crown of Croatia will be raised to the equal nature of the Crown of Austria and the Crown of Hungary. Hereafter, Franz Joseph will be Kaiser und Konig und Konig, and the Triple Crown will weigh heavy upon the brow of the Imperial, Royal, and Royal person. The Slavic Peoples, a long standing portion of His Empire, will now have their own kingdom to call their own."

~ Agenor Graf Gołuchowski, Minister of Foreign Affairs for the K.u.K.u.K Franz Joseph

480px-Flag_of_the_Papal_States_%281808-1870%29.svg.png

His Holiness the Pope
Your Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty Franz Josef, exalted Emperor of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Croatia, etc. etc.:

We have received word of Your most recent proclamation, through a minister appointed by Your person, regarding the status of one of the many realms within Your Empire, to wit the Crown of Croatia. We look upon this wondrous day as one of celebration in the name of the Holy Father, owing first and foremost to your eternal and unending love of the Croatian people, who have for centuries shown to the world their most pious nature and their willingness to accept the Sacraments most enthusiastically.

For your continued services toward the proclamation of the Gospel of Christ and in defense of the Holy See for Your long and prosperous reign, handed down by our most Holy God, We hereby grant on Your person the Supreme Order of Christ. May Your days be ever filled with the blessings of the Lord, and may we more sooner and clearer understand His mysteries and works.

Given at Rome at St. Peter's on the 16th of August, 1909, in the sixth year of Our pontificate.

Pius X PP.
320px-Pope_Pius_X_signature%2C_1906.svg.png

197px-Coat_of_arms_of_Pope_Pius_X.svg.png

The Empire of the Great Qing has regrettably come to realize that certain peoples under Heaven ought to be freed for the sake of mutual peace and happiness. Therefore, the Empire of the Great Qing proposes between itself and the prospective Khaanate of Mongolia:

The Treaty of Guisui

320px-Flag_of_the_Qing_Dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png
320px-Flag_of_Mongolia_%281911-1921%29.svg.png

I. The Khaanate of Mongolia, comprising of all territories currently under the control of the Bogd Khan, Prince Namnansüren, and all other princes currently in revolt against the Empire of the Great Qing will be formally acknowledged as sovereign territory of the Khaanate of Mongolia, and will as such be perpetually released from the control of the Empire of the Great Qing and recognized as a legal, independent state. The Empire of the Great Qing furthermore promises to cede the entirety of the Province of Inner Mongolia upon the conclusion of the disorder within its borders.

II. The Khaanate of Mongolia swears that their nation shall refuse to recognize the rebel states within the Empire of the Great Qing, and will dispatch the military forces of the Khaanate of Mongolia to Xinjiang Province with the consent of Empire of the Great Qing to put down the rebellion there, as well as to eliminate other rebellions within the Empire of the Great Qing whenever it may prove convenient or requested of the military forces of the Empire of the Great Qing.

III. The Khaanate of Mongolia will allow for all garrisoned forces of the Empire of the Great Qing, along any Imperial Subjects of the Empire of the Great Qing to leave the Khaanate of Mongolia speedily and without molestation.
[x] Li Jinfang, Head of the Zongli Yamen department of the Empire of the Great Qing

[] Representative of the Bogd Khan, Prince Namnansüren, and other concerned princes

Last edited:
[X] The Honorable Jalkhanz Khutagt Sodnomyn Damdinbazar, Foreign Minister of the Khaanate of Mongolia

XJJVpYr.png

Speech by Wilhelm II

"The collapse of the Triple Alliance is a dangerous event but one which was caused by nations that the German Empire previously considered allies. Nations that turned their backs on their brothers due to the deceit and deception of lesser people. The Austro-Hungarian and now Croatian Empire abandoned all treaty obligations and promises made to those that were meant to be their closest friends and allies, and in their darkest need abandoned them as well. Kaiser Franz Joseph has for several years now not ruled from Vienna but from Budapest by Hungarian advisers with Hungarian interests to decide the course of the Empire, while the Austrians were left alone and wanting in the face of weakened response as their German brothers fought a devastating war. There is little point to pretend that the alliance could be preserved, for when allies abandon one another in their time of need, how can they truly be called allies. We wish with our whole heart for the prosperity of the Austrian people and their wellbeing, that they may soon regain control of their own destiny once more.

The German Empire shall however stand strong as it has for half a century, we stand proud and tall among the nations of the world, a leading power of peace and prosperity in this world. While our losses have been great, then our unity in the wake of this conflict shall shine even brighter, as we help our young men to cope with a normal work day ones more, all of the Empire stands with you.

It was through our compassion and desire for peace that the war was finally ended, and it is this desire for the future of our children that shall see our Empire shine for centuries to come."

25aff152cdc48ee80f8391565c1b4c01.jpg

The Berlin Speeches Affair

The Triple Alliance was a strained beast by 1908, as Berlin and Vienna all but glared at each other over a nominally friendly border. Vienna's refusal to support Romania, which Germany would soon dedicate 800,000 deaths in the name of, burnt the ego of Kaiser Wilhelm. Furthermore, Vienna's private accusations of Germanic meddling into the pan-nationalists of Cisleithania reduced Austrian patience in Germany. However, the death knell of the Triple Alliance, all while the Italian diplomatic corp watched with mouths agape, occurred during a pair of speeches by the German Kaiser in Berlin.

In his first speech, the Kaiser made it known that he thought the Imperial and Royal Court entirely coopted by the Hungarian government, much to the chagrin of both the Cis- and Transleithanian government. Placing the entirety of the blame on the failure of the Imperial and Royal Family as well as the Hungarians, he openly agreed that all German speaking regions should be integrated into the German Empire.

This left the Imperial and Royal Family aghast and the Cisleithanian government angered beyond belief. However, the various legislatures of Austro-Hungary were too busy dealing with domestic upheaval in order to address the Kaiser's comments. However, the German Kaiser made their lives easier by addressing it for them, as Kaiser Wilhelm (in a second round of speeches) once again declared the fall of the Habsburgs to Hungary and the final dissolution of the Triple Alliance.

Often regarded as the most significant personal blunder by the Kaiser, it completely alienated both the Cis- and Transleithanian governments from the German sphere. Furthermore, it marked the death of Bismarckian thought, as the Triple Alliance died an ignoble death after 27 years. The rapid and sudden collapse left all of Europe reeling as Germany was officially alone. In a parallel of von Bismarck's nightmares, Germany was now entirely surrounded by unfriendly powers.

255px-Flag_of_Italy_%281861-1946%29.svg.png

Kingdom of Italy

Society is always only held together safely by good men willing to take action to prevent bad men from setting the world ablaze for their own petty needs. Most of the world is simply caught in the middle, the ones needing to be protected.

The world has taken a very dangerous few turns in the most recent years and months. It seems that for every problem solved, 3 more spring to life from the dark. Corruption, immorality and chaos continue to strike at the world. However there is always hope in the light, even if that light is as small and precious as a single candle. The world is reshaping itself and we must be ready to embrace the changes. Ages before man could not reach into the skies, then one day using simple balloons and more recently some types of machines now lift man into the sky.

Now on to more immediate, local and serious matters. While recovering from my recent medical problem I was brought news that was somewhat depressing to hear. The Triple Alliance has stood as a bit of a guarantor of stability and peace at the heart of europe for years now. Clearly that situation is being changed now. We have deep regrets that this situation has come to pass, perhaps it was never real in the first place. Regardless of the why currently, the fact remains Italy must now take extra care to safeguard our people and interests.

However we don't view this as an immediate and grave crisis. The navy is finishing a large expansion of capital ships and the army is sufficient to defend our borders. There are some small issues that need address, we will attempt to push a package of small military improvements for the year shortly. We shall do so while keeping an eye abroad to the world and to the south. North African lands currently defended by Italian soldiers are a new frontier for development and settlement by Italian citizens.

The Kingdom of Italy shall steps to guarantee our safety in the event of major war crisis. We will not stand alone for long, even if steps are not always visible.

~ King Umberto

GM Note: Orders due Monday, 10 April 10pm EST.

@Maxwell500, please come online ASAP, as I must speak with you.

Imperial_Emblem_of_the_Qajar_Dynasty_%28Lion_and_Sun%29.svg

The Sublime State of Iran​

The Shahdom is continuing modernize and the great people of Persia are making great strides in returning Persia to a place of prestige amongst nations. Though it has generated much controversy yet brings improvements to the lives of all Persians. As such I hereby promulgate the following constitution for the peace and tranquility to all the People of Persia.

I. The Legislature

1. The Legislative Branch of the of the Persian nation, the Majles, shall be Unicameral in nature and the suffrage shall be all those not excluded under Article I Section 2.

2. It shall consist of 75 seats

3. It shall be presided over by the Prime Minister, who shall form the government, upon appointment by the Shah.

4. The enactment of laws concerning revenue and expenditure are to be controlled by the Majeles

5. All laws passed by the Majles are subject to ratification by the Shah, though this can be overridden by a two-thirds majority

6. All laws passed must uphold the constitution

7. Elections:
The following groups are barred from voting in elections:
i. women
ii. foreigners
iii. those under 25
iv. person notorious for mischievous opinions ((aka trolls))
v. those with a criminal record
vi. active military personal

8. Electoral Laws

i. Elections shall be held every 3 years, or upon a vote of non confidence in the government.
ii. The electoral ballot shall consist of a single transferable vote
iii. The electoral ballot shall be a secret ballot

9. Electable personages

In order be elected to the Majiles, a person must meet the following qualifications:
i. fully literate in Persian ((Farsi))
ii. they must be subjects of the Shah
iii. be locally known
iv. not in the employment of the government
v. between 30 and 70 years old
vi. have some insight into the affairs of state
vii. Additionally, all elected ministers shall be held fully accountable for a violation of the law

II. Rights and Duties of the Persian Nation

All citizens of Persia are granted the following rights:
i. personal liberty …
ii. personal property
iii. freedom of expression
iv. freedom of movement within the country
v. if male the duty serve in the Persian Military in times of national duress and for training purposes

III. Judiciary

The judiciary shall be appointed by the Prime Minister to serve 5 year terms, with the exception of the Supreme court which shall be appointed by the Shah for 10 year terms

IV. The Shah

1. All power is derived from his Imperial Majesty the Shah

2. The Shah is empowered to promulgate new laws following consultation with his ministers, under his own authority - so long as those laws do not infringe upon the constitution

3. The Shah holds the power to appoint and dismiss Ministers under his own authority

4. The Shah holds the power of granting military rank, decoration, and all honors of the state.

5. The Shah holds the final decision in matters concerning the matters of the waging of war

V. Provincial Councils

1. Shall be elected following the same rules as the Majles

2. Shall serve to address regional issues

VI. Regarding Minorities

1. Religious and Ethnic minorities are to be protected against unwanted discrimination

2. Religious minorities are to be permitted to practice their own religion

In the Name of God, blessed and exalted is He.

The complementary provisions of the Fundamental Code of Laws have been perused and are correct. Please God, our Royal Person will observe and regard all of them. Our sons and successors also will, please God, confirm these sacred laws and principles.

~ Shāhanshāh Mozaffar ad-Din Shah Qajar

Last edited:
600px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
Recent events in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire, have been most distressing to the Romanian government, and surely many other civilized nations as well. The ongoing Magyarization policies, begun to be harshly enforced a few years ago, brought about much friction and condemnation when applied to the territories of Bosnia and Novi Pazar during the Balkan War. Despite pleas by the Romanian government, these policies, which bore a particularly heavy burden on the Romanian people of Transylvania, were not rescinded or slackened. As a result of such gross abuse of power by the Hungarian government, the Romanians in Transylvania sprang into rebellion, seeking to protect their identity and livelihood.

It is not the official position of the Romanian government to see borders redrawn along ethnic lines, nor is it Romanian policy to interfere with the internal matters of other states. However, the breakdown of order in Transylvania and long standing actions by the Hungarian government compel Romania to make its views known. Though Romania does not support the separatist nature of the rebellion in Transylvania at this time, it asks that the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire make efforts to address the magyarization policies and harsh treatment that were the causes of the rebellion. If the rights and privileges recently extended to the Croatian people were also extended to the Romanian people within the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian empire, then the rebellion would likely cease, and peace be restored.

Further, despite repeated and strenuous objections by Romanian diplomats, the Danube Dam is being constructed, much to Romania's despair. The consequences of such a dam to Romania's economy, agricultural production, and trade, would be catastrophic, so we once more implore a reconsideration of the dam's construction, for the sake of mutual prosperity and amicable relations.

-Ioan Lahovary, Minister of Foreign Affairs for Romania

"Following a recent readjustment of the matrices of the planned Danubian Dam, it has been concluded that it can actually be risen safely, to accommodate more water in times of drought. Thus, the Danubian Dam will be raised an additional 10ft."

~ Richard Freiherr von Bienerth, Minister of the Interior for the K.u.K.u.K Franz Josef

"Should the Romanian Government have any concerns based on scientific fact, they will be taken under advisement. However, in the mean time, the Romanian Government has been deemed stable enough to be offered investment opportunities in the Danubian Dam alongside the Principality of Bulgaria and the Kingdom of Serbia. This is an excellent chance in which to take part in the most ambitious energy generation project in Eastern Europe!"

~ Agenor Graf Gołuchowski, Minister of Foreign Affairs for the K.u.K.u.K Franz Joseph

Emirate of Afghanistan
Politics & Economy
Government: Unitary islamic absolute monarchy
Leader(s): Emir Habibullah Khan
Ideology: Islamism & modernization
Alignment: None (British satellite)
Capital: Kabul
Political stability: 64%
Population: 5.512 m. (1.3% growth)
GDP: $ 4,068 m. (1.0% growth)
Economic status: Agrarian, expansion, mixed economy, $ 738 per capita
Government Spending & Services
Receipts: $ 73 m.
Expenditures: $ 99 m.
Balance: $ - 26 m.
Treasury: $ - 513 m.
Infrastructure: (1/5) Poor
Administration: (3/5) Poor
Education: (2/5) Poor
Health & Weflare: (1/5) Failing
National Defense
Manpower: 97,311
Army: (2/5) Poor, 1899 technology
2 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 0 mountain divisions, 0 marine divisions
Navy: (1/5) Failing, 1880 technology
0 dreadnoughts, 0 battlecruisers, 0 pre-dreadnoughts, 0 armored cruisers, 0 light cruisers, 0 destroyers, 0 submarines
Air Force: (1/5) Failing, 1909 technology
0 reconnaissance squadrons
Player: Kho

Last edited:
Ok5BiPp.png

From the Desk of His Imperial Majesty
Hongxian
Great Emperor of China, Son of Heaven Lord of Ten Thousand Years

To Dr. Sun Yat-sen

Dr. Sun, I write to you today with a plea, on behalf of all China. Since the breakout of hostilities in 1904, China has been on a downward slope, with the Sons and Daughters of China being slaughtered, by the Manchu, by the Han, by their own brothers and sisters. The civil war that has plagued our Golden Empire for the past five years has shown the true destructive force of war, and how desperately China needs peace. The current situation that we have found ourselves in is one of desperation, one of brutality, and it is a situation I do indeed aim to rectify as soon as possible. The Manchu regime is on the brink of collapse, and with the Mongolian people rising up against their Manchurian oppressors, it is clear that the so called 'Qing Empire' is a relic of a bygone era. In this new era, that of a modern China, the Empire of China is all too willing to lead the Chinese people into modernity, into a prosperous future. However, in order to ensure a modern, prosperous, peaceful China, all of our Golden Empire must be united under one banner. Dr. Sun, I ask of you to join your rebellion and forces with mine and my armies. Together, we can finally end the Manchurian tyranny, and establish a free, prosperous, and modern China that works for all of its peoples. I do not wish to send any more of China's sons to death, and I beg of you, do not force me to send my forces against you, for it will only end in death and destruction for you and your rebellion's environs.

May the Heavens guide you to the correct decision,
128px-Yuan_Shikai_Sign.png
iIwKjXVm.jpg

Sun Yat-sen set down the letter and smiled wryly. There was no question that this entreaty had been made with an expectation of refusal, and it was doubtful that Yuan Shikai desired anything from such correspondence other than an opportunity to glorify himself as a lover of peace and vilify the Republic as an instigator of war. It was even more doubtful that Sun himself would survive the year if he actually agreed to join forces, knowing the would-be emperor as a ruthless and tyrannical politician who countenanced no threats to his power. Furthermore, both men were well aware that their visions for the nation were radically apart - to pretend otherwise was to make a mockery of both truth and reason. Sun refused to dignify such a hollow request with a response.

The letter took a while burn, the edges of the parchment slow to catch fire; however, once alight it was consumed in a matter of moments, reduced to a gray ash which clouded the hearth.

"Will you not write them back, sir?" Inquired one of his retainers, his concern palpable. He had taken note of the ostentatious seal affixed to the document.

"I think not, Zhen. Now, would you be so kind as to fetch the tea?"

Last edited:
600px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png

Proclamation to the Members of the European Commission of the Danube*

For quite a long time now the matter of navigation on the Danube has been of paramount interest to the powers of Europe. This commission, formed in 1856 by the Treaty of Paris at the close of the Crimean War, is the most obvious and long lasting evidence of such matters. The economic importance of the longest river in Europe is difficult to understate, and due to the numerous nations that depend upon the river for trade and as a source of water, it has long been recognized that no nation along the Danube is free to do whatever it pleases on the river, without regard for the welfare of its neighbors.

While the European Commission of the Danube only has jurisdiction over the section of the Danube between its mouth and the city of Brăila, the principle of freedom of navigation has never been limited to any portion of the Danube. The creation of a separate commission, the International Danube Commission, governing the remainder of the river has repeatedly been authorized but not organized, signifying the widespread acceptance of some level of international interest over the entirety of the Danube River.

In light of such precedence, the Dam on the Danube currently under construction by the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire is in gross opposition to the international nature of the Danube. Navigation of the river will be rendered entirely unfree, not to mention the catastrophic economic consequences for those who rely upon the lower Danube for their livelihood. Thus the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Monarchy is in violation of numerous treaties and agreements upholding the freedom of navigation of the Danube, namely the treaty of Paris (1856), Public Act of 1865, the London Conference of 1871, the Treaty of Berlin (1878), and the Treaty of London (1883). Further, despite repeated protests by the Romanian government about the economic consequences of such a project, the Austro-Hungarian-Croatian Empire has refused to cease construction of the dam and dismantle it.

To protect the freedom of navigation of the Danube, the Kingdom of Romania demands action by the involved parties to force the dismantlement of the dam on the Danube, and suggests a new conference be held to finally establish and organize an international body with authorization over the entirety of the Danube.

*United Kingdom, France, Austria-Hungary-Croatia, Italy, Russia, Germany, and the Ottoman Empire

"The Romanian government once again acts without provocation or forward thinking. The Danubian Dam is set high enough in the river in order to avoid blocking any and all movement in the lower channels. Furthermore, the doomsaying of the Romanian government is completely unfettered by the likes of scientific evidence or modern architecture. The Imperial, Royal, and Royal Dam Company (Imperiale, königliche und königliche Mutterfirma or IkkM) utilises the top talent from the United States of America, a nation of dams and progress, in order to ensure that the dam will be built with all mitigations of environmental effects in mind.

What the Romanian government actually fears is the literal power of the dam, and the progress it represents to all citizens of the Balkans. It is expected to house a reservoir of 24 miles cubed in the world's largest man-made fresh water lake. The power generated from this feat of engineering would be enough to power not only all of Transleithania, but also power multiple nations in the Balkans. Furthermore, this dam can represent needed stability within the Danube. Much like the Vienna-Danube Regulation of 1870, this will act as a controlling device to overcome the forces of nature that seek to ravage the southern Danubian coast. It was only 14 years ago that the Danube flooded to such an extend that it crested over it's banks by nearly 5 ft.

To which this is done. We are seeking to devise a radical change in how life is operated in the Balkans. Thanks to this dam, no more will there be a struggle to power Budapest, Temesvár, Belgrade, or Segedin. No more will the dry years mean no water, or the wet years mean flooding and destruction. No more will the forces of nature cow the peasant, hoping to the Lord that their crop does not drown or turn to dust.

The sole opposition of such a magnificent plan, a plan that could improve the life of individuals throughout the Central Balkans, is the Romanian government. A government that recently sent Europe into war. A government that saw to the death of over three million individuals over some folly in a swamp. This government, whose entire argument against this mighty dam is based on the flights of fancy equivalent to the pagan oracles of far off Amazon, seeks to infringe upon the right of this nation to enact true, meaningful, positive change in a region decimated by war and malcontent.

The Empire is not in violation of a single prior treaty, the Empire has indeed been operating with these treaties in mind, utilising this dam to the fullest potential in protecting the unhindered trade in the Danube. The Romanian Empire is out of line, out of order, and out of control. If a conference should occur, it should be regarding sanctions against the Romanian crown to punish it for it's seemingly unending belligerence to it's neighbours and quest for influence that rightfully remains the sole right of the Powers that be."