• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Red Seal Treaty

The Qing Empire hereby decrees the following:

1. Trade restrictions between the Qing Empire and the Tokugawa Shogunate will be relaxed. Tariffs on goods to be traded between the two nations will be set at no greater than 26%.
2. Japanese-flagged ships with manifests bearing the crimson seal of the Tokugawa Shogunate will be permitted in the Chinese ports of Tianjin, and Fuzhou. Conversely, the Tokugawa Shogunate shall open the ports of Kobe, Osaka, and Yokohama to Chinese-flagged ships with manifests bearing a crimson seal of the Qing Empire.
3. The Qing Empire agrees to receive a permanent envoy of the Tokugawa Shogunate to be housed in the Dong Jiangmi Xiang, east of Tiananmein Square. The Tokugawa Shogunate agrees to permit the settlement of a plenipotentiary representative of the Emperor of China in Kyoto.

[X] Jiaqing Emperor
[] Tokugawa Ienari

OOC: When is the next update? You said Thursday, but... Also, do I have to resent orders also, or was that b/c Boris' were about the war?

I said the deadline was Thursday. Next update is when I feel like it.

Probably soon.

Revolutions in Europe 1806

On the 7th of February 1806, US President Thomas Jefferson and Secretary of State James Madison met with representatives of the Spanish crown to sign the Treaty of Washington D.C, a document which would throw a nation into turmoil and civil war. As the Spanish delegation added its signatures to the treaty, its leader, Count Jose Silvonio, famously uttered the words 'And thus, I have killed my King.' in a grim foreboding of the treaties effect back home. The next day, the Count was found dead beneath a tree in Stanton park, having shot himself in despair and grief.

Spain6.jpg

1. Loyalist forces fighting with rioters in Madrid.

Tensions in Spain were already high. With rebellions in the colonies, the alienation of the nobles from the King, the disaster of Trafalgar and the removal of almost all garrison forces, many groups saw the opportunity to strike, but all were waiting for the right moment. It came on the 21st of February, when news of the treaties signing and its content reached Madrid. Enraged at the signing away of a huge amount of Spanish land, including some of the most profitable and stable parts of the Empire, huge mobs took to the streets of Madrid and other large cities, looting and engaging in scuffles with those soldiers and policemen who had stayed loyal to the crown.

With any semblance of order and stability that remained now shredded, various groups made efforts to rally the people to them and bring about change. The Catalonians and Basques, never fully integrated into Spanish culture, rose up and seized control of their homelands, declaring independence from Spain. Meanwhile in Madrid, leftist groups quickly bent a large part of the mob to their will and started to lay siege to the royal palace at El Escorial, with the Guard Regiments firing volleys and mounting charges to disperse the crowds, some of which had now armed. Not content to simply seize the capital, these groups also rallied the mobs in other cities, and established a strong position for themselves, particularly along the East coast. Desertion among the army and navy was rife, with the left gaining huge support from the average soldier and sailor.

attachment.php

2. Crown Prince Ferdinand, leader of the Fernandists.

The left was not the only threat however, and the threat from the right originated inside the royal palace itself. Backed by many prominent nobles and high ranking army officers who favoured a pro-British and anti-French policy, the Crown Prince Ferdinand led several guardsmen to capture his father and force his abdication. While most of the guard stayed loyal, too many were occupied holding off the mobs to defend their King, and the Crown Prince quickly seized him, although the King stubbornly refused to abdicate. The situation seemed bleak, until several thousand men, loyalist remnants of the Northern column bolstered by militias came to the relief of the Palace, breaking the mobs and rescuing the King from his son, who fled to the North, where he joined many powerful nobles too form the Ferndandists, who favoured a maintenance of the ancien regime, coupled with a change in foreign policy.

SpanishCivilWar.png

3. Map of the Spanish Civil War, 15th May 1806.
Loyalists - Dark Yellow
Fernandists - White
Constitucionalistas - Light Yellow
Republicanos - Light Orange
Catalans - Orange
Basques - Green
Galicians - Light Blue.

With El Escorial secured, the King rallied more militiamen to his cause, and set about restoring order to parts of central Spain, meeting some success in this endeavour. Further good news came from Cadiz, where loyalist sailors and officers had maintained control of the town and surrounding area for the King. Furthermore, the leftists, always fractured between radical and moderate wings, had fully split into 2 separate factions, the Constitucionalistas, who favoured a Constitutional Monarchy with significant power for the people and nobles, and the Republicanos, who favoured a complete overthrow of the monarchy, and the implementation of a Republic in the style of the French Revolution. Still, with a full blown civil war now underway, the situation was bleak for King Charles IV, and on the 5th of April, worse news was heard when the people of Galicia joined the Catalans and Basques in declaring their independence. [-110,000 Regulars from Spain, -2 Stability from Spain, +25,000 Conscripts to Spain, -4 Large Ships from Spain, -14 Small Ships from Spain, Spain engulfed in anarchy and civil war]

Spain was not the only European nation in trouble however. In Austria, the Hungarians were also stirring against their masters, emboldened as they were by a lack of troops and Austrian military defeat, the Revolutions in Spain, coupled with promises and funding from the French and Bavarians, proved to be the spark which set off the powder keg. Despite of the best efforts from the Austrian Government to stabilise the situation through propaganda, the Hungarians mood had improved little since the previous year, and although the deployment of 17,000 soldiers to Hungary strengthened the police, many of these soldiers were Hungarians themselves, and sympathised with or even supported the idea of an independent Hungary.

March15.jpg

4. Drawing of revolutionaries in Budapest.

In the early hours of the 7th of April, the revolutionaries made their final preparations and prepared to make their move against the Austrians. Many local policemen, officials and soldiers had been bribed or convinced to aid the revolutionaries, and throughout the Winter and early Spring the Hungarians had spread their forces throughout the country, so that when the moment came to strike, they could quickly seize control from the Austrians. At 6:30 in the morning, a servant opened a side entrance to Buda Castle, allowing in a group of revolutionaries, who quickly worked their way through the castle, overpowering the guards before they could raise the alarm and capturing the Austrian officials. Similar attacks were carried out at the Post Office and the various barracks in the city, and other rebel groups seized key bridges and other buildings. In some places, Austrian troops held out, barricading themselves into buildings and beating back Hungarian attacks until they were finally overrun, in others, they simply fled.

HungarianGeneralUprising.png

5. Map of the Hungarian General Uprising. Darker Red is land controlled, Light Red is land claimed.

By late evening, Budapest was under the full control of the revolutionaries, and Béla Szily, a nobleman gave a speech to a large crowd of Hungarians, proclaiming the restoration of the Kingdom of St Stephen and calling for a general uprising by the Hungarian people. Met by massive applause, he declared that he would take the office of Prime Minister and, until a suitable Monarch could be found, also that of Regent. This declaration sparked huge amounts of dissent in the Austrian Army, with many Hungarian officers and soldiers abandoning their posts to return home and fight for their nation. Many normal citizens also took up the rebel cause, forming militia regiments and preparing to defend their homeland and new independence. The news was treated with shock in Vienna, and whilst the removal of the Hungarians did also remove a large chunk of the dissatisfied population, there were fears that this example, if not swiftly crushed, would lead to more revolts by the Poles, Italians or Slavs, and many were beginning to question the wisdom of the Austrian leadership. [-92,500 Regulars from Austria, -275 Base Income from Austria, -10 Trade Balance from Austria, -10 Trade Balance from Prussia, Kingdom of Hungary declared, Kingdom of Hungary looking for suitable Monarch, -1 Stability from Austria, Potential further revolts if General Uprising successful]​

OOC: I come back from my hiatus and this happens to me. Oh, now the fun begins.

Also, I had sent 25,000 regulars, not 17,000?

People of France! Men now know that freedom is everything! The Hungarians have revolted against the oppressive Austrians, it is only a matter of time until the rest of the Austrian Empire attempts to free themselves. It is our duty to assist our brothers to gain their freedom! I call on all peoples under the rule of an oppressive monarchy to revolt and join the cause of freedom! I also announce that my brother offers himself as a possible monarch for the Hungarians if they wish. France would like to sign a military alliance with the Hungarians as all free people of the world must support each other.

His Imperial Majesty, Napoleon I, Emperor for the French

This revolt will not be allowed to pass. Taking up the crown of this pretender state will be near equal to a death sentence. Russia will ride to the rescue of their ally if needed and we will not permit such to happen elsewhere. Our empire will not allow chaos to reign supreme in europe. Any people considering an uprising would be wise to consider what will be riding against them shortly. We will put to fire those that allow themselves to be used as agents of the vile French tyrant. France will further their use of pawns to defeat their foes but as with Spain, their allies will see no victory. We seek to maintain order in europe, the tyrant seeks to throw the world into chaos.

((OOC: psss...austria...time for an awesome rallying cry speech. :p))

This revolt will not be allowed to pass. Taking up the crown of this pretender state will be near equal to a death sentence. Russia will ride to the rescue of their ally if needed and we will not permit such to happen elsewhere. Our empire will not allow chaos to reign supreme in europe. Any people considering an uprising would be wise to consider what will be riding against them shortly. We will put to fire those that allow themselves to be used as agents of the vile French tyrant. France will further their use of pawns to defeat their foes but as with Spain, their allies will see no victory. We seek to maintain order in europe, the tyrant seeks to throw the world into chaos.

((OOC: psss...austria...time for an awesome rallying cry speech. :p))

The Emperor of Russia as with all the tyrants of Europe merely wishes to oppress the people. He has no desire to see people gain there freedom for that would end his power. Why is Hungary a pretender state? They have as long a history as Russia and a longer one then Austria. They, along with all other people of the world, deserve their freedom as new states if they wish for it. Any people considering an uprising would be wise to consider their own fortitude and strength and also who will be riding with them.

His Imperial Majesty, Napoleon I, King for the French

500px-Flag_of_the_Habsburg_Monarchy.svg.png

Citizens of the Empire!--

Today I speak solemnly to the people of this great Empire. We have experienced a terrible tragedy as a nation: there has been a rebellion, on a massive scale. Thousands have flocked to those that have orchestrated this incident, intent on destroying this great Empire and ruling their own people as tyrants. This rebellion in Hungary has struck at the heart of the nation, and threatens to spread to every extremity of this Empire. But I encourage those with sound minds capable of reason to resist the urge to fight.

As the greatest men of this Empire are fighting on the front lines with our Russian and Prussian allies against Napoleon and his lackeys in southern Germany, these men in Hungary have stabbed us in the back, denied us their loyalty, and intend to destroy our very Empire from within following the results of the Battle of Passau. But people of the Empire -- do not fret! Behind you stand half a million able-bodied men of this nation ready to do what is necessary to save their culture, their Empire, and their lives. They are a part of one of the finest armies on this continent, who have fought the French for over a year and have not given in in the face of defeat and seemingly overwhelming odds; they have not given in. They have continued to fight. Their resolve is implacable, and they are the greatest men of the Empire.

As for the Hungarians, I implore for them to see reason. This rebellion will seek to do nothing to further the people of Hungary as well as the people of the Empire. The peoples of this Empire are equal to the eyes of the Kaiser and the brethren of each and every citizen, as they are all capable of great things.

It is not surprising to hear that this rebellion was funded, supplied, and encouraged by the French. They have slid around the standards of warfare and have proceeded to engage in dirty espionage. If this is their version of warfare, then it is truly despicable.

Amnesty will be granted to those that lay down their arms and cease fighting against the Empire and her people. Fighting and killing need not happen. If the Hungarians that have revolted have enough reason to see this and lay down their arms, they will be vindicated and will not be punished.

So do not lose hope, citizens! This rebellion must be ended, either by those that have started it or by the army that defends them from Napoleon and his hordes! We must work together to achieve prosperity; tearing the nation apart through rebellion during a key point of this war will do no good for anyone other than the French. So come together, people of Germany, people of Bohemia, people of Moravia, people of Italy, people of Poland, people of Croatia, and yes, even people of Hungary! We must fight together to stop the French from conquering this continent and subjecting all of its people to their wrath and tyranny.

Francis II, Emperor of Austria
Roman Emperor Elect

The Fate Of Cowards

The recent rebellions of Spain have demonstrated the fate of cowards who attack unreasonably and fle at the first sign of resistance. The country of Portugal are overjoyed to see this ultimate fate of the Spaniards. Portugal will not hesitate to take advantage of this fractioned Iberia, in the end hoping to unite the peninsula under one rule. We implore the French to let us unite the Iberian peninsula, as it is dangerous to all people on the peninsula if this fractured warring continues.

So Portugal takes happiness in the suffering of civilians, Because of the mistakes of one man must a whole country suffer? Is this what Portugal views as victory, war, suffering and pointless atrocities? France will not allow Portugal to annex any land of Spain in this troubled time unless the local populace agrees. The Army of Toulouse consisting of 100,000 men will oppose any foreign intervention in our ally while it's in this state. France will not intervene in the Spanish war unless any party declares it will cancel the Franco-Spanish alliance.

How surprising. The French are now extending their hand, whose hunger does not end, into the territory of their former allies. Now the people of Spain must suffer under the hands of Napoleon's men. Such is the price of imperialism.

Roman Emperor Elect

How surprising. The French are now extending their hand, whose hunger does not end, into the territory of their former allies. Now the people of Spain must suffer under the hands of Napoleon's men. Such is the price of imperialism.

Roman Emperor Elect

We have said we will defend the territory of our ally from foreign agression, not that we will attack them. Perhaps all the good Imperial secretaries were Hungarian?

The king of Portugal is baffled by the reaction of France. Nowhere in our response did I say I was happy because of the Spanish civilians. The joy I mentioned was that the leaders of the Spaniards were disposed. At least, that was what I meant, if it was mistaken for joy at the suffering of civilians, then I apologize. Furthermore, I attempting to unite the Iberian peninsula, I am trying to PREVENT the suffering of civilians. If the emperor of France is unhappy with the measures being taken to prevent this suffering, then I am surprised, for you have the reputation of a humanitarian. I would also like to point out, that these people have declared independence from Spain, and therefore not your ally.

The king of Portugal is baffled by the reaction of France. Nowhere in our response did I say I was happy because of the Spanish civilians. The joy I mentioned was that the leaders of the Spaniards were disposed. At least, that was what I meant, if it was mistaken for joy at the suffering of civilians, then I apologize. Furthermore, I attempting to unite the Iberian peninsula, I am trying to PREVENT the suffering of civilians. If the emperor of France is unhappy with the measures being taken to prevent this suffering, then I am surprised, for you have the reputation of a humanitarian. I would also like to point out, that these people have declared independence from Spain, and therefore not your ally.

The Galicians, Basques and Catalans have declared independence from Spain, the others are still part of Spain. I also do not believe that any of the factions would appreciate Portugal intervening. I will not accept any foreign intervention especially one that wishes to annex the entirety of Spain.

Last edited: