• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GM Note: After a long period of reflection and the implementation of stop-gap measures to try and ensure that this game was maintained, I am sorry to announce to everyone here that Twilight Struggle is officially going to cease operations. I've come to this conclusion through my own lack of enthusiasm towards GMing this game, and indeed, in GMing all Nation-based games. With that, I am also going to announce that I shall be retiring from large-scale nation-based games after three years of GMing the marquee World in Revolution brand. While I will not rule out returning to help GM a WiR-type game, I am afraid I can not see any point in the foreseeable future where I shall undertake the lead on such a large project once again. This does not mean, however, that I will retire completely from the forum game sphere. I have several ideas that I have been developing for some time that may or may not be launched in the future, and I shall always keep the door open for a return of a World in Revolution game, but it would be on a much smaller scale than what we have experienced over these years.

I would like, however, to personally thank Duke of Britain and Spectre17, both of whom have been around since the very very early days of World in Revolution: 1861. While maybe not in all of my games, you two have been a constant presence over the past three years for sure. I would also like to thank KeldoniaSkylar and Stormbringer, both of whom had engineered and pioneered different systems of keeping track of stats, which had been the fundamental backbone of World in Revolution games for the past three years. I've also got to give a massive thanks to Mathrim, who has above all been the best co-GMs that this subforum has ever seen. Without him, I doubt that the critical successes that have been the WiR: 1920 were would have been possible without him. I must also give mentions to everyone else who resides permanently in my Office on IRC, you've always been able to provide good feedback and debate on how the game is run. And finally, I need to give the best and biggest thanks of all to each and every person in the World in Revolution Community. All of these three years would have been impossible without all of you. Whenever someone shall look back to these games, they must realise the tremendous amount of effort that our community has put into these games. All of the treaties, the IC, the political situations, the information, would not have been possible without you. I hope everyone reflects back on their own participation and the fun they had in this game, I know for the majority of the time I had a blast as well. Thank you all.

Found my way into these games a few years back and I never looked back. Thank you Fry for allowing me to experience these games and find my way into a great community.

I joined only a few months ago, but I've had a blast participating in your games Fry, learned a ton along the way and cant thank you enough for the experience and fun atmosphere.

As we do say, אלוהים יברך אותך.

May God Bless you and Keep You.

It's been a good three years for sure, and I'd would have liked to have been more present in the games than I was in the past few months. I would like to thank Fry and all the co-GMs who have helped him GM WiR, it has been really fun to play with all of you and I do hope that those games will continue in the future.

Either way, I do hope the IRC channel will survive, as this is a pretty interesting and insane community. :p

Thank you Frymonmon and everyone else who has made these games possible. The games have been phenomenal, but most impressive is the community that has been built around it. And I do not believe even for a second that this is the end for Fry - in three months time I am sure there will be a signup for a new game, and I want my name at the top.

Thanks for two years of fun Frymonmon and co-gms, my various attempts to maneuver Afghanistan and other less well off nations throughout history will be quite good memories for a long while to come. Though I do hope that Storm and/or Keld can pick up the torch for these games and keep the nation building running so that one day Afghanistan will westernize without outside help. One day!

But ya, once again thanks for everything Fry.

Very sad to see you go, Frymonmon, but I'm sure that you will have great game ideas in the future. And hopefully we'll see more WiR-esque games from you too. I will not forget my first game as Maoist China for a long time, and my various escapades as Sweden have all been very enjoyable to experience. Communist Israel was also a very charming nation to play, an attempt at forging a new nation while surrounded by enemies, but still managing to expand significantly in terms of territory. Lately, the White Russian faction was also something that could have turned into precisely anything depending on events or my mood at the time. Fascist Russia? Democratic Russia? Or the return of the Tsar? Who knows?

The Polish People's Republic deserved more time and effort from me than it got, but I still had ideas to make it a unique communist country with a flavour of its own. Good luck in whatever you will do, Fry, and I'll try to be there if you need players in the future.

Talking from the perspective from one of the (or the) youngest WiR player's who played in your awesome games, I'd like to say a really profound thanks for hosting these games and teaching me many useful things that I will carry on to use in the future. But more than that, you have really pointed me in a direction that I don't think I will abandon in the near future at least. That direction being a profound interest in economics, nation related stuff, and quite recently, mathematics. I am also really sorry for going dark for the past few months because of some high school things (homework, chasing girls~). Would just like to end this with the fact that I do not regret a single moment of my time spent with WiR as the lows of having my orders fail horribly and the highs of my plans succeeding both contribute to my enjoyment of this game both as a huge source of fun and also as a huge source of learning.

Also, I would like to say that I these words do not do justice to the gratitude and thanks I have for the immense effort you put in to WiR and that I would REALLY like to keep my promise to start a WiR game circa after I finish college :D

WiR is over?

You know, it has been at least half a year since I have been blacklisted (Yes I am one of a few selected group of individuals not allowed to play this game), and seeing now that WiR is over makes me remember things. I remember the first time I wanted to play WiR, and was still pretty noobish to the inter-workings of these forums. This was the first game that caught my eye when I entered the OT Forum. I remember this was the second chat-room on IRC I entered. I was so young to these forums, and so stupid too.

I still remember when I got banned, and I still regret the decisions I made to this day. I am sure the majority of other blacklisted players can agree with me on this, but most banned players usually feel a bit of guilt, sometimes going back and saying "It was my total fault, and I wish I got a second chance". While this was indeed just a forum game, on a not so popular forum, the fact of getting banned forever from something stunned me. I usually assumed that a perma-ban was the result of hacking or something.

Anyway, while Fry has never liked me, and will probably never will, I still like to thank WiR for getting me involved in forums games on here in the first place. I never really used forums, not to mention play forum games. I was not very involved in Federation of Equals, an IAAR on the Vicky 2 forums. WiR showed me all the other forum games out there. Without it, the majority of games I currently play now, like Power to the People, Masters of the Galaxy, Edge of Europe, etc, I would not be playing. I would not have been involved in most other forum games without first experiencing WiR. It is safe to say that my true involvement in these forums started with WiR. I would have never met such a spectacular community without experiencing this game.

Most people ask why I got so worked up about getting banned. Well because WiR was actually the first game I ever got to experience. It introduced me to the OT Forums, to forum games in general, and would help influence my own short-running forum game.

So while it is a dam shame that me and Fry never really got along, I still wish to thank him for making a game that has earned a lot of respect on these forums, and for making the game that helped influence me to play and experiment other forum games. I hope that one day I may be able to play with this community again, and I hope one day that me and Fry will finally reconcile. I hope that all former banned WiR players and Fry reconcile.

I wish you luck in your life, and I once again apologize for any actions that me have made you dislike me Fry.

Frymonmon,

Thank you for hosting the World in Revolution series. It has been an incredible and enjoyable experience. Your tireless work as the GM is much appreciated and I thank you for the tremendous fun that these forum games have been.

Though I am relatively new to the forum games community, and haven’t participated in many games within the WiR Series, I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the few that I have taken part in. Some of my favourite memories of the series include playing as famine stricken India, the disaster-turned-success of the Portuguese wool industry, and those timeless words: “Dios y Trujillo!”

What I enjoyed most of all, however, was the way that the game urged players to read about various periods in history, to study countries and events which would never have found their way onto the syllabus of any university course; I will miss the constant learning that the World in Revolution series encouraged.

Although I'm one of the newest additions to the WiR community, I have thoroughly enjoyed the two games I was able to take part in. Thanks Fry!

Having played these games for almost three years now I would like to thank Frymonmon for his incredible dedication to the WiR games. From the original 1861 all the way through to Twilight Struggle the quality of the updates has been fantastic and the detail of these games was excellent. I would also like to thank the whole player base for participating and allowing these games to stay so fun for so long.