• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Can't be very active in this for now, but it seems very interesting.))

John Myborough
Birth Year: May 1871
Culture: Dutch
Field: "Policeman"
Family/Gang: Five Points Gang

Bio: Officer Myborough just kinda... appeared in New York.

Last edited:
Orders due June 29th. I never set a date, but that's ok for everyone who hasn't sent order.

Wherever they are, I'll go at 'em with everything I got. No bloody criminal gonna escape my grasp.

3207-thumb-md-300x385.jpg

WZiexQp.png

Name: Antonio Paolo Pieroginni
Birth Year: 12th May, 1865 (age 33)
Culture: Sicilian (or Italian)
Field: Criminal
Family/Gang: the Pieroginni Crime Family
Biography:

Born on the isle of Sicily, in a poverty stricken town nearby Palermo, he had no choice but to turn to crime due to the small number of opportunities provided by the neighborhood. He started out with petty theft; he stole mainly from farms and groceries. At the age of fifteen he joined a small gang that tasked it with smuggling forbidden and untaxed goods into Palermo. It was during this period of his “Career” that he was first involved with the violent side of criminal life.

At age nineteen he killed an officer of the local Police after a deal went bad – fearing repercussions he fled, first to Spain and then to the United States of America, to his cousin. He quickly turned to crime in his new home. Through his twenties he robbed liquor stores and ran illegal gambling rackets. He landed in prison for four years, where he made contacts with other Italians. It was there that he first learned about true organized crime, and the workings of the mafia. He came out of jail with a drive and motivation to create his own crime syndicate. Together with his cousin he began to find and recruit men that would do the dirty work for him. After a while his influence began to grow considerably – using his close friendships within the Five Points Gang he began to expand the “family”. The family operates from East Harlem, and the Pieroginni’s main sources of income are illegal alcohol distilleries, illegal gambling sites and harassment of local businesses.

Last edited:
iFQlRba.jpg

WZiexQp.png

Name: Ambrosia Violanta Scillato
Birth: Born in July 1877 (21), in a very poor place Sicily
Culture: Sicilian
Field: Criminal
Biography: Ambrosia Violanta Scillato was born in Sicily, as a cousin of Antonio Paolo Pieroginni. Unlike Antonio, Ambrosia had a relatively easy childhood, as her parents were able to acquire somewhat more wealth, with their own little criminal activities, namely poaching from government forests and black market sales. Her first - and so far only - murder was committed when she was ten, as she brutally assaulted a goose which had stolen her wallet. This was a somewhat traumatic experience for her, and maybe influenced the development of her character. Quite quickly it started to seem like all the criminal activities had turned Ambrosia to a very underhand young woman. She was also considered somewhat spoiled, as she got quite much everything she wanted – either by making some of the young men of the town steal it for her or by stealing it herself. This angered her parents, who deemed her activities salacious, and put her under house arrest.

As the fame of his cousin’s criminal exploits spread to Sicily, Ambrosia started scheming a plan to get to America and join up with him, as Sicily was by now too small for her. She started accumulating cash and small items needed for her escape. One day, when she was allowed to leave the Scillato mansion to visit Palermo with her aunt, she noticed a Levantine dance troupe in the town. And she also found they were departing to America with the next steamship. Teaming up with the Levantines, she escaped from her aunt, hid her money and valuables among the belongings of the troupe and left Sicily – forever.

Before America, Ambrosia visited Algiers, Madrid, Lisbon and other cities – taking part in the dance shows of the al-Qebab’s dance troupe as an Oriental dancer. This made her even more egoistic – believing that her beauty and intelligence were unmatched. One day before arriving to Ellis Island along with the troupe she decided to seduce the lead dancer, steal all his belongings and disappear to the ship’s cargo hold. She was then able to make her way to land, and disappear to the City looking for her cousin, who she expects to pay for her needs and help her build her criminal career in the bustling New York of late 19th Century.
Family: Pieroginni Crime Family

((Uh, oh. one family already has two people. This doesn't bode well for the cop players.))

Leslie_five_points_new_york_1885_3c22660v.jpg

The Year of 1898

MacConnors

Arthur MacConnor, an aspiring young policeman from Derry, tries to use his clout within the precinct to be promoted to Detective. Unfortunately for him, his boss just laughs it off. His words are “Son, it’s good that you’re a proper Irish boy, but it takes more than a few requests and some kind words to make life go ‘round here”.

Arthur then tries to do his job and arrest criminals. The good news is there are lots of criminals in New York to arrest; the only problem is that all seem to be connected to gangs at the moment. Overall the year seems to go by quickly with not much done with only a paycheck collected.

Progressives:

Theodore Pietersen, an up and coming politician and leader of the Progressives realises something. If one is to eradicate gang crime in New York City, they cannot do it alone.
Pietersen, knowing what’s what, therefore visits Alfred Jones in an attempt to come to an agreement regarding the politics of the City. Knowing that both were not Irish and therefore kept out of the inner workings of Tammany Hall, they come to an agreement and become acquaintances, maybe even friends.

Pietersen then begins limited campaigning in New York. He is forced out of strongly held Tammany Hall and immigrant districts, but finds traction in the old settler (and old money) families that like in Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn who are willing to support him in municipal politics.

Jones Family

The first thing Alfred attempts to do as a politician in the year 1898 was found a bill that allowed the New York Police Department to hire another hundred men. However this gets laughed out of City Hall by the Tammany Brigade, who know that they have more than enough protection, with or without the police force.

Alfred, snubbed in City Hall, then goes to the Police to see which of his local cops are bribed and which aren’t. While he doesn’t sniff out much in the way of who is bribed (besides the lieutenant), he manages to wrangle up four young and idealistic police officers who see law and order as best in the community. They form the core of whatever Alfred has planned for them.

The last thing he does is appoint his brother Timothy Jones as head of the family’s finances. Fairly adept at accounting, Tim does an average job of making the family more money.

Business Guild

Hans Gliderman attempts to find a supplier of discount cost goods, even going so far as to bribe the local patrolman to look the other way when the shipments come in. Unfortunately for him, the only person to come out on top was the patrolman, who whistled a tune of happiness while Hans was unable to secure any sort of meaningful connection during the year.

Hans, who wanted more inventory, had planned to expand the store before. Seeing that he didn’t, he went ahead with it anyway, buying out the next door shop and knocking down the wall. There were no issues at all with the expansion, and hires some local boys to help out. This expansion will allow Hans to make more money and continue to provide the life he wanted for his wife and his child.

Five Points Gang

John Myborough attempts to persuade his boss, William Stephen Devery, to promote him to Chief of Manhattan through hard work and other … various means. His arrest of John Torrio (see below) finally makes up Bill Devery’s mind, with Myborough sitting at his new desk in December of 1898. The promotion comes with a stipulation however. Stay away from Tammany Hall, and anyone under their protection.

Myborough then attempts to make any connection of his to the Five Points Gang be forgotten as he raids a minor money laundering operation on Mulberry Street in the Fifth Ward of Manhattan. What was supposed to be a minor operation quickly turned into a debacle for Myborough but a coup for the police as John Torrio, second in command of the Five Points Gang, was there checking up on the illegal activities to see if all was well and proper. It is known that Paul Kelly, the leader of the Five Points Gang, is none too pleased with the actions of Myborough and expects rectification, or else.

Salvatore Mauro begins by doing what he is told, collecting racket money from businesses across the Sixth Ward. However when he attempts to collect money from one of the last stores on his tour, he comes across a posse of Eastman gangers who are out to teach their rivals, the Five Pointers, a lesson. Mauro, a brute that he is, doesn’t do anything to hide his affiliation, which results in a brawl in front of the store. Unfortunately for Mauro, he was outnumbered and outgunned as he is beaten badly by the six men. They took whatever money he had collected, plus his wallet, and left him to die. The good news is that he was quickly found and brought home. He needs to recover from the beating he took, but he has the Five Point Gang on his side.

Mauro sends on of his friends to pick up a small revolver for cheap. His friend comes back with the small revolver, a dozen rounds and change. While it was not his lucky day, he now had protection against future assault.

Pieroginni Gang

Don Pieroginni, a smart man, plans the establishment of a small butcher store to act as a front for his illegal activities and recruitment drives. However sometimes even the smartest man misses a detail, and the entire butcher store is demolished by City Hall due to “violating zoning bylaws”, which in short hand means bought out by Tammany Hall. Another, slightly larger, butcher shop is established controlled by Tammany Hall influenced Hudson Dusters. All of the Don’s money is lost in the venture.

Much much more successful is the Don’s organisation of the entire criminal enterprise. Reorganising the entirety of the gang into a pyramid scheme, he established the rank of caporegime, or captain. Each captain was a trusted member of the gang whom the Don had his Consigliere personally promote. The entire system resulted in an upward shift in loyalty and an upswing in recruitment as more and more Italian immigrants turned to them over the likes of the Tammany Hall guided Five Points Gang for protection.

Ambrosia V. Scillato begins dancing for the Raging Cock, a Pieroginni owned drinking establishment. Quickly becoming a headliner due to her exotic beauty, she turned the Raging Cock from a minor income earner to one of the more popular strip joints in New York City. There she also heard the recent issues of the Five Points Gang, and their recent failures.

Ambrosia also turned to Italian Harlem on her time off from dancing in disguise. There she gave food to the wives of men in order to make the Pieroginni family look attractive as a secondary option to the notoriously corrupt New York Police Department. This campaign was a general success, as even more Italian immigrants begin to see the Pieroginni family as the preeminent family of New York City, opposing the long-time controller Don Paul Kelly.

Other

The Jews of the Levinsky gang went relatively untouched during the year of 1898, as they continued to operate Stuss games and pay dues to Tammany Hall.

As well, the South Brooklyn Gang had a pretty monotonous year. Though forced to pay their dues to Tammany Hall following a not-so-polite visit by the Police Chief of NYC to Abraham Herzog, members such as Archie Chandler made a pretty good living that year.

Last edited:
Note: The following changes have been made.

Individual stats now show direct underlings and Clout divided between the legal and illegal world.

Family stats now show a location (or best guess), more generalised income for large families & organisations, a division between PC and NPC members, and general NPC numbers to give the Head a better idea of who has what.

Bakery and Imperator, I am disappoint

((Is it correct that my income has not changed, and that my legal/illegal Clout is in the wrong order?))

((You are correct on both counts, brb.

Edit: fixed.))

I am honoured to take up my duties as Police Chief of Manhattan. We will finally be able to take action against the immigrant thugs who soil the fine pavements of New York City, and we will restore Law and Order to this city.

To this end, we will need skilled and incorruptible Police officers. This can only be guaranteed if we provide our servicemen with a decent wage, however, I cannot pay the entire NYPD out of my own pockets. That is for the politicians to act on. I can, however, offer Agent MacConnor a position as Manhattan Police Sergeant at an additional pay of $10 per year. I hope he accepts, for MacConnor is an honourable and trustworthy gentleman.

- Chief John Myborough of Manhattan

Aye, I accept your offer. Crime isn't going to stand a chance with us around here.

~Arthur MacConnor

I've been looking for some goods to fill my store. Cheap goods. If someone where to somehow provide goods to me inexpensively, I could look the other way when it comes to how the goods were obtained...

-Hans

Note: The following changes have been made.

Individual stats now show direct underlings and Clout divided between the legal and illegal world.

Family stats now show a location (or best guess), more generalised income for large families & organisations, a division between PC and NPC members, and general NPC numbers to give the Head a better idea of who has what.

Bakery and Imperator, I am disappoint

[I'm sorry it completely slipped my mind :(]

Name: Ludwig Hohlenberg

Birth Year: January 3rd, 1874

Culture: Bavarian German

Field: Policeman

Biography: His parents having immigrated to the United States from the Kingdom of Bavaria in the early 1800's along with the wave of German immigrants, Ludwig, named after the Bavarian king as to not forget his roots, was born the first American in his family. Born and raised in Little Germany, Manhattan, Ludwig was raised with Christian morals, taught to be chivalrous and kind. This stuck, and inspired Ludwig to pursue a career has a officer of the law, keeping his city safe. Young, ambitious, and moral, maybe young Ludwig can survive and resist the moral decay of the big city.

Family: Independent

Chief Myborough sits down and reads through the recent recruitment reports. Two names (or rather, their results on the training course) stand out in particular.

Officers Hohlenberg and Goodman, do you intend to join the Manhattan police force? I know my colleagues in Brooklyn in particular have been harrassing the new recruits to cross over to their side of the river, but I assure you that Manhattan is where the action's at. If you want to serve the law, join the Manhattan NYPD.

New betting shop opened - NYPD keeps a wary eye out

By our correspondent, who has not been bribed to write this, at all.

Three businessmen related to the Five Points Gang have opened a betting shop on Broadway/Canal St. Although the venue is strictly legal, authorities have expressed their concern about possible criminal activities which might be going on behind the scenes. The founders themselves, however, have denied any connection to the criminal underworld.

The Family Race, as the establishment is to be known, will run horse-racing games throughout the year. Their main event, however, are the New Jersey Grand Prize horse races, for which the most influential New Yorkers come out to bet. Players bet on several options for a fixed price, and the victors win it all. For the year 1899, the betting is as follows:

1. Shadow Lining - $2 bets
Shadow Lining is this year's favourite horse, having won many tournaments before over the course of her three-year career. Bookies estimate her chances of winning at a solid 60%, but rumours have been circulating about a strained ankle, and Shadow Lining's caretaker has apparently been spotted at a spiritual healer.
2. Crazy Gecko - $1 bets
Crazy Gecko is considered the most solid horse in the race. Strong and consistent, this horse runs its many laps in nearly the same time. However, having been in the game for over 6 years, Crazy Gecko's consistent speed is not an all too fast one. Bookies estimate his chances at 25%.
3. Outran the Butcher - $1 bets
Outran the Butcher is a young horse with a witty jockey. This horse has never won a grand prize, but almost beat the favourite in a mad dash three games ago. Bookies estimate his chances at winning at 15%, but if any horse is going to be this year's surprise, it's Outran the Butcher.

In case of no winner: Money is returned
Administration fees: None

Risky bets might be worth the effort, since they are cheaper. Also keep an eye on which bets are placed more often, since everyone who bet for the victor gets an equal cut. Bet for the outsider, and you might just get the greatest cut!

________________________________​
The above is a GM-approved mechanic, and you can all participate. Just announce in-thread how much money you want to bet on which horse, and I'll make sure everything is processed and the victors get paid. Bets are final as soon the update is posted. The betting is also completely fair, I will draw a random winner according to odds and a formula I have already written down.
Please wager a gamble, it's most fun if we all participate! ;)

For clarity, the options are:
1) Shadow Lining, $2 bets, 60% chance of winning with a chance of bad luck
2) Crazy Gecko, $1 bets, 25% chance of winning
3) Outran the Butcher, $1 bets, 15% chance of winning with a chance of good luck