• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lorenzo Palatino
Culture: Italian
Position: Priest
Biography: Born to poor farmers living near Rome, there were never many expectations for him; however, he possessed a surprising and vast intelligence, and an insatiable thirst for knowledge. He soon became a regular visitor to the local church, and from the priest there, he learned to read and write. In 1076, after several years of studying at his local parish, he set out on his own, on a quest to see the world and learn all he could; he gather what money and supplies available, and set out on the dirt paths to the north, lodging where he could and finding work to keep him fed.

His journey led him to Florence and Milan, where he gained insight to Imperial politics on the peninsula. Following that, he reached Paris, where he read about Charlemagne and the glorious Carolingian Empire, and current French affairs. When he reached Barcelona, he became exposed to Islamic culture, and soon headed south to Cordoba, where his wit and thirst for knowledge impressed the many scholars residing there; finishing his studies there, he travelled to the Jewel of the World, Constantinople, where he spent two years learning about the Greek Church. By then, it was 1081, and Lorenzo longed for home; as such bought passage to Venice, where he studied the arts of intrigue and business under its great bankers.

In early 1082, he returned to Rome and soon found himself a position in the Catholic Church; since his appointment, he has devoted himself to studying.

The Calling of Conclave, 1085

500px-Coat_of_arms_Holy_See.svg.png

The College of Cardinals is hereby summoned to the City of Rome to take part in the Conclave to elect the successor to Pope Gregory VII.

Cardinal de Sabelli, Cardinal Damiano, Cardinal Caron, Cardinal Berg, Cardinal di Palizzi, Cardinal Hugh, Cardinal Montfort, Cardinal de Aquitaine, and Cardinal Palatino... who among you will be the next Bishop of Rome?

GM Note: First, stats are up. The Land Value is your annual income (Cardinals get 40 ducats a year, soldiers get 10), wealth and influence are self-explanatory. Wealth and Land are transferable between players, influence is not, though one can use it on another's behalf. Those interested in running for the Papacy should IC stating so, as well as any Cardinals who wish to support another for the Papacy are encouraged to as well, though it is not required. If you end up needed to buy votes with something other than Curia spots, upon your election you must PM me explaining what to give to whom. Both IC debate on the thread and backroom deals are encouraged. Have fun.

The deadline for the first round of voting will be Monday, April 22, at 11:59 EDT.

I, Cardinal Hans Berg, give my full support and vote to Cardinal Hugh of Cluny. With the death of Pope Gregory VII, we need a strong and devout leader to take his place. In my opinion, Cardinal Hugh of Cluny fits the role better than any. He is the most suited, for such a pious and holy lifestyle.

Name: Henre deAlberte
Birth: 1044 (41)
Culture: French
Biography: Henre deMonte was born in Bordeaux in 1044, the last son of a wealthy merchant, Henre was expected to join the local clergy, and over time amassed a powerful religious politicians with very particular political beliefs, especially those focused around the increasing opposition to the Holy Roman Emperor. Henre has become a experienced priest, and is in charge of a series of small monasteries along to western coast of France.

I, Cardinal Cesare Damiano, support Cardinal Hugh of Cluny to be our next Pope. He is a man with a strong vision, and we could definitly use such leadership.

~ Cardinal Cesare Damiano

I support Hugh of Cluny.

I support Hugh of Cluny.

GM Note: If I get the last two Cardinal's votes, then there will be a mini up tonight or tomorrow, so NikoHOI3 and theAhawk please cast your vote if you want an update soon. Remember that in order to cast your official ballot, you must PM me on Paradox. Finally, stats are up and located on the Character list after the OP. Any questions on stats or Conclave, simply ask.

((Hey RNN, how do anti-popes work IG? I believe we currently have one to deal with Antipope Clement III, who is backed by the HRE. Also is it possible for players, if they are cardinals, to crown their own candidate as the real Pope thereby making an anti-Pope? I ask because I was just looking at Clement III, and begun to wonder whether antipopes were something players could create or if they were restricted to GM decision.))

I, too, support Cardinal Hugh of Cluny.

Conclave Election Results, 1085

500px-Coat_of_arms_Holy_See.svg.png

Each Cardinal kissed their ballot, said the blessing, and quietly put it in the cup. After all the votes were cast, the ecclesiastical lawyer began counting. Once he was done, he was stunned.

"Cardinal Hugh has garnered nine votes. Cardinal Hugh has the required majority."

The other lawyers in the room were stunned. The next Pope, elected in one vote, and unanimously at that. It was truly a sign from God himself that this man was called to the Papacy. Cardinal Hugh dropped to his knees in prayer, Cardinal no more. The other Cardinals followed suit, eager to earn the favor of the new Bishop of Rome. The ballots were quickly burned, and the smoke slowly rose up the chimney. The cheering from outside could be heard all the way in the Conclave chambers, as the people of Rome saw the white smoke rising into the crisp Roman air. Next was the test that the new Pope was truly a man. As the poor boy who had to check put it, "Penis et duobus testibus." All was well, and everyone quickly moved on. The new Pontiff was measured and outfitted with his Papal robes, made up the finest fabrics and laced in gold, and began to walk toward the balcony. As the new Pope walked down the halls of St. Peter's Basilica, the Papal Guard opened up the windows, and the light seemed to follow his very step. As he stepped out on the balcony, the roar was deafening. Next to him, a herald cried out: "HABEMUS PAPAM!" As the new Pope raised his right hand, the whole of Rome dropped to one knee to receive his blessing.

"In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."

GM Note: Congratulations, Maxwell500. You are the new Pope. Please PM me your papal name, any transfer of land or wealth (here or IRC), and post your Curia. As for Tapscott's question, you will all soon have to deal with Clement III. There are consequences for electing a French Pope and not a Roman. Players are able to crown antipopes, but it will require GM approval so we don't have 9 Popes and no cardinals.

Last edited:
I can say I am truly astounded by the results of the conclave, it could only be a sign that God finds me ready and able to assume the position of Supreme Pontiff. I have also, after some deliberation, decided on my Curia, it is as follows:

Leone de Sabelli as Vice Chancellor.

Andre Caron as Secretary of State.

Cesare Damiano as Chamberlain of the Apostolic Camera.

Godefroy de Aquitaine as Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura.

Antonio Dandolo as Captain-General of the Papal Army.

Albert was surprised. A new Pope after just one round of voting. He had asked older people but nobody could remember something like this happening. On the other hand, it surely was a problematic vote. Electing a french Pope would not please the Emperor nor the people of Rome. The new Pope immediately put down a marker, when he assigned his Curia, that consisted equally of french and italian individuals. A french-italian Alliance versus the Emperor. Although that was kind of logic considering the recent relationship between Heinrich and the Holy See.

But all that was not his problem. He and his companions took up their weapons to begin their watch.

In southern France, cheers of joy and shouts of Habemus papam can be heard throughout the manors, where the serfs have flocked to the Common Ground to sing and dance to their Lord. The Monasteries and Churches were filled the following day, as such news or any news at all, rarely reaches the rural countryside.

Name: Giovanni Bobone-Orsini
Culture: Italian
Date of Birth: June 6th, 1047
Biography: A member of the Orsini family, related to the Bobonni, Giovanni is member of one of the most powerful families in Rome. He was sent into priesthood so as to defend the Orsini power and interests, he has few wealth of his ow but can count on the family. His objectives are to gain control of land and of secular titles and to keep the Papacy or at least the Curia in Roman hands.

Last edited: