• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GM: Great to see so much enthusiasm already! Keep the sign-ups coming. Please remember that this isn’t first-come-first-serve yet, so feel free to contest any claims if you so wish. I will post the list of picks in about 18 or so hours.

Burhanuddin Rabbani
Leader of Jamiat e-Islami
348px-Logo_of_Jamiat-e_Islami.svg.png

I'd like Mohammad Aslam Watanjar, please.

Ghulam Faruq Yaqubi, please

Player Roster

General Secretary of PDPA, President of Afghanistan, Mohammad Najibullah (Bonecracker(NL)/Dutchbag)
Chairman of the Council of Ministers, Mohammad Hasan Sharq (OPEN)
Minister of State Security, Ghulam Faruq Yaqubi (Terraferma)
Minister of Interior, Mohammad Gulabzoy (OPEN)
Minister of Communications, Mohammad Aslam Watanjar (LatinKaiser)
Deputy Chairman of the Council of Ministers, Sultan Ali Keshtmand (OPEN)

Chief of Army Staff, Minister of Defense, Shahnawaz Tanai (Julius Maximus)
Commander of Afghan Air Force, Abdul Qadir Aqa (Shynka)
Commander of 53rd Jowjani Infantry Division, Abdul Rashid Dostum (King50000)
Commander of 4th Herati Corps, Abdul Wahid Baba Jan (Korona)
Commander of Jalalabad elements of 11th Infantry Division, Nur ul-Haq Ulumi (Arrowfiend)
Commander of 8th Infantry Division, Central Corps, Mohammad Nabi Azimi (KF25)
Commander of Bagram Garrison, Mohammed Zafar Khan (Corman50)
Commander of Baghlan Ismaili Sarandoy, Sayed Jafar Naderi (MastahCheef117)
Commander of Hairatan Sarandoy, Abdul Momim (OPEN)
Commander of pro-government Achakzai tribal militia in Kandahar, Ismatullah Muslim (OPEN)

Leader of Gulbuddinist faction, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar (Noco19)
Leader of Khalist faction, Mohammad Yunus Khalis (Kho)
Khalist Mujahedin commander in Kabul, Abdul Haq (BlackCrown)
Khalist Mujahedin commander in Paktia, Jalaluddin Haqqani (OPEN)

Leader of Jamiat e-Islami, Burhanuddin Rabbani (aedan777)
Party Mujahidin Commander, Ahmad Shah Massoud (baboushreturns)
Mujahedin Commander in Herat, Mohammad Ismail Khan (OPEN)
Mujahedin Commander in Northern Afganistan, Atta Muhammad Nur (OPEN)
Mujahedin Commander in Southern Afganistan, Mullah Naqib (OPEN)

Leader of Harakat e-Inghilab, Mohammad Nabi Mohammadi (Shebedaone)
Leader of Mahaz-e Milli, Sayyid Ahmed Gailani (Rolman99)
Commander of Mahaz-e Milli Mujahedin, Abdul Rahim Wardak (Dadarian)
Commander of Mahaz-e Milli Mujahedin near Shindand, Vali Farah Yousef (Mikkel Glahder)
Leader of Ittihad-e Islami, Abdul Rasul Sayyaf (Cleeque)

Co-leader of Al-Nasr, Abdul Ali Mazari (etranger01)
Leader of Revolutionary Council of Islamic Unity of Afghanistan, Sayyid Ali Beheshti (OPEN)
Leader of Islamic Movement of Afghanistan, Muhammad Asif Mohseni (OPEN)
Commander of Islamic Movement of Afghanistan Mujahedin, Sayed Hussein Anwari (tyriet)

Leader of Movement for Popular Revolution, Sayyid Abdul Noor (sealy300)

Leader of Society for the Call to the Quran, Jamil al-Rahman (Maxwell500)

The remaining positions are now open for grabs. I really do need able players for Mohammad Yunus Khalis, Mohammad Nabi Mohammadi, Abdul Rasul Sayyaf and Shahnawaz Tanai. Again I remind that fictional characters, for example for lesser DRA military positions, are welcome. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or catch me on IRC.

I will soon start sending starting stats and intelligence to confirmed players. After I am done with that a due date for orders will be announced. The message threads for these will also be used to submit orders, to ask OOC questions or to conduct negotiations with NPC factions or foreign backers.

The game is now open for IC. Please mark further sign ups as OOC and don't clutter the thread with them too much, please. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Leader of Harakat e-Inghilab, Mohammad Nabi Mohammadi

3fdecef8b425ed9233b34ffe7f7ed727.png

The Presidential Palace, Kabul

As the evening fell over Kabul, the man occupying the big seat in the Presidential Palace was enjoying his evening tea in the garden and looked out to the mountains. Not even the capital city was safe. Ten, fifteen minutes of driving away would bring him to Paghman, a hotbed of foreign radical fighters. Going south, there was a large area occupied by Mujahideen recently, just after departure of Soviet troops from there. Ah, yes, the Soviet withdrawal. It's as if the clock was ticking for the President.

A member of the PDPA and Parchami for 23 years and counting, President Mohammad Najibullah Ahmadzai had been an activist before Daoud Khan overthrew the monarchy in 1973 and served as a bodyguard for Babrak Karmal when he was a member of parliament, and when Najib was just a medical student. After his graduation, "The Bull" as he was known due to his impressive height and stature, rose through the ranks of the PDPA before being promoted away to the embassy in Tehran as the Khalqis rose to power. Operation Storm-333 brought the Parchamites back to power, with his mentor Babrak Karmal as the Paramount Leader. Najibullah became the head of the Secret Police, the KhAD, and turned it into a Parchamite stronghold. During his long tenure as head of KhAD he became the subject of many rumours and accusations, not least a penchant for gouging out eyes with spoons. Come 1986, Najibullah was promoted again by the Shuravi. After Karmal's government suffered major setbacks the Soviet Politburo exiled him and selected Najibullah to be his replacement.

As head of state (The first in a decade to bear the title of President) with an unflinchingly loyal secret police and direct control over large sections of the armed forced, President Najibullah was a very, very big fish. The problem was that the pond he was swimming in was evaporating. He headed a regime embroiled in a major counter-insurgency which has survived the last near-decade due to extensive Russian support. Now that the Soviet Army and Air Force were leaving Afghanistan, this dirty, difficult war would have to be fought by the Afghan National Army and its supporting militias, the Sarandoy. The general expectation was that by next summer, they'd all have to be airlifted out of Kabul to Ashgabad, Dushanbe, or Tashkent.

But it couldn't be. Not (just) for himself, but for his country, Najibullah had to persevere. If he could hang on with the Soviet support that Gorbachev promised, it would be possible for Afghanistan to finally make its own way in the world. No Shuravi, no British, no Persians, no Pakistanis to dominate it. No "Mujahideen" terrorists to fracture it into as many fiefdoms as there were towns and valleys. The Americans could be forgiven for not knowing better. They come from a world away. Though maybe, the new president would want to avenge South Vietnam as much as Reagan does. But the Pakistanis? Now, those sons of donkeys could not possibly have good intentions with their endured support of the rag-tag band of Salafists. And the Iranians? Who knows what Khomeini's idea for Afghanistan is. Turn east now that Saddam remains?

All foreign forces, conspiring to keep Afghanistan on her knees, a backwater, a colony. "I must persevere", Najib thought. "Afghanistan deserves its freedom."

VwpXpPz.jpg

"Bringing an Afghan Shah home with the Boys"

Name: Vali Farah Yousef
Born: 5th of May 1953
Ethnicity: Afghan
Position: Commander of the Mahaz e Milli Mujahedin near Shindand.
Affiliation: Mahaz e Milli
Bio: Valy was born in the 1950s to a sufi family who held the monarchy and the monarch very dear. Thusly, Valy grew up as a monarchist islamist who joined the army in 1971. Whilst he was horrified by the republican coup in 1973 he stayed in the army and became a captain in late 1977. The PDPA coup broke the camels back for Valy and many of his comrades in arms who deserted from the army and began forming a royalist-islamic militia near Shindand and declared his allegiance to Sayyid Ahmed Gailani and the Mahaz e Milli.

Last edited:
GM: Starting briefings have been processed. If you didn’t get any, bug your faction leader for more info or a position. Orders will be due on SUNDAY. Send them in the same message chain, please, along with anything else related to the game. For those who don’t have one yet, open one titled ‘Graveyard of Empires – *CHARACTER NAME*’

Good luck and have fun.

Abdul Haq looked over the rows of men in front of him. Lined up in groups of 100, they watched his every movement waiting for him to reveal why he had gathered him. Abdul wondered too. His Leader, Mohammed Yunus Khalis, has ventured off on a mysterious trip, its reasons unknown. Under such circumstances, he was left with no choice other than to take charge of the faction in his absence. With this in mind, he gathered what men he could and prepared what he believed to be an inspirational speech. He took a deep breath and began speaking. "Sallaam brothers. Our faithful leader has left on a trip to secure foreign support, in his absence, he has appointed me the temporary leader of our group. I take charge in a time of greatness, we have driven off the Soviets and Kabul is in reach. We are many things, rebels, a family, followers of Allah, and true patriots. Everyone here has joined us for a reason, wether it be for glory or piety, wealth or peace, but there is one thing that bounds together. Our hope for a better nation, a better Afghanistan, one where Islam and Allah are respected."

He took another breath. "But we are not alone in our hope, nor alone in our fight. Across the nation, more are answering the call of justice. More groups rise to overthrow the detestable PDPA. They are all our family, and together the cries of holy warriors shall not fade. Soon, we shall begin our march once more, and we shall not be alone."

He looked over his men again, he was proud to see that many of his men seemed to be relieved and ready. It may not have been the best speech, but it did its duty. With this he should be accepted as the leader and unquestioned in his actions.

With this done, he began to write to the leaders of nearby rebel groups, asking for their cooperation in a future attack. (Essentially I will be using the conversation feature.)

((Chief of Army Staff, Minister of Defense, Shahnawaz Tanai))

As-salāmuʿalayka, Commander Yusef. ((@Mikkel Glahder))

I have heard of your devotion to me and therefore to The Most High and the Prophet, may Allah honor Him and grant Him peace, and I know that is our collective qadar that victory will be granted to us, as we are right to cast out the shuravi invaders and their damned collaborators here. But remember, the universe itself is a manifestation of Allah al-Azal, for he is all things, all things are his. He is eternal. Therefore, know the words of the blessed Prophets, peace be upon them, always, and victory will reveal itself to you, as will all the secrets of the world, insha’Allah.

However, not even Allah al-Hakam can pull the trigger of a mujahid’s rifle, nor can he command an army in battle. He is al-Zahir, just as he is al-Batin, some days He fill see it fit to reveal his plans to man directly, and other days he will tell them through secrets wrapped within secrets. To exact the will of the Most High, it is our duty on Earth. Our spies report that there are over 5,000 shuravi collaborators in Farah and Shindand. These are overpowering numbers compared to yours, and due to our looking at certain offensives, insha’Allah, in the Southern provinces. Await further orders from myself or from Commander Wardak. If none come, or if the shuravi collaborators make their move first, prepare for the Jihad of the skirmish-- retreat to hills, send the shuravis’ concubines to the Haawiyah. Protection of your tanks is of the utmost import, insha’Allah, they will be the thing that will win us this war. Continue the Jihad of the skirmish until your brothers from the Harakat e-Inghilab come to aid you, or you are ordered to withdraw.

Fight well, bismillah.

Ašhadu ʾan lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, Muḥammadur-rasūlu-llāh,
Pir Sayyid Ahmed Gailani
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As-salāmuʿalayka, Commander Wardak. ((@Dadarian))

I have heard very much of our successes around Kabul, and so I thank you and your gallant Mujahideen for your performance. I am sure Allah al-Muntaqim, who in all his glory and knowledge has deemed us to throw out the shuravi and their devilish collaborators, thanks you too. The Most High and the Prophet, may Allah honor Him and grant Him peace, are forever with us and will surely grant our mujahideen, and our brothers’ mujahideen, victory.

These are my orders to you. Finish off the encircled shuravi collaborators around Baraki, and push northwards to Maidan. Utilize your scouts and agents to decide the numbers of shuravi collaborators at Pul-e Alam. Notify me of their numbers there. If they are weak and number little, wage Jihad upon them there and capture the city and the highway south of it for our cause. After that, turn your attention north to advance on Kabul alongside the other Mujahideen of our brothers. Insha’Allah, you will see success, Allah al-Hakam will bring victory and so will our lionhearted warriors. One stipulation, though, value the tanks as you value your life, but send those infidels to the Haawiyah with great speed!

Furthermore, I would like to hear of your words, brother, regarding the status of Commander Yusef’s Mujahideen to the West. They come under threat from overwhelming amounts of shuravi collaborators, but an attack from those cowards has yet to come. He is in the possession of 1,000 brave Mujahideen, and two tanks, as well as some artillery guns. I am confident that he could wage a skirmishing Jihad if need be, and the Harakat e-Inghilab would likely lend their aid. Since you are his immediate superior, and I am yours after that, I felt it necessary to, at the very least, keep you aware of what I intend to do.

Shatter your foes, bismillah.

Ašhadu ʾan lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, Muḥammadur-rasūlu-llāh,
Pir Sayyid Ahmed Gailani

Abdul Haq opened the meeting
"Salaam brothers, it is of my upmost belief that, if we work together, we shall easily capture the territory of Jalalabad. Our forces would overwhelm their puny defensive force and our men could use both it's airfields and roads to our advantage. I ask of you to consider this cooperation.

If our forces take the region, the east will be ours and the PDPA's Air Force will be crippled"

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar stroked his beard with a smile, listening to the opening of Abdul Haq.

"Salaam. It is indeed a time of much change within our nation - and so it is that we must band together and be united. Surely then we are in need of a formal body to speak our minds. Thus I say we need to form Shura-i Hamahangi (Trans: "Council of Coordination").

And then surely this body would require a leader to be invested the due authority to lead this, for which I would propose myself - Gulbuddin Hekmatyar. It is I that commands much respect and backing from within the nation and from abroad, and it is I that shall foster our holy war to fruition.

Allahu Akbar!"