• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mister Benton, I assure you, comparing ourselves to the Southern United States is painting a most disimilar picture. While the American South possesses the climate needed to make profitable plantation system and mass slave labor, the blessed lands of California do not. The Californian slave is not one of many, working on a field with many others, but is more likely a servant or ranch hand among his owning family, and perhaps a few other slaves. To think that the slaves shall grow dominant in numbers is laughable, moreso as we see more White pioneers come from the east to enjoy the liberties and land of our Republic. Let us not fear-monger and seek to turn the public against the rights of property without first understanding the basic truths of slave labor.

Lazarus C. Shaw

((I am terribly vexed. My post joining in has apparently been swallowed whole by the Internet.

Trying again:

Badger.jpg

Name: William Patrick "Badger Billy" O'Dea

Born: 1810, Galway, Ireland

Bio: Orphaned at 8, William Patrick O'Dea shipped out of Galway as a cabin boy on an American clipper. From there he grew up on a half dozen ships and a hundred sleazy ports. He learned his ABCs from a shipmate who was a defrocked minister, and learned pretty much anything else anyone was willing to teach him. His small stature and combative spirit earned him his nickname, but his real asset was his keen intelligence and ability to work every angle. He sailed on grand banks fishers, smugglers, illicit slave traders, and even some respectable freighters. But he's made big money on three whaling voyages. Rather than blow all his money, he used it to buy shares in a successful ship, since it was the owners who made the big money.

He shipped out on the Truelove with one of his partners serving as master. The long months of sailing around the horn to the pacific whaling grounds have strained their relationship, so Billy opted to remain in Yerba Buena, hoping to pursue business opportunities in the new country. He sees it as the logical base for the Pacific fishery, and wants to get in on the ground floor of all the shore businesses that always take such a huge cut of the proceeds.

Last edited:
Name: Don Artemio Romero de Terreros
Occupation: Manager of the Alta California branch of the Monte de Piedad, Philanthropist, Amateur Artist, Veteran Cannon Fodder
Date of Birth: July 9th, 1810
Political Party: Guardia Civil
Biography: Born in the city of Cádiz, Artemio grew up as the ninth child of a ninth child, an accident by all accounts. His father shortly retired to a monastery carved into the side of the Sierra Nevada when he was but the tender age of five. As a result, he bounced from Romero de Terreros branch to Romero de Terreros branch undergoing training in the management of finances, business administration, and a little bit of everything up to and including the subtle nuances of selling opium to Orientals, the optimization of plantation conditions in order to maximize slave population growth, or the general know-how of how to maintain and operate a sea-going vessel. Soon, he was shipped off to the University of Oxford and studied the Literae Humaniores ​during the Oxford Movement, where he forged his very unique views on how to solve the social issues of the emerging industrial economies of which, luckily, would not feature much in his own personal politics. He returned to Cadiz in the year 1836 to enlist with the Liberals and fought against the Carlist rebels in the First Carlist War, serving under Don Ramón María de Narváez y Campos and fought in the front lines at the Battle of Majaceite and continued to follow the leadership of Narváez until the insurrection against the Progresistas whereupon he voluntarily went into exile and bought a small corner house in Los Angelos and set to work for the next five years building up a fortune, calling in family favors, and establishing the new branch of the Monte de Piedad in Los Angelos. Following the example of his grandfather, Don Pedro Romero de Terreros, he stated sponsoring missions in the native tribes and the building of new monasteries, one of which he would hope to retire to. Admittedly, he also chose to serve as a mere private in the Californian Army in order to gain some future goodwill and ensure that his efforts and investments would have a slightly increased chance of going unhindered. Now, he hopes to give life to the people, civilize the natives, and ensure that the Californian society would be one of justice, not corruption, and as such has chosen to name his own political party, if you could call it even that, after the new Guardia Civil in his homeland in order to show his dedication to justice.

I ask a motion be put forward to be voted upon after the election that all children of current slaves be emancipated and begin a process of gradual emancipation throughout California.

-Juan Manuel Campo

Mr. Campo, if you want to have filthy Mexican standards when we talk about slavery, please move there so we can get rid of you. Also, the slaves have it much better in slavery than if they were "equal" to others. One is because, we slave owners would not have to provide them food nor housing. Also, many people would take advantage of them and make work for the same time, for little to no pay. I do believe that is what you want to. Emancipation is worse than slavery.

- N. Gagarin

Mr Gagarin, if you wish for all those who consider other nation's systems to be possible role models for our own to leave California then I am surprised you are not calling for the Republican party to return to the United States. Indeed I would expect you to be preparing yourself for a return to your own homeland. Your claims that slaves are better off under slavery then free is patently false. No man is better off under a tyrannical and oppressive regime. Us Californians were not better off under Santa Anna, the United States was not better off under King George and the people of France were certainly not better off under the reign of the Bourbon Kings then under their own Republics. You say that slaves would be poor, go hungry and be employed for no wage, the last is clearly untrue due to the fact that it would be slavery and, if slavery were outlawed, illegal. As for the other two they may be dismissed quite easily, would you rather be a free man but poor, or share a small barn with dozens of others, be given the most basic gruel everyday and serve at the whim of an unpredictable master? I know which I would choose. I would encourage all Californians to consider either an immediate outlawing of slavery or a bill that would ensure that no man in California may be born a slave. This latter proposal, I believe, must occur if we cannot pass the former. California cannot consider itself a free and just Republic until all of it's citizens may say with full confidence that every man born in California is born a free man.

~William Henry Clinton

Mr. Clinton, I am not talking about other nations systems to leave or not be a thing in California, nor the people. I am just saying that living under a Mexican system, which the people in our Republic fought against, might not be best idea. My sayings that they would be employed for "little to no pay" was merely an exaggeration as it is more easier to understand for 'lower-educated' people. Also, what would the slaves do, if they were suddenly freed? They would run around like chicken without a head, as they had known to nothing else than they lives in slavery. You call these slaves people, which isn't correct, since slaves are property, not human beings.

~ N. Gagarin

Slaves breath, they think, they have dreams, just like the rest of us albeit not on the same level. It may surprise you Mr Gagarin but though may consider a slave as you consider a cow they are, in fact, human beings, ask any man of science and he will tell you the same thing. You also speak of "lower-educated" people, perhaps you should consider yourself in this when you refer "to other nations systems to leave or not be a thing in California". You say that slaves would "run around like a chicken without a head" if freed, I would encourage you to speak with your slaves, they understand life far more then you imagine and they will fare far better then you believe. In any case the question remains, would you rather be a free man but poor, or share a small barn with dozens of others, be given the most basic gruel every day and serve at the whim of an unpredictable master? For that is the choice that you say faces the men and women who serve now at your estate.

~William Henry Clinton

Dogs breath, horses breath, they have dreams as well and we still use them. You might not know this Mr. Clinton, but I am very well educated as are yourself. You are telling me not to talk about things I know nothing about. I can say the same to you. I have talked with my slaves many, many times and they are grateful for my control over them and I do treat them fairly. They would rather live as they do now, than be poor and starve in the streets as you want them to. I do not whip my slaves and the men who controls the slaves do not whip the slaves. So, who is this "unpredictable master" you speak of?

~ N. Gagarin

Slavery is a test of God we must pass.All who own slaves get a straight ticket to purgatory and eternal hell.

Fernando Alvares

I may not be a Catholic sir, but I believe your understanding of purgatory is somewhat flawed.

Certainly animals breath, I doubt they have dreams however and they most certainly cannot express them coherently, a slave can, indeed a slave can write if you teach him and learn numbers if he tries. Alas Mr Gagarin you misunderstand me, "unpredictable master" in no way refers to the act of whipping, it merely refers to the unpredictability of the demands placed upon those in iron. Indeed, your own proposal specifically says that " The owner of slaves may himself decide what kind of punishment he gives to his slaves, if they are becoming decadent etc. " This clearly demonstrates that such punishment is commonplace and the following article clearly demonstrates the extent of this "If the slave dies under the punishment, the slave owner will not be granted any form of compensation from the state." That a man may kill another man and face no repercussions seems to me to be inherently wrong and unjust, not something California should stand for. You then say that your slaves would rather live under you then be free, perhaps they say this to you but, as you have said so often, they have not yet experienced such liberty and so they cannot know what it is they will gain from this. Indeed liberty has no price, it is not some commodity to be bartered around, it is an inherent right of all men and therefore something I will fight for with all my soul.

~William Henry Clinton

I didn't mention if the owner would face any consequence, I just mentioned that he would gain anything from killing his slaves from one day to another. But if a slave is decadent, one much teach them discipline. It is the same with children. If they are naughty, they shout for a smack on the head. We both have different opinions and I just think we should end this argument here, before it gets this subject gets so heated that violence erupts among pro and anti-slavery supporters.

- N. Gagarin

Moments ago you claimed slaves were the equivalent of cows or horses, now you claim they deserve the same treatment as children, you do not see to be able to make up your mind Mr Gagarin. In any case I highly doubt that any man would consider violence as a method for ending slavery, as for those who support it I cannot say for I am not among that number. I believe I have made it quite clear as to the vital necessity of a bill ensuring the end of slavery, either immediately or through ensuring no man is born a slave, which I intend to propose following the elections, as you say Mr Gagarin we must end this division amongst Californians as quickly as we can and the only sure way of achieving this is ensuring the end of this most immoral of practices.

~William Henry Clinton

If Mr. Clinton is truly concerned with the welfare of slaves, perhaps he should introduce a bill regarding their treatment, rather than stealing slaves from their owners or denying us our rights to their children.

- Jack Marshall

GM Note: Election time! Here is a link to the ballot. Polls will close in 48 hours. Candidates are encouraged to make their case during the duration of the election.

1846 Californian Presidential Election

Last edited:
Statement to the Presidential Candidates
– Relating Property Rights -

Presidential Candidates,

From the abortive Constitutional Convention we turn to Presidential Elections, and I wish all candidates the best of success. It is regarding the current election that I submit to all prospective presidents an enquiry as to their intentions relating to property rights.

Our Constitution, in Article I and IV, attaches importance to property both as a means of enfranchisement and a determinant of eligibility for elected office. As such, property remains a central feature of our democracy.

I am interested to learn what measures each candidate, should he be elected to the Presidency, will take to strengthen property rights within the Californian Republic.

Last edited:
John Griswold makes a speech to gathered members of the Yuerba Buena elite.

"My fellow men, am I alone in thinking this current Presidential election is disappointing not in the terms of the parties, but of the people?

Somerville holds the honour of overseeing the unmitigated failure that was the Constitutional Convention, which was only saved by our dear President Ide.

Jarvis is a Yankee who would sooner live in New York then the likes of California, only here for God knows why.

I cannot vote for these men on principle. The parties I may or may not agree with, but this is the man we are electing as our President. Why should I possibly vote for either of these rather slippery men?"

It seems to me that slavery, despite being a fringe issue from a border region with limited impact on our national welfare, has become a substantial issue in this election. The National Democrats' position is clear: the status quo is acceptable, and we support neither the abolition nor the spread of slavery.

However, I'd like to hear from the Republican candidate for President on this apparently important issue that has everyone so lathered up, since so many Republicans are outspoken about the need for abolition.

Mr. Jarvis, if you are elected President, will you actively support and campaign for the abolition of the practice of slavery within the Californian Republic?

Alexander Ulysses Sinclair