• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed, California must call for a strong, united leadership. We must not heed those defeatists who wish to weaken our legislative power, we must ignore those who would rather that men of inaction rule, over men of action. I vote in favour of the President's proposal, and by God, I wish to see not another man here who votes against.

- Doctor César Antonio Castañón

I vote against the presidents proposal.

nBnxAlb.png

Last edited:
I vote in favor of Mr. Clark's proposal calling for the chief magistrate to be elected directly by the people.

I vote in favor of Mr. Hyde's proposal calling for a secular government, without favor or disfavor toward any religion.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal calling for the chief magistrate to be elected for a single five-year term.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal calling for suffrage for White, Hispanic, and civilized natives over 20 years of age.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal calling for autonomy for the eastern Territory.

I vote in favor of Mr. Owing's proposal calling for the establishment of basic political rights.

I vote in favor of Mr. Owing's proposal calling for the establishment of basic judicial rights.

I vote against Mr. Reed's proposal calling for English and Spanish to be established as the official languages of the Republic.

I abstain on the proposal to ban slavery.

I vote against President Ide's proposal calling for an unelected upper house.

Charles Thomas Frost

I vote in favor of Mr. Clark's proposal calling for the chief magistrate to be elected directly by the people.

I vote in favor of Mr. Hyde's proposal calling for a secular government, without favor or disfavor toward any religion.

I vote in favor Mr. Menzies' proposal calling for the chief magistrate to be elected for a single five-year term.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal calling for suffrage for White, Hispanic, and civilized natives over 20 years of age.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal calling for autonomy for the eastern Territory.

I vote in favor of Mr. Owing's proposal calling for the establishment of basic political rights.

I vote in favor of Mr. Owing's proposal calling for the establishment of basic judicial rights.

I vote against Mr. Reed's proposal calling for English and Spanish to be established as the official languages of the Republic.

I abstain on the proposal to ban slavery.

I vote in favour President Ide's proposal calling for an unelected upper house

The Collapse of the Constitutional Convention and the Compromise Constitution

With disagreements over the type of government California should hold moving forward into the future, the first cracks in the armour came when influential delegate Alexander Sinclair announce he was talking out of the convention, followed by several members of his party. The pro-Slavery faction itself threatened massive repercussions should the abolitionist doctrine be affirmed by the convention, the most vocal of which was Nikolay Gagarin, the largest slave holder in California. With order barely sustained in the convention, and the very disjointed nature of which items were being voted on, President Ide announced a dissolution of the entire convention, dismissing each of the representatives and forming a personal committee around him to forge a new document for the country.

Meeting in Monterrey, at the former residence of the Spanish Governor, President Ide and his advisers worked hard to ensure that foundational document could be written up, and ratified before a vote of the people of California, the people they were attempting to govern for. For three weeks, the men continued to write and revise their new document, which was released to the public on March 21st, 1846.

6BbXp7B.jpg

1. The Constitution of the Californian Republic.

The overall nature of the document was supremely unique, holding a specific charter behind it that California was just that, Californian. All immigrants would be welcomed to the country, but it would never be subservient to the forces of other nations, a direct swipe at the United States and Mexico. The most important aspects of the Constitution were listed to the people of Monterrey, the first to hear of the new document.

I. The Legislature

The Legislature of the Californian Republic will be a Bicameral assembly, composed of two houses. The Legislature shall bear the name "Congress of California," while the lower house shall be known as the "National Assembly" while the upper house will be known as the "Senate." The National Assembly elects the Chief Minister of the Californian Republic, who is responsible for the management of the Legislature's business and bills. His term shall last no longer than three years, and shall be renewable with no set limits. The Senate shall be vested only with veto power over bills passed in the National Assembly, along with hearing all trials for the impeachment of the President of California. The Senate shall consist of former Presidents, former Justices of the Supreme Court, and elected Senators. For those Senators elected, they would need to hold a specific amount of land and property, and have a single, six year, non-renewable term. The Senate shall be limited to no more than fifteen members, to act as the guardian of Constitutional Democracy within the Californian Republic.

II. Executive

The Chief Magistrate of the Californian Republic shall be known as the President of the Californian Republic. He shall be elected to a renewable, six-year term by a popular vote of the people. Executive power shall be vested into the President of the Californian Republic, while shall follow a unitary system of government. The President shall be responsible for the administration of all Territories of the Californian Republic directly, while administration of populated territories and settlements shall be made by the President, who appoints local governments and is responsible for their subdivisions. The President shall have the final say in the administration of the Foreign Affairs of the Californian Republic, while domestic policy shall be split between the President and the Chief Minister. The Chief Minister, acting as the representative of the Congress of California, shall sit with the President and his advisers, to establish legislation and maintain domestic policy.

III. The Courts

The Judiciary Power shall be vested in the Supreme Court of California, where the justices are appointed by the President and subject to confirmation through a vote by the National Assembly. An odd numbers of justices must sit upon the Supreme Court, and shall be responsible for the final authority in all legal disputes in the nation. The Congress of California shall be responsible for the implementation and construction of the lower courts of the Supreme Court, which are to be determined by that body at a later date.

IV. Rights and Voting

Those who take an Oath to the Californian Republic and those born to Californian Parents shall become Citizens of the Californian Republic. All indigenous persons within the territory of California shall be exempted from this clause, and shall not be considered citizens until they undergo a process of civilisation. The official languages of the Californian Republic shall be English, as a primary, and Spanish, as a secondary. In order to gain the vote, a citizen must pass a test of literacy in English or Spanish, be over the age of 21, and have a claim to property over the value of £5. All persons within California are granted the right to free speech, free press, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, and the right to a fair trial by a jury of their peers. The right for an individual or a militia to bear arms in defence of the state shall be preserved. The slave trade shall be banned in all forms in the Californian Republic.

/~/

As the Constitution was unveiled, it became clear it did not address the issue of Slavery, neither endorsing no denying it, while also sticking to some of the main principles that the Constitutional Convention did agree upon. However, due to the chaotic nature of the Convention, many felt that this Constitution was a necessity. As the document was ratified by a popular vote rather handily, Politicians geared up to work under this new document, seeking to make their mark on it, be it through an amendment or legislation. James Somerville was chosen by President Ide to become the nation's first Chief Magistrate, acting in an informal and temporary fashion, before elections were first held. Political Parties, numerous beforehand, began to dwindle down to push new policies for governing the new nation.

---

Presidential Election Time! I must limit the amount of parties to five (5) at any one time. In doing so, I must announce that only the following parties may field persons for President, listed below. Each party leader must hold their own internal primaries and choose their Presidential candidate. Independents may simple issue a post saying that they wish to run. Each party leader must make an IC declaring who they will be supporting for President at the end of their internal discussion. Once all parties have fielded a Candidate, and 24 hours has passed for all Independents to decide to run, I shall start the Presidential Election. If you disagree with this, you may still join your own party and run as an Independent candidate. Should your party have more members than a party that is currently in the primary system, your party will replace that one.

1. Republican Party of California (Party Leader: Revan)
2. National-Democratic Party (Party Leader: etranger01)
3. California Confederate Party (Party Leader: baboush)
4. California Association (Party Leader: XVG)
5. Ursine Imperial Party (Party Leader: Nodscouterr)

Last edited:
I, Henry Fielding, announce my wish to join the National-Democratic Party of California. I feel that this party expresses my opinions the best in most areas while allowing me to have differing opinions in the others.

-- Henry Fielding

((How will legislative elections work?))

I shall run as Presidental Candidate on behalf of the Californian Imperial Party, as well assuming the role of party leader effective immediately.

- Doctor César Antonio Castañón

I, Henry J. Jarvis, announce my candidacy for the Presidency of the Republic of California on the Republican Party ticket.

I declare my membership to the California Association Party

-Juan Manuel Campo

((Rats, no Partido Californio))

As a member of the Republican Party, I will endorse Henry J. Jarvis in the elections and wish the best of luck for him and California.

- Mitchell R. Jerrold

5013la.bmp

James Somerville ascends the podium at the National-Democratic Party Convention in Monterey.

"Honoured party colleagues, I speak to you today, both as interim President of this Republic and as a committed member of this party, to announce to you that is my intention to run as this party's Presidential candidate for the next term of office. I believe, owing to my experience both as Convenor of the ill-fated Constitutional Convention, as the present caretaker of the Chief Magistracy, that my candidacy is well-judged and shall receive the support of the broad mass of the electorate. My competence and diligence in affairs of state is already well-established in experience and fact. I ask you, honoured colleagues, to support me as this party's nomination, and to support my bid for the Presidency.

My manifesto in this contest shall reflect the guiding principles and ideals of this party. My Presidency will be one of reason, rationality and internal development. The following platforms shall be the broad aims of my administration:

My administration shall seek to implement the nucleus of a standing army and a standing navy, which shall work in conjunction with the established militias to maintain the peace of this Republic, aswell as defend her borders.

My administration shall seek to establish a National Bank and a national credit, through which the banking of this Republic may be fairly regulated and the finances of this Republic secured. Both the Bank and the Credit shall enrich the enterprisers of this Republic; without it, industry in this great land cannot emerge.

My administration shall seek to develop the port of San Francisco, utilising national credit, for the development of that fair city as the primary artery of this Republic's seaborne trade and commerce. We shall further seek the improvement of the land and of other ports by means of public infrastructure and state investment, utilising national credit, for the use of the people.

My administration shall seek to establish a national system of public education.

My administration shall seek to maintain friendly relations with the United States of America and the Republic of Texas. It shall further seek diplomatic recognition from the powers of Europe, alongside the commencement of trading relations. As for Mexico, we shall strive to secure from our former colonial masters diplomatic recognition, but we shall not pursue a policy either of friendliness or of antagonism.

My administration shall seek the implementation of reasonable tariffs, on the whole kept to a minimum, so that the economy of this Republic is not exposed to undue competition from her larger neighbours.

My administration shall seek to ensure that this Republic is open to the settlement and residency of settlers of good moral character.

My administration shall neither adopt a policy of support or one of opposition, on the matter of slavery.

By these means, we shall establish a Republic of commerce, of industry, and of civilisation. This is my vision for California, and I hope, honoured delegates, that you shall place your trust in that vision."

William Clark was shocked at the constitution created by cabal, even if it had many points reflective of what he wanted, it left a bad taste in his mouth. The snubbing of his Expansionist Party in favour of the monarchists added insult to injury. Still, nothing to be done but continue on.

"As leader of the Expansionist Party I declare that the party does not dissolve and will expand membership to become a recognized party in the Republic of California.

We have no comment on the Presidential nominations at this time."

may24fremont.jpg

Name: James Frederick Benton
Date of Birth: February 27, 1815 (30)
Place of Birth: Saint Louis, Missouri Territory, United States of America

Biography: Born in 1815 as the eldest child of five to a Missouri territorial legislator, James Frederick Benton grew up well acquanted with the politics of the Western frontiers. Following the admission of Missouri as a state in 1821, James spent his formative years either reading works of history and economics or at the state legislature, where he got a job as a clerk at age 18. Privately educated, James planned on entering Missouri, and possibly Federal, politics until the news arrived of the Texan War for Independence in 1836. At only 21 years old, James made his way down to Texas, where he attempted to enlist as a volunteer militiaman. However, James soon found that fighting was not exactly his forte, and instead found work as a staffer at the French Legation building, where he served as an interpreter.

He continued his work in the small Texan Foreign Service until 1844, where he decided to leave Texas after finally coming to a head with his superiors about the issue of slavery. James, who believed in the abolition of slavery out of the belief that it was economically backward, then departed Texas and made his way to California where he hope to start his political career in earnest. Politically, James would be best described as a populist. He believes in the abolition of slavery, as well as the concepts of expansionism and support for homesteaders, both Anglo and Californio alike. He also believes in the expansion of the nation's infrastructure, such as railroads and telegraph lines, as well as the establishment of permanent foreign relations.

Last edited:
While I currently am a member of no party, on behalf of the fledgling Mormon community within the lands of this republic, I must say that Mr. Jarvis seems the most agreeable and well-thought character that has announced his candidacy thus far.

I, hereby offer my unwavering support to Mister James Somerville in his bid for the Presidency of the Republic of California. Mister Somerville has a strong leadership record and has the right plan for the future of our young Republic.

Alexander Kingston

It is apparent that the nature of this new Republic must be built upon freedom, enshrined as it is in our Constitution, flawed and imperfect as it may be.

Mr Somerville, the Chairman of the ill-fated, poorly run, and nearly disastrous Constitutional Convention, and very much a reason as to why it proceeded as it did, now seeks to continue his... successes as the first elected President of the Republic. To that, I wish him the best of luck, and for the Californian people my condolences should he win it.

He points to his diligence in state affairs, and his experience – both of which I feel would be just to concede to him; I doubt there is another man in California so adept at manipulating the popular discourse, capable at back-room deal-making, or as brazenly biased as he, nor would I expect, or hope, there be a man so energetically pursuant of such.

The National Democrats, as they have always preached, call for the indebtedness of the nation to bankers and the moneyed class by way of their National Bank; if perhaps we were all so affluent it would be of little matter, however – how many Californians are farmers in debt to the banker in Monterrey? How many are only a month's payment away from losing the family farm, and with it their livelihoods? I would ask each and every one of you here today to ponder on the wisdom of accruing debt, which shall be paid you and your posterity, for the sake of finding creditors for this nation.

If that is the fiscal responsibility of the National Democrats, then no wonder they are as financially challenged as they are morally bankrupt!

The National Democrats seek a great many things, from national education, to public projects, to a grand army, all of which shall be paid for by you, the farmer out east, who will likely never see the benefits of these projects – will a port in Yerba Buena bring you immediately any more wealth? If perhaps you opted not to grow wheat to feed your family and instead grow wine or other commodities – if you made enough, perhaps you have enough to pay off your share of the national debt to by bread from your neighbour!

Perhaps you would hope that the new port would open up grand new trinkets and goods from across the world – and indeed it might well have had not the National Democrats endorsed a tariff with which to discourage the importation of such goods, and the denial of your families, burdened as they are with familial and national debt, to afford such commodities.

The National Democrats argue for warm relations with both the United States and the Republic of Texas, but similarly desire to maintain tensions with the Mexican Republic – small wonder, then, that they desire to raise and maintain an army, as it appears peaceful relations are of little true concern to them.

And they, as I stated before, continue to expertly showcase their moral bankruptcy; they hold no position on the vile practice of slavery – does Mr Somerville hold not sympathy for the man enchained, enslaved, and wholly unfree? Those three thousand men, women, and children, who will never know of freedom and the liberties enjoyed by Californians should he become president? Granted... with all the restrictions, the debts, the tariffs, and the like emplaced by his Administration, those liberties would be rather more suspect.

If the People of California desire free trade and warm relations with all nations, peaceful coexistence and lack of artificial boundaries, then the Republican Party is the right and proper choice,

If the People of California desire freedom for all, and oppose the elitism and the corruption of the National Bank, then the Republican Party is the right and proper choice.

If Peace and Prosperity are desired in the Republic of California, not war and taxes, then the Republican Party is the right and proper choice.

pMextpZ.png

JOIN THE PARTY OF FREE TRADE!
JOIN THE PARTY OF FREE WORKERS!
JOIN THE PARTY OF PEACE!

JOIN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!​

As the Constitutional Convention is now over, I declare my membership to the expansionist party.