• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I vote against a unicameral legislature.
I vote for a sole executive.

OOC: By my count the executive vote is still tied at 15-15...

((Considering joining as a big shot in the whaling business, maybe dabbling in the China trade. Alternate plan would be a missionary come to ensure that nobody has any fun.))

“Congressmen, I bring the voting to a close. By my count the motion for the executive has passed, and the motion for the legislature has failed. Therefore, this Convention has resolved for a singular executive and a bicameral legislature. Let this resolution be added to the record-book.

Guiding Principles
Of the Constitution of the Californian Republic

Resolved that the government of the Republic shall be unitary;

Resolved that there shall be a free and independent judiciary;

Resolved that the executive power shall be invested in a single magistrate;

Resolved that the legislative power shall be invested in two chambers.​

We shall now proceed, Congressmen, to a period of free debate, wherein all delegates may introduce motions for additional Guiding Principles to be added to the document. I ask all delegates to follow the format already established, wherein motions are presented in a broad and concise manner.

Motions may be debated among the delegates, but I will only approve for voting those motions which adhere to this format and receive the support of atleast one other delegate. Once we have accepted a satisfactory number of motions, I shall move that the Guiding Principles be presented to the secretaries attached to this Convention, so that they may go off and write the text of the Constitution itself, on the basis of these principles.”

l8ejPKS.jpg

Don Eumenio de la Vega

I believe that, if we are to have a unitary government, its power should be balanced, as an unambiguous government could very easily turn into a popularly backed tyranny. We must thus weaken it to enshrine our liberties and to do so, the head of government and the head of state should be separate - I am personally in favour of a president elected by the Senate. We thus require a Senate and I believe the lower house should be directly elected on a unique national constituency. The Senate would thus be elected locally. Furthermore, the lower house should follow a proportional distribution of seats while local districts should adopt the British and American system. This way, national interests will be key but local particularisms will be respected.

It goes without saying that I support the independence of the judiciary.

I motion that the assembly adopt the open list and a secert ballot for the voting system of the Californian Republic. This method of proportional representation will ensure that the voices of all californians are heard! Furthermore, it allows for individual members of the population to voice their preference in voting, ensuring that their preferences are heard. An open list system also allows a voter the alternative of voting for the party as a whole without expressing a preference between individuals.

I further motion that the seats of the legislature be allocated as follows:

For the Lower House, the Congress of Deputies – El Congreso de los Diputados, should be structured such that its members are elected from a single at large electoral district for the entire nation. It shall have 40 seats with one additional seat for every 40,000 citizens of our fair republic. This structure would best allow for the true voice of all Californians to be heard.

For the Upper House, the Senate of California – El Senado de California, there shall be electoral districts, each providing 3 Senators for the Senate, drawn on the basis of either counties or other geographic districts. Such a structure would ensure that the voices of particularly concentrated geographic groups don't overpower more disperse interests.

Finally, I motion for both English and Spanish to be adopted as the offical languages of the California Republic.

Last edited:
I motion that we guarantee freedom of speech, religion, press and, property within the California Republic.

Furthermore I motion that all Californian citizens be guaranteed a fair and speedy trial by a jury of their peers as close to the scene of the alleged crime as possible and that all Californian citizens be protected from unwarranted searches and seizures by the government.

"I fully support the proposed congressional method of Mr. Reed. We must represent the will of the people, but not diminish the interests of those far from the population centers of the coast. I also oppose the proposal of Mr. Vega to have the president elected by a Senate. A president should be elected by the people through a popular vote, reflective of true democracy, not limiting such an important power to a single body of congress."

"I also support the proposal of Mr. Owings, since such fundamental rights need to be affirmed. As such I also fervently oppose the proposal by Mr. Alvares, this will be a free nation, not a nation dominated by a religion."

Having put off retiring until the pending votes were officially declared closed, Dr. Arreola delayed his exit longer still, if only slightly, to compose the following letter:

To Mr. James Allard-Hensdale,

Dear Mr. Allard-Hensdale,

I ask first that you excuse my brevity. I write having delayed my retirement, and so have little time for elucidation.

Nevertheless, noting that we have moved with the closure of the recent vote into a period of free debate, I wished to contact you regarding the nature of our eventual legislature. It is my understanding, in light of today's various discussions, that we are of similarly opinions on the matter – namely, that one house should serve as an independent check on the business of the other. Therefore, I wish to enquire as to whether you would have any interest in co-operating to devise and support a motion that is mutually agreeable? Acting in concert, I feel, would give a great deal more weight to any proposals we may formulate.

I remain, Sir, your most humble servant,

J. A. F.

I move to organize all lands east of the Colorado River as territories of California and grant these territories autonomy until they are fully integrated into the rest of the nation through the means of infrastructure.

I move that the vote be granted to all White, Hispanic, or Civilized Native males above the age of 20 capable of passing a literacy test administered prior to voting.

I move that the Chief Magistrate of California be elected by a joint-session of the legislature.

I move that the Chief Magistrate of California be elected to a single five year term.

I motion that the Californian Republic be of a secular nature, and that all men be free to choose the religion of their conscience.

I motion that the Californian Republic be of a secular nature, and that all men be free to choose the religion of their conscience.

"I second this motion. Attempts to force a religion upon the population is disgraceful and wrong headed. That's one of the reasons we rebelled against the Mexican government. We must be free from any religious domination controlling this nation, so all people may freely take part in democracy."