• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
140-2-620x412.jpg

Περδίκκας

Name: Perdikkas
Died: 322 BC
Culture: Macedonian
Family: -
Biography: Born to Orontes, a descendant of the independent princes of the Macedonian province of Orestis, the younger years of Perdikkas are a relative mystery. He first came to prominence as the commander of a battalion of heavy phalanx infantry, distinguishing himself during the conquest of Thebes, where he was severely wounded. Subsequently he held an important command in the Indian campaigns of Alexander. When Hephaestion unexpectedly died in 324 BC, he was appointed his successor as commander of the Companion cavalry and chiliarch (vizier). Also in 324, at the nuptials celebrated at Susa, Perdiccas married the daughter of the satrap of Media, a Persian named Atropates. In the Partition of Babylon made after Alexander's death, Alexander's generals agreed that Philip III of Macedon, an epileptic son of Alexander's father Philip II of Macedon, and the unborn child of Alexander's wife Roxana should be recognized as joint kings. Perdiccas was appointed guardian and regent of the empire, serving until his assassination in 322 BC.

Last edited:
mQYFRDP.jpg

The sexiest man east of the Bosphorus

Name: Phrataphernes
Culture: Persian
Family: Has a son, called Pharsman
Biography:
Previously loyal to Darius, he surrendered to Alexander the Great, and was reinstated to his satrapy. He was detached to crush the revolt of Satibarzanes in 329BC, and was then again dispatched in 328BC to crush the revolt of the disobedient satrap of the Mardi and Tapuri, Autophradates. Phrataphernes rejoined Alexander in India but then later returned to his Satrapy. There he stayed until the death of Alexander.​

To Eumenes the Cardian

I am but an old man, far from his ancestral homeland. The few moments of joy in my life I enjoy in the company of my family. Blessed by Mithra himself, I have been victorious for years. I have resisted you and the other Greeks, and carved my own Kingdom here in the Cappadocian and Paphlagonian Mountains. But does it bring my joy? Definitely not. What I still want to ensure during my years, of which not that many are left, is the wellbeing of my family. And maybe, maybe your initiative might be what I am looking for.

You have married a Persian wife, a noblewoman of the fine lineage of Pharnaces, which dates back to time of Cyrus the Great. Thus I am indeed confident that you have respect for our people, even though we have been defeated and our once mighty and proud empire has been torn apart. Similarly you have welcomed Pharnabazus, the brother of your wife, to your court. This acceptance greatly warms my old heart.

Now, onto your proposition. For the last years of my life, I wish to retain the whole of Paphlagonia, as well as all of the Cappadocian regions north of the Royal Road, including Comana, which shall become my new residence. And then upon my death, you shall receive the full territory you were promised back in Babylon. Then, secondly, I want full guarantee that my family can continue to live on my estates, and that they will be treated as Persian nobles should be treated. Lastly I must request that you will personally take care of my brother Holophernes’ son Ariarathes, who is very close to me. I wish for him and others of my lineage to be brought up like a Greek, so that they will stand a change in this new world. And of course, to cement the alliance of our lineages, I will offer you the hand of one of my beloved granddaughters, upon whom Anahita herself has bestowed shining beauty.

I invite you to meet me at the satrapial estates of Mazaca as a friend, not an enemy, so that we can settle the rest of this deal, which will enable me to part this world in peace.

~ Ariarathes son of Ariamnes, King of Cappadocia

I should look on the bright side. He gave me an answer and seems to be willing to meet my conditions.

He turned around and looked at the city he was supposed to rule. A war would be unfortunate, but remaining here wouldn't be far more pleasant. He would have to bring civilization to this place, Cappadocia was far too uncomfortable. He turned to his secretary and continued:

I suppose this is better than what I could have feared. Sure, he keeps claiming to be King, belittles us followers of Alexandros and sets unpleasant conditions. But that could be worse, he could marching on Lystra as we speak. I believe accepting is the best way to handle this troublesome issue: my neighbours have a certain distaste for me, and won't give me the assistance I would need to beat the Persian unless I made dire concessions. On top of that, if I can gain goodwill among the Persians it can only help me rule these lands. So, Hieronymus, while I shall write the answer to his letter, you will start preparing for an expedition. We are leaving for Mazaca tomorrow.

His countryman quickly left, after making a few inconsequential remarks. Eumenes sat down, and started writing. Maybe he could hagagle with the old fox and force him the show the respect he deserved.:

Ariarathes pleista khairein Eumenes;

Receiving your letter was a heartfelt pleasure and the thought that a war could be avoided truly relieves my conscience: I would have been pained if I had been forced to bring the unbeaten armies of Macedon upon this land. I received multiple offers from assistance, from my neighbours - including the powerful Antigonos and Krateros himself -, from the mighty Regent and even from the new ruler of the rich Egypt, my brother-in-law. The divine Alexandros easily pacified Cappadocia and while I am no Alexandros, he taught me well. The Kingdom of Cappadocia, even if its soldiers and ruler are brave, pales in front of the Great King and knowing that the sorry state of affairs that prevailed in the region can come to an end without intervention of Macedonian troops pleases me.

Your offer seems good, although there are some pieces of detail I wish to review with you. First of all, the claim to the Kingdom of Cappadocia must be dropped, for there is but one Kingdom, Macedon. Then comes the issue of the land. I am willing to recognize your authority on the lands you wish to see under your control, but I shall remain the Satrap of Cappadocia and Paphlagonia. I do not wish to meddle in your affairs and shall faithfully respect you as a grandfather-in-law, but the dignity of strap cannot be partitioned.

Taking care of your family seems logical, and this is no favour I would have to gve, for once the pact is sealed it will be my family too. Concerning Holophernes' son, as long as he recognizes me as your sole heir and respects my authority and that of the co-Kings of Macedonia, he shall enjoy my friendship and protection.

These issues shouldn't keep us from being merry however, as peace is brokered at last. I shall arrive in Mazaca a few days after you receive this letter.

Eutukhei

Last edited:
News of yet another raid by the Isaurians barbarians was given. He failed to actually give more care than he did to the average piece of paperwork. Oh, he knew that they were a problem to the people of Cilicia Trachea, his subjects, ah yes he has think of them as his subjects now, but so many of these reports have been given to him that he just didn't seem to care. Mostly because he hated thinking about things more than two times, let alone five times and he had already had plans of action to take into account.

He turned around to the courier and gave the lad the prepared bag of gold for these occasions, well not for the messenger themselves but for the person who reported the incident. He tossed in a gold piece for the messenger's trouble as well. He added that to the expenditure as well, after all people have atrocious when it comes to money.

Well, while he was on that topic, he might as well try out that diplomacy thing his advisers, before they went off to get drunk in the nearest establishment with the necessary facilities, suggested to him. And he couldn't remember the Isaurian leader's, if they were even civilized enough to have those, name. Well, he knew that it was rather long and not-in-the-least easy on tongue. Hopefully, they would understand the civilized language, but he doubted that. If they did not comprehend his words, well, there was always the actual plan of slaughtering all the adult men and burning their cities down.

Barbarian Leader Tablacosoumrou Dadiodissasisa;

Two things are certain in every man's life: Death and Taxes. Both will come to in excruciatingly large amounts you if you should choose to ignore this warning in favor of your barbarian ways of raping our temples and burning our women. This is not an offer of negotiation, this is an ultimatum. Surrender and you shall only pay the common tax demanded from the average person of Cilicia and live for the rest of your natural life, as will all of your men. Continue to resist, and your cities of Isaura Palaea and Isaura Nova shall burn, all adult men of your tribes put down like dogs, and your women sold into slavery.

If your sincere, unconditional surrender does not occur in a timely fashion, I will be forced to assume that you have chosen to resist. I care not for any protests that you should or should not offer. I only care to see whether or not you truly value your fellow Isaurians. None of yours need to die just as none of mine need to die.

I await your surrender,

Philotas

With that act of benevolence done and over with, he filed that away for later and started to write another letter. One to Ptolemy for reasons beneficial for both realms.

Well, this time he could remember the name of the person he was writing to. Truly a magnificent feat that was accomplished considering he couldn't remember his own advisors' names.

Ptolemaios, Son of Lagus;

I write to you to inform that I am quickly running out of papyrus. I am hoping that we may work out a formalized trade agreement of sorts. The lands of Egypt or rich in resources that the lands of Cilicia hunger for, such as papyrus, salt, and grain while the horses and lead deposits of Cilicia are open for Egyptian use. While the grand forests of Cilicia Trachea are not currently suited to providing timber for Egypt as they have done in past, that shall soon change.

I wish you the best of luck for whatever endeavor you choose to pursue. May our future relationship be a profitable one.

Philotas, Father of Bastards, or whichever title you so choose to bestow upon me.

And so, with all of that tiring diplomacy out of the way, he set out to who-knows-where to plan the crushing of the Isaurians.

Πτολεμαῖος​

Memphis had grown rather stuffy for Ptolemy’s tastes, largely due to Kleomene’s hounding him for one thing or spying on him about another; all the same, when his deputy suggested that he take a tour of the Alexandria-by-the-Nile, it seemed to be a welcome respite, as well as an opportunity to see how the construction of the fleet was going. No doubt it would still be several months before it was operating at optimal levels, but both Kleomenes and more importantly Ophellas were confident at the current progress. When he arrived in Alexandria, he was pleasantly surprised at the work Kleomenes had done to create the Greek enclave; perhaps he wasn’t entirely useless. Whilst not yet as grand as Memphis, it was no doubt blessed in its position and with the wealth of Aegyptos to finance her expansion, he had no doubt it would make a worthy capital for the Satrapy, and live up to Megas Alexandros’ loft expectations, and perhaps even his own. It after a day of reviewing the work at the dry-docks that the letter from Cilicia arrived, bearing offers of trade. It certainly would not be harmful to expand Egyptian trade interests, and so he offered a quick reply.

To His Excellency, Philotas, Satrap of Cilicia,

News of these Isaurians have reached my ears, and whilst you have my sympathy, I have no doubt that you shall be able to quash this uprising with efficacy and swiftness. As for the matter of your letter, regarding trade between our two Satrapies, I must confess my concerns with such an agreement, as whilst the lands of Aegyptos are wealthy and bountiful and a great many goods, highly valued across the Kingdom, Cilicia suffers from those revolts, and as you yourself admit, is not in any position to begin trading her timber; whilst I have no qualms with establishing formal trade links with you, and have no interest in staying any private enterprise within mine own realm, or those travelling from yours, in the pursuit of such trade, I must have assurances that the generosity of Aegyptos will be repaid in kind.

I await the news of your triumph over the barbarians and your proposal for trade with great anticipation.

~ Ptolemaios Lagides, Satrap of Aegyptos

db_file_img_93839_690x0.jpg

Πείθων

Peithon rubbed his eyebrows after the news was confirmed. Over 20,000 men on foot and horseback march from the East back home. A mighty host searching only for a hearth to raise their feet. A horde of men that may and can corrupt his own on their way home if not turned back. And the last thing he needed was to be weakened in eyes of Atropates, a Persian dog who will run at an chance to reunite the Satrapy of Media.

With a sigh Peithon sent a servant to seek out the signs of the heavens. Gods only know what can expected from this mess.

Last edited:
با سلام پروردگار من1

2پروردگار من، حالت خوبه؟ asked Jamilah, one of the concubines currently serving the Satrap of Persis. She and a handful of other beautiful women, all Persian, were currently in a large pool of water, where they were washing themselves and their lord, Peucestas.

Peucestas let out a sigh and frowned. پادشاه من مرده است و رویای خود دیگر.3was his reply, spoken in almost fluent Persian. When Alexander had bestowed Persis upon him, Peucestas had put much effort into learning the language of the Persians, unlike most other of his peers. And now with the death of his friend, liege and king, most of Persia seemed to regain a will to become free, yet Persis remained untouched by turmoil. Because amongst the Persians Peucestas spoke, dressed and acted as one of their own, and only in the eyes of few was he still a foreign conqueror.

Anahita, another of the courtesans embraced him from behind.

مشاهده از طریق غم و اندوه و به جای نقطه فرصت. است ناآرامی در بسیاری از سرزمین های از ایرانیان وجود دارد. بسیاری از کسانی که شورشی را فارسی شاه قوی شرایط. شما ممکن است متولد شده یک خارجی، اما شما فارسی می باشد در حال حاضر4 she explained, with a smile.

من هرگز پادشاه من خیانت! من باید سر بریده!5 was the reply, Peucestas upset at such a suggestion.

شما می توانید یک شاه، هنگامی که شما اذعان کرد که در خدمت شما عنوان شاهنشاه.6 Anahita explained, as her hands seemed to seek out and clean a more sensitive spot.

Peucestas grew quiet as he pondered this, allowing himself to simply enjoy the moment.

[SUB]1) In the Satrapy of Persis
2) My Lord, are you okay?
3) My King is dead and his dream is no longer.
4) See through the grief and spot the opportunity instead. There is unrest in much of the lands of the Persians. Many of those who rebel would accept a strong Persian Shah. You may have been born a foreigner, but you are a Persian now.
5) I would never betray my king! I should have you beheaded!
6) You can be a Shah, when you acknowledge that you serve the title of Shahanshah.[/SUB]

((Personal request: can we keep smut and all of that ilk of writing to a minimum?))

GM NOTE: Orders are due 5th of January 23:59 GMT. Also, I would like all players to post their character sheets and/or IC before that.

I will also distribute the remaining player slots here tomorrow.

Leonnatos of Lyncestis
Played by: tyriet
Family: None

Biography/Descent:

Priot to the Partition of Babylon:
Leonnatus of Lyncestis is a descendent of the Royal House of Lyncestis, a minor Kingdom that has since been integrated into the Kingdom of Macedon, which the Royal House itself was a branch of the Bakchiad Kings of Korinthos. Furthermore, by that descent he is related to Alexander himself, due to Phillipp II. whose mother was also of the House of Lyncestis.
Leonnatus gained favor as a bodyguard and close friend of Alexander, first haulting an attempt to murder Phillipp II, and then later participating in the most important battles in Asia, most notably Issus. After the siege of Gaza and the conquest of Aegiptos, Leonnatus became one of the closest advisors and guards of Alexander, personally carrying him out of Multan, after he was injured along with Peukestas.
Upon the division of Babylon, Leonnatus was appointed Satrap of Hellespontine Phyrgia and is now on the way to returning west through Anatolia.

As Satrap of Hellespontine Phrygia:

Seeking to secure his satrapy and the surrounding lands, Leonnatos marries Pythodoris, the sister of the King of Bithynia, making them effectively allies to himself and Makedon. She later gifts Leonnatos with his legitimate firstborn son, Amyntas of the house of Lyncestis.
Leonnatos, following Antigonos plans of expansion, allies himself with Eumenes, Menandros, Asandros and Philotas in the war of the anti-Antigonid coalition. After Leonnatos repels Antigonid forces from Sardis and restores Lycia to Menandros, and Antigonos fails to defeat Eumenes at the Battle of Kelainai, the war ends in a coalition victory. The Satrapy of Hellespontine Phrygia is thus merged with parts of the Satrapy of Greater Phrygia to form Lesser Phrygia.
Leonnatos then campaigns for the council of Herklea Pontika, liberating first the Mariandyni and then restoring the city to the council by ousting the Tyrant Dionysios who had seized power in the city.

Last edited:
31cb0881d6.jpg

Ολυμπιάδα

Name: Queen Mother Olympias

Family: Daughter: Kleopatra (34) Son: Alexandros the Great of Makedon (deceased) Cousin: Aiakides (33) Sister: Troas (55)

Bio: Olympias was the daughter of King Neoptolemus I of the Molossians, and a member of the respected Aeacidae family. She was born with the name Polyxena, but later took the name Olympias. When King Neoptolemus died, his brother, Arymbas was crowned king. He quickly formed an alliance with Macedon, and married Olympias to Philip. Accounts say that Olympias and Philip had a rough marriage, due to Philip being very eruptive, and Olympias having quite the temper. The final straw was when Philip married Eurydice, and having a baby with her. Olympias went into exile wiht her son Alexander at the Molossian court, and stayed there until Philip died. When King Philip died, Olympias almost immediately assassinating Eurydice and her child to secure Alexander's acension to the throne of Macedon. After Alexander died, Olympias.

Last edited:
Peithon, Satrap of Greater Media,

Word has likely reached you regarding the rise of the Greek defectors, men who have abandoned their posts and homes of Bactria and Sogdia, lands under my governorship. They seek to betray the wishes of our late Alexander and fight their way back to the lands of Greece, a vain idea that shall only serve to cause mayhem wherever they march. It is thus that I write you, in the hopes that you may prepare yourself for their coming, for they seek to march through Media and reach the Caspian Gates, and ready a force to drive them back to where they belong for the betterment of both our lands and those lands that would be prey to this band should they pass through Greater Media.

Humbly,

Philippos, Satrap of Bactria and Sogdia

GM NOTE: All right, I have decided to open up five more player slots at this moment. Feel free to post a character sheet for one of the characters found in the statistics list, if you are interested in joining. However, please note that Polyperchon and Kassandros will remain locked until Antipatros dies.

Koinos
Played by: LatinKaiser
Family: Philon (son, age 17)
Bio: A minor general in Alexander's army, Koinos was given the Satrapy of Susa in the Partition of Babylon.

LDnNjZu.jpg

Name: Asander/Asandros
Family: Agathon (32 brother) Asander (15 Nephew)
Biography: Asander has had an interesting past indeed, eleven years before Aelxander's tragic death, he appointed Asander as governor of Lydia and the other parts of the satrapy of Spithridates, and also placed under his command an army strong enough to maintain the Macedonian authority. When Alexander was discovered to be deceased, Asander was granted the Satrapy of Caria, which was confirmed by Antipater soon after.

This is not the first he has been in Alexander's presence, however, as he was the eldest son of Philotas who commanded the companion calvary. It was back when Alexander became King of Macedonia, he was promoted, from a commander of a cavalry squadron to commander of the Companions. Although Philotas was a highly capable officer, he was widely perceived as arrogant and pompous; he was never able to master the role of courtier, was often a center of conflict, and often earned the King's disfavour.

How such a man could earn such a prestigious appointment was mainly due to his father, Parmenion who was one of Alexander's most experienced and talented generals. He was second in command of the army, bested only by his majesty himself. He is said to have acted as a foil to his commander's innovative strategies, by expertly formulating the orthodox strategy.

There was, however, a flaw to this highly-awarded family. Philotas was convicted of conspiring against the king, the evidence was perhaps not the best, but it was enough to grant a swift execution. As head of the family, the blame was placed on Parmenion, and despite having nothing to do with any plots(being well away from Alexander at the time) he was assassinated by the king. The reasons for this are many, but Asander held a grudge for some time before he had learned to hold his tongue in check. He would not become his father.

A untrusting man, Asander now looks at his pale Satrapy, at all his life has brought him, he conspires still however, his eyes set on his ambitious goals...

((Is this fine for a write-up?))

I am impressed. As a matter of fact, I am so impressed that I could consider reneging our deal in order to make this my capital. This might not be Babylon but it's far better than Lystra. On top of that, your estates look flourishing. What a marvellous region.

The Persian remained silent and looked uneasy. He shouldn't toy with him like that, after all he only had half a dozen soldiers with him, and the Cappadocian could dispose of him at will. But if he was to meet the Persian's terms, he had to insure him that he was worthy of leading Cappadocia in the future. After all, Ariarathes could use a few years to consolidate his hold on the region and strike at him at his weakest. Eumenes had to show he was in charge and unafraid.

Turning his back on the scenery of Mazaca, he sat in front of the treaty and Ariarathes. He read the terms once more, took a sip of wine - showing he didn't fear the Persian - and smiled. He continued:

Well I believe this is a satisfactory treaty. This bounds us by blood, marriage and honour and I am certain we will remain true to what we're agreeing to. This treaty will make you my kinsman, and the kinsman of the famous Barsine as well as of Nearchos and Ptolemy. Your nephew and your entire family will enjoy my friendship, affection and protection. They will be welcome in my household as true members of family and shall receive my support should they need it. I shall marry your granddaughter and be proclaimed in front of an assembly of nobles and dignitaries as your sole heir. You shall forfeit your claims on my satrapies and relinquish your crown. You will recognize Macedonian authority. You will rule the lands north of the Royal Road, including Comana, on my behalf and on that of Macedon. Your armies will be paid by the Macedonian treasury.
This appears satisfactory indeed. I shall sign it right away. Oh, and if you could please have a servant fetch me paper, I have a letter to write to my friend, the Regent.

Perdiccas pleista khairein Eumenes;

I assume that the news will only reach you with this letter: the Cappadocian Kingdom is no more. I shall marry one of Ariarathes' grandaughter and make him my subbordinate, for the greater good of the realm. This means the Royal Road will be under Macedonian authority once more, should you need it.

I am very pleased to hear that our King is born, and surely two capitals are needed to administer the dominions Alexandros left us. Now that the succession is safe, I wish to bring Barsine, my sister-in-law, to my satrapy. She could be a tool in the hands of others and I wish to keep her from harm, and from harming the realm. I intend to come to Babylon soon in order to pay my respect to the King and his regent.

Eutukhei

Peithon, Satrap of Greater Media,

Word has likely reached you regarding the rise of the Greek defectors, men who have abandoned their posts and homes of Bactria and Sogdia, lands under my governorship. They seek to betray the wishes of our late Alexander and fight their way back to the lands of Greece, a vain idea that shall only serve to cause mayhem wherever they march. It is thus that I write you, in the hopes that you may prepare yourself for their coming, for they seek to march through Media and reach the Caspian Gates, and ready a force to drive them back to where they belong for the betterment of both our lands and those lands that would be prey to this band should they pass through Greater Media.

Humbly,

Philippos, Satrap of Bactria and Sogdia

Πείθων

Philippos, Satrap of Bactria and Sogdia,

I thank you for your letter. I have heard the news.

Humbly,

Peithon, Satrap of Greater Media

Antipatros strikes back​

The decision of the ekklesia to hold back the army at the Sperchus River was to prove crucial for the development of the war. Leosthenes grew impatient as the Thessalians refused to join him, after it became known that the Epirote King Aiakides, his daughter’s spouse, had joined the Macedonians. This news was a shock to some of the Greeks, as Epirus had usually stayed neutral in Greek affairs. Most possibly the reason for the intervention was an attempt by Aiakides to gain the trust of the Macedonians, so that his Kingdom wouldn’t be the next target of a their possible new conquests. And after all, he was related to the family of Megas Alexandros.

Realizing the need for reinforcement troops, Antipatros called upon the subjugated tribes of the North to send troops to assist him in battle. Much to his dismay, neither of the Barbarian kings showed up, and instead sent a contingent of 1,000 Light Cavalry each. But this was nevertheless a valuable addition to the Macedonian force, especially because the Greeks lacked in cavalry due to the Thessalians staying loyal. Together with the Barbarians, Antipatros marched onto Larissa in Thessaly, where he was joined by the Hipparch Menon and his exalted Thessalian cavalrymen.

Meanwhile, the Epirotes departed Molossia under the leadership of King Aiakides. The journey over to Thessaly would pass mountainous and rugged terrain, inhabited by the Athamanians, who many regarded as barbarians. While moving through a mountainous pass, the Epirotes were ambushed by a contingent of light infantry and skirmishers, who caused considerable havoc to the advancing column. The Athamanians demanded that Aiakides pay them a decent sum of talents in order to pass. The King refused, and a battle ensued. Unknown to the Athamanians, the Epirotes knew how to deal with a light tribal army. They had fought in the defence of Magna Graecia, and against the Illyrians. The veteran hoplites cleared the pass for Aiakides’ army, and the Athamanians withdrew. However, the casualties were heavy, and the journey was delayed. Aiakides and his officers swore to avenge this later.

As winter starts to close, and there is no sight of the Epirotes, the Macedonian officers started to grow uneasy. Many demanded Antipatros to take action before they have to set up winter quarters. The urges to move south were also backed by intelligence, as spies reported of discontent among the Greek ranks due to the failure to win a decisive engagement. Finally Antipatros agreed, and the Macedonians and their allies marched to the city and fortress of Lamia, and started sending skirmishers to the river in order to scout the Greek positions. Due to the winter closing in, the Greeks had already gone into camp. After Aiakides finally arrived with his Epirotes, Antipatros grew more confident. He launched a night party over the river, engaged a few Greek camps, causing heavy casualties with little losses of his own men.

Leosthenes then decided to have his revenge and sent a counterattack over the river into Thessaly proper, against the wishes of Athens. Antipatros was waiting. On another flank he had the Epirotes and Taulantians, on another the Thessalians and the Paionians. In the middle he put his phalanx, backed by lighter infantry. Both flanks sent their infantry and light cavalry to harass the advance of the Greek hoplites, creating gaps in their formations. The Thessalian, Epirote and Macedonian cavalry then made use of this, striking heavy blows to the hoplites, and fully routing the Aetolian cavalry. Leosthenes had no other chance than to call a retreat. The Greek lines were thrown into utter chaos, and many were cut down as they made their way back across the river to their camp. This brief engagement had proven victorious, yet costly in manpower, for Macedonians, and Antipatros set up camp at Lamia. But it was far from a decisive battle bringing a quick end to the war. However, the Greek army was greatly brought down in numbers, now numbering little over 15,000 men, of whom many had a weak morale.

While the Athenians had definitely hesitated on the land, on the sea they were very active. After the Athenian navarchs noticed a complete lack of Macedonian naval activity, they could switch their shipping escorting the grain convoys from the north to offensive action. The ekklesia approved a daring plan, and a notable army of Athenian citizen hoplites as well as triremes gathered in Piraeus. The Athenian navy sailed, and occupied Naxos as well as other minor islands. The citizens of these islands secretly supported the Greek uprising, and were swiftly taken over due to lack of powerful Macedonian garrisons. After gaining encouragement due to their successes, the Athenians launched a powerful attack on Rhodes. The Rhodians also detested the Macedonian ruled, and set into motion an uprising. The small Macedonian garrison was able to withdraw to Halicarnassos, and urged the satraps to actually notice the severity of the situation. The Aegean was now undoubtedly under Athenian domination, and would have severe impact on Macedonian trade.

In Epirus nobles left behind by Aiakides started to recruit new soldiers to bolster the army of the Kingdom. Molossian men were paid lavishly for joining new regiments of light hoplites and skirmishers. Antipatros himself put into motion a mobilization, too. He was able to bring around the few still unrecruited Thessalians and Macedonians to join his army as phalangites and skirmisher infantry. He had also spent most of the time in Thessaly with his fellow commanders and soldiers, building up morale. The old general was a man respected by all, and the army would definitely die for him and their Kingdom if necessary.

The threat of the Athenian navy was taken into account, and vast ship construction was launched. None of the ships however were finished in time to defend the Aegean, but would soon be ready to take action. The construction along the Macedonian coast however met considerable failure, as daring Athenian raids damaged the shipyards, while the Macedonian fleet already on sea remained idle in port. 50 triremes were finished by Philotas, and 50 by Krateros in Cilicia. An additional 50 Triremes and 50 Penteres were expected to be finished in Macedonia by spring. If used well, this fleet could pose a serious opponent to the pride of Athens, though even they had been able to build new ships, and gather naval reinforcements from other poleis. The Hellenic War would only get bloodier from now on.

[-1,000 Cavalry, -1,000 Infantry to Aiakides, -1,000 Light Infantry, -2,000 Heavy Infantry to Antipatros, +3,000 Light Infantry, +3,000 Heavy Infantry available by spring for Antipatros, +2,000 Light Infantry to Aiakides by spring ]

[-10,000 Drachma to Aiakides, -40,000 Drachma to Antipatros, no trade income for Asandros, Menandros and Leonnatus until the control of the Aegean is won back]

[+50 Triremes to Philotas, +50 triremes to Krateros, -25,000 Drachma to both, Philotas’ triremes under Krateros’ control for time being, +50 Triremes, +50 Penteres to Antipatros by spring, -80,000 Drachma to Antipatros ]