• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Slavery belongs to the ancien régime. Let it stay there.
I hereby support the bill on the abolishment of Slavery.

- André Bouchard, Secretary of State of the Navy

I support the abolition of slavery. It has no place in a nation of free and equal men.

I also hope this new bill can help us re-unite with the peoples of Santa Dominga ((Haiti)), they wanted an end to slavery, we shall bring it to them.

Jacques "The Red" Baudouin

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

EMANCIPATION OF THE SLAVES
Written after word arrived at Chinon vis-à-vis the Proposed Legislation

The eradication of slavery throughout France’s overseas possessions is an initiative consistent with the values of the Age of Enlightenment.

The end to the oppressive condition of slavery will be a bold step to address instances of unrest in Saint-Domingue. Whether the emancipated slaves will resume their vital participation in the colonial economy remains to be seen. Understanding that their principal demand is the end of slavery and recognising that the proposed legislation meets this demand in full, there is reasonable hope that the passage of such legislation would cause the insurrection to dissipate.

However, I propose that the preamble to the legislation, namely the words drawn from our colleagues across the Ocean “That all men are created equal,” are simply expunged or revised to read "Men are born and remain free and equal in rights" as per the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen.

I can't imagine that France would want to taint our enlightened emancipation of the slaves with words drawn from a foreign land where, despite the proclamation of self-evident truths on the subject of equality, slavery remains very much in place.

This adjustment does not deprive the operative clauses of the legislation of their full weight, and retains the substantive clarity of the legislation regarding the abolition of slavery.

While in principle, the eradication of slavery receives my wholehearted support, I cannot support the proposed legislation while we embrace such American-isms in France.

Sincerely:​

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Comte de Cosnac, et de Chinon
Baron de Barbezieux, de Cozes, et de Saujon
Pair de France
Sous-Sécretariat d’État à la Guerre
Géneral de Brigade

Last edited:
I have revised my proposal:
The Bill of Rights for the Dominions and Colonies of the Nation of France
This declaration declares that all men are born and remain free and equal, and have the rights to freedom and prosperity. No man or women shall be brought or sold as property in the nation of France or her subjects, and that any work done must be paid for by currency or other forms of payment. Any person held as a slave shall be emancipated from such a position. Any person, whether a citizen of France or no, caught holding any person as property or carrying people intended to be sold into slavery will be arrested under this declaration and shall be considered an enemy of Liberty, to which the highest punishment will be afforded.

Last edited:

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

Written after word arrived at Chinon vis-à-vis the Proposed Legislation

I wholeheartedly support this proposed legislation. It marks the considerable progress of the French State towards the full enactment of our cherished Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen.

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Pair de France
Géneral de Brigade

A carrier arrives with a latter from General Javert Valjean
" I javert Valjean support the motion of elimination the slavery of our fellow man in our external territories but ask with a frown why was the original phrasing changed? are we not all equals ? therefore i suggest the writting is changed to : all men are born and remains free and equal. Because we are not just equals in rights! we are equals in duties, no one is truly above anyone else because a social station except when required by governmental position,work or an organization related. any noble here is my equal, not only on our rights!."

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

Response to the Letter from Monsieur Javert

Cher Monsieur,

A request for a revision to the original wording – drawn from the American Declaration of Independence – was proposed because it seems insincere to employ the words of a document which proclaims the self-evident equality amongst men while still maintaining the institution of slavery.

The terminology of the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen provides a more sincere basis for the emancipation of slaves, and provides for consistency in our legal vocabulary.

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Pair de France
Géneral de Brigade

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

REVISING THE RIGHTS OF MAN AND CITIZEN
Response to the Letter from Monsieur Javert

Cher Monsieur Javert,

The Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen indicate that Men are born and remain free and equal in rights. Your most recent letter, of which I have come to learn from close colleagues, calls legislation to reflect that men are not only equal in their rights but also in their duties.

This notion of equality in rights and responsibilities is one very much to be embraced. Perhaps you would consider proposing a Constitutional Revision so that the first Article of the cherished Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen may come to reflect the fact that citizens share equal rights and responsibilities. Through this our equality may be deepened, and the goals of the authors of the Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen may come to be more fully realised.

Rights of Man and Citizen (1789)

Constitution of France* (1791)
* With Revisions listed here (scroll to bottom of post)

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Pair de France
Géneral de Brigade

Last edited:

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

Letter to Monsieur Aulard

Cher General Aulard,

While you will have learnt from my previous letter to you my of hope that the emancipation of the slaves would have been the first decisive act of your forthcoming premiership, you will have likely also heard that legislation has been put forward to achieve this end prior to your impending ascension to the high-office of First Minister.

In light of criticisms voiced by the citizens of Paris—unfairly taking aim at your mayoral and martial performance in these troubled times—I had through that emancipation for the slaves would have demonstrated a principled implementation of the Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen, and would have gained for you the applause and praise of which you are most deserving.

Nevertheless, this opportunity to set the tone for your mandate as First Minister is no longer available, and a new means by which you make your mark on history will have to be found. However, let us celebrate the deepening of freedom and liberty achieved through the expedited emancipation of the slaves.

Your Faithful Friend,

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Pair de France
Géneral de Brigade

Message from the GM

Your inbox was full so I'll just drop this here:

I was going to clarify the situation when the next update came, but since I've kept having to push it further and further back, I'll just let everyone know now. I'm in the unfortunate position of currently attempting to move house while also being in the midst of exams. I dearly don't want to put DOTR on ice as people are enjoying it and it's only been running for awhile, so I had hoped to maintain a minimal update schedule to keep it afloat in the interim. However, the updates are indeed rather time intensive (they can take up to four hours) so I've fallen far behind. I've only had enough time to quickly jump in the forums for the odd FOE post.

If you'd let everyone know, my hope is that I'll get in at least one mega-update before 8 May, and then another after that sometime between 12 and 23 May. Of course, this is an aspiration, rather than a promise; I don't want to set anything in stone or cause disappointment.

((This is understandable I wish you good luck with your exams and I hope you like your new house. Please give a desperate general some hints on what's going on with his army I sincerely miss my men and look forward to commanding them in the future. ))