• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"I see that many of you oppose many of the bills I have presented. I will hope to shed some light on the proceedings and the bills that I wrote.

This first in regard to the status of Marie Antoinette. It is known that Leopold is apathetic about France, only wishing to defend his family, Austrian pride and placate the French Princes in the HRE. If the Queen Mother were to return home to Austria, then Leopold will have one less reason to care about France and use the combined might of the HRE to destroy all we have sought to achieve.

Agreed, war is not preferable to our current state. We must bolster our strength so we have a greater chance of advancing the cause of Liberty to Europe.

Considering the Conscription bill. It is radical, it is revolutionary yes. But so is this government. We need to do whatever is in our power to do to protect all of us, to protect the Government and protect the Revolution from counter revolutionaries.

I agree wholeheartedly sir with the conscription. A Republic is for the people, by the people, and must be defended by the people as well. France has immense resource available to fight the whole of Europe if it comes to that.

But grouping conscription waves will help ease the burden on the people and reduce war exhaustion.

On the treatment of Émigrés, their Families and their possessions, simply said it a compromise. The radicals want them dead while the moderates want them tried. As such I tried to attempt to establish a midway solution that leaves everyone equally unhappy, knowing that anything less will or more please some but alienate the rest.

Well the midway position is to accept emigres if they become regular citizens of the Republic. Theft does not belong in a Republic especially by its elected representatives. Emigres are a source of talent and skills that we need quite desperately as to not depend entirely on the aristocratic leadership of the military.

On the Special Order of Militaristic Clubs, it is simple. We need every resource to defend the Revolution, I did not expect issues from the Clubs in this matter, seeing as we all fought for the same thing.

Well your vision seems to be quite limited on the Revolution. Half the proposals you made are horrifying corrosive to liberty and republican society. The clubs are an important source of debate and philosophical innovation. I wish for all political clubs to remain free from the grasps of the State. You cannot force those who do not wish to fight for our Republic and the clubs that wish to fight will fight on their own and coordinate effectively with the Army and one another.

The special orders on the Counts are also simple in nature. They are traitors, no if ands or buts. However if people wish for a trial that everyone already knows the result of, that is fine too.

Society is a combination of habits, we are a new Republic and must exercise the muscle of liberty so that tyranny will never again be strong enough to enslave the people for generations. Application of the law and the introduction of new social habits are never simple.

Lastly, the bill On the Stability of France and it's Territories. I will speak frankly on this. Monsieur Bouchard sees intrigue and betrayal where there is none. I'm surprised he allows shadows in his presence if he is so quick to jump to accusations of treason and power mongering. The bill is an effort to establish a widescale system of accountability and justice across the highly diverse Provinces of France. If Monsieur is so keen on us fighting, I am willing to take up a pistol in the Champs de Mars and end this petty pseudo-feud once and for all in a dignified manner. We are all in this together gentlemn, I know you know no trust amongst us, however we work together or hang apart by the hands of Counter-Revolutionaries.

Yes a new and unified system...under the absolute control of your ministry. If you cannot see the detriment to liberty that causes then I must question your judgement.

Now is not the time to descend into paranoid factionalism. Besides I will add a condition removing the unlimited powers following the end of our war with the HRE.

And we're supposed to trust one man to ensure the safety of liberty? There is no paranoia only healthy and accurate observations about what seems to be obvious power grabs and obvious corruption of Revolutionary ideals.

Just to clarify: the émigrés are explicitly the ancien regime aristocrats who fled France following the revolution, not all emigrants in general.

Lastly, the bill On the Stability of France and it's Territories. I will speak frankly on this. Monsieur Bouchard sees intrigue and betrayal where there is none. I'm surprised he allows shadows in his presence if he is so quick to jump to accusations of treason and power mongering. The bill is an effort to establish a widescale system of accountability and justice across the highly diverse Provinces of France. If Monsieur is so keen on us fighting, I am willing to take up a pistol in the Champs de Mars and end this petty pseudo-feud once and for all in a dignified manner. We are all in this together gentlemn, I know you know no trust amongst us, however we work together or hang apart by the hands of Counter-Revolutionaries.

Now is not the time to descend into paranoid factionalism. Besides I will add a condition removing the unlimited powers following the end of our war with the HRE.
Citizen Parént still fail to address that his bill will greatly empower two ministries that are so conveniently in the hands of the same organization he currently leads, instead he prefer to lose this assembly's time accusing some of us of being "paranoid".

Once again it seems that the words "accountability" and "Justice" only serve to hide a Templar attempt to take control of the national institutions, the fact that Parént doesn't seem willing to talk about this little problem can only increase our doubts. Parént's words have not convinced us and we will have to oppose this dangerous bill at all costs, I call every member of this assembly to think very carefully before handling such enormous power to a partisan organisation like the Templar club.

- André Bouchard, Secretary of State of the Navy

((I made a terrible mistake. I thought Austria bordered our Southern flank, and that the North was pretty much secure. Damn.))

France is under attack! Man the ramparts, stand shoulder by shoulder as the counterrevolutionary forces approach and inevitably deflect from our lines of defence, steadfast and inspired as our Revolutionary armies stand. Whereas I spoke of unity before; now, Monarchist and Cordelier alike will fight and die side by side, in the face of a foreign invasion.

The casus belli presented by the Kaiser is, naturally, a farce. France is led by her King, and this battle is one between the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire and the King of France. I shall side with the King; for as much as I may loathe the Monarchist institution, France stands above petty rivalries and ideology. France is our home, and we are now to defend it.

On the Stability of France and it's Territories
Special Order on the Status of Militant Branches of Political Clubs

I feel that Monsieur Parént should reconsider these highly debated pieces of legislation. First and foremost, because the Special Order in particular tolerates vigilante actions and organizations. Private militias are illegal, and by law, I'd like to keep it that way.

As for the article on the Stability of France and it's Territories; it simply puts too much power into the hands of two Ministries. I realize that both Ministries are currently held by acclaimed revolutionaries, but the power granted by this article could very well pave the way for Monarchist repression. Either way, it is undemocratic and should therefore be scrapped.

The other articles are fine as far as I'm concerned, even though I had liked to recieve advanced notice.

- First Minister Renaud de Cartelège

((hey syriana, question who declared war to us?, did sardina-piedmont do it too?))

At present, France is at war with Prussia and the Hapsburg Empire (Austria). It is likely, that the other German states and Hapsburg satellites will intervene depending on events.

Vincent was questioned later on the stability bill, he have the following answer.

"Politicians see darkness where I see duty, they see betrayal where I see simple emergency measures. People trust the police, who trust the judges who trust their judgement. I fail to see why there is no trust for policemen and judges when we are simply trying to keep order. If need be I will stand down as L-G of Police and allow a none Societe member to take its place. This is not a political move, but an emergency measure.

By god, if this is how we act against our friends, I fear for the future of France"

Report On The Finances Of The Republic

And

Budgetary Proposals

By Controller-General of Finances, Antoine Durand

Total Spending: 904,600,000 livres
Army: 150,000,000 livres
Navy: 272,500,000 livres
Infrastructure: 36,400,000 livres
Administration: 50,000,000 livres
Colonies: 75,000,000 livres
Court: 1,000,000 livres
Miscellaneous: 20,000,000 livres
Debt Interest: 292,200,000 livres

Total Income: 764,600,000 livres
Taxes: 300,000,000 livres
Tariffs: 222,400,000 livres
Property: 100,000,000 livres
Colonies: 142,200,000 livres

Total Balance: -140,000,000 livres
Treasury: -3,877,000,000 livres

GNP: 7,000,000,000 livres
Population: 27,000,000

Greetings gentleman, I have compiled a comprehensive report of the Fatherland's finances to aid in the government's understanding of our current situation and to present areas of the budget that affect the nation.

First and for most I propose a cut of the entirety of the court expenditures. The king and aristocrats must make sacrifices for the Republic along with the rest of the people. While the King lives in opulence the people live in poverty and soon will be dying in the frontiers for the Republic.

Moving on, I propose the cancelation of all debt. The nations that we owe money have publically stated their hostility to the Revolution and as war approaches the sovereignty of the Fatherland is under threat by the slave hordes of the tyrants of Germany. As you can see this will place the country's finances in the black by roughly 150,000,000 livres.

Now we must address the issue of taxation and the health of the economy.

I propose the establishment of a national tax collection service as part of the Ministry of Finance. Tax officers shall be paid an income directly from the treasury and tax farming will of course be removed from the society. (I think has been done already but just wanted to clarify and organize things). All citizens of every class, religion, and position in the nation shall pay a Defense Tax which should boost income by 100,000,000 livres (my hopes for the new income in the update Syriana).

Furthermore I wish to lower tariffs by 50,000,000 livres in order to promote private enterprise. With the formation of new enterprises I hope to provide greater economic empowerment to the people and plant the seeds for greater tax income in the future.

With the additional 300,000,000 livres I wish to dedicate 200,000,000 toward the Army. I would like to spend 20,000,000 on the improvement of sanitation and infrastructure in the cities, especially Paris. 20,000,000 on establishing programs to educate the youth of the nation in reading, writing, and counting. 20,000,000 for the administration of the country. And finally 40,000,000 toward the establishment of the Civil Service that shall operate toward providing relief in the form of food, shelter, and miscellaneous social work.

Last edited:
GM NOTE:

I would like to reassert the first rule of the game: civility. Bear in mind that "stay on good terms with your fellow players so that everyone will have a good time" applies not just to the thread, but every facet of the game - including other channels, such as private messages and the IRC channel.

I recently asked to have the IRC channel closed because it was being inappropriately used. The IRC channel is intended to facilitate discussion and collaboration; it is not intended as a venue for personal disputes. Although it is not supervised by myself or officially connected to the game in any way, such incidents badly reflected upon the game; tension can spillover and ruin everyone's experience. Therefore, I asked for it to be closed.

I have decided that the IRC channel will be reopened in 24 hours. Please remember to use discretion and restraint when dealing with your fellow players. If you cannot stand someone else, do not engage them; if you cannot trust yourself to use the channel without getting into a confrontation, then don't. The channel is still useful for collaborating with your fellow players and getting to know them. But if I hear of any further incidents where it is being abused, I am afraid that it will have to be gone for good.

Sorry for this seriousness, but I felt the intervention was necessary. You may now resume the inevitable destruction of France...

PIUS PP. VI.

In defence of the faith and in the name of Almighty God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, three persons distinct and separate, and one sole divine essence. Be manifest and publicly known to all who shall see it this public instrument of confirmation and rectification.

If any man should be elected, ordained and enthroned to sacral office contrary to our decree and against our counsel, then by the authority of God and of the Holy Apostles, he shall be subjected to a perpetual anathema, evicted as Antichrist from the Universal Church and irrevocably deposed from every ecclesiastical grade. Moreover, whoever shall scorn the import of this statute, and shall challenge the Church by action contrary to this our decree, shall be condemned with a perpetual anathema and excommunication and shall feel against them the wrath of Almighty God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, and shall experience in this life and in the next the fury of the Holy Apostles of the Church he sought to subvert. But the grace of Almighty God shall protect those who observe this our decree, and the authority of the Blessed Apostles shall absolve them from the bonds of all their sins.

Datum Romae apud Sanctum Petrum, sub annulo Piscatoris die XV Octobris, MDCCXCI, pont. nostri sexti decimi anni.

Once again the Roman Pope try to interfere in questions that should not concern him! The French People is free and do not answer anymore to the tool of oppression that is the Papacy! The French Church is under the control of the French People and the Pope is in no position to make demands!

Executive Declaration

Any soldier in the French Army, whether he is drafted or a volunteer, may opt to have two-thirds of his wages paid out immediately in the form of food. The Government will guarantee that the families of these soldiers remain well-fed, and that they will receive one nutritious hot meal a day.

Aside from the designated funds that the soldier in question donates to his family, the Government will ensure an ample supply of food by means of the 40,000,000 livres that have been allocated to the establishment of the Civil Service.

Signed,

First Minister Renaud de Cartelège

So with time on pressure i say we vote on the conscription bill proposed by Vincent parent. I vote AYE

I can personally attest to the urgency of Conscription Bill it is for this reason that I give it's sponsors my full support and I hope it gets passed.

- General Charles-Pierre-François Augereau Commander of the Army of the Rhine

((I don't know if I can vote as I'm a general but if I can it'd be an AYE))

M. Bouchard,

The Civil Constitution of the Clergy, however, states that where possible it should not be construed as rending the French Church from communion with the Universal Church. On the contrary, the Pope at least has a moral, if not a strictly at this point a legal right to make requests of his brother bishops and the faithful. The French Church, rightly or wrongly, is de facto under the control of the French Government, but it is still part of the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

-de Loiollac.

Meanwhile in Trier, Count de Nogaret-Lefebvre offered his services to Prince of Conde and asked to lead the royalist Frenchmen in the campaign against the new regime in France along with Germans and Austrians. Soon after the war broke out, leaflets started appearing in the countryside, describing the atrocities of Jacobins against the Clergy and poor peasants.

nco189729.jpg

nco189751.jpg

Meanwhile in Trier, Count de Nogaret-Lefebvre offered his services to Prince of Conde and asked to lead the royalist Frenchmen in the campaign against the new regime in France along with Germans and Austrians. Soon after the war broke out, leaflets started appearing in the countryside, describing the atrocities of Jacobins against the Clergy and poor peasants.

The recent surge of Monarchist and Counter-Revolutionary propaganda must be stopped! To address this concern I present the following act.

Act against the vile lies of the Counter-Revolutionaries

I. This act declares that from now on it will be considered a criminal offense to show contempt for or ridicule the Revolution, her symbols or her ideals in any form or way.

II. All those who will disrespect the revolution by showing contempt to or ridiculing it will be sentenced to fifteen years of prison and the confiscation of their property.

III. All those who will try to foment unrest, rebellion or any kind of violent opposition to the Revolution and her followers will be sentenced to death through Guillotine and the confiscation of their property.
Vive la Révolution!
Vive la France!

Vincent leans over to an ally

"They call giving police emergency powers during an emergency anti-revolutionary, but the repression of thought isn't? Heh, politicians"