• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After discussions with the First Minister and assurances that he will request that the Phrygian and Carabiniers Guards disarm I have decided that I will be disbanding the National Guard forces. I hope that His Excellency and the National Guardsmen will be able to secure the streets of Paris and that our great and beautiful city will not, once again, burn.

~Louis Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans

148px-Coat_of_Arms_of_France.svg.png
Loyal citizens of Paris,

Lay down your arms. The loss of the Constitutional Revolution and the abdication of His Majesty Louis XVI have been hard blows. Many of you have seen your friends and colleagues string up by the wild and treacherous mobs for little more than their loyalty to the Crown, and have had your homes and beloved places of worship razed to the earth in the name of their heathen ideals and pagan idols. A few of you may have had grandfathers who served proudly under Louis le Grand and have yourselves loyally served God and the King. But His Majesty Louis-Charles continues to reign from the Tuileries. A King still beseeches for us before God. Lay down your arms and go home as honourable men who have served your sovereign and your nation with pride. To persist would endanger His Majesty and yourselves and wreak even more undeserved destruction upon the people of Paris. You have done your duty, now rest and may God's blessing be with you always.

Francisco_Franco_Signature.svg

Francisque de St Denis-Paternoster,
Royal Secretary to His Majesty the King of the French

After discussions with His Majesty, it has been decided that the Chateau de Saint Cloud, previously owned by the House of Orléans, will be transferred to Louis Philippe "Egalité" who will use the Chateau as the seat of the Regency that will act on behalf of the King. The King himself will remain at the Tuileries Palace in Paris.

I am also pleased to announce the founding, this day, of a new political force in France, L'Alliance des Compatriotes. This Alliance, unlike the Parisian clubs, will be an Alliance for all Frenchmen, from Nice to Brest and Bordeaux to Strasbourg, not only for the people of Paris and to effectively accomplish this I hereby announce that we will make membership of the Alliance free so that all Frenchmen may participate! We will of course ask for donations from those with the means to give them and as such I, Louis Philippe Egalité hereby announce that I will donate a significant amount of livres to the Alliance. The Alliance will be looking to gain members throughout France, including the so called "Plain" of the National Assembly as well as every Frenchmen, rich or poor, who wishes to see France as a whole improved. It will stand for the economic and social development of France and will aim to represent all France, not only the people of Paris. As we speak a new salon in the Galeries D'Orléans is being opened for the Alliance and the Alliance will use my donation to begin the construction of a salon in every city in France.

~Louis Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans

OOC: The Galeries D'Orléans is the main Court in the Palais-Royal, Louis Philippe opened it to the public and it's now one of the most important marketplace's in Paris and is also known for it's sophisticated political conversation thanks to it's numerous salons and bars.

500px-UMP.svg.png

Union for a Popular Movement
Union pour un Mouvement Populaire
The Union for a Popular Movement is a society of like-minded persons who stand for order, stability, and the rule of law. With the Constitution of 7th October, the Revolution for which the French people set out has been achieved. Every Frenchman, from peasant to Bourbon grandee, now has the right to be represented in their own government; while the monarchy has been stripped of all powers which trample the democratic soul of the people. Now however we must rest and focus on the future. Rule of law, not rule of the mob, is to be worked for in all things. The Union pour un Mouvement Populaire respects His Majesty Louis-Charles and his role in the government and historical tradition of the French and wishes to find a balance of co-operation, not rivalry or violence, in the new France.

Francisque de St Denis-Paternoster

An Excerpt From an Article Ran in the Voice of the French

It is with great happiness that I give you this news; the Duc d'Orleans has announced the creation of L'Alliance des Compatriotes, truly an auspicious accomplishment for all of France. Now, the rest of France will finally have a say in what happens to our people. United, we shall remove Parisian dominance from French affairs and guide the destiny of France! No matter what your political inclinations are, we cannot pursue them until Parisian control over France's domestic and foreign policy is broken. All people of France and her rightful lands have a right to help guide the path of their blessed land whether they speak Breizh, Nourmaund, the lenga d'òc, French, Euskara, or Catalan lest we submit our selves to tyranny. For too long have the Parisian clubs seduced the French people with their egocentric lies of "equality" and "liberty". Truly, one knows that people cannot have that if one small group of the populace is to control all governmental functions for their own vainglorious attempts for posterity and fame while caring little for the people who they are supposed to defend and fairly govern. These clubs have even charged people to listen to their lies in places of conversation in order to further expand their own funds for goals that we do not even know. These clubs also seem content to decimate their own city with unorganized mobs with the goal to bring "justice" to "reactionary scum". Clearly, these clubs' mobs are dangerous and must not be let into the rational world outside of Paris lest they bring chaos and death upon us all. I implore all of you, my loyal readers, to join the L'Alliance des Compatriotes and make your opinions known. The meeting place shall be in the Place Bellecour where a large pavilion shall be constructed! Rise, people of France, and retake our lives from the Parisians! Continued and elaborated on Page 3

~Ferran Ignasi, Proud Compatriote​

Name: Ignace Louis de Loiollac, Baron de Loiollac
Date of Birth: 31 July 1751
Estate: Second
Religion: Catholic
Culture: Basque
Biography: Born to a distant branch of the same family as that of the famed Saint Ignatius, the Barons de Loiollac were actually rather modest in circumstances, being distinguished from the free peasantry by their title, the (by now abolished) right to wear a sword and to hunt, and little else. Joining the Army, he served under Lafayette in the American campaign, and was rewarded with a position in the Army of Alsace, eventually becoming at a young age a General. He assumed command in early 1791 owing to the desertion of his superiors into exile across the border. He has generally been popular with his men, largely because of his combat experience and a reputation for his concern with their welfare. Initially a monarchist of sorts, with the proscription of the political monarchists it is rumored that he is sympathetic to the ideas of St-Denis-Paternoster and the Populaires.

General de Loiollac, upon hearing of the events in Paris, took the following actions:

First, he assembled all his men, and made the following remarks in front of them:

"My fellow soldiers and Frenchmen;

I have received word that His Most Christian Majesty, Louis the Sixteenth, has renounced his right to the throne of France, and that consequently, his son, Louis-Charles, is now the King of France and Navarr... I mean, the King of the French, sorry. While it is unfortunate that the previous king has abdicated, nonetheless, the accession of a new king, particularly a young, innocent and saintly prince, is always a cause for joy. To that end, tonight, everyone is to receive double rations and a special pay bonus. But before the festivities begin, there needs to be a few important matters to resolve. I ask you to join me in swearing before Almighty God the following:

I swear before Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Most Christian Majesty Louis-Charles, his heirs and his successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend His Majesty, His Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of His Majesty, His Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me.

Now, we can all celebrate! Have a beer, have some sausages! I'll join you shortly, I have a few things to do!"

Afterwards, he drafted the following letter to the War Secretary:

My dear Secretary Aulard;

I hope this report finds you in good spirits. The accession of a new King is always cause for celebration. That said, I have a few concerns I need to share with yourself.

Firstly, while I have ensured the men are in good spirits now, I am concerned that the disturbances in the capital lately have had a negative impact on the morale of the men. Not just the officers, but a few enlisted men have, when they think I'm not around, talked of deserting and crossing the border. I try to stop them, but as long as there is tumult in the capital and government, the morale question will remain a going concern. If you require my services in restoring order, I am at your disposal.

Secondly, the Dukes of Chartres and Montpensier are in part a catalyst for some of the desertions. Do you wish that I conduct a cross-border expedition to capture these deserters?

I eagerly await your response.

Yours in loyal service,

de Loiollac, Army of Alsace.

He then joined in the celebrations with his men, celebrating as soldiers are wont to do - with a lot of drinking, though he did not partake in the camp followers.

People of Paris!
People of France

I ask you to always vigilant against the forces of counter revolution, wherever they hide and plot!

Here i am today, to warn you about the political club which dare to call themselves Union for a Popular Movement. I warn you against them and to be ever vigilant of them. For if there is one thing i know is to smell where something rotten and shady is being done, and the UMP reeks of it! It reeks of counter-revolution, it reeks of Monarchism, for i may not have proof but reeks of a hideout for the counter-revolution forces to escape our ever vigilant stance of them.

So i ask you to shame them!, to not join them!, to be vigilant of anyone you know that joins them for they may be involved in counter-revolutionary activities or soon to be tricked into it!.

Save your friend, save your families from the great and irrevocable sin that is to be a counter-revolutionary and betray the Revolution!.

About the L'Alliance des Compatriotes by our esteem Louis Philippe "Egalité", I ask him to moderate his language for his accusation the Parisian clubs care not for the rest of the country are most certainly incorrect. We look for the good of all the nation and are ever expanding our bases in other cities across France. It is true we have had little prescence in the past , but that is based in our club being banned and more importantly the availability of money to do such expansions. In difference of his person we dont have enormous amount of money handed over from our parents to ourself....no we manage with what we have by donations and small amount of money members can give and little by little expand and create bases everywhere for our club!!

We ask Louis Philippe "Egalité" to be ever vigilant to, not his club become a front and hideout for monarchist and their sympathizers and in doing so a counter-revolutionary force. I of course dont belive thats the intention at all of monsieur Egalite, but i know of his forgiving nature and old affections and friendship of the past may blind him to unrepentant counter-revolutionaries hiding in his organization.Be ever Vigilant Monsieur Egalite for I am always so!.

I make a notice to Ferran Ignasi in his article Voice of the French. His words and messages are of most disgusting lies and believe. Certainly not the expectation of a revolutionary, his joining to the organization of fellow citizen Egalite, worry me greatly, and i hope measures to correct such a counter-revolutionary message are being taken, for the citizen of Paris are the core of the revolution, and such slander is unacceptable!

Now spread the word, call people to action and solidarity, spread the message through the countryside!

Speech by Javert Valjean in the street of Paris.

((edited for some grammar and writing corrections, message didn't changed)

Last edited:
The Baron d’Harfleur rose from his bed; Monsieur Parent could be called many things, but a poor host was certainly not one. It had already been a day since his arrival, and the revolutionary leader had consistently shown kindness and hospitality to his one-time rival, which would have waylaid any concerns Paul had about his future, were it not for his waiting for the First Minister’s reply; he doubted he would remain in his position, something which, though obviously expected, stung nonetheless, but he hoped he could at least be persuaded to ensure the King’s protection. He knew in an instant that the letter to his brother was quite likely the wisest thing he had done this past week. The Baron walked towards the window, and looked at out the foggy streets of Paris; it was quiet, a ghost town. He had half-assumed the night to bring the Phrygian guard, and with it his death; perhaps they had chosen an easier target.

Paul looked over in the way of the Peletier, expecting to see a smoking hulk where the “counter-revolutionaries” had so bravely defended their homes and their crown; save for some puffs of dark grey smoke wafting dully from the chimneys over the still-dark skies of morning, the last drops of the evening’s drizzle coming down (were Paul a more poetic sort, he likely would’ve declared that the heavens were weeping for France); he had weighed, and indeed had very closely decided in favour of joining the rebels there and continuing the fight for the crown. The King’s words echoed in his head though, and he knew that such an effort would be futile, and opposed to his last task.

The sun was slowly rising over the fields, though peaty bogs would perhaps be more accurate, and Paul decided to get dressed; perhaps he could curry favour with the revolutionaries whilst still not betraying his conscience.

-

He bid Parent’s servant farewell as he mounted his horse rode off, the sun still low in the cloudy sky. As he rode past the Royal Palace, he felt eyes upon him from the looming building; he wondered if they were friendly eyes, or hateful ones. It had barely brightened by the time he reached the barricades of the Peletiers, their muskets at first trained fearfully on him, before one of their leaders recognised him (that alone threw Paul aback).

“Monsieur Minister, what are you doing here? Do you intend to lead a revolution?” One of the men said, a portly fellow, likely the reason Paris was starving. It was only as Paul passed him, in complete silence, that he noticed the man was in chains. “Pay him no mind, your Excellency; he’s a Phrygian bastard who tried to rape my daughter.” An older man, with wispy whiskers and a receding hairline said, spitting at the man as he passed.

“Monsieur, may I ask who is in command here?” Paul asked, trying to ignore the Phrygian’s screams as a pair of men began beating him.

The balding man was silent for a moment, his brow furrowed, before he answered “I suppose Robert;” he looked back at the Phrygian “he’s the one who stopped that cretin, and who got the men to build barriers.”

“I would very much wish to speak with this Robert, if he willing.” The elderly man nodded politely, before shouting at a child to get Robert on the double.

The two men talked of matters of little import for a short while, before a short man, stocky and ginger-bearded, approached them; he smelt distinctly of rum and gunpowder. “To what do I owe the honour, your Grace?” he said with a toothy grin.

“I take it that you are… Robert?” Paul replied, more than a little dumbfounded.

“I suppose I am –a- Robert, but I’m the one you asked for, your Grace.”

“Your Excellency-“

“There’s no need for that, your Grace”

“- y-yes, well… I must declare, Robert, that you have done what I would have thought few men capable of; you fended off the mob.”

“I always find fighting a mob with a mob to be the best course of action, ‘specially when one fo the mobs is fighting for its home and its women. Isn’t that right boys?” Robert received varying cheers and affirmations from the motley crew that surrounding the two men.

“But… whilst I respect you for your tenacity, and am frankly stunned by your success thus far-“
“Many thanks, your Grace.”

“-… I fear this is a battle you cannot win.”

“Aye your Grace; we’re outnumbered and outgunned, but we have one thing they don’t have; courage. Those men, those, Phrygians and Guards and whatever else the bastards want to call themselves, there may be a lot of them, and they may think they talk a fancy talk about fighting, but when it comes to it, all they’re interested in is rapin’ women and robbin’ homes, not fightin’ for what they believe in; they’ve not takin’ us, ‘cos we weren’t an easy fight; and that’s ‘cos we have a cause we’re willin’ to die for; our homes, our families, and ourselves. Your Grace, when you declared for the King, despite knowin’ full well you’d be in the vipers nest, surrounded by those men who want to see any loyalist to the Crown dead, why did you do it?”

“Because it was my duty.”

“DUTY! Did you hear that boys? We have a nobleman who believes that it’s his duty to follow the King!” several of the men laughed, though Paul took note that many of them grimaced. “Your Grace, with all due respect, you didn’t choose to fight for the King because he gave ya’ an office; you fought because believed in your cause, because at heart, you’re just like us, and you want to live in a world’s that’s best for your kin. You know, as well as I do, that any man loyal to the King, is apt to be beheaded or shot, and you know that a nobleman who just remains silent about the Republic is almost certainly a dead man. You threw your lot in with what you knew would keep your family in their cushy castle in… wherever it is you live-“

“Rouen, your Excellency” Paul interrupted with a sly smirk.

“- Rouen, and you stuck through; now, I may be wrong, and you could be the one man in a million who actually values his honour above his livelihood and hisself, but I highly doubt that.”

“You’re a clever man, Robert, and you’re more than capable of reading men; but to discuss my motives for standing with the King are not why I came here to speak with you.”

“Aye, you didn’t come here to speak with me; you didn’t know who you’d be speakin’ to.”

“Ah, it seems you’re mistaken, as I knew who I was going to speak with; now certainly the particulars of that person were not known to me, nor their name or their station, but I knew I would be speaking to a leader, a man capable of brining his fellow Man together for a cause-“

“Bringin’ his fellow Man together for a cause? I got up on that barrel over there, after pulling some damned cowardly fool of some poor woman, and asked if we were gonna let these bastards get away with it! I’m no great leader, your Grace.”

“As you say so, Robert.”

“Now, what were you gonna ask me, your Grace?”

“To stand down.”

The street grew deathly quiet, and many a man and woman looked at Paul with a mixture of fear and hate.

“Why would we ever do that, your Grace?”

“Because this is a fight you cannot win, and it would be best to treat with the revolutionaries and come to some agreement; you’ve made your point, and they’ll be fearful of incurring your wrath, but if you try to fight them any longer, you’ll be outnumbered by experienced troops, and no matter how great your barricades, or how firm your resolve, you will be beaten… I cannot stand idly by and let so many brave men die fighting a battle that could have been avoided.”

Robert, for once, was quiet; he thought for a moment, many times almost opening his mouth before quickly heading back into thought; Paul waiting for his reply, but it never came; instead, Robert walked off, and slowly the bustle of life and war returned to the street; the Baron looked at the elderly man, who merely said “He likes to thing on things, your Gra-your Excellency.”

Paul, reluctantly, nodded, and asked if he would come back to speak to him, to which the balding man shrugged in reply; knowing that the longer he stayed out, the greater risk he was in, he bade the Peletiers farewell, and quietly returned to Parent’s home; he returned to his room and had only begun reading some of his letters from the day before when the servant came in, with a letter from the new First Minister.

Assemblymen, People of France,

To you I present the First Revolutionary Cabinet, for the people, answerable to the people. We find ourselves in a divided France, and many in Paris have seen fit to take up arms to press their agenda. I say to them: Don't. For it is this Cabinet that will ensure fair elections, and a democratic solution to the troubles at large. Together, we can make a difference, and it is our blessing that we need no longer fight to do so. Ladies and gentlemen; the Cabinet.

Regent: His Highness Louis Philippe, Duke of Orléans ((Spectre17))
First Minister: Renaud de Cartelège ((Gen. Marshall)) Cordelier
Lord Chancellor: Pierre Le Goff ((Noco19)) Templar
Controller-General of Finances: Antoine Durand ((EmperorGrimm)) Phrygian
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs: Henri de la Costa Leroux ((Terraferma)) Social
Secretary of State for War: Jacques Nazaire Aulard ((Maxwell500)) Cordelier
Secretary of State of the Navy: André Bouchard ((viola)) Jacobin
Lieutenant-General of Police: Vincent Parént ((Dadarian)) Templar
Archbishop of Paris: Adolphe Beauchene ((czechmasaryk)) in absentia

It is my sincere hope that this varied and capable government will be able to unify France, holding the values of liberty and equality high.

- First Minister Renaud de Cartelège

8-14 October
We Are All Struggling Together

95083ff0-2ce1-4716-a8b3-6013249795a0.jpg
616cd64d-cc09-4d91-b98b-19158aec8f00.jpg
1b70ebd6-02fd-4f82-b944-176a133f49db.jpg
ad27676e-e436-4c4a-98f8-ad2bc6a5d0b8.jpg
14ada9aa-dba7-4087-83b3-4ad183369de8.jpg

It is the perennial irony of history that great men so often fall to the forces that they themselves unleashed. Louis XVI was undone by the very Estates General he convened to solve France's woes; Bailly and Lafayette were denigrated and deposed by the people they claimed to champion; the Feuillants were betrayed by the their own ministry. Perhaps it was with an eye to history that Vincent Parént sought to demobilise the popular power he had brought to bear against the royalists. Perhaps it was simple human decency; he had not intended the mob to annihilate the Feuillants, his former friends and colleagues. Even the utter destruction of the Monarchicals - more complete than anyone could have foreseen - was said to have disturbed him. Pragmatically, the fracturing of the revolutionary coalition was a mounting concern to the man who was, above all else, an advocate of order. Just as the Temple witnessed a procession of royalists being lead to the guillotine (including the poor Cardinal Jean, guilty of nothing but his attire), Parént was equally eager to see the back of the rebels. The divergence of the revolutionary camp in the absence of their common foe proved particularly distressing. "We had this Revolution to unite the nation, not tear it apart," he complained to an aide. If unity was the absence of opposition, it had certainly achieved that.

But Parént had harnessed the mob; he did not command it. Its conscience belonged to André Bouchard and Renauld de Cartelège. Happy to see a republican ministry, they told their followers to go home. The mob mostly complied - but the Jacobins and the Cordeliers were no longer the only game in town. The Durandists had blossomed over the course of the violence into a full-fledged movement; the Phrygian Guard had grown to almost five hundred men and commanded even more sympathisers. Antoine Durand and his acolytes essentially controlled the Île Saint-Louis, once the home of the metropolitan elite. But the Phrygians could no longer be dismissed as a mere street gang; their strength was underpinned by an intellectual vision of the New France, more comprehensive than anything offered by their rivals. Flushed with success, Durand - who now took to aggrandising himself as the Paladin of Liberty - even tendered an invitation to the female suffragist Marie Pontbriand, thus embracing a cause that most of the radicals had shunned. And he was not the only beneficiary of Parént's coup; Javert Valjean, rather than comply with the order to disperse, instead corralled his partisans into the Carabinier Guard - dedicated to preserving the Revolution "in permanent anticipation of betrayal and treachery". The Vigilants, as they became known, received the blessing of Le Préfet himself, who regarded them as a useful buttress to the fledging Revolutionary Government.

dca5b91a-47d7-4bc8-b785-0d37391d0b34.jpg

On the other side of the spectrum, the Duc d'Orléans (who, pandering to the passions of the mob, took to styling himself as 'Philippe Egalité') viewed this fracturing of the republican camp with apprehension. He had already been powerless - or unwilling, as his critics charged - to stop the massacres of 7 October. Apparently regretful of his collusion with the rebels, Orléans now urged for the restoration of tranquillity in the capital. He even threatened to tighten his grip on the dissenting National Guard if the Government did not take measures to suppress the active insurgents. Cartelège promised to do so, and Orléans relinquished the Guard. Perhaps it was at the latter's prodding that the Government suddenly took a hard stance towards the nonconformists of Le Peletier after Parént himself had advised indulgence. The Assembly issued a decree demanding that they dismantle their barricades and return to their homes. When the CMRP offered no response, the First Minister ordered the Army of the Rhine to march on Paris. Even as they took up formations around the city, it was only the intercession of the King's Private Secretary, Francisque de St Denis-Paternoster, that finally convinced the Peletiers to lay down their arms – although some claimed that the Baron d'Harfleur, rarely seen outside the Temple, had also had a hand in it. In return, the monarchist dissenters were spared the fate of their imprisoned compatriots. Had they held on, however, they would have found themselves with unexpected reinforcements.

cc20b20a-9d32-44cf-8575-5feccd6f1537.jpg

For in seeking to destroy one enemy, Cartelège had left the country vulnerable to another. The Comte de Nogaret-Lefebvre, after travelling day and night under constant threat of recognition, finally reached the Electorate of Trier – home to the Comte de Provence's court-in-exile. He found his fellow émigrés in a flurry of enthusiasm. When news of the attempt on the King’s life had reached Coblenz, Provence and Artois had petitioned the Emperor Leopold II to honour his promises in the Declaration of Pillnitz. Now that Louis XVI had been overthrown entirely, the reluctant Leopold – who had pawned the French nobles off with his support to keep them quiet – had no choice but to humble Revolutionary France. He cared not a jot for the princes or his old enemy; Austrian credibility was at stake, as was the peace of his realms bordering France and the life of his sister, Marie Antoinette. So it was that, on 14 October, France found itself at war with the Holy Roman Empire - including Prussia, which deferred its ancestral rivalry with the Habsburgs to make common cause against the revolutionists. France had only 20,000 men assigned to its eastern front, over half of which were miles away intimidating Paris. By comparison, Prussia alone was expected to mobilise a force of 60,000. The gates to Paris were thrust wide open to the Germanic hordes.

Naturally, this declaration was received with horror across the country. The cities panicked and called up the provincial National Guards; the people demanded the resignation of magistrates with royalist sympathies. This wave of recrimination spread across France until it seemed that far from restoring the fortunes of the royalists, the war had put an end to them. But some areas remained calm, and were far more dangerous for it; the royalist bastions of Bretagne and Lorraine merely shrugged off the last chains of central authority in expectation of the revolution's imminent demise. In Montmédy, the destination of Louis Auguste's famous flight, the local populace rejoiced at his impending restoration. Their hopes were fanned by the Council of Coblenz, which declared that King Louis XVI had been unlawfully deposed and that the Comte de Provence now exercised the regency on behalf of his infant son.

f93e0c45-865a-4580-bdae-6dc44312dd45.jpg

If the royalists were united in purpose, the revolutionary front was far from unity. After days of negotiation, Cartelège finally managed to cobble together a cabinet only by including every possible strand of revolutionary discourse. This 'Ministry of All Traitors' (as the wags would have it) brought together Templars, Cordeliers, Jacobins - even the Phrygians, following their transformation into a respectable party, and the hitherto silent Socials - under the regency of Orléans. That didn't stop mutual recriminations from within this "Cohabitation" ministry; Orléans sneered at the republican militias whose leaders had joined him in government. For their part, the revolutionaries were beginning to suspect the Duke's good intentions; he had picked as his seat the Chateau de Saint Cloud, far away from the city centre, and his men had transferred the armaments plundered from the École Militaire to the Palais-Royal, which had been opened to the public in a naked attempt to foster popularity. Orléans had even founded his own movement, the Alliance of Compatriots, unlike the clubs of Paris – which had initially been mere forums for discussion – openly intended as not only a political party but a national one, with the Duke promising to establish a branch in every city. The support of Ferdinand Ignace, a conservative journalist, did not stop the Alliance from being deridingly referred to as the 'Advancement of Orléans'. Not all criticism was based on accusations of egotism, however; the ever-vigilant Valjean cautioned the Duke against allowing his organisation to become "a front and hideout for monarchists and their sympathizers".

And then there was that issue, already pressing before the notification of war and now absolutely essential: the security of Paris against internal subversion. If Valjean was wary of the Alliance, he was positively scathing of the new Union for a Popular Movement, which he condemned as "rotten" and "counter-revolutionary" owing to its foundation by the King's secretary and its coded support for the Monarchy. He was equally critical of Ignace, and called for "measures to correct" this purveyor of "disgusting lies". He was not alone in questioning the loyalty of the conservative classes; there was still popular demand for the arrest of Harfleur, for his nobility, his faction and his attempt to bring the Army to bear against the capital. Adolphe Beauchene had been released from detainment and restored as the Archbishop of Paris, but he was still tainted in the eyes of the people as a Papist and a former Feuillant and was unable to deliver the Mass at Notre Dame. His fellow former minister, Francois Richard, was not so lucky; he was quickly beheaded along with the rest of the Monarchicals, deprived even of the trial he so ardently demanded. With the Peletiers still restless, and the armies of tyranny on France's doorstep, perhaps similar measures were required for those recalcitrant few...

-------------------------
Player Actions Needed:

France is at war with German- er, the Holy Roman Empire.

The Government must make preparations for the defence of France. The Controller-General must urgently introduce a budget before the State goes bankrupt. The War Secretary may assign commanders, raise troops and direct the generals. The Naval Secretary may do the same for the fleet. The Lieutenant-General and the Lord Chancellor must look to the order of Paris and France against internal subversion. The Foreign Secretary must try to salvage France's international situation.

The fate of the émigrés, their families and their properties within France must be decided.

Remember that you will need to pass laws to deal with the émigrés or any other issue. Any one may introduce a bill.

All orders are due by Wednesday.

Last edited:
A letter to His Excellency, M. Jacques Nazaire Aulard, Secretary of State for War

Dear Sir,

I write in regards to the declaration of war from the Holy Roman Empire which we received in the past days. I am aware that our military situation is not the greatest, and therefore feel obliged to offer my services and therefore humbly request a commission. I am currently studying at l'École Militaire, though have agreed to an arrangement with my tutors whereby I will be able to resume my studies once the war is over should I receive a position. I have served previously as a second-lieutenant with the 5th Hussars, and then during the Revolution as lieutenant-colonel in the Marseillais militia. Should you take this matter into consideration, I would be most grateful.

I am your most humble servant,

Boniface Sainte-Dévote

I thank the First Minister, Renaud de Cartelège, for his trust and I assure him that the Navy will be ready to defend France against both the slave armies of the Germanic tyrants and the few Monarchists left in France! I will present him my orders in the next hours.

Furthermore I heard of someone talking about giving an amnesty to the Baron d’Harfleur: we certainly can't let free the same man that tried to have the army to march on Paris and destroy it! The Baron d’Harfleur was ready to kill us all and the People of Paris with us, the very idea to let this enemy of the People free is absurd. I say: Guillotine, or at the very least a fair popular trial!

On the matter of the émigrés we must show no mercy! Their property should be seized and they should all be condemned to death in absentia, we should also ensure that their families are not helping foreign spies. These traitors are plotting with the Germanic invaders, no mercy!

- André Bouchard, Secretary of State of the Navy

Name: Jacques "The Red" Baudouin
Date of Birth: 23 August, 1754
Estate: Third
Religion: Agnostic Catholic
Culture: Parisian
Biography: The son of a blacksmith in Paris, Jacques had ambitions, he knew the slums of Paris and wanted to put an end to these conditions, while not a supporter of the revolutionary violence, he saw this as his chance to change Paris and France for the better.

Monsieur Claircir,

You have my thanks for the swift and meticulous report delivered unto my person. Truly, with the chaos experienced here, it is heartening to see the continuance of duty as evidenced in your findings and investigations. The amount of devastation forced upon Paris is a sad affair, and as you say, we shall not have the luxury of exacting Justice in the proper manners. It is my hope that Order is restored soon, as to ensure the return of the appropriate regulation of certain malcontents. Until then, the Grand Châtelet must make due as the center for Righteousness.

- Lord Chancellor Per Le Goff

With the Germanic Declaration of the Holy Roman Empire, we French face an Evil Force, one that would impose its Will upon a vulnerable France. But hope is not dashed, nay. While we Quarrel amongst ourselves as fellow Frenchmen, it is our Duty to our Land and People that we set aside such squabbles until we no longer face foreign aggression.

We Revolutionaries face the dissolution of our Successes, the reforms enacted to ensure the well being of the French Masses. Should the Germanic armies march through the streets of Paris, their way will be paved with blood of the working class Frenchmen, built upon the graves of Democracy and Equality. Shall we cast ourselves into the Abyss, rend ourselves asunder for the gain of an autocratic Emperor?

Those Monarchists and Counter-Revolutionaries who still exist within France, you too face lose. When the Germanic horde send Fire and Steel into our Lands, their shots will not know between Class, between Politics, between Ideals. Blood will spill, and it will all be crimson and French. Let not the fields of France burn out of spite for the Revolution, nor for any pretense of improvement, only Suffering will follow.

Thus, it is the duty of all Frenchmen to embrace Brotherhood and Camaraderie in lieu of Schism. The first step towards Victory is Order. We cannot win as rabble, huddled masses who fight within the streets. Our aggressors have not the diplomacy of our Sovereign, nor of our Honorable leaders of the Revolution; They choose to Engage where one of civilized, French mind would Speak. Paris is a divided body, like a pair of hands fumbling against one another. This is unaccpetable, for we must be deft where our opponent is lurching, concise where our opponent is brutish, and above all, together where our opponent frays.

Should the Doctrine of Cooperation prevail, then so too will France prevail.

- Lord Chancellor Per Le Goff, Fellow Brother of France

Vive la France!
Vive la Fraternité

In light of the invasion of France by foreign powers intent on annexing French territory I would like to request a position of command in the French Army from the Minister of War. It is my belief that France must be united to defend itself and having non-government controlled armed groups behind our lines is not conducive to unity, as such I would call upon the Carabiniers and Phyrigian Guards to disarm and return public buildings to the control of the government.

~Louis Philippe Egalité, Duke of Orléans

OOC: The Palais-Royal was made into a public entertainment and shopping complex in 1784 so it isn't really a new development. Only the part facing the Rue St Honoré is still the private residence of the Duke.

Speech given to the Club de Phrygian

Citizens of France! Fighters for Liberty and Justice! We have all gathered here to discuss the future of our nation. A future that is quite uncertain; one might even say bleak. Although, our future is uncertain, this club has the power to cultivate a path of liberty and freedom for a new France. A France where women are considered equals to men, slavery no longer exists and all French peoples from Marseilles to Dunkirk can live without fear of oppression and violence. The Club de Phrygian has the power to forge a France that no longer is unjust or centralizes all the power in Paris. It can create a better place for our children to live and feel free!

Women have, for thousands of years, been deemed as second-class citizens to men. That, the female sex is subordinate to the male sex. But, as the Enlightenment has shone on France many intellectuals begin to realize we are both equally human! Women are just as intelligent, hard working and brave as their male counterparts. Women should be able to be represented in the National Assembly, as well as other local political assemblies across the nation. The female sex should be considered equal to men under French Law and we need to end the clauses which state "the wife is authorized by her husband," as both sexes should be equal in a household. The female sex has a right to port breeches and express their political beliefs. We, humans of both sexes, must fight for equality of women and the reversal of thousands of years of unjust laws. If the Club de Phrygian preaches liberty, then the club must fight to end the oppression of the female sex and start France on a path to continued Enlightenment!

Along with feminine oppression, we have for hundreds of years been oppressing the black natives of Africa and the West Indies. The French nation has been responsible for the torture, death and maltreatment of blacks since their discovery. We have been an active participant in the slave trade and have been active supporters of this inhumane practice. It is time, with the birth of a new France to abolish the practice of slavery in our far flung territories and end our support of slavery as well. Our people want justice for all, but we continually ignore the blacks in our territorial possessions, who are mercilessly oppressed everyday. The time has come for the French people to wake up and the government to realize that slavery should be abolished!

Peace is what our nation begs for. The people of France pray to our Our Lord to bring peace to us again. Mobs of vigilantes run rampant, the tyrannical German states have declared war and our government is far from stable. That is why, it is my belief that the Club de Phrygian, needs to preach peace to its followers and bring liberty to France without violence. Killing is never the answer to our problems, and will only lead to the destruction of our country. We must band together to beat back the German pigs and continue to work peacefully in Paris to bring justice to France. With the government appointing the club's leader, Antoine Durand to the important position of finance in the Cabinet. He can work, while in the government to free the French people and bring hope back to the Republic.

As members of the Club de Phrygian you can mold this nation into a place of equality, justice, freedom and liberty! You can bring peace, end the oppression of women, abolish slavery and work to transition France into a functioning democracy! This club and its followers can change France! This club will change France! Together, the future of this country is bright! Onward to Liberty!

Marie Caroline Sophie Pontbriand,
La Société Fraternelle des Patriotes de l'un et l'autre sexe

Last edited:
RESOLUTION OF THE KING'S COUNCIL OF STATE

Therefore, the honourable lords assembled did resolve:

That the instrument of abdication adopted by His Most Christian Majesty, the King of France, was unlawfully obtained by coercion and intimidation of his royal personage;
That the King is prohibited from exercising regal duties owing to his unlawful detention;
That the Kingdom therefore requires a regent in his stead;
That the regent shall be His Royal Highness, the Dauphin of France and Prince of the Blood;
That the minority of the Dauphin being acknowledged, his rightful powers and prerogatives shall be exercised vicariously by the Count of Provence, next in seniority in the law of succession;
That upon the King being liberated from his present condition, he shall immediately be restored to his power;
That all who compelled the fraudulent abdication of the King and continue to obstruct the rightful renewal of his authority shall be condemned as traitors to His Most Christian Majesty and the Kingdom;
That all those who assist in the liberation of the King and the progress of his soldiers through France and those of his allied majesties shall be rewarded for their patriotism to the King and to the Kingdom.

This instrument having been seen and examined in council, we approve, assent to, and confirm it, and promise and swear, on the sign of the cross, to execute and implement it:

Louis Stanislas Xavier, Count of Provence
Charles Philippe, Count of Artois
Louis Joseph, Prince of Condé

Given in the very noble city of Coblence on the eleventh day of the tenth month in the year of the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, 1791.​

DECLARATION OF HIS MAJESTY THE EMPEROR.

His Majesty the Emperor, having previously given utterance to his common interest, and that of all the sovereigns of Europe, to the welfare and the situation of the King of France, in the declaration given at the city of Pillnitz in the Summer of this year, declares that the provocations and proceedings of the French nation have become intolerable and resolves to put an end to them. The French nation having rejected his just and moderate demands, and imperilled the monarchical form of government that is the insurance of their tranquillity, rights and welfare, he has been compelled to grasp the sword in defence of the honour of the King of France, the protection of his dignity and the security of his possessions. He shall issue such orders to his soldiers as are necessary to achieve these stated aims.

LEOPOLD II.

PRESSBURG, October 12, 1791.

Friends, patriots, countrymen! The forces of conservatism are all around us in many forms. At home we face the UMP and L'Alliance des Compatriotes. Both threatening to the republic they wish to return all power to the monarch! This simply can not be allowed to happen. We must destroy these organizations which wish to see the end of the republic and will do everything within their power to undermine us at home. And now the revolution faces the greatest threat in its existence. The forces of reaction in the form of Prussia and Austria have declared war! My compatriots we must all take up arms and prepare to serve our country to the death if need be. Each and every one of us must do our duties when the time comes no matter what the reprisal may be. On the fate of the émigrés they have left France deserted it. These men are fat cowards who have never done any thing for France. They only seek to harm her. They are the ones to blame for this war. It is because of this that all émigrés captured should be shot on site. Their families imprisoned their assets seized. No honorable man would leave France in her hour of need.

Vive la France!

Vive la Revolution!

-Charles-Pierre-François Augereau

The Tuileries,
Paris, the Kingdom of France

"Qui est la troisième personne de la Trinité?"

"Euh... Jésus?"

"Non!"

His Majesty Louis-Charles cried out in pain as a wooden rod was rapped across his knuckles by a very tired Francisque. As tears began to well in the eyes of the little king his Secretary let out a sigh.

"Your Majesty, the third person of the Trinity is the Holy Spirit, not Our Lord. If you do not get it right eventually, you will not be allowed to receive Communion with your father."

"Oui, monsieur. Je m'excuse monsieur."

Francisque began to reply, but was interrupted by the entrance of Agathe de Rambaud. Before she herself could announce that supper was about to be served the child let out a cry of joy at the sight of his beloved nurse.

"Agathe!"

Agathe laughed and swept Louis-Charles up in her arms, holding him tight. She nodded towards Francisque and he nodded to a letter sitting on a desk; indicating that he'd be there when he had finished reading. Pouting but otherwise compliant, she left. The letter was from the Prince of Condé and begged for Francisque's defection "for the protection of King Louis XVI and the Dauphin." In all probability, the Austrians would probably pull it out of the bag and then he would, in all probability, either be executed for his crimes against His Most Christian Majesty Louis XVI or be allowed to slink into quiet obscurity. Choices, choices...

"Vivre en preux, y mourir."

148px-Coat_of_Arms_of_France.svg.png
I wish, on the behalf of His Most Christian Majesty Louis-Charles, King of the French; to personally disavow the actions of His Majesty's uncles the Counts of Provence and Artois. His Majesty stands with the Constitution of 7 October and calls upon the French people to resist the foreign incursion.

Francisque de St Denis-Paternoster,
Royal Secretary to His Majesty the King of the French

The Conciergerie,
The Kingdom of France

Louis-Auguste wept.