• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
“Carabinier Guard”

Initiatives like these are a good thing, and the Carabinier Vigilant Guard has my full support. Recent events have shown that government forces cannot always be relied on, but an organized neighbourhood watch in close cooperation with the government will be able to keep order far more efficiently than loathed elitist brigades. If any wish to join the Carabiniers, they have my blessing. If the Phrygian Guard manages to organize themselves and transform into a defensive unit, I shall treat them likewise. New units are also welcome, but their formation should be run by the government from now on.

In other news, the formation of government is reaching its conclusion. I have recieved many requests, and although I cannot fulfil them all, I will do my utmost best to present a varied Cabinet. At that time, I will also provide a more in-depth response to rogue elements in Paris.

- First Minister Renaud de Cartelège

art_nouveau_stylised_rose_round_stickers-rbf00b913e9404e1598d2563b4df1c406_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

Creation of the Revolutionary Ribbon
Le Société de Messieurs Français / The Society of French Gentlemen
Dieu, Patrie, Courage / God, Country, Courage

On behalf of all those within Le Société who fought and died during the October Revolution, I, Vincent Parént, do hereby create the Revolutionary Ribbon. All those currently within Le Société are awarded the Revolutionary Ribbon. Those awarded with the ribbon are allowed the to be part of the Templar Honour Guard during any and all official celebrations.

4485934-117682-metal-medal-with-tricolor-ribbon.jpg

The circle represents the entirety of France, and the views of the Revolution while the olive branches represent the Peace we hope to instill in all France through an acceptance of all mankind.

Last edited:
REPORT ON THE DISTURBANCES IN

THE CITY OF PARIS

TO HIS EXCELLENCY,

MONSIEUR PIERRE LE GOFF;

LORD CHANCELLOR OF FRANCE,

BY AN OFFICER OF

THE NATIONAL GENDARMERIE

Monsieur Chancellor,

In this past night, the dissenters and their allies have endeavoured to raise a Disturbance throughout the whole City; the aggressors have expressed their resentment towards the lawful authority in every culpable way. Over the course of this torrid night, the malcontent have wreaked every possible form of havoc towards the good order of the City and the welfare of its people. I regret to inform you, Monsieur, that the authors of these transgressions, being too great in number, and undoubtedly shielded by their confederates, are unlikely to ever be brought to the courts.

At the end of the night, the public force was able to recover six hundred dead of every rank, though there are perhaps many more who had perished in the river and thereby been swept away. Of these lost souls, the majority were gentleman; judging from their finery, we ascertain their number to be three-hundred and sixty. The remainder are of diverse provenance, the greater number - over two hundred, forbearing exactness - being delegates of the Legislative Assembly who had been taken from that place and struck down by the dissenters. There was also a notable disposition of priests, clerics and ecclesiastics, nearing perhaps one hundred.

Relegating this loss of life, there is also the immense damage inflicted to properties both public and private by the marauders: we estimate this to be in the range of six-hundred thousand livres. And then there are the properties unrightfully garrisoned by the dissenters or other individuals. Of the public places, this being Notre Dame de Paris, the Palais de Justice and the associated Conciergerie on the Île de la Cité, and the Tour du Temple; and of the private, the Hôtel Lambert, on the Île Saint-Louis, being most prominent.

I further note that, owing to the hostility exhibited towards the Public Force by the dissenters who have seized the Palais de Justice and the public gaols, we have must recourse to using the Grand Châtelet, that being abandoned since the dismissal of the Provost of Paris. Until such a time as order has been restored on the Île de la Cité, we shall be restricted in our duties to this place.

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and faithful servant,​

É. Claircir

10JeanJosephVaudechampFrench-bornNewOrleansartist1790E280931866WomanwithFurCollar_zps675a21de.jpg

Name: Marie Caroline Sophie Pontbriand
Date of Birth: 19th of May, 1764
Place of Birth: Grenoble
Religion: Roman Catholic
Biography: Marie Sophie Pontbriand was eldest child of the prévôt of the town of Grenoble, she was raised in a liberal moyenne bourgeoisie family. Marie Sophie was educated by a tutor which saw her excel in literature, history and religion. After finishing her education at home, Sophie became deeply involved in the rights of women movement, abolitionism and republicanism. Sophie took an active part in the "Day of the Tiles" and a year later, moved to Paris to join in on Women's Petition to the National Assembly. Marie became a member of La Société Fraternelle des Patriotes de l'un et l'autre sexe (Fraternal Society of Patriots of Both Sexes), and soon become one of the leading female political activists in the club. The Parisian royalist press soon began to print inflammatory stories about Marie, deeming her "the people's whore." She remains an active member in the women's rights movement and believes in a federalist state and the abolishment of slavery.

Last edited:
With the formation of a new government, I hereby, on behalf of the Fraternal Society of Patriots of Both Sexes and all French citizens present this petition to be made law:

If the National Government wishes to reform thousands of years of injustice and universal abuses, then the current decree must be passed to ensure equality throughout France.

I. The Abolishment of All Male Privileges throughout France.
II. Equal liberty, advantages, rights, and honours between sexes.
III. Equal nobleness between the genders and sexes including grammatically.
IV. The end of clauses stating "the wife is authorized by her husband" because there should be equality within the household.
V. Right for all to wear breeches.
VI. End of degrading soldiers by having them wear women's clothing.
VII. Admittance of the feminine sex to the district and departmental assemblies and "elevated to municipal responsibilities and even as deputies to the National Assembly." As, the consultative and deliberative voices of women.
VIII. Appointment of the feminine sex as Magistrates.
IX. The same applies to all positions, compensations, and military dignities.

Marie Caroline Sophie Pontbriand,
La Société Fraternelle des Patriotes de l'un et l'autre sexe

I, Louis-Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans, hereby announce the creation of a new National Guard, a force that will recruit any and all Parisians who swear loyalty to it and it's commander. The goal of this force will be to ensure continued peace in the city of Paris and to ensure the events of the last few days may never happen again. Due to the effective destruction of the National Guard during the recent events I hereby announce that the 6,000 National Guardsmen in my service will form the core of this new force. I would also like to announce my interest in serving as Minister of War in the Interim government, my loyalty to both France and the Revolution is, as shown by my actions during the newest Revolution, second to none and I will serve France to the best of my abilities.

~Louis-Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans

((Spectre, as Regent I don't believe you're constitutionally allowed to serve in a ministerial capacity.))

Antoine Durand sends a letter to Marie Caroline Sophie Pontbrian

"Club de Phrygian invites you to a meeting of its leadership in order to discuss the advancement of women causes and suffrage as soon as possible. Indeed it is of the utmost importance that the concerns of French women be included in the policy and philosophical discussions in the new era of Liberty, Republic, and Virtue."

A letter is sent to the First Minister

"The Phrygian Guard shall serve the new government loyally with the virtue and strength that propelled the Romans to victory against the Carthaginians. I request that the Phrygians be allowed to make Ile St Louis and the Hotel Lambert its permanent headquarters and in doing so the Club de Phrygians pledge to coordinate with the police and government in establishing civil order and effective administration of the island as much as is required of the Guard. In these times where the Throne of Liberty faces enemies from every corner of the world we must remember the ancient Roman proverb, "Audentes fortuna iuuat"..Fortune Favors the Bold and we must be bold with asserting the right of all human beings to govern themselves through the ideals of Enlightenment. May fortune spring forth in abundance in your future, Monsieur."

Antoine Durand sends a letter to Marie Caroline Sophie Pontbriand

A letter penned to Antoine Durand, in response to his invitation:

Chez Antoine Durand,

I humbly accept your invitation to meet with the leaders of the Club de Phrygian, to speak on the issues of women's issues, slavery and the future of France. It pleased me to learn that your club is interested in the advancement of women in the Republic and wanted me to speak about these issues at your club's meeting.

Merci,

Marie Caroline Sophie Pontbriand,
La Société Fraternelle des Patriotes de l'un et l'autre sexe

Vincent watched stonefaced as Cardinal Hugues Jean walked onto the platform. He had been offered the lever but politely declined, he could not in good faith kill a man of the clothe. It was an obligation to him, every execution must be overseen, as it was his doing that these men were doomed to die. Not that he cared for these men, but the idea that these men were purged for their beliefs made him cringe. At least he didn't seem as white as Paul-Aurélien. He felt bad for the man, who was forced to stay with him in order to protect his person. This wasn't the first execution he was forced to watch, nor the last. He wondered how he was handling it. He looked over to one of his close lieutenants in Le Société.

"Have you heard about Citizen Egalité's new militia? Looks like Good Duc Louis is not the man many thought he was."

His lieutenant nodded, Vincent barely registered Jean being given his last rites.

"Yes, yet another banded of armed men working for a single man. It seems every club has one these day."

Vincent watched idly as Jean was put in the guillotine.

"He calls it the National Guard, yet doesn't even require it to be loyal to the nation, but "it and it's commander". This is getting ridiculous."

Vincent ritually nodded to the Executioner, who pulled the lever. He heard the gasps of the crowd and turned to his lieutenant fully as Hughes' head rolled.

"This militarisation has got to end. We had this Revolution to unite the nation, not tear it apart. I will have a brisk discussion with the Cords and Jacobins. We cannot factionalise now that we have just won."

The lieutenant spoke his mind, one of the reasons that Vincent kept him close.

"Should we keep the Revolutionary Guard? We need to defend ourselves and our voters, I'm sure our contacts in the military will gladly sign up for it."

Vincent shook his head.

"No, we will lead by example. Hopefully the Revolutionary Guard and this *cough* "National Guard" can reunite into a real National Guard and we can get on to more important issues. Like keeping this new nation afloat.

Vincent nodded at the lieutenant and he left, leaving Vincent and St Sebastien to walk home. Hopefully He will see the light of the tunnel soon.

La Phrygian - Issue Two

Gros_Figure_allegorique_de_la_Republique.jpg

Thoughts On A Republic Of Virtue

And

The Means In Which We May Obtain It

By Antoine Durand "Paladin de la liberté"

Greetings Citizens of the Fatherland! Club de Phrygian would like to first send invitations to local leaders of business, of politics, to the women of our people whose concerns have been largely ignored since the beginning of the Revolution, to the poor and rich, to those of aristocratic blood who have renounced their titles and decided to join the ranks of the French citizenry, to all those concerned with Republic and Liberty to a meeting of the Club de Phrygian. Transportation, food, and water shall be provided for free for all those who cannot afford such basic necessities and for the well off your fee shall be maintained at the regular rate of twenty francs!

The topic of discussion is on the future of the Republic and specifically what kind of Republic that we seek. All voices shall be heard for an allotted time of fifteen minutes with extensions granted by majority vote. Furthermore we will be discussing the mean in which we shall obtain our freedom, taken from us at the dawn of civilization by tyrants immeasurable in evil.

Club de Phrygian would like to express its goals and vision in the below passage stating our political platform.

Domestic Policy

I. All French people regardless of gender, class, and position pass the age of twenty one shall be granted the Right to vote in all elections local and national.
II. Those who have committed crimes against the Revolution but who have seen the error of their actions and renounced all titles and claims of nobility or any position of influence and power not provided by a vote by the French people must be allowed to join the side of Liberty as a citizen of the Fatherland.
III. Taxation shall be set at an equal rate for all people as a percentage. Additional taxation must be approved by a legislative body elected by the people.
IV. Essential to a Republic Of Virtue is the collective contribution of its citizens toward the greater good of its elected government. Therefore Club de Phrygian wishes to institute a program of military training where all families must provide one adult male from the age of sixteen to twenty one to be trained as infantry in a Reserve element of the Army. Training shall not extend beyond a season and the Republic shall compensate the loss of labor with a member of the Civil Service. All conscripts shall be compensated at three fourths the rate of a regular soldier during their time in training.
V. A Civil Service must be formed to aid the pockets of society in great need for labor and talent. Civil Servants shall be compensated and provided preference in obtaining work in other sections of the government.
VI. In the era of Republic and Liberty the people long kept ignorant must be taught to read, write, and count. They must have access to great libraries containing the works of ancient and modern philosophers, engineers, and fiction writers. Club de Phrygian proposes a national education project to assist in these endeavors.
VII. All religions shall be tolerated. All human beings desiring Liberty and Republic must be integrated into French society.
VIII. All citizens must have a trial of their peers and of government representatives. Imprisonment with hard labor is preferred to executions. Trials and arrests must be made public to all to see on a daily basis.

((I might have more later))

Foreign Policy and the Empire

I. The Revolution must be brought to the various peoples of the world. All tyrants must fall. We shall not stop at this endeavor until all people are singing "Republic! Republic!" in their streets.
II. Its known now that our Republic is under threat from the decrepit tyrannies of Europe. Their slave armies will soon march toward our frontiers and perhaps even to Paris itself! We must not wage war until our military has been purged of traitorous elements and its ranks swelled with Patriots!
III. As brothers of Liberty we propose closer relations with the American Republic. We propose a sell of the Louisiana colony to that precious nation to bolster our own ability to defend ourselves, to improve the national finances, and to grow the strength of Liberty in the Americas.
IV. Slavery must be brought to an end. We propose the introduction of indentured servitude for freed slaves for a term no longer than ten years time so that we may adapt to the change in labor and economy that the old tyranny relied on for centuries.
V. We propose sending a delegation to the British Empire, to establish an alliance of mutual interests.

((Might have more later))

I, Louis-Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans, hereby announce the creation of a new National Guard, a force that will recruit any and all Parisians who swear loyalty to it and it's commander. The goal of this force will be to ensure continued peace in the city of Paris and to ensure the events of the last few days may never happen again. Due to the effective destruction of the National Guard during the recent events I hereby announce that the 6,000 National Guardsmen in my service will form the core of this new force. I would also like to announce my interest in serving as Minister of War in the Interim government, my loyalty to both France and the Revolution is, as shown by my actions during the newest Revolution, second to none and I will serve France to the best of my abilities.

~Louis-Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans

Duke d'Orléans,

The National Guard, I must stress, is a government force, funded, raised and equipped by the government. I realize that these men sided with you during the Revolution, but I cannot possibly allow them to remain in private hands. As long as this situation persists, and unless you prove yourself capable of integrity in command of government forces, I cannot possibly be appointing you to a Ministry.

Le Préfet

------

While we wait for potential government ministers to reply and/or prove their worth, and while I arrange the remainder of my Cabinet, there are significant issues to attend to. I'm talking about the Royalist insurrection in Northern Paris. We cannot tolerate an illegal and armed group of citizens fighting against the Revolution in our very capital, and therefore I make the following offer to them. Any Monarchist rebels have five days to surrender and be pardoned. If they refuse, the Army will mop up the remainder of their force, and those involved will be proscecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

In order to ensure a swift response by government forces, I will appoint an Interim Minister of War for as long as the Cabinet has not been formed; a man who I fully trust and who has proven his integrity while handling government forces. As Interim Minister of War, Jacques Nazaire Aulard will move a detachment of 15.000 troops from our Northern borders to Versailles as a tactical reserve. Let's hope their intervention shall not be needed.

- First Minister Renaud de Cartelège

gay-authors-list-of-famous-lgbt-writers-u1.jpg

Name: Henri De La Costa Leroux
Date of Birth: January 21st, 1765
Place of Birth: Toulouse
Culture: Catalan
Religion: Roman Catholic

Bio: The youngest of three sons, Henri family roots began in Spain with his father a successful merchant living in Barcelona. Eventually he would move to what would be known as the Midi-Pyrénées where he would eventually marry a younger woman from a relatively minor aristocratic family. After living for a time in Marseille where the couple would have their first two sons they would return back to Toulouse. Leroux would attend a local school proving to be a relatively gifted child and just as good as his father when it came to trade and commerce eventually leading him to attend, although briefly, the University of Salamanca followed by the Université de Paris all in the span of three years. During the revolution he was for the most part unaligned as it seemed particularly dangerous to throw in his allegiance to any one side, particularly those even remotely supporting the crown. He had fled the capital for most of the revolution but during his temporary exodus of the city he came across La Bouche de Fer, created by the radical Society of the Friends of Truth (or Social Club). Slowly but surely he would support their views occasionally writing points of discussion and consideration while bringing up questions for the club at large. By 1792 he would turn politician to give what aid he could to the new order of France.

((France during la Ancien Régime:

422px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

France after the Revolution:

[video=youtube;aTZYSzxZcvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZYSzxZcvA[/video]​

Vive la Revolution?))

Duke d'Orléans,

The National Guard, I must stress, is a government force, funded, raised and equipped by the government. I realize that these men sided with you during the Revolution, but I cannot possibly allow them to remain in private hands. As long as this situation persists, and unless you prove yourself capable of integrity in command of government forces, I cannot possibly be appointing you to a Ministry.

Le Préfet

Of course I understand the situation, yet the government was either unwilling or unable to defend Paris during the recent riots during which hundreds were killed and hundreds more injured as well as hundreds of thousands of livres worth of property damaged or destroyed. With the continued occupation of various public and private buildings by fully armed paramilitaries groups and unless the government requests that these groups stand down I do not feel Paris will be safe. As such I request that groups such as the "Carabiniers Guard" or the Phrygian Guard be ordered to stand down and disarm, I have no problem with these groups operating peacefully but fully armed non-government controlled groups in the center of Paris is not conducive to a secure city. I will of course allow all those National Guardsmen who wish to rejoin the government National Guard to do so.

~Louis Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans