• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would like to express my interest in serving as Secretary of State for War, owing to my military experience in the National Guard, my participation in those glorious achievements of 1789, and my ardent commitment to the Revolution and the new government. Under my direction the Military shall be purged of its latent Monarchical sympathies, and reforged as a truly national force, utilising the most modern of equipment and tactics, by which the sovereignty and territory of France may be protected, and the Revolution secured.

- Valérian Lémieux

King of the French: Louis XVII ((Ab Ovo))
((Actually, his regnal name is Louis-Charles, in the style of OTL Orleanist kings/pretenders. It was thought best not to indicate continuity with the troubled reign of his father.))

I would like to express my interest in serving as Secretary of State for War, owing to my military experience in the National Guard, my participation in those glorious achievements of 1789, and my ardent commitment to the Revolution and the new government. Under my direction the Military shall be purged of its latent Monarchical sympathies, and reforged as a truly national force, utilising the most modern of equipment and tactics, by which the sovereignty and territory of France may be protected, and the Revolution secured.

- Valérian Lémieux
Hear, hear!

I too wish to state my willingness to serve as Minister of War and put an end to the infiltration of Counter-Revolutionaries into the officer corps, the attempted march on Paris must not happen again! Should such a position be unavailable then I'm ready to serve as Minister of Police and ensure that the gains of the Revolution won't be menaced by new Monarchical conspirations.

- André Bouchard

The Coup, Part Two:
The Coronation of King Mob

Resilient.jpg

Nothing sharpened a man's senses quite like terror. In the opulence of the ancien régime, Louis XVI had been an indecisive ditherer, dependent on his ever-circulating clique of advisers and, in the end, easily outwitted by his enemies in the Estates-General. He desired above all to be loved by the people, and his opinions tergiversated based on this desire. But now, with the Monarchy in crisis, the Kingdom in danger and his family at peril, he accessed hitherto unknown reserves of determination. As soon as he realised that his Chancellor, Naval Secretary and Police Chief had all conspired against him, Louis dismissed them. The rebels snorted at this seemingly futile gesture, but the replacement Lord Chancellor, Francois Marie-Joseph Richard, proved to be an able defender of the beleaguered King, even if his desperate communiques were ignored in the chaotic countryside. To the very end, Richard stood in the Assembly, heartening the royalist deputies and hectoring the absent radicals, pausing only to be informed of a latest development or to dispatch a message. Far from a mere royal minion, Richard seemed to personally invest himself in the fate of the Kingdom, staying in Paris to uphold its defence long after many had abandoned it. Alas, his energetic resistance to the rebellion could not conjure up men for its suppression, and he would pay a grave price for his sincerity.

At the Government's headquarters in the Palais du Luxembourg, the mood was hesitantly hopeful. The uprising in Le Peletier proved that it still enjoyed some popularity; most of its supporters were simply too intimidated by the plebeian masses to present themselves. It had a small but dedicated force at its disposal, perhaps enough to hold Paris until the troops arrived (which, the Baron d'Harfleur conceded, was still three or five days). The First Minister, Édouard-Alexandre Blair, was at His Majesty's side, showing remarkable attachment to a country that was not his own. The defection of the remaining Guard could not have shaken his confidence; Louis had always detested the Duc d'Orléans before the revolution and had pegged him as a potential usurper ever since, so the latter's decision to commit himself to the rebels must have come as no surprise. In the end, the royalist resistance succumbed to what had made the revolution possible in the first place: Louis' love of the people. He refused to build a throne on the bones of the masses; he would not drench himself in his subjects' blood just to maintain power. If the revolutionaries would drown Paris just to get to the King, then the King must surrender. After begrudging correspondence with his cousin in the Palais-Royal, the decision was made. Louis XVI would abdicate - the first king of the Bourbon branch to do so.

In the presence of his troubled ministers, Louis signed the document by which he would cede the throne to his heir, Charles-Louis. The Duc d'Orléans would serve as his regent, as the Constitution allocated. His last acts as King of the French had been to dismiss the entire government save for the rebel Pierre Le Goff, and to appoint Renaud de Cartelège, the Cordelier rabble-rouser, as First Minister of France. This astonishing appointment was necessary to placate the mob, answerable to no one but at least sympathetic to the pleas of their Cordelier and Jacobin agitators. Despite their republican postures, Cartelège and Vincent Parént accepted the agreement by which France would remain a monarchy (albeit in name only); their own cause had been shaken by the mutinous National Guard. Both sides were eager to compromise. But this hardly appeared to be a compromise to the revolutionaries, who paraded the abdication - the "terms of victory", as Cartelège put it - before the masses. "We have won!" was Parént's laconic statement to his men. An obscure Norman lieutenant and his accomplices had broken the back of the Grand Monarch. At the end of his speech, Cartelège implored his men to go home and have a beer. If only they had taken this advice…

TheMobsProgress.jpg

For Parént proved not just to be an able manipulator of great men, but an accurate judge of the popular mood. He incited them to don their colours and rage through their night, scouring out every last remnant of monarchism within the city. They hardly needed the encouragement, but he hoped doing so would expend their bloodlust and also put himself on the right side of history. He at least made the distinction between the reactionary Monarchicals and the moderate Feuillants, holding nothing against the latter for staying true to the King. His colleague, Charles-Pierre-François Augereau, did not: "The swine must be cleansed!" was his simple instruction. Besides, who was a Monarchical and who was a Feuillant? The militia didn't concern itself with such philosophical dictinstions as it descended upon Paris. The Club Monarchique was the first to come under attack, although much to the mob's consternation, it was empty. Shortly afterwards, it was the turn of the Feuillant Club; the mob ransacked the building, capturing anyone they could find, before setting it alight. The flames could be seen from the Jacobin Club, only just across the Rue Saint Honore. Having dealt with the hives of royalism, the murderous multitudes targeted its adherents. Any nobleman - anyone who even appeared to be noble - was snatched from his home, bludgeoned within an inch of his life and then either left to bleed to death on the streets or dumped in the Seine. The Tuileries was once again beset, and the lives of its terrified occupants saved only by the timely intervention of Orléans' Guard. Abhorred by the bloodletting that he had inadvertently helped unleash, the Duke combined his men with the royalist defectors and rushed to the aid of the Assembly. But the mob had beaten him there. Under their malicious gaze, the Assembly had disgorged its Monarchicals, its Feuillants and even those of the Plain who sat on the Right. The mob swallowed them all up. By the time the Guard arrived, it was too late.

It was under the protection of the Duke that the severely diminished Assembly – which consisted, now, almost entirely of radicals – conducted its business. The King's abdication was recognised and the regency of Orléans instituted. The Constitution was abolished; without recourse to a new constitutional convention, the Assembly simply adopted a new constitution which stripped the King of all his powers save the appointment of the First Minister, incorporated unqualified suffrage and enabled the Constitution to be freely altered by majority vote. The ban on the Cordelier Club was rescinded and a proscription introduced for any club, society or party that promoted monarchism in any form. The de facto decimation of the Feuillants and the Monarchicals was made de jure. A death warrant was issued for the loyal Richard and the Comte de Nogaret-Lefebvre, who had again been appointed Naval Secretary. One of the royal residences was to be given to Orléans (perhaps at his instigation) to serve as the seat of the Regency. Finally, the Assembly promised to hold new elections as soon as order was restored. This last decree sounded like the triumph of hope over experience.

That would be a long time coming. The horde had moved on, but it hadn't dispersed. It continued its rampage along the left bank of the Seine. The Collège des Quatre-Nations, founded by Louis the Great, was sacked, while a fire started in the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés reached its saltpetre reserves and consumed the entire structure. Churches and parishes proved to be a favourite target, regardless of their stature; even Notre Dame de Paris was seized. Within it was discovered the Archbishop of Paris, Adolphe Beauchene, a mild Feuillant who had played no part in the uprising, having confided himself in quiet meditation. His piety did not dissuade the mob, who accused him of being a Papist pawn. His life was saved only by the least likely of figures. Cartelège, who had caught up with the mob's progress, managed to convince them not to spill blood in the eyes of Christ. The Archbishop was arrested instead, but this was to prove the exception. The entire Île de la Cité soon fell to mob rule, including the Palais de Justice and the Conciergerie, Paris' largest prison. Revolutionaries emptied their cells and thrust in their administrators instead. The mob expanded even further with the inclusion of these convicts, who shared in its lust to settle debts. And the greatest debt of all was still to be settled. André Bouchard had called upon them to march on the Palais du Luxembourg. The circumstances may have changed, but their determination had not.

18206490-77ba-4634-8865-88fc25f01ebb.jpg

At the Luxembourg, the atmosphere was thick with despondency. The King's retainers were crushed under the weight of defeat; the King himself, silent. The new monarch, Louis-Charles I (as he now was), could scarcely appreciate the responsibility that now rested upon him. But at least they were safe, shielded from recrimination by their bargain with Parént. And then they saw the smoke rising over the Seine. Before they could evacuate, the reckoning was upon them; the rebels straddled the entire perimeter of the Luxembourg like a chain, ready to strangle the royal neck. "Bring us the King," they cried: "Let the people see their king!" The doors opened, and there appeared Louis-Auguste - only hours earlier, Louis XVI, King of the French. He had been determined to face his persecutors. The Swiss Guard had begged him to flee while they bought time, but he knew that would have been the death sentence for his family. Instead, he chose to surrender himself to the mercy of the mob, on the condition that they did not harm his family and swore obedience to his son. Touched by the modest figure of their erstwhile Grand Monarch and his surprising bravery, the mob conceded to his demands - but only if the child king would return home to the Tuileries. Knowing that he was in no position to negotiate, Louis promised that the Swiss Guard would convey him home within a week. Bouchard, in a rare act of restraint, convinced the mob to accept this. Louis gave himself up and was taken to the Conciergerie.

1d68346f-68bd-40ba-bb31-0acd11e555f6.gif

The more sensible voices of the revolution were nowhere to be found during this carnage, for they had their own agendas to attend to. The Duc d'Orléans had sheltered the Tuileries and the Assembly, but his men were too concerned with occupying the École Militaire and plundering its armaments to uphold order on the streets. He had insisted that the Parisian people return home and that the Guard would punish the noncompliant, but his six thousand men were no match for half of Paris. Even a token bribe offered by the Duke to every citizen who obeyed produced nothing but ridicule, as they could gain much more from plunder. Parént himself, having heard of the liberation of the Conciergerie, moved with his Republican Guard to occupy the Temple - the capital's fortress prison - to prevent a similar occurrence. As he was joined there by his confederates, Augereau and Le Goff, the Society of French Gentleman soon came to be known as the Templars. The radicals were also busy feathering their nests; Antoine Durand and his Phrygian followers had set up base at the Hôtel Lambert on the Île Saint-Louis (the irony did not elude them). Cartelège may have been the head of the mob, but in opting for moderation when the people demanded excess, he had ceded its voice to Bouchard, who held their leash. Even Javert Valjean and Valérian Lémieux had carved out names for themselves amongst the sans-culottes.

Of those who remained loyal to the government, their fates were diverse indeed. The Baron d'Harfleur had taken refuge in the safest place in the city: Parént's residence. He survived the night, but his future was uncertain. The Comte de Nogaret-Lefebvre had fled Paris, making a desperate bid for the border. On the road he encountered the Marquis de Bouillé and Orléans' two sons, the Duc de Chartres and the Duc de Montpensier. They had deserted the army after news of Louis' capitulation reached them, fearing that they might be betrayed by their own men to be used as bargaining chips with the Revolutionary Government. They would eventually cross the border into Germany and the shadow court of the émigrés. As for Richard, the ever patriotic minister emerged from hiding to present himself to the custody of Cartelège, who had condemned him to death in absentia. He passionately demanded to be given a fair trial, arguing that he was only doing his duty by the Crown and the Constitution. He would get his trial, vowed Cartelège, but it was doubtful that it would be a fair one. The only successful resistance offered was by the protesters in Le Peletier, who organised themselves into the Royal Military Command Paris (CMRP) and managed to preserve their district from the destruction wreaked across the rest of the city. Such was the final tally for the royalists. At the end of the night, the decision of René Leon to take his own life seemed rather prescient.

But the revolutionaries were far from finished. They had achieved almost everything they had hoped for, but France remained under a King, which would never satisfy the most zealous republicans. A government was still to be formed, satisfactory to all the groups who had contributed its creation while being competent enough to deal with France's many woes. The mob was still at large, as destabilising to the new order as it was to the old. The repercussions of their actions would reverberate across Europe, driving away old friends and inviting new enemies, and across France itself, where their enemies would regroup and plot reprisal. And then, of course, there was the fate of the royalist prisoners and the ancien régime, a stain on the capital that the night of terror had not been quite able to entirely erase. For all these problems, Bouchard prescribed a universal panacea: "To the Guillotine!" France had a new ruler: King Mob.

-------------------------
Player Actions Needed:

The coup has succeeded!

The Monarchical and Feuillant factions have been destroyed. Members of these factions are advised either to attempt to switch faction or create a new character.

The Constitution has been amended to include Universal Suffrage and Ceremonial Monarchy. ((I figured not everyone enjoyed legalese as much as I do...))

Louis-Charles I ((Ab Ovo)) is the new King of the French. Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orléans ((Spectre17)) shall serve as the Regent until his majority.

René Leon ((Harpsichord)) and Édouard-Alexandre Blair ((DensleyBlair)) are dead. Francois Marie-Joseph Richard ((aussieboy)) and Adolphe Beauchene ((czechmasaryk)) are under arrest. Jacques de Nogaret-Lefebvre ((G.K.)) has fled France.

Renaud de Cartelège ((Gen. Marshall)) is the First Minister. He must appoint a government.

The Assembly must now decide the fate of the condemned men, what is to be done about the mob and the Le Peletier rebels, and whether to hold new elections.

The next update will be on Sunday 13 April and ministerial orders will be due by Wednesday.

Last edited:
((Oh my... I guess I should have expected that.

You have the wrong player attached to Cartelège, by the way ;)))
Oops - duly rectified!

You are all very, very lucky that I noticed a certain post by Monsieur Viola, or this update would have been rather different...

I'll get you a table of contents.

EDIT: Also, I thought I'd just leave this lying here...

((Don't worry, we'll kill all you Feuillants in no time.))

Last edited:
Oops - duly rectified!

You are all very, very lucky that I noticed a certain post by Monsieur Viola, or this update would have been rather different...

I'll get you a table of contents.
((Once again I saved the day!))

People of Paris, we have won.
This was a night to remember, now the Assembly will ensures that the Monarchists will no longer be in a position to harm our Revolution. People of Paris, you can rest at last!

Later, at the assembly...

It is obvious that Francois Marie-Joseph Richard is a foreign spy at the order of the Roman Pope, we cannot allow these refractory priests to harm our nation any longer. Therefore I ask for a quick and public execution of this traitor through the mean of the Guillotine, let Justice finally be done. I don't know what role Adolphe Beauchene had during the fights and therefore I think that we should let him talk and explain his position before this assembly, or before a judge.

The revolt in Le Peletier is a great danger for the People of Paris; I don't know if the local population was tricked by Counter-Revolutionaries or if they are just mercenaries in disguise, anyway they must be given one chance to surrender peacefully and offered a general amnesty, or face suppression by the National Guard. I hope that this problem can be resolved peacefully.

On the matter of new elections I have no strong opinions.

- André Bouchard

Vincent, alongside the former Baron, over looked Paris from a balcony on the Temple that fateful night. Knowing that for all his might the rabble will have their way, Vincent offered the Baron a room and called for a runner.

"Yes sir?"

"I wish a message to be sent to the First Minister"

The runner nodded as Vincent handed him the note, he hoped it got their in time.

Well it seems that we have won. I thank you and your club for all the assistance over the past week. Now there are some matters of business to attend to.

First is the matter of appointments, I hope to retain my position in charge of the Police and have Charles take over the Republican Guard. He's a good man and won't bay for too much blood. I know you don't wish me to continue to hold both, so I hope my chosen successor is picked.

Second is the matter of executions. It is of my opinion that the former Baron St Sebastien alongside the Archbishop be released. The first is an able technocrat while the other is a Man of God. This man Richard though, make a big deal of it. The mob wants a show, so give them a show.

Lastly, the Lê Peltier rebels seem rather a pain. They seem more to be protecting their homes then working against the revolution. Therefore I say give them a chance to calm down and go home before whiling the traitors from the streets.

I hope this finds you in good health,

Vincent

Boniface_Sainte_Deacutevote1791_zps055effec.jpg

Name: Boniface Sainte-Dévote (né Buonifacio di Santa-Devota)
Date of Birth: 17th July 1767
Place of Birth: Monaco
Culture: Monegasque
Religion: Roman Catholic

Biography: Boniface Sainte-Dévote was born in Monaco to a wine merchant, Ludovico di Santa-Devota, and his wife, Maria Renton. He was the couple's eldest son and second oldest child. The Monegasque Santa-Devotas were descended from a minor Piedmontese noble family who moved to Monaco via Liguria in the 16th century.

He attended a local school in Monaco from the age of nine, but withdrew from education after only four years when his father died and he became the head of the family household. The following year, in 1781, his mother remarried and moved away, leaving the 13-year-old to manage the house. His father had died in debt, and Sainte-Dévote was forced to turn to crime to sustain his family – eventually being arrested and convicted on charges of theft in 1782.

Following 18 months in prison, during which time two of his younger brothers died of tuberculosis and his sister married and moved away, Sainte-Dévote moved to Nice, where he found employment as a cabin boy aboard a merchant ship. He spent two years at sea, before moving to France in 1786. Once in France, he changed his name from the Italian di Santa-Devota to the French Sainte-Dévote. Soon after, he enlisted in the army, joining the 5th Hussar Regiment as a private.

The young soldier quickly demonstrated his military skill, winning a series of rapid promotions in the ensuing three years. By the time the revolution broke out, he had been promoted to the rank of Second-Lieutenant.

During the revolution, Sainte-Dévote supported the radical Society of the Friends of Truth (or Social Club), subscribing to their newsletter, La Bouche de Fer and occasionally submitting points for discussion and consideration by the Society's intellectual clique. Militarily, he spent the period between 1789 and 1790 serving in the Marseillais militia fighting against royalists and various other insurgent groups. He became the militia's lieutenant-colonel in the latter stages of 1790.

Sainte-Dévote was discharged from the militia in April 1791, at which point he moved to Paris, winning a place at the prestigious École Militaire, where he enrolled in a two-year course. During this period, he also attended many debates at the Social Club's Cirque du Palais-Royale, occasionally offering questions.

When war broke out between France and the Holy Roman Empire in October 1791, Sainte-Dévote prorogued hi studies so as to serve in the military. He was granted a commission and served as Aide-de-Camp to the then Secretary of State for War, Jacques Nazaire Aulard. He was further granted the rank of colonel.

Timeline

1767: Born in Monaco
1780: Father dies, with Sainte-Dévote left as head of the family
1781: Mother remarries and moves away
1782: Convicted of theft and sent to prison
1783: Two of his younger brothers die of tuberculosis; sister marries and moves away
1784: Released from prison; finds employment on a merchant ship
1786: Returns to France after two years at sea and enlists in the army, becoming a private with the 5th Hussars
1789: Promoted to the rank of second lieutenant; revolution breaks out
1790: Becomes lieutenant-colonel of the Marseillais militia during the revolution
1791: Discharged from the militia; wins a place at L'École Militaire; war breaks out between France and Austria; becomes ADC to Secretary of State for War Jacques Nazaire Aulard; promoted to the rank of colonel

Last edited:
((Densley, the Socials are no longer a real power. Try the Phrygians. ))

The Socials have lapsed for want of player attention, but they can still be revived.

((According to the first post (which I note has been updated to include the revised list of factions,) they are still extant. Considering Sainte-Dévote has no political ambitions, that will do for me. :)

EDIT: I see our benevolent GM beat me to it. Indeed, I shall revive them!))

The Durandists On Île Saint-Louisouis

The Hôtel Lambert was bustling with preparations for war when news of the King's abdication reached them. Hundreds of men carried stolen firearms, swords, anything that could kill a man you could find it being wielded by one of the Durandists. They all wore the phrygian which was fast becoming a powerful symbol for the Parisian rebels, everywhere a man went with a phrygian he was approached with great admiration and respect in the streets. But suddenly the phrygian guard found themselves without an enemy, proclamations that the Revolution had been won was tampered with the fact that France was still a monarchy albeit a puppet monarchy. The Durandists or phrygians had been self-controlled during their march in Paris, their leader Antoine Durand was adamant that they were civilized men and not animals rampaging through the streets of the city like other groups. Indeed all their provisions except for their firearms had been gathered from donations and by his followers from their own homes.

Hôtel Lambert was clean and managed efficiently by the Club de Phrygian, all men who surrendered or who were on the sidelines had been given food and shelter. Already printing presses were being moved into the structure once the home of Voltaire. There was still much work to be done.

Île Saint-Louis was essentially under the control of the Durandists and it is here that they were determined to stay and build a foundation for furthering their Revolution. The presses produced thousands of issues of the La Phrygian, essentially the same as the La Cordeliers but with a new title. Excerpts of Enlightenment works along with revolutionary articles covered its pages.

Antoine Durand and his council were finishing a particularly powerful piece on the intentions and vision of their faction. They were still misunderstood by those in the revolutionary government and by many people on the streets. So far they had been firebrands of Republic, soldiers of Liberty leading the wave of the people to fall onto and demolish the traditions of old especially the Monarchy. Now it was time to grow and to make themselves clear to the populace.

La Phrygian - Issue One

On The Health Of The Revolution

And

The Coming Of The Ancient Regimes

To Thwart

Our Advances Toward Liberty

And Republic

By Antoine Durand "Paladin de la liberté"

October has seen the arrival and closure of just one phase in the Revolution of the Fatherland. Indeed many popular and influential heroes of our cause have ascended to power to hopefully govern France toward the light of Republic. Already the tricolors fly from the windows of many Parisians and even from many homes in the countryside. Yet the general mood of the new ruling class suggests that they the Revolution is now complete! I must disagree heroes of Liberty. As I write this the Monarchy remains except now the boy king, Louis-Charles reigns under the close supervision of the new leadership. Perhaps this was done to placate the royalists waiting to defend their ghost of a man, Louis the Impotent who they blindly worship like savages to their sun god. Yet the shadow of Monarchy no matter what form it takes still threatens to tear down the pillars of our liberation constructed with our blood, sweat, and tears and those the lives of thousands of heroes.

Rumors abound that some of the former King's men have escaped the fatherland to Austria where no doubt they are plotting to have the absurdly named "King of the Romans" to mobilize his slave armies and to drive those whose heart beats the tune of our revolutionary songs out of Paris into exile or until those hearts stop beating. Likewise the nation has not had proper leadership for many years, our finances are in disarray, many of our citizens starve in the street, or fall pray to savages wandering the streets. The reins of the army is pulled by the decayed hands of aristocrats birthed from their diseased and ancient bloodlines. The church continues to poison the minds of our youth with Papist propaganda.

But we are the bringers of Liberty, the crusaders of Republic and we have shown that our strength knows no boundaries, that our spirits are too pure and determined to bulk at the impending abyss of tyranny that may come from the rest of Europe or from our enemies at home!

Although the disease of monarchy has yet to be eradicated from the Fatherland I have recognized the compromise of rebel leaders in keeping the child king onto the dark throne of tyranny as a tool for furthering the greater vision of revolution. Therefore I declare my support for the new government in solidarity with those who are walking a tightrope over the destruction of Enlightenment toward the promised land of Liberty, Fraternity, and Brotherhood. If the new government requires my assistance then I shall oblige them so long as the ideals of our Revolution are kept clean from the hands of would be tyrants and corrupters.

The Fatherland must stand united against the coming tide of Europe's slave armies led by the closest manifestation of devils ever to walk the face of the world!

Friends, patriots, countrymen! The actions by you in these past few days have been brave and heroic they have saved the soul of the revolution and helped heal an ailing France which we all call home. Sadly though our job is not done. Although we have removed the enemies of progress from the heart of our country their presence is still felt across France. I call on the oppressed people's all across our great nation to rise up! Break off your shackles and send them the message that we have had enough! Every corrupt monarchist must go! Though remember this my fellow revolutionaries leave men of the church unharmed for they only live to serve God, no endeavor is so glorious as that save revolution. Purge those who once exploited you! Who stole the food out of your stomach and condemned your families to starvation!

Vive la France!

Vive la Revolution!

Comrades from Paris, The Revolution is progressing, like we all knew it would! The indomitable waves of the revolution cannot be stopped by any force in this planet and soon we will complete the revolution!.

But we are NOT done, yes celebrate, yes be happy for one of the biggest obstacles was defeated, but remember we are not done yet. There is much to be done for the revolution and its defense from the counter-revolutionary forces and activities, so that one day every man and woman can say, it is complete.

The first of which is the formation of a force true to the revolution!, true to its defense!, made by true patriots that had fought and bleed for it!.

For that i announce the creation of the Carabiniers Guard. Why? you may be asking yourself, I will tell you the why!. To protect our revolution! because its our! the people of France revolution!

If we arent ever vigilant and ready to protect it then who else will? For that i call upon you brothers and sisters of the Sans-Culottes to join the Carabiniers as the core of the revolution, the most experience and fierce defenders of our liberty and freedom! i call you both as the revolution is for everyone!.
But not only them have the right and duty to protect our revolution so i call every true patriot of Paris to join the Carabiniers to defend our hard won Revolution for the threat of counter revolution is so ever present!.

Follow me, who has been present in the revolution from the start, who abandon his position and live at the disgust of Lafayet! who saw the wrongly use of the french people to oppress them, and who will never let the revolution be destroyed, defeated or mishandled meanwhile breath come from my mouth!

I invite too the brothers of the so call revolutionary guard to join us, i know many of you looked and hoped to be lead by my person in the elections, join the Carabiniers guard and become true defenders of the revolution!

Now spread the word brothers and sister, the word that a true force to defend and protect the revolution have been formed, that any true revolutionary is accepted and that we will defend it to death! our creed is: The permanent anticipation of betrayal and treachery for the protection of the revolution and the french nation!

Speech by Javert Valjean to his brothers and sisters of the Sans-Culottes and the mob surrounding his podium.

(edited for readability and some grammar corrections)

Last edited:
383px-Bonchamps.jpg
Name: Francisque de St Denis-Paternoster
Date of Birth: January 3rd, 1760
Position: Royal Secretary to His Majesty Louis-Charles
Biography: A former priest who was laicised from his orders by a pro-Revolutionary bishop, Francisque hails from the staunchly-monarchist region of the Vendee and was hired as a tutor for the Crown Prince of France. Upon his young charge's accession to the throne an able manipulation of palace politics allowed him to gain the coveted sinecure of Royal Secretary. A purely ceremonial post under normal affairs, as the King is still in his minority Francisque now acts both as a semi-father figure and as the de facto guardian and representative of le petit Roi. Although Francisque himself tends towards a more conservative political outlook his main goal is to keep Louis-Charles on the throne no matter the scale of his prerogatives or the compromises that need to be made.

art_nouveau_stylised_rose_round_stickers-rbf00b913e9404e1598d2563b4df1c406_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

On the History of the Society of French Gentlemen
Le Société de Messieurs Français / The Society of French Gentlemen
Dieu, Patrie, Courage / God, Country, Courage

Created in a Rhenish tavern (reputed to be named the French Rose, the symbol of the Society) the Society of French Gentlemen, known as Le Société or the Templars, had ignoble beginnings. Founded in 1791 by sous-lieutenant Vincent Parént during a drunken night of political banter, the Société became a fashionable accessory for the average officer. Despite it's insipid name, the Société's early support of then rising Feuillants struck a cord with the rather divided military and with the party. This led to the main founder, Vincent Parént, to be declared Lieutenant-General of Police. Initially nervous and apolitical, Parént became friends and confidants with Lord Chancellor Per Le Goff and General Charles-Pierre-François Augereau. They joined Le Société, and it was then that Parént started losing his monarchist slant.

Operating under the guise of Chief of Police, Parént contacted the Cordeliers and Jacobins about a potential coup. During the Massacre of the Champs de Mars the plan became finalised. It was a stroke of luck when the Monarchist Nogart was dismissed and Augereau was appointed Minster of the Navy. Enacting upon the plan, the National Guard, the Chancellery, the Navy and the Gendarme all rose with the people of Paris against the moderate Feuillant government. Vincent Parént, as the face of Le Société, became the face of the coup and of the Revolution.

When the Coup succeeded, Le Société was arguably the most powerful club in France, holding the entirety of the Judiciary plus the Navy. However it is known now that Vincent turned down the First Ministry and instead allowed de Cartelège and Le Goff to become the Transitional Government. When Le Société based themselves in the Temple, they received the nickname "les Templiers" or the Templars.

Political Policies of Le Société

It is known that the Templars (or Le Société, both are acceptable) are right-wing republicans, believing in a strong military and a strong Church. However like any other republican club it holds disdain for the ancien regime and the nobility. Known for a strong showing in the military and in the bureaucrats, Le Société hopes to be a guiding voice of reason through the post-Revolutionary and post-coup period.

Noted Events of involving Le Société

Establishment of Le Société
Brief Post-Election September 1791 History and Introduction of the French Rose
Official Lists of Le Société
Declaration of the Failure of the Government and the King - October 7th, 1791
Declaration of the Formation of the Revolutionary Ribbon

Last edited:
France2_zps8935bfdb.jpg

“Carabinier Guard”

Be always in permanent anticipation of betrayal and treachery, in defense of the Revolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité

The Carabinier Vigiliant Guard is a private initiative by worried citizens of the Cordelier District and other left-leaning neighborhoods. It is connected to the Society of the Friends of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, also known as the Cordelier Club. While the Cordelier Club aims at creating liberty and equality though Parliamentary means, the Carabinier Guardsmen are brothers of the People, picked from among the People, extending the reach of Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité to the streets of Paris and more importantly be ever vigilant and suspicious of counter-revolutionary activities and groups.

The Carabinier Guard is a tightly organized and structured force, aimed at defending the values of the Revolution, and upholding The revolution and order whenever local authorities are unable to or unwilling to. The Carabiniers accept any one, regardless of his background or precedence (unless they are though to be Monarchist and enemies of the revolution) and judge only based on his performance within the Guard. The Guard aims to establish a force capable of holding its own against any threat to the revolution or its ideals be it foreign or internal.

The carabinier Vigilant Guard Aims to posses district headquarters in every District of Paris with the main Headquarter being located in the Cordelier District. Eventually the dream is to be in every city of France protecting the revolution.

The Carabinier Vigilant Guard of Paris is commanded by the Commissar, who is a member of the Cordelier Club. He is assisted by the Carabinier-General, who will handle the practical execution of the Commissar’s orders. At present, the Commissar and the Carabinier-General are the same person and unlikely to change for the time being.

Commissar: Javert Valjean
Carabinier-General: Javert Valjean

Last edited: