• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((The Dukes of Chartres and Montpensier are in the army so they can't really stop their father, the Duke's youngest son is with him but he's only 12 so won't do much either. The Dukes merely said they'd obey their superior officers as is their duty, not that they are horrified by their fathers actions or anything))

((The Dukes of Chartres and Montpensier are in the army so they can't really stop their father, the Duke's youngest son is with him but he's only 12 so won't do much either. The Dukes merely said they'd obey their superior officers as is their duty, not that they are horrified by their fathers actions or anything))

((I know - but Richard is of the opinion they should at least... you know.))

370px-Grand_Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_France_%26_Navarre.svg.png

"For every monarchy overthrown the sky becomes less brilliant, because it loses a star. A republic is ugliness set free."
-Anatole France
"We must, in all things, avoid the creation of a reign of terror. We cannot ask men to die in the gardens of this Palace, because they do not die for their country or their home, they die for us and we alone. As we are a father, so we cannot ask the sons and fathers of other men to bear such a burden."

Louis XVI was the King of the French and at the moment his Kingdom extended to the grounds of the Palais du Luxembourg. Men-at-arms were preparing outside to resist the inevitable siege but Louis had spent the past few hours engaged in negotiations with the Revolutionary government. The peace they had hammered out was a good one: neither side was completely happy with it. But whatever his numerous other faults and foibles, the Duc de Orleans wished to avoid unnecessary bloodshed and the Revolutionaries were eager to keep their patron with the Guard happy.

"God forgive me."

Affixing the Royal seal to the document before handing it off to be delivered, Louis quietly walked outside.
266px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_France_%26_Navarre.svg.png
It is clear to us that the cause of the Constitution and legitimate exercise of the popular will has failed. Therefore, we must make such arrangements and take such measures necessary to ensure that stability of governance continue in the face of the new order; and take all steps which may be required in order to avoid the spilling of French blood. Therefore, in accordance with the Constitution we appoint Renaud de Cartelège as First Minister, Pierre Le Goff as Lord Chancellor, and dismiss the remainder of the government. This having been done, we hereby abdicate the throne of France in favour of our son, Louis-Charles. Furthermore, all complicit in the recent uprising against His Majesty's Government are considered to have been pardoned of their crimes.

It is out most fervent hope that this may provide stable government in the times ahead, and that the members of the hitherto Revolutionary government will be faithful to their word as gentlemen as for the disposition of the French government henceforth.

125px-Signature_of_Louis_XVI.svg.png

The King has abdicated. Long live the King!

M. Francois Joseph-Marie Richard.

Vincent, uniformed tattered and tricolour tied in a sash around his waist reads the proclamation aloud to the gathered Republican Guard and the Mob of men and women

"Men, Women, Children of France and of God. We have won!

The King, Monsieur Louis, has stepped down from the throne while two vanguards of the revolution Messieurs Le Goff and de Cartelège have been legally declared the true Government of France. The Good Citizen Egalite has done it again for our cause!

Now let us do this Revolution truly good! Go to your houses and grab your revolutionary Tricolours. Find your neighbours and take them along with you. Now go find ever Monarchist club and burn it to the ground. Rip their anti-democratic propaganda and show your strength! Tear down their facades and spit on their corpses. The Monarchist Clique, who has forever been our oppressors, who have forced you to work your children to death, to have your family starve and forced you into ghettos? The Monarchist Clique!

Find Monsieur Richard, find Monsieur Nogart! Kill them, burn them and tear them apart, limb from limb! If I find them I will throw them to you, the mob. The Monarchist Clique shall be purged from the history of France and never again grace us with their oppression.

The Feus are fine, let them come with us if need be. They are not the aristocrats that sullied our spirits and spit on our lives, they are not the men that drove us to fight wars in far off lands and not rightful French lands. The Monarchist Clique did this, not the Feus!

The Revolution is nearly done my friends! Down with the Monarchist Clique and Viva la Revolution!

The Mob cheered to the sky, smoke silently drifting across it, at the words at Vincent. He hoped this would prevent attacks on the Feus and on the rest of the Royal Family, as the mob needed to be satisfied with at least some blood. Understanding that it will most likely never be understood, Vincent took a revolutionary flag and continued with his Revolutionary Guard

The King has proven to be a coward yet again! Friends, patriots, countrymen! We must destroy the threat posed by the second estate once and for all. If you encounter a noble it is your duty to kill him! If you see a greedy monarchist hoarding bread cut off his hands and teach him a lesson! Destroy the monarchist filth. Wipe them from our beloved country. It is your duty to god to do this. Destroy the men who have enslaved you for these past many years. Who overtaxed you and underfed you. The swine must be cleansed!

Vive la France!

Vive la Revolution!

The National Guard troops currently in the Palais-Royal will be returning to regular duties including keeping order in the city of Paris. Any attempts to murder fellow citizens of the Kingdom of the French will be stopped and any violence in our beloved capital will not be allowed to continue. In recognition of their services to France I will personally pay a small reward to every Parisian that participated in the revolt who peacefully returns to their daily lives.

~Louis-Philippe "Egalite", Duke of Orléans

The Baron d’Harfleur, still in the Palais du Luxembourg with the Royal Family, heads to what had become his impromptu office and began penning several letters; the first was to his younger brother, Jean-Balthasar:

My Dearest Brother,

It is with a heavy heart that I must demand this of you, and it is harder still to say that you must do this without my aid; Jean, you must leave France; I fear that our family may no longer be welcome citizens in this new republic, and that if you linger here any longer than you must, we find not only our home ransacked but our blood spilt. There are radicals who openly speak of murdering a child, simply because of his name and title, and I very much doubt that such madness will stop with his abdication. Take mother and Elizabeth to Le Havre and depart from our homeland; I do not care where, and I do not care under whose flag you sail. Take what you must from our home, but leave it by the roadside if they burden you too much; if, by some strange and perverse fate, be stopped by those Jacobins, lie about your heritage and especially your name (please, talk to mother and sister about this; if your stories do not corroborate, they’ll no doubt suspect you). We may not be able to speak again for a long time, brother, but do not write me back; you mustn’t waste any time.

Your brother,
Paul
After sending his most trusted lieutenant northwards, he quickly writes down another letter, this addressed to the instigator of the coup, Vincent Parént.

To His Excellency, Vincent Parént, Commander of the National Guard

I do hope that gracious offer of wine and talk has not been rescinded in light of this revolutionary nonsense; it is my firm opinion that the military, above all else, matters. If, of course, you find yourself too busy with the current affairs of this government, I would very much wish to perhaps reschedule this meeting to a less hectic hour.

Sincerely,
Paul-Aurélien de St Sebastien, Secretary of State for War
He then pens a third letter, to the new Regent of France,

To His Grace, Louis Phillipe II, Duc d'Orléans, Duc de Nemours and Prince de Joinville, the Lord Regent of France

I wish to inform your magnanity His Majesty is presently safely in the custody of myself and other loyal officials, and that we shall, to the best of our abilities, ensure his Royal Person; furthermore, we shall remain here until such a time that a journey to your base in Palais Tuileries can be made safely. I hope sincerely that the monarchy long endures under your wise and moderate leadership.

Sincerely,
Paul-Aurélien de St Sebastien, Baron d’Harfleur and Secretary of State for War

After sending this letter, he pens one final letter, to the commander of the Army that he had previously tasked with defending the King; in it, he informed him of the King’s decision, and to prepare any royalist officers for a hasty flight from France should the Jacobin madness sweep their way. If he could prevent any more bloodshed, he would.

285px-Louis_Charles_of_France6.jpg
Name: His Most Christian Majesty, King Louis-Charles of the French
Date of Birth: 27 March 1785
Faction: Unaligned
Biography:

27 March 1785 – 4 June 1789 His Royal Highness the Duke of Normandy
4 June 1789 – 9 October 1791 His Royal Highness the Prince Royal of France
9 October 1791 – His Most Christian Majesty the King of the French

A very private letter is penned to Charles

Shut your damned hole.

Vincent

Another is sent to Louis-Philippe and is read by no one but him

I understand and share your sentiment. But I wish the mob, if discontent with law and needing an avenue of destruction, seek it in a desired rather then undesired path. I appreciate the call for calm.

Vincent

A third is sent to the Baron St Sebastien

Absolutely, shall my humble abode be adequate or do you wish to dine at your house?

Vincent Parént

A letter is sent from God-knows-where - perhaps from Paris, perhaps from Poitou, perhaps from the rear-end of the Earth:

To His Grace, Louis Philippe, Regent of the French on his Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVII, King of the French;

Your Grace,

I hope this letter finds you and my King in good spirits. I apologize for my intemperate words of late; I merely was attempting to execute the office to which your dear brother had appointed me. I thank you for your call for calm; yet I am still in hiding for the simple reason that I am unsure if some of His Most Christian Majesty's officials will follow His Most Christian Majesty's desires for calm. Perhaps when this letter reaches you, I might well have gone to meet my eternal reward; whether it does is of no consequence from the petition I offer to you.

I remonstrate with you, Your Grace, to first do away with the Civil Constitution of the Clergy. The people outside Paris by and large resent this imposition on Holy Mother Church, and might pose a dire threat from our brothers and sisters in faith if not remedied. Many will be won over to the cause of liberty if you do this.

Secondly, I petition that a new constitution, offering the franchise of all Frenchmen over twenty-one, be seriously mooted and considered. It is what your brother would have done if not for the madness of recent days.

Finally, I ask that you remember the common people of the land. Many of their new landlords, especially those on the biens nationaux, presently oppress them more than any prelate would have cared to. Do that, and the peasantry, they who feed this very city, shall be content, and hold you and His Majesty in uncommonly high esteem.

As even the King's loyal subject,
M. Francois Joseph-Marie Richard
Former Lord Chancellor of France.

When the Royalist messenger appeared at the Estate of House de Nogaret-Lefebvre with the news from Paris a few days after abdication of His Majesty Louis XVI., Count Jacques de Nogaret was nowhere to be found. The old majordomus only told the courier that his master fell ill and needs to rest. In fact, Count Jacques was, alongside with some prominent monarchist politicians, officers and soldiers, on his way to the Holy Roman Empire, seeking to receive help from the Monarchies of Europe to stop the downfall of his homeland. The way ahead of him was long and dangerous indeed, but Count de Nogaret feared no danger.

Name: Ferran i Ignasi
Date of Birth: 13 October, 1773
Estate: Fourth Estate
Religion: Catholic
Culture: Catalan
Faction: The Plain ((If not possible, then Ferran shall belong to the Monarchicals.))
Biography: Ferran is the second son of well-off winemakers hailing from the coastal plain of Roussillon and settled in the city of Lyon, living off of funds from his family until he was able to buy a printing press and a steady supply of paper from the Swiss cantons and local producers. He was originally very supportive of the Parisian Revolution and ran articles railing against the "reactionary" First and Second Estates until he was treated to some classic Parisian hospitality. That is to say, a very bad-smelling gang of Parisians suddenly dragged him into an alley, beat him up, and robbed him of most of his money because he was not a native. Of course, the meetings of the clubs were only slightly worse. Physical abuse was avoided, but outright disdain of the country as a whole was certainly a trend in the discussions. Disillusioned with the Revolutionary bourgeoisie of Paris, he headed back to Lyon and started refocusing his newspaper on an anti-Paris view that lambasted the egocentricity of the "Revolutionaries" and called for the isolation of Paris from the rest of the nation and a decentralization of power to the countryside and cities. It is unclear truly what Parisian faction he supports, but if anyone were to give an educated guess, they would say that he is a Monarchical in one of the loosest uses of the name as they are not filled with Parisians only able to think of their own city. While his newspaper may only be read in the southern reaches of the realm, what readers his paper does have are at the very least informed of events up north.

Mes amis!

The King has agreed to an impressive list of demands to save his wretched hide, saving us from bloodshed and France from turmoil. Let me read you the terms of victory!

- Obviously, none of us will be proscecuted. We fought only for freedom and equality!
- The King shall abdicate in favour of his son, Louis-Charles.
- The Constitution shall be altered in such a way that from now on, the King will not stand in the way of democracy. Aside from ceremonial privileges, the King's only duty shall be to appoint the First Minister from amongst the largest faction in Parliament.
- Elections shall from this point onwards be held with universal male suffrage, allowing every single seat in Parliament to be elected by the People proportionally.
- The Entrenchment Clause shall be omitted from the Constitution.
- Monarchism as a political ideology or faction of any sort shall be banned.
- The Cordelier Society of the Friends of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen shall be legalized.
- As known counter-revolutionaries and enemies of the People, Francois-Joseph Marie Richard and Jacques de Nogart-Lefebvre are sentenced to death by guillotine.
- Ownership of one of the Royal Chateaus will be transferred to the Duke of Orleans. Which one, I leave up to the honourable gentlemen themselves.
- Elections shall be held as soon as order is restored.

Now go home, have a beer. For you have all lived through the Revolution!

- "Le Préfet" Renaud de Cartelège

Mes amis!

The King has agreed to an impressive list of demands to save his wretched hide, saving us from bloodshed and France from turmoil. Let me read you the terms of victory!

- Obviously, none of us will be proscecuted. We fought only for freedom and equality!
- The King shall abdicate in favour of his son, Louis-Charles.
- The Constitution shall be altered in such a way that from now on, the King will not stand in the way of democracy. Aside from ceremonial privileges, the King's only duty shall be to appoint the First Minister from amongst the largest faction in Parliament.
- Elections shall from this point onwards be held with universal male suffrage, allowing every single seat in Parliament to be elected by the People proportionally.
- The Entrenchment Clause shall be omitted from the Constitution.
- Monarchism as a political ideology or faction of any sort shall be banned.
- The Cordelier Society of the Friends of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen shall be legalized.
- As known counter-revolutionaries and enemies of the People, Francois-Joseph Marie Richard and Jacques de Nogart-Lefebvre are sentenced to death by guillotine.
- Ownership of one of the Royal Chateaus will be transferred to the Duke of Orleans. Which one, I leave up to the honourable gentlemen themselves.
- Elections shall be held as soon as order is restored.

Now go home, have a beer. For you have all lived through the Revolution!

- "Le Préfet" Renaud de Cartelège

"Precisely what is my crime, Monsieur, aside from trying to abide by the oath we all swore?" cries an otherwise unremarkable man dressed in the clothes of a provincial member of the Tiers Etat.

M. Richard makes his way to the tribune.

"Yes, my fellow Frenchmen, it is I, the supposed monster of Poitou and the former Chancellor of my beloved Patrie. I was charged by the King to secure the constitutional order against what seemed to be an unlawful insurrection - for which you have been pardoned, M. le Premier-Ministre, but unfortunately, not being God, I have no power of telling the future.

Mes amis, I further ask, I would comprehend an order for my arrest - though of course it is moot, for I am here, and unarmed, just another member of the Third Estate like anyone here, a simple country lawyer. But a sentence of death, without a trial? Is this what the Revolution stands for, the removal of liberties even the former King was loath to dispense with? Has the Revolution descended so as to negate its very own ideals, like, and I quote, 'Liberty for every man to speak, write, print and publish his opinions'?

Furthermore, under what law do you propose to have me handed over to the Monsieur de Paris? I have not been an enemy of the State, at least such that is legally constituted. I have not engaged in any treason, nor any killing except according to the necessity of maintaining the public safety. I have had the temerity to disagree with the government at present, but is not such disagreement guaranteed by law to any citizen?"

Raising his arms, as if to submit it to be cuffed; "If you want, you can arrest me and bind me now. I will not stop you. Nor will I, if you so insist, resist you sending me to Monsieur de Paris. Even if you - I must add, without warrant, contrary to the Constitution and all semblance of the liberties so loudly proclaimed this year - summarily execute me, I am more than willing to commend my soul to God, for I am a widower, and God in his ineffable mercy has seen fit to admit all my children to his bosom already. But understand that you may kill me, a man, but in doing as you propose you will have cast down the Phyrgian cap and pissed on it. Is that what you want? Is this what the people of Paris, of France, want? I had thought not, but now I am no longer certain.

I initially entered politics out of a desire to serve my community, my people, and my God, and to set right what had gone wrong. Had I had my proposals concerning the clergy passed, and the King secure on his constitutional throne, I would have gladly retired and returned to practicing law for farmers. But now, you would send me to the Bourreau. If that is your resolve, without even a trial, then I only ask that you allow me to make my peace with God and send for a priest to hear my last Confession. In any event, may the Lord have mercy on us all and our country. I die a country lawyer and a proud member of the Tiers-Etat. Viva la France! Vive le Roi!"

Last edited:
Édouard-Alexandre Blair did not go home the night the King abdicated. He had been leading a small detachment of men-at-arms in front of the Palais Luxembourg, though his service had been rendered moot with the signing of one document. He couldn't quite believe the news when he first heard it from one of his lieutenants. A secret peace with the revolutionaries, conducted without Blair's knowledge – or anyone's for that matter – wholly surrendering to Parént and his misguided views.

The pain was only exacerbated by the knowledge that it has been for nought. The
Parèntistes had fought for the implementation of policies already being implemented by his government. When Blair proposed a reform, they denounced him as insincere and a devious statesman concerned only with his well-being. When Parènt brought down a government to do the same, they hailed him as a liberator and a visionary.

The sordid affair had criminalised him. He had been criminalised for his loyalty to the King— or a king, at least. If rumours were to be believed, a six-year-old boy was now on the throne – no doubt the puppet of Parént. What else was he to do? he wondered. This was a man, regardless of status, who had placed trust in Blair's abilities. Who we he to repay that by spitting in that same man's face.

In truth, he had decided on his course of action days before. He knew that, despite the king's assurances of the contrary, they would not win. He suspected, considering the circumstances, that the king knew this too. Blair turned to a lieutenant:

"As-tu du papier?"

The lieutenant looked up as if shocked by his commander's question.

"Oui, Monsieur".

"Donnez-les-moi, s'il tu plaît".

"Bien sûr, Monsieur".

The lieutenant handed Blair a few sheets of paper and a pen. He took them and began writing carefully. Finished, he handed the pen back to the lieutenant and made one more request.

"Et as-tu un pistolet?"

"Oui, bien sûr, Monsieur".

"Bon. Donnez-le-moi aussi".

Hesitantly, the lieutenant obeyed.

"Merci", Blair offered in a resigned tone. He held the gun in his hands, studying its features and running his fingers along the smooth metal. He turned to the lieutenant a final time, ordering him not to leave his position in any circumstances. He then bade his adjutant
adieu before pacing slowly to the rear of one of the palace's many stone buttresses.

-–•–-​

From his position, the lieutenant could not see what was going on behind the buttress. He suspected he didn't need to. In fact, he harboured a dark dread that he knew full well what his commander was doing. The footsteps, slow and pronounced, confirmed his suspicions. Then the sound of heavy breathing, then a muttered prayer in a language he did not understand – Welsh, he assumed. The gun was then cocked, one final breath was drawn and then an almighty crack.

The lieutenant turned away, and prayed for all in Paris that had died that night.

Édouard-Alexandre Densley Blair
Lord Blair of Llyswen

1763-1791

First Minister of France – 1791

"Never was a man less regretted and yet more needed"

"Amo probos"

The triumph of the Revolution is a joyous new for all of France of course, but we can't let our guard down!
Many Monarchists are still free, conspiring against the People and the Revolution, their leaders are:

- Paul-Aurélien de St Sebastien, Baron d’Harfleur. He tried to use the army to burn Paris to the ground, this enemy of the People must pay the higher price for his betrayal. To the Guillotine!

- Count Jacques de Nogaret-Lefebvre. One of the most vulgar and vocal among the Monarchists, clearly part of the conspiracy that tried to destroy the Revolution. To the Guillotine!

- Francois-Joseph Marie Richard. A refractory priest of the worst kind and a spy of the Roman Pope! This man has betrayed France to help the foreign and inherently counter-Revolutionary country of the Papal Sate. To the Guillotine!

These men, and many others, must be punished for their betrayal of the French People! The Jacobin Club will not rest until these traitors won't find Justice!

Furthermore I think that the events of last days should be carefully investigated, especially the role that King Louis XVI had with the attempted assault on the capital. I propose an official investigation on the October's events to understand if the King truly conspired against the Nation or if he was simply used by radical Counter-Revolutionaries.

- André Bouchard

Last edited:
All violence in the city of Paris will not go unanswered. Any citizen who illegally murders another will be punished by the full might of the Constitution and the Law. Any attempts to instigate violence in the city of Paris will also be punished by the Law. Those traitors who fled France to Austria will be tried in absentia for treason, all other monarchists who committed crimes before the Revolution will also be tried. All those who participated in the Revolution, on both sides, have been pardoned as a condition of the agreement that gave us peace. I call for calm throughout France, many of you would have died defending the Revolution yet it is won and now some fools ask you to die for it despite it's victory! I reiterate my previous announcement, all Parisians who participated in the most recent Revolution on the side of the Revolution will be given a monetary reward in exchange for returning to their homes. The National Guard will also be ordered to begin patrolling the streets of Paris and His Majesty will remain in the Luxembourg until the Tuilleries Palace is secure.

For God, France and the Constitution!

~Louis Philippe "Egalité", Duke of Orléans

The citizens of Paris should listen to the words of the good Duke of Orléans, for tonight you can safely return to your homes. Tomorrow the Jacobins will ensure that the traitorous Monarchists, whose names were previously listed, will be punished trough the laws and the judges of France!

- André Bouchard

My condoleances to the Blair family. The First Minister and I might have had our differences and arguments, but I have been convinced that his actions were always out of good heart. I hope that other Feuillants realize that we will not be forging a Jacobin one-party state; they are as much citizens as we are, and deserve to have their voice heard.

While the crowds disperse and order restores, there is more than enough to do for the Revolutionary government. First of all, it must be formed.

((Anyone who wishes a Ministerial post, please PM me or post in this thread. Please also state your preferred Ministry. Revolutionaries are favoured, but members of the old government who haven't committed suicide are also welcome. Current government:

King of the French: Louis-Charles I ((Ab Ovo))
First Minister: Renaud de Cartelège ((Gen. Marshall))
Lord Chancellor: Pierre le Goff ((Noco19))
Controller-General of Finances:
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs:
Secretary of State for War:
Secretary of State of the Navy:
Lieutenant-General of Police:
Archbishop of Paris: Adolphe Beauchene ((czechmasaryk))

...from which I removed Dadarian et al because they might want another job (or not).

Also, we're going to have to draft a new Constitution, probably by editing the previous one. Syriana is usually the go-to constitutional expert, but since he's GM, we might need to do this ourselves.

EDIT: Syriana, could we get a table of contents?))

Last edited: