• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Minister,

It is not just myself I speak for, when I say that I don't believe you. Your words are soothing, but your actions few; in fact, one could state that your words are deceiving. You speak of universal suffrage, equality for the people, all things which I support with all my heart, things we have fought for in the Revolution. Yet on the other hand, from the side of this government there is neither unversal suffrage nor any attempt to implement it - or, for that matter, any of the Revolutionary ideals. There has not been a single attempt to address the unfolding crisis, only meaningless administrative reform.

Universal suffrage will come, you whisper, but only after the people pledge their vocal support for less appetizing parts of your plan. At this time, I find myself wondering if the suffrage amendment will be "delayed", or that you will in fact propose it, knowing that your fellow Feuillants will vote against no matter what.

Monsieur Blair, you are a brilliant and cunning politician, an adept statesman, and a masterful orator. And for that, you are the very worst thing that could have happened to the France I hold so dear. You know as well as I do that the people want liberty and equality. You know they want to break free of the chains of the feudal elite. And, quite brilliantly, you use this as a means to push your own agenda. I just wish, that along with our brothers in the streets of Paris, the rest of France would realize this...

- "Le Préfet" Renaud de Cartelège
The Cordeliers speak the truth!

Nobody can deny the oratory skills of our Minister, but neither he can expect that we will be satisfied by mere words!
I agree with the points raised by the "Préfet", we need less words and more actions! We, and the People of france, demand unrestricted suffrage now, we do not want promises or delays, we want true suffrage now! The People of Paris won't give up their fight until they won't have what they asked for.

The Suffrage Act

Ah, excellent. The People of France will be satisfied!
This will be the first step on the road for a French nation truly free from tyrants and despotism.

- André Bouchard

The Suffrage Act

1. The franchise shall be extended to include all male citizens of France over the age of 21.
2. Citizenship shall be defined as per the existing constitution.

If your government approves of this measure, it has taken a great and credible step towards equality.

- Renaud de Cartelège

M. de Cartelège, might I ask what my agenda is? You attack me as some flaccid, spineless orator whose words are nothing but empty promises. You say that I am some scourge on a France that needs action and not words. You mention some sort of secretive, shadowy ulterior side to my plans for the nation. In all sincerity, can you please tell me about it? It is certainly news to me that I seek to destroy this nation and our liberties – liberties for which, may I remind you, I too fought.

You can be as cynical as you like and speak of disbelief. Of how I'm a cunning liar looking only to advance his own station in life. But what would I gain? An unruly nation despised by Europe and tearing itself apart? Ask yourself, Monsieur, what would I have to gain from that? If I came to France just to seek glory, why in God's name would I still be here? Wouldn't I have packed up home back to Llangoed as soon as the dust cleared? I will tell you why, Monisieur; I am still here as I believe fully that our security is not yet won. It is oft said how the Feuillants consider the Revolution over, yet not once have I ever made even the slightest hint that I think in such a manner.

Further, you dismiss my attempts to reform our local government as meaningless. Tell me, Monsieur, would you rather we lived in a decentralised state where so poor was our administartion that not one policy or reform was able to be implemented outside of Paris? The revolution has been a Parisian affair. You may wish to keep it that way, but I do not. We cannot go around implementing wider reforms without a solid base from which to build. In your eagerness to criticise my government and me, it seems you have either let this fact slip from your mind or never held it there in the first place. This is a wounded nation, Monsieur. Sad though it may be, I cannot just wave some magic wand and make everything better. Indeed, it was Virgil who said: "How happy are those whose walls already rise!". Our walls do not already rise. We must build them, make no mistake, and the sooner we do so, the better.

You ask if my government support my latest bill. I cannot say. If, in these times, I spent hours every day canvassing opinions on each reform we would go nowhere. Never would anything get done – not, at least, before Versailles lay in smouldering ruins, the windows of this all had been smashed and we had all been led to the guillotine. I propose these reforms because I see a need to advance the people's liberty. What use is winning a battle only to lapse back into moderation? Yes, we must be pragmatic to a degree so as not to alienate Europe or have ourselves undermined by poor financing or administartion, but this does not mean that we cannot expand the franchise, bring the effects of our new found freedoms to the provinces and more.

I demonstrate today my commitment to the cause of liberty. If my government do not share my views – which I doubt highly – then it should at least be known that I am not a malignant presence in this kingdom; I am not adverse to freedom and an end to tyranny and, with God as my witness, I pledge to do all I can to continue to be worthy of such mantles.

~Édouard-Alexandre Blair
First Minister of His Majesty's Government

Last edited:
Minister Blair; if indeed, your words are truthful, and your proposal to amend the suffrage was made out of genuine concern, then we have no quarrel. Then, we are simply two men whose opinions about the execution of similar ideals differ... significantly. I cannot imagine how a Feuillant appointed by the King can desire equality while supporting the privilege of birth right. Similarly, I cannot imagine how you support liberty while allowing said King to appoint generals, admirals, bureaucrats, politicians, and yourself in a show of undemocratic dictatorship. This, however, is but my personal opinion.

Fact is that you are the head of a large cabinet, appointed by the King. In such a position, you are responsible for the actions of your ministers and your representatives in the Estates. It is easy to propose an amendment, and to support it in the knowledge that your seat is but one of many. This is even easier in the knowledge that your ministers wield the dagger which could stab its passage in the back. Yet the First Minister is responsible for his cabinet. So should your proposal fail in the Estates due to a Feuillant vote, by coincidence or malice, I shall hold you personally accountable for the outcome.

Too long have politics been conducted over the heads over the people. It is time to put an end to that malpractise.

I did not ask to be appointed First Minister, Monsieur. Indeed, of things were as I wished then I would not have been appointed at all. Instead, I would have been elected by my fellow party members to a position of leadership and then won the First Ministry by right of commanding the largest partisan faction in this Assembly. It saddens me deeply that you are so cynical and distrusting of everything I say that the fact that you assume I support the ancient notion of birthright takes precedence over anything else I say in your eyes. It is perhaps worth noting that, as the sixth son of a Marquess who constantly shunned me in favour of elder sons, I haven't been too enamoured with the tradition in my 28 years on this earth.

Is the ever-looking spectre of malice the price one must pay for eloquence? Would you prefer that I spoke as if I were born on the streets of Paris, Monsieur? Perhaps you forget that I wasn't born in Paris. I wasn't born in France – or even mainland Europe, for that matter. I was born in a country with a monarch and a virtually non-existent republican tradition. Even the most fervent radicals in Britain will direct abuse at Parliament and swear loyalty to the Crown. This is something that, again you choose not to consider. I do not desire to retain the Crown because I like the idea of bringing back the nobility and serfdom. I see a monarch as a potentially unifying figure who can provide a stability that no elected figurehead can. A President changes every few years. How can this be unifying? People will rally behind a man only for him to be voted out of office or forced out or stabbed in the back or somesuch only years later! What then? To whom do we turn? Who is the constant?

If you think that I propose reforming legislation out of some mercenary desire for personal gain, then fine, you may hold that opinion. I am beginning to feel that nothing I can say would convince you of the contrary, and would likely only alienate you further from my cause – which, I might add, is largely your own. How on earth you get the impression that this job is easy, I don't know. I can only assume that I present a very collected front – no doubt only displaying further my emotional detachment from the people. Hold me accountable for anything you like. I shan't complain.

~Blair​

Local Government Act: Aye

[Feuillant]

~ Adolphe Beauchene, Archbishop of Paris

((On Vacation, or I would have posted more))

((Expect a budget from me tonight. I've just had quite a busy few days, sorry for holding things up.))

Very briefly dropping in:

The Mayor of Paris and the Commander-in-Chief of the National Guard are elected directly by the Commune and the Guard respectively and so will be decided depending on their interests.

Also, due to the entrenchment clause in the Constitution, there is no grounds for altering the Constitution and so adopting unqualified suffrage will require a new constitution.

La Cordeliers

Issue I

b8.jpg

What are we attempting to build in the fatherland? Today we are still ruled by the whim of an incompetent tyrant who has filled the cabinet with his royalist puppets. France has sacrificed too many heroes to accept this state of affairs! Now we are faced with the Local Government Act which on the surface is a sensible act of reform establishing greater efficiency throughout the nation. But what is the true reason for this legislation?

France is still divided between loyalty to the Monarchy and those who seek liberty. Here in Paris where the power and decadence of the King is felt the strongest we know the truth. The truth that the King and his decadent Austrian wife has no interest in governing the nation in the interest of its people. Indeed the Local Government Act in truth seeks to legitimize the royalist tyranny through the election of the rural peasantry and clergy that still support its corrupt rule.

Even now the majority of the legislature has voted Oui for this piece of legislation which would effectively stop Our Revolution in its tracks. We cannot allow this crime against Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité to persist. I call on the people of Cordeliers, of Paris, to stand together as a Phyrgian Guard against the impending death of the Revolution!

People's ability to read such nonsense into things never ceases to amaze.

~Blair

The people are still waiting for unrestricted suffrage, the entrenchment clause is a problem of course and I would like to know from Minister Blair how is he planning to overcome such an unpleasant interference. I urge the good people of Paris to stay strong in their fight as the national assembly might be close to ensure that the gains of the Revolutions won't be lost.

- André Bouchard

I did not ask to be appointed First Minister, Monsieur. Indeed, of things were as I wished then I would not have been appointed at all. Instead, I would have been elected by my fellow party members to a position of leadership and then won the First Ministry by right of commanding the largest partisan faction in this Assembly. It saddens me deeply that you are so cynical and distrusting of everything I say that the fact that you assume I support the ancient notion of birthright takes precedence over anything else I say in your eyes. It is perhaps worth noting that, as the sixth son of a Marquess who constantly shunned me in favour of elder sons, I haven't been too enamoured with the tradition in my 28 years on this earth.

We assume because you answered the call of the King to serve at the highest position in the State, to serve as an instrument of his oppression. Your story is very sad monsieur, it must be difficult to live in a palace and not be loved by your wealthy family. But there are many in France whose father, whose mother, whose sisters and brothers and friends who have died for the Revolution. They have died crushed under the weight of an incompetent king whose reign has seen terrible famine and suffering.

Is the ever-looking spectre of malice the price one must pay for eloquence? Would you prefer that I spoke as if I were born on the streets of Paris, Monsieur? Perhaps you forget that I wasn't born in Paris. I wasn't born in France – or even mainland Europe, for that matter. I was born in a country with a monarch and a virtually non-existent republican tradition.

No we would prefer that our First Minister was from France and who have shared in the sufferings of the people. Instead the King places a emigre with no understanding of spirit of the fatherland, of its culture in that position. Why are you even here?

Even the most fervent radicals in Britain will direct abuse at Parliament and swear loyalty to the Crown. This is something that, again you choose not to consider. I do not desire to retain the Crown because I like the idea of bringing back the nobility and serfdom. I see a monarch as a potentially unifying figure who can provide a stability that no elected figurehead can. A President changes every few years. How can this be unifying? People will rally behind a man only for him to be voted out of office or forced out or stabbed in the back or somesuch only years later! What then? To whom do we turn? Who is the constant?

Yes and this is why you must go. Now you have shown your true colors, you wish to restore the old order one way or the other. Nobles fight for themselves, they murder and steal from their serfs. A Republic allows the people to change their leadership when the established leadership proves stupid and dangerous to their happiness. The old order is based on the absurd notion that virtue and talent comes from established bloodlines but the reign of the current king shows this is objectively not true. Your arrogance and ignorance shall be coming to an end.
If you think that I propose reforming legislation out of some mercenary desire for personal gain, then fine, you may hold that opinion. I am beginning to feel that nothing I can say would convince you of the contrary, and would likely only alienate you further from my cause – which, I might add, is largely your own. How on earth you get the impression that this job is easy, I don't know. I can only assume that I present a very collected front – no doubt only displaying further my emotional detachment from the people. Hold me accountable for anything you like. I shan't complain.

Now you cry that your job is too difficult. Perhaps because you have no understanding of the French spirit and of our culture. Not the culture of the corrupt aristocracy but the culture of the people who make up the majority of the society. The government must be of the people, for the people, with virtue and talent.

The people are still waiting for unrestricted suffrage, the entrenchment clause is a problem of course and I would like to know from Minister Blair how is he planning to overcome such an unpleasant interference. I urge the good people of Paris to stay strong in their fight as the national assembly might be close to ensure that the gains of the Revolutions won't be lost.

- André Bouchard

I propose we rip up the constitution and write another.

How can we continue to legislate under a constitution which implicitly forbids the average Frenchman to choose his representative in the Estates, as well as explicitly prohibiting us to alter any clause? As long as this situation persists, France cannot be united. I strongly urge the government to address the issue, one way or another, lest we need call upon one uninfringeable popular right: the right of revolution.

Ripping up the constitution would be a most admirable solution.

I can certainly agree. however I don't know if the King and your Feuillant colleagues will accept to follow you.

- André Bouchard
A confidant of the King speaks up, saying that His Majesty would approve of writing a new constitution with universal popular suffrage, as long as the essential institutions of the state, and the already quite limited prerogatives of His Majesty, are faithfully retained.

((Syriana, I have a long IC for you, but won't be able to put it up until tomorrow. Can you please allow the election to not close until I IC?))

Gentlemen, let me say that I fully supported the proposed "Suffrage Act". In light of the problems with the current constitution, it is clear that a new one must be created to remedy its errors.

~ Rene Leon

640px-BattleOfVirginiaCapes.jpg

French Navy in battle with their nemesis, the British, painting that decorated the office of all Secretaries of State for Navy since Count Jacques de Nogaret-Lefebvre's term.

A bosun’s whistle broke the silence over the piers in Brest’s military wharf. The sea was strangely calm in these days and the cold winds blowing from the Atlantic were exceptionally calm. As one of the officers noted, everything seemed to be somehow inverted - the mainland was way more turbulent in the last few weeks than the usually very dangerous sea. The crew of Dauphin Royal, officers, petty officers, sailors and marines alike, was lined up, awaiting the important visit from Paris. But as the whistle has announced, their waiting was over right in this very moment. The three men, two of them wearing shiny white uniforms and one of them wearing a dark blue jacket, entered the board. The two officers were Admiral d’Estaing, commander of the Atlantic Fleet, and Capitaine de vaisseau Villeneuve, commander of Dauphin Royal, which happened to be d’Estaing’s flagship. Even though most ships now used the tricolour, right above Admiral’s flag, the white flag was flying – or rather hanging in the calm. The third man entering the board of Dauphin Royal, Secretary of State for Navy and known Royalist Count de Nogaret-Lefevbvre, has indeed noted that.

- Dauphin Royal is a brand new ship, the fitting out was finished just weeks ago. It’s a three decker, and carries over 100 cannons of different calibres. We have fired the cannons only once, and indeed it is an impressive sight. I hoped that we would be able to demonstrate the destructive power of this beast on the high seas, but the weather isn’t really our friend today. Still, this ship will outmatch anything on the other side of the channel. And – Three more are now being built here and in Toulon, giving us six excellent ships of the line that could easily send any foe right to the Davy Jones’s locker...

Count de Nogaret-Lefebvre smiled when Admiral d’Estaing mentioned the “other side of the channel”.

Charles_Henri_Jean-Baptiste%2C_Comte_d%27Estaing_%281729-94%29_%28par_Jean-Pierre_Franque%29.jpg

Portrait of Admiral Charles Henri Jean-Baptiste, Comte d'Estaing, by Jean-Pierre Franque

- Excellent Admiral, the government in Paris will be pleased by your loyalty to the Crown and France. I have to admit that the development in Paris is still like a keg of gunpowder ready to explode, but there are enough brave sailors like myself who are loyal to the Crown and not to the mob. I am pleased to know that at least some officers share my beliefs, Admiral.

- I am no man of politics Sir, I only serve my country to my best. Still, I hear that the Parisians are planning to get rid of our King and adopt the American system, and I can’t but oppose that thought...

- I understand, Admiral. I understand... You keep the British away from us, and I shall keep the mobs out of the palaces and cathedrals. I only fear – are the men still loyal to the Crown or did the revolutionary madness spread even here?

- The men are loyal. We do our best to prevent revolutionary leaflets and leftist press corrupting the minds of our sailors, and the few attempts to distribute those were swiftly ended by Bosun’s whip. The officers are indeed loyal, but they fear prosecution... They feel helpless; they are stuck here while the battle for our future is fought without them. But still, they are ready to lay their lives for King and France...

- I understand. I was already informed that the officer corps are undermanned, and I am indeed going to propose to the Estates to take a better look at the problems of our navy. So, would you and Captain Villeneuve mind to show me the gun decks?

Count de Nogaret then had a tour through the newest and mightiest ship of the line French Navy had. Amazed by the sheer size and by the fighting capabilities described by Captain Villeneuve, Count promised the officers to use all of his influence to get the funding for 2 more battleships with over 100 guns on board and several smaller frigates and ships of the line.

When de Nogaret-Lefebvre returned, he addressed the parliament:

Gentlemen,

I just had the honour to visit the port of Brest and the Atlantic Fleet there, and while I have to say I was impressed by the current stance of the navy, by its battle readiness and the loyalty to the Crown, these brave men are facing a very hard time right now. With the officer staff in desperate need of more men and delayed shipbuilding programme, our naval superiority is at the risk. And I have to remind you that the political situation is threatening – with all the instability caused by the radicalism (Count de Nogaret gave an angry look to all Jacobins and Cordeliers), England may seize the opportunity to take our lands in the West Indies or Africa. I mind you, do not let the political bickering in here endanger our nation and consider locating more funds to the treasury of our navy. If we are to keep the British out of our lands and our seas, we need a force capable of both deterrence and destruction, and to achieve such force, the training of our officers needs to be improved both in the means of time invested and the quality of our leadership. I therefore propose to expand the state naval academy and, furthermore, I would like the parliament to allow for two more large ships of the line to be built in Toulon and Brest, several additional ships of the line and a fleet of escort frigates. France must be protected, and the navy is the only barrier that keeps the British from invading Normandy and our lands. Our independence is at stake, and no politician should be allowed to gamble with the fate of France itself.

((To avoid any further confusions: This is meant to happen prior to my dismissal from the office, but I had some time issues preventing me from finishing this earlier.))

Last edited: