• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
240px-The_french_tricolor_cockade.svg.png

Armée française
mettre à jour, Octobre 1792(Mise à jour)

Secrétariat guerre

Secrétaire d'État à la Guerre: Général d'armée Jacques Nazaire Aulard
Sous-secrétaire d'État à la Guerre: Général de brigade Emmanuel-Philippe du Plessis
Aide-de-camp: Colonel Boniface Sainte-Dévote

état major

Chef d'état-major général: Vacant
Chef adjoint d'état-major général: Vacant
Inspecteur général: Vacant

armées

Commandant de l'armée du Rhin: Général de brigade Charles-Pierre-François Augereau
-Commandant du Corps de Cavalerie: Colonel Jean Absolon Guillory
-Commandant du Corps d'artillerie: Colonel Emmanuel-Philippe du Plessis
Commandant de l'armée de l'Alsace: Général de brigade Valérian Lémieux
Commandant de l'Armée du Centre: Général de brigade Javert Valjean
Commandant de la Garde nationale: Commandement direct du secrétariat à la Guerre

__________________________​

d'abord, with the arrest of Général de division Ignace Louis de Loiollac on suspicion of counter-revolutionary activities, he is hereby dismissed from his command over the Armée d'Alsace. Général de brigade Valérian Lémieux has been appointed to succeed him and with that the Armée de réserve is merged with the Armée d'Alsace.

deuxièmement, all men serving in the Garde nationale that participated in the events of Tuileries are hereby dismissed permanently and I hereby issue arrest warrants for them so that they may face court martial for their actions.

troisièmement, the Garde suisse is hereby disbanded and all members of it are to be arrested to face court martial for their actions at Tuileries.

enfin, France has suffered a few defeats recently on the battlefield and whilst this is most unfortunate and is definitely a cause for some concern, it must always be noted that wars are not won in days and that victories are not always assured. But what I can assure the people of France are that if we stand together, if we all rise up to fight back the invaders that we will triumph, that our revolution will be saved and that we shall live in prosperity forever!

Sur la note finale et sombre réelle, there has been public discussion about my failures as both a Mayor and as the Secretary of State for War, and I can fully understand the concerns owing to the events that have recently transpired. I give my greatest apologies to the people of Paris for my failures to prevent the events at Tuileries and for our losses on the battlefield. I do feel that I can rectify some of my mistakes and that I can most certainly learn from them. People of France, if you ask me to resign, I shall do so, but I ask you give me the chance to show my dedication and my abilities to our cause and to you.

Votre concitoyen, patriote et ami,
Jacques Nazaire Aulard

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

ORDINANCES OF DUKE REGARDING THE ONSET OF SHORTAGES IN THE LAND
To All the Holdings of the Maison du Plessis

To the Stewards of the du Plessis Estates,
Take heed and implement the following emergency measures:​

The granaries and storehouses of the du Plessis domains are hereby ordered immediately opened with the contents therein to be distributed amongst the inhabitants of the estates.

Rationing of food and supplies is to commence throughout the holdings of the Maison du Plessis , under the aegis of the various stewards and functionaries in the Household’s employ, for the purpose of mitigating the effects of famine and preventing both hoarding and overconsumption.

Labour on the demesne is to continue with renewed vigour, with aims of increased production. Local clergy as asked to give special dispensation for the able-bodied to work on Sundays.

Fees for the use of seigniorial mills are suspended. The grinding of grain shall have no cost. Moreover, bakeries throughout the estates shall receive a subsidy from the Duke’s treasury, to support the continued production of bread at affordable prices.

These ordinances are to be brought immediately into effect.

SIGNED:

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Comte de Cosnac, et de Chinon
Baron de Barbezieux, de Cozes, et de Saujon
Pair de France
Sous-Sécretariat d’État à la Guerre
Géneral de Brigade

240px-The_french_tricolor_cockade.svg.png

Armée française
mettre à jour, Octobre 1792(Mise à jour)
The quick and decisive actions of the Minister of War once again prove his ability and dedication to the Revolution, this should appease all those who rashly called for his resignation. I fully support his actions against the butchers of the Tuileries and hope that under his leadership we will stop the Austrian aggression once and for all!

- André Bouchard, Secretary of State of the Navy

"Check the legislation again, it has been rewritten"

I did Monsieur and I still disapprove. Let us examine the details throughly in front of the assembly.

I. The National Gendarme and the Judiciary are hereby given the powers to ensure the stability of France and it's Territories against internal divisions

What does this mean? Spell out the powers that you that the National Gendarme and Judiciary require or perhaps its better said..desire..to ensure the stability of the fatherland. What are the internal divisions you speak of? The political clubs or just the royalists?

VI. Each provincial governor will be the subject of the Lieutenant-General of Police and Lord Chancellor, who shall ensure that grievous violations are dealt with

This is unacceptable, the governors should be subject to the head of state or in our current situation, the First Minister not to the police and Lord Chancellor. Once a true Republic is formed we will have a separation of powers that will hinder such disgusting and obvious grabs for power.

VII. The Lord Chancellor can remove any judge or magistrate without warning if proper reasoning is given

This effectively puts the Lord Chancellor in a position of absolute power over the entire legal system of the Nation! I request that a detailed process of acceptable procedures be provided to the legislature with checks and balances on the Lord Chancellor and the Judiciary in regard to the removal of judges and magistrates...and I might as well include governors to get a full understanding of this stain on the emblem of human freedom.

Monsieur you blatantly attempt to pass such piece of trash legislation, an act that would cut the legs right under the Revolution yet you simply respond to my arguments with condescending demands to look at it again. I've studied the pieces of legislation proposed here for hours, throughout the night and into the morning. Your campaign for the Stability Act will fail one way or the other Parent.

VIII. The Lieutenant-General of Police can remove any police chief without warning if proper reasoning is given

My same argument against article VII applies here.

IX. Any citizen may complain to the local magistrate if a grievous abuse of authority occurs

Again whats the legal process for this. Your attempts at placating the true Revolutionaries are lazy and failing.

X. All arrested citizens must be tried before a judge and a jury of at least three men

Who will these men be? I support the inclusion of women into every facet of our society as well. Also what's the process for choosing the jury? I propose that ten citizens be recruited at random from the same community as the citizen on trial to serve in the in exchange for adequate compensation. I would be willing to work together with you on establishing costs if you wish.

Also, I still demand that all trials be fair and open, that all arrests be made public within a period of one week.

As you know the Secretary to the King of the French has issued a warrant against the arch-traitor Marie-Antoinette for her Counter-Revolutionary activity. The French Navy will do what it can to help the National authorities in the arrest of this Austrian spy and stop her from further fomenting rebellion against the Revolution and the state.

In light the current economic crisis plaguing the people of the fatherland, I propose the following.

Act To Stabilize The Fatherland and Safeguard Its Citizens
I. All royalists shall surrender their property (and food, firearms, and valuables) to the State so that we may distribute it to the starving masses and liquidated for additional funds. Firearms and weapons shall be sent to the Army of the Rhine.
II. All churches must either pay half their annual income to the State for the duration of the war OR come under the legal direction of the Ministry of the Interior in order to appropriately distribute food and aid to their communities.
III. Funds shall be appropriated to establish the Committee of Merit
Sub I - This committee shall begin the process of advancing the meritocracy that a Republic of Virtue requires for nourishment.
Sub II- Civil servants and soldiers of all ranks shall be recommended for positions of responsibility and leadership citizens who are directly affected by the individuals actions. Within a military unit, the individual must have at least ten individuals who serve with or under them to send letters of recommendation to the Committee. Civil servants must have a petition signed by at least 500 citizens within the geographical location of which the individual in question serves.
Sub III - All records necessary for reviewing the merit and character of citizens to be repurposed or promoted shall be gathered by the Committee
Sub IV - For the illiterate, an individual who can read and write shall be provided for with open ears.
IV. In order to ease the suffering of the people, I propose a conscription wave system in which we can ration our manpower and allow for periods of rest for thousands who will undoubtedly be fighting for quite awhile.
V. All excessive shelters belonging to the Church and Aristocracy shall be made available for the homeless with food stations provided.
VI. A morale campaign shall be instituted to inspire the people onward toward Liberty and Republic.

I wish to present the following act as an addition to Parént's bill, On the Possession and Distribution of Food Stuffs. The purpose of the act is to avoid the ruthless suppression of the desperate peasants who were forced to attack Aristocratic properties in search for food while also enlarging our army, strengthening us against the vile Austrian marauders.

Amnesty to the Famished Act

I. All those who committed the crime of banditry before the passing of this act are hereby completely pardoned.

II. All those who will commit the crime of banditry after the passing of this act, and will therefore be arrested, will be allowed to choose between normal punishment and forced conscription in the Army. Should the arrested choose conscription then his family will be rewarded by the army with a supply of food sufficient for their survival.

III. All those who will join the army, by volunteering or through conscription, may renounce to half of their normal pay in exchange of a regular food supply to their families by the army, sufficient for their survival.
Hopefully this will further boost the number of volunteers that join our Revolutionary Army.

Horrified by the continued instability sweeping across France and Paris, even in the face of invasion, the Duke of Orléans quickly wrote a letter to the Marquis de Lafeyette.

Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de La Fayette

The recent events in Paris have merely slowed down those who would destroy France. They cannot be allowed to proceed with their actions and must be stopped, it is obvious though that outside Paris they have very little support and as such we must move to ensure the King is safe and the city looses the massive importance it has played in the Revolution so far. I have secured a significant amount of artillery and other weapons in the Palais-Royal, I suggest you immediately move the National and Swiss Guards to secure the weapons and then move to secure the King and bring him to the Chateau de Saint Cloud as it is obvious he is not safe in Paris. From there we can plan our next move.

Louis Philippe II, Duke of Orléans and Regent of France

Horrified by the continued instability sweeping across France and Paris, even in the face of invasion, the Duke of Orléans quickly wrote a letter to the Marquis de Lafeyette.
((Since you posted this on the main thread I assume that the letter eventually leaked to the public, right?))

((Since you posted this on the main thread I assume that the letter eventually leaked to the public, right?))

((No, it went straight to La Fayette, after that if he starts moving it may get leaked but I'd suggest waiting for Syriana to say something first))

((I don't support his cause IC, but that seems quite a broad assumption.))

((though the update sais lafayette is hiding in specter place not in command of the guard still, second didnt most if not all the royal guard went with the queeen?))

Letter sent to officers of the carabineer guard and trusted people in Paris from Javert Valjean

I have got information and rumors that situation in Paris is deteriorating. You know the protocol in such occasion, start mobilizing the members and be in awareness may our people need to make a move in order to safe guard the revolution, for i fear time to do our duty is near.

Apparently Lafayette is still free. We can't let this butcher of the People to flee and join forces with his ally Marie-Antoinette in Brittany, he must be found and arrested at once!

La Phrygian - Issue IV

Distributed Freely By Club de Phrygian

Critique sur la Famine

et ses

Conséquences sur la Révolution

By Antoine Durand ,"votre paladin de la liberté"

As Minister of Finance, I have seen the reports from the Interior Minister and they're quite grim. I've read personal letters from soldiers on the front asking about their relatives, asking when food shipments will arrive, and of course asking when we will march on toward the heart of the German Imperium, and tear out its heart. But despite the spirit of Liberty urging our soldiers at the frontiers also share the heaviest burden of the war against the German slave armies. We must remember their predicament and have strength that food rations are forthcoming to all corners of the fatherland. Unfortunately the famine is simply the cause of our rough journey ahead, it is my sorrowful duty to announce that the current government is being sabotaged by the efforts of the War Minister Aulard and the Would Be Tyrant Lieutenant-General of Police, Vincent Parént.

From desperation, emotional exhaustion, or perhaps more sinister of causes these men have led us to ruin on the frontier of the Fatherland! It was Aulard that sent our armies poorly informed having received only precious hours to prepare for war with the veteran Austrian dogs. While Monsieur Aulard is busy leading our armies to ruin, the monsieur Parent has proposed twice legislation that is copied further on in this publication that would have thousands of his friends burn the Bill of Rights to ashes in the streets. I'm speaking of course of the Stability Act which was softened in Vincent Parent's second attempt to have it passed. The people have for too long endured tyrants and I refuse to let the nation fall to their bully militias.

It is important that the "Great Fear" inspires in us Great Courage, let us remember the heroics of Antiquity, let us remember the heroics of 1789, that fateful day when we the people set off on the great trek toward an Enlightened Civilization. Let us also honor the heroes of the Army of the Rhine who bravely fought against all the odds against the Austrian pigs at Sedan by living in a true Republican way.
The Life of French Virtue consists not only of ideals but direct actions.
I. Calm, so that we may face each day with the purest of energies and motives
II. Courage, so that we shall be able to make the first step
III. Resolution, so that we finish what we start
IV. Sacrifice, so that the nation shall overcome the obstacles blocking our destiny as French people
V. Efficiency, so that food, money, and resources are not wasted on petty and large things
VI. Hard Work, like the farmers in the fields we must labor in building the new society, tyrants win because their enemies tire easily
VII. Fraternity, the nation is only strong when it stands together
VIII. Devotion, without the full energies of the people the nation cannot stand and fight the menaces of tyranny, poverty, and hunger.

If I am reelected to the legislature and if I shall have the honor of serving the Fatherland as First Minister I shall promote a number of programs.

I. Conscription Groups, the burden of the war must be shared equally by all families
II. The execution of a campaign plan to drive the Austrians back into their wasteland of tyrants
Sub I - The importance of the the conscription program is that I intend to build the largest armies seen in centuries, an army of the people armed with the best weapons and leaders promoted by the basis of their merit and character to smash the German feudal armies. They do not have the support of their people, people willing to fight by the tens of thousands.
Sub II - The liberation of the German people who have lived and died under generations of Monarchs
Sub III - The successful conclusion of the war with the Germans in favorable terms for the Fatherland
III. Agricultural Reform
Sub I - The acquisition and redistribution of absentee landlords properties to people elected by communities connected to said land
Sub II - The redistribution of food from royalist groups and forces to the rural peasantry and urban dwellers.
Sub III - State program to provide new tools and methods to isolated farming communities
Sub IV - The lowering of property taxes by half for families who have one son fighting in the Revolutionary Army
IV. The elimination of corrupt and traitorous officials

The Tuileries,
The Kingdom of France

Now, the letter on his desk was an extremely interesting one. First a man had appeared at the main entrance into the Palace. He was dressed in the common clothes of a Parisian and claimed that he had a very important letter from the Duke of Orleans that had to be delivered. Paternoster's servants, who were staffed at each entrance to avoid trouble with hooligans, very politely asked for the letter and promised that it would be delivered. The man refused. This in and of itself was worrisome and the man's intentions became immediately less trustworthy. Fearing that his purpose for being there was altogether less than healthy for the palace inhabitant the servants told the man to leave. Grumbling, he did so.

And perhaps forty-five minutes later, returned dressed in the full livery of the Duke of Orleans and bearing his seal. Fully convinced of his legitimacy, he was allowed inside. However word that a messenger of the Regent had arrived bearing an important letter had obviously not taken long to reach the ears of the Royal Secretary; and he soon quietly intercepted the man to ask for the letter. He had assumed that it was for him, as who else would it be for? For better or ill Francisque St Denis-Paternoster was the power behind the throne and the effective master of the Tuileries. It was only natural to assume that the Regent would be communicating with him. Which was why he was rather taken aback when the man refused to give it to him.

"What do you mean, the letter isn't for me?"

"The letter isn't for you, sir."

Francisque stared at him for a moment.

"When who is it for?"

The man looked back at him and remained noncommittal.

"Now look here, you; as Royal Secre-"

At that moment the man attempted to dash off, but there wasn't really anywhere he could go and he was swiftly overtaken by two servants who carried him back. One of them handed Francisque the letter, which he had fished from an interior pocket in the man's clothing. Normally such extremes weren't needed, but this was an unusual case. The furtive actions of the man combined with the illustrious post of the man who had sent him all added up to an exceptionally suspicious situation and Francisque's interest in the letter now extended beyond the merely propitiatory. Upon politely escorting the Duke's servant out, Francisque read the letter and then indulged in a stiff drink.

"Louise!"

"Yes, sir?" inquired Louise; Francisque's own servant.

"Summon a representative of the War Secretariat please. We have things to discuss."

QAs2YW6.png

RICHELIEU
VÉRITÉ SANS PEUR

RESPONSE TO THE PROPOSED Act to Stabilise the Fatherland and Safeguard Its Citizens

Despite its innocuous title, it is feared that the the proposed legislation in its current form would serve only to destabilise the country and plunge France deeper into famine.

First, even if we were to set aside the premise that some individual political beliefs can be regarded as criminal – a notion reminiscent of the Ancien Regime— the absence of a statutory definition of the term “royalist” ensures that the proposed legislation is prone to immense misinterpretation and abuse.

Second, the seizure of private property is not the solution to hunger and poverty. No one can eat the sculptures and portraits which adorn the great houses of the French Aristocracy. Indeed, many of the people have no money to buy a loaf of bread let alone purchase the gemstones and pearls of the French Grandees. Simply, there is no one in France to buy these requisitioned goods. Is the French State to become a pawn broker? Seeking to bankrupt our domestic landed families so that foreign aristocrats may benefit from wholesale prices on precious treasures carted out from every château in the land? Surely not!

Third, Pretexts for taking away someone’s property are never wanting. And he who has once begun to live by robbery will always find pretexts for seizing what belongs to others. It would come as no surprise if further attacks on the Aristocracy and Clergy where to lose for the revolution many of those who have hitherto remained supportive of moderate change, for men more quickly forget the death of their father than the loss of their patrimony.

Fourth, there is a long-standing tradition amongst the French aristocracy known as noblesse oblige. Noble families throughout the country have opened their granaries and continue in their time-honoured way to give alms to the poor, providing relief wherever they can. Indeed, it is in the Royalists strongholds where the nobility and clergy have been so charitable in these troubled times that the regions’ inhabitants are endeared to their landlords to the point of risking their own lives in their defence. The peasants, in many cases, love their resident nobles and priests. We cannot allow ourselves to be ideologically blinded to these realities.

With an Austrian invasion, and with Paris on the verge of chaos, and in the midst of famine, we somehow imagine that the Government in Paris can project its will throughout France when the King, at the zenith of his absolutism, could not do so. It is one thing for the revolution to be idealistic, it is quite another for us to be naïve.

We cannot presume that the powerful nobles and clergy throughout France will simply hand over their food, weapons and treasure because of a piece of paper from Paris demands it. When they refuse, we will have succeeded only in highlighting the sheer impotence of the Central Government outside the walls of the Capital.

Noting that legislators seem so eager to adopt the same repressive and heavy-handed techniques that we resented in the old-order, perhaps we can take a page from the monarchical handbook and adopt a technique that has been successful for countless centuries.

The Church and Nobility have been the instruments though which the Crown has projected power and exercised authority throughout France. These institutions have been standing since the birth of our nation, and though their foundations are quaking, they are by no means crumbling. They have survived greater tremors than the ones which shake our land.

The proposed Act to Stabilise the Fatherland and Safeguard its Citizens has certain virtues which should not go unnoticed. Its intent to provide famine relief ought to be praised. It is on the issue of implementation that the act can revised and strengthened.

Rather than adopting an antagonistic approach towards the clergy and nobility, a conciliatory tone may prove more successful in addressing what is surely the chief purpose of the act: to provide famine relief. With neither the expertise in the running of estates, nor even the knowledge of which areas are most affected by the recent famine, the Central Government cannot set out to meddle in as important a subject as food-production, and, if it were to attempt the task, would, by a series of blunders, plunge the country deeper into starvation.

Thought it may seem unthinkable to some, it is not unreasonable to consider establishing at the very least a modus vivendi with the aristocracy and clergy. Their networks are already in place, their staff are already at work. Perhaps the State can have a hand in supporting these existing institutions as a means of bringing relief to the people. Therefore, I invite members of the government to consider legislation that would enable us to first determine which areas have been most affected by the famine, and which areas can perhaps spare a portion of their harvest to be sent in relief elsewhere.

I. The Baillie (in then North) and Seneschal (in the South) in the employ on estate belonging to the Nobility and Clergy of France are to submit an emergency report to the Central Government in Paris detailing:
a. the quality and quantity of the harvest;
b. existing supplies of foodstuffs (including livestock* and poultry)
Sub I. *horses will be regarded as exempt from livestock supplies;
c. existing supplies of farming equipment;
d. anticipated needs (if any) of articles B and C;
e. estimates as to the length of time before food stockpiles expire at both full and half-rations;
f. availability of able-bodied persons engaged in farming or related agricultural labour;
g. assessment of the implementation of rationing on the estate.

II. Subsequent bi-annual reports are to be provided to Paris on the same.

III. In compensation for this additional undertaking, the Central Government shall provide livres totalling 5% of the salary of the Baillie or Seneschal, as set by the nobleman or clergyman by whose estate the functionary is employed.

Rather than proceeding with land-seizures and ideologically motivated reprisals against the clergy, let us focus on first understanding the nature of the famine which is spreading throughout the country and formulate a policy of relief accordingly.

SIGNED:

PBBXT8p.png

DUC DE RICHELIEU
Prince de Montagne
Duc de Fronsac
Marquis du Pont-Courlay
Comte de Cosnac, et de Chinon
Baron de Barbezieux, de Cozes, et de Saujon
Pair de France
Sous-Sécretariat d’État à la Guerre
Géneral de Brigade

Last edited:
What does this mean? Spell out the powers that you that the National Gendarme and Judiciary require or perhaps its better said..desire..to ensure the stability of the fatherland. What are the internal divisions you speak of? The political clubs or just the royalists?

I leave that up to the individual police chiefs and judges. France is highly diverse in both provinces and trouble. A specific order may work for Bretange, not work for Lorraine, enrage Toulouse and incite Normandy. We need the men to be able to do their jobs fully.

This is unacceptable, the governors should be subject to the head of state or in our current situation, the First Minister not to the police and Lord Chancellor. Once a true Republic is formed we will have a separation of powers that will hinder such disgusting and obvious grabs for power.

I shall rewrite this, I meant Provincial Police Commissioner. The guy specifically in charge of all police and judicial activity in a province.

This effectively puts the Lord Chancellor in a position of absolute power over the entire legal system of the Nation! I request that a detailed process of acceptable procedures be provided to the legislature with checks and balances on the Lord Chancellor and the Judiciary in regard to the removal of judges and magistrates...and I might as well include governors to get a full understanding of this stain on the emblem of human freedom.

I will rewrite this as well, I will have it as the following: "The Government may remove any judge or judicial magistrate without warning if a proper reasoning is given and the note is written by two of the following three individuals: First Minister, Lord Chancellor or Minister of the Interior."

My same argument against article VII applies here.

I shall rewrite this as well. It shall state the following: "The Government may remove any judge or judicial magistrate without warning if a proper reasoning is given and the note is written by two of the following three individuals: First Minister, Lieutenant-General of Police or Minister of the Interior."

Again whats the legal process for this. Your attempts at placating the true Revolutionaries are lazy and failing.

It really could be anything. From a single police officer stealing a chicken to an entire jury raping a man's wife. I do not know. We are in difficult times and restrictive agendas are not the answer to complaints on why a man can complain. It can be for any reason.

Who will these men be? I support the inclusion of women into every facet of our society as well. Also what's the process for choosing the jury? I propose that ten citizens be recruited at random from the same community as the citizen on trial to serve in the in exchange for adequate compensation. I would be willing to work together with you on establishing costs if you wish.

Up to the judge, and man is shorthand. If you wish I will change it to citizens of France but that seems semantics. Sure on the rest.

Also, I still demand that all trials be fair and open, that all arrests be made public within a period of one week.

That is fine as well.

I am not the enemy you divisive rabblerouser. Nor will your publications phase me in restoring stability in France and defending the Revolution.

The changes proposed by citizen Parént seem adequate, albeit the nature of the "special powers" given to the police and the judiciary remain terribly vague. I can support this act.
My only fear is that this reform might be abused by the political faction who manage to control both the Chancellorship and the leadership of the police, since we shall already have a new government by the time this law will come into effect it shouldn't be a problem but I must stress that in the future we should avoid to handle these two powerful ministries to the same political faction, for the sake of the Republic.

Furthermore, any news of that scoundrel, Lafayette?