• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Great Artatama, son of Shuttarna II, blessed be his name, spoke to those Hurri that were loyal to him, in a chamber masked by privacy and draped in beauty.

The Lands of the Hurri desperately desire a ruler who is not plagued by the illegitimacies presented to our lands by Tushratta, the false King of Mitanni. Tushratta speaks with volume, yet his words weigh nothing, for he has stolen the seat that rightfully belongs to I, Artatama of the Hurri.

Thus, the lord Artatama of the Hurri, saw his true destiny as ordained by the Gods above. For Tushratta was not fit, no, he was not meant to rule over the people of the Hurri. Nay, he was only but a usurper, pretender to a throne that belonged by rights to the lord Artatama. The Great Artatama would have his throne, he would have his rights.

Envoys from Mitanni appear at Ugarit, bearing a tablet with a message from King Tushratta

King Ammittamru of the land of Ugarit, that lies on the sea:

O great King of those lands on the coast, may the blessings of Miitra and Aruna and Indara and all the other deathless ones, who hold power over us all, be upon you and your people. I plea to you, not for your own help, though the gods know it could be needed, but to send you a most grave warning for your domain’s own safety. The Hittites, lover of chariots, bear down from their vallies and plains to the north, in that land of Hatti, with a lust for conquest in their hearts. No less, they let the vile Artatama, false king of Mitanni, who spoke down to me in my own hall and made a wicked conspiracy upon my house, take up residence in the King of the Hurri’s palace, and tries to rain down destruction and treason upon the heads of myself and my lands. But enough of my troubles.

I will try and be tactful, o king, but compared to that land of the Pharaoh of the Sun, my good friend and husband to my sister, the King of Hatti, the Lord of Assurayu, and myself, it must be admitted, that your power is lacking. Therefore, I extend my hand in friendship to you as one king to another. My host shall defend yours, so long as yours will arrive at my gates when I call upon them. Each year, your kingdom shall send envoys to Wassukani bearing gifts ((rather small tribute to me in the stats)) to reassure that our friendship shall not waver for many, many moons. The world around us men are fickle, both in nature and in the wills of kings. No safety for yourself can be guaranteed otherwise. Your neighbors are strong and hungry.

I expect a letter of your agreement soon. Come with your tablet, for we shall celebrate in my palace with the finest mulled wine and sides of meat, luxurious oils and crafts for your own hall.

Manifest Dissatisfaction

9EHfkrd.png

The King of Alasiya reacts to the response from the King of Egypt.

“Not a single mine of lapis lazuli! A scarab, yes, and of great beauty no less, but what interest does the sea possess in the suns’s humble ferryman? How am I to honour the Mistress Tialate without proper offerings to her temple? How may an idol be made from inferior substances? Gold is splendorous, yes, but displays the tumultuous beauty of our mistress nought as well as lapis.

“Or was there some cause for dissatisfaction with my gift that could cause him to take insult? This cannot be so for I inspected with mine own eyes the copper granted to my brother! As fine a quality as can be, one thousand talents full it was. He says unto me “treasures befitting my brother”. Is this iniquity therefore a token of his ill esteem, couched amongst sweetened words and pledges of friendship?

"And on the men of Sidon; were my words unclear? Did my messenger betray me or have a head so befuddled by the wonders of a foreign land that his wits deserted him? Or does my brother think me such a miser that I should resent his children's requests? That it would bother me to deal with others? Surely not, for he says otherwise.

“If this then is how we are, fetch unto me my son. Have him journey and bring the greetings of the King of Alasiya to the men of the west; for this king’s eyes are not to be fixed upon one sun’s brightness alone.”

So are the king's words recorded by this one, humble scribe.

Last edited:
Envoys from Mitanni appear at Ugarit, bearing a tablet with a message from King Tushratta

King Ammittamru of the land of Ugarit, that lies on the sea:

O great King of those lands on the coast, may the blessings of Miitra and Aruna and Indara and all the other deathless ones, who hold power over us all, be upon you and your people. I plea to you, not for your own help, though the gods know it could be needed, but to send you a most grave warning for your domain’s own safety. The Hittites, lover of chariots, bear down from their vallies and plains to the north, in that land of Hatti, with a lust for conquest in their hearts. No less, they let the vile Artatama, false king of Mitanni, who spoke down to me in my own hall and made a wicked conspiracy upon my house, take up residence in the King of the Hurri’s palace, and tries to rain down destruction and treason upon the heads of myself and my lands. But enough of my troubles.

I will try and be tactful, o king, but compared to that land of the Pharaoh of the Sun, my good friend and husband to my sister, the King of Hatti, the Lord of Assurayu, and myself, it must be admitted, that your power is lacking. Therefore, I extend my hand in friendship to you as one king to another. My host shall defend yours, so long as yours will arrive at my gates when I call upon them. Each year, your kingdom shall send envoys to Wassukani bearing gifts ((rather small tribute to me in the stats)) to reassure that our friendship shall not waver for many, many moons. The world around us men are fickle, both in nature and in the wills of kings. No safety for yourself can be guaranteed otherwise. Your neighbors are strong and hungry.

I expect a letter of your agreement soon. Come with your tablet, for we shall celebrate in my palace with the finest mulled wine and sides of meat, luxurious oils and crafts for your own hall.

When the Envoys from Mitanni were received by the gracious King of Ugarit, a great feast was held for them. Then, when the feasting was done, the envoys were sent back with Ugarit envoys and their stone tablets.

And lo, the tablets brough before the mighty King of Mitanni read as followed:

"Peace to you O great King Tushratta of Mitanni. Our people graciously accept your protection and strength in these times. We have sent with the envoys fine Ugarit goods as a gift to you mighty King. May the peace between our two great nations last a thousand years."

King Tushratta calls for the annual assembly of the vassal kings and nobles of Mitanni. He appears before them on his throne, decked out in his regalia and surrounded by various luxurious objects and slaves:

“Hear me, o gracious tributaries. Hear me, o lords of my realm and the gods on high. Many praises be upon my firstborn son Arparaharina, and his brothers Karantainna, Daharushgadu, and Sula-annu. Praises too to my wife and concubines, my five daughters with lovely braids, Tadukhipa among them, spouse of Pharaoh, and to my sister Gilukhipa, who calls that great king a husband, too. Praises to my other brothers and sisters, and my distant relatives who are loyal to gods’ will and my rule. May the gods smile upon my noble tributaries who are in attendance here in my halls. Praises to all you other Kings of the West and the envoys and emissaries of those tribute-paying tribes of the mountains and the lords of the houses of this kingdom.

As my father did before me, as did his, down the ages, I call all of you to my court once again this year so that we may talk of the issues of this realm. All of us here know of the treachery of the King of Hatti and his harboring of the traitor Artatama, who I am ashamed of sharing blood with. That man would like to see himself King, yes, but under the rule of Tudhaliya. Vile Artatama has tried to harm me and my family many times, but failed by the gods’ grace and fled to Hattusa. There, he is a good friend of Tudhaliya, or so I’ve heard. Therefore, my noble tribute-bearing kings, I warn all of you of a host from the north. War may come, and Hatti will bear down upon us in their chariots and with a multitude of soldiers, fearsome men with their long spears in the name of cursed Artatama. I ask of you all: If the Hatti wage war upon us, shall you fight? If they come to see me fall, then you all will surely become subjects of theirs. I think of myself as a good master, but will the Hatti King be?

Furthermore, it is a time for a campaign of our own. In those mountainous lands known as Alshe, the kings there raid my borders, killing my subjects and robbing them of their wealth. It is time that they are brought to heel, and bow before Mitanni and her tributaries. I intend to pursue this expedition with my own men, but I request of you all to be ready to send your strong warriors if need be.

That is all I will say for today. Let us feast, enjoy wine, and make merry, and continue our assembly tomorrow, as it will be for the rest of this moon."

Last edited:
The Lord Artatama, Ruler of the Hurri speaks before a gathering of indecisive Hurri nobles.

The False Idol Tushratta is man more fit to lay with goats than with men, for his nature is animalistic, and his appearance is that of a swine. His breath is one that carries the scent of death, and every time his decrepit mouth opens, swarms of locusts swarm out! For Tushratta is blessed by those who are evil in nature, vile in spirit. He is a servant of those that would see the Mitanni crumble, and yet he pretends to be divine. For only a trickers, only a beguiler such as Tushratta would kill the Mitanni in one breath, and yet praise it in another.

For if the Hurri are cursed with the false reign of a swine such as Tushratta, who must they look to for guidance? In this age beset by death, who must save the Hurri? Well, I, Artatama of the Hurri shall save them. I am the true ruler of the Hurri, for I am the elder. For I am the wiser. For I am the better man, the man blessed by not those who are vile, but by those who are glorious, those who are saved. I am one who is of a new light, I am one who will bring prosperity and peace, not plague and poverty!

So when that fateful day comes, for when that day comes in which you will be asked to side with the Hurri and I, or the false idol Tushratta, I ask you to side with me. For under my benevolent guidance, the Hurri shall prosper!

Speak true, speak wise, and follow the Gods!"

On the second night of the assembly during the feasting, the subject of Artatama's courting of Hurrian nobles in the vassal states and borderlands of Mitanni is brought up. A rather drunk King Tushratta speaks:

"Artatama, that snake, what my agents say sounds just like him. All he can do is call me an animal, a pig, a wretch! I grew up in the same palace as him, we played as boys! But look at that dog now. It's a shame that we are of the same blood, I say. A stain on my honor and all my family's, too. What makes it funnier is that he pretends as if he were some Hurrian king, dethroned by a scoundrel. That bastard, how he shames my house so! It's no secret that us Mitanni are of a different stock, one that stands alone in this world, no brothers to be found. I mean no ill by it, my good men. It's like the villain can't even hear his own accent when he speaks the Hurri tongue. My friends, as lords of your lands and Hurri by customs and blood, I ask of you all to keep an open eye for that mangy dog who's somehow a relative of mine, you can never know-- Oh, my! Another course! My friends, this seasoned beef is to die for, I tell you, and the fig sauce is like no other. Gods above! The barley that made this beer must have been a gift from the heavens itself! You all must try some, such an exquisite taste!"

1348 to 1345 BCE

477px-La_salle_dAkhenaton_%281356-1340_av_J.C.%29_%28Mus%C3%A9e_du_Caire%29_%282076972086%29.jpg

Pharaoh Akhenaten and his family adoring the sun god Aten.

On month seven of the fifth year of his reign, Pharaoh Amenhotep IV declared that he would drop all the 5-fold customary titles of a pharaoh, and instead switch to just one new regnal name, Akhenaten, the Living Spirit of Aten. This marked the beginning of a whole new era for the Egyptian Kingdom, as Akhenaten swiftly proceeded to lift his patron deity, Aten the personification of the sun-disk, far above the other gods of Egypt, a deed that had not quite yet been done ever before. All state funds and incomes from temples were directed and given to Aten, and new monuments and shrines in his honor dotted Egypt. At the grand temple of Karnak massive new buildings for Aten were to be constructed. Needless to say, the worship of other deities was severely restricted and frowned upon, with Akhenaten urging his courtiers, priests and officers to embrace the supreme Sun.

In order to further underline his diversion from the old, Akhenaten decided to move the capital of his realm further north, where he could collect a court of new followers and likewise thinking people dedicated to Aten, away from the old priesthoods and their influences. Slightly over a month after his name change, Akhenaten arrived to this new city, Akhetaten, the Horizon of Aten, intending that he and his successors would rule from there from now on. A whole new style of art developed in the sacred city of Aten, as Akhenaten spent most of his time studying architecture and sponsoring arts, giving little focus to government, and even less to matters that had nothing to do with religion. Needless to further explain, a certain opposition to his drastic reforms was already gathering itself.
[Treasury drop to Wealthy, 50 % chance of stability hit next turn]

Burna-Buriaš the Kassite ruler of Babylon gave an edict on building new irrigation networks and canals in the old Sumerian core region, greatly revitalizing the trade and prosperity of a previously slightly ignored region, a noticeable shift in Kassite interest towards the south. While Babylonian engineers could indeed construct quite sophisticated canals, they lacked the knowledge and understanding of the penultimate problem behind the region’s decline in productivity; rise of salinity. Tablets regarding the granting of these lands to soldiers and veterans, mostly of Kassite stock, underline how Burna-Buriaš wished to use these lands to secure a better hold of Sumer and a source for future manpower. Another expensive program initiated by the King was the construction, or perhaps repair, of a Royal Road connecting the principal city and de facto capital of Dur-Kurigalzu to Sippar and further south to the realm’s most vital city; Babylon. Most of the work went seemingly to widening existing roads and constructing new caravan stops, watchtowers and employing more scribes.
[Treasury set to Average, Taxes and Trade have a 50 % chance of improving next turn]

But this seeming era of calm and development was broken in late 1345 when news from the Euphrates reached the Kasssite court. The island fortress of Anat, an important trade node controlling the river and a sanctuary to its namesake goddess, had been seized without a prior justification by the Assyrian armies. This immediately broke crucial caravan routes connecting Babylonia with Mitanni, resulting in a loss of income for Burna-Buriaš. And even more importantly, Aššur-uballiṭ was now in a dangerous position of influence over the kingdom, controlling all routes connecting it with Mitanni, the Canaan and by extension Egypt. What kind of a response this bold annexation and show of strength would result in remained to be seen.
[Trade for Babylon set at Low]

In the years preceding his short and surprising campaign on the Euphrates, Aššur-uballiṭ had focused n strengthening the restored independent religious identity of Assyrians. Sanctuaries, monuments and stelae dedicated to the great lord Ashur appeared in the plains and river valleys of northern Mesopotamia, marking a revival and restoration of Assyrian sovereignty. On the other hand, these also strengthened the status of the king and his family, as the names of Aššur-uballiṭ and his predecessors appeared on many of these objects, legitimatizing his rule as a divine will of Ashur.
[50 % chance of a stability boost next turn]

Tushratta of Mitanni, cornered between the resurgent Hittites and the newly created Assyrian power decided to try and increase his influence in the region. Mitannian armies marched on the land of Alshe, or Alzi as known to the Assyrians, enforcing a new tribute to be paid to Washukanni. This traditionally Hurrian tribal region had already been considered a tributary to Mitanni, but in the last years had attained more independence, mostly due to Assyrian-driven erosion of Mitanni strength in the region. Now that was seemingly changing. Another feat was accomplished a year later, as envoys from Ugarit travelled to Washukanni, offering a grand tribute that was to become a yearly practice, in return for protection by the Mitannian armies. Apparently the waning power of Egypt and the more domestic policies of Akhenaten had made the old rival of Mitanni change its mind. To further boost this new-found partnership, King Ammittamru I recommended his merchants and nobles to commence trading with the eastern power, greatly revitalizing trade in both Ugarit and the surrounding regions that were Mitannian vassals. Especially the city of Carchemish saw a rise in wealth just in a few years. It looked like fortunes were slowly changing for the devastated Mesopotamian power.
[Mitanni tribute income set to Mid, treasury rises to Wealthy next turn, Ugarit and Mitanni become trade partners]

However, not all of the vassals west of the Euphrates were happy about the change. Especially Mukish or the Amorite kingdom of Alalakh is unhappy, as Ugarit threatens the economic interests of his kingdom. Traditionally Alalakh, not Ugarit, had been the main gateway for Mitanni trade to the seas. Now, the better suited port of Ugarit would surely result in much of trade taking that route, resulting in a major loss of income for Mukish. News reached Washukanni about Hittite envoys travelling to Alalakh with gifts and offers that the King of Alalah certainly considered. Foreign encroachment to Mitannian sphere of influence, by Assyrians in the east and now by Hittites in the west was once again confirmed to be the gravest threat to Tushratta.

There remained another thorn to the side of Tushratta, which ever made his life unconformable in his palace. His brother Artatama, who continued to dispute his throne from exile, insisted on continuing his efforts. Tushratta was forced to expel priests, warriors and nobles from his court, including his own relatives, for mere suspicions of collaboration with Artatama’s camp. This elusive ‘King of Hurri’ as he liked to title himself, seemingly managed to garner support in the more tribal regions, and especially among the Hurrian population, citing his older age as a natural claim to the throne. Nevertheless, the relative successes in diplomacy by Tushratta did much to undermine Artatama’s efforts. If he wouldn’t find an ally within Mitanni, would he look outside?

The Hittites had recently managed to push back the Kaska people who had decades ago sacked and destroyed Hattusa, bringing the kingdom to brink of demise. But Tudhaliya II deduced that this warlike race wasn’t subjugated enough just yet, and ordered his son and most trusted general to marshal the Hittite troops and deal one more blow to the northern tribes. Thus Šuppiluliuma took the men of Hatti to the ancient sacred town of Nerikka, rebuilding it and making great sacrifices to the storm and sun gods. For this first time since the reign of Hantili of the Hittite old kingdom, the spring festival Puruli could be held at its original site. After this, Šuppiluliuma took the army further north, dealing a decisive strike at the Kaska and forcing upon them a heavy tribute, seizing many of their idols and other wealth and bringing it back to Hattusa.
[Kaska no longer hostile, tribute set to Mid]

The next objective of Šuppiluliuma was supposed to lie in the far west, beyond the Hapalla. But as he marched his troops west in 1345, news reached him from Hattusa. King Tudhaliya II had died and his son, Šuppiluliuma’s elder brother, had succeeded to the throne as Tudhaliya the third. But this wasn’t to the liking of Šuppiluliuma. He had restored his father’s realm, lead his armies, acted as his most loyal envoy and servant. And now the other prince, of lacking spirit and leadership, had taken the throne he considered rightfully his. Šuppiluliuma had the unwavering support of the army and almost all of its officers. Thus, he decided to turn back east and marched on Hattusa. Even before he reached the city, officers at the capital assassinated Tudhaliya III and Šuppiluliuma could take the now vacant throne. The Hittites now had their most capable King for centuries, that was without a doubt. His first degree as a King was the construction of new military roads connecting the most crucial regions of the Hittite realm, from Nerikka to Hattusa and from the frontier of Hapalla to the Upper Land. And one more, reaching from Hattusa to Kizzuwatna. The construction of these was to be a costly effort, but very likely to much reduce the time needed for a full mobilization of the Hittite levies, and in addition boost the realm’s still recovering economy.
[Tudhaliya II and III dead, long live King Šuppiluliuma, 50 % chance of improved trade or tax income next turn]

Untash-Napirisha, son of Humban-Numena, the ruler of Elam took great interest in developing and strengthening the status of the local pantheon, which had for considerable time been under considerable pressure and influence by the foreign gods of Babylonia. About three Babylonian leagues away from Susa he erected Dur Untash, the town of Untash. This was to be a holy city, for the priests and priestesses of Elam to devote their lives for appeasing the deities that ruled over their lands. The construction of this large ziggurat continued for most of the 1340s BCE. Untash-Napirisha even proceeded to underline his own divinity while engaging in this pious act, claiming to be the earthly vessel of Napir and consort of the Great Goddess of Liyan, Kiririsha. While these tablets were clearly written by his order, an opposing consensus was formed by a number of wealthy priests. Was the King really equal to the gods in this sense, or was he just their earthly son? After all, maternity was regarded as an especially sacred thing by the Elamites, and being a son of the Great Goddess could be regarded as an even higher honor.
[25 % chance of increased stability next turn]

Abdi-Ashirta of Amurru, at the head of his Amorite war bands, marched upon the coastal cities of Irdata and Arqata, considered a part of the kingdom of Byblos. Seizing the cities and sacking their treasuries, he paid for more bands of Habiru to join his ranks. Then, with bolstered arms and high confidence, Abdi-Ashirta marched on the fortress of Sumur, an important trading hub and Egyptian garrison under the protection of Rib-Hadda of Byblos. Stating that the city had been left defenseless and that the Pharaoh’s enemies could use this to their advantage and encroach further south to Canaan, Abdi-Ashirta seized control, garrisoning it with his own troops. The Egyptian commissioner Pahhanate couldn’t much more than protest at the sudden Amorite take-over of this vital border, though understanding the strength and precarious situation, he tried to avoid angering the warlord, instead simply reporting the events back to Egypt like they had happened. The successful campaigns of the years 1348-1345 had surely secured Abdi-Ashirta’s place at the head of the loose Amurru coalition.
[Tax set to Low, Treasury to Poor next turn]

In the southern Canaanite city of Ursalimmu, a brand new cult appeared. Most likely inspired to an extent by the Atenist monotheism that had taken root in Egypt, this new cult of Abdiirlil, supreme father god, was apparently created by a poor and young son of a local idol-maker. It remained to be seen if this was just a local spin-off of Atenism, a mere minor cult with marginal following or the beginnings of something bigger. What was the relation of this new deity and the patron deity of the city, Shalim, also remained somewhat unclear, though a relationship was very likely, at least in the mind of some followers. Ursalimmu was already home to many deities of obscure origin, as the king himself held in high honor the Hurrian Hebat.

Kukkunni the lord of Wilusa, rebuilding Truisa that had been devastated by earthquake just years before, wanted to show that his small and remote kingdom was on par with the mighty powers across the Seas. Thus he ordered that a royal palace, akin to the ones of Hittites and Egyptians, was to be built. Work began on a beautiful and vast palatial complex, which most notably included a botanical garden, a rarity copied from the Pharaoh. On top of that, the King managed to sway a number of the tribes inhabiting the grain-rich peninsula across his royal city to become his tributaries, extending protection of the Wilusan fleet and armies to them.
[Tribute set to Low]

King Hakkani of the Hayasa-Azzi federation decided to have a look at Hittite law codes, in hopes of better understanding why his father had been executed by Tudhaliya II when paying a visit to Hattusa. This royal order resulted in the slow adoption of parts of the Hittite law code, even though no written language existed in the mountainous and uncivilized lands Hakkani ruled over. But surely it was an improvement, even though the adaption of the law varied widely between regions, and despite of the ignorance of many of the later parts of the code by the tribesmen. Another, not necessarily as grand at least yet, development in the land of Hayasa-Azzi was the further adoption of iron-casting skill, a talent originating from the mountainous lands further east. Objects made of iron became an important trading commodity for the otherwise poor and resource-lacking land.
[50 % chance of trade increase next turn]

Ships of Alashiya set sail for west, travelling to the lands owned by the people known as Ahhiyawa, bringing with them many gifts and gems. But on the island of the Minu, they only found destruction. The palaces and cities, from Konoso to the others, all laid burnt and devastated a collapse that had happened only recently. Thus not too many new trade partners were found from there, and instead these envoys sailed north, arriving at the cities on the coast of Arzawa and even making their way to Truisa to greet the Lord of Wilusa at his new palace. And already the next year, many more ships departed in these directions, bringing with them the most prized commodity of Alashiya; copper.
[Trade with Ahhiyawa (Mycenaean colonies on Aegean islands), Arzawa and Wilusa]

Last edited:
2xTaddg.png

1344 BCE
Egypt – Noco19 and MastahCheef117

Ruler: Pharaoh Akhenaten (Noco19)
Treasury: Wealthy
Income: High
(Royal): High
(Tax): High
(Trade): High
(Tributes): Mid
Centralization: Absolute Monarchy
Military: Large Levy, Mid Royal Guard
Stability: Serene
Subjects: Kush, Amurru, Byblos, Tyre, Sidon, Jerusalem, Further Canaanite States
Alliances: Mitanni
Trade Partners: Mitanni, Arzawa, Alashiya, Ugarit, Tyre and so forth
Hostile:
At War With:

Mitanni – Rolman99 and Korona

Ruler: King Tushratta (Rolman99)
Treasury: Average
Income: Mid
(Royal): Low
(Tax): Mid
(Trade): Low
Centralization: Organized Kingdom
Military: Mid Levy, Small Royal Guard
Stability: Faltering
Subjects: Carchemish, Ishuwa, Alshe, Alalakh, Halab, Ugarit
Alliances: Egypt
Trade Partners: Egypt, Ugarit
Hostile: Hittites, Assyria
At War With:

Hittites – Harpsichord

Ruler: King Šuppiluliuma I (Harpischord)
(Royal): Mid
(Tax): Low
Military: Large Levy, Small Royal Guard
Stability: Stable
Subjects: Hayasa-Azzi, Kizzuwatna, Lukka, Kaska Nominally Wilusa, Arzawa
Alliances: Hayasa-Azzi
Trade Partners: Ugarit, Alashiya, Wilusa
Hostile: Mitanni, Arzawa, Pala
At War With:

Babylonia – baboushreturns and Duke Dan `the Man`

Ruler: King Burna-Buriaš II (baboushreturns)
Income: High
(Tributes): Low
Subjects: Dilmun (Viceroyalty played by Dr.Livingstone)
Alliances: Elam
Trade Partners: Elam
Hostile: Assyria
At War With:

Assyria – sealy300

Ruler: King Aššur-uballiṭ I
Centralization: Hegemonic Kingdom
Military: Small Levy, Small Royal Guard
Subjects: Arrapha
Alliances:
Trade Partners:
Hostile: Mitanni, Babylonia
At War With:

Elam – Olligarchy

Ruler: King Untash-Napirisha
(Tributes): None
Subjects: Shimashki
Alliances: Babylonia
Trade Partners: Babylonia
Hostile:
At War With:

Ugarit – naxhi24

Ruler: King Ammittamru I
Treasury: Poor
Income: Low
(Trade): Mid
(Tributes):
Centralization: City Kingdom
Military: Negligible Levy, Small City Guard
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Hittites, Egypt, Alashiya, Mitanni
Hostile:
At War With:

Alashiya – Keinwyn

Ruler: A King
Centralization: Tribal Confederation
Military: Small Levy, No Royal Guard
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Ugarit, Egypt, Hittites, Arzawa, Wilusa, Ahhiyawa
Hostile:
At War With:

Amurru – Shynka

Ruler: Abdi-Ashirta
Treasury: Destitute
Centralization: Tribal Hegemony
Military: Mid Levy, No Royal Guard
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners:
Hostile: Byblos
At War With:

Tyre – oxfordroyale

Ruler: Prince ???
(Tax): None
Military: No Levy, Small City Guard
Subjects:
Alliances: Byblos
Trade Partners: Egypt
Hostile:
At War With:

Byblos – DragonOfAtlantis

Ruler: King Rib-Hadda
Subjects:
Alliances: Tyre
Hostile: Amurru
At War With:

Ursalimmu (or Jerusalem) – Shebedaone

Ruler: King Abdi-Heba
Military: Small Levy, Small City Guard
Subjects:
Alliances:
Hostile:
At War With:

Wilusa – tyriet

Ruler: Kukkunni
Centralization: Tribal Kingdom
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Hittites, Ahhiyawa, Arzawa, Lazpa
Hostile:
At War With:

Hayasa-Azzi – Mathrim

Ruler: King Hakkani
Centralization: Tribal Federation
Subjects:
Alliances: Hittites
Trade Partners:
Hostile:
At War With:

Arzawa – Kaisersohaib

Ruler: King Anzapahhadu
Subjects: Seha River Land, Mira, Masa
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Wilusa, Egypt
Hostile: Hittites
At War With:

Orders due Friday at 23:59 GMT.

Following persons will be kicked if they do not send orders this turn: MastahCheef117, Duke Dan `the Man`, Dr.Livingstone, oxfordroyale, DragonOfAtlantis, Kaisersohaib

Last edited:
The Envoy to Dur Untash
220px-Elam_cool.jpg

"Blessings be Upon thee O Great King of Elam Most Pious of Kings from the fertile lands of Egypt to the Indus Valley and most beloved of the gods. I trust that mine servant hath delivered thy letter to thine hands Great King.Mine Servant hath travelled to the holiest of cities with Idols of the Gods both bronze and copper and of precious jewels.Idols of Moloch the God of Fire,Baal-Hammon the God of Fertility,Shimel thine patron god and god of Dusk,El the most Supreme and his wife Asherath.We give also a hundred of the finest horses of Canaan and Two Hundred fine Camels for thy royal stables and for thine leisure.We ask thee in return thy daughter's hand in marriage to me so that our two nations may come closer."

persian.gif

The arrival of the delegation from Caanan was well heralded, and they are ushered soon after into the chambers of the Great King of Haltamti.

"We stand honoured by your Kings offer, honoured envoy and would gladly agree to accept your Idols and Gifts, but their nature strikes a worrying chord for us as well. Before accepting, we would request a time for response from thine suzerain, the King of Egypt and Canaan. Should he find no cause for offense, we would gladly accept."

As such on the year 1344 BC, an Envoy made his way from Susa to Egypt, bearing the word of the Great King of Anshan and Susa to seek clarification on the status of the Cananite city.

"Greetings to you great Pharoh, Lord of the Two Lands and High Priest of every temple. I bring word of your kin and cousin, the Great King of Anshan and Susa. His grandness has received an emissary of Canaan with an offer of marriage. Within that offer stands the offer of transfer of their gods of Baal-Hammon, Shimel, Moloch and El among many other great prices of victory.

Given the preeminence of Egypt within this region, the Great King wishes to know should Egypt object to such a transfer?"

Last edited:
A tablet from King Tushratta arrives at the court of the king of Alalakh, the envoys with gestures of goodwill for King Ituraddu:

"Blessings of all the Gods upon you, good King Ituraddu, noble lord of Alalakh, of that proud Amorite race. I write you as a friend: couriers tell me, my good tributary, that men of Hatti arrived at your court bearing gifts, whispering honeyed words to sway you towards their own side. What makes it worse is that my administrator present in your halls, honorable Turum-Nadki, son of Kilumana, has told me in a dispatch that you furthermore consider the words of those agents from Hattusa.

My good man: What injustice have I done? If a lack of coin due to the inclusion of Ugarit as a tribute-payer puts your coffers under stress and brings you to Šuppiluliuma, I am most willing to line to your troves with gifts from the most high King of Mitanni, a gift from my bountiful treasury. I had enjoyed your company in my high halls, and you have always been a good ally to myself and my father. Let us reconcile. The envoys who have come with this message should arrive bearing three casks of the most mellow wine, a most royal headpiece of gold, silver, and with stones of beautiful, valuable lapis for your wife, and ten teams of the finest warhorses for you and your sons' regal chariots.

Truly, my friend, my generosity shows no bounds. Ask and you shall receive, so long as gifts of your own reach my halls once a year."

persian.gif

Be it the command of your The Great King of Anshan, of Susa, of the tribe of Shimashki and of all the Tribes of Haltamti for the tribe of Shimashki to hasten the path of merchants and peoples of the East! The riches of the Sindhus stand great and all for the Haltamti to seize! Thus it be that I, Untash-Napirisha, son of Humban-Numena of the line of Ata-Halki command that they make these roads safe for travel, and that the men of those lands be given bread and salt as signs of peace upon their journey here.

A path is to be laid out for these men, a path no less than 10 paces astride so that wagons and beasts of burden may comfortably it pass! A path from which wealth for all Haltamti shall flow and be guarded by the men of Shimashki whom shall gain three out of each ten coins gathered at the tolls! A worthy reward for a worthy deed!

As mine servants do their duty, I too shall undertake to mine. A great fire is to be lit at the Zigurrat of Dur Untash to signal the glory of the gods! The flame is to be blessed with eternal vigour and fuel by mine person and the priests of all the gods!

The King's Journey to Egypt

Clothing-Style-from-Canaan.jpg

The King with his many officials were welcomed into the the throne room where he and his embassy greeted the Pharoah and placed blessings on the Pharoah and his Consort
" To Pharaoh the Lord of the Two Lands and mine suzerain may Baal Hammon bless you with fertility may El guide you and may Asherath bless thy consort the beautiful Nefertiti. I Hath come to seek thine permission in a marriage between mine and a Princess of Elam and the gift of Idols,Horses and Camels to Dur Untash the blessed Holy City.I hope to produce an heir from this marriage so as to continue mine line and so my son may serve thy son and so forth mighty Pharoah it is hoped that thy allow this marriage but i am but a servant of thy Great One and bow to your every will."

GM Note: Friendly reminder that orders are due tonight at 23:59 GMT.

1344 to 1341 BCE

EJbzqLU.jpg

Assyrian soldiers storming the fortress of Kar-Ištar in central Mesopotamia.

The lack of a clear response from the traditional priesthood to the Atenist reforms was enough to convince Akhenaten that he now held free reign over the religious life in Egypt. New reforms, even more revolutionary in nature, were swiftly introduced from his new capital, which was starting to shape up rather nicely. Slowly but steadily degrees flowed up and down the Nile, abolishing a cult one after one. Finally, in 1342, the cult of Amun-Ra was officially merged with that of Aten. Egypt had now decisively moved to an age of monotheism, even though opposition to the reforms was heavy in the more distant nomes. The old capital of Thebes became the headquarters of some of these movements, with the local clergy of Amun, now without a job, going underground to preserve their sacred imagery and texts. Rioting between opponents and supporters of Aten was reported all over the Kingdom, severely restricting tax collection and harming economic life.

The riots of 1343 and 1342 BCE were used by Akhenaten to justify even heavier measures. In 1341, royal envoys, all of them ardent and fierce believers in Aten, were sent to each nome with the orders to destroy and shatter all imagery and texts of false gods. The overall purge quickly turned violent, with known opponents of Aten and old priests slain in open daylight. The Atenist revolution was taking a bloody and destructive turn, though Akhenaten saw and heard none of this in his new capital Akhetaten. The iconoclasm expanded to even history, with royal archives of Thebes destroyed due to sacrilegious mentions of the old gods. Matters of governance were now greatly influenced over by Nefertiti, the great wife of the Pharaoh and daughter of his trusted vizier Ay. A power struggle of sorts also began within the royal harem, as the lesser wife Kiya, Mitanni princess Tadukhipa, tried to exert his power over the Pharaoh, in a vain effort to convince him to intervene in aid of his father Tushratta in the Hittite aggression. This was to Nefertiti’s dislike, and the hostility between two of his most beloved wives was clearly a burden to the already mentally pressured Akhenaten.
[Stability and income hit]

The seizure of Anat led to full-out war between Babylonia and Assyria, as Burna-Buriaš II ordered a massive mobilization of Babylonian levies. To bolster his forces, he expanded his royal guard corps with thousands of more warriors, of Kassite, Babylonian and assorted nomadic stock. This new addition, attested as the ‘Sons of Babilim’, was to become the core of Burna-Buriaš’s army in his campaign of revenge. On top of that, he constructed a new division of chariots, given to the use of this corps. Babylonian engineers also designed a new lighter model of a chariot, as well as a skirmishing chariot, for the use of his troops. All-in-all, in just a few years the Babylonian military was restored to a whole new standard. But was it enough for the sons of Karduniaš to prevail over those of Ashur?
[Royal Guard increased!]

The campaigns in Mesopotamia began with an Assyrian onslaught upon Kar-Ištar, a Babylonian frontier town hosting an important shrine to its namesake goddess. The initial attack succeeded at taking the garrison by surprise, and they shared the fate of those of Anat, expelled to a poor settlement in the northern mountains of Subartu to face the Gutians. Aššur-uballiṭ I had maybe underestimated the determination of his Babylonian foe, as soon the mighty army that had been assembled was marching up the Tigris to retake the frontier. In the ensuing battle it was the Assyrians that were taken by surprise, by the fact that Babylonia had managed to build itself such a formidable force in a matter of years. But the sons of Ashur fought valiantly and skillfully against the mass of Babylonian infantry, Kassite chariots and Ahlamu mercenary skirmishers. In the end Burna-Buriaš won a costly victory as the Assyrians withdrew north towards their capital. Instead of pursuing them towards such an important and obviously well-defended target, Burna-Buriaš turned his attention east, towards the Hurrian city of Arrapha which was an Assyrian vassal. The poor army of the town and the few forces sent to bolster it were no match to the Babylonian military, which proceeded to seize and sack the city in 1342. However, now Aššur-uballiṭ I had had enough time to regroup and refit his troops, and he soundly defeated the Babylonians at Turšan on the Lower Zab. This was enough to allow the Arraphans to regain the control of their city, but the Babylonians retained a number of smaller forts and settlements on the river, slightly bringing them to a closer position for future campaigns versus the Assyrians. Their losses so far had however been far higher, and especially among Babylonian nobles and even some members of the Kassite family, opposition to the war was already brewing.
[Babylonian stability drops to Stable, 50 % chance of treasury drop for both if sporadic war continues]

The island of Dilmun, a Babylonian outpost in the sea to the south, had its port refitted under the Babylonian ensikgal, viceroy, Ili-ippašra. In a letter to his friend Enlil-kidinni, the šandabakku, governor, of Nippur, he boasted of the fine dates and beautiful pearls of the island he reigned over, hoping that such goods and all the gems and slaves traded from the Ahlamu inhabiting the desert mainland could soon reach the markets of Babylonia.
[50 % chance of Babylonian trade increase next turn]

Untash-Napirisha continued his pious work to appease the gods of Elam. The grand ziggurat of Dur Untash was finished by the end of 1340s, and a holy and eternal flame lit atop it by the king, signifying the perpetual divinity of the Elamite pantheon and his family’s rule. The king still continued to claim to be the consort of the great goddess Kiririsha, considerably splitting the clergy into those who supported such a claim mostly due to the bribes and donations made by the king, and those beginning to consider the ever increasing boasting as nigh blasphemous.

But the ruler of the Haltamti could find time for something else than meddling with religion, too. The nomadic Shimashki in the eastern side of his realm were ordered to seize and garrison the dangerous mountain passes to the east, in order to facilitate new caravan routes eastwards. After years of rather fierce fighting in hard conditions, the region was brought under control, and the king placed direct garrisons in makeshift forts to protect traders. Traders from the city-kingdom of Marhashi became a far more common sight in Anzan and Susa, and occasional traders even arrived from Aratta and from the land of Meluhha, a region to which trade links had been broken for centuries. A new alternative route, not by sea but by land was speculated to have been established by the Marhashi, using the tribal pastoralists in between as middlemen.
[Trade increase]

Tushratta of Mitanni pushed further with his campaigns against the Hurrian tribes, using a combination of diplomacy, threat of force and open warfare to significantly further restore and rebuild Mitannian authority and vassal-networks in the region, doing so gaining valuable allies to guard the volatile frontier against possible incursions by the former Mitannian vassals in Assyria, or from the Hittites. However, in turn those brought to their knees and assigned new lords were disappointed, allowing the pretender Artatama to allegedly tour in the region in search of Hurrian allies. In general he was known to be in hiding outside Mitanni, using envoys and allies to try and influence matters inside Mitanni, personally visiting courts of some chieftains. To further expand his authority, Tushratta turned his attention to the vassal kingdoms west of the Euphrates, aiming to reduce the authority of the local kings and cities, as the recent news about dealings between Alalakh of Mukish and the Hittites rightfully upset him. While he tried to be discreet, appointing representatives, royal caretakers and increasing garrisons and issuing edicts, the attempt caused considerable ire, especially with the more powerful states of Carchemish and Alalakh.

Soon the repercussions were felt, Carchemish and Alalakh staged a simultaneous revolt against the Mitanni, with Alalakh inviting Hittite armies in. Quickly they made work of the smaller Mitannian vassals between the two rebellious states, with considerable territory appropriated from loyalist cities to the two, of course with Hittite acceptance. With the Mitannian armies engaged in the east, Šuppiluliuma and Ituraddu of Alalakh had free reign in the region for almost a year. Halab fell to the Hittites and their new allies a year after the initial invasion, cutting Ugarit off from Mitannian crownlands, and with the ruler of Qatna and Nuhašše claiming neutrality the conquest was all but done. The ruler of Nuhašše, Addu-nirari, in fact called for aid from the Egyptian commissioner Pahhanate, who however was without an effective army in the region. Thus another letter was sent to Abdi-Ashirta of Amurru, who now controlled the largest and most effective army in the region.
[Alalakh and Carchemish become Hittite vassals; fate of Halab needs to be decided]

In the end, only the intervention of the main Mitannian army, considerably bolstered by vassal troops from the Hurrian tribes, saved Ugarit from almost certain defeat. With the Hittites under Šuppiluliuma turning west to check the approaching Tushratta from capturing Carchemish, Ugarit rallied its forces for a quick attack against Ituraddu, disabling many of his troops and destroying border forts. However their king Ammittamru I perished in these battles, and his son successor Niqmaddu II was not necessarily up for the task of guiding the kingdom through the crisis. In the fall of 1341 BCE the Mitannians and Hittites fought a rather indecisive battle at Mazuwati near Carchemish, enough to allow the Mitannians to capture Carchemishian territory up to the Euphrates. However, loss of tributary income from most of Syria and cutting of trade links was bound to hurt Tushratta considerably, while much gold and silver was added to the treasury of Hittites and their allies.
[Mitanni tributes and trade drop to low, Treasury increase for Hittites, trade of Ugarit drops to low]

In preparation for this campaign, Šuppiluliuma had sent considerable gifts to all Hittite vassals, and in return managed to gather thousands of more warriors and chariots from all the lands presided over by the King of Hatti, as men of Kaska, Tarhuntassa, Lukka, Hapalla and all the other lands flocked to the mobilized field army. All the costs were well paid back by the noticeably large loot gathered from vanquished lands, and new gifts of gratitude could be sent to loyal vassals. In general the rich loot and captives sent back to Hatti convinced the Hittite people and their vassals of the military might and skill of their Great King, much improving the confidence of the kingdom that so lately had been on the brink of great despair. Some of this loot and captured precious metals were used to begin the construction of an even greater, separate and walled, temple in Hattuša, large enough to even rival the royal acropolis. Surely Tešub the Conqueror was content with the victories of his clearly blessed follower.
[Stability boost]

The Pharaoh’s focus on promoting Atenism seemed to take its toll, as several foreign troubles begun to appear in the latter half of 1340s. Firstly, trade along the Canaanite coast and the Great Sea started to be hit by rather unknown raiders, who boldly even struck ships sailing off the coast of Tyre and Akku, causing the local rulers to send appeals of aid in form of an Egyptian fleet to the Pharaoh. And not much further inland, Abdi-Ashirta and his Habiru-Amurru warbands continued to expand his territory and sphere of influence, forcing a number of the coastal Canaanite cities to pay a tribute for Abdi-Ashirta’s generous protection. An important ally also joined him, as the inland city of Kadesh, ruled by its king Aitakama, sided with Abdi-Ashirta in hopes of gathering more influence for the state and to prevent the Sutean and Ahlamu tribes of the east from planning further incursions into the fertile region along river Orontes. There were also considerable rumors of pro-Amurru factions gaining power in Tyre and Beirut, as cited in a concerned letter from Ammunira of Beirut to the Pharaoh. A large amount of territory was also seized from Byblos, reducing the once mighty city-state to merely its namesake city, with its king Rib-Hadda writing extraordinarily salty tablets to the Pharaoh.
[Egyptian trade temporarily drops to Mid, Amurru Royal, Tax and Tribute income as well as overall income set to Mid]

The new cult of great god Abdiirlil took a further hold in Ursalimmu, as the city’s king became further acquainted with the rite, most notably due to its apparent prophet taking residence in his palace. Some rumors, of rather scandalous but not surprising nature, spread to the city about the exact relationship between the king and this son of an idol-maker. Indeed, both within the court and in the city a faction opposed to his sort of a cult was forming, while supporters also sore up in numbers, particularly thanks to the influence of Atenism. Another even more controversial endeavor by King Abdi-Heba was sending a delegation with various idols from city temple to Elam’s Dur-Untash, in a flagrant violation of both vassal status vis a vis Egypt, as well as a clear insult to the other deities of the city. The actual fate of the delegation remained unknown, as the trip to Elam passed through the active warzone between Assyria and Babylonia.
[Severe stability hit]

Increased wealth due to prospering trade led to further organization on the island of Alashiya, with the local religion turning into a more structured extension of royal legitimacy. A triad of three goddesses was promoted by the royals; fertility goddess Atate, also known as Aštart in the Canaan or Attart in Ugarit, war goddess Anat and Amaya, a goddess of healing originating from the west. Of these Atate seemed to have the highest importance for the government, as her cult-site and functions were located in the capital. So deep would her worship root on the island, that travelers and merchants from the Canaan would refer to the entirety as ‘an island of Aštart’.
[50 % chance of stability increase next turn]

Merchant ships departed from the Arzawan capital of Apasa towards the islands owned by the Ahhiyawa, and from there towards their grand fortresses and towns on the mainland owned by the Ahhiyawa. Trade links between the Ahhiyawa states and Arzawa were already strong, after all Apasa held a strong trading community of theirs within its walls, and the other main port of Arzawa, Millawanda was in fact a colony ruled by a governor of theirs. Nevertheless, the main change was the fact that now the Arzawa people themselves conducted some of this trade, instead of having the Ahhiyawans as the only middle-men. However, relations between King Anzapahhadu and the Ahhiyawans somewhat soured after he tried to convince the island of Lazpa, home to several Ahhiyawan outposts and trading settlements, to become a vassal of his. Of course, the Ahhiyawa pressured the local rulers to turn down the offer. A similar one sent to Millawanda governor Atpa was also basically laughed off, the Ahhiyawan fleet and warriors were more than enough to protect their settlements and colonies from any threat.
[Ahhiyawa added as (a more important) trading partner]

S44ZtQu.png

1340 BCE
Egypt – Noco19

Ruler: Pharaoh Akhenaten (Noco19)
Centralization: Absolute Monarchy
Military: Large Levy, Mid Royal Guard
Subjects: Kush, Amurru, Byblos, Tyre, Sidon, Jerusalem, Further Canaanite States
Alliances: Mitanni
Trade Partners: Mitanni, Arzawa, Alashiya, Ugarit, Tyre and so forth
Hostile:
At War With:

Mitanni – Rolman99 and Korona

Ruler: King Tushratta (Rolman99)
Subjects: Ishuwa, Alshe, Halab, Ugarit
Alliances: Egypt
Trade Partners: Egypt, Ugarit
Hostile: Assyria
At War With: Hittites, Carchemish, Alalakh

Hittites – Harpsichord

Ruler: King Šuppiluliuma I (Harpischord)
Military: Large Levy, Small Royal Guard
Subjects: Hayasa-Azzi, Kizzuwatna, Lukka, Kaska, Carchemish, Alalakh Nominally Wilusa, Arzawa
Alliances: Hayasa-Azzi
Trade Partners: Alashiya, Wilusa
Hostile: Arzawa, Pala
At War With: Mitanni, Ugarit

Babylonia – baboushreturns

Ruler: King Burna-Buriaš II (baboushreturns)
Military: Mid Levy, Mid Royal Guard
Subjects: Dilmun (Viceroyalty played by Dr.Livingstone)
Alliances: Elam
Trade Partners: Elam
Hostile:
At War With: Assyria

Assyria – sealy300

Ruler: King Aššur-uballiṭ I
Subjects: Arrapha
Alliances:
Trade Partners:
Hostile: Mitanni
At War With: Babylonia

Elam – Olligarchy

Ruler: King Untash-Napirisha
Subjects: Shimashki
Alliances: Babylonia
Trade Partners: Babylonia
Hostile:
At War With:

Ugarit – naxhi24

Ruler: King Niqmaddu II
(Tributes):
Military: Negligible Levy, Small City Guard
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Egypt, Alashiya, Mitanni
Hostile:
At War With: Hittites

Alashiya – Keinwyn

Ruler: A King
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Ugarit, Egypt, Hittites, Arzawa, Wilusa, Ahhiyawa
Hostile:
At War With:

Amurru – Shynka

Ruler: Abdi-Ashirta
Centralization: Tribal Hegemony
Subjects:
Alliances: Qidsu
Trade Partners:
Hostile: Byblos, Beirut, Tyre
At War With:

Tyre – oxfordroyale

Ruler: Prince ???
Subjects:
Alliances: Byblos
At War With:

Byblos – DragonOfAtlantis

Ruler: King Rib-Hadda
Subjects:
Alliances: Tyre
At War With:

Ursalimmu (or Jerusalem) – Shebedaone

Ruler: King Abdi-Heba
Military: Small Levy, Small City Guard
Subjects:
Alliances:
Hostile:
At War With:

Wilusa – tyriet

Ruler: Kukkunni
Centralization: Tribal Kingdom
Subjects:
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Hittites, Ahhiyawa, Arzawa, Lazpa
Hostile:
At War With:

Hayasa-Azzi – Mathrim

Ruler: King Hakkani
Centralization: Tribal Federation
Subjects:
Alliances: Hittites
Trade Partners:
Hostile:
At War With:

Arzawa – Kaisersohaib

Ruler: King Anzapahhadu
Subjects: Seha River Land, Mira, Masa
Alliances:
Trade Partners: Wilusa, Egypt, Ahhiyawa
Hostile: Hittites
At War With:

Orders due (next) Saturday at 23:59 GMT.

Following persons are kicked for not sending orders for two consecutive turns: MastahCheef117, oxfordroyale, Duke Dan `the Man`
Following persons will be kicked if they do not send orders this starting turn: naxhi24, Mathrim, tyriet
If you are interested in openings, contact me via PM or IRC. I am ready to consider powers and factions that haven't been listed, but I have to be convinced about their relevance. Also I think I'd enjoy some more in character-content in this thread, tbh.

Last edited:
Artatama stands before Hurrian nobles, his frame garbed in royal regalia.

Alas, the False King Tushratta has proved to be beast better suited to drinks and feasts, rather than actually ensuring peace in our time. I look to Tushratta, and I se a man, nah, a beast, that has destroyed the legacy of our father. He has destroyed the legacy of this kingdom, all for his personal lust for false power and glory. He cares not for the Hurri, no, he cares not for any of his people. Nay, Tushratta's chief concern has always been himself, he has always devoted time and money to himself. If he is not stopped, we would see him eliminate the Hurri, replacing them with Tushratta. So I say, stand up! Stand up to this vile pretender! Stand up to his archaic ways! Show this beast that we are men, and we will beat him into submission, whereto he will bleed and die, a fate deserving of his vile nature. May the Gods bless the Hurri! And may they cast Tushratta into the abyss.

persian.gif

In the year 1340 BC the Kings scribes record an envoy arriving in the Assyrian capital with a message from King Untash-Napirasha.

King of Assyria! Hear mine Kings words and be counted, for the divine offspring of Napir the shining one and of the great goddess Kiririsha calls you to count! It be his will that the arms of Assur be returned to their forts and holdfasts, surrendering the land and booty so viciously stolen from the lands of Bābili. Mine King has joined his hands and arms with those of his cousin Burna-Buriaš, and should his demands not be met he will see no choice, but bring all the men of Haltamti to thine lands!

Should you peace with Bābili, bread and salt will be offered! Peace will be forged and your men may return home with their shields, bows and spears, but should you refuse and make violence upon mine cousins people, you shall be scoured from your hideaways! I shall wage war upon you, burning down your huts and tents, ploughing yon fields with the salt offered, before bringing your gods to Dur Untash and taking your daughters to Wife, as is the fate of all men of leather trousers that threaten the civilised folk!

Be it known to all the men of Assur the price for their refusal will be the end of their line, so let them make their choice wisely! To make peace honestly offered is to survive and prosper, but to oppose it means entry into the darkened halls of Jabru!

A tablet arrives at Amarna for Akhenaten, from King Tushratta:

"Great and glorious Pharaoh, lord of the Sun high above, beloved of the Gods, ruler of those ever-fertile lands of Musur, may all things in your life be well. May your wealth grow and your realm prosper, for mine certainly does not. My Tributaries rise against me, and the King of Hatti wages war upon mine house and mine kingdom. His host marches on my lands, and the loyal King Ammittamru of Ugarit passed in battle against those foes, as Rta deemed it fit.

Good Pharaoh, I know that you have your fair shares of problems at home, those Canaanites grow uppity, and the more unsavoury men of your myriad cities rise against you. But I request of thee a host, of any size. Something that will aid us Mitanni in repelling that murderous, savage army of Hatti. Our army is nothing to be reckoned, you would be correct to point that out, our charioteering is like no other's in this part of the world. But those Hatti, with their bronze spears and hardened warriors possess a multitude of armies, too many to fight on our own. Us Mitanni have been good friends to your kin, o Pharaoh, your own father and I were close allies, as we are now, and he claimed my beloved sister Gilukhpa, who met the gods some winters ago, and my own daughter too, the lovely Tadukhipa, who calls you a virtuous husband as well. If my lands fall, Gods forbid, then that warlike brute who calls himself the King in Hattusa would rain down destruction upon the heads of your house and your vast domain of Musur. You need only send a small army, Pharaoh, any bit will do.

So the says the King, Tushratta, from his halls in Washukanni in his realm of Mitanni."