• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trials of A Servant

Tome One

Thunder echoed in the Vante, one not of nature but of men. A long line consisting of Wilders marched with their numbers gradually swelling as new tribes merged from the adjacent fjords, hills, and valleys that connected to the Vante pass. They were marching west where they would eventually begin the latest campaign in the Wilds. Leading them was High Chief Enir Tudonii.

The Chief scanned the horizon and grey peaks of the Ordivante mountains with his equally colored eyes. The smell of sweat and kicked up dirt lingered in the air as a fog. The clip clopping of his riding mare added to the cacophony of his army. It was early morning so the cold air he breathed kept him awake. Invigorating the chieftain, he tugged on a wool cloak with numb fingers to keep his torso warm until the sun was higher in the sky.

Contrasting the chieftain a fully white stallion rode through the ranks of wilders marching on foot through the all but barren wasteland. His flowing platinum hair and silver circlet adorned on his head identified him as none other than Aeron Turaylon, Master Guardsmen of Coal, and Champion of Queen Nienna of Galadriel. His armor was made by the finest craftsmen in the Kingdom, and it shone brightly compared to the Chief’s drab cloak. Although it must be freezing inside, his mithril coat of mail kept him relatively warm, and although he must have worn something underneath, he was not disposed to reveal anything about his character, even his fashion wear. “King Einir, we have been travelling for three days without making much of a camp at all. How long do you expect to stretch your men over a mere march?” He wasn’t privy to all of the Chief’s plans, but he had liked to make his mind known once it became obvious.

Einir furrowed his brow at the mention of the title King. Looking off to their south at a quaint fjord he elaborated. “In a few hours we should reach Dyfheim. It is one of the few ports that exists on the shattered banks to our north. There the army will be resupplied with men, an abundance of supplies, and equipment.” He exhaled with a wide mouth into his hands and rubbed them for an instant. “It will also heat up considerably from the passing of time, and lowering of altitude.”

“If you are insinuating I consider a more comfortable choice of garb I assure you, I will not fail my Queen on this mission. That means being prepared at all times.” He answered quickly, his voice was sharp and fast. The Knight peered at Einir from across his horse. “How old did you say you were, your highness? Eighteen? Your face is far too worn for a man of your stature and youth. Do you perhaps think your ventures tax you?” They were speaking privately, of course, usually Aeron did not probe him but the journey had been tenuous at best.

“Do I still look that young?” Einir gave a wry smirk. “You are close I am nine and ten summers old. The journey might be a strain, but we will get more rest once we leave this pass. I know I have yet to give fuller insight into my plans as a champion deserves to know, but we are pressed for time.” A beam of light crested a mountain plateau and caressed his face, and made Aeron’s armor gleam furiously.

Respectfully, the elf stopped him with a hand. “You need not entertain me, trust in me that I believe your cause is just. A leader must have foresight, knowledge of his men’s farthest lengths, and loyalty to his cause. I was told your father knew these traits well.” He bowed his head and remained quiet for some time before quipping back. “So still a babe then?” He laughed.

This caught by the Wilder by surprise before he joined in with a hearty laugh. “Your bluntness will let you fit in well. I am green true… Raiding and beheading conspirators, that is nothing compared to the coming months, years if the campaign goes poorly.” Such a prospect wasn’t a pleasing thought to either of them.

Prospecting his future in this bleak land made Aeron grow grim, but his face was one of deep thought. “I hope my stand-in can protect the Queen with all his fortitude. If what you say true, then I shall assist you in any way possible. Don’t take this the wrong way, I prefer the battlefield to court, but being away from my home, my Queen... Well let’s just say one day you’ll understand.” He pat him, before thinking how that came off. “I did not mean that in.. Any affectionate way. I just deeply care for her.” He tried to set the record straight, Nienna was like an enigma to him still, but he absolutely didn’t hold any hopeful romances.

“Hmm. . .” Einir glanced over to Aeron when he stumbled in his usually undeterred speech but thought against broaching the subject. The chieftain stroked the mane of his horse, making it snort in acknowledgment. “Normally for Wilders the champion represents the honor of the tribe, and in uncommon cases becomes what you would call a marshal. Now I don’t expect you to be my champion until death, but I sent one of my best to Nienna. Just like I am certain she sent to me.” The chieftain stroked his horse’s reins with a thumb lazily while he thought. “I am curious as to your war experience, practical or theoretical.”

Einir’s words made Aeron smile inside himself as he wondered what his role was. He didn’t often think about what he was worth, but the representation of elvenkind was an enticing thought.. Nevertheless he looked back at the Chieftain with his turquoise eyes, unique to the inner chasm. “I’ve been fighting nords since I was a pup. Brigands, rebellions, an odd orc or five.. You name it, I’ve done it, running a city is hard work, protecting a kingdom is even more difficult. Now I don’t mean to be boastful, but in combat I am very proficient. General tactics less so, and grand strategy.. Well I don’t think I could have won the dark war.” He smirked and shrugged. “I’ve been working to improve myself. Always.”

“A good attitude. I hope I do not frustrate you with my tactics as they may differ from what you learned. I hear from Neinna and old stories of the war that elves can be very disciplined. My people. . .” Einir twisted in his saddle to the large body of men, in varying attire with equally varied weaponry, before looking back toward Aeron. “We are of a different cloth. That has been one of the hardest things when planning for the campaign, organization and coordination.”

He had reflected this often and nodded with understanding. “Yes, King Einir, I see that is a problem your people must overcome. The elves ourselves were low in number, and disunited during the Dark Wars. My father tells me that we had just came out of centuries of oppression and enslavement. Whatever task is ahead of you, whatever opportunity seems too risky, and especially if anything seems too great a task.. The best advice I can give you, is to implore you to go beyond all odds. To rough it through the bad and vanquish any foe you come across in vigor. It may seem impossible, but then again, they don’t remember the safe generals.” He tipped off two of his fingers to the Chief, saluting him off his circlet.

Reflexively Einir thumped his chest with a fist, almost grunting a nod in unison. Then he looked off with worry in his grey eyes, before shaking his head. “Not bad advice at all. I have many odds to deal with, eventually.”

Gradually but surely the sun rose higher and higher into the sky. The army though missed its deadline and was forced to camp before reaching Dyfheim. It could still be seen in the distance, a long sandy beach with a man made hill raised above it all with a large town built on top. The whole settlement surrounded by pines and other coniferous trees.

As Einir walked around the camp, waiting for men to raise his tent he cursed. “By the ancestors. . . oh well we’re still close we just will have to make up time once we hit the Locllain lands further west.”

Through the business of the tired men wishing to sleep, but all the provisions being set before camp is ready, Aeron somehow found the chieftain. He brought none of his personal guard, to ensure he wouldn’t take any more resources from the queen then he had too. “Ah, I had thought you would be upset. I was going to suggest to you that you only bring a few battalions to Dyfheim. It would provide you with more time, and when we return to the camp with the reinforcements, we can have a staging point and your army can be off in mere hours… Instead of wasting time within the town, your army milling about.”

“You make a good point champion.” Einir seemed pleased by this idea. “I’ll talk to some of my other commanders soon about it. We will need to keep moving, especially since once we pass there,” he pointed at Dyfheim off in the distance, “we leave Ordivantes proper. There is an adequate amount of more land to the west of here I own but those tribes are far more recent additions. Willing, but recent. The Locllain are nearby so they won’t be an issue, the bronzemen are another story.” Einir had a pensive look on his face as light from a nearby fire pit caused shadows to dance along his face. More mumbling to himself than Aenor “hopefully Narien is well. . .”

Aeron looked at the expanse between them and the hillfort. He didn’t seem to be paying much attention to Einir, more focused on looking stoic, before he said. “Is there anything I should worry about as we enter this.. Settlement? You mentioned not all your people would take kindly to an elf, especially as we grew further west. I just wondered if I had to worry about any sorry drunkards speaking to me crossedly.” He wasn’t fond of beating off hooligans, but every now and then, a lesson had to be made, and this army was ripe to see what the elf could do.

“You are welcome to beat those that insult you champion. No I more meant something I never fully explained to Nienna in correspondence.” The young chief considered the wording. “When this land was raped by the dark forces there was a scattering. Many tribes mixed and mingled, some fled east gaining help of the elves, most had to flee west. So those closer to Galadriel received help from elves, while those further dealt with the dark elves of the enemy. Not to mention some of the tribes have a long history fighting dark elves of the ashlands. They might not be. . . wise enough to make the distinction between you and one of them.”

The elf considered this and smiled flashing his hair with a flick of his wrist.“They will soon learn the difference between a purebred and a mongrel, then. What does this have to do what you muttered early? Something about a… Near end?” He tilted his head and looked directly at the chieftain. It was obvious he heard, but he wanted to hear directly what it was.

“Oh I was just mumbling about a very dear friend who rushed off to start her own tribe, or banner whatever you easterners call it.” He gave mute chuckle “Narien you are always so enthusiastic.”

He raised an eyebrow, remaining silent. “Ah. I see. I would call it a band myself..” He shrugged and tried to nonchalantly walk away, but there was a burning within those eyes of his, like a roaring tide. He was very interested. “Wear a hood, King Einir, I feel the rain coming tomorrow..” It was a poetic way of saying something prophetic, but the chieftain wasn’t versed in elven poetry, it likely made a crude translation.

From this point on, orders should be arranged as one short term order, (aka a Mini) to one that might span the whole season/turn.

basically a short term order and a long term order.

ie . I wish to attack a kingdom. Short term order may be to raise and train my levy, long term my attack strategy.

Last edited:
Orlegníð
Part 1
mVzGfFx.jpg
As stray blades of grass swam through the air, Einir stared out at the field which laid before him as he stood upon a munchkin hill. Low rumbles came from the mismatch of tents and other pavilions. Banners of lions, eagles, harps, and other sorts formed a sparse forest amongst the blanket of men as they suffocated the sea of grass. Men of fiery hair, painted bodies, skin of snow, and tones of bronze moved to and fro. Stars of light flared as steel moved about.

“Not a tree in sight, will be hard to resupply the archers and spears.” Einir mumbled while scanning the horizon. They were still in allied territory, thirty miles from the border. He wiggled in his armor, quilt padding under a hauberk; which itself was under hard-boiled, overlapping leather, chest armor. Quite difficult to endure when in the noon sun. He could feel reservoirs building up under the stifling armor.

A breeze caressed him and abated the heat for a brief moment, flicking his red hair in a playful manner. Once the wind left the brutality of the heat returned. With sweat dripping in his eyes Einir rubbed at his face and walked back into the pavilion behind him. A moderate sized structure; within it a map laid out on top of a table He grabbed a nearby cloth, and dabbed his grey youthful eyes which burned from the salt of his own brow, then tossed it aside.

Einir walked over to the map and perused its contents. Operation Welaþ would soon begin. A fitting name as it meant to boil over. It showed a map of the region and a clear line stating where not to invade, something to ensure he didn’t run the risk of overstretching his forces. Where are those diplomats? He wondered while tracing a finger over the land west of his position on the crumply map.

Who will join freely? Where my terms too lenient, do they find me soft? Must I face all of them? “No. . . no” he spoke softly. You are a dragon those who resist will be destroyed; failure is never an option. He grabbed at his back, and memories of welts and bruises from his molding returned. Memories of a brash energetic child that needed to be something more for his people, for his family. They will all die, they will all die, they will all die. . .

The Wilder chief tapped the side of the table with a low thumping sound. A loud sound of him inhaling air and exhaling it quickly was all that came from the cramped pavilion interior. He bent his head low and mutedly prayed. “Orlegníð, man is of your sphere, give me victory and I shall sacrifice a great field of foes in your honor.” He stood there with his eyes squinted shut for a full minute in silence before continuing to scan the map.

The flap of the tent opened and Narien stepped inside, her long golden hair tied in tight braids, wearing a linen tunic clasped around her waist tightly with a wide leather belt and high leather boots that reached up to her knees. She came into the tent with an air of easiness, and regarded Einir casually as a friend, behind her, stopping just inside the tent flap and maintaining a rigid stance was a stranger, fully clad as a knight of Ecclestius.

The High Chief spun around from where his back had been turned.“Hello, Einir!” Narien said with an amiable smile, bringing her fist firmly to her chest in Wilder fashion. “It’s good to see you.” He squinted at first from the shine that silhouetted her appealing frame.

Repeating the gesture with a loud thump, Einir replied “Hail Narien, it is good to see you.” His tone was still authoritative from a day of yelling orders and commands. What has it been two, three, more months? I have been so busy I lost track of time. He did begin to soften when speaking to his close friend. “I am glad you came, how has your tribe faired?” He went back to hunching over the map a little, but only after walking around the table to continue facing her.

Narien laughed, helping herself to a pitcher of water that sat on the table, filling a clay cup. “Just fine, in fact, we just got reinforcements.” She nodded over to the plate clad knight just inside the tent. “Meet Sir Lucias Eklow.”

The man stood forward with a slight nod, his face as stone. “Greetings, Chief Tudonii. Your reputation precedes you.” The same one that once bullied Narien?

“As does your’s though it would appear adulthood has changed you as much as it has Narien and I.” He took a long time to examine the man. Lucias was large even by Wilder standards, like a Locllain or Dyffed, it didn’t make him a great fighter but it was good for intimidating foes. Eklow was also holding himself with sense of stern dignity and confidence. “What business does a knight of Ecclestius have here?” Einir kept constant eye contact with the knight challenging him like a hound.

The knight met the gaze of the chief, speaking with an easy confidence. “To serve at the pleasure of my princess, my lord. To see to her safety at the behest of King Varian Krestarii, my king.” It is doubtless not lost on you nor he that I was once Varian’s vassal as well.

Narien took a slow drink of water. “My brother sent him here to keep an eye on me.” Perhaps to spy on me as well. . . unfortunately I am already spread too thin to have him shadowed. Much less have guards for this command tent.

Einir looked to the princess. “So a champion or bodyguard at least. Very well so long as you are well with this, old friend.” He dropped his gaze to glance at the map once more then back up. We have too few men for too long a front. “Sir Eklow do be prepared for heavy resistance. I expect a lot of conflict on this campaign.”

“I am well versed in war…” Eklow began before being cut off by Narien.

“That will be all, Sir Lucias. See to your men. I will brief you as soon as I am able.”

“Perhaps I could…”

“You’re excused,” Narien said flatly. Lucias clenched his jaw and gave a curt bow before spinning on his heel and vacating the tent. Narien turned to Einir with a grin. “I have to admit, it's fun giving him orders.”

His red hair sashaying back and forth “haha.” Einir regained his composure and gazed back to her with some of his previous drabness. “I should know, you enjoy trying to order me around.”

Narien put down her cup and regarded the chieftain seriously. “You look troubled, Einir.” Her eyes dropped down to the map laid out before them. “Have they spurned your tribute?”

Einir bit the inside of his cheek while his eyes flew across the map again. “The Borci would be a useful tribe but previous raids by the Alma have soured relations.” He looked back to her wanting to get lost in Narien’s eyes but unable to from the reality of the situation. “I expect they killed my messengers or they will hobble back with noses and ears cut off.”

He clutched the rim of the table for a moment, with a dour expression. “I’ll have to purge them. The usual those too old, sick, and young to fight are spared. Everything else dies.” He seemed weary at the last sentence; he rubbed the bridge of his nose. Memories of the failed coup years ago came back, how he had to behead numerous Helvita members before they were back in their proper place.

Narien walked around the table, closing the distance between them, and leaning back against the table as she gazed firmly into his eyes. He stopped rubbing between his eyes.“We both knew that this was always a possibility. You will meet them head on and you will destroy them. Anything less will only invite blood for generations to come.”

“You are right.” He glimpsed back down to the dreadful map. “The greatest issue, as alway, will be keeping the other major tribes of my people in line. Bolac, Llain, Ronan, and maybe Juhani will keep in line. Kwatoko’s Alma though along with Tathere and his Quellstrii took a lot of damage when Ghulkizad came through. I want the campaign to stop at the border, they very well might go past it to force the revenge war. Then there’s always the prideful Basquanii, Yerentai is. . . younger than I.” Einir chuckled for half a second. “And, you know how impulsive I am. He might take land south of my deal with the orcs and refuse to relinquish it.” Einir looked back to Narien from his voiced ponderings. I can always kill them for betrayal, it has worked before. “I should be able to keep them in line. After all we have three great enemies to take revenge on, and cannot afford the tribes to do whatever they want.”

Narien gave him a clap on his shoulder. “There, you see! You have nothing to worry about.” She pushed off from the table, leaning against Einir with a calming hand on his cheek. Her warm body pressed against him, along with her natural smell wafting. “You are the High Chief of Ordivantes, and you will find a way.” She turned and sauntered toward the tent opening, Einir staring the whole time. “When do we march?”

“Tomorrow, we start taking back Wilderana tomorrow.”

Narien smiled. “Then come see me tonight. Lucias brought some Azeratian wine.” She disappeared behind the flap of the tent, her melodic voice drifting behind her. “See you tonight, my Chief.” He stifled a cough and went back to planning.

Rumors spread of a Wilder force forming in the west. ((Return to Character Sheet)

Last edited:
Fantasy%20Garden_zpsiqrkxjwq.jpg

The Garden Path
Featuring GreatSlayer & Tapscott

The evening air was filled with the sweet smell of lilacs, roses, tulips and various other flowers in bloom as Cacame walked along the winding garden path. The serenity of this place, a place that combined the wild nature of Galadriel’s forest with the Elves love of beauty, always helped him relax. Brought to Lurien by his mother as she visited Nienna, as she so often did, Cacame was becoming more and more restless as the lack of anything to do pressed in on him. His friends were currently only interested in chasing women or drinking themselves stupid, activities that did not interest the Elven princeling the slightest.

As he turned a bend along the path the small frame of his Aunt suddenly came into view. Eylinn Mindrilla, Therain of the Green Chasm, Queen-Dowager of Ecclestius… Or more importantly, as Cacame felt, one of the few people he could actually talk to anything about.

Hesitating slightly as he took in her furrowed brow and clenched hand he shook himself and advanced anyway, a grin rising to his face. “Eylinn! Aunty Eylinn!” His Aunt turned around gracefully, a warm smile lighting up her somber face. Clasping her hands behind her back, she stood firmly as she looked at Cacame with affection.

“If it isn’t my favourite nephew, blessing me with his presence! Did you just arrive?”

“Yeah, me and mom got here just yesterday. She wants to meet up with Aunty Nienna I think.” He scratched his head as he looked across the lake before focusing back on Eylinn. “What are you doing out here? I mean it’s nice and everything but I figured you would be at the archery range or something.” She watched over the waters and touched them again with the stick.

“Traveling down memory lane. It was here I first stood my first night in the Elven capital, many years ago. Before your mother had even met your father. Long before I had even met him. It was a starry night, I remember, and I had just left the halls of the castle’s Lord. Our queen’s father, Armas.” She sighed, and looked upon her hand. “A simpler time, with simple tasks. When all you needed to know was where to aim your sword, and try not stray too far from it’s point. A horrible time. But it was at least simple.” She threw the stick into the pond and invited Cacame to sit beside her on the grass, not caring if she would stain her plain yet elegant dress.

Staring at the lake, transfixed, until the ripples subsided Cacame eased himself down next to his Aunt. Taking her hand in his with a comforting squeeze he looked out into the distance thoughtfully. Eylinn had always seemed to be a sad or tired whenever he saw her. Cacame didn’t know why, nor did he know if he should pry to try and find out. “I don’t know much about then, I mean I wasn’t even born… I… Was it that bad? Mom doesn’t really talk much about it unless I ask her, and even then she doesn’t seem to like me knowing much about any of that…” Frowning to himself he fell silent momentarily letting the musical birdsong of the garden wash over them.

“That doesn’t matter though.” He said finally, breaking the silence, his face lighting up with his usual smile. “It must have been interesting though! Travelling and meeting new people, doing new things! There has to be good and bad there!” Eylinn let out another chuckle as she leaned back to gaze at the skyline, letting Cacame to feel a warm glow of pleasure as his Aunt smiled.

“I am sure your mother only wants you to read more about it yourself. I’ve heard she’s quite strict with your studies. If she is half as strict as I was with her…” She gave him a mischievous smile. “...I cannot imagine the horrors you must have gone through.” He blushed at her words, unsure if she was just jesting or actually pointing out his slothful tendencies.

“She did encourage me to read and learn heaps. I guess it all paid off, I mean I can write like a proper nobleman, and it’s really easy for me to get the lords and ladies on side.” He snorted dismissively. “Some are nice, but I can see why Mom taught me all that stuff. Some are just crazy. The lessons I had as a kid were much more fun! I remember that Elu and I-” He paused suddenly as he said his brother’s name, his smile disappearing. Memories of his deceased brother flashed through his mind all but erasing his train of thought. Clearing his throat he continued as if nothing had happened, pushing the memories away. “We used to find some of the curse-words from the old languages. We thought Mom wouldn’t be able to understand us, but, well, she did. I swear my ears still hurt from the shouting she gave us!” Rubbing his ears ruefully the smile on his face returned somewhat diminished, his eyes distant as he remembered the past.

Eylinn laughed. “I could have used her as a tutor then. I’ve yet to clean my own language from its smut and crude tone. We had only each other as children. It was a simpler time, but not necessarily a better one. There were no kingdom to safely hold any threat at bay. We only had ourselves, and a millenia of decadence to attest for the rot in the world.” She curled her lip. “And only our little family, held up in our tiny rooms. I can see why she’d not fancy speaking of those trying times.”

“But at least you had family!” Cacame exclaimed, laughing happily. “I mean you’ve still got it now, an even bigger one, but you had it then!” He paused awkwardly, stammering over his words. His mother rarely spoke about her childhood, and Eylinn seemed to hold the same distaste for the past. Cursing inwardly he berated himself for bringing up the painful memories of her mother’s death and her father’s depression. “O-Oops… Sorry Aunty, I didn’t mean to… Talking about back then, what with your Mom… I didn’t mean to bring back the memory.” He shifted unhappily on the ground, fiddling with a stray leaf.

“A-Anyways, how’s Anwën and the others? I haven’t seen them in a while. Keeping busy?” He nudged her playfully, his mind moving on from the awkwardness of the last moment. “Taking after my favourite Aunt and going wild?” Eylinn shook her head.

“Wild? Me? You must mistake me for someone else entirely. Your cousin is taking to her duties more now, on her way to Highathar to speak with the Dwarves. I wouldn’t wish it upon any of my children to have the same past I had.” She leaned her head to the side, studying Cacame with an attentive gaze. “How does you fare? Taking on duties?” She smirked. “Taking the ladies by storm?”

“Err…” Blushing again, his pale cheeks glowing pink, he mumbled his words. “I… I don’t do much work… At all really… I get bored and don’t do it properly.” His face flushed even redder as his words became almost inaudible. “I’m… I don’t do much with women. I always feel stupid around them.” Shaking his head he laughed quietly. “I guess I’m a bit like Armas, or, I was. Dunno where he is right now, but he used to be the quiet type. Guess the men in our little family are all a bit on the nervous side.” Eylinn smacked her lips.

“I think what you need is practice. How will you grow comfortable around them when you think yourself stupid in their presence? You think they feel that way?”

“No! Er, yes? Well, maybe. I don’t know. How do you even practice something like… that? Courting people is meant to be serious, yeah? I mean, I don’t want to go chasing after women and stuff like some guys do. That doesn’t feel right.” He began to look panicky. “Wait, does that mean something’s wrong with me? I mean Mom said Dad chased after women before he married her, and a bunch of my friends like to go out looking for girls, but I don’t. Do I need to do something? What’s wrong with me?” He looked at Eylinn desperately, hoping she had an answer. He hated feeling like something was wrong with him, and that was happening far too often these days. He offered a silent prayer to the Creator that Eylinn had shown up when she had. Chuckling Eylinn held his hand.

“Nothing a little confidence can’t remedy. Perhaps a common interest or two? Anyone caught your eye?” He shook his head slowly.

“I haven’t even looked… I mean… I guess I could. There are some pretty women at court. Lots of them seemed nice enough when I had to talk to them. Err…” He looked at his Aunt sideways as he licked his lips, his mind going down a worrying path. “Does courting mean I have to… You know…” Eylinn’s face turned a deep crimson.

“Of course not! And do not fear it. When you’ve found the right one, it will not sound frightening in the slightest no more!” Cacame sighed thankfully, his face as red as his Aunt’s. He knew she had the right way of it, she always had the right answer.

“Good. Um, thanks for talking to me about this Aunty. I don’t really have anyone else to talk about it much, or stuff like that.” Cacame gave her a quick embrace before coughing and standing up, stretching his legs his mind wandering down another path. “Oh yeah, I heard that Varian was coming to visit… I know that Mom doesn’t really get along with him, but since he’s family I was thinking of seeing him. Could you not tell her about me meeting him? I figure she’d get angry.” She shook her head.

“Your secret is safe with me. And you’re making the right choice. You are a fine young princeling who is entitled to his own will and values. You needn’t hide that. In fact, I would guess as much that it would be exactly what your mother would had liked to see.” Eylinn straightened her dress and rose from the ground. “It was a pleasure seeing you, nephew.” She said with an even warmer smile.

He laughed happily, glowing from the praise. “Thanks Aunty. It was good to see you to. Maybe I’ll see you for dinner.” He smiled suddenly. “Or maybe I’ll try my hand at some of that courting!” Laughing Cacame walked off down the garden path, whistling happily as he let his mind flit from thought to thought letting his worries melt away and be forgotten.

Last edited:
Morning Hunt
(Joint IC with Pluto)

It was early in the morning, the hooves of the horses could be heard as they rode through the Saxon forrest. The green leafs, the plants and the air filling their lungs, Varian’s men on the side of them, running as best they could to keep up with his and Nienna’s horse as they chased after a boar. Varian picked up his arrow, placing it between his fingers on his bow as he rode at full speed, drawing it and firing, barely missing the boar as the hunt continued, several more arrows were shot, but eventually one found the mark and the boar they hunted fell down and dropped over. The servants going over to pick it up, to prepare for later, it was clear that several of the servants were exhausted after the run, them barely being able to breathe, while others of them desperate for the water in the skins. It was just Varian and Nienna, along with the servants, the dogs and the horses, Varian had little stomach for his aunt, and wasn't entirely pleased with his mother for that matter either. “Well shot.” He said as he looked towards the Queen.

“Thank you,” Nienna replied as she took a deep breath. “It gave quite a chase didn’t it?” With a laugh she rubbed the neck of her horse, a solid white stallion from the steppes of the Basquanii horsemen, whispering congratulations into its ear. “And do not worry about being outdone by an old woman, we elves were born with bows in our hands,” she teased.

Varian laughed, “Old?” He asked. “Hardly.” He turned his horse around, it was a large black warhorse, not the best for hunting, but it needed exercise, he had owned the horse for years now, having grown rather fond of it, to his own surprise.. “Have you ever considered why our lust for power is greater, why our greed is more excessive, why our lust is twice and why the beauty of my mistresses are more cherished than that of Elves?”

“You do not cherish our beauty?” Nienna asked with an amused smile as she looked at him over her shoulder. “You may be the first human lord to feel that way.”

“I cherish that of mistresses more, theirs fade within the decade. In twenty to thirty years my looks will be gone, I may even be in the ground, so will those of my mistress and my son will begin to age. Yet you will be beautiful will shine on Coal for the next century without a difference, our beauty is all the greater because it doesn't last, it's fleeting and that is what makes it all the more precious.” Varian chuckled. “Don't misunderstand me, many Elves are beautiful, your sister especially, but they will be beautiful for so much longer than the rest of us. Time is the most precious thing we have.”

“I see,” Nienna said as she urged her horse forward. “It is better because it will soon be lost. I can understand that, I suppose. It does happen to us too, of course, if somewhat more slowly.”

Varian laughed. “As much as what I may just have claimed, I envy you all the same, with every fiber of my being, to live for so long, to shine for so long, it's a blessing.” He said with a smile as he rode forward. “So tell me honestly, now that we are alone what is your thoughts on the marriage.”

Nienna sighed, simply riding for a time before looking over at Varian. “It will ultimately come down to what Armas and Anwën want, that, I hope, can be agreed on. As to the matter of aid in offensive wars as a part of the treaty, I cannot say that any of my vassals would be pleased with such an outcome.” She smiled playfully to lighten the conversation. “We cannot all be so absolute in our rule.”

He returned with a playful smile of his own. “That's because I take what I want.” He said as he rode along. “As for Armas and Anwën, I can agree it will partially come down to what they want, if they both refuse I won't force her. Should they both agree then if she will receive my blessing entirely depends on the treaty we shall make.” He looked at her, “All your vassals, or simply house Mindrilla?” He asked, doubtfully.

“I cannot imagine that the western Elves would be too fond of the idea either,” She answered. “But you cannot discount Mindrilla just because it is your aunt and mother, their words hold weight in Galadriel more than any others, perhaps even my own at times. Eylinn would likely have been made the queen herself, if circumstances had been different.”

Varian picked up his pace a bit. “I do not discount them, I merely question if their voices are not too close to your ears that their tune may simply shut out those of the others vassals. They hold a lot of power in Galadriel, some would say too much.”

“Then it is a good thing that they have my trust.” Nienna said simply. “To be honest with you Varian, the most that I could promise for such a treaty would be the support of my own personal forces, which is certainly not inconsequential mind you. I would not expect Eylinn to send soldiers of the Chasm, who have suffered so much, on needless wars.”

“I would prefer a number, as you may understand that I would be reluctant to agree otherwise, our definitions of inconsequential vary.” He said offering her a slight smile as he knew it may sound rather harsh and offensive. “Truth be told, I do not expect much from my mother nowadays, I would be surprised if she even supported me in any diplomatic talks.” Varian sighed. “Do you share their opinion?” He asked, looking into her eyes in hopes of seeing the truth. “That I am a tyrant and that my rule is tyrannical.”

“Not a tyrant, no,” Nienna said quickly with a shake of her head. “Though you cannot deny that the potential exists in a way that it does not in a kingdom like Galadriel. Luckily I have always found you to be a good person, and I do not expect that you will use your power wantonly.”

Varian laughed, “I'm glad your spies do not know all of my secrets.” He said as he rode on. “Yes the potential exists, to a greater extend I will also admit that, should my heir’s heir prove unworthy of the task that the Creator has given him, then the kingdom will suffer. But you cannot deny that it also brings benefits, and stability, no more warring nobles, counts, dukes and viscounts who attack one another and burn down each other's cities.”

“I cannot say that we had such problems in Galadriel,” Nienna said with a laugh. “But suppose that I could guarantee some two thousand men to your ambitions in the future.”

“Two thousand properly trained and equipped, or two thousand called up when the need arises?” He asked with a smile, curious.

“Professional soldiers Varian, have some faith,” She said with a laugh. “Of course, more would be available should you find yourself subject to an unprovoked attack.”

“I'm afraid my faith was broken some time ago.” He said with a laugh. “But I can accept that, if we are to informally come to terms, what dowry would expect to be paid? I imagine there still is a greedy finance master somewhere in your castle, wouldn't want to upset the poor man”

“My mother, you mean,” Nienna said between laughter. “But I think it is your place to offer a fair dowry, not for me to dictate it to you. And do keep in mind that this is my only son and child.” She grinned at him from over her shoulder.

“Surely, for your only son to marry such a lovely princess, wed and bed her would more than enough of a dowry.” He said with a laughter. “Well, what is my sister worth.” He rode forward, sitting in his own thoughts, ignoring how that may have sounded. Varian would need to provide a sufficient dowry, he knew that, she was a Princess of Ecclestius, and it wouldn't reflect well on him should he underfund her in hopes to save money. But more importantly it was his sister’s wedding, hopefully her only one and she did deserve to be treated well and cherished on this issue. “Twelve thousand Sovereigns seems a generous dowry.”

Nienna couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow in surprise at the amount, clearing her throat as she responded. “Generous indeed Varian, I would certainly consider that to be fair.”

He couldn't help but smile. “I thought my sister’s honour was worthy of a decent price.” He said with a small chuckle. “Will it be like in Ecclestius, that Armas will take control of her funds and manage them for her?”

“Of course not, for one she is a noble lady in her own right as heir to The Chasm.” Nienna said quickly. “But even if she were not, her money would be hers, not Armas’s.”

“Should have guessed.” He said with a polite smile´, he may as well have given his mother an expensive gift instead. “But very well, if that is your custom I won't object.” He road ahead slowly, not much was in the forest today, was everything asleep or had he already depleted it, surely the latter seemed unlikely. “There was another reason I hoped to talk with you, preferably first outside the earshot of my mother and aunt.”

“And here I had simply hoped that you enjoyed my company. I don't suppose it's something that I won't have to lie to them about should they ask?” Nienna said.

“That depends, do you wish to create something to lie about?” Varian asked with a bit of a smirk.

“Not if I can help it,” she responded with a laugh.

“A shame.” He responded as he laughed, “I am planning a pilgrimage to the west, to the Light Basin, bringing soldiers with me, but also scholars, to dug out any knowledge there.”

“What’s brought this on? Forgive me, but you have never struck me as particularly pious.” Nienna asked.

“Its easier to sell being pious to my people.” He said with a smile. “Who knows, maybe it is time that I sought spiritual relief.” He said, not truly being able to keep himself from laughing. “I want to find the old books, the ancient scrolls and secrets of the Light Basin, to preserve it in case it should fall to the Dark. Equally important simply for my scholars and young advocates to study so we may learn something.” Varian didn't lie, he was truly interested in the text and scrolls that may be hidden in the Basin, having yet to be properly uncovered they could prove to be a source of the most extreme and valuable knowledge, and perhaps even some advancement from old ages.

“You suppose that the Paladin Order will be pleased with you of all people bringing armed forces into the Basin? Their leader is of Westmarch as I recall,” Nienna said somewhat cautiously.

“If he lets the politics of Westmarch interfere, then he is a fool and I do not believe that the leader of an order of the Light would be such. As for my forces, they are for my protection, to give aid, and to protect the scholars.” He wasnt going to come as a conquere, truth be told he was surprised she even suggested such a thing, it was natural not to travel alone, and if anything then the Paladin Order could use the aid.

“In any case, why did you not want Eylinn or Evhana to hear of this? It's not as if you will be able to hide it.” Nienna asked, looking at him curiously.

“After last night I in truth have little desire to speak with either, certainly not my aunt.” He said honestly before he sighed. “But I am about to ask things I do not know if they would support, the first is that I wish to ask if you have an interest in sending Elven scholars along with my expedition. Second if you would be willing to either provide some soldiers for this, or what we truthfully need for the Elven scholars are boats, or that you are able to cover some of the expenses. And thirdly I wish to ask that your sister Linwë joins the pilgrimage and represents Galadriel.”

Nienna simply smiled, clearly holding back a laugh. “I do not think that Linwë much cares for studying old scrolls.”

“I know.” He said with a wide smile. “But that is not why I wish to bring her, she is your sister and can represent you.” He said as he rode along. “And I enjoy her company.” His smile maybe giving a bit more away than he wanted, it had been far too long since he had spent time with her.

“I’m sure,” Nienna said with a knowing smile. “I could recommend that she join you, certainly.” She waved a dismissive hand. “The rest I expect is simple enough, you'll have your boats.”

“I'm glad, you wish for this to happen before or after the marriage?” Varian asked, honestly hoping she would say yes so he wouldn't have to wait for a wedding first.

“I don't believe that we know there will be a marriage.” She responded.

Varian raised his hand. “Fine then, if we are to respect all customs, Anwën and Armas can join me on the pilgrimage, they can discover their feelings or lack of, and then we will all have a clear answer when we return.”

“Ah, now Armas certainly will enjoy that I think.” She nodded her head. “Yes, let them join you and have this be done. Then perhaps we can enjoy this week and you can reconcile with your family. ‘Heavy is the head that wears the crown’ Varian, but having your family makes it lighter.”

“I think we have very different ideas of family, for it is a long time since mine made the weight lighter, it was eight years ago since someone did that.” He said as he shook his head.

“Even the children do not help?” Nienna asked sadly.

“The marriage went well and good for the first few years, it helped for a bit, but not anymore. Now the worry is just all the bigger.” He sighed. “I suppose Ares at least removed the worry that the kingdom should fall into chaos should I die, now I just worry about what man he will turn into. My marriage is political, my children will be used in politics, and no, I am not close with them, then again can one be close with an infant.” He asked, more to justify to himself as to why he spent so little time with his children, either it was tradition, matter of state, them being too young. Varian never bothered looking hard for a reason, something which at times bugged him.

“I suppose not,” The elf queen said without sounding particularly convincing. “Given time I'm sure that will change though. As you say, maybe the spiritual relief of visiting the Basin will help you.”

“Maybe miracles do exist.”

Nienna simply laughed, spurring her horse into a trot. “We shall see. Come, let's go back to the cabin.”

Tapp and I have already begun processing orders. If you haven't submitted yours yet, please do so over the weekend. You get one short term order, and one long term.

A representative of the Republic of Kalar arrive to the court of Salah Al-Aziz Nasir Fatumid, Emir of Damasiz with a proposal for the rebuilding of the decaying and dying trade lines of the realm of Damasiz and the Eastern lands.

The Realm of Damasiz and the Republic of Kalar agreed to the following:

On the Matters of rights to the merchants. Each the realm of Damasiz and The Republic of Kalar Agree:
  • Full protection of merchants against violence.
  • Full protection of merchants against unlawful activities intent to harm them, fraud, assault, robbery and other matters of law.
  • Full protection against illegal seizure of their property.
  • Full rights to Transverse any body of water of each territory.
  • Full right to transverse the lands of each territory.
  • Full rights to all activities for commerce, be it selling, buying, financing, transporting and others.
  • Full rights to own property.
On the Matters of Tariffs:
  • The Realm of Damasiz agrees to reduce significantly the Tariffs upon Cargo from Merchants flying the Republic of Kalar Flag, be it by land or sea its method of transportation.
  • The Realm of Damasiz and Kalar agree to not charge extra fees or taxes upon merchants from the respective realms.
On the Matter of ports and Piracy the realm of Damasiz agrees to:
  • The Creation of the Kalar Merchant Guild in the Port of Bania.
  • The leasing of 15% of Bania port for the Kalar Merchant Guild for 200 Golden Kalar, as such to include docking and warehouse areas for Kalar merchant ships. The lease is to last full fifty years, with an option to renew it for the same period of time (clause to repeat).
  • Support anti-piracy activities in the area.
  • The docking of Kalar Warships operating against piracy in the area.
  • The Leasing of 5% of the Bania Port for 50 Golden Kalars to act baseport for Kalar Anti-Piracy activities and warships. The lease is to last full fifty years with an option to renew it for same period of time(clause to repeat).
On the Matter of Diplomatic Relations:
  • The realm of Damisz and the Republic of Kalar agrees to the stablishment of an embassy on each nation.
  • Both nations agree to provide a building or a empty lot to the other to build or remodel at the discretion of the embassy controller.
  • Both nations agree to promote friendly relationships, trade, anti-piracy and anti-brigand activities.
  • Both nations agree to promote stability and peace in between ech other.
[X] Laria Zarer, Foreign Affairs Minister
[] Salah Al-Aziz Nasir Fatumid, Emir of Damasiz

A representative of the Republic of Kalar arrive to the court of Salah Al-Aziz Nasir Fatumid, Emir of Damasiz with a proposal for the rebuilding of the decaying and dying trade lines of the realm of Damasiz and the Eastern lands.

[X] Laria Zarer, Foreign Affairs Minister
[] Salah Al-Aziz Nasir Fatumid, Emir of Damasiz

[X] Salah Al-Azis Nasir Fatumid, Emir of Damasiz

Most of you have already been given your mini for this turn. As well as giving you an outcome of your short order, or a special event, the mini also marks the progression of time, from early spring to mid-spring in this case. Depending on the outcome of the first order, you may wish to alter your long term order, changing it to a safer short order. The rewards won't be as great, but the risk far less.

ie - your short order is to scout a neighbors defenses. Your long term is to raise your army and initiate a campaign. Your scouts report your neighbor is double your strength rendering your campaign highly risky. Based on that outcome, you decide to hold military drills instead, training your army to be more effective.

latest

The Wraith Queen

The quarters of Lord Drethaund Jhuune swayed slightly as his flagship, The Wraith Queen, sat in harbor on the Isle of Bone. Rain battered against the window as Drethaund stared intently at a series of maps on a large oak table, pausing only long enough to drink from blood-filled wine glass. Two maps stood out prominently from the rest: a maritime map of Agorath's coasts and a political one of the, presumed, current polities of the continent. On the bed next to him lay the seeress Xune Xarae, lightly napping beneath many fur blankets.

As Drethaund drained his glass of the last of its contents and set it back on the table, the soft clink it made disturbed the quiet enough to awaken Xune. "It seems I wasn't enough to keep your attention from your fleet once again," she spoke as she stretched beneath the furs. She held a fur to her chest as she sat up, propped against the backboard. "I'll have to try harder next time."

"You said that last time, and every time before that," Drethaund said, not bothering to even look up at the woman upon his bed. He pulled a new map from out below the others as she pouted a fake pout.

"You hurt me with your words my Demon Lord."

"And you tire me with your sarcasm and constant distractions Seeress. Did your dreams show me what I seek this time?"

Holding her hands to her temples, Xune closed her eyes and spoke in a mystical voice. "The future is hidden in the past. Places already traveled to will bring further wealth and power. The greatest reward, however, may come from a different direction than you are known for. And, a bed on solid land may bring opportunities not contemplated before." This last sentence Xune said with a fanged smirk and one eye open, but with the same voice none-the-less.

"Once again your riddles fall short of what they were promised," Drethaund signed as he pushed away from the table to look out the rain-covered window. "Though it does provide me with insight for my next move... minus your comment about a bed on land." With this he gave Xune a sideways glance as a smile that had begun to form upon her lips quickly broke into a scowl. "I must remind you, as always, that our encounters will remain confined to my ship. I will not have the island lords telling every trader that comes from Dreagar that I am bedding my chief adviser."

With this Xune stood from the bed and walked ever so slowly towards Drethaund, letting the bed's furs fall to the ground. "But you are bedding your chief adviser, my dear Demon Lord," she said as she came in close to him, softly caressing his cheek with the back of her hand.

With a look of disdain Drethaun grabbed her hand. "Get dressed, and summon the council and my children. It's time to organize the next raid."

"As you wish, my Demon Lord."

The History of the Kingdom and Region of Ecclestius
(lore)​

nExOz0X.jpg

(Borders of the Kingdom in Ecclestius in light blue, claims in purpleish)​

The region of Ecclestius has always been one of prosperity and plenty, fields of grain on both sides of the Rill and along the coasts and the inner kingdoms, making it the most populated region in Agorath, and the Kingdom of Ecclestius the most populous kingdom. In the eastern part of the kingdom, the duchy of Wallachia provides the kingdom with great resource of stone and iron, fueling the growing economy and industry of the growing cities, along with hills outside of Azeratii granting the city a good amount of iron for the growing shops. The Wolfswood provides the kingdom with great timber, along with great game, the majority of forest now belonging privately by the King for himself and his court to enjoy during great hunting trips.

Most historians divide the periods of Ecclestius into three periods, with several sub periods. The first period is the pre-Imperial, the Imperial era and the Ecclestian Era.

The Pre-Imperial Era:

The pre-Imperial era is without a doubt the least recorded period within the history of the region, what however is known is that the period is the one stretching by far the furthest. It was here that the ancient houses of Krestarii, Saxon, Wolfe and Celestian fought one another. They all ruled as petty kings, controlling small patches and pieces of land here and there, often at war with one another in often impossible attempts to gain dominance. Alliances, coalitions and wars all changed every decade, there were periods of peace, one of them lasting a miraculously twenty years following two marriages arranged by the then King of Wolfen. While other larger kingdoms formed around the Ecclestian lords, then they were often left alone, at times being under the rule or influence of foreign monarchs. This changed when the first dark war began, the kingdoms united together behind Eccesiasties in the fights against the Dark Hordes, and their master, the Dark One.
Eccesiasties was able to bind the houses to him and his children, being a natural leader the whole of the region later known as Ecclestius would follow him, and die on his command if he merely asked. At the final battle at the Light Basin, Eccesiasties along with many of his followers and his military leaders would die as they banished the Dark One.

Age of Empire:

Following the battle, the leadership of Ecclestius lay in ruins, it was here that a young man, the grandson of Eccesiasties would unite what was left into the what become known as the Golden Empire. The previous petty kings were no more, they were granted the rank of Duke and as such became the Emperor’s principal vassals. Ecclestius was never declared a Kingdom, instead an Empire to signify its importance, and the decent of its rulers from the One who banished the Dark One.

Over the next five centuries the Golden Empire would expand and conquer the rest of the Eastern Continent, conquering the kingdoms of the Nords, the Elves, the Dwarfs and the Hronidens. The vast population, resources and determination of Ecclestius and the Empire as a whole ushered in a golden era from around 450 to 680 A.o.E. The economy expanded, canals were set up across the land, and the Empire, a new flow of trade not seen since then brought great wealth not only to the nobility, but to the lower classes, the stability the Empire provided was able to allow the peasants to live without fear. This however ended in 682 A.o.E upon the accension of Argrus III, under whom the Empire stagnated, several dire reforms were never carried out, but the true mark of decline happened at the turn of the year 700. It was here that he usurped the Crowns of Hroniden, Norseland, Highathar and Galadriel, claiming kingship over it all. This sparked a civil war which lasted throughout his reign, and his successors were no better, and over the next three hundred years the Empire declined, constant civil wars erupted until finally in 1000 A.o.E by the then ArchMage Qylan and High Steward Mathlion with the decree:

The Treaty of Burnt Bridge
Edios Amendum Die Vitros
May the Creator Judge us, May He Forgive us.

The Authority of the Empire is herby rendered obsolete. The Crown of Ecclestiasties is transferred to the High Steward for safe keeping.

The provinces of the Empire are to return to being independent states and the will of the Throne may no longer be projected upon the sovereign rulers of Arorath.

The Golden Army is to disband and only be called to banners when the entire realm is under threat.

The Crowns of the Old Kingdoms shall be entrusted to the High Steward and ArchMage only to be delivered unto those deemed worthy in sight of The Creator, Men, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, And the Assembly of Lords as dictated by old custom of Agorath.

With this treaty, the crown of Ecclestiasties was put aside, never to be worn again. What happened over the course of the following year was a triumvirate which included the Krestarii family and holdings, banding together with other powerful lords who sought to take control of the now leaderless Empire. Following the betrayal of Qylan, the Elf known as Zepher and the Orc known as Ra’Gru, the assembly decided that it needed to appoint leaders in the various regions and officially declare the Empire for dissolved, this was to be the last assembly.

The great houses of old such as Coamenel were rewarded their ancient crowns, the kingdoms of old restored. The biggest change which many had expected was the formation of the Kingdom of Ecclestius, a separate Kingdom from the Imperial Province of Ecclestius that preceded it. It was furthermore not declared an Empire, as it was following the Dark Wars, instead the title of King and Kingdom was chosen. The biggest surprise however was the man who ended up becoming the new king, Asharian Krestarii, who just less than a year prior attempted to usurp Imperial power.

The Ecclestian Era:

The Ecclestian Era came to be twenty-five years ago, the kingdom is split into three various eras which follow the reigns of the monarchs who have so far ruled. King Asharian (1001-1004 A.o.E) King Ares (1004 A.o.E to 12 A.o.C, a reign lasting thirteen years) and finally King Varian (12-? A.o.E)

The Reign of King Asharian (1001-1004 A.o.E)

King Asharian had never been a warrior, as could be seen by several unfortunate campaigns carried out during his tenure both as lord of Azeratii, and as King of Ecclestius. However what he lacked in martial strength he made up for in a silver tongue. This can be seen by several occurrences, his ability to secure the crown following the triumvirate, and his early establishment as a leader of the light forces.

His skill and influence even after the end of the Assembly can be seen in 1001 when the Light forces and leaders, all came to Azeratii where the first grand council of the Light was called. It was here that a cordial peace and understanding was accomplished, as well as Therain Eylinn Krestarii (by that point still Mindrilla) of the Green Chasm was selected as the overall commander of the Light Forces.

This was followed by Asharian’s accomplishment in uniting the various kingdoms of Ecclestius, with Wolfe and Saxon joining his realm early, but other lords such as Celestian holding out. It would take several months before they bent, and it wasn’t until the marriage of Princess Anastanii, the mother of King Varian, was married to the heir of the Three Rivers.

Despite the otherwise brighter outwards appearance, then Asharian’s dynastic policies were met with issue and a large shadow always loomed over the family. The first issue to present itself occurred before he became the king, when his daughter had an affair with Ra’Gru who would later turn to the dark. The affair left his daughter pregnant and she eventually gave birth to her son, Varian. The resulting scandal would haunt Asharian for the coming year, leaving him in constant debate as to the fate of his grandson, which he came close to ordering the death of several times. Eventually he decided that he couldn’t order the death of his own blood and instead handed the guardianship over to Eylinn Mindrilla.

Towards the end of in the early months of 1004 disaster struck the royal family again when the Dark Lord Birch assaulted Azeratii. While the city only suffered moderated damage to limited districts, then among the dead were Asharian’s son and heir. This left the succession open, and the loss of the crown from the dynasty a real possibility. Now his granddaughter, who was the daughter of the late crown prince, was by far too young to rule and without support as the heir, not to mention sickly. The likely outcome was that the Crown would pass the Celestians, whose children had claim through the mother, Princess Anastanii.

What followed is still left unknown to many, but what is clear was that a young commander named Ares was adopted by King Asharian and proclaimed as his heir, while Varian, who had up until then been largely forgotten was named second-in-line and adopted by Ares.

xiLvUwQ.jpg

King Asharian adopting and knighting Ares Krestarii​

While the royal documents as to the events unfolding in the week either has been hidden away or burned. Then it has become clear that the Duke of Saxon played a paramount role in the outcome, taking on the roll as Kingmaker. The reason he did this was unknown, if it was a personal dislike for the Celestians, a power play to secure his own influence or a true belief that Ares would make a much better King is a mystery, with only the Duke Wilhelm himself and perhaps his closest relatives truly knowing the motive. What is also clear is that Wolfe, the other influential ducal house in Ecclestian politics at the time had also given support to Ares. It is this support from the great lords along with Asharian’s own grief and despair for the loss of his heir and the insanity of his wife, and his own desire that his own direct family in form of Varian would eventually reclaim the throne, that many historians now attribute to Decree of Succession 1004 A.o.E. Ares proved to have popular support shortly following his elevation when Lord-Commander Gerald of Westelli, commander of the Golden Army, accused him of being the previous traitor Ra’Gru. Only the Celestians voiced any concerns, and the matter was quickly put to rest without issue and is as such remembered as nothing but slander by the then Commander who had already fallen to the Dark One’s influence.

Asharian would fall ill and die a few months later, though in truth then his health had been in decline over a longer period, and the death of his son sapped the last will to live, when his own dynasty had been secured he gave up and passed away quietly in the middle of the night.

The Reign of King Ares (1004 A.o.E to 12 A.o.C)

The reign of king Ares is currently the longest reign in the short history of the Kingdom of Ecclestius, though it is unlikely to stay as such for long with the ascension of Ares young son, Varian. The reign of King Ares is one of civil unrest and an increase in royal and central power. While Ares was still only a Prince, he ensured the fealty of the Ordivantes tribe, which would break free a decade later, and while it was short lived, propelled Ecclestian power far into Highathar and beyond.

Despite the support of the upper nobility, many in the city of Azeratii were unwelcoming to their new king, in large parts because they felt him a foreigner. This distrust led to a short rebellion in the opening months of Ares’ reign within the capital, it resulted in several prominent merchants being executed, along with many old slavers who had hoped for the return of their trade. The rebellion was however short, and proved to be of little significance.

The early reign of Ares saw an increase in Ecclestian military adventures and diplomatic importance, though much of the latter is attributed to King Asharian’s early reign diplomacy. Ares took personal command of the Ecclestian armies, taking an armed force of almost 20.000 into Galadriel to repulse the invasion of Dark Elf Zephfer. It was a gruesome battle, which saw the death of Duke Celestian who was burned alive, but in the end the Ecclestian forces prevailed. Ares would continue to lead the Ecclestian armies alongside his marshal and most trusted adviser, Wilhelm von Saxon. They took parts in several battles across Hroniden, and upon the final battle split their forces with Ares leading the armies to recapture to the Golden City, while Wilhelm would hold the Burnt Bridge, which was the main crossing point across the Rill into Ecclestius.

In the end, the Ecclestian armies under Ares, along with the rest of the Light Forces managed to banish the Dark One, though with heavy losses. King Ares himself was wounded in the shoulder, a wound that would help lead to his death twelve years later, the wound itself was a parting gift from Birch who was afterwards slain by the Dwarf Quicksilver.

The next few years would see the resettlement of much of the Golden City within Ecclestian lands and a general prosperity as trade and peace began to rule once again. During the fourth year of the new age, a riot erupted in Azeratii, causing moderate damage to the city, the most important outcome of this was the rise of Baron Rodney in power, who showed keen administrative skill in cleaning up the city. Rodney would spend the next two years rising quickly in power, following the two years he was appointed to the Kings council, and within the year was the prime adviser to Ares.

The following years would see a steep increase in royal power, with taxation reforms, land reform following the large regions of free land after the Dark Wars, which was added to the royal domain, and an increase in the Royal Army. As the lands east of the Rill had been left untouched by the Dark it proved an incredible strong powerbase for the king, and the lack of destruction by the Dark, along with the decrease of the nobles armies, allowed the King’s administration led by Rodney to take control of most affairs.

eSVCgJ9.jpg

Baron Rodney​

This proved much more difficult in Westmarch, the destruction of infrastructure during the Dark Wars meant that it proved problematic to carry out the Kings will, and a lot harder to control. By year 9, the nobles rebelled against the Crown. The Crown sent the army under the command of von Saxon to defeat the rebels, and it was met with early success, but over the course of the war the success ended and it turned into a stalemate. By late year 10 King Ares took to the field as well with a new army to end the rebellion, but it was of little use. Most of his army was in fact split up into the command of Duke Clare, whom together with Prince Varian had to respond to a rebellion of house Celestian, who rebelled with the goal of overthrowing the king and asserting their own claim.

The two rebellions continued until early year 12, when Ares led an army into an ambush in which he himself died. At the same time the rebellion in the Tree Rivers came to an end when their stronghold was captured by forces under Edward, Baron of Eklow. The Duchess, King Varian’s half-sister, died during the siege along with her younger sister. The third sister and last remaining heir to the Celestians and the Duchy of the Three Rivers relinquished her claim and joined a nunnery.

It was the first time that Varian met his mother in fifteen years when he was declared king outside the now ruined stronghold of the Celestians, his mother joined a nunnery together with her daughter in a location only known by Varian, Baron Rodney and Baron Eklow.

Reign of King Varian (12- A.o.C)

King Varian ascended to the throne of Ecclestius late in his fifteenth year, he had just finished the campaign in the Three Rivers when he was told the news of his father’s demise at the hand of the rebels. He was rushed back to Azeratii where Baron Rodney stood prepared to guide the young king.

The civil war with Westmarch had cost far too many resources, both in terms of materials but also in lives, it was decided by the council that it would be unwise to continue the civil war, and as such a peace was struck with the lords, they received their independence and the new border would be established just west of the mouth of the Rill.

Following the Peace of the Rill and towards the end of year 12, Varian was crowned King of Ecclestius in the Great Cathedral in Azeratii. In year 13 a plot led by Duke Clare came underway to remove Rodney from power, as he had become chief council of the young King, and in practice ran the country with blessing from King Varian. There were several allegations thrown against both parties, but in the end the King protected his minister.

The plot spelled new issues for the kingdom, and to heal the wounds and finally put to rest the troubles of rebellion and fighting nobles, a marriage was arranged between King Varian and Lady Anne Clare in year 14. The marriage secured that the Edict of Varanu which was issued later in the year, forbidding the nobility from raising armies, and dismantling internal fortifications far from the front apart from major city hubs, transforming Ecclestius into an absolute kingdom, the first and so far only of its kind in Agorath.

The following six years has led to prosperity for the Kingdom of Ecclestius as peace reigned once more. The Great Migration from Westmarch following the instability in the region allowed many new towns, villages and farmland to be put into use across the kingdom. This has allowed an economic recovering following the loss of Westmarch, not to mention a good recovery of human resources. Many different administrative reforms were carried out in a short span of years, consolidating the royal power and administrative system for the new regime. This, combined with the increased demand for goods in the new villages, more and more industry has sprung up across the Kingdom, allowing the Kingdom under firm rulership to propel power never expected before.

Treaties should be handled with long term orders rather then simply posted in the thread with an x. You must send envoys with a copy of your proposed treaty for the respective leader and to take part in negotiations. When dealing with NPCs, you can be more generalized with your orders. The player that enacts the treaty uses the order, while the player that receives gets an event, along with a bonus order in how to handle the proposed treaty.

GLIMMER

“Remove the blindfold”

Light blinded El for a moment, her eyes frantically blinked until they accustomed to their surroundings.

“All right, you pansy elves” she growled while trying to get away from her custodians despite the shackles “Time for you to…”

She stopped midsentence when her mind finally understood what her eyes were seeing. The great and arid planes were gone, in their place there was a lush and beautiful garden. It was more like a forest, with trees growing in every direction and from every wall.

That immediately catched her attention.

The walls were not the monolithic and rocky surfaces belonging to the reddish canyons all over the steppes. They were absolutely plain, as if some unknown force had forged them like the blacksmith forges a sword to be as thinner as sharp. Streams of light came down from the myriad of windows carved and opened along the walls.

Silhouetted against the light dozens, no, hundreds of luminescent pollen dots were gently carried away by the breeze. This was not a suffocating and hot air stream but something fresh and sweet. Strange birds sang as they fly across the place while the murmur of water came from the irrigation ditches marking the limits between the paved roads and the forests.

Rich mosaics, filled with detail and finely crafted statues were found across these roads, where the elves and El stood at that very moment.

“Did someone put a frog in my throat or what?” gasped El “What kind of elvish magic is this? Where the hell are the steppes?”

“Your eyes do not deceive you” said a voice behind her.

Startled, Eli quickly reacted by turning around on her heels in order to face the source of the mysterious voice.

“You are still in the steppes, inside our home” said an elf “El, daughter of Muller”

Once more she found herself staring speechless, incapable to find the words that so easily came to her when she was with her father and her companions.

The elf was tall, not a great height compared to the other elves present but still a little more above the rest. He had black long hair cascaded down from his head and covered his shoulders as if it was another cloth of silk like those under his armor. For he wore a coppery armor of exquisite design, made of intertwined strips of cold steel over a long coat mixing silk and tanned leather. The leather looked as thin as a parchment but also comfortable and resistant.

His eyes had the color of molten copper and his facial features seemed to be carved right from one of the statues surrounding her: Sharp, well-defined and hard, as if someone drawn them with broad brush strokes standing perfectly still.

“You won’t be needing those anymore” he added with a casual tone.

In response to his words, a pair of armed elves removed El’s shackles.

“Uh… thanks?” she said, rubbing her numbed wrists “Em… your majesty?” she added, hoping to maintain the current change in her situation.

A diadem rested on the elf’s head. Despite the complex design and the beautiful materials it was something simple compared to other garments wore by the elves, with no marking on its surface, inscriptions or jewels. Yet, there was something unnatural about this particular elf. For he wore the diadem as if it was a crown and everything on him, from the way he moved to how he simply gazed upon everything and everyone: he carried an unmistakable aura of nobility with him.

Eli thought about the great statues they saw while entering into the steppes. Tall, noble, powerful and proud, he looked the same as if one of those statues just came to life and started walking down the road.

“There are no kings nor queens on the steppes” assured the elf with a rather serious tone “But we understand your meaning and accept your kindness” he slightly bowed his head and for some unknown reason that made her feel embarrassed and humble. She didn’t liked that feeling at all.

“Well then, your grace or whatever I should call you” she promptly bursted to forget the feeling “Am I supposed to be your prisoner? Because you live in a pretty place but the trip here was no pleasant at all” added in a defiant tone while giving some annoyed glances to the other elves.

The elf with the diadem didn’t answer to her demands. Instead he focused his attention on another elf that bend the knee to him, handing a long sword with great reverence, hilt first, the inner Light glinting within the steel fabric of the blade.

“That’s pop’s sword” exclaimed El “I am supposed to take care of it until he comes back. Give it to me!”

That earned her quite a few angry looks from the elves gathered there, but the one that spoke to her before didn’t bothered to look to her, still examining the sword with a combination of reverence and the scholar's fascination.

“Do you know what this blade is, young one?” asked the elf, gently sliding his fingers across the blade, its dim light illuminating his solemn semblance.

“Of course I know what it is!” she snorted “That’s the magic sword of my old man. It glows during night”

“So simple… so short-sighted” the elf shook his head with a sigh of disapproval and sadness “This is Aglarphen, the Brilliance of Glory. It is nothing less than the sword of Athaelas, ancient relic blessed by the Light itself to help the lineage of Theras to protect their people in times of need” he closed his eyes as if he was trying to feel the sword itself on his hands, slowly he swing the sword, leaving a faint yet audible whirr in the air “With the Light far from our world to cast its blessing upon the faithful, the value of this sword is beyond imagination”

“Pfft, yeah. I know that too, but we ain’t selling it” laughed El “Pop like Glimmer a lot and we don’t need torches since he got his hands on it”

“Glimmer?” the elf frowned at the girl, his voice remained soft and well-mannered yet she couldn’t help but to feel a chill on her back “Is that how you call this blade? This is elven history, a sacred relic. What secrets, what stories of wonder and glory could tell us if it was given a voice? This... Glimmer has returned to the elven people and it will be guarded people as it is our right”

“That was not the deal!” yelled El “You lied to us!” a pair of elven warriors stepped forward between El the the other elf, unsheathing their swords in harmony. The elf they were protecting raised his hand.

“Peace!” he demanded and everyone seemed to freeze in time under his command “There is no need for bloodshed El, daughter of Muller. I have kept my word. You have been accepted as a warden and a sign of goodwill, but you are in the Glawaron now, where no human have ever been allowed to set foot before. You are not our kin, you are a stranger to us. You and your companions are trespassers and the only reason I held my sword was because of this. It was not I who asked you to be here on the first place” he showed the glittering blade to El “Either by wits or by force, your father will have to prove that he is worthy of carrying this sword before we return such treasure to human hands. Until he returns, you are welcome to stay with us”

“You gave him until the start of First Harvest. What will happen to me if he does not make it in time?”

“If he fails on his quest, then we will keep the sword as it should be. But you will be returned to him, never to come back to our lands. Your father is a Melcphen, One that Worship Greed… a mercenary as humans call them. We will never be friends with those who seek the false light of gold, yet I believe the Path of the Light opening before us in this case. For he came to us, he surrendered this sword and you without violence, he took a sacred oath and a difficult task without real need for both. Perhaps Kristoff Muller will prove a better man than he is with time, perhaps not. But we will see”

Suddenly, something appeared inside the mind of El. A thought so horrible that she turned pale and began to sweat.

“What… what if… he does not come back?” she muttered.

“You will spend the rest of your days here. Never to see the outside world again” the answer came immediately and without any doubt, but there was no cruelty in them or harshness, just cold indifference as if that was the obvious outcome “Escort the human girl to her cell” he commanded.

“Cell?! You bastard! You lied to us!” she yelled again.

“You will be treated as a guest and we will try to make your time with us as comfortable as possible. I assure you that you will want for nothing, but as I told you before, no human deserves to bask in the glory of our Glawaron, neither peer into the sanctity of our Gwilgwithörns

“Liar! Fake! Cheater!” yelled El while more and more guards dragged her away by force.

“I am Ioron Elhadôn” said the elf with solemnity “And soon you will learn that I never lie”

No Regrets

The landscape altered dramatically as one approached the coast from the Ashlands. Not only in colour as scatterings of vegetation began to perforate the scenery, but small settlements and farmsteads also became a feature of the landscape. The land could hardly be described as lush, but the feeling of desolate wilderness was fast receding.

Ayasún always had mixed feelings returning home. The very idea of ‘home’ evoking both constraint and the ease of familiarity. At times she still pondered her decision to settle, she did not regret it - indeed, she refused to regret anything - yet she did not understand what had truly motivated her. These were the thoughts that absorbed her as her party stabled their mounts and strode towards the great stair. Less of a stair and more of a path that descended into a wide cavern, the great stair acted as the primary entrance to Akkum.

The entire height of the walls of the central cavern of Akkum were peppered with caves and tunnels that had been turned into homes, shops, or storage, many connecting to, or part of, those exposed on the exterior of the cliff. Shafts of light penetrated in places, but largely left the space wallowing in shadow; something that suited the Drow quite well, used as they are to living under a canopy of ash. The faint ring of hammers on anvils announced that the blacksmiths were hard at work forging anything from armour to trinkets.

A motley flock of children abandoned whatever game they had been playing and ran over to greet the returnees. One lad charged a warrior with his wooden sword, and the man entertained him by parrying with his scabbarded sword for a while before giving him a cuff round the ear. Another lifted Aya’s dress to hide underneath, only to pop out again and announce gleefully that she was not wearing underwear, before running off giggling.

A capricious smile flew across her face as she called playfully to his retreating back “A warrior must guard his intelligence, lest a rival should steal a march upon him.”

A dignified looking drow who was showing some signs of age shuffled up and addressed Ayasún “Annesi, welcome back. I am sorry to impose on you so soon after your return, but there are some matters, or rather, individuals that require your attention...” Tolui served as an aide and counselor in the rule of the small town.

“Yes, bring them.” she waved her hand, and turned to her son. “Find something to eat, Mal. Something warm.”

BlCAItE.jpg

A perhaps somewhat fanciful impression of the interior and seaward exterior of Akkum

Aya climbed a flight of steps, mostly cut into the rock, in places constructed out of timber, ascending to near the ceiling where her chambers nestled. A collection of rooms facing the cavern were connected, by what had originally been a tunnel barely large enough for a child to wriggle through, but had been hewn into a passage, to another cavity that opened onto the seaward cliff face.

As she pulled aside the insulating drapes and opened the shutters the salty sea air blew in on a gentle breeze with a faint aroma of roasting meat, grilled by someone below. The exterior, a sheer cliff that descended to the ocean, too was riddled with caves and tunnels, now closed off by a disorganised tangle of masonry and wood structures that half sprouted from, half clung to the rock face, forming the ramshackle dens that the Drow of Akkum called home. Occasionally these would collapse in a cloud of dust, rubble and broken timber that would plummet to be swallowed by the hungry seas below. Aya’s cave-turned abode led out onto a small ledge that now served adequately as a balcony, a low stone wall serving to separate one from the precipice.

As Dusk set in, a handful of small fishing boats still plied their trade, the fishermen attempting to sort their final catch of the day whilst the light lasted. The first inquisitive Drow to investigate the waters around Akkum had found that the most plentiful fish, a flat, black creature with bulbous, frog-like eyes and a ridge of small spines down its back, possessed an offensive taste. Fishing had not been a worthwhile endeavour until it was discovered that the origin of this was a sack of poison that could be removed carefully, so as not to saturate the flesh in foul tasting liquid during filleting. Although there were some who still refused to touch fish, no doubt having been particularly unfortunate victims of those early catches, it had now joined the game, yams, mushrooms, and increasing amounts of cereals that made up the standard fare offered in the Akkum markets.

A discreet cough alerted Ayasún to the arrival of the petitioners, and she headed back down the passage to the interior chambers. As she entered Tolui motioned for a rather ragged looking drow to step forward. Calloused hands spoke of hard labour, frayed clothes of the lack of means to replace them, and a worn expression of a lifetime’s misfortune. “This individual has admitted to the murder of his bondmaster.” Tolui indicated the drow beside him. “He had been committed to twenty years of service in lieu of debts he could not afford.”

“What is your name?”

“Ötemis, Annesi.”

Malamir returned with kebabs. “Well?” Aya asked. She took the kebab her son offered her and nimbly pulled a chunk of meat off the skewer and began to munch the succulent meat.

Ötemis shuffled his feet uneasily. He looked at Tolui for guidance, but the old drow remained expressionless. “I…” he licked his lips nervously. “I couldn’t take it anymore. He was miserly with the others, but they were regular workers. With me it was beatings and dockings of my food allowance. Even though I was his hardest worker. He knew I couldn’t leave, see.”

Slavery was not a widespread practice amongst the drow of Akkum, and enslavement of their own kind did not happen at all. However, when a drow fell into so much debt they could not pay it off they would be expected to pledge their labour for a time. This did not give the bondmaster any authority or rights over the bondman, only his labour.

Aya listened impassively. Probably lying about being a hard worker. “What incurred your debt in the first place? How many years have you paid?”

“Gambling, Annesi, and five. Five years, Annesi.”

Tsk. Aya thought in disapproval. Property ownership had brought the disease of gambling with it, and whilst it was not widespread was deplorable nonetheless. “What of his kin, what recompense do they demand?” She asked Tolui.

“Nothing, Annesi. No one has raised a complaint in the name of the deceased.” Tolui looked mildly abashed as he continued “He was not well liked, even by his kin.” There was no greater shame than to be abandoned by one’s kin. Whoever this individual had been was fortunate it had not occurred during his lifetime. No doubt Tolui feared the dead drow’s spirit may become vengeful at this posthumous disavowal.

Aya shrugged, turning back to Ötemis. “Your actions are not despised, then. Discharge your debt to the satisfaction of his kin. Nothing more will be required.” Not looking at the drow’s expression upon her pronouncement, she sucked her fingers clean of the kebab sauce and then, satisfied, stretched like a cat. “Mmm, so who’s next?”

Misunderstanding and Misspelling
((Or, At Least Our Map Wasn't Designed by Apple for iOS 6.))

Zaahir Farad Rostani, Shah of Herasnia, was in his personal residence in Almeria when a messenger from the city of Kalar arrived. Zaahir personally looked over the message when he noticed something was wrong.

“This has to be some kind of joke!” he remarked. “Why would we trade with Kalare?”

The messenger looked a bit confused as he spoke. “Kalare? No sir, this is no joke. Hand me the message.”

Looking over the paper, the messenger was examining every little line and stroke for any kind of mistake. “I don’t see any Kalare on this message,” he concluded after getting to the bottom of the paper.

Zaahir was handed back the paper and took time to look over it carefully. “The handwriting must be hard to read at places,” he admitted.

“My apologies for calling you Kalare. I don’t even know how you could be Kalare. They would be in the north, if there are any left. Anyway, let Kalar know that I am interested in a deal next season. You can leave now.”

As the messenger left, Zaahir asked the messenger one more question. “What city are you in right now?”

The messenger looked at Zaahir weirdly before answering, “Alameria. Why are you asking?”

“I’m just curious,” Zaahir replied. The messenger then left while mumbling something under his breath (probably something about the heat messing with your mind).

After the messenger left, Zaahir was approached by Rashed Tawfeek, the steward of Herasnia. “My lord, is there something wrong?”

“There has been something bothering me for a long time, Tawfeek,” Zaahir confessed. “Why is everyone saying Alameria? Shouldn’t it be Almeria?”

“Isn’t that what all the maps and travellers say? Alameria?” Tawfeek questioned.

“That’s because people are using maps that have the incorrect spelling,” Zaahir dismissed. “ Have a look at the map of Herasnia on this wall. Is it Alameria or Almeria?”

“Almeria.”

“That map has been around since at least my father’s reign,” Zaahir explained. "My grandfather and father used Almeria, not Alameria! There is also another mistake I have spotted with these new maps! Have a look at this book. What is the title?”

“The City of Mutikabir,” Tawfeek read aloud.

“Not Mutikbir,” Zaahir emphasized. “Even this official court record lists Salah al-Din as, and I quote, ‘Guardian of Mutikabir.’ Why would court officials in Hroniden get the name of the capital wrong?”

“They would have no excuse, sir,” Tawfeek admitted.

“I know why these mistakes happen with these maps,” Zaahir continued. “It’s because these cartographers are using a master copy to create new maps, which means mistakes may happen if they aren’t careful. I’ll admit, the master copy they would have used isn’t as beautiful as these new maps. Also, these mistakes are probably minor at best, but I’ve always had a feeling that something was off with these maps.”

“Is there anything else of importance,” Tawfeek said with a lot of emphasis on the last word.

“That will be all. You are dismissed.”

While Tawfeek was moving out of the room in annoyance, Zaahir was taking his quill and making two corrections to the map.

((This IC that’s just casually chatting with the fourth wall is only meant to poke fun at the minor mistakes on the map as well as a mistake I made (confusing Kalare with Kalar, but seriously, that is the language equivalent of putting on the phony glasses with the phony nose and phony mustache). So don't feel bad, @BlackBishop, we all make mistakes.))

Hymn of the Faithful

The Jagged Spire thrummed with the chanting of the faithful, their feverish singing echoing all the way to dungeons far below the earth. Lying in filth, hundreds of feet below the caress of the Sun, shuddered the pathetic form of a prisoner. His scabbed lips moved wordlessly, echoing the words that the worshipers far above sang.

We thank you Father
For all that you have done
In your name we spill the blood of the faithless ones

For you we strike out at our foes
For we wish to see your will imposed
The enemies may run, and the enemies may hide
But from your justice they cannot fly​

So in your name we send this gift
A body befouled by light, to be alit
The embers will reach your realm up so high
Their cries shall soothe your sleep in time​

Into the pyre the faithless must be cast
To hasten your return and see your will unmasked
So let us hear their final cry
And let our wise-folk, your will, descry!​

The smell of cooking flesh began to waft down the tower not long after the screaming started. While many of the imprisoned shuddered and stoppered their ears there were more who began to chant along softly, their hearts and minds taking a strange comfort from the mesmerizing words coming from above.

In the Light we are blinded
In the Light we are burnt
It is in the Dark that our wounds no longer hurt​

Our King, your Chosen, shows us the way
We promise your will shall be done this day

Fear us now you beings of Light
We are endarkened, we are the night
Your God is dead, ours shall return
You shall all serve Him, and us, in turn

The Maegi

tumblr_npqq4q2pkp1qkbpm3o1_500.jpg

The hot, arid air of the Ashlands enveloped the priestess as she sat upon a ridge, looking out toward the east. The blackened and barren landscape stretched on beyond vision, yet beyond the infinite haze, she knew lay the Wildes and the insidious east. She was adorned in black silks and leathers, a cowl and veil that hid her face. Taking a deep breath of air, the Maegi exhaled slowly, closing her piercing black eyes and concentrating. She felt the primordial forces of Light and Darkness entwine all of existence, the holy duality entwined in cosmic balance thrown into chaos since first sin. A balance that now is beyond restoring.

Behind closed lids, the eyes of the Maegi began moving rapidly back and forth, sensing the powers in the land beyond. She felt the captured rage of Golems, the seed of life upon the barren steppes, a deep mountain reeling in the face of darkness, a great power masked in sadness...

The Maegi's eyes opened suddenly, and she began gasping for breath, shaking off the fear and panic. It was the redeemer, and even now she sensed her great power. The Maegi had been captured by her once before, and would have been dead if not for the Dwarf. The Maegi stood up, looking behind her toward the western coast, where a fog obscured her view of Dreagar Isle, the faint tower of the spire protruding like a burnt finger from the fog. Carefully, the priestess began to descend from the ridge.

These past decades the east had been preoccupied with piecing together their tattered lives in the wake of the war. So to has the west, for that matter. Now, the war but a memory and tales for children, their retribution would come swiftly. Clasping a rock, the Maegi looked eastward from the cliff wall. The redeemer's greatest weakness was also her greatest strength. Her love of friends and family steeled her resolve, while opening her to pain. How does one thwart that which is a target, yet resilient as plate?

Her feet finding the ground, the Maegi pushed off the cliffside, turning to face a party of soldiers gathered there. Amidst their ranks, bound and kneeling, was a bloody drow, a gag tight in his mouth.

"Did you honestly think you could hide from me, V'rirr?" The Maegi seethed menacingly. The captive merely looked down, dignified in defeat. "You sow the seeds of chaos, flaunt the will of our master, and now you go to your death." She leaned down, placing her forefinger beneath his chin and directing his gaze to her. "It matters not, for you died long ago. I have mourned the drow you were, and I will celebrate killing the drow you've become." She turned to the party of her warriors. "Take this wretch back to the Spire."

As the soldiers disappeared into the labyrinth of rocks of their surroundings, the Maegi took one last look eastward. This feeling of fear was a stranger to her, one not felt for an age, yet all too familiar these days. Saying a silent prayer, the Maegil slipped away in the footsteps of her soldiers.

In the darkness, I hold no fear.

The Mo Targ'ijk's Club, it's hilt forever cloaked in blackened clouds, was now a well known object in both direction and lore. The weapon which struck down the evil Kjk'targ Cra'ijk and is now thrust into the earth in order to guide Mo's own people home. However, Mo'yokj knew that this story was not enough, for once in a red moon, the screams from the Club drifted wistfully past the tribe, alongside foreign smells.

It reeked of darkness.

Thusly, Mo'yogj wove a new story, one that would put these fears at ease for his tribe, so that they may rest easily. For it was known, now, that upon the top of Mo Targ'ijk's Club, the doers of evil stole away bad young children and stupid adults in order to put them back to slavery. Engaging in the most base of all sins, these committers of wrong had taken up on the Club because Mo Targ'ijk had banished them there, the hero he was. Thusly, when such an evil wind wafts through the village, they know in their hearts that it's not a boogieman out to get them, for they have been confined to the Club.

Soon, it was only Mo'yogj that shivered in the night when the ghosts of screams graced the winds.

Mini update coming today, with long term order outcomes to follow. Those who have yet to pm there short orders are S.O.L. They may still submit long term orders, however.