• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
cyc_khxwyaei9rz.jpg

Jayr al-Arshad
Hronidian
45 Years Old
Chancellor of Mutikabir
Midas Touched
Jayr al-Arshad was born in the outlying villages of Misr, bordering the Amenra River. The only son of a decaying noble house, Jayr was always expected to accomplish great things. Responsibility thrust upon by his father demanded he bring the house of Arshad to prominence. At an early age Jayr was sent of to Mutikabir to serve as a page within the court of Sultan Salah al-Din. He showed great promise with writing and arithmetic and was soon groomed for stewardship. At eleven years old Jayr's father died, and he became the sole male Arshad.

When Jayr came of age he secured the marriage of noble's daughter, the lady Safaa el-Malik. The Maliks being a prominent family from Damasiz, Jayr's influence within the kingdom appeared to be growing. He would go on to father three sons and a daughter. His promising family life would be shattered, however, as the Corpus epidemic broke out, followed by War of Darkness.

Two of Jayr's three sons would perish to corpus. While grieving their loss, Jayr was pressed into service and fought for the Sultan, battling the hordes of Darkness. At the Battle of Azure's Ridge, Jayr was wounded, and returned to Hroniden to recover. Soon later, the Dark invaded and overcame Hroniden's defenses. Jayr and his family fled toward the Golden City, tragically losing their daughter, who is missing to this day.

Taking refuge near Thaanos, Jayr and his family returned to Hroniden when the war finally ended. Jayr's family would take yet another blow with the loss of his wife, killed by a mob during the strife of the Ayyubid succession crisis.

Despite the painful losses, Jayr did manage to bring his house high, rising to become one of the most powerful houses in Mutikabir, owning vast estates outside the city, and managing the city's treasury. Only recently did Jayr manage to obtain the title of Chancellor, allowing him to wield greater power, setting diplomatic policy for the city and the emirate of Misr. It has been observed that Jayr's ambition is boundless, and many suspect he covets the desert crown.

To the Dwarves of Yurdaest,

I wish to extend my warmest greetings to the Dwarves of Yurdaest and make it known that I can understand the great plight of their peoples. For here in Goi'Orka we the orcs did for years were forced to name an unwelcome overlord our master. Thus I wish to make it known that we would be happy to extend a hand of friendship and alliance to your people. That said, an alliance would be contingent on Yurdaest ceasing all aggressive activities within the boundaries of Galadriel forthwith and your agreement to allow trade to come forth into our mountain home unmolested. If these two conditions are met your city shall have my swords and my gold at disposal for its defence.

-King Oruk Ruler of Goi'Orka and Conqueror of the Wilds

fee583c51af6fe3df5a71dc9de55895c.jpg
To Oruk, Warlord of Goi''Orka

Your letter was a surprising, but welcome, one that the brave Dwarves of Yurdaest have been debating about since its arrival. There certainly are parallels between our struggle and the one you and your kin fought during the times of the War of Darkness, and we can appreciate your knowledge of what we have gone through and continue to suffer through.

That said we see no reson as to why we should cease any of our raids against the decadent Elves of Galadriel. They are weak, they are soft, they are fat. Riches are waiting there for the strong to take them and we aim to be the first to crack open the bounty that is the Elven kingdom. As such we have a counter-offer. Lend us your swords, open your coffers, and march with us. Take the fight to the weak Elves of Galadriel and let yourself and your warriors gorge on victory and wealth. All that you take there will be yours to hold.

What say you, great warrior lord of the Orcs? Will you fight with us?

- Dàin Blacklocks, High King of Yurdaest, Defender of the Inner Mountains

A missive arrives mere days after the one from the Yurdaesti Dwarves was received, this new message handed over by grim looking Dwarves clad in the attire of warriors. Though respectful of you and your warriors they plainly state that they must stay until you are ready to respond.

6fe5ba5bb1af73cdb69d00e9905d7538_small.jpg

To Oruk, King of the Orcs of the Wildlands

It has come to my attention that you are currently treating with our unruly vassals, the Dwarves of Yurdaest. Listen not to the lies of Dàin Blacklocks. He, and his warriors, care only for plunder and bloodshed and would slaughter your men without hesitation if he saw benefit in it. Instead keep your attention within your own lands. The affairs of the High Kingdom are those for Dwarves to worry about, not Orcs. We are sure there are many important issues you have need of facing in the west and we urge you to turn your gaze there, lest you offend us and our ancestors by aiding those who would seek to see this High Kingdom crumble.

- High Deagrin Victor, High King of Highathar, Underking of the High Mountain, Lord of the Dwarven Clans of Highathar

To Oruk, Warlord of Goi''Orka

Your letter was a surprising, but welcome, one that the brave Dwarves of Yurdaest have been debating about since its arrival. There certainly are parallels between our struggle and the one you and your kin fought during the times of the War of Darkness, and we can appreciate your knowledge of what we have gone through and continue to suffer through.

That said we see no reason as to why we should cease any of our raids against the decadent Elves of Galadriel. They are weak, they are soft, they are fat. Riches are waiting there for the strong to take them and we aim to be the first to crack open the bounty that is the Elven kingdom. As such we have a counter-offer. Lend us your swords, open your coffers, and march with us. Take the fight to the weak Elves of Galadriel and let yourself and your warriors gorge on victory and wealth. All that you take there will be yours to hold.

What say you, great warrior lord of the Orcs? Will you fight with us?

To Dain Blacklocks, High King of Yurdaest, Defender of the Inner Mountains

Any plans to invade the Elves of Galadriel while you find yourself at war with your kin here at home are sheer folly. All you will achieve in your expedition is the destruction of your army and the loss of your independence. Why don't you turn your blades first against your sworn enemies before you start further conflicts. For while the High Kings and all their armies may not pose any significant threat to you at this time, should they along with the elves decide to march on Yurdaest you shall find yourself in a very different situation. However if you still seek to line your coffers then commence trade with me and let us forge a new route stretching from the shores of the west to the grain fields of the east. Ensure that trade is not safe in the lands of your dwarven neighbors and create a monopoly on it for yourself. Only a fool invades his neighbor while he has a storm brewing at home. Remember this. My original offer remains, yet I will have no part in any aggressive actions against the elves.

-King Oruk, Lord of Goi'Orka and Conqueror of the Wilds

To Oruk, King of the Orcs of the Wildlands

It has come to my attention that you are currently treating with our unruly vassals, the Dwarves of Yurdaest. Listen not to the lies of Dàin Blacklocks. He, and his warriors, care only for plunder and bloodshed and would slaughter your men without hesitation if he saw benefit in it. Instead keep your attention within your own lands. The affairs of the High Kingdom are those for Dwarves to worry about, not Orcs. We are sure there are many important issues you have need of facing in the west and we urge you to turn your gaze there, lest you offend us and our ancestors by aiding those who would seek to see this High Kingdom crumble.

- High Deagrin Victor, High King of Highathar, Underking of the High Mountain, Lord of the Dwarven Clans of Highathar

To Lord Deagrin of High Mountain,

I hold great respect for your line Deagrin, our forefathers fought together to halt the savage menace that was the darkness. However times have changed, for too long the dwarves have claimed dominion over all Highathar. A Kingdom shared by orcs, dwarves and men in equal parts. The dwarves of Yurdaest have decided they no longer wish to bow the knee to a far off King and I will support their claim. While I refuse to bring war to any land that is not my own should your armies or those of another claimant trespass onto my lands or those of Yurdaest they will be met with the swiftest retribution possible. I hope we have an understanding.

For once in a long-while, Loghain Warjaw maintained a smug grin, not one born of political nicety but of the satisfaction of victory. Time and time again he had grilled the scholarly commission, making quite sure his ears and eyes did not deceive him. But no, they did not, and as he gazed at the carved sculpture, fantastically perserved despite its mythic age, far off from the hustle-and-bustle of Ghullkazid proper began an archaeological dig that would vindicate his personal quest.

Only the best would do, so Warjaw would entrust the expedition in the service of one Baldhammer Ingo, a grizzled veteran of the Great War and personal companion in the most grim of days out east. Joined with a team of diggers, guards, and countless scholars, one way or another, the ground itself would yield to the ambitions of Ghullkazid. Warjaw knew within his heart just as well as the scholars knew in their dusty tomes: the Palace of Ithyl was real and the Chalice would be found.

To Dain Blacklocks, High King of Yurdaest, Defender of the Inner Mountains

Any plans to invade the Elves of Galadriel while you find yourself at war with your kin here at home are sheer folly. All you will achieve in your expedition is the destruction of your army and the loss of your independence. Why don't you turn your blades first against your sworn enemies before you start further conflicts. For while the High Kings and all their armies may not pose any significant threat to you at this time, should they along with the elves decide to march on Yurdaest you shall find yourself in a very different situation. However if you still seek to line your coffers then commence trade with me and let us forge a new route stretching from the shores of the west to the grain fields of the east. Ensure that trade is not safe in the lands of your dwarven neighbors and create a monopoly on it for yourself. Only a fool invades his neighbor while he has a storm brewing at home. Remember this. My original offer remains, yet I will have no part in any aggressive actions against the elves.

To Lord Deagrin of High Mountain,

I hold great respect for your line Deagrin, our forefathers fought together to halt the savage menace that was the darkness. However times have changed, for too long the dwarves have claimed dominion over all Highathar. A Kingdom shared by orcs, dwarves and men in equal parts. The dwarves of Yurdaest have decided they no longer wish to bow the knee to a far off King and I will support their claim. While I refuse to bring war to any land that is not my own should your armies or those of another claimant trespass onto my lands or those of Yurdaest they will be met with the swiftest retribution possible. I hope we have an understanding.

fee583c51af6fe3df5a71dc9de55895c.jpg
To Oruk, King of Goi'Orka, Conqueror of the Wilds

As I stated, the Elves are weak. Their wealth shall flow easily enough into our coffers. My armies can both strip the Elves of their glut of gold and defend our lands. If you will not join me in our plundering of Galadriel, so be it.

We shall not hinder trade going to your lands, and likewise expect the same treatment from you to any merchants that wish to travel to our mountainhome. Any further plans, of monopolizing such trade routes, cannot be done firmly enough until the Underking of the High Mountain acknowledges our independence. Lands that may yet be bloodied by war will no doubt be unappealing for merchants to traverse in any great numbers.

While we will not raid the Elves together I hope that a friendship between us and our peoples can remain.

May your blades stay sharp, and your beards grow long.

0y9ejcu.jpg

Sirin, wrathful daughter of Ayasún of Akkum

Late Autumn, 20 AoC

Sirin eyed her brother balefully. “Won’t allow it?” She repeated his words, feeling her temperature rise and her gut tighten as the anger coursed through her. Her blood boiled and demanded recompense from those who opposed her.

“It would be such a waste for you to die stuck with some orcish arrows. You don’t need to go and throw your life away in some worthless battle; it would be of far more use here.” Malamir should have known better, but as ever his mind was only half on the present.

She grabbed him by the neck and slammed him against the rough stone wall. “I will go. If you weren’t a weakling, you would go.” Her eyes hardened and she bared her teeth at him.

Mal looked surprised as he tried and failed to loosen her grip, but he was no longer stronger than her. The last years spent playing with paper had weakened him. They hadn’t sparred together in the past five years, and her body had grown. She was a child no longer. Nor had her brother’s absence stopped her from training with the sword, if anything she had doubled her effort. Hunting, riding, even swimming. Alone. As a result, her muscles were hard as steel. Her strength satisfied her. The superiority satisfied her.

Giving up on trying to free himself from her grip, Mal returned to trying to reason with her. “Sirin, you are important. You are Mother’s only daughter. Her heir.”

“You sound like an eastern weakling.” She snarled, “I am not her heir. They will choose whoever is best.”

“Times change, sister. New circumstances bring new ideas.”

“Don’t be so sure. Not so many think like you do.” Her breath was hot against his cheek. “You deserve to be alone, my life is not your convenience.”

“I shouldn’t have said that.”

“Good.” She gave his neck an extra squeeze for good measure before releasing him from her grasp. Despite her victory, her mouth was sour as she strode away.

evil_dwarf_final2.jpg

Name: Sakhec Shadowstalker
Race: Dwarf
Title: Dark Lord and Adviser to the King of Yurdaest
Specialty - Dark Magic: Sakhec has sacrificed all he has or ever will be at the dark altar of power, gaining foul powers and abilities in the process.

Biography:
Born many years ago in the lands of the Ghulkazzid, Sakhec began his study of the dark arts early... drawn to the dark rituals of the races of darkness, only to find nothing, but disappointment in the process. Though dark and grim, the rituals rarely had any truth in them and offered nothing to those that partook in them, except what they themselves brought into them. Disillusioned, but believing the old scrolls that magic was once a powerful force in the world, he took to the road... traveling the great cities and tombs of the west in search of hidden and powerful forces he could use to gain power.

The search took him decades of long and arduous, at times humiliating travel as he ransacked tombs of the old ones and tortured bits of knowledge from scholars and dark creatures alike... but eventually, in a sparsely populated region of the Ashlands he found the tomb of an ancient mage king, and gathered from the inscriptions the rites of ancient powers... learning of the sacrifices one must make to attain ultimate power.

Sacrificing a child, a treasure and his very soul, Sakhec was merged with a powerful evil spirit which lent unto him his powers, finally justifying to Sakhec's wasted years and many sacrifices. He was now a true power unto himself, but in the material world he had very little sway.

Hearing of the collapse of the Dwarven Kingdom to the East, Sakhec journeys to the kingdom in civil war, and using his unconventional talents soon became an adviser to Dàin Blacklocks, intent on usurping the volatile figure when the time is right and lead the Dwarves of Yurdaest... and elsewhere into the paths of darkness.

Last edited:
The History of Goi'Orka

Founded in ancient times by the men of the Golden Empire to guard the passes into the wilds, Goi'Orka was originally named Goidellic after one of the original tribes of men who had once inhabited the mountains of Highathar. For eons Goidellic was an essential part of the Empire's defensive networks in the far west as it halted many orc raids aimed at the heart of the dwarf realms within the Empire. Due to this history and the cities geography Goi'Orka has always been a fortress city with the original set of walls built in the Imperial Era.

Almost three hundred and twenty years ago now, Emperor Argrus III came to power. As a result of his mad reign the Empire would be unstable for a century and a half and due to this fact Goi'Orka, located on the far fringes of the Empire would receive its independence. In the first years of home rule the fortress town grew massively, with its population quadrupling from 10,000 to almost 40,000 within half a century. Politically the city would be ruled by a coalition of burghers and essentially operated as a free city. The place benefitted greatly from its geography, buoyed by the slave trade to the west and the harsh taxes and feudal levies on their neighbors to the east private enterprises within the city prospered.

All of this wealth and prosperity began to draw attention and without the military backing of the Empire, orc raids from the steppes of the wilds began to make it deeper and deeper into the mountain passes around the city. Due to this old, but suddenly more urgent threat a second wall was erected around the city in order to grant an extra layer of defense against the barbaric orcs. However this would not prove enough to save the free city and eventually Goidellic would fall to a great orc warchief named Orkad the Bonebreaker. This happened only 150 or so years ago and in the time since then much has changed.

In the immediate aftermath of the conquest of the city Orkad named himself King. Yet he had no clue how to rule a city let alone one with well over 60,000 inhabitants. Therefore prominent burghers who had been spared during the sack of the city were drafted to form a bureaucracy for the new Kingdom. He also had the name of the city changed, renaming it Goi'Orka as a reminder of the history of the city as well as a celebration of his conquests. The Kingdom he formed would prove unstable and for years different factions would battle for control of the town, yet eventually order would be restored. Goi'Orka would become the greatest as well as the only orc city in the known world and it would become the home of many titans of the Great War such as Ra'Gru and Borguk. During the great war the city was once more sacked this time by the forces of the darkness, however in the years since then the resurgence of the slave trade across the west and the efforts of King's Wreav and Oruk has seen the city recover. Under King Wreav a third wall was added to protect the city's outskirts and it is only Goi'Orka that can claim, undisputedly to be the most diverse city in all of Agorath. Today Goi'Orka stands strong and will continue to fight to earn her place among Agorath's great cities.

Last edited:
Secrets and How to Keep Them
Part I of II (With some help from Sneaky and Greatslayer)

‘’... the Westmarch rebellion?’’ Wyna sighed as Bynwyn entered the room, his eyes scanning across the room. The princess was also present in the room, they both had a look of defeat on their faces.

Bynwyn bowed as he addressed Wyna ‘’Your Grace, you were in need of me?’’

She had met with his eyes upon him entering the room. ‘’What knowledge do we have of the Westmarch rebellion? Participants, leaders, causation, anything.’’

Bynwyn was a bit confused, had there been something he doesn’t know of? …he wouldn’t question it yet. ‘’We do have a few reports dating from the rebellion, not too many but we can check the archive records for that your grace.’’

Wyna looked over to her sister. ‘’Bynwyn take my sister with you to look for these records, we will be needing them, I will call upon the other council members to meet up at noon, there are issues we have to attend to.’’ Malisa looked at her sister with disgust, then at Bynwyn with discontent in her eyes. She stood up and moved toward Bynwyn, they would start the long descend down the tower stairs accompanied by two servants. There had been no words shared on the way down, Bynwyn knew the princess’ feelings for him after her short but needed imprisonment. Once they were down in the main hall Bynwyn gestured the princess to walk aside him.

‘’We must go to the church’s archives princess.’’ He spoke in a soft tone of voice.

‘’I though the castle’s archive is where our records were kept…’’ As they had been, before her exile. ‘’...why the church?’’

‘’The Archbishop and his priests have gained an increasingly important role within the realm, they have become the teachers, our record keepers and are also meddling in our armies now.’’ As had most roles of the other council members grown during Wyna’s reign, mostly to his benefit, but he wanted to gather the princess’ trust back, there are yet so many uses for her within the realm… ‘’Your castle’s archives have been turned into a library for leisure, mostly to the pleasure of the women within the castle, they seem to like it.’’

Malisa chuckled. ‘’You remind me of a certain Ecclestian… reading might do you good as well steward, heck you might even enjoy it.’’ As the gate to the outside opened she took in a breath of cold fresh air.

He ignored the notion. ‘’Let's keep moving, the archives are behind the church itself.’’ They took the steps down from the balcony, Bynwyn looked down at the two guards guarding the steps. ‘’You two, with us, now.’’ One of them looked back at Bynwyn, nodding to the guard beside him. Bynwyn spoke to Malisa once more. ‘’Better have some protection against the nuisance that is the clergy, they aren’t too keen on people scanning through their records, even when it is by order of your sister.’’ He smiled at the thought of it.

They walked over the dark stone cobble streets toward the church. It was getting clear how much of the city the church owned, it had increased by a lot the last few years. The differences were clear as day and night, this part of the city looked so polished in marble as compared to the rest of the dark stones and walls in disrepair. It was also one of the more quiet parts of the city, the quietest apart from the amber forest. There were mostly priests out and about, with the occasional guard patrolling.

They arrived at the archives behind the church, the building looked similarly styled to the church, green tinted windows letting the light in on all the sides, the entrance itself was nearly the size of that of the castle, even though the building itself was significantly smaller. The guards opened the doors, making barely a sound that was how smooth the hinges moved. From the entrance you could oversee all the shelves, as the building arched toward the center, some of the shelves reaching two, even three floors in height. A lot of them yet to be filled however, the amount of shelves clearly prepared for future writings. At the eastern side of the entrance there were a few clergymen writing books, some translating by the looks of it, every letter turned into a piece of art.

Bynwyn stopped one of the clergymen, whispering something into his ear. The man quickly scuffled toward the shelves, gesturing Bynwyn and Malisa to follow. The search went on for a few minutes, even with the archives being so well sorted the amount of books were still overwhelming. The book was handed to the princess, which took it to one of the tables some of the clergymen used to read, a few of them at some of the tables looked up with mild annoyance on their faces, they weren’t used to those of the opposite gender staying in the archives, it was a place when men reside.

As the princess lay the book upon the table Bynwyn quickly shoved it to his side to get a better look, the title was rather straight forward. ‘’Wars and Rebellions in the Realm of Agorath Volume XVI’’ It was surely not a catchy one, he did not care for that however, what was Wyna so eager to figure out?

‘’You are stubborn steward, it seems you are useless when you can’t be in control of something.’’ As Bynwyn looked at the princess after her snarky words she quickly took the book again, looking through the pages.

‘’...what are we even looking for? I should know these things, everything realm related.’’

He couldn’t lose his dominance now could he?

Malisa kept flipping through the pages, until she paused for a second, putting a finger on her chin in a thinking gesture. ‘’Mmhhhh… The Westmarch Rebellion.’’ Her other finger landed on the page, going up and down the lists. ‘’...participants on the Ecclestian side; Ecclestian King led by Ares Krestarii, supported by his majesty’s loyal vassals.’’

‘’Well that was to be expected…’’ Bynwyn signed. ‘’How is that helpful?’’

Malisa ignored him, continuing to scroll her eyes down the page. ‘’...here it is… participants in opposition of the Ecclestian King; led by Duke Zarfir of Zarer (after the rebellion better known Kalar) other participants in the opposition were; Lord Nolan Holdfast of the Hold, The Council of Erandor and other minor lords and peasants of non-importance.’’ She clenched the hand she used to flip the pages into a fist. ‘’So it is true…’’

Bynwyn had enough of it. ‘’What in the dark one’s name is going on!’’

Malisa pulled out the letter she had held onto for so long and showed it to Bynwyn. ‘’I’ve only recently shown my sister this information, when she stopped being so cold after my return.’’ She opened it for Bynwyn to see.

‘’To her grace Queen Wyna of Thaanos,

As my dearest sister, the queen mother of Ecclestius, the former Oak of Galadriel, and the Therain of your neighbouring hold the Green Chasm, undoubtedly have made already much apparent, it is by the Mindrilla family’s belief that a closer relationship between our two houses are much desirable in this perilous day and age. I thus herein share a few whispers that was led to my long ears, and those whispers are very rarely false.

These whispers came from Westmarch nobles themselves, those who rebelled. They had been sending letters back and forth about how to deal with your father, Duke Balfour Aingael.

The plans were to bring Thaanos into the fight against Ecclestius and against king Ares of house Krestarii, and by any means necessary it would seem.

Though the details of the murderer obviously eluded me, as not even a drunk lord from a decadent human realm would be so slow of wit as to announce that in front even a woman of charm, I do hope these clues will lead you on the path to his identity.

With due respect, and admiration,

Princess Evhana Coamenel of house Mindrilla, Therain of Mirrorwater Hold.’’

‘’There is one little problem, princess…’’ he said before she took the book and rushed back to the castle. ‘’...damnit.’’ He rushed after her, she was way ahead of him.

Secrets and How to Keep Them
Part II of II (With some help from Sneaky and Greatslayer)

Bynwyn entered the courtroom as the last member, out of breath from following Malisa. The Queen was sitting at the head of the table with Malisa standing to her right and commander Maut and the spymaster Elric stood at her left side, they were all studying the book she had put upon the table. The Archbishop sat at the opposite end of the table, looking at Bynwyn whilst sighing.

Wyna raised her voice. ‘’So the bastards responsible are Westmarchers…’’ she took a deep breath, a tear started rolling down her cheek. ‘’...th-they will pay!’’ her sister tried to calm her down by holding her close.

‘’Let's not make any rash decisions, my grace.’’ Wyna’s eyes turned toward Bynwyn, he noticed the anger, the skin around her eyes having turned red.

She stood up, with her hands turning to fists on the table. ‘’You should have known these kind of things…’’ she breathed in deeply once more. ‘’...you should’ve…’’

‘’I did know.’’ He looked back at her with a cold gaze, everyone else also looked at Bynwyn in this moment, except for the Archbishop Rys sitting next to him. He put his hand on the Archbishop’s shoulder. ‘’Not only I, for that matter.’’ Bynwyn slowly started making his way toward Wyna. ‘’First off the Duke of Zarer has died and his land fell to a Republic…’’ his steps echoed through the room. ‘’secondly, as you have said yourself, Lord Nolan Holdfast is sickly, unable to lead anything, heck, he might be dead already.’’ Maut started to walk toward Bynwyn now. ‘’and lastly, the court of Erandor and those minor lords and peasants got dragged along with the majority, as you claimed Lord Nolan had told you, my grace.’’ His tone calmer at the end, giving a slight bow toward Wyna.

Maut stopped in his tracks as Wyna spoke up once more in a quieter tone than before. ‘’But why Bynwyn? I put so much of my trust in you over the years, how can you keep this from me?’’

The princess now spoke up as well. ‘’From us…’’

‘’To protect our realm and our people, to make us prosper, for your family, for you.’’ He kept switching between obedience and showing his power with the words he chose, somehow he kept Wyna busy that way.

Maut turned toward Wyna for a second. ‘’Are you still willing to believe everything he says, my Queen? I know what your father would’ve done with a guy like him.’’ He cracked his knuckles as he turned back toward Bynwyn, his face showing barely any emotion, though most of it was hidden by a giant bushy beard.

‘’He is too valuable to us... ‘’ she stared at Bynwyn once again then turned her eyes to Maut. ‘’...he will be given another chance, but things will be changing, no secrets will get past me any longer.’’

Bynwyn looked at Rys, he was nervously tapping his fingers on the table. He looked at Wyna again, then at Maut. ‘’I hereby promise you, my Queen, all information I have will directly be led onto you.’’ he put his left leg forward and bowed. He went over to his seat next to Rys on the table and seated himself. ‘’And with that, let’s start the actual session today, some of our merchants have gathered news from Kalar.’’

Wyna gestured the rest of the court members to sit as well, her sister seating herself to Wyna’s right as well as Maut and Elric sitting next to Bynwyn. ‘’What is it about, Bynwyn, more troubles with the Ecclestians?’’

‘’No, rumors have it the Kalar Assembly is looking toward Thaanos as an ally. They could be a valuable one at that, especially as we know their strengths.’’

Rys nodded. ‘’The lower classes have also taken to our beliefs, my Queen, they are a strong people.’’

Elric quietly and quickly spoke up. ‘’They have had tensions with the Ecclestians however, we should consider that.’’

Wyna took her turn in the matter ‘’They did depose of the one responsible for our father’s death…’’ she put her hands together and her thumbs started turning, one over the other, again and again. ‘’...with all this information I can’t help but wanting all of this behind us, all the hate I had gathered…’’

Malisa looked at her sister with a smile, perhaps the first smile between them in years. ‘’We can’t thrive on hate any longer.’’

Elric quickly joined in once more. ‘’It is true my Queen, there is chaos to our West, Highathar, Hroniden borderlands to us, overwhelmed by fighting, if any of that catches us we need some backup.’’

Maut agreed with Elric’s point. ‘’We do, as great as our castle walls might have once been, they won’t withstand constant fights and sieges, nor will our men, alone we would be horribly outnumbered.’’

‘’How had I been so horribly blind to all of this?’’ Wyna questioned herself.

Malisa comforted her once more. ‘’It was the grief, it must’ve been all these years.’’

Wyna smiled back at her sister. ‘’We will have to contact the Assembly to establish possible points for an alliance.’’ she pondered for a moment. ‘’Have we heard of Lord Holdfast yet? It has been months since we spoke about diplomacy between us.’’

A silence filled the room, until Elric spoke up in his softly tone. ‘’No words or letters have been exchanged since you personally visited them, my queen.’’

Bynwyn spoke up. ‘’Didn’t he want to revisit the olden days of Ecclestian glory? Not sure they will be of much help your grace. Now as much as some of us may dislike the idea, the Chasm elves wanted to cooperate last time they send their diplomat… if you could call it that. We might also get along with them eventually.’’

‘’Perhaps the Herasnians to our direct west would be an option my Queen?’’ Elric put forward.

Bynwyn and Maut both started nodding their heads in disagreement. ‘’Do we want to get involved in the Hroniden wars? We should not even, besides, we have little other use for them currently.’’ Bynwyn said with a sharper tone, perhaps because of the Herasnian merchant that had stolen his personal wealth.

‘’Perhaps we should try and reach as many of them as possible, tough times will be ahead. Sticking to ourselves will not help us for much longer.’’ Malisa looked through the room, hoping for some recognition in the matter.

Wyna answered in agreement. ‘’I shall start writing letters to potential allies after our meeting is done.’’ She sighed. ‘’I will also need Bynwyn and Malisa for the upcoming fest, we need to plan for Thanarios’ Ascend.’’

Bynwyn nodded. ‘’I shall start splitting coins, your grace.’’ He hated hosting events but they were a needed tradition.

‘’Rys, our influence with our beliefs throughout Westmarch is still increasing thanks to an amazing job on the church’s end and with the blessing of the Light one. Hopefully we can have some faithful fighters join our ranks in the future, I am sure your priests can look into that, right?’’

Rys was still tapping the table with his fingers and coughed. ‘’Yes, your grace, may the light one bless our skills.’’

‘’I will make sure they will keep training to the best of their abilities, we got armsmasters at the ready.’’ Maut had said.

Wyna nodded one last time. And looked outside through the window, it had turned to night. ‘’We will end the courtroom session for today.’’

The noise of chairs being moved back filled the room as everyone stood up except for Wyna, she looked at Bynwyn once more with an icy gaze just before he left the room.

Forgiven but not forgotten.
PaNojq9.png

From Left to Right; Elric, the Spymaster. Rys, the Archbishop. Bynwyn, the Steward. Maut, the Commander.​

Making New Acquaintances
Part I of II
(Joint IC with Pluto)

Linwë’s mansion was filled once again with those in the city who had managed to attract her attention well enough to be invited to her famous parties. It was well lit and fire roared in the massive marble fireplace, almost allowing one to forget that it was the middle of winter. Wine flowed as freely as always and food was laid out in the finest array, a wide variety of seafood, Linwë’s latest favorite, served with seemingly endless sauces and sides. Outside, the smallest amount of snow had begun to fall, dusting the road with crystals that seemed to make the road in front of the house shimmer and shine with reflected light from the windows.

Varian, with peace of mind for the first time in recent memory, had accepted, and his wife insisting that she join or there would be fury as not seen for some time, even if she spoke in jest. Varian did owe her a favour still, and as such he did not object, even if that meant that Valria could not attend due to the social requirements, now that it become more and more known that she was sleeping with the King. The winter could be felt, and as such the both of them arrived in fur coats, with Varian finally wearing clothes of his standing beneath it, wearing soft silks and other expensive fabrics lined with golden threads. The queen wore similar fabrics in a beautiful red holiday dress, a mistletoe strapped over her heart upon her dress. She had always been a trendsetter and she wore the latest fashion, her hair set slightly up but otherwise flowing down, along with a dress where the arms stopped just at the end of the elbow, and which leaves the shoulders, neck and upper chest uncovered by her dress. As they finally stepped foot inside, Varian sighed in relief being out of the cold, as a servant took their fur coats.

Linwë was quick to greet them when they arrived, stepping into the foyer as their coats were whisked away. She wore a more extravagant dress than was usual for these small parties, a white piece with golden trim that hugged her form tightly and had clearly been tailored with exquisite attention to detail. Wine glass in hand, she performed a half curtsey to both of them and smiled. “Your Majesties. I’m so happy you were both able to attend. Anne it has been too long.”

Varian smiled and gave a small nod. “Im glad you invited, now where is the food I am starving.” He said with joy as Anne did a small curtsey before her “Linwë, I am glad to finally see you again, we cannot let it go on that you must throw these fantastic parties without me, it is a sin to bereft me of such joy.” She said with a warm smile and friendly manner.

“You are always welcome in my homes of course, but I fear to have you at every party would only serve to steal all of my guests’ affection, and I am terribly vain.” She grinned, holding forward her glass. “Can I have anything gotten for you? There are wines imported from Galadriel, or perhaps some food?”

“We cannot have you lose all affection, just most.” She responded with a sly smile “Some wine would be welcome.” She spoke before motioning for them both to go forward and out of the foyer. “Fear though, for your vanity’s sake, for mine shall exceed it.”

Linwë nodded to a servant who hurried off towards the kitchen and motioned for the monarchs to follow her. She walked them into her foyer, where her guests were watching the door with interest. “Varian, you might recognize one of our guests, but my queen must be introduced.” The elven princess pointed first to a gentleman sitting in one of the overstuffed chairs with a glass of brandy. “My queen, this is Ondraus, and while I am sure you have much more important matters that occupy your time, perhaps you have read one of his philosophical works.”

Ondraus, chuckling and Linwë’s comment, did not stand but merely waved a hand to the king and queen. “Your majesties honor us,” he said disinterestedly. Much to Anne’s surprise, and Varian’s anger, as the old man often did.

“Yes, well, and this is Jean de Lannes,” She said, moving along to a handsome young man on one of the sofas with a strong jaw and golden hair in full military dress. “He is a member of the King’s Guard, the cavalry, no?” She asked, but left no time for him to answer. “Of course the reason that he received an invitation was the most wonderful declamatory essay of his that I found, ‘A Parallel between Love of Glory and Love of Life’.”

Jean offered a thankful smile to Linwë before bowing to his sovereigns at the waist. “I am honored.”

“And last but not least, is Madam Bellona, perhaps one of the finest oil painters I have had the pleasure of meeting.” Linwë smiled and waved her arm towards the plain young woman who sat nervously on the couch, taking large gulps of wine before bowing her head and squeaking out a suitably submissive welcome to the monarchs.

Varian looked at them all, “I am glad to make you acquaintance.” He said as Queen looked at him before she spoke up.

“We are most pleasantly surprised that we shall be in such good company, and please” She said as she looked towards the young soldier, “Do rise, I fear we would ruin our hosts good mood if we were to be overly formal.”

“As you wish my Queen,” de Lannes stated, standing and taking his seat on the sofa once more. As he did the servant returned to the room, bringing wine for Varian and Anne.

“Please, sit where you would like, there is plenty of room.” Taking a sip of her own wine, Linwë took a seat in one of the large chairs. “And perhaps her majesty, as our newest member, might suggest a topic of discussion?”

Both of them took the glass as Varian motioned for his wife to go ahead as he went over and sat down in a chair, while she sat down on an empty couch around the table, leaning against the side as she sipped some wine. “You leave me at a disadvantage, to start a topic.” She said as she thought about what to bring up, raising her glass slightly before she spoke. “How do you all find this winter, do you dread it such as I? so cold, so dark, the only comfort would be the excuse not to rise out of bed before noon.” She said with a laughter.

Ondraus laughed to himself before nodding. “Oh indeed, it is quite dreadful.”

“The cold does at least keep the ground solid for cavalry manoeuvres,” opined de Lannes with a smile, a slight accent to his speech. “And I must say that I’ve always been rather fond of snow. During my training the other boys and I would build what we thought at the time were great fortifications and carry out mock wars with one another.”

“I have to agree, so long as the snow doesn’t get so bad that it will kill my garden it can be quite nice,” Linwë added.

“Even with a fur coat it can be freezing, but the winter doesn't seem too harsh this year.” Varian replied, “Your garden at the very least should be fine and proper for the masquerade.”

“One hopes,” Linwë said simply.

“We cannot have my first time here at this great masquerade be ruined by some snow.” The Queen said as she sipped some more wine. “And tell me brave knight, did you prove worthy and defeat the dastardly enemies of your so called castle?”

“Often yes, my Queen.” de Lannes said, not bragging, but simply stating a fact. “It came to the point where I would lead the defense of the fort one day, then lead the attack the next, after showing my fellows how a proper defense was done.”

Letizia Bellona spoke up in her mousy voice. “Winter can create the most beautiful and the most tragic scenes.” She added awkwardly.

“It most certainly can, a warm cottage or a dead forest, very true,” Linwë said encouragingly.

And as Bellona spoke, a messenger had entered, whispering into Varian’s ear as it made the king rise from his seat. “You must all forgive me, but I leave you early tonight. My presence is needed back at court, a merchant under the Crown's protection has been attacked out the coast of Norvegr. Bloody nords.” He said as he walked out, making his wife turn.

“Varian!” She called out to make him stay but simply sighed with a mix of sadness and disappointment as he left, slightly sinking into herself instead of keeping her posture in a room filled with strangers. “Forgive him.”

“Do not fear Anne, I appreciate that he was able to come at all.” The elf stated kindly. Though not much comfort for the Queen.

“The work of a king never does stop, does it?” Ondraus asked rhetorically, laughing to himself. “The poor thing.”

She laughed slightly “The last thing my husband is is poor in any regard.” She looked at the older gentleman, “If you believe being a king is hard, try being related to one, then you shall true hardship.”

“Ah, my dear,” He smiled and sipped his brandy. “You must not have read any of my writing indeed. I have little patience for the king or his office to speak plainly with you. This latest with the Pious Brothers has not done much to improve my feelings either.”

She sipped more of her wine as she looked at him, “There we must disagree, the fate the brothers received were only proper. They broke the law and unlawfully hanged a man, the penitence done afterwards may save their soul, but does not absolve them for their crimes, and the law must be respected. Do you not agree?”

Ondraus shook his head. “Not unjust laws madam, and not when there are nobles, agents of your husband, who take the law into their own hands and with it carry out terrible crimes. Indeed, it is the duty of honest men to seek true justice, which is quite clearly what the Brothers did against the baron.”

“Ah.” She said as she raised her finger, “but who is to decide true justice, if everyone is left to their own devices then surely the weak shall suffer at what the strong perceive as an insult. Is it not so?” She asked looking around to the rest.

“The queen is right.” de Lannes nodded his agreement. “Without order everyone will only pursue his own interest and try to gain their own ends by dint of all sorts of crimes.”

“Nonsense. Firstly, what order does the king provide that cannot be found in Kalar where these abuses are not seen? But more to the point, true justice is a natural force. To violate the natural rights of man is to run counter to it.” He raised an eyebrow at the queen and soldier. “Or do you not believe that the ‘peasants’ even have rights?”

She smiled and nodded at Lannes for coming to her support before turning on Ondraus, “But justice is subjective, what some would fine, others would kill. True justice is not the same for you or me, and are we to judge either peasant or noble on the whims of whoever presides, or who happens to shove a sword through them like the brothers did to the noble? Are we perhaps instead to punish the punishers if they in what they considered just, judge unjustly? No doubt the peasant that starves feels it unjust that the baker has bread, and the baker feels it unjust when the starving peasants takes one without paying.”

“You simply speak of biases my lady, not justice.” Ondraus sat up straighter. The man was truly living in a fairytale, the Queen thought, had he lost his mind? “While there may not be Perfect Justice, there can be True Justice, arrived at with a fairness and careful consideration. The man who steals bread obviously should not be put to death just as clearly as the murder should not be given a meager fine, this is clear to all. Your noble friend, himself being a murder, would not be brought to justice by the king. The people therefore, were compelled by justice itself to act. To your peasant and baker the answer is quite simple. The baker having bread cannot be unjust because presumably he did no harm to acquire it, the peasant stealing bread is unjust however, having done harm to the baker’s property. And while it is understandable that the hungry peasant may want to steal the bread, that does not make it just.”

“The priests in Galadriel do often speak of the people needing to enforce justice when the nobility does not,” Linwë interjected. “It has even happened a few times in the past. To me the theory seems sound if it may not always be carried out so well.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“What was the king to do then?” de Lannes asked. “Meekly allow the rabble to treat his nobles as they please? Allow his person to be humiliated as he could not protect them?”

“It seems he was humiliated in that regard,” Ondraus quipped.

The Queen could not help but let out a small laugh from behind her glass before emptying it. “The king cannot protect everyone, but he can give justice, which he did. It may come as a surprise but my ‘noble friend’ had been summoned to Azeratii before his demise to answer for his actions.” She said before turning to Linwë “However all this talk of bread is remind my stomach that I have yet to eat dinner. I doubt much will have progressed here upon my return, so if I may so graciously beg your pardon and allow me to grab a bite while I concede my argument for the time being.”

“Certainly your majesty,” Linwë said as she stood up. “Would you like me to show you to the kitchen? It is just right down the hall.”

Anne smiled, “You need not unless you insist Linwë, you are the host, you need not leave your guests. I am sure i can find it.”

“As you wish, like I said, just down the hall and to the right. If you need anything simply ask one of the servants.”

The Queen rose, “I take it I can refill my glass in there, if so I not anything.” She said with a smile as she left for the kitchen to find food, eventually finding the kitching and starting to decide what she wished for, eventually returning to the party, returning with some oysters.

“But I don’t think…” Bellona’s voice trailed off as she saw the queen return to the room, causing the other guests to notice her as well.

“Find everything alright?” Linwë asked with a smile.

“Indeed, a most beautiful kitchen and kind servants.” She responded before sitting down, taking an oyster and gulping it down eagerly.

“Thank you!” Linwë responded happily. “We were discussing plays. Does your majesty have a favorite currently?”

“Hmm.” She said as she took another oyster, “Romance, I have always loved the romantic stories, dreaming of prince charming who was not busy in council.” She said jokingly. “Or perhaps comedy, there is only a few things better than laughter.” She let out another small laugh, “I get enough drama at court.”

“Indeed?” de Lannes asked curiously. “Those have always been my prefered type. Great men and their ambitions, stopping at nothing, whichever way things may turn out in the end.”

Linwë chuckled. “I must agree with the queen. Romances are so much better than reliving the inanities of court.”

She nodded her head towards him, “Ambition is to be cherished, no doubt, those men are most admirable, and there are plenty in court. There are a few great ones I concede, such as the Viper of Wallachia. But when you are to relax, Lannes, do you go on guard duty?” She asked with a smile.

“No my Queen, I read history, so consider your point well taken.” Jean smiled back at her. “Still, I never could find much of interest in the romances.”

“Does romance not interest you?” She asked curiously, “if so it is a shame, some of the most important events in history unfolds in the arms of a romance and love, right?” She asked as she looked to Linwë on the last part.

“Most certainly, even the traitor Ra’Gru was swayed from the Dark by love.” Linwë agreed.

de Lannes nodded. “‘Most certainly’ indeed. I do not mean to say that romance cannot have an effect on history. Only that the plays do not offer much of substance. But I ask you to consider men like Ecclestius himself. Men of such ambition, that they could allow nothing, not even love, to hold them back.” He looked to Linwë. “Your ancestor was like it. The Dragonslayer took lovers, but only for the time it took her to grow restless and return to her ambitions.” Linwë simply shrugged, sipping her wine again.

“I remember reading about her,” The Queen chipped “I remember how I admired her, her achievements and independence, then I married the King and saw many traits you just described.” She tilted her head slightly. “But she was definitely one I looked up on, even if less so today.” The Queen looked at him, intrigued, “You speak highly of them, are you a man of great ambition?”

“It would be a rather crass thing to admit to in some circles, but yes my Queen. I see myself as being destined for great things, a shooting star crossed the sky on the day of my brith to guide me through my life.” At that Ondraus, who was half asleep in his chair, chuckled, but said nothing.

The Queen ignored Ondraus, “Then we are most blessed to have you serve us, for greatness shines far and wide, improving and affect many lives of those around the star.”

“Ondraus laughs, but Eöl was also said to have a star that guided him. It seems you are in good company.”

“I hope that you are both correct. For now I simply do my best and hope that I am lead in sound direction.” de Lannes said, setting down his almost untouched wine on the nearby table.

“I find it a welcoming change, someone who believes it is his destiny to do greatness, rather than his right to be given greatness.” The Queen responded, while drinking some more of her wine, looking at him and his glass intrigued as to why he did not partake in the drinking. What a strange man not to take part.

“Perhaps I would feel that way if I were born the son of a duke or a king, but there is little room for such delusions at such a low rank as mine.” de Lannes said with a tilt of his head.

“Rodney was a man of very low degree, but he seized his chances and now he is among the mightiest in the realm.” She said as she took the final oyster, “Something never possible before the new regime, every door is open to those brave enough to take it.”

Jean covered up the look of distaste at the mention of Rodney almost as quickly as it had appeared on his face. “Your Majesty is exactly right. Were I born twenty years sooner I would have been lucky to lead ten men at my death. Whatever else might be said, that that is no longer the case is a testament to our realm.”

Anne raised her glass towards him before taking another sip “Had you been born twenty years earlier you might have outdone Rodney and made a great many happy as well.” She said as she began laughing. “But indeed, there are opportunities for all in our new kingdom. The lowest peasant can be the mightiest lord with just the right friends and allies to grant a few favours and kind words.”

“Rodney and I occupy different spheres I believe my Queen, but I take your meaning.”

She had a content smile and nodded in happiness that she did not have to spell it out further, certainly as she looked around the room with most already near asleep. The Queen the stood up. “If you do not mind, Linwë, I shall take a tour of the garden before bed, I need to familiarise myself for the coming masquerade.”

Linwë, eyelids growing heavy herself, but eager to be a good host, looked up. “Of course, would you like me to show you myself?”

Jean shook his head. “If my Queen approves I would show her, so that you may rest.”

Anne just laughed and hugged Linwë, “Go to bed, I would not wish to carry you back inside, no matter how nimple you may be.” Before turning to Jean “If you insist I shall not object, or else you may become dulled in here with tired eyes as well.” The Queen spoke as she called for a servant to fetch her fur coat.

Last edited:
The City of Goi'Orka in Depth
Goi'Orka a city built high in the mountains of Highathar is of a class all its own. With stunning natural beauty adorning the city on all sides it lays in a plain between two great mountains known as Mount Kargul and Mount Defence they are said to represent the city's past as well as its present. Goi'Orka originally a mountain stronghold is split into several different districts, the oldest of which is known as the Imperial District, built during the times when the founders of Goidellic still lived in the city many of the buildings there are several hundred years old and the area is notable for its large amount of human inhabitants (many of whom are wealthier burghers) as well as the old Count's Mansion which now serves as a palace and is the center of government for King Oruk and his Kingdom. The district is also home to the royal treasury and to the Heroes Hall which is a recently constructed building dedicated to the heroes of the city, which also features great statues to the Orkic Kings and trophies taken from each of their conquests. A statue of Borguk taken from the sacking of Kalare is prominently featured there as well as several statues and relics from Ra'Gru who perhaps went on to rise further than any other denizen of the city ever has.

Outside of the Imperial District lies the city's first wall, known as Agenor's Wall it is believed to be named after one of the city's founders. Of the three walls of the city, Einir's Wall is the least well kept, and today is mostly used as a toll booth to collect fees on goods and people entering the inner city. In times of unrest and during riots it is also used by the cities garrison as a physical obstacle to keep rioters from reaching the heart of the city. Beneath Agenor's Wall is the 12 Martyrs District and the Warrior's Districts which together form the brunt of the city itself. In these two districts more modern construction is common with hints of orkic as well as human influences seen in the buildings there. In the 12 Martyrs District lives most of the cities more average merchant class as well as many middling orcs and their families. Here several of the city's largest slave markets can be found, and it is said that one can find almost anything there, for a price. It is also home to much of the city's industrial potential with several dozen orc and dwarf smith's monopolizing the city's production of iron tools and weapons. Meanwhile the Warrior's district is almost entirely orc inhabited and serves as the cultural center and social center for the orcs in the city and in Agorath as a whole. Here sparring pits and grog halls dot the streets and the district is also home to the world famous Zorcan Hippodrome which is a warg race track stretching over a kilometer in size, where bets can be taken on races between teams of warg riders. Zorcan is a very well loved sport among the orcs and entire neighborhoods can be thrown into chaos and disorder when one or another team loses.

To guard this district stands Einir's wall, built just before the loss of the city to the orcs this wall is taller and more well kept then Agenor's Wall and sports several more recent additions such as two new towers. The wall is the city's third line of defense and years of work on it by human, orc and dwarven engineers and craftsmen has made it into a formidable obstacle for any would be attacker. Outside of this wall sits Rorgak's District. This area constructed entirely in the last 20 years is home to the poorest denizens of the city. It is here that the slave barracks resides and much of the area's inhabitants are slaves as well as landless exiles or poor humans or orcs who have fallen into hard times and had to leave the nicer areas of the city. The Rorgak's District is well known for its crime, but also for its whorehouses. If one is willing to brave the pickpockets and the thieves as well as the potential diseases, it is said that one will find the best lovers there out of any area in Highathar. Elf, dwarf, orc and human sex workers all ply their trade within the district and as a result the District is a favorite for the Kingdom's soldiers when they are not on duty.

Beyond Rorgak's District stands Ra'Gru's Wall. The newest and greatest of all the walls within the city. Ra'Gru's wall was built by King Wreav less than 20 years ago. Built of solid stone, the wall is a testament to the fusion of orcish and human culture which abides in the city today. With Imperial style gates but orcik watchtowers the wall forms a colossal stone barrier across the valley that the city sits astride which is one reason why, many believe that the city might be untakeable in a siege. At the center of the wall sits Borguk's Gate whose doors, made of solid steel are said to be unbreakable. Outside of Ra'Gru's Wall are the scattered hamlets and villages one would find outside of any city, however the landscape also contains one feature vital to Goi'Orka's economy. The Mines of Pathos and Claros can be found on the flanks of Mount Defense and Mount Kargul respectively. These mines, plied in the day by slaves supply the city with a constant stream of ore which powers the city's industry and ensures that the local economy is not entirely reliant on the slave trade.

Making New Acquaintances
Part II of II
(Joint IC with Pluto)

The servant brought it quickly and de Lannes led her out onto the garden’s gravel path, lined with pines to suit the season and dusted with snow. “Your Majesty has never been to one of the princesses parties before?” He asked curious as to how she had never seen the gardens.

She walked slowly with light steps upon the snow and gravel, taking in the garden as she looked around. “We have not always been friend, my husband's early infatuation with her has made it awkward in the past. And despite what it may seem, the Princess is still new to the city.”

“Ah.” Jean voiced his understanding, continuing to walk her along the lantern lit path.

“What of yourself, do you enjoy them?” She asked him, curious as what to expect from the party.

“I have never been to one of the masquerades of course, but I have enjoyed these more intimate gatherings for what they are. The discussion alone is worth attending, even leaving aside the refreshments.” Said Jean.

“But you must.” The Queen insisted, “How else am I to find my path through this marvel?” She said with a laughter in her voice as she looked around at the lanterns, able to feel the wine in her body.

“I’m certain someone would stop to help their queen.” He shrugged his shoulders and smiled. “But perhaps I could impress upon Linwë my need for an invitation.”

She smiled back as she looked at him, “No doubt that it would make us all merry and pleased.” She said as she walked forward, holding the fur cloak closer to herself. The cold could be felt by now, penetrating her furs as she tried to keep warm. “You are one of the few to wear military garb, do you just fancy it?” She asked.

“To some degree, I suppose. I am a soldier, what else would I wear? Finery to pretend that I am a duke?” He shrugged once again.

“A bit of finery sits well upon everyone.” She responded, “But does it not get cold to wear nothing more?”

“I’m rather used to the cold my queen, and this is not it.” He laughed.

She laughed along with him, “You did say that winter was your element, even if the rest of us had not found it as such.”

“If you are cold we could return to the house,” he offered.

“Do you think they have all gone to bed?” She questioned, “Or if they still sit half asleep as dreadful company? But I do not know, is there anything I must know of in the garden?”

“It has trees? They speak of highly of the variety, but I can’t say I know much about it.” He looked back towards the distant house, still well lit against the dark. “I imagine they’ve left or gone to sleep.”

She shrugged for a moment, “Then let us return, the night only gets colder and I see no refuge out here.” She looked at him intrigued once more, “I believe you still have a wine glass to finish.”

Jean turned around and began leading her back up the path. “I enjoyed the wine well enough already I think. I don’t dare end up like Ondraus,” he added with a snicker.

“There is still some wine and some age to go before you degenerate.” She responded, “I had started to wonder if your restraint from drink was due to your origin, you have not entirely lost the accent.” She looked somewhat excited as she began guessing, “Wallachian?”

Jean looked at her with a smile. “You’ve good ears my queen. Are my people known for their restraint from alcohol here in Azeratii?”

She chuckled and waved her hand dismissively, “Please, just use Anne, no need to be so formal.” She looked at him for a moment, “I was more thinking the martial nature.”

He nodded. “As you wish Anne. And you are right of course, every Wallachian boy hopes to fight in great battles when he grows up. Rest assured though, my place in the Guard means more to me than an opportunity for battle.”

“I’m happy to have such a man as yourself defend me then. But tell me, have you ever taken part in any great conquest?” She asked, curious to find out what battles he had fought.

“What great conquests are there for a man of nineteen,” he asked, somewhat solemnly. “We are not in the age of the Empire with shining legions, or even twenty years ago when the Dark One sought his vengeance. At best I would have fought republicans in Kalar, but that could hardly have been called grand.”

“I’m sure there shall be plenty of conquests, fear not brave sir knight, your star shall guide you.” She said, trying to encourage him. “For me, I prefer the peace and plenty we have now over twenty years ago with all its glory.” She said as she stepped inside the door to the mansion.

de Lannes followed, closing the door against the cold behind them. “Indeed, the civilian cost was far too high then. But a battle of proper armies can be a good thing, which even can create greater peace than not fighting.”

“You do strike an impressive image no doubt, sitting on top of a warcharger while leading an army.” She smiled, relieved as she took off her fur coat as she stood back in her red dress.

“Something for Madam Bellona to paint perhaps,” He said with a laugh, taking her coat to hand off to a servant. “But Anne, you have spent all night questioning me, will you allow me a question of my own?”

She nodded with a smile, “You may ask anything, and you may have done so all night. You have no need to hold back for me. Though perhaps a chair would do us both well.”

Agreeing, Jean lead them back into the sitting room, which now was empty and cleaned, as if there had been no party at all. “I simply wished to know what you truly thought of tonight? If nothing else did Ondraus’s irreverence surprise you. That is, how did it compare to one of the sitting rooms at court?” Despite his normally somewhat austere manner, Jean seemed quite curious as to her answer.

She went over and sat down at the couch, taking her shoes off and putting her legs up. “He was more bold than I had imagined he would be, I cannot deny that.” She said with a smile, “I will admit that I was worried when my husband left, but you have more than made up for that, I have truly enjoyed tonight.” She said with a warm laughter. “It has been a very welcome change, for a night at least to no longer be the Queen.”

He sat as well, leaning forward so that his hands met and his forearms rested on his thighs. “I can imagine that it is a lot of stress, to constantly have to worry about appearances.” he said sympathetically.

She nodded as her smile stayed, “To catch your own words, pretend pleasantries and good manners to those who least deserve. It is stressful as every error is often seen as an insult. It does not take long to long for relief.”

“I’m certain that the princess would always enjoy your presence here,” he said.

“Then perhaps I shall have to come more often, perhaps even convince her to hold a dance at some time.” She responded eagerly.

“If you succeed at that one, then I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend.” Jean replied, smirking. “Dancing was never much of a priority in Wallachia.”

“Do you wish to learn it?” She asked as she looked at him, leaning slightly forward, “You shall never survive court or advancement without it.”

“At some point I will have to, as you say. I would not say that I wish to though.” He answered.

“If you wish I could teach you now, it would be simple, but something is better than nothing.” She responded, her attention fully on him, curious for his response, while picking up another glass of wine and taking a sip.

“Your majesty I would not ask you to become a dance instructor, nor embarrass myself before your presence.” He looked down toward his feat, his cheeks coloring slightly at the suggestion.

“Anne,” She said, correcting him “do not ruin my most precious night with Majesty.” She said first, “Besides, you cannot embarrass yourself for now I have no expectations, as such it can only impress.” She smiled once more, “If you are so bad, you will simply have to show me your talents afterwards to make up for it.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Shall I build a fort and throw snowballs? Or perhaps charge my horse through a line of men? In any case, Anne, I cannot ask this of you, it wouldn’t be proper.”

“Proper?” She said in a joyful tone, “What happened to the bold soldier, does he shy away when push comes to shove? We are both guests here, I am no more and no less than you while we sit where we do. As I told, you may ask anything”

Jean breathed out a laugh. “So you did. If you insist Anne, I would welcome the chance,” he said, pushing himself to his feet and running a hand through his golden hair before offering it to Anne to help her up.

She took his hand as she stood up and moved away from the furniture, “Do you know how to hold and stand?” She asked, curious to see just how much he knew.

He moved his left hand to her waist, keeping his right holding hers. “Like this?” He asked fidgeting to get his stance just so.

“Almost.” She said as she moved her hand from his and took a hold of him, making him stand still and stand straight “Much better.” She said before putting her hand back in his and another on his shoulder. “You are meant to lead, so take two left steps, then one right.”

Jean did as instructed, succeeding in not making a complete fool of himself thanks to his experience in training for combat furthering his motor control. “What is the point of this supposed to be?” He asked, seeming a little flustered.

She looked up into his eyes “You are doing well.” She said to reassure him, “And for fun of course. Now do this five times and then spin half a circle before repeating with the right foot now taking the two steps.”

de Lannes frowned as he focused on the movements, taking care not to bump into any furniture. Eventually he made it through the pattern without screwing up too badly, and released Anne’s hand. “You are a fine teacher Anne, but I fear that this is not for me.”

“Once more.” She said, taking his hand again, “If you perfect it then you may ask any reward, or any change of subject that you would wish to be rid of this plagueful worry of yours, or tutor me in.”

Jean sighed and began again, taking the movements more confidently than before. “Better?” He asked, somewhat pleased with himself.

“Much better.” She said with a smile, “So what do you ask for your reward, ask anything in my power to grant and it shall be yours? And what shall you tutor me in, if you so wish?” She asked curiously.

“I think that spending time with you is reward enough. I certainly wouldn’t seek advancement through dance.” He laughed. “What would you wish to learn from a Wallachian soldier Anne? I can speak on history of conquerors, or perhaps you would like to know how to handle a blade?” He thought for a moment, “though it occurs to me that Linwë probably doesn’t have much of an armory.”

Her smile turned into a smirk, “Learning how to handle the blade would no doubt be a joy, no doubt you have much to teach. Though if not swords, I believe I saw some roast spikes in the kitchen.”

Jean laughed stepping over to the fire place and receiving a poker instead. “I think this might imitate the weight better.” He spun it effortlessly in his hand so that the point was facing him and the handle her. “Try a few swings.”

She did as he asked, swinging the blade in front of her with no coordination and little grace, her dress not helping at all, clearly not a person to have held a blade before. The wine certainly were of little aid either.. “As such?” She asked with an eager smile.

Jean smiled back, but shook his head. “First you must relax your grip if you hold it so tightly you'll never have much luck. You also have to make sure your feet are set further apart.”

She moved her feet further apart as she loosened her grip and tried to attack again for a few times, her breath already starting to slowly increase, “Better?” She asked, with an excited look in her eyes, trying something she had never done before.

“You will be slaying monsters in no time Anne.” He smiled. “Think of it as its own sort of dance...just a slightly more deadly one.”

“All the more excitement” She said as she swung it a few times more before pointing it at him, smirking.

“Does my queen threaten me?” He asked, looked down with a laugh.

She moved the poker upwards, pushing it against him, “Most certainly.” Her smirk persisted.

Quite amused, Jean easily batted aside the poker, leaping towards the fireplace and grabbing his own. “Will you try me?” He asked with a smirk.

She tilted her head slightly as she looked at him, “Too tempting to refuse.” She said as she swung her poker forwards against him.

He parried the blow, folding his left arm behind his back and stepping into her guard. “Don’t be afraid to follow through,” he said, stepping back.

She swung once more, aiming for his chest as she stepped forward, step after step trying to get through his defense, just about as graceful as an elephant in a porcelain room.

Though he easily kept her attack at bay, but willingly stepped back until he suddenly met her poker with his and with a flip of his hand knocked it to the ground. “A good attempt, I'm sure you will get it some day.”

“You are an equally good teacher, Jean, no doubt I would become a master in no time.” She said as she bent down and picked up the poker, holding it up for him to take, or to engage her once more.

He smiled and took the poker, placing them back by the fireplace no worse for wear. “I have had a wonderful night Anne, but if I'm to wake up in time for drills I think I must go now.”

“A shame, for I would rather have you miss it, but if you must you must.” She said offering him a smile.

“As would I, but my captain would not approve I'm afraid.” He sighed and bowed to her. “My queen. I look forward to seeing you again.”

“Likewise.” She responded, “And remember, never stop being bold, it's a good quality.” And as he left, she returned to the palace, returning to find her son fast asleep as she took him up into her arms, correcting the hair on his head and wiping off the saliva on his chin. She coudnt help but have a tear in her eye as she looked at him, wondering if she would ever be banished or shunned away by her son, as her husband had done unto his.

Last edited:
A Troubled Mind
(Joint IC with Greatslayer)

They had traveled a long way and brought fine gifts. Weapon, armor and what Varian himself looked forward to the most, Dwarven beer. They had traveled far, all the way from Ghullkazid and through Galadriel, where they no doubt had made similar appearances to the Elven courts. The majority of the court had spoken against the Dwarves, for the crimes of Ghullkazid could not be denied, even if a few merchants had been willing to forgive them in return for the coin they would earn, leaving the King much to consider.

And consider he did as Varian looked at the Dwarves and his court, and the many calling out against cooperation with the Dwarves before he spoke from his throne. “They did indeed march on the Golden City, but we are not the Golden Empire, we are not their successor state and the Golden City was never a domain of our Kingdom. We are the Kingdom of Ecclestius, as such we cannot forever more salt the wounds that was inflicted upon us in the Great war.

There can be no doubt that great crimes were committed in the name of Darkness twenty years ago, but I also hear reports that your King, Master Dwarf, has made many attempts to reproach for his mistakes, to make good the horror that has been committed. We are all sons of the Light One and follow his teachings and I know that there are many in your Master’s kingdom who no doubt wishes for the same redemption, Master Dwarf. We are Lords of the Light and as King of Ecclestius and successor of Ecclesiasties, I shall not abandon those faithful who find themselves misguided outside his teachings.

Master Dwarf, I do not know if your King follows the Light or his ancestors, but you now stand before me asking for trade and for our acceptance of what your King has become. I shall grant you both if my conditions be met, allowing you to trade and your trader’s safe passage if you agree.

And my conditions be that your King allows for me to send High Mage Villion as my representative. Together with him he shall have five knights and a dozen servants. He shall travel to Ghullkazid where he shall be provided for by your King and offered his protection. High Mage Villion will be there as my emissary on my behalf and I expect he shall be treated properly as due to his station thereafter. His mission is simple and clear, he is to provide spiritual refuge for the people within your King’s domain, see to their needs and provide as best he may for them. Furthermore then for your King to give him a place within your mountain home to build a church in the name of the Light, to ensure the Creator’s presence and his blessing upon your King’s reign, land and subjects.

If this be granted then our ports be open to any true believer of the Light.” Varian almost sat down before he remembered and spoke once more “Furthermore then I ask your King to allow for our person to send a scribe to his land, to record and describe it for our court. For far too long has shadows reigned over your King’s home and forest. It is my wish that this scribe may cast light upon the lives and domain of your King, tales which we are eager to hear of, of what has become of those who once served the Dark One.”

It was not the Dwarves that Varian had expected or sent for, but they it had proved interesting none the less, the entire day had proved something that Varian had not expected. His mother had come to Azeratii and once again made the split in court apparent, she even looked contented as he spoke, happy. Perhaps this was the first time in over a year where she seemed to smile without restraint as he spoke, leaving his eyes lingering on her as he had sat down again. There were still a large number against the Queen Dowager, but many had changed following the Queen’s plea and the King’s forgiveness. Though the same in court as upon her return now looked at her with pity, unhappy as to the unfolding of events that occurred within Galadriel.

The most surprising to Varian had been Eklow, there was a look of pity and remorse in his stare towards the Queen Dowager. She had stood near the throne next to the great Dukes, or well those left of the great dukes. Saxon was still indisposed, Wolfen looked out of place, being only eleven or there about, but now living in the King’s palace and royal court where he was educated. Many of the other dukedoms were still left unbestowed, leaving Varian with large and impressive titles to grant both unto his children, kin and faithful servants.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the session of court had been completed, the Dwarves to give their answer the following day, calm had settled over court for the few hours between midday and evening when court festivities would resume once again, with wine flowing and food aplenty.

Now was the time when court retreated, prepared, relaxed even if ministers still carrying out their duties with haste, and like the rest of the court, the royal family was spending their time in privacy.

Ana, Varian’s eldest daughter, sat with her dolls, painting while little Eylinn, also nicknamed the younger who was the second and youngest of Varian’s daughters, was not present, instead playing with the daughter of Duke Rivers. Queen Anne herself sat reading letters on the couch as Varian walked around with his son and heir, holding him up as Ares’ held on to Varian’s hand to learn how to walk, as he eagerly and happily spurted ahead. Slowly beginning to bring much annoyance for Varian’s back as he constantly had to keep bending forward. Without much ceremony, his mother entered through the door on just that occasion, smiling contentedly upon the scene of her son and grandson.

“My two favourite boys. Albeit one a bit taller than I had preferred.” She said with a sly chuckle, curtsying towards Anne. “Your grace…”

“Eylinn.” Anne said with a smile as she looked upon her mother-in-law, “I’m happy you could join us, it's been too long.” she uttered as she put her letters down and looked towards her daughter who smiled happily upon her grandmother before Anne called out her name “Ana.” making the young girl catch herself and curtsy.

Ares however made a high pitch noise as he began to pick up the pace on his little legs, Varian doing his best to keep up as they ran around the room until they stood before Eylinn as Ares looked up at his grandmother and made another happy laughter, while Varian looked up with a smile “Mother.” Eylinn, bewildered at the sight of her grandchildren, crouched down at the floor to embrace them, showering them with kisses to the left and right.

“And the sight of these will never tire my eyes.” Her grin went from ear to ear. “I must admit, it’s been a good few days to be your mother, Varian. The way you showed respect for those emissaries elated my heart, especially considering you had neither need or reason to.” She ruffled the children’s hair. “The life in this palace never grows old. I’ve almost forgotten silence, or foregone its need perhaps, since I moved in here with your father. The forest seemed so eery and dull.” She gave Varian a whimsical look. “Of course, insurmountable beauty are held in the green canopies, that couldn’t be replicated in this castle, or any castle for that matter. But man cannot compare with the Creator’s pencil, now could he?”

Ares kept making happy high pitched noises as he looked at his grandmother, his older sister happily embraced Eylinn and returned the kiss on her cheek as Varian finally stood straight once more breathing a relieved sigh, instantly being able to feel his back thank him while Anne spoke “But we shall try all the same, what's the good in a quitter.” She said before laughing, “But I do thank the Creator that I need not tend to gardens, I have plenty of headaches just organizing these feasts that your son so likes to throw.”

Varian just shook his head with a smile as he went over and sat down in a chair, leaving his mother with the children, after all is that not what a grandmother for. “You did seem very joyful today, mother.” He responded to her earlier comment as he took cup of that wonderful ale the Dwarves had brought, “I don't know, the Empire failed when they walled them off, seemed silly to try the same twice.” Eylinn smiled towards her grandchildren again, poking at their noses and tickling them as she pulled them into her arms.

“Yet a strange sense of unity persisted. For some.” She waved her head. “A rather failed sense of unity in all due respects.” She looked up at Anne with some excitement. “And I expect nothing but a feast worthy of an emperor for the next gala! After it, I shall have to depart for Galadriel once more, with a short detour.”

Both of the children laughed before Ana ran over to the table, picking up a drawing she had made and showed it to Eylinn “look, it's the Dwarves!” Ares however pulled at her dress as he wanted to be kept entertained and tickled.

“A detour?” Varian asked curiously as Anne picked up another letter as she began opening it.

“Fear not, we cannot disappoint the court, or your expectations. You wish for anything to drink?” Anne asked Eylinn as she picked up her own glass of watered wine. She nodded, and took a glass and sampled it with a pleased groan.

“I used to travel by ferry up and down the Rhill as a child towards the Golden City. Me, my father, your aunt Evhana and my warden Alvon shared some heartfelt moments on its less than gentle streams, and I forced my children to relive them.” Eylinn stretched out her arm, and held in her hand the very ends of her glistening white strands of hair. “And I aim to spoil myself in sweet remembrance of a time both simpler and rocking less with the scalps of courtiers but with the gentle waves of water smashing against the hull.” She took another greedy gulp of the wine before, unabashed, pouring herself another cup. “To think of it, how long has it been since you last visited the Green Chasm, Varian? Not in this decade I reckon?”

“Ugh.” Varian uttered as he thought, noticing his mother’s thirst “Before the Westmarch rebellion I think, twelve, thirteen years I reckon, quite a long time come to think of it.” He said as he took another slurp of ale, “Back when the trees were still young and blooming and your people had a sense of true unity. How is the Chasm coming along? Is Anwën blooming in marriage like the nature around her?”

Anne looked up at Eylinn, “Did you enjoy the travels so much? I always found it dreadful to travel on the Rill, but I have never been much for ships.” Eylinn shrugged at Anne’s comment.

“Of course not. They’re clunky, uncomfortable and crowded. And for a Deep Elf bereft of washing at least twice a day, life may as well seem forfeit. I can assure you, the river water of the Rhill is not what I’d consider the most clean out there.” Smelling the wine, she caressed the head of passing Ana, while ushering her along to leave the adults to talk in peace. “She is on her way to Hroniden as we speak, passing by Thaanos to complete some diplomatic ventures on the past. I believe the prince will not let her leave alone, if that is what you inquire, my son.” She tilted her head. “You should come to visit, and get your own appreciation for its growth. Besides, your children could use a taste of an Elven forest to strengthen the mettle of their pure souls.”

“Ah yes, more for Ares to explore, I already hear my back scream in agony.” Varian said with a smile on his lips, “But it's good, I hope she is soon with child, Galadriel could use another prince. Just be sure to write to me when it happens and I will send her my physicians.” deciding to finish his ale before continuing. “I will return to the Chasm one day, no doubt your court would be thrilled to see me soon.” He said, well knowing their feelings.

Anne just laughed, “Yes, Varian, I'm sure they can't wait.” While Eylinn swirled the contents of her glass, decisively avoiding their gazes.

“I did say they wouldn’t accept any concessions in regards to what happened after the wedding.” Eylinn emptied the glass, while hesitantly deciding to pour herself another. Making Varian look at her. She seemed a tad overwhelmed over the wine, despite its weak consistency. She took a seat, adjusting her dress before looking over at them both. “You know me better than to adorn myself in a demeanour of pride, and I do know you tried for a middle ground, which is why this is an… awkward thing to speak of for me. Appearance has never been my strong suit.” She sighed. “But fact remains, their Lady was outcast by a Human, scorned by Humans, and arrested by Humans. They won’t settle with seeing her called a delinquent with…” She tapped her chin, with a slight chuckle to add. “‘Her offences many and great’?” She sighed, sadly, which saddened Varian. “The Chasm has grown strong from taking in the many refugees after the wars, but therein also lie a brittle peace to be upheld among the varied folk living next to the Chasm’s river. Our Human subjects do not deserve to be looked upon with suspicion from this to follow.”

Varian sighed, slightly annoyed “Well mother, it is what I can offer for now, I am sorry if that is not enough. Now if only they could also see that this had nothing to do with race. I sometimes wonder if the Elves are the quicker ones to point out such things.” Varian responded disappointed.

“If you wished then I could come.” Anne spoke up, “Or shall they take offense to another delinquent with great many offenses?” She asked in high spirit to try and brighten the mood. “I could bring the children,” looking over to Varian, “If you allow.” Before looking at Eylinn “And if you will have me.” Eylinn smiled.

“Of course, you are always welcome. Who am I to refuse my own daughter-in-law into my home?” Eylinn leaned back into the couch, looking at Varian with a puzzled gaze. “Are you denying tension towards Elf kind in Ecclestius after your banishment? Is it not true that my queen’s sister was considered under grave danger? I’ve at least not seen Humans come under the knife or boot of Elves. That does not mean we live in a time without prejudice and suspicion. Can you not see with history in mind why a Man applying his power over a foreign Elf from her own home not at least look a little… Well, with some lack of tact?” She shook her head. “I am merely informing. I am not here to start another argument.”

“Should the Chasm not be your home in this sense?” Varian asked, “And I would hardly call it grave danger, I would like to think it took more than a stone against a window for it to be considered grave.” Taking some more ale “And mother, apart from Linwë most tension has been some curse words, while I do not deny there is lingering tensions, then you being an Elf had nothing to do with my decisions, you know that.”

“Then perhaps a visit may be in order.” Anne added she said while sipping some more wine before looking over at Eylinn “Would you like some cake?” Eylinn wrinkled her nose and furrowed her brow.

“It doesn’t matter what I know, or what you know. It’s what it appears to be.” She continued, ignoring Anne’s attempts to turn the conversation over towards delicious pastries. “I’ve been called most things by now, and quite hardened I’ve become. I’m no fool to not sense the gazes upon me in court, and that does not only have to be for their view of this uppety stranger of another realm, sinking her claws into the precious king’s throne.” She frowned. “I fought wars for them to see past a few pointy ears and a raised bossom. I don’t care whatever I’m called anymore, or what people think of me, or what behaviour I am supposed to clad myself with.” She took another hearty sip of drink. “But I have a people to represent, and they see what they see. They are not blessed with my eyes, my ears, or my voice. They’re perfectly able to use their own, for all the ups and downs of such an arrangement, and with that are given their own interpretation. Strain have deescalated for now, but that is just about it. Damn near it was for both the Wheat Glade and the Upper Chasm to embargo Ecclestius, but for my march into Saxon to talk to mine own son.” She placed down her glass, gleaming with a last drop of wine upon its rim that had failed to pass through her lips.

“I see.” Varian said, looking at the cup, not quite remembering his mother being that fond of wine, moreso remembering how his father hated the drink so fiercely, he would never have allowed such a consumption from anyone in the family. “So what do you propose?” Varian asked her as Eylinn shrugged.

“Do I look like the most diplomatically inclined? I suppose an apology would be impossible?”

“Officially, yes. At least at current time.” he responded. Eylinn stood from the couch, forcing herself to take another glass. She hovered over the wine pitcher, as her hand trembled. In a decisive move, she instead moved for the jug of cooled water standing by the side of the spirits. This was the first time he had ever seen her weak, her hand shaking, taking drink after drink, uncertain. Not the mother that had read to him at night, taught him how to use a sword. For the first time he felt true pity for her, and it made his stomach start to turn.

“I wouldn’t care for it anyhow. I’d be damned the day my own son would have to apologize to me. Only a mother can sin, never her children.” She smiled towards Varian with a heartfelt gleam in her eyes. Which he returned before looking at Anne, who got the hint, before going over to pick up Ares and leaving as Varian stood up and walked over to his mother.

“Are you alright, mother?” he asked concerned. Eylinn swallowed hard, as she looked over at her shaking hands.

“Did you ever… Kill a man, Varian?” She turned her hand and clenched her fist. “In all those horrible struggles, did you ever claim the life of another?”

“Yes, I did go to war, laid siege to the Three Rivers, I took lives, ordered more since.” He said, with neither sorrow or happiness. She clinched, yet took to an eerie laughter as she lowered her hands towards her waist, placing them in a most ladylike manner.

“I damn well miss it. Every thrust into an already helpless body on the ground. Rending their flesh as the Creator’s grace leak from the corpses. I miss the gourging on their blood, as I sank my teeth into their skin, licking it through the gaping wounds upon their neck. I miss the pain that was sent upon my bones, and the bruises upon my belly after taking a hammer to the stomach. I miss my eyebrows clawed by their blades and the deep cuts of their axes. And most of all, I miss setting them ablaze from the very tips of my fingers, roasting them upon the field as they screamed in agony. Screamed for their families. Parents, wives, siblings and friends. I miss standing between them and mercy’s grace, to block their every path to safety.” A tear fell from her eye, despite her stubborn smile.

Varian just looked at her, his mouth slightly open in shock unsure how to respond. Had the palace come crashing down around his ears he would barely have noticed it. “Do you wish to stay here? Anwën will leave anyway and I know Ana and Ares will miss you if you go, and I would like it as well, mother.” As Eylinn nodded, Varian’s mind could only try and process what his mother had just said, the images going through his head.

But now as she spoke, Varian’s hope that his mother’s nod had been in agreement to stay turned to ash. “I must. I’ve hated myself my whole life, Varian. And I keep getting reasons to hate myself even more. I do not want to be that person anymore, and thus I cannot stay in Azeratii for much longer. This place… At the best of times it evokes the most pleasant dreams and thoughts… Yet when at its worst...” She giggled. “I had both my first, and last, love in this castle you know. Before your father. A handsome, rugged Nord.” She looked at the table, staring at the goblets of wine, and the empty letters upon Anne’s table. “A fleeting love. Not the one that stay with you, like the one to your father. We had our problems. Had some fights. I’m sure you remember them… Far, far too well than I would have liked.” She took a deep breath. “But I never stopped loving him for a second. Even sometimes when I wished I could, I wanted to change for him, and for you as well.” She wiped her nose and turned her face away. “For all of you. But that seems not able to happen.” She raised a hand. “So no, I don’t want your apology Varian. Neither would I ask it of you. By the Creator, I can’t even forgive myself for the things I’ve done for the Light, or for anyone else’s sake. Or my own sake. All I know is how little my life is worth without my children in it, and it seems I can’t keep any of them safe whatever I try or do.”

Varian placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, “You fought for your life, my life, Anwën’s life, Narien’s life.” He said taking a moment, trying to just bring some comfort to his mother, not knowing what else to do. “You did what you had to do to win the war and save us, I do not blame or condemn you for what you have done, father fought as well, killed and even served the Dark One, you brought him back to me.” he said, trying to at least keep his posture, even as it was getting harder. “We are all alive and well, you have kept us safe when we needed it the most.” Varian offered her a smile, the most sincere he had had in a long time “How was he, this handsome, rugged Nord, if such a thing exists.” He said trying to lighten her mood. She chuckled in response.

“Too fucking flaccid.” She spouted. “But sweet, and caring.” She sighed. “He simply proposed, and I didn’t know how to say no. I had expected my father to arrange my marriage, not brought up with the idea of choosing for myself. I was barely sixteen, you know.”

Varian just laughed at the first response, “So what happened? You said yes, no?”

“I died.” She said, solemnly.

Varian just frowned and looked at his mother. “Do you miss him?” She looked at Varian, her glassy eyes with a tint of red from the tears that had not fallen.

“How could I? With him, I would not had had you. Not Anwën, not Narien, not Lindarel. I would had had noone, noone but grumpy, jealous vassals up my heels to keep me company.” She chuckled. “With the odd cautionary tale from my sister, and her devout and total adoration. But I doubt I’d been strong with Freyr. Not that I feel particularly strong now, but he wasn’t a challenge.”

Varian just had light chuckle and a smile, his mother and a Nord, perhaps that was where his father’s hatred of them stemmed. “You are still strong, you can still forgive, something I have yet to learn.” He said as he placed his arm around her, rubbing her shoulder. She leaned her head towards his arm.

“I’m just grateful. That the Creator would bless me, despite the horrible things I’ve done. That he’d let me live for a few years more to see you all raise from the ground and up. Sprouting like little buds of pine-trees in northern soil, refusing to stop growing.” She sighed. “Couldn’t you had stayed Ares size? You were so cute at that age.”

“Probably best that I didn't, it wouldn't make for a very imposing king now would it.” he said as he kept his smile. “For all the things mother, nothing you have done is more than you needed, you fought against the Darkness and you saved so many lives, do not punish yourself for that.” A short sob emitted from her mouth, and she clenched her throat to silence it.

“I care not for the pain.” She said in a hoarse voice. “I’d do it again, and again, and again to be where we are today.”

“But it is clearly eating at you when it should not.” He responded concerned.

“That’s my price. Taking lives, should not be cheap. Neither should the rewards.” She took the glass with a shaking hand, and gobbled up some more water. “Sit with me.” She said, as she went over to the couch. He did as she asked and went over next to her. Rather unabashed she pulled an envelope from inside her dress, straight out of her bossom. “I miss wearing bandoliers.” She handed the letter over to Varian. “That is a letter from your sister.” He nodded as he took it, opening it before he read it. The letter was sealed, adorned with letters of gold. Beside the first paragraph, the text was written in what must have been blood.

I cannot begin to thank you for the kind gifts bestowed upon me by oh brother mine. As you undoubtedly pull this letter from the headless corpse of my mother, I shall have you know my vengeance will not be swift. It would be horrendous, gruesome, and degrading. Before the end, you will gaze upon me as the last haunting ghast to have sent you upon the pain of afterlife. An afterlife without rest no doubt.

If by any miracle you’ve stayed your hand, I wish to offer you my condolences. Those being that you will never be graced with the stupendous pleasure of my presence ever again in your life. For what worth is this beauty in your eyes? This figure of perfection, a diamond, a ruby, a gem of insurmountable value, you valued only ten thousand coins? This gift turned over so graciously before tossed to the side for your whims.

Mother may grovel by your feet, but I shall not. I intend not. I did my duty, so my responsibilities to you are done. I shan’t remain your tool for ambition any longer.

Then again, I am now on the dragon’s last flight towards the scorching lands of the desert plains. I suppose, should he find it in him to seek me out again, I might allow him an audience to my noble court. For I am Anwën Krestarii of house Mindrilla, the bride of the future king of Elves, and a princess of Ecclestius. Her father’s daughter, merciful and benign. With beauty radiating from her very stem, from her every lock and feature.

I’ll await your shadow by the horizon. And it will not be stained by the blood of my sister, or my mother. I believe you are more than that…

…brother.

He looked at it and skimmed it over before smiling, putting it away back in the envelope. “Thank you mother.” Their mother at least did not need to know the content. “Thank her from me and tell her that I look forward to seeing her again, and her husband.”

“I will.” Eylinn said, as she moved towards the door. “I see you at the feast. You know where to find me, should you wish to speak more.” She smiled.

As she left Varian stood up, walking over to the fireplace as he pulled out the letter once more. He saw the ink and read the letters, but did not read the words and could not comprehend the sentences. His mind still remained on his mother’s word, his stomach turning once more as he felt remorse that he had not returned her embrace but two weeks ago in Auril.

b9254657235ff20fce0aad773acf3890.jpg

Palace of the Just, Shiek

The Hroniden Peace Summit
Serpentine, 21st Year of the New Age
A collaborative effort between Terra, Galren, Robespierre, and Bishop

The Lords of Hroniden agree to suspend hostilities, recognizing the Birchian invasion of Vahamil as a universal threat. Under the leadership of Grand Paladin Duncan of the Holy Paladin Order, the lords agree to marshal their armies and take Vahamil, to hold as a neutral territory in defense against the west.

Duncan sat alone in his chambers, generously provided by the Padishah of Shiek. It was a large room, complete with a seating area, a large bed, and a balcony that gave a breathtaking view of the Amenra River. Tapestries lined the walls depicting the Muthaqaf, the cyclical struggle of beginning and end. Great feathered beasts fought fantastical battles in the eternal depictions woven into the tapestries. Muthaqaf, as the old ones at the Light Basin say, is the endless battle between order and chaos, a fitting source of meditation before the summit.

A crisp morning wind blew through the silk curtains, bringing in the scent of rain from the hazy day outside.

It was time.

After a day or so of settling in, the Emirate of Shiek had successfully received all invited parties to the eagerly awaited and dreaded summit. With careful consideration, and with some hard nudging from his wife, Sabir decided to have the meeting within the Palace of the Just. However, the stipulations were for the throne room to be converted into a hollowed out space, save for four rectangular tables. Everything else from the rows of worn benches to the artifacts, artwork and tapestry was hauled out. These wooden tables would be large enough to seat the leader of each faction in addition to two of their retinue. Hasam sat next to Duncan himself, but not before carefully arranging the tables so that the Padishah faced his ally, Shah Salah Al-Aziz Nasir Fatumid. Shah Rostani,conversely, was assigned to sit across from Lord Jayr Arshad. A mere 10 feet separated them all. One other stipulation was put into effect: only these men were to be allowed in, Shiek’s High Blades would be absent but so would most of the varied group’s own guards. Thanks to General Mahmed’s quick reminder, all weapons were banned from the converted room.

Once all the men were seated, Sabir took to the floor to open the event. His usual regalia was adorned for all to see, golden robes accompanied by a pearly white sash.

“Honored leaders of all of Hroniden, welcome to the Emirate. I am greatly humbled by your arrival and presence. This is truly a dark moment...for the Birchians. I will not prattle on with more formalities and cut straight to it. The purpose of this summit is to address the on-going war threatening to rage across our proud lands, and the lurking shadow that watches from a-not-so-far distance. Before we begin the process of airing out grievances, starting with Lord Arshad going first and then Shah Rostani, I will allow Grand Paladin Duncan to speak and give us any and all the information we need in this matter. Considering I do not seek the Desert Crown and Shiek is, despite being an ally of Damasiz, an overall neutral faction I will moderate strictly to move the discussion along and to untangle it in case cool heads are needed. With that said I once again thank you for coming here, Duncan you may proceed.”

The Grand Paladin rose from his seat, clad in shining plate, the sigil of the Order of Light emblazoned upon his chest, and a clean white robe flowing from his pauldrons. Rapping his knuckles against the table before standing rigidly in military fashion, the warrior priest spoke. “Thank you, Eminent Padishah. Indeed this is a dark moment for the Birchians, for it is my hope that this marks the beginning of their downfall. A lesson in history, my lords; After the heroic actions of the Lords of Light the Dark One was exiled from the world. The Dark hordes retreated back across the Wilds, and we were left in relative peace. The influence of Dreagar broke, and the minions of the Black Isle retreated to their Jagged Spire. This left a vacuum of power across the Ashlands. This power has been filled, the scattered tribes and peoples across the shores of Sangwa Bay were united by the legions of Birch. Worshipped as a God, Birch is said to live still, his fallen spirit residing in a sword!”

Duncan shook his head before continuing. “Their blasphemies aside, what is our concern is the strength of Birch’s armies. Thousands of their fallen march on Vahamil, up to six thousand by our estimation. My lords, that is but the tip of the spear. Thousand more lie in reserve. Where do you suppose they will strike next? We must unite to answer this threat, and we must do so before it is too late. I implore you, my lords, set aside your rivalries, your war, and sign a peace so we may combat this common cause.” Rapping his knuckles against the table as if to accentuate his point, Duncan nodded toward Hasam and took his seat.

Gesturing, Hasam went on to introduce the leader of Mutikibir and the Council of Nine.

Lord Jayr Arshad rose from the table, offering a respectful nod to his host. Dressed in a cream coloured loose fitting shirt, embroidered with the three scorpions of his sigil, and an orange sash tight about his waist, Arshad was flanked by two others of the Council of Mus’ab al-Sayed and Farouf al-Abdou.

Arshad took a slow sip of chilled water from a goblet before him, as if savoring the moment that the mighty lords of the desert kingdom were waiting upon his word. “Duncan of Westmarch speaks of doom and woe, as if a serpent lies upon the horizon ready to strike. Yet how do we know this to be the case? Take him at his word? I agree that the Birchians are a menace, but to march to war? Mutikabir is racked with grief, our great city bleeds, and we are to pull shades over our eyes, blind ourselves to the threat just before us and go off into the desert chasing ghosts? What guarantee could we possibly have that the Herasnian aggressors would honour a truce? They’ve exhibited only war mongering and treachery, going so far as to attempt to burn down the jewel of the desert with rabid mobs! Tell me, Shah Rostani, why we should accept a banner of truce from you, if that is indeed your intent? How will you rectify your many transgressions?” The man sat down, setting a cool gaze upon Rostani.

Zaahir Rostani had frowned a bit during Arshad’s speech, but kept a neutral expression for most of it. Masoud, sitting next to him, looked quite pale when it was passed over to Zaahir. This was going to be a long summit. “Lord Arshad, I will explain the motivations behind my actions, something that is probably long overdue.”

“Yes, please do!” Arshad interrupted, waving his hands in a gesture of anticipation. “Mobs roam and an army marshals at our gates. It would be a great comfort knowing we were afforded some explanation.” One of the lord’s accompanying Arshad, Mus’ab al-Sayed whispered in Arshad’s ear, but was waved off with a dismissive hand.

Zaahir simply continued after Arshad’s interruption. “Lord Bashk had asked for my assistance in dealing with a riot in the Sixth Ward of Mutikabir. As his ally, I was obligated to send assistance and did so as quickly as I could. In my haste, I failed to inform the council that I was sending forces to assist Lord Bashk. I was hoping that Lord Bashk would inform you of my forces entering the city.” Zaahir stopped to give Arshad an opportunity to comment.

Arshad leaned back in his seat, unimpressed. “Lord Bashk has been revealed to be a traitor, plotting to supplant the Council with the Ayyubid imposter. He confessed! Do go on, Shah Rostani. This is riveting,” he mocked.

In panic, Masoud was frantically whispering with Zaahir. Zaahir was contemplating about the next events for some time, then whispered back to Masoud. Masoud, smiling for once since he entered Shiek, nodded in approval. Zaahir then turn back to face Lord Arshad. “When my forces arrived, they were greeted by the sight of archers, bearing your banner, aiming down at them. This clear threat made my forces camp near the city, waiting for some response from either the Council or Lord Bashk.” Zaahir balled his right hand into a fist and rested it on his chin before continuing. “I find it odd that my forces were not told right away why they were being barred entry into the city. In fact, this is the first time I have heard that Lord Bashk was considered a traitor by the council. Lord Arshad, could you explain how the council first suspected that Lord Bashk was plotting against it? I would think that you would need strong evidence to have the council agree on interrogating anyone, let alone one of the members of the council.”

“Mutikabir is not beholden to you, Shah Rostani,” Arshad replied. “Riots threatened the tranquility of Mutikabir and you came upon our gates with a host of armed men. We were not about to open the gates to you until the riots were quelled and an investigation took place. That is how we uncovered Bashk’s treachery. Not only that, but we learned the imposter was among your ranks outside our very gates! Yet when I reached out to you, pleading for peace and for a trial to determine the identity of the imposter, what did you do? You fled from bowshot and sent reinforcements to brace for a siege!” Arshad looked upon the members of the summit. “Do you see why I doubt peace can exist? Already Shah Rostani takes liberty of Mutikabir, demanding we answer to him! He has committed treachery in the face of truce before, and he will do so again. Curious, isn’t it, that it was just after this that Ayyubid’s mobs became ravenous once again, and they are still!”

Zaahir turned to Masoud and asked, “Hand me Lord Arshad’s offer of peace.” Masoud handed him an opened letter with a seal. “Is this your seal, with the three scorpions, Lord Arshad?”

Arshad leaned over the desk to view the letter. “Indeed it is, Shah Rostani.”

“Excellent. Then I shall read it for all to hear.

“Lord Zaahir Rostani,

It is in the pursuit of peace and reason that I pen this letter, and out of respect of your father. I give you this one opportunity to march your army from Mutikabir or face the combined might of the Council. We will not flinch in bringing arms against any whom we deem a threat to the tranquility of Mutikabir.

It has come to our attention that you house the Ayyubid Imposter among your ranks. There are many that argue you, my lord, are responsible for the pretender's rise, especially in light of your recent show of aggression. I, however, hope that you are merely a victim of circumstance and silken words, and pray to the Light you will adhere to my just request.

Relinquish the false man who goes by the name Nasir al-Din Ayyubid into the custody of the Council, where he will be tried for committing malicious conspiracy against Mutikabir. If what he claims is true, then I assure you he will be vindicated and released.

You have but one day to disband and turn the pretender over to the city's custody.

Jayr Arshad.”

I will pass the letter over so that the others can verify its contents if they wish.”

Zaahir then handed the letter over to Padishah Sabir. [The others in the room are looking over the letter and see that what Shah Rostani said is accurate to the contents of the letter.]

Hasam reached out to look over the contents of the letter, scanning it rather intently. “I wonder how legitimate this letter is…” He thought. He would have to take the man at his word, for now. Satisfied he returned the parchment and continued to look on stoically.

Once they were satisfied with the authenticity of the letter, Zaahir continued his explanation of the events. “I will note an important piece of information that is missing from this letter: the Council arresting Lord Bashk under the suspicion that he was a traitor and conspiring with the imposter this letter asks me to turn over. Without this information, I did not know what happened to Lord Bashk and assumed that he had been executed without good reason by to the Council. I assumed that the same would happen to Nasir al-Din Ayyubid if I turned him in, and I was unwilling to let him go to what I assumed would be an unfair trial where he would be sentenced to death. After that, I did not respond to your letter with my decision and explanation, thus making my actions look far more aggressive than they actually intended to be. Thus, the conflict was escalated and we have come to today.”

Lord Arshad was about to speak when Zaahir raised his hand. He still had much more to say.

“I believe that Nasir Ayyubid is a cause of our conflict. To you, Lord Arshad, Nasir Ayyubid is a fanciful dream, a myth, and an impossibility. All of the Ayyubids were killed years ago, and any who masquerade as one of them is simply an imposter, no question about it. Correct?”

“The Ayyubid line is dead.” Arshad said simply.

Hasam spoke out, “Shah Rostani, do you have -any- proof of the man’s lineage? I believe at least one man is skeptical of Nasir’s claim to the throne given past events.”

“Of course he doesn’t!” Arshad bristled. “Why else would he turn down our demands for inquiry?”

“I do not believe there was anything physical that could outright prove his lineage. I thought your unfair inquiry and trial would claim the life of the only person besides myself that can prove his identity: Jabir ibn Hayyan, a professor from the University of Mutikabir and Nasir’s tutor. Ismat Ayyubid, the mother of Nasir Ayyubid, died in childbirth and my father, Asad Rostani, died some time ago. I doubted that I would be able to testify for Nasir because you accused me of being deceived by Nasir Ayyubid.”

“Ah yes,” seethed Arshad. “Seems the only way to placate you is offer you a seat on the Council of the Nine!”

Zaahir responded calmly, “I do not want a seat on the Council. I only want to explain how Nasir Ayyubid was escorted safely out of Mutikabir.”

“Yet you demand to know the inner workings of the Council or sick an army upon our gates, but proceed,” Arshad said with a wave of his hand.

Zaahir continued without responding to Lord Arshad. “When Sultan Nasir Ayyubid was killed, two factions were formed because there was no clear heir to the throne. The bastard son of Nasir, Tahir al-Din, led one faction while the other faction stood behind Ismat and her unborn child. My father was prepared to escort Ismat out of the city in case if something terrible happened. Thus, when Tahir successfully attacked the faction of the unborn Nasir, my father was able to escort Ismat to safety in Almeria. In the confusion of the battle, Tahir was killed while Ismat and her child were assumed to be dead. I already explained the rest.”

“Is there anything else to add?” Changing glances Sabir turned his head towards Arshad. “What about you?”

I don’t buy these lies for a moment,” Arshad replied. “Convenient that Ayyubid and this, this, Hayyan are not here to stand up to judgement. This is not proof, it is a children’s tale.”

Zaahir conceded, “Well then I don’t know how I can convince you.”
“The topic of succession as one may have noted is very contentious. If it pleases this summit, we could issue a summons for these men to stand under the light of questioning and analysis. But, supposing this was agreed upon, we must continue onto the other issues. Lord Arshad, would you be amenable to giving Rostani’s claims a thorough inquiry?”

Arshad raised his chin in a dignified manner. “Why Padishah Sabir, that’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

“Interesting. If we are to continue this topic, I must recommend that the very patient, Salah Al-Aziz Nasir Fatumid, The Emir of Damasiz, take center stage to speak on the matter or...to bring up a whole new topic. Once he is finished I will add to the conversation.” The meeting’s moderator nodded at all those present.

“Thank you. While you were bickering like small children both wanting the same piece of candy, I have been thinking about the Desert Crown and whose head it would be most wise to place it upon.” When he said this, he look Duncan in the eyes for a second, feeling an urge to throw him out of the window, before turning his head to the other lords, “and I truly am the best candidate to rule a united Hroniden forward against both internal and external threats. We need a strong ruler not only capable of leading troops to glory on the battlefield but also being able to speak to his population. We also need a ruler who is an actual descendant of the Ayyubids. We all know that the Ayyubid dynasty died in the most gruesome ways and none of them are left. Even though some claims to be of that family. I for one, is a descendent of the Ayyubids. The woman who gave birth to me was Niesha Ayyubid. I believe, and I do believe others will agree, that I am the best candidate, meeting all three criterias. So, we can stay in the darkness without united leadership and we have all seen where that goes, don’t you agree? Or we can unite and fight Hronidens enemies.”

Nodding Sabir interjected. “If the Emir of Damasiz has nothing further to add then perhaps it is my turn. Succession will be a rather contested affair given that not one but two apparent descendents of the fabled Ayyubid line seek the Desert Crown. Personally, I am open to admitting the aforementioned men to stand for questioning and verification to put Rostani’s words to the test. However, I would like to know if anyone else wishes for this. Lord Arshad, based on his previous statements, seems open to this. Are there any objections? Another question to put to the warring parties, specifically Mutikibir and Herasnia...would the possible solution of paid reparations in exchange for all seized properties to be returned to the late Lord Bashk’s next of kin and if applicable to Lord Rostani be amenable to the two sides? To ensure peace.”

Jayr Arshad spent a moment conferring with his fellow lords before he spoke. “Mutikabir may agree to a temporary peace if certain conditions are met… Regarding Nasir Fatumid, he must forfeit his laughable claim to the throne. Niesha Ayyubid is of impure blood, of an obscure branch of the Ayyubid line, born from bastards and adulterers. Now I have the utmost respect for Emir Nasir and Damasiz, but to cling to this failed branch does him no honour.”

Salah Al-Aziz felt a great urge to throw Arshad out of a window and whispered to his guard that promptly turned around and left the room. Then he spoke: “And this comes from the man who no honour has. You dare call my deceased mother born from adultery when you yourself most likely is born from such circumstances, village boy. Your scheming have destroyed several of your relationships and now your untactful tone has destroyed another one. Congratulations on your most gracious accomplishment. We all know that you do anything in your power to cling unto power in Mutikabir and this is the reason you do not want unity in Hroniden. You want to keep your corrupted body in power of the council of “nine”. Do you want another war against darkness that last time destroyed Hroniden, had the cultist salt the fertile lands and destroy the livehoods of thousands. Do you want that, ‘Lord’ Arshad”?

Arshad fixed Salah with a steady gaze. “But a moment ago you implied your terms for unity was the Desert Crown. It is you is desperate for power, Emir, not I. I have made no claim to the throne, so do not hold me to that standard.”

“I’m holding you to the standard of your wretched personality and lack of honour. And I never mentioned it was a term for unity did I? I said having a sultan would be best for unity. And I have no doubts that you yourself want the Desert Crown. In fact, I think nobody would hesitate to say that.”

“Yes, yes, having a Sultan would be best for unity,” Arshad said with a dismissive wave of his hand. “So long as it’s you, hmm? The meaning in your words was clear, Emir Nasir. Yet we are not here to discuss who shall hold the crown, it's a temporary peace we seek. If you are here to drivel on to the contrary then I fail to see your purpose here. Yet if you wish to cling to this abhorrent branch of the Ayyubid’s so be it. Consider my previous term rescinded if that pleases you, Emir?” The last word uttered with particular venom.

Salah steely gaze became cold and he could feel his hands twitching for some actions. He looked at the window, it was open. A prime opportunity. Still, he refrained. “I was told that I could bring up a whole new matter for this summit which I did. Also, you call it a temporary peace as if you want to fight once more, which I don’t believe would be fruitful for anybody; not you that’s for sure. Also, if you want me to leave this summit it can be arranged, just say it clear and it’ll happen.”

“Ah, so you sink to threats for pointing out the falsehood of your claim. There is great animosity in Hroniden, and I am of the understanding that the purpose of this summit is to suspend our grievances to answer an outside threat. Mutikabir is willing to do so, but know that we do not recognize your claim to the Desert Crown. It is not for me to say, whether you shall stay or go, but up to our host. So I will tolerate your presence at his insistence.”

Salah clenched his fists, staring at man he know truly despised. To whom he said: “I do not threaten anyone. I have reason to. Also, you said that you failed to see my purpose here, which is undermining the summit considering that if I leave it falls into pieces and there will be no united front against the western cultists.”

“Gentlemen, please,” piped up Lord Mus’ab al-Sayed, on of the two Misir lords that flanked Arshad. “This is getting us nowhere. Emir Fatumid, know that Lord Arshad speaks for himself when he questions your presence here, and of your mother, whose honour and grace is well known in Hroniden. Please do not take his words as that of the Council of Nine.”

Arshad’s eyes bore into Sayed’s for a moment before wavering. “Yes, I was speaking for myself, of course. It was indignant, and I apologize.”

Salah’s stare became less cold and he said: “Thank you Lord Mus’ab al-Sayed. And I accept your apology Lord Arshad.”

“Very well,” said Arshad dejectedly, taking a sidelong look at Mus’ab. “On to our proposed terms then. The Council of the Nine will not be returning the lands of House Bashk as Lord Bashk was a confessed traitor and his rights and lands were deemed forfeit by the majority of the Council. We will, however, relinquish the estates belonging to House Rostani back to his noble person, despite our disagreements. However, in return, we deem it just that Shah Rostani confesses his role in masterminding the riots that plague our city and pays restitution to the amount of 5,000 crowns. We also deem it prudent that a hostage exchange take place to guarantee the peace. The Council is prepared to offer Lord Mus’ab al-Sayed in exchange for a prominent member of Rostani dynasty, to be held in good faith and treated in a manner befitting their stations. Should the Shah prove noble and wise and in agreement, then we will have peace.” Mus’ab’s face paled considerably.

Hasam spoke cautiously, “I thank all those who have aired their grievances today, and while the situation of the Crown is profound, it could not be ignored. Despite the intensity of the convictions of the men present, dialogue and not swords was the best option.With that said, those are rather interesting terms. What say you Lord Rostani?”

Zaahir was pondering the deal before he asked a question. “How long will this hostage exchange last?”

“Until the conclusion of armed efforts in the Vahamil Steppes, if that is agreeable,” Arshad replied.

Zaahir looked relieved after hearing the length of the hostage exchange. Before continuing, he quietly discussed with Masoud, who was seemingly more stressed than he was during the summit. Zaahir then faced Lord Arshad and gave his answer. “I will concede that I was the one to make aggressive actions against you, Lord Arshad. However, I have no involvement with the riots going on in Mutikabir. Perhaps the reemergence of Nasir Ayyubid and his presence near the city inspired riots among those still loyal to the Ayyubids? On the issue of the hostage exchange, I will send my son, Shakur Rostani. I do believe that this hostage exchange favors you more, though. With that in mind, perhaps the reparations can be lowered to 3,000 crowns?”

Arshad looked to the lords who flanked him, earning only a sallow look from Mus’ab. “That is agreeable to the Nine, Eminent Shah Rostani.”

Hasam felt the need to chime in, “Lord Arshad, I sense reluctance on your end, or I may be wrong but if I might…” Pausing for a moment the Padishah gave his idea some thought. Once his thoughts were reorganized he continued, “Considering your present situation in the city, I would like to further smooth over this potential peace deal with an offer of sending food caravans to your city to help relieve the situation. Granted, I have no timetable but I would like to sell you food, to help in this process. I am no instigator of this present conflict, but as an act of good faith.”

The Misri lord nodded. “A shipment of food could alleviate the effects of the riots, its true. I assume, being an act of good faith, your offer is at a reasonable cost, and not for profit?”

“Reasonable cost. Cheaper than say, being sold weapons or slaves.” A subtle grin danced across Sabir’s lips.

Arshad frowned, but finally nodded. “Let us hash out the details later, than.”

“Wonderful. So to be clear, has this peace, if only temporarily, been agreed upon?”
The leader of Shiek dared to hope.

“The Council of the Nine can agree to such, given the meeting of the aforementioned conditions,” Arshad stated.

Standing up the Padishah turned moderator nodded. “Well then, if it is true then a critical portion of this summit is complete. But there remains another, how best to deal with the threat of the cultists. If the men of this room wish to commit troops, there will need to be coordination. Given, I am sure, each of us would like to have ourselves or someone of our retinue lead this grand force, I believe a compromise can be found.” A gesture to Duncan followed opening him up to elaborate.

Duncan rose, unfurling a map of Hroniden and Vahamil across the table. “I defer to the wisdom of the eminent lords of this company,” he began, “but I believe I have the formation of a plan in mind.”

“Continue paladin Duncan, I am sure all in this room are quite curious as to what you plan.”

Duncan thrust a finger down upon the Light Basin. “The Holy Paladin’s are in an advantageous position to disrupt Birchian supply lines and confront reinforcements seeking to worm their way into the Steppes. While we force the gap between Malarx and Vahamil, Hronidian forces drive into Vahamil from the northern Amenra River, while a tertiary force maintains a defense over the Hronidian border to prevent a counter attack. Now,” Duncan continued, clearing his throat, “It would be best to have a force aid us at the Basin, as we will likely take the brunt of the Birchian forces. So to be clear, an army to assist at the Basin, one to spear the assault on Vahamil, and another to maintain the defense of Hroniden,” He looked at the gathered lords expectantly, awaiting their reactions.

Salah al-Aziz cleared his throat and said: “While this does sound like a good plan, how do you know that the cultists will not be too busy slaughtering elves? Do you have any reports of skirmishes with Birchian forces or have your scouts reported that they are moving on the Light Basin?”

“Thus far the Cultists have avoided our patrols, and stayed clear of the Basin. Yet that doesn’t change the fact that they have us encircled. According to our scouts, the Birchians have gained a formidable foothold, and the Elves have failed every effort to drive them back. I doubt the Fae have more than a year of fight left in them.”

“The Pathfinders of Shiek have been giving me scarce intel and rumors that the cultists are consolidating their hold in the Steppes, pausing their offensive. Though there are reports that covert action has been taking place in the form of assassinations. Estimated time before they fall, when the rains end.”

Zaahir shrugged when Salah turned to him. “I have no intel on the situation with the elves.”

“Assuming there is nothing further to give in terms of information,” Sabir looked at each of the men, “With no real objection to the plan...who will lead the forces overall?”

“I believe Paladin Duncan should lead the forces overall,” Zaahir began answering, “since he has a much better grasp on the situation than any of us here, plus he was the one that requested our assistance, not the other way around.”

With a nod Hasam gestured to the Paladin. “I concur. And how does the rest of the summit feel about this?”

“You speak wisely, my lords. If there are no objections, I believe Emir Fatumid would serve us best leading the tip of the spear, driving at the Birchian heart within the steppes. Shah Rostani, I'd like you and your forces aiding the Holy Paladins at the Basin, and Padishah Sabir will maintain the defence of the border and ensure the security of our supply lines, with Mutikibir commanding the reserves. Is this sound, my lords?”

After a long pause, at least for the Padishah, he responded. “I shall do my best with General Mahmed to keep an eye on the borders. What of our various fleet forces?”

“Ships should maintain a defence of the Amenra Delta,” Duncan replied. “Ensuring no raiders can assault from the rear. The Amenra will be vital in ferrying supplies to the front. I am confident the gathered fleets of Damasiz and Shiek can protect the Delta, with Mutikabir defending further up river.”

“A sound plan for the navies,” Zaahir commented. “There are various lords throughout Hroniden that I have contacts with. All together, they number around 3,500. Should I try and see if they will join our cause?”

Duncan nodded. “Yes. I'd prefer as many troops as you all are able to muster. Our largest force should hold the Basin, as that is where I believe their axe will fall. Yet I am aware that some of you may bulk at this. Do what you think is prudent, and if you feel the burden is too much, we may call on others for aid, but this will only slow us down.”

“I will need some time to muster the forces and prepare for the coming conflict. But they will be ready. However, I will be upping my estimates. There are three questions to address if there is nothing further to speak of, they are rather crucial to our aims.” The summit’s host waited for their potential replies.

With the rare silence given, Hasam deemed it was time to move into the potential postwar phase. “Is our goal to secure the Steppes or are we going further? And if we do secure the Vahamil Steppes, who will own it?

“It only has any value as a defensive position. Owning it will likely be a net loss for anyone, so maybe it should be a shared area between the Hroniden lords to be a defensive position. And concerning on how far we are going to go, I think it would be prudent to beat the Birchians so bad, that they’ll have to use over one thousand years to recover. Hopefully on the steppe.”

Zaahir agreed with most of what Salah said about the Steppes and defeating the Birchians. “I will support keeping the Steppes as neutral territory among the lords of Hroniden. And we should thin the Birchian numbers quite a bit so that they can’t simply bounce back easily.”

“Right,” With two out of three answered the last one would be rather intriguing. Hasam more or less knew what the third answer would be, or so he thought. Clarification was always good. “And what of the Elves themselves?”

“There will be so few elves left that they won’t matter,” stated Salah. “I guess they can continue doing whatever they do, as long as they don’t disturb us.”

Zaahir frowned a bit at Salah’s indifference towards the elves. “We should at least offer them a chance to go back if they desire. Otherwise, they can stay.”

“That is what I’m saying,” Salah replied. “But we shouldn’t give up an inch of the land we need to defend. The elves are being slaughtered by the Birchians which clearly shows that they have tactical mindset and thus cannot defend our western borders for us.”

“I cannot argue with that,” Zaahir concluded. “Is there anything you would like to add, Padishah Sabir?”

Raising an eyebrow he was genuinely caught by surprise, “None, I am in agreement. The lands will be held by us and if they wish to stay they can...and if they wish to go back to Galadriel, we allow safe passage through our areas.”

“Very well then,” Zaahir commented. “Since all of your questions have been answered, Padishah Sabir, this summit can be concluded?”

“Gentlemen, it has been my supreme and humble pleasure to have presided over this summit. I wish all of you safe travels on your return. May the powers that be bless us with fortune, glory and most importantly victory. This meeting has concluded.”

Duncan pushed back from the table with a satisfied grunt. “Very good, my lords. Such as it was in the days of empire, Hroniden was a bulwark against Darkness. So shall it be once more. Let us marshal our forces. Our war begins in the spring.”

As the sun sank in the west, casting crimson fingers across the sky, Duncan stood upon the battlements looking down upon the ships that debarked from Shiek’s port, the banners of the respective lords snapping in the breeze. He cradled an object in his arm, holding it close to him almost as a mother might cradle a newborn babe.

“Soon,” he said to no one in particular. Looking down, the object in his arms, a smooth round stone was black, dark as onyx as it had been for months. In the more tense moments of the summit he thought his plans had been thwarted. Yet it all came together, just as the stone said it would.

And the stone never lies.

Qrumly Gemlain stood before King Varian on behalf of the Ghullkazid delegation, his grey beard nearly brushing across the floor. He had long been a servant for the House Loghain, and so it was that he was chosen to head the the easterly trek, his loyalty and desire to travel well known. Deep within, Gemlain knew that this was his last grand adventure, and perhaps he would die before ever again setting gaze on Mount Kro of Ghullkazid. Pushing such thoughts aside, he presented the appropriate pleasantries before formally giving response.

"King Varian, it has been the policy of House Loghain since its exodus from the lands of Highathar that Ghullkazid should be a place for the many, the marginalized, the strange, the outcast. And since then, our King has committed himself to the freedoms of our people, unbound by the prejudices held by certain other realms. Our Kingdom has been the bastion of peoples from many walks of life, from across the gambit of ideals and creeds.

Thus, we find that your request is compatible with the beliefs of our Kingdom. If we allow ourselves to shelter all, then there is no exception to those professing the creed of the Light, despite our storied pasts. It is a new era for the kinship between the East and West, and our King finds no reason to perpetuate the prior animosity found between those who should now be united in commerce and peace. The High Mage Villion will be allowed his chapel of the Light, so long as he is found peaceful in his rhetoric and not inclined to enforce his doctrine, instead acting only as an opportunity for the interested of our realm.

And so too do we welcome the permission of a scribe from among your peoples to visit our Kingdom. It is true that for far too long, shadows clung across it - in more ways than one - and it is a travesty that its beauty is not better known. The peoples of Ghullkazid are a proud folk, hard-working, and good through and through, and so deserve to be written of. I say this not as boast, but as pride in how far we have gone, from those shunned from our very homelands to those now manning the apparatus of one of the most developed realms throughout the enigmatic westerlands."

Gemlain stroked his beard for but a moment, allowing himself to indulge in patriotism before resuming.

"Likewise, finding your points to be of great wisdom, we would ask of your person the very same. While the lands of Ecclestius are without doubt well-known and studied here in the east, very little is known of your ways and histories back home. If it would please the Crown, we would find it fortunate if a handful of our envoys were allowed to stay, to speak with your learned men and compile the knowledge gleamed."

With a gracious bow, Gemlain ended his statement and deferred to Varian.

25c8a6e285695aeb2ba08c4ad91edf39.jpg

Akkum Markets

Obligations and War
Winter, 21st Year of the New Age
Co-Starring Keinwyn

The stunted, golden grass parted before the feet of the cloaked figure. A cool wind sweeping across the plains with a high sun shining upon the black hood that obscured the face. Years ago a thick cloud hovered over this land, drowning out the Creator’s sun, leaving a permanent gloom. The figure looked up to curse the shining orb, before continuing toward the edge of a cliff, where a steep drop proceeded the endless expanse of the Southron Sea.

The figure pulled back her hood, freeing her obscured peripherals. Underneath was but a lighter niqab, black as night, and hiding her features save piercing black eyes. Though impossible to discern by mere look, this Drow has walked Agorath for over a thousand years. Bearing witness to the rise of Emperors, presiding over their fall, and seeing first hand, the terrible power of the Gods. She is the last of her kind. She is the last Maegi.

Before the cliff, a deep ravine cut deep into the land. Dead brambles and jagged rocks lined a winding road that disappeared into the wide mouth of a cave, the remnant of a river long gone. Now it was the entrance to Akkum, the Drow lair of Ayasún Eymür.

The Lady of Akkum had launched a campaign against the Uruk Orcs, seeming to target their mines. The Orcs had begun excavations and would hopefully serve as adequate means to supply the Jagged Spire, but the Akkum war threatened this arrangement. Coming to discuss terms, the Maegi hoped this would present an opportunity to gain a powerful new vassal for the Jagged Spire. Otherwise she would be compelled to make war, and Dreagar could ill-afford to be entangled in a confrontation in light of what’s to come.

Not to mention that the thought of defending Orcs against Drow left a bitter taste in the seeress’ mouth.

Ayasún, as ever languid in her disposition, lay with a general nonchalance in her private rooms, but nevertheless rose gracefully to greet her guest. “Maegi, I presume I call you such? Our own kind are always welcome here, whatever the circumstances.” Aya smiled without guile.

The Maegi bowed respectfully as she entered, offering a slight smile. “Lady of Akkum. Please do, for time erodes all things, and for one around as long as I, even names wither away.” The Jagged Spire sorceress wore a black robe that shimmered different colours in the light, all dark tones of violet and blue. A hood was drawn up over her head, and a veil masking her face, save for piercing black eyes.

“Please, no bowing, we are not posturing easterners to demand such. But please sit, we may talk frankly as equals.” Aya gestured at the cushions that littered the floor. “Can we offer you anything? A drink perhaps?”

“That would be most welcome. My travels have afforded me little by way of comforts, and whatever you have will suit me well,” the seeress replied, taking a seat on the cushions across from Ayasún.

“Well, If you say that, I cannot help but be tempted to mischief.” Aya moved to the corner of the room where a decanter stood on the floor, along with a number of goblet, which she filled. “It has quite a kick to it but I am sure you will enjoy it. Mayhaps you have even encountered it in your travels before?” She handed a goblet to the Maegi, the corners of her lips lifted in amusement. “We call it Raigi, but I am sure it goes by other names too.”

“Raigi?” She asked, taking the cup and swirling the liquid within. “Some form of wine?”

“We have not been here nearly long enough to cultivate vines.” Aya laughed happily. “It is certainly fermented though.”

“How mysterious,” The Maegi smiled, lifting the cup beneath her veil, taking a slow drink to allow the nuances of the flavour be captured by her tongue. “There is much about Akkum that is unknown to me,” She continued, swallowing the drink. “I hope my visit here will begin to unravel what is unknown, but I suppose we should talk on more prudent matters then my ignorance for now.”

Aya enjoyed the sensation of the drink hitting her stomach. “We are not a complicated folk. We live, love, fight, enjoy life and eventually die. We may not be nomads any longer, but we are not so divorced from our past.” She eyed the Maegi briefly. “Dreagar is equally a mystery to us. What interest might that distant place have in the happenings of our surroundings?”

“You are clearly wise, Lady Ayasún. The world has changed, and we must change with it, but to expel our past, one’s very roots, will only cause one to lose their feet. I see there is much we can learn from each other, and it is my intent to ensure we move forward as friends. Twenty years has passed since the war. While the east has rebuilt and grows strong, here in the west, we are perilously weak and divided. It is my hope to remedy this before the Lords of Light can strike.”

Aya took another sip and examined the contents of her goblet whilst she pondered what the Maegi had said. “What interest does the east have here? We have no great cities, no colossal population to enslave to the whims of their tyrants. Certainly, if I were growing fat from the labour of indentured minions I would not be eyeing these lands, yet you speak of more war?”

“Make no mistake, Ayasún. The Light armies will come. Wars break out across the Wilds, their aggression encroaching ever westward. Their greed propelling them to further conquests, and their lust for revenge will not be sated. I have seen it. They are coming.”

Aya shrugged “If they come we will fight them. It is our nature.” She said simply.

The Maegi’s piercing eyes seemed to smile. “Good. Now then, shall we discuss the unfortunate business that brought me here?”

“Unfortunate? I do not view it as such, we fought, those who took up arms knew what to expect, some died, those who didn’t knew victory and are therefore fortunate.” Aya smiled. “Living is a fortunate thing. Dying bravely is a fortunate thing. But by all means, let us discuss events. I am particularly interested in the magicks that inflicted such losses upon our cavalry. How do you bind the Trolls to your will?”

“I couldn’t agree more. I simply mean it is unfortunate that the Uruks were under my protection. I would have much rather come here free from such obligations, for I look after my own ferociously,” She held up a hand as if to urge peace. “Yet I believe such measures might prove needless. If we can come to terms.” The Maegi’s eyes looked searchingly into Ayasún’s.

“When children fight each other it is not to be lamented. It makes them stronger and forges friendships.” Aya smiled at her guest. “Would you be here had there been no fighting?” She paused for a while. “Terms. Hmm. We have at our side some much aggrieved by the Uruck who I would not abandon lightly. The resources we seek from them have not even been properly exploited. If it is strength against the east you search for, we can provide it far more unequivocally than some repulsive orcs.”

The Maegi’s eyes smiled once more. “Yes, yes, my dear Ayasún. Of that, I have no doubt. Dreagar is rising once again. Our influence grows. Not only the Uruks, but the Xolags, the Guags, our brothers and sisters among the Gallim and Ty’sum tribes, but it is Akkum’s allegiance I want Ayasún. This jewel of the Ashlands, Akkum, you, you belong at my side.”

“As I said earlier, we are not like those in the east. We do not acquiesce to bowing and scraping before those who demand it. Allegiance, like that given to one’s friends or kin is permissible, and we will fight beside you should the west decide to invade, but fighting makes us stronger also. Yielding benefits no one. For what use is a weak servant?”

“Then by all means, Lady of Akkum, fight on,” the Maegi said with a permissible sweep of her arm. “Would you do so while paying homage to the Jagged Spire, swearing fealty to myself and my king?”

“For what purpose? We value our ability to live as we please. We will fight where we please. We have interest in learning the methods by which you bind other, lesser, creatures to your will, but you come with dark words of eastern vengeance and demands of fealty? Forgive my scepticism, but I do not see the boon in this.” Aya leaned back and looked speculatively at the Maegi.

“If you do so, you will be left to continue your war, take from the mangy Uruks what is your pleasure, and my gifts would be bountiful, such as the power to bind the Ashen Trolls.” The sorceress leaned forward to stress her point. “If you do not, I will be compelled to protect my vassal.”

Aya smiled imperceptibly. “Come, let me show you Akkum.” She raised herself from her cushions and left her chambers without checking whether her guest was following. The Maegi tilted her head curiously for a moment before standing up and following her host. As Aya descended to the busy trade district below, she pondered how best to convey her feelings to the Maegi.

As they passed through the Drow hawking their wares many stopped and shouted at them to sample what they had to offer or called out in greeting. Aya turned to her guest. “They do not bow to me. They are free to do as they please. They accept me as their leader but I am simply me. Not a great Lord or King to be revered or worshiped. I cannot - will not - give them in vassalage to a foreign master, even if that individual is a drow. It is not our way. Should the east come to our door we may stand side by side, but my people lead their life as they choose.”

“You have their love,” the Maegi said with a hint of disdain. “I fear then it is our place to be enemies at least for a little while.” Her eyes smiled, her voice turning amiable.. “You will grow strong fighting the Uruks indeed, Lady of Akkum. Are you sure this is the course you will take?”

“If you demand naught but subjugation, then there is nothing I may offer you, it is not our way. Perhaps we may work together in time.”

“I fear that is all I may offer that negates my obligation to the Uruks.” Her eyes frowned. “I insist that once you’ve had your fill of Uruk blood we meet again, to forge a new bond beyond enemy, and vassal and liege, but a friends.”

“I can admire one who would honour her obligations.” Aya smiled warmly. “Perhaps we may have a fruitful relationship in time.”

“I look forward to it,” She said, her eyes shining as she stepped back, fading into the sea of Drow who walked about the streets of Akkum.

To King Loghain Warjaw,

With the conquest of the wilds now successfully completed I had hoped that further cooperation between our two Kingdoms might be in order to ensure the general prosperity of both. For eons east and west have stood divided over religion. The wars of our past, the zealotry of those times forcing us again and again into renewed conflicts. However I see an end to that now. There is only one answer, enlightened rule by enlightened rulers. We must disavow religious fanaticism be it from the Darkness or the Light. In this spirit of cooperation, and enlightenment I suggest we both fund a new project together. For eons the Wilds have been, well wild. But with my forces having finally vanquished some of the last barbaric orc tribes in those lands I believe work to civilize them can now go forward. For many years your dwarves have labored to build decent trading relationships with the east. I believe I can help with that, together we could build a road stretching from Ghulkazzid to Goi'Orka. Patrolled along its entire breadth and protected against bandits and raiders it may well increase trade ten fold. While also allowing for the speedier transport of people and goods between East and West, and for the wilds to be settled much more quickly by those drawn to the wealth and wonder that our new route may bring. I hope you also see the great benefits of my proposal and will join me in this project.

-King Oruk, Lord of Goi'Orka Conqueror of the Wilds