• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is "The War of the Paintings: The struggle against Hannover", well, it very well could be if either the British or Prussians decide to involve themselves. But still, good update old chap! We can only hope that it goes smoothly...........

Nice update, it seems clear those evil Hanoverians must be punished for this act of theft. Now it is clear the Dutch armies shall crush them and teach them a lesson :D

Wow,I have a hard time trying to get on this forum, seems to have some server problem. Anyway some replies to your comments.

Thanks for your concern Stnylan, BBDB, Ksim3000 and Coz1. Let me be frank here if Hannover is allied to Prussia, you would have to kill me and roll over two times :rofl: before I even dare to attack them. No, I was just clicking around when I discover Hannover is not allied to Prussia or Austria and not even a satelite of UK. Suprised, I took my chance and declare war on them. This is around the 1850's. Change thing do happend when I play (remember the first re-unification war).

Oranje Verzet - Don't you worry those thief will never have a chance to set foot in Groningen!!

Lord E - Of course the Hanoverians will get what they deserved and maybe more!!!

In a way, I think it's a calculated risk. By declaring war with Hannover, I will undoubtly upset the rest of the German states so in the future I must be careful.

One more thing. There seems to be some corruption in my hardisk. As a result I lost some of the screenie. Really sorry cannot shows you all the screenshots.

By the wat, FYI, I have played the game to 1900's. Yes. Netherlands still survived.

prussiablue said:
“Well, Simon what says our old King Ernest?”

“ Let just says that he picks the wrong option, Prime Minister”, reply the smiling Minister.
does this Minister like going to war? not "yes", but "hell yes! ! !"

awesome update! ! ! :cool:

no doubt, Hannover will be a delightsome addition to the Empire! :D

The German Letter

“Just a minute dear, just a few more words to add”

In response to your question, whether this war could be avoided, my truthful answer would be yes and no. His Majesty is wrong to assume the Dutch do not have the courage to go to war with us for the paintings stolen by his beloved nephew. After all, where does his Majesty think the word “Dutch Courage” came from? And why did His Majesty stubbornly protect the misguided Count, I am equally as clueless as the next man beside me. Maybe the saying Blood is thicker than Water really hold water in this incident (no pun intended).

But on the other hand one cannot but casts a suspicious eye on the over aggressive nature of the Dutch. As soon as His Majesty found out the mess created by the Count, he instantly summons the Dutch Ambassador to the palace and offer his sincere apologizes. That’s a first for a King! Somehow even his Majesty undertaking to investigate this incident fails to pacify the Dutch. My friend, I suspect someone on the other side of the fence is exploiting this crisis, well it shouldn’t have been called one. After all which civilized nation would declare war on another over a few lousy paintings??

I too like you mentioned heard rumour circulating in various courts in Europe that the Dutch government is eager to diverts the attention of their people from the painful memories of the Belgium incident. Well, if this war was to serves that purpose, I say they have done a bloody good job.

Oh yes, you want to know the detail of the war. Well then you wrote to the right person then. Not a day passed by when I do not go to the front to survey the situation. To summarize it my friend, The Dutch opened the invasion with a pincer attack on Emden and a direct assault on Lingen.

The assault on Emden was carried out by their 1st Corps from Groningen and 2nd Corps from Assre. Well I have to say I am most impress by their organization skill. The timing of this attack was precise. Later I was to find out this operation has been planned by a certain General van Vickers, Marshall van Vickers now. What about Lingen, you ask, well thanks to the treacherous act of the division commander in charge of the defence of Lingen, the Dutch were able to occupy Lingen without a single bullet being fired. In case you haven’t read yet, Henry Seyss-Inquart, that disgraceful commander, surrendered his whole division in exchange for some estates and of course his worthless life is spared. Oh how my blood boil at the thought of that name, I curse him and his descendent that they be known as traitors as long as they carry that disgraceful name.

After the collapse of the West Wall, so named by His Majesty himself, we are all but expose to the Dutch. Perhaps in hindsight if that treacherous dog has not surrendered we might be able to hold the Dutch long enough to persuade the British or your nation to interfere. Alas, history cannot be re-written by few mere words of mine. What follow next is just a mad rush to reach Hannover. The sight of the Oranje Army marching though the street is a haunting one. I remember seeing my neighbour together with his 8 years old son crying unashamedly in the open.

One person who still had a dry eye is His Majesty or should I say the late King Ernst August I. The late King obviously stunned and saddened by the act of Seyss-Inquart, went into a coma and never recover from it. His Majesty passed away (I don’t know whether peacefully or not) not knowing the fate of his kingdom on the night of 18-11-1851 just mere 5 days before General van Vickers and his army reached the outskirt of the city. The Crown Prince ascends to the throne the very next day bearing the name King George V. My apology for not inviting member of your government for the coronation simply because there was none!!! Poor King George V, his first task as the head of his new kingdom is to cede the province of Emden and Lingen to the Dutch as condition for ending the Dutch-Hanoverian War. Oh how the late king will turn on his grave if he knows this.

The late King Ernest August I

Oh yes you did asked what happened to the “Count”? Well the last I heard he was captured by the Dutch soldiers in a barn, outside of Munster. It too saddens me when I heard that both his hands were cut off by certain people for dirtying the Rembrandt’s pictures, so they claimed. Of course, the Dutch Army High Commission denied this is the act of their soldiers but one cannot but doubt the veracity of such statements. Who else would have the nerve to commit such barbaric crime?

Oh, it’s almost times for me to attend Court. His Majesty seems to be in a better mood today. He has been telling me the last few days how we must bolster the relationship between our fellow German states and that we German shall never ever fight among each other. I feel a sense of pride when such words reach my heart. I look forward to the day when you and I, my friend, can lead a united German army and torch down Amsterdam.

To err is human to forgive is un-German.

Excerpts from a letter dated 2nd May 1852 by an anonymous Hanoverian’s Minister to his Prussian counterpart.

Last edited:
A very interesting letter, a good way to describe a short, victorious war. But I wonder if this is not foreshadowing something more dangerous in the future.

Yes, it sounds very much like the Germans have plans for later - big plans. Let's hope the Dutch are ready for them. Fine work in the war. And that would be a terrible way to start a reign - having to give up territory. Nature of the beast, I suppose. The Hanovarians will think twice before they steal any more paintings, that I can assure you.

Oranje Verzet, Stnylan, Coz1 and BBBD,
Thanks for all your comments. Whether Germany will be created is a matter that is out of the Dutch hand. But one thing for sure this war has laid the bad seed betwen the Dutch and the German states. If Germany is indeed created they will have a direct claim over Dutch territories (Emden and Lingen).

Whether this is a coup or misadventure, only time will tell. But this does make the story much more interesting, don't you agree?

Nice work there, seems like it was some easy and short war giving great victories to the Dutch, but it is a little risky owning Germany territories if Prussia decides to do some work to get Germany unified, I guess you will be a target on their list then but still it makes the story much more interesting so it will be cool to see ahead what will happen :)

Maybe you could unify Germany as a Dutch puppet??? ;)

Grab that King Wilhelm by his mutton chop beard and drag him off for some schooling!! :mad:

Did I say that??? :eek: :D

Rensslaer

prussiablue said:
..But one thing for sure this war has laid the bad seed between the Dutch and the German states. If Germany is indeed created they will have a direct claim over Dutch territories (Emden and Lingen).

Whether this is a coup or misadventure, only time will tell. But this does make the story much more interesting, don't you agree?
excellent update! ! ! :)

methinks you have two options with the results of this war. one, (and, my preference) is to capture the rest of Hannover, if possible. (this may prevent the unification of Germany...) two, you could sell, or trade, those provinces to Germany at some time in the future.

personally, i think it is a coup. also, i agree that the story is "much more interesting" with the coup, emm, war. :D

GhostWriter said:
excellent update! ! ! :)

methinks you have two options with the results of this war. one, (and, my preference) is to capture the rest of Hannover, if possible. (this may prevent the unification of Germany...) two, you could sell, or trade, those provinces to Germany at some time in the future.

personally, i think it is a coup. also, i agree that the story is "much more interesting" with the coup, emm, war. :D
Totally agree the story just got really interesting with advance in Hannovers territory. Would love to see a bigger Dutch empire messing about in Germany, if Prussia doesnt get really pissed real fast.

(Interview of Jan Krompkamp, former Commercial Director cum Head Trader (Batavia) of nVOC as appeared in the Financial Times 14th June 1852)

Smith : Thank you for your time and this opportunity Mr.Krompkamp.

Krompkamp : My pleasure, Anthony.

Smith : Can you let our readers know what have you been doing since leaving nVOC?

K : (chuckle) Wow, that was fast. As most of you aware, I resign as the Commercial-Director of nVOC after the Director-General election. Currently I just lazed around and involve in some charity works.

S : Most interesting. But surely you cannot expect our readers to believe the man nicknamed “Wizard of Rotterdam” will just “magically” disappear from the national scene.

K: (laughter) that was good. Now I know, why the Financial Times is willing to pay you top money, Anthony.

S: Thank you for your kind compliment, Mr.Krompkamp but I still owe the readers an obligation to ask you the question. Perhaps let me be more direct. Rumours in Fleet street has it, Lloyds Bank and even East India Companies have offered you a director post in their respective board. Can you confirm that?

K: (silent for few seconds) Yes. Lloyds and EIC did contact me with the possibility of joining them. In particular the offer from EIC was very tempting and lucrative but I rejected them outright.

S: Is it because you feel as a Dutchman and a previous employee of nVOC, you shouldn’t seek employment elsewhere, no less I presume in England of all places.

K: No. That’s not the reason.

S: Now you know I have to ask this question Mr.Krompkamp. The election, any particular reason why you lost to Mr.Koorne and are you bitter about your defeat?

K: (laughter) Well, the truth is after the election and in fact towards the tail end of my campaign I begin to question myself whether I am the most suitable person for the job. In hindsight, I have to say no. JP Koorne is the right man for the job because he got that one quality that is essential for the growth of the company.

S: And what is that?

K: The love of money.

S: But don’t we all love money. Why, I sure don’t mind a raise? (laughter)

K: I agree. But what I mean is his singular and dogmatic pursuit of this sole goal in life. Now how many people can do that? I can’t. He is a special one and in a way he earned my respect.

S: Wow, you make him sound like a monster of some kind.

K: No. You did.

S: Ops, I think I better change the subject. What is your opinion on the current Netherlands economy?

K: We are growing at an impressive rate. Another year of budget surplus. Now I am of the opinion the time is ripe for us to invest heavily in garment production and other more skill-incentive productions line. With the huge amount of raw materials we have from our colonies, it would be a complete waste for us to sell them in the world market. We ought to utilize these raw materials in our factories. That’s where the money is. Look at Britain. While we are still make penny out of canned foods and liquor while other industrialized nation are reaping in huge profit from building furniture and luxury clothes.

S: What’s your opinion on the recently concluded Dutch-Hannoverian War?

K: Politically it is an ill-advised decision. By annexing Emden and Lingen to our Empire, we are putting ourselves in the front line for further future conflict with the German states, Prussia, notably which I believe will use this incident to unite the Germans. Economically speaking however, Netherlands have benefited from the war, as Emden and Lingen have several factories and a sizeable skilled workforce.

S: One last question, Mr Krompkamp. Are you adamant in no accepting the Lloyds or EIC’s offers because speaking as an Englishman, I am sure these organizations will benefit greatly from your expertise and experience.

K: Anthony, I am flattered but no, I have other plan.

S: Now you arouse my interest. Pardon me for saying the last question was the final question but I just have to ask what is your other plan, Sir?

K: (chuckle) Well Anthony, you will be the first one to know that I am going into politics full-time.

You have very orginal ideas to put your info on the game into the AAR, its brilliant. And its just a great interview, i would just like to compliment you on this fine work.

Kromkamp fulltime into politics, YES!

(could you also drop by the co-op aar, we need the armaments minister ;) )

Mmm, let us consider, Korne was right man to be director-general because of his love for money. Does this mean that our interviewee considers himself to be the right man for politics because of his love for power? More accurately, do others?

The power to perhaps get back at Koorne, at least. ;)

Another creative way to get the information across, prussiablue. Very nice.